dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
Cincinnati Bell - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

Fioptics Gigabit

Perhaps CB are tired of the press parroting AT&T's "Fiber to the Press Release" announcements (as Karl rightfully likes to call them). It seems that they want to generate some noise of their own regarding their fiber expansion and the introduction of the consumer Gigabit service so they are touting a "big announcement" on August 18. Video and article links below:

»vimeo.com/user17065955/review/10···4325e2e8

»www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/b···ent.html

Gamechief

join:2010-06-09
Cincinnati, OH

Re: Fioptics Gigabit

Some consumer grade devices do not have the ability to max out at 1G even with the node sitting right next to you however the 50-60% drop off that rotide posted is unacceptable. Provided he has the right equipment at his location to utilize the pipe, he should get close to his advertised speeds without issue and if not close at least 80%.

Back then you could of probably made the case that most of these consumer ports would of had a tough time generating 1G or close to it but in today's world its the matter of the port speed coming off the network device/server that bottlenecks users. Granted i haven't seen too many users utilize 1G WANS but i have been to a lot of LAN parties where everyone was maxing out at 1G or close to it. so, if it was a port limitation from a quality perspective that we were dealing we would see those issues on the LAN as well as the WAN.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

said by Gamechief:

however the 50-60% drop off that rotide posted is unacceptable

Well he is accepting it... Without more details/facts you simply cannot blame the Fioptics circuit for this drop!

Gamechief

Cincinnati, OH

said by CVGNet:

said by Gamechief:

however the 50-60% drop off that rotide posted is unacceptable

Well he is accepting it... Without more details/facts you simply cannot blame the Fioptics circuit for this drop!

Agreed

rotide

@216.68.55.x

I'll give you guys more details since it looks appropriate!

Being the network engineer I am, I've done all sorts of testing. None of it on WiFi. Router is an Asus RT-N66U running a recent merlin build for firmware.

NOT behind the router:
At the ONT, I have seen max speeds of 630/233 on an i5-3320M laptop which obviously has a wired gigabit port.

Behind the router:
At my desktop, for a while, I was confused... I kept pulling 95-97 down and just a little higher up (96-98). Then I realized I had a 100mbps switch at my desk for Raspberry-Pi testing! Pulled that out and the max I'm seeing inside on a i7 box is just about the same as at the ONT.

Nice to see the router isn't a bottleneck! I wish I could give you CPU utilization on that router while at max speed, but I forgot to check it.

The tech, when he installed the service, mentioned before he started that his boss wanted me to know that the max they have seen is ~750 down in the field. The tech stated they test using the speedtest.cincinnatibell.com site which when I asked was hosted out of the West 7th datacenter (downtown cincibell location).

Yeah, my BS flag went up. They are installing "gigabit" service and they have never seen above ~750. That does sound scammy. This is where I mention the service needs to grow up and mature a bit. I don't know what the actual throughput of their "gigabit" NICs in the ONT and elsewhere are. I don't know what technologies they utilize to backhaul all the data downtown after the aggregation points. I don't know what they are using to limit the bandwidth. etc. etc. etc. There are probably a hundred different items which could be taking bandwidth off the top and dropping the actual speeds down to between 600-750mbps.

Furthermore, in my testing I have been unable to find a site which allows me to pull at that rate. Downloading off steam I find a cap at around 12MBps. That's a small fraction of my pipe. If I fire up some torrents, I may be able to see more.

Keep this in mind...

WD Caviar Green harddrives max out at ~100-120MBps write speed. Pure gigabit would max at 125MBps. We're at or approaching write speed saturation at the hard disk with these speeds. It's awesome to know I could potentially make my HDD the bottleneck but I'm not losing sleep over not being able to right now.

Am I bummed I can't get 125MBps downloads? Slightly. Am I bummed they warned me the max I'll see is ~750 when they are selling 1000. Yeah, a bit. Do I think it's potentially scammy? Yeah, it is, especially when techs haven't even seen 1gbps.

I ask myself this question though. Am I ok with "only" getting 225/225 symmetric and have even more room on top of that on the down speeds? At this time, yes.

If it becomes a bottleneck, we'll see about getting credits and/or the service brought in line with the advertising.

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

said by rotide :

The tech, when he installed the service, mentioned before he started that his boss wanted me to know that the max they have seen is ~750 down in the field. The tech stated they test using the speedtest.cincinnatibell.com site which when I asked was hosted out of the West 7th datacenter (downtown cincibell location).

Yeah, my BS flag went up. They are installing "gigabit" service and they have never seen above ~750.

Even if CBT's transit equipment can handle full gigabit throughput from a single connection there's still the issue of the server(s) on the other end handling their speed test traffic. It may simply not be robust enough right now to offer full gigabit bandwidth, let alone to multiple gigabit test sessions at once. And this is on top of all the other sessions that might be open from the "rest of us" at any given time. Keep that in mind.

