|Home||Reviews||Tools||Forums||FAQs||Find Service||ISP News||Maps||About|
how-to block ads
If you have a dedicated line running to the MPOE for your DSL connection, then you don't need filters.
But if you plug into a regular phone jack in your home, which shares the line with other devices, you will need to install the DSL filters on every phone jack in the house.
got feedback?DSL Extreme support page)
You may need your original Windows disc to complete setup, for a trouble-free install please have that CD handy.
1. Insert the DSL Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive. The setup prompt should appear automatically. If the prompt doesn't appear, double click on My Computer on the desktop and double-click on your CD-ROM drive, then double click on setup.exe.
2. When the prompt appears click on NIC Configuration.
3. In the Network Adapter Selection window, click on the small arrow on the bottom right and select your network card from the drop down menu. Then click OK.
4. Press OK on the window that displays 'Configuration Successfully Applied'
5. Select WinPoet on the main menu and follow prompts for install (You may need your original Windows disc for this part of the installation).
6. After WinPoet installation you may need to install the latest version of Internet Explorer, if so click on Internet Explorer on the main menu and follow prompts.
7. To configure your email click on 'Email Configuration' on the main menu.
8. Enter your username and Full Name and click on Configure. Then press OK.
9. Press Exit at the bottom of the main screen, and select YES to exit. Then reboot your computer.
10. When Windows reboots, double-click the WinPoet icon and enter your username as firstname.lastname@example.org and your password.
11. Click on Start, and prepare to be launched into the world of High-Speed Internet!
You will not be installing the DSL Setup CD for Windows XP, there is built in software to handle a Dynamic connection, known as PPPoE. The following instructions will help you configure your connection without using our setup CD. DO NOT INSTALL THE CD.
1. Click on the Start button, click on Control Panel, then double-click Network and Internet Connections (or Network Connections and skip step 2).
2. Click Network Connections, click Create a new connection in the Network Tasks pane to start the Network Connection Wizard, and then click Next.
3. Select Connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
4. Select Set up my connection manually, and then click Next.
5. Click to select Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password or Connect using a broadband connection that is always on.
6. Type in DSLExtreme.com as your ISP name, and then click Next.
7. Type in your user name in this format email@example.com
8. Type in your password. Type the password once more to confirm, and then click Next.
9. Click Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop.Then click Finish to complete the wizard.
MAC OS 8/9:
1. Insert the DSL CD into your CD-ROM drive. The setup prompt should appear automatically. If the prompt doesn't appear, double click on the Hard Disk on the desktop and double-click on your CD-ROM drive, then double click on setup.exe.
2. When the prompt appears click on NIC Configuration.
3. The TCP/IP manager window will appear. Click OK to configure your NIC.
4. Press OK on the completed configuration window.
5. Select MacPoet on the main menu and follow prompts for install. Be sure it is set on Easy Install then click on Continue. After install is completed, you may be prompted to restart your computer. After restart return to the DSL Setup CD main menu.
6. After MacPoet installation you may need to install the latest version of Internet Explorer, if so click on Internet Explorer on the main menu and follow prompts. It will create a folder with Internet Explorer 5 in it, just drag the folder to your Hard Drive to complete installation.
7. To configure your email click on 'Email Configuration' on the main menu. Enter your Real Name, Organization and username and password. The rest of the required information is automatically entered by the software. Then click Configure.
8. Press Exit on the main screen, and then select YES to exit.
9. Click on MacPoet on your desktop and enter your username as firstname.lastname@example.org and your password.
10. Click on Connect, and prepare to be launched into the world of High-Speed
MAC OS X:
1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu (In the upper left corner it is a picture of an apple)
2. Choose Network from the View menu.
3. Choose "Built-in Ethernet" from the Show Menu.
4. Click on the PPPoE tab and check the box Connect Using PPPoE, then click the TCP/IP tab.
5. Choose "Using PPP" from the Configure Menu.
6. Click in the box labeled DNS Configuration
7. Enter 22.214.171.124 in the first line of Name server addr box, press return.
8. Enter 126.96.36.199 in the second line of the Name server addr box.
9. Then click on the tab labeled PPPoE fill in the username with yourusername@
dslextreme.com and password. Click the PPPoE Options button. Check Connect automatically when using TCP/IP apps, click on OK. Click Apply Now.
got feedback?here for the full setup instructions on setting up a mail client.
The incoming server is: "mail.dslextreme.com"
The outgoing server is: "smtp.dslextreme.com"
If you choose to use webmail, you can login at »www.dslextreme.com/Webmail/Login.aspx
DSLX will begin the migration process from their existing email platform to a Google Apps powered platform sometime in August 2008. See this thread for more info:
»Google Apps Coming to DSL Extreme
got feedback?here and log into your personal webpage account.
Or, you can access your files via FTP. (The server is "ftp.users.dslextreme.com")
got feedback?here and it contains full setup details for console systems on the static/dynamic plans.
Wow. I get much snappier results with these DNS servers hard-coded in my router than with the default settings. Overall speed in the tools section has improved dramatically. Thanks for the tip!
For your username: Use your main DSLX account username. Format email@example.com (The one you log into the "Account" page with, or PPoE)
For your password: Use the password for your main account.
Thank you, AvonGenesis , for this link.