how-to block ads
8. Using the Tweaks Forum
1. A Tweaks test from this page. Simply post the test's URL. Please make yourself pingable.
2. The closest of 2 speed tests from the Speakeasy Test Sites page. Please note the URLs of both result pages for us.
3. A Line Quality test from here. Please copy and post the URL in the red box! This could take a while, so you might run this first. If it's too backed up, do it later, if requested.
4. What type of Internet connection you have (DSL, Cable, Wireless, or Satellite), who your ISP (Internet service provider) is and the make, model and type of your modem.
5. If DSL, do you use PPPoE connection software? (Do you have to connect to the Internet?)
6. If PPPoE, which one -- WinPoet, Enternet, RASPPPoE, WinXP Native, etc?
7. Which operating system you use -- Windows 98/98SE/ME/2K/XP, etc.
8. What your advertised speeds are (ask your ISP).
9. If your PC is on a network and/or using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or VPN.
10. If you use a NAT router (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) for sharing your connection, and if so, the brand and model of your router.
11. How far you are (if using DSL) from the CO (Central Office). Keep in mind that further than 10,000 feet can significantly degrade speeds. Click here to find your distance, or simply ask your ISP.
Satellite Users Note: The tests listed here will likely not return accurate results and will probably be a waste of time for most satellite broadband users. If you would like more information about tweaking your connection, consider posting in the Satellite Forum.
Tweaks test: Go to tweak test. Run the tweaks test, and click Results when it finishes successfully.
Next, fill in what type of service you have, your advertised speeds, operating system and type of protocol you use. Cable and ethernet is normal. Click Recommend. Copy the URL to the test, not the test itself! Post that as #1.
Speed test: Check Verbose, then click Start. When the test finishes, click Graph and copy the URL in your browser's address bar. Post that as #2.
Line quality test: Go to line test. Fill in your IP to join the queue. If you have a router, then make sure you are using the router's IP. When the test finishes, view it and copy and paste the URL in the red box to hide your IP address. Post it as #3.
It is difficult at best to go searching for information that you posted yesterday (or whenever) in another thread. So much so, in fact, that we may not have the time (or desire) to do it. Therefore, you will not receive the help that you came for, as the Tweaks forum is very popular and there are many people for us to assist.
Please start only one thread for all of your questions.
So before you get down on one of the regular helpers, or RedXII1234 (Forum Host), for whatever reason, think about it! The advice/service we offer is free, personal and amongst the best you'll find, anywhere.
See this line:
Before you ask for help, click right *here*!
Tweaks FAQs (frequently asked questions).
Tweak tester tool.
DSLR speed tests.
Speakeasy speed tests.
Line quality test.
Download DrTCP v0.21.
Winsock2 update for Windows 95.
MSDUN 1.4 update for Windows 95.
MSDUN 1.4 update for Windows 98.
MSDUN 1.4 update for Windows 98 SE.
Removal for Speedguide patch for Win9x/ME & Win2K.