Q: What are the speed caps? How fast is Shaw?
A: Shaw Speeds are always changing. To view Shaw's current internet bundles and speeds goto this website. »www.shaw.ca/en-ca/Produc ··· nternet/
Q: The speed is capped at 10 megabit per second, why can't I reach the cap?
A: There can be many reasons why you are not hitting your cap speed. If your speeds are just below the cap that is normal, you will never hit the cap right on. Even on some 3ed party speed test you may go over the cap.
Q: What does shaw consider to be fast and reasonable during peak-hours?
A: Despite common misconceptions peak times should not affect you as a customer, this is even more true now with the new DOCSIS modems Shaw offers. Shaw takes speed very seriously and you should always be getting close to your advertised speeds. If you think you are having speed issues at any time run Shaw's Speed test at »www.speedtest.shaw.ca
There are also other reasons you may be having speed issues such as:
- a slow computer
- bad network card
- your router/hub/switch
- virus on your computer
If you do continue to have speed issues it is recommended that you book a service call from Shaw.
Q: I am not getting great speeds, what can I do?
A: First thing to do is run the Shaw speed test at »www.speedtest.shaw.ca
if your speeds are not around the recommended speeds, things you can try include:
- bypassing any router/hub/switch you may be using
- try the speed test again in Safe Mode-with networking as this will rule out virus's or other software on your computer causing the problem.
- if you have an older Shaw modem (cybersurf, terayon) consider swapping it for a DOCSIS
- Call Shaw tech support for more assistance, and if needed book a service call.
-If a customer has Broadband 100 or higher package, they must be using a Cisco modem provided by Shaw in order to reach advertised speeds due to a lack of bonding channels on SMC modems, they have issues reaching those higher speeds even though they are DOCSIS 3.0.
Q: Is my speed good?
A: If your speed is meeting the advertised speeds (check here »www.shaw.ca/en-ca/Produc ··· nternet/) then your speed is good, but it may not be good for you, if you find your internet slow you may want to consider upgrading to a faster package.
Q: Does Shaw have a speed test?
A: Yes -> Shaw speedtest
You can also try BBR speedtest , speakeasy or
Speeds will vary depending on network conditions, Here is a list of common causes of slower than normal speed's:
- the speed of your computer
- the quality of signal your modem recieves
- the speed of your hub/router
- your OS
- your RWIN and tweak settings www.dslreports.com/tweaks
- the connection of the address you are accessing
- the location of the address you are accessing
- the quality of the backbones between you and the address you are accessing
- the peering arrangements between you and the site you are accessing
- the type and size of file you are using to base your tests
- the time of day
- the number of users on your node actively using the internet
- the number of users on Shaw's entire network
- network congestion in general
- packet loss
When in doubt best to give Shaw technical support a call there open 24/7
For information on Shaw Power boost please check here
This product currently is free for Extreme I subscribers
It costs $2.95 a month extra for regular high speed
For Nitro and lite internet subscribers please check the link above