dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
Clearwire - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

Clearwire -- A Great Choice

After much comparison and experimentation, I signed up with Clearwire Hi-Speed Internet recently. Such a deal! It's not available in many places yet, but the company is growing. Net speed is constant with little variance, tech support is the best, and the price is right. For $30/month they offer 768 kbps down/256 up with equipment included. For another $10/month they offer 1.5 mbps down. Setup is as simple as plugging in an ethernet cable from their wireless modem. Sure beats anything else here in the Abilene, TX area!

technologiq

join:2000-08-08
Reno, NV

ClearWire works great

In Reno, NV Clearwire is working great. As far as I know full coverage will come around Feb 06 but right now I am getting great coverage and speeds. Honestly can't beat it for the price. It is kinda portable (I can throw the antenna in my bag or use it in the car). I'd recommend to people in Reno looking for a ISP.
Legolas3

join:2006-03-10
Brainerd, MN

Clearwire - Verified Throttled

Word to the wise. If your traffic is on Clearwire and it doesn't look like you're surfing Ebay or collecting your spam from Yahoo, it is now being throttled. Big Time.

I have confirmation that within the past 3 weeks, traffic has been shaped.

Do you think customer service knows? Ask them about it. You'll either get the song and dance that they do not block or manage ports (that's not the issue anyway), or complete ignorance will flow over the phone line.

I finally got confirmation that traffic is being shaped. The excuse was that a couple people were running servers and consuming all the bandwidth. Newsflash to Clearwire: Contact the violators or throttle the particular connection. Don't throttle the whole darned spectrum. And for Heaven's Sake, let your customer service in on the dirty little secret so your clients don't get the run-around. I now require medication for my high blood pressure after this one.

I smell deception. The part about people running servers is fishy since the upload of Clearwire is a joke and the ports most likely used are blocked on the inbound. Me thinks it's an excuse to put even more clients on an already crowded wireless connection.

QEDyesca
Premium
join:2002-09-02
Fairfield, CA

There's nothing Clear about CW's service...

A buddy of mine recently moved from one part of Stockton, CA, to another. In his previous place he was serviced by Comcast without complaint. They even installed a dedicated HSI tap into his house. That tap was ahead of its time since he consistently received 6mbps way before the general upgrade.

Unfortunately, Comcast didn't service his new address and he was forced to choose either ClearWire (CW), satellite or dialup. He chose CW for their low startup cost.

It's been always an unfortunate decision.

Reliability, throughput, and unusually high pings have caused this ISP's reputation to plummet.

Simply stated, WiSP's fill a real need in America's Broadband dead-zones. Though, as with everything else HSI, choose wisely. If there's any other WiSP provider in your area, consider them before CW.

As an aside, if anyone in Stockton, CA, near Frontage Road, using Comcast HSI would like to share the connection & cost of Comcast's highest speed-tier (via a wireless bridge), my buddy is extremely interested in meeting you. PM us at your earliest convenience.
Legolas3

Brainerd, MN

1 edit

Re: There's nothing Clear about CW's service...

As I've always said: Clearwire wants you to pay for your internet access, not use it.

Beyond the blockage of ports, the high latency, and the Customer Service that can't field a simple yes or no question, they have implemented traffic impedence on any protocol that doesn't conform to their ever-evolving TOS.

I wish your buddy luck in his quest to find an ISP that actually Provides...
Legolas3

Brainerd, MN

The Green Clearwire Clown Car Stopped Today

I just had the Green Cleawire Car stop and try to sell me some wireless. Little did the Car full of clowns know that I am already a totally dissatisfied customer from a different location who pays full price for 1/3 the product and has been waiting for this day to come...... I was seeking revenge of the worst sort. And face to face? C'mon! This was my day.

Too bad the clown they sent to the door was a n00b and I was unable to engage in intelligent conversation about the fact that Clearwire throttles most traffic that is not http or smtp. He, unfortunately, was as clueless as their customer service about bandwidth throttling. He tried to make a quick exit.

