You purchased a laptop, a used Dell system, and don't know who the original owner is, or you bought it from ebay or www.usedlaptops.com. Dell will only help the original owner, however you can transfer ownership via this link. Now you can use the laptop without transferring ownership, however getting support or ordering CD's for the unit would be difficult at best.
If you know who the original owner is or their address fill it out appropriately. If you do not, you can still register it with the service tag, and express service code. For the previous unknown owner put "No information" for the first name and last name blanks of the previous owner.
2.5 hours later and 3 support numbers just to learn that... ridiculous I say myself. However as least this is here so you won't have to go through the problems I went through just to obtain that piece of information for transferring a Dell laptop.
Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
- How can one left Last Name empty when it is a mandatory field? I am unable to proceed ahead with the previous owner form as the empty last name field is not letting me cross the form. Any help on this would be highly appreciated.
- That was really helpful, I read this after 25 Phonecalls and 10 Transfers and dialing 4 Numbers to finally get the TAG transferred with warranty.
But thanks a lot for this post. It sure helped.
- leave the first name as "no information"? how about the last name leave it blank also? the address and zip code of the owner is required to fill up, you wont go to the next process if one of that required info is missing... any comments will be appreciate...thanks
by the way i have the service tag and express code,the owner is also known,but i am not sure if the zip code of the owner is correct. i sent it to dell but still not matching the info they have with the info i sent it to dell. I already attempt for the 2nd time but still did not match..pls help me about this problem . thankz
- Thank you!!!
- thank you soooo much, I have a laptop that has an Nvidia Class action suit problem, didn't know the original owner (bought used), and dell is extending the warranty for that issue 1 yr...I have 3 weeks left on that additional year. Since the laptop had the svc tag and express svc code and your info above, I was successfully able to transfer ownership. Great job helping out, keep up the good work :-)
- i purchased a 2nd hand laptop a week back and want to change the ownership. I do not know the previous owner details. How do I change the ownership in India?
- I tried this but unfortunately it did not work. Any other ideas on how to transfer ownership when original owner is unknown (purchased laptop from ebay) and laptop is still under warranty.
- That worked great. Thanks for saving me the time.
- Thank you for answering my question exactly!
by David edited by BA
last modified: 2006-02-09 13:08:20