dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Clearwire - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

NomadOfNorad
Premium Member
join:2007-10-17
Jacksonville, FL

NomadOfNorad

Premium Member

Intermittent "cable is unplugged" message (modem problems)

Since about this last weekend, I've been having frequent, intermittent, connectivity problems. I'm not sure if this is the router, the modem, or the ISP. It seems to happen most often if I'm doing some kind of internet activity, like loading a set of webpages, or possibly if the cordless phone rings. I'll get a pop-up balloon on the Windows XP machine telling me a network cable is unplugged. Briefly. At the same time, the IRC client on another machine (Amiga1200) gives me a Disconnected message, and I have to go in and reconnect to the servers I'm on. And, of course, whatever I'm receiving pauses or even stops. Earlier today, it took three attempts to download a small software update (the latest Quicktime reader) before I could get the whole thing downloaded.

Logged into the web-interface on the DIR-655 draft-N router (which I'm connected to via ethernet cable on both machines) at xx.xx.xx.xx/Device/Device_Info.shtml it tells me I have a connected uptime of less than a minute. In other words, apparently the internet connection went down and came back up again.

This has been happening a lot, but only seems to happen when there's actual internet traffic going on. Say, if I fire up my browser with a bunch of tabs pre-loaded, or if I'm downloading something.

It's as if someone were sitting out there, watching the amount of internet activity here, and every time the amount of activity goes up or spikes, they hit a "Disconnect me" button.

I have power-cycled the wireless modem and the router, and I have even switched out the ethernet cable running between the router and the modem, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

Should I call Clearwire and give them an earful? Could they be doing something to kill my connection every time I try to DO anything?

On a different note: Could a cheap, 2.4Gh cordless phone be causing a packet-storm across the wired portion of the LAN? Would it be sufficient to make me lose my (wired) internet connection?

Bear in mind, I have not changed anything here. It just started doing this impression-of-a-yoyo thing over the weekend.

Bobby B
@cox.net

Bobby B

Anon

Re: Intermittent "cable is unplugged" message (modem problems)

A few things here. First off, it's simply possible that there is a problem with the modem or router. Make sure the router firmware is up-to-date, and try the modem directly connected to either machine. The fact that your machines are plugged into the router and they get a cable unplugged message tells me that the likely culprit is in between your systems and your router, not your router and your modem. If the problem was there, your computers would not show cable unplugged messages, but your router would keep losing the internet connection.

And yes, your cheap 2.4GHz phone could be causing problems. The Clearwire modem runs on a registered 2.5GHz frequency, so there is potential, however remote, for some radio interference. More likely though your router just has an issue going on with it, or the cables connecting the computers to the router. Also, have the nics of both machines checked to make sure they are in tip-top shape. A load of bad packets from one ethernet card on one of the machines on the network can create a packet-storm that can tear the whole network down. Hope some of this helps.

NomadOfNorad
Premium Member
join:2007-10-17
Jacksonville, FL

2 edits

NomadOfNorad

Premium Member

Can you recommend good, free software to monitor for packet storms and stuff?

BTW, the router no longer seems to be telling me short uptimes, which tells me it's not losing the internet connection, or at least it doesn't think it has. I'm still occasionally getting the cable-is-disconnected balloon message, but it appears for maybe a second or less.
NomadOfNorad

NomadOfNorad

Premium Member

Well, it turns out I was wrong about what I added in my previous message. The router does seem to be dropping or losing the internet connection. It only looked like my internet connection duration time was continuing upward after a disconnect, because the page that shows the uptime does so as a javascript routine or something: It counts the hours, minutes, and seconds since going online in a realtime basis, but all that really means is that the browser continues to tick the seconds onward...

If I hit refresh (and then do the log-back-into-the-router song and dance), the time-since-last-connect is now low again. Grrrr...

At that, when my internet connection goes down for the two machines, I'll see the "Network cable is unplugged" message come up, briefly, both when the connection first fails, and just before the connection resumes a moment later. This is the same result (the "...unplugged" message popping up at start and end) if I change something in the router and it reboots.

Could my router be crashing in times of large throughput?
NomadOfNorad

NomadOfNorad

Premium Member

Well, after a bit more googling, I think I've got it solved. I turned the router on its end, so now it's a tower instead of sitting horizontil, so that it cools better, and I haven't had a problem since. Knock wood.
Quantum5
join:2007-11-30
San Diego, CA

Quantum5

User Guide for the RSU-2510 Modem?