Unsatisfied, I followed the n00b back to the green car that had two other circus clowns in it. The other clowns were as clueless as the first clown. Too bad the clowns don't know the ugly truth behind the service they are trying to sell. Or, is Clearwire intentionally not telling their sales clowns about this? It's quite plausible since they certainly don't tell their customer service.

I watched the green car full of clowns go down the road to the next house. Too bad I didn't tell the clowns that I had already told the next house about Clearwire throttling and got them to get a reliable, un-shaped, DSL package three weeks ago. Nyuck Nyuck

I did welcome the n00b clown to the hostile world as they rolled up their window. It seems this was his very first sales call. Perhaps it's his last?
ernliz

Albemarle, NC

Re: The Green Clearwire Clown Car Stopped Today

OK, OK, we get it! You don't like Clearwire. Many others do, for all sort of reasons. Move on.

EW
Legolas3

Brainerd, MN

Perhaps you have not noticed that it has been 39 days since my Clearwire Clown post. Perhaps I have moved on. Perhaps you have just now reminded me of how I am locked into a contract that delivers 1/3 of what my payment once delivered? Perhaps now I am in total relapse after being almost cured of my infatuation of hatred towards anything that color of green? Perhaps I am now once again consumed with the fact that after replying negatively to an email that a salesman had mass-mailed to local subscribers about receiving a $5 Target Coupon if you sell your friends and family down the river (with the same junk service) that I was threatened that my service would be cut (no crap).

Be that as it may. I appreciate your reminder.
ernliz

Albemarle, NC

Yikes! I hear you loud and clear.... Anyway, sorry to hear about the threat regarding your service, etc., etc. Guess I need to walk a mile in your shoes (with this issue) before making snippy comments. Good luck.

EW
errlloyd

join:2006-09-04

Tactic for beating clearwire in ireland

Hey gys im not going to pretend i know how it works but baically clearwire is the only company servicing my area and i got it, so my brother canceled my dialup which as it turns out was faster then my clearwire. Basically it sucked for me i game and had pings of 750 permanently so i emailed them and without a reply the very next day my ping was 60.

Bafron

@clearwire-dns.net

Clearwire Pros & Cons

Just ordered up Clearwire service and have already experienced some pros & cons with it. On the positive side, signal strength is great so connection speed, pings and pretty much everything that I usually do on the internet is going great. I have had no problems playing warcraft, watching vids on YouTube or general browsing of the net. Don't know if this will change as more subscribers join in, but for now my service has been very comparable to Comcast.

On the negative side, tech support was unable to solve a relatively "simple" problem with the setup of my wireless router. The router which worked fine for Comcast (a Netgear MR814v2), would not work initially with the Clearwire service. For the first couple of days I had to connect the modem direct to my computer. Then, while talking to the tech rep, I realized that I could copy the network settings obtained by directly connecting the modem to the computer and apply them to the router. Specifically, once I manually entered in the DNS server, things worked great! I had lots of time to think of this solution while talking to the tech rep as he walked me through rebooting my computer, router and modem in several different variations....

Thanks all for posting the info on the "end of service" requirements for Clearwire as, even though I'm likely to have them as my ISP for awhile, it'll be good to know what steps I'll have to go through when/if I ever do decide to switch.
WarmCoke

join:2007-01-31
Boise, ID

Clearwire Success Stories

I, for one, am very happy with Clearwire and grateful that I was able to "cut the cord" for broadband access. I much prefer this wireless system and the flexibility that it provides to DSL or Cable that require fixed lines to work.

I have strong signal almost all the time and have great download speeds for what I am trying to accomplish while online. I also defy any other provider to match Clearwire for ease of setup. (They cannot, I guarantee it.) I am a happy customer at this point.

Unit649
I B U, Who U B?
Premium
join:2000-01-22
Stockton, CA

Stockton California Clearwire.....BLEH

Well, after tolerating CW for this long, I finally said enough is enough and went back to AT&T DSL.

I had switched because I liked the ability to, if need be, take my modem with me when I went to other places. It also worked at my workplace.

Then I decided to put some webcams up around the outside of my house. At that point the modem didn't really leave too much because I wanted to be able to check the house from work on occasion.

I think at that point I started getting throttled because I'd start downloading something, the wife would get on the camera site to see if my truck was here, and my downloads would literally drop to nothing.

