|Home||Reviews||Tools||Forums||FAQs||Find Service||ISP News||Maps||About|
how-to block ads
2.1 Speedstream 5200
This modem can also be configured in bridge mode. In bridge mode, the modem does not perform authentication. You need to configure your operating system to connect for you (through Access Manager, RASPPPoE, or Windows XP), or use a broadband router to perform the authentication duties. There is a button available from the modem configuration menu that will put the modem into bridged mode so it will function properly with your home router.
To access the web interface, connect the modem directly to your computer (bypassing your router if you have one), release and renew your IP, then access the modem from »192.168.2.1 in your web browser. From there you can set up your B1 username and password for your account for router mode, or press the button on that screen to change it into bridged mode.
If you ever have to deal with Bell tech support on a line connection issue, you will need to reset the modem to router mode with a reset button on the bottom of the modem, so they can troubleshoot the default configuration.
This firmware is different from other versions of the 5200 available in the United States.
Sympatico has released a firmware update for some versions of the 5200 to address this issue. If it says "no update required" then it means your modem doesn't need this update. Get it HERE
I hook up directly to the Speedstream modem and can get to the WEB page at 192.168.2.1 however when I start up the firmware exe it just shows "searching for device" ..I waited over 5 min. I tried both connected and disconected to the internet..Can any one help? BTW great informaiton ...thanks for putting this together
Username: admin or bcadmin
Password: admin or bcadmin
Bell is sending out new modems with PPPoE enabled. The IP address of this modem is 192.168.2.1 and you do not need to create any ARP table entries.
IP Address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Windows 95, 98, ME
1. Right click on Network Neighborhood (My Network places)
2. Choose "Properties"
3. A new window will open
4. Highlight the TCP/IP bound to the Ethernet card that is connected to the DSL Modem
5. Click "Properties"
6. Choose the "IP Address" tab, specify, type 10.0.0.2
7. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
8. Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
9. Click "OK"
1) Right click "My Network Places" -> Choose "Properties"
2) Right click the icon for your Ethernet adapter -> Choose "Properties"
3) Highlight the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" listing
4) Click "Properties"
5) Click on "Use the following IP address"
6) Type in 10.0.0.2
7) Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
8. Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
1) Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel"
2) Click on "Network & Internet Connections"
3) Click on "Network Connections"
4) Right click on the icon for your Ethernet card connected to your DSL modem Choose "Properties"
5) Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click "Properties"
6) In the "General" tab check off "Use the following IP address"
7) Type in 10.0.0.2
8) Enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
9. Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
10) Click "OK"
11) Click "OK"
Your settings should look as they are above. DNS servers are assigned automatically by Sympaticos servers. If you do not have Sympatico, your DNS servers can be found in ipconfig /all under PPP Adapter
2) Creating an ARP Table:
Go into DOS / Command Prompt and type: arp -s 10.0.0.1 MODEM_MAC_GOES_HERE
Make sure to type the MAC address in this format: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
Type arp -a [displays] to verify, or arp -d [deletes current entries] if you need to correct something.
The modem MAC address can be found underneath the modem as shown above.
3) You're done! Just go to http://10.0.0.1/ and you'll be able to configure/view things from there.
*Note that you'll have to re-do an ARP table entry each reboot.
The older Bell firmwares are crippled. Look into 3rd party firmware if you want to see what the modem is really capable of.
Have fun! :)
google = hack speedstream 5200 you wil find your answer
Where do I make these changes in Vista?
Bell Canada Internet FAQ »Telnet with Speedstream 5200 E242
1. Make sure that you set your IP address to 10.0.0.2 and your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 10.0.0.1.
2. Start a DOS prompt or Command prompt.
3. OPTIONAL: Type arp -s 10.0.0.1 MAC Address (the MAC address is printed on the bottom of your modem)
4. Type telnet 10.0.0.1
5. Login is bcadmin and password is bcadmin
6. Once you are logged in issue the following command: show dsl stat
Also see this thread for more information: »Can't Telnet To A SpeedStream 5200 E240
got feedback?ICGABE's SpeedStream 5200 FTP program (The WinPcap library is required for this to work)
Open MS-DOS or Command Prompt, type "ipconfig /all", and write down the Physical Address.
Run the SpeedStream 5200 FTP program and fill in the required info. *Note that the Interface MAC is the Physical Address you wrote down earlier.
Finally, telnet to 192.168.2.1 with the login / password you set and enjoy!
--- DSL Status
DSL State - Up
CRC Errors 327 491
FEC Errors 1904 0
HEC Errors 0 16996
NCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
LOS Errors - 0
SEF Errors - 0
--- ATU-R Channel Info
Current Tx Rate - 800000 Current upload sync rate
Previous Tx Rate - 0
--- ATU-C Channel Info
Current Tx Rate - 3008000 Current download sync rate
Previous Tx Rate - 0
--- ATU-R Physical Layer Info
Current SNR Margin - 15.0 This is a measure (in dB) of how good your data signal is relative to the noise on the line. This should be a high number and in any case no lower than around 6 dB. If it's low you could find the modem gets data errors or even sync problems.
Current Attenuation - 30.0 Measures (in dB) how much signal loss there is on the line - this should be a low number and in any case should be no more than around 60-65 dB.
No defects detected
No loss of framing detected
No loss of signal detected
No loss of power detected
No loss of signal quality detected
--- ATU-R Line Status
Line Coding - DMT
Line Type - Fast If this line says "Fast", you are on fastpath. Otherwise your line is interleaved.
Actual ADSL Mode - G.DMT
Requested ADSL Mode - Multi
In the above sample results, the line potential is not revealed to the end user. However, we can examine the SNR Margin and Attenuation numbers. In this case, the SNR margin is 15, which is much greater than the minimum of 6, and the Attenuation is 30, which is much lower than the maximum of 60-65. Therefore, this line would likely qualify for a speed upgrade. How much of an increase is possible cannot be known from this data, but these numbers are good indicators.
Why? Nobody knows.
why is it normal ? What is it doing ?
Speedstream 5200 Command Line Interface
»Unlocking your Speedstream 5200 E242
»Port Forwarding with 5200.
Any idea why this doesn't seem to work for 2 of my friends' modems? I've unlocked a dozen of these before, but these 2 just bring me back to main user page with 3 side buttons, like locked version. Firmware and revision numbers of modem triple-checked. I'm a tech. with 15 years experience, so no dumb mistakes made.