Doesn't look like a whole lot of tech info here, but does anyone know where I can get the User Guide? I've looked high and low.

Particularly interested in the IP for the modem's Status webpage.

Cptech
@dargalsolutions.com

Cptech

Anon

Club Penguin, on clearwire?

Has anyone had trouble playing a game called Club Penguin on Clearwire? It's a flash based game that requires a constant socket connection. I was wondering if it is a Clearwire issue or something else.

rosechild
@uidaho.edu

rosechild

Anon

CW or Verizon? I live in the country in WA

I live off a dirt road on the edge of a small town in southeast WA. CW claims they have coverage, but I'm nervous b/c my home is surrounded by trees and hills. I am a student, so while I don't download anything crazy, I do need reliable service.

I'm not crazy about sharing bandwith, esp. at busy times, nor having to reboot to reset my IP to get faster service, as some of the reviews I've read claim.

Verizon DSL is also available to me. Better choice?

Thanks!!

Dark Fiber
evil in your savage eye
Premium Member
join:2005-01-23
Caldwell, ID

Dark Fiber

Premium Member

Re: CW or Verizon? I live in the country in WA

I am not a big fan of Verizon, especially with respect to the wireline portion of their business, but two cans and a string beats Clearwire to a pulp.

Even if Verizon appears to cost more, it will ultimately cost you less than Clearwire in both dollars and stress.

You can get the Verizon DSL or you can get taken advantage of by incompetent, greedy opportunists whose product and service is so bad that they have to renew their customers' contracts without their explicit consent.

My take on a service oriented business with contracts is that the provider's offerings should impel their customer to desire a renewed contract. A reliance on subterfuge and penalty is a coercive relationship that I want no part of.
WarmCoke
join:2007-01-31
Boise, ID

1 edit

WarmCoke

Re: CW or Verizon? I live in the country in WA

Dark Fiber's venom towards Clearwire is beginning to be entertaining to be honest.

I highly recommend Clearwire for anyone living within their service area, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them from the word "go". Fast, reliable service, just what I pay for. See if the local Clearwire office will let you take a demo modem home for a few nights and try it out. That should put a lot of your concerns to rest.
Recluse3482
join:2008-03-11

1 edit

Recluse3482 to rosechild

to rosechild
If you plan on streaming videos, music or playing any games then don't pick Clearwire, they won't out and say it but I have an awesome connection and within ten to fifteen minutes I'm well under 500kbps, I have had my ping times over 10ms. Terrible service, awful just awful.

clearwires back
@clearwire-dns.net

clearwires back

Anon

all the forums that only let members discuss

people dont really learn anything from these because people are reluctant to create login forum accoutns just to make one opinion in one topic. ever. so what we have is a bunch of weekend warrior yelps in one column and are most likely mechanically challenged from the fingertips in.
ok clearwire is fairly new and probably the idea is brighter than the future of most of the current employess and likewise every company grows because its a company not an employee. clearwire is the terminator robots that everyone is sposed to be afraid of. cept its not real its just awesome future of broadband. if they offer to put a tower in ur backyard and also pay you for it then take what they give you in two years youre going to download 36 megabytes and ur neighbors only get 32 =/

tacoma_customer
@nts.your-server.de

tacoma_customer

Anon

Clearwire LIES to customers and delivers HORRIBLE service !

I was told by Michael McCallester of Clearwire of Tacoma, WA that there would be “no problem” just “bring back the modem” and I’ll get my $149 back. When Clearwire heardquarters informed me that they don’t refund modems I asked McCallester to resolve that and he said he would. Days later and many unanswered calls later I learned that my sales associate lied and that I would not receive my refund. This is reprehensible and done with total disregard for customer.

The only reason I did a month to month trial with Clearwire was to see if the service was acceptable (many reports claimed very poor service). After being reassured by Michael McCallester that there was no risk involved I decided it was worth a try.

Clearwire service is HORRIBLE. My 3 Mb/sec service download rate was 70 kb/sec !!! Just a fraction of what I paid for. They also hire sales persons who LIE to customers to get them to spend their hard-earned money on services that KNOW DON’T WORK.

I’ve filed a claim with VISA to receive my money back that was manipulated out of me.

This is business at its worst. Stay clear of this TERRIBLE company. You’ve been warned.