Forget it. I have 6 months left on the contract. Don't need the mobility anymore. Its cheaper though to pay for the next 6 months than the cancellation fee, so I loaned the modem to a friend with the stipulation that it won't be going beyond that date. He's going to pay me part of the monthly fee for using it.

I would not reccomend them, period. I think they also oversold this area, in the evening from 5pm-8pm it would slow to a crawl also.

DSL took me 5 days to activate, and the speed is as promised. Every time. I'm still slapping my forehead as to why I ditched the DSL. Guess they caught me with the old "you can take it anywhere" stuff. Yep, I could, and for the first month or so, it was great. But its gone downhill now.

I predict many people dropping this once they hit their term limits. Oh well, that means whoever remains (if they don't go under from cancellations) will get better speed in the evening.

If you're thinking about ditching cable or DSL for this because of the portability, get it IN ADDITION to what you have. The portability aspect of it is the one strong point, but if you want to have more than one computer on it, stick to a hardline connection for your home stuff. And if you even want to DREAM of uploading anything more than small attachments on email, don't even think about it

Thanks for listening to me vent.
Concillian

join:2002-12-30
Dublin, CA

Re: Stockton California Clearwire.....BLEH

Visiting my in-laws in Stockton, I was amazed at the latency issues I experienced using their computer on CW. 400ms was common with spikes into the 1000ms range. Speeds were okay once I started a transfer, but the latency was unlivable, even with just one person on Halo or WoW.

IO don't know about throttling, as they typically just use their pipe for browsing and mail and games. I just know that the games would have played better over dialup.

The service wasn't always like this. It has it's good times. However the bad times always seem to happen at the worst time, and being so uncontrollable is extremely frustrating.
WarmCoke

join:2007-01-31
Boise, ID
The portability was not really the big plus for me - it was the lack of wires! We do not and will not have cable or satellite TV....so those options for internet for my family were out of the question. I would eventually like to lose my local phone line as well and tell Qwest to go away - so DSL was out as well.

It was great to have Clearwire as an option for us with these circumstances in play. My connections have been extremely consistent for the three months plus that I have had this service.

insider info

@clearwire-dns.net

Customer Testimonial

Tell Clearwire all about your experience with their service. I did!

customertestimonial@clearwire.com
jistanidiot

join:2006-08-11

Clearwire and linux

I'm thinking of ditching Crapcast in favor of this new Clearwire service. I only use linux now. Will it work with that?

How good is its service? Looks like you have to sign up for a year, what happens when you realize it sucks and you want to cancel after a month?
Denise67

join:2007-07-15
Red Bluff, CA

Re: Clearwire and linux

I am also using linux and have clearwire, it worked fine when we first got it at the end of April, but lateley it's been pretty slow, we only have a signal in one room of the house, when we were told we were in the middle of the coverage area. We are paying $44.00 a month, the first 3 months when you sign up they only charge you about 20 something dollars, then it goes up to $44.00. With the linux we don't have alot of options for internet service where we live, so i guess were stuck with the clearwire for now.
dornol

join:2007-07-27
Burlington, NC

OSU (outside unit) and clear wire

I had a osu go bad,I call Clearwire they said they don't support the OSU now, but they still bill me. After calling 10 to 15 time, I now have a new OSU, I install it, tried to adjust it but link monitor stop work, so I call clearwire again the said they turn it off. so how do you know your signal level. they set a time to come out and never showed, now no one will call me back from the LC office. I don't know how they are still in bis.
KUppiano
Karl Uppiano

join:2003-02-02
Ferndale, WA

1 edit

Clearwire Blocking SNTP?

I have a friend who uses Clearwire, and she cannot get her Windows Vista machine to sync with internet time. Does Clearwire block SNTP?
KUppiano
Karl Uppiano

join:2003-02-02
Ferndale, WA

Tech Info on Clearwire Modem?

Where can I get technical data on the Clearwire modem? My router says it is connected at 10Mbps, half duplex. Most modems I connect to show 100Mbps, full duplex. I realize that the nature of the ISP connection would never push 10Mbps, but usually the network interface is still 100Mbps, full duplex. I am just wondering is there is a problem, or if this is by design.

jakx

@qwest.net

clearwire chat what is its service cost $/month in Seattle

I have owned their stock and done alright on it and have spoken too some users that liked their service though I am sure they have no understanding of blocked ports.

However here is the conversation I get anytime I ask them what the service costs. And by the way its a 2 year contract service. The problem is even giving them an actual address the person on the other end in India or Phillipines or wherever is clueless to what the bottom line price per month is after the initial 3 month 14.99 per month contract. They rudely interrupted this chat when they could not answer the question of cost per month. If anyone knows they might post it here. below is the chat session.

Clearwire Support: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

jak: what is ur price
what is your price

Clearwire Support: I need your address to check for service availibility

jak: i already gave an address
and its available nearby
tso lets pretend i am nearby and you give me a price

Clearwire Support: I can't do that since nearby to me there is no service and we offer different promoos for different areas

jak: try seattle washington
try --------------------------- omitted
what is your price

Clearwire Support: can I have a zip code also

jak: ----------------omitted

Clearwire Support: Thank You please give me a few moments to access this for you
14.99 for first 3 mos then all plans go to regular price we offer for a 2 yr contract a 75.00 webcertificate and for 1yr contract there is a 50.00 webcertificate plus modem leasing is 4.99 a month plus whatever taxes apply for your area

jak: that price is not easy to read
how much per month total after getting service after the first 3 months
the certificate doesn't explain whether its for you or for me as a discount

Clearwire Support: it is for you to use on the internet at 1000's of places anywhere VISA is accepted

jak: explain more clearly please
what is normal monthy charges
14.99 for 3 months then what

Clearwire Support: let me list them please or you can call 888 253 2794 and choose telesales and they can give you all prices and explain what webcertificate is and how it can be used

jak: 14.99 per month
then what after 3 months

at this point Clearwire Support ended the chat session.
jota211

join:2007-11-09
Seattle, WA

Re: clearwire chat what is its service cost $/month in Seattle

giving an exact address is required because there is not always full coverage everywhere throughout a single zipcode....just like many cable or dsl providers. There are often different promotions depending on the area you live in, and the promotions change monthly. The best way to find out all the information you want is to go to a kiosk....at least for pricing and some limited technical knowledge. After promotions the monthly price will vary from $30/month to $45/month depending on the speed you want, and you can do an annual prepaid, month to month, 1 or 2 year agreement, it all depends on what you will utilize the most.

The best suggestion would be to go talk to a person...LIVE, this way no one is hiding behind a computer, this goes both ways
kon16ov

join:2007-08-25
Dayton, OH

Lukewarm in Dayton, OH

OK, because I refuse to give any more money to TW, and we're cell-based, so the expense of getting a phone line just for DSL didn't seem to be worth it, I decided to give CW a whirl. We've had it 4 days.

I'm not sure I'm happy. Here're the positives, I've found: 1) no longer suckling the Time Warner teat, 2) relatively inexpensive, even after the 3 months, 3) painless to set up, even with the inclusion of the Netgear router (MR814V2) previously mentioned and 4) when connected, it's slick and I've not had any problems getting decent throughput in either direction.

The CONS, however, are what have me scratching my head. 1) it seems to suffer from DirectTV's original problems -- if it's cloudy, you're hosed...meaning, it's been dropping a LOT recently 2) seems to not like Dayton, although it's "in the service area" and AT BEST, I get 3 bars, mostly live in the 1... 3) seems to dislike the router inasmuch as it connects to the router, but refuses to pass the information on, even though connections with the router are fast (LAN traffic = zippy) I find it odd I have to have BOTH a wired and wireless connection to the router to get to the 'net...

I don't know if I need to go in and tweak the router, or even what REALLY to do, other than making the DNS static, as I've seen posted previously.

I guess this is more of an exposition than anything else, but I'm wondering if there are other in the Dayton area that have had better results. I guess I could blame the neighborhood -- all those old houses and the lead-based paint... I'm tempted to shot CW an e-mail asking about the connectivity...however, I may just call their "customer satisfaction" number they left when they called a half-hour after the initial purchase of the plan...probably would have been a more meaningful conversation had I actually arrived at home and set the thing up...