Warning
@clearwire-dns.net

Warning

Anon

Crap Clearwire

Do Not sign up with Clearwire phone service. I did and had nothing but trouble with the service. It kept cutting out and beeping made using the phone imposable. The last straw was when I needed to call the doctor and could not. I had to use the neighbors phone. I am disabled and need my phone working. Finally after numerous complaints and troubleshooting they agreed at terminate my contract and I was told I would Not be penalized for early termination. Guess what Crap Clearwire charged me for early termination! Because of this I called them and was basically told sorry were going to charge you and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Tejas Patel
@199.72.35.x

Tejas Patel

Anon

Clearwire is Garbag coustomer survice

i live in Daytona Beach, FL. i used Clear wire for 3 year. when i found out that $45 i can get cable modem, i try to change service. they gave me such hard time. one day i receive $21.11 on my CC. i call them and Spock with lady name Elisha for 30 mints, she was not much help. then i Spock with Kathy for 15 more mints, she was worst then Elisha. after all this trouble i did not get my $21.11 back. so i decide i will let all new user know how suck this company is.

undiscovered
@clearwire-dns.net

undiscovered

Anon

Apparently Clearwire has download limits.

Which they don't in any way attempt to inform you of this fact, as far as I know.

So, after about 3 years of regular use, I suddenly find my speeds incredibly slow. I'm not sure how exactly after all this time these limits only just started affecting me, but after downloading apparently 3GB (what I was told by the customer service rep)over a few days to a week or so, The tower backs up and you get slow speeds. He even told me that they have a download cap at about 15GB, at which point you'll have to call customer service to resolve the issue.

The weirdest thing is, after several years of constant use I suddenly hit this problem. I haven't changed my downloading habits one bit either.

And the most surprising part of it all, the customer service I received was surprisingly helpful. The clearwire corporation however, is complete crap. I don't have any alternative either if I want anything other than dial-up.
WALLDOO997
join:2008-07-25
Cary, NC

WALLDOO997

Re: Apparently Clearwire has download limits.

FROM WHAT I've BEEN TOLD BY AN ED CLEARWIRE DEALER THEY DO HAVE LIMITS BUT i NEVER HAD TO CONTACT ANYBODY ABOUT BY EXCESSIVE DOWNLOADING. My problem is my speed was 1.5 meg for 20 min the drop to .9 for about 10 min then drop to dial up speeds for the rest of the hour and then come back up. They even told me that was odd and the NOBODY ELSE has that problem. Then it's the trees that are blocking my signal and the it's a rain storm 100 miles away.I'm glad I have an option now.

madeira
@prognet.com

madeira

Anon

Clearwire sold my e-mail account

I created a specific e-mail address when dealing with clearwire, and it was completely unique to clearwire and its contact with me. Well, I just got a mail sent to that address advertising some financial social network. I won't state their name because I don't want to advertise them. So thank you Clearwire, I never gave you consent to give out my e-mail address, and you did anyways.

FYI, I canceled clearwire probably about 1 year go.
dwatts9
join:2008-06-16
Charlotte, NC

dwatts9

Opening Email

Sometimes I double click the line where the sender and title of the email is and it does not open. There's no other icon or anything to click that says "open email"
WALLDOO997
join:2008-07-25
Cary, NC

WALLDOO997

Re: Opening Email

get yourself a yahoo email account and be done with it. as soon as you can get a better internet provider.I used my clearwire email once and was never able to find it again

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Whines About Sprint/Clearwire Merger

»AT&T Whines About Sprint/Clearwire Merger [18] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Clearwire Creatively Renamed 'New Clearwire'

»Clearwire Creatively Renamed 'New Clearwire' [18] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Sprint Clearwire, Complete WiMax Union

»Sprint, Clearwire Complete WiMax Union [21] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Clearwire Not Ruling Out LTE

»Clearwire Not Ruling Out LTE [7] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] 'Clear' Officially Hits Portland January 6

»'Clear' Officially Hits Portland January 6 [19] comments - posted on the home page

honolulu
@systemmetrics.com

honolulu

Anon

Clearwire in Honolulu

I'm thinking about ditching road runner and trying out clearwire. the 2yr term puts me off. anyone have good experience here? i am on the east side, hawaii kai area. thanks, robert.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] WiMax Edges Closer to Chicago

»WiMax Edges Closer to Chicago [11] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Clearwire To Launch WiMax/Wi-Fi Router

»Clearwire To Launch WiMax/Wi-Fi Router [5] comments - posted on the home page