Thanks for listening and any thoughts are appreciated.

Phil
--
-----------------
The key to keeping secrets
is the keeping of the key.
rmd747

join:2007-08-31
Charlottesville, VA

email question

If I open a Clearwire account, will they provide me with email addresses? If so, what is the handle? Is it XXXXX@clearwire.net? Thanks.
kon16ov

Dayton, OH

Re: email question

Although I haven't set ours up, yet, upon setup with the ClearPremium, we get 5. With the standard you get 3. You are correct, too, in that the email addresses will be for the primary e-mail address and then whatever you end up with, that isn't already taken, of course, as your secondary accounts.

I haven't read up on the accounts, though, so I can't speak to whether they have restrictions on file attachments/sizes or anything like that.

Hope this helps,

Phil
--
-----------------
rmd747

join:2007-08-31
Charlottesville, VA

Question about who gets Clearwire

Do people get Clearwire because they don't have access to cable or DSL, or do people actually get Clearwire as an alternative to cable/DSL?? I'm curious.

Thanks.
kon16ov

Dayton, OH

Re: Question about who gets Clearwire

Why? Well, here in Dayton, the choices are REALLY slim if you don't want to give in to Time Warner's evil empire. Our main motivations was, since we don't have a land line, the cost of getting a land line put in in addition to sign-up costs, equipment costs and the like, ClearWire was a MUCH less expensive option...

Our motivation was pretty much, it's inexpensive and, since we currently had nothing, anything was better than nothing.

So far, the choice has been acceptable. The only caveat, so far, for me, is that when it rains, good luck with signal...
--
-----------------
rustybear59

join:2007-07-08
Reno, NV
I got clearwire because it was the least expensive choice .
I too did not have a land line and cable is not available in my area so startup was much cheaper with clearwire. not too exited about the service tough.
protractor

join:2006-07-30
Bellevue, WA

Email; not sending out

Anyone else in Washington State having trouble sending out email. For the past week I have to hit send 10+ times to get my email out on Outlook. Tech support is vague on the issue, and don't seem particularly up to speed on the problem; not that they're admitting anyway. Would like to know if I'm alone on this.

chiron

@bellsouth.net

clearwire is a bad deal all around

Poor service. Does not disclose 2 year contract, then it costs you $200 to get rid of them. Don't get sucked in great advice.
kon16ov

Dayton, OH

Re: clearwire is a bad deal all around

Interesting...I knew going in that it was a 2-year contract with a hefty early termination. The rep I dealt with (MacDepot in Dayton) was very good about going through EVERYTHING with me. That's why I went ahead with a 14-day trail. For me, the service, itself, has been hit or miss, but all much better than a)not having anything and b)dialup. Also, my fear that it would do great during the trial and taper off after the trial was over didn't come to fruition, which was nice. It has the same growing pains as DirecTV had when we first got that...rain=bad, clear=good. Welcome to satellite-land.

Granted, that's not a stellar endorsement, but the only REAL problem I've had with CW is when a tower went up in flames and, I guess, most of Dayton was out for about 24 hours. When I called cust service about it, they told me straight up what was happening and gave me an ETA.

My overall assessment is that if you don't want to get screwed by RoadRunner's pricing evils or deal with DSL, ClearWire is a viable choice. Is it the BEST? Not even close. Do they do bandwidth shaping? Oh, yeah. Does that irritate me? Most of the time, not. I don't notice it most of the time, nor do I do anything, really, that it would effect. My last test my d/l at 1.7Mb/s and up at 110Kb/s. Take that for what it's worth.
--
-----------------

alaskamonte

@clearwire-dns.net
Poppycock, I'm in for over a year now and ClearWire is much like poker in Vegas.
Some days the download speed is as low as 300 and later in the week it will tease me like a lure to salmon with 2100.
What to do?
I call their 800 # and depending on whom I speak it's adifferent story each time.
One tech explained that I'm centered between three towers and I should experiment with unplugging the modem and re-aiming? OK, sometimes it helps and others it's a toatl waste of time..