Furthermore, in my testing I have been unable to find a site which allows me to pull at that rate. Downloading off steam I find a cap at around 12MBps.

Mainstream gigabit internet connections are relatively new. Is it really any surprise that you'd be hard-pressed to find something to saturate that speed? The whole country's infrastructure is and will be playing catch up for quite some time. Regarding Steam download speeds, have you tried changing download servers and/or tried a different time of day to see if you can get that speed any higher? Here's a guy getting ~30-40MB/s from Steam using Google Fiber:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1ETgScegs

--
Photos By Greg Strong
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

It looks as if what CB is providing now is simply enhanced GPON connections - so customers are getting a bigger share of the 2.5 Gbps down path of the GPON. This seems to be the case regardless of whether Calix or Alcatel-Lucent ONTs are involved.

The Calix ONTs are capable of direct point to point Gigabit connections - The current Alcatel-Lucent models are not. CB do not seem to be using that feature on the Calix ONTs anyway.

Even on a very high end commercial router one test I saw only delivered 480 Mbps down. The same equipment on a real Gigabit circuit will generally show above 950 Mbps.

It seems that we might be in the era of the "Fake Gigabit" service. Perhaps once the Calix ONTs are more widespread and CB has more fiber to the cross-connect cabinets they will start to use true Gigabit connections to the customer - like Google Fiber.
mudtoe

join:2005-10-09
Cincinnati, OH

One thing to check in your testing is to ensure that Jumbo Frames (9000 MTU) is enabled everywhere on your equipment. Without that it's very difficult to get anywhere near gigabit speeds, even on LAN to LAN transfers.

I'm not sure if the WAN connection from the router to the ONT can be set to 9000 or not. I don't have fioptics yet, but hope to get it soon. I bought a Zywall 110 router recently in preparation for having fioptics and it allows both the LAN and WAN side MTU to be set to 9000.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

Large MTUs can be very useful but as far as measuring the Fioptics downstream speed goes the speed test server is determining the IP packets size and the path from there to the ONT is determining the possible inbound frame size. I have seen no signs of jumbo frames on the WAN side and IP fragmentation is occurring at the usual size so the bottleneck is occurring before the local LAN MTU is having any effect.
DrTek

join:2010-04-13
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

I just had the 1gb installed today. They had to switch out the ONT to a newer version. And the modem is now a Zyxel VMG4381-B10A. I am only getting about 500/243. Two questions. Do I need the router, if I have 100% fiber? The router is hooked up via RJ45. Or would I be able to use my Linksys WRT1900?

If I have to use the Zyxel, is there a way to put it into bridge mode? I had the old ZTE, and was able to get that into bridge. Would also love to have the admin password as well.

I have a Linksys router, so there isn't any way to use Jumbo Packets.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

Do you now have a Calix ONT? If you connect directly to the ONT you will obtain (up to 4) public IP numbers. You can connect any router to that but if you have TV service the router needs to support IGMP proxy otherwise the stream will freeze after 15-20 seconds.
DrTek

join:2010-04-13
Cincinnati, OH

Fortunately since I use TiVo, I do not have IP over TV. I was able to bypass the cable router and use the WRT1900ac by putting it in port 4. Thank you for your help. I was only getting a fraction of the 1gb service. I may call today and go back to where I was.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

I looked at an install where a colleague had only been able to get around 500 Mbps down. I took along a device that let us monitor the actual line speed at the ONT. What I noticed is that even running a couple of PCs against speedtest.cincinatibell.com rarely got speeds much above 500 mbps down, but when we had one PC using speedtest.cincinnatibell.com and one using the Beyond Hosting server on www.speedtest.net we could then get the interface to see peeks greater than 900 Mbps down.

Avoid the Troy, OH server on www.speedtest.net. It is useless!!!
ShawnM

join:2014-10-13
Fairfield, OH

said by CVGNet:

I looked at an install where a colleague had only been able to get around 500 Mbps down. I took along a device that let us monitor the actual line speed at the ONT. What I noticed is that even running a couple of PCs against speedtest.cincinatibell.com rarely got speeds much above 500 mbps down, but when we had one PC using speedtest.cincinnatibell.com and one using the Beyond Hosting server on www.speedtest.net we could then get the interface to see peeks greater than 900 Mbps down.

Avoid the Troy, OH server on www.speedtest.net. It is useless!!!

Sorry, I just upgraded to my 1gig too, and I want to be sure I understand what you are saying because I feel like something is wrong with my setup. From the Beyond Hosting server I'm getting 400/85. There's a server out in Lexington that I can pull 450 down but nowhere near an up of 250. Heck, I don't even get 500 via Cincinnati Bell's own speedtest.

Should I be concerned that they may have pulled a wire poorly, crimped something wrong, or otherwise messed up the install? Is there any way I can plug into the ONT (outside my house) directly and see what speed I'm getting there?
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

Yes you can plug directly into the ONT. Just be aware that you will be getting a public IP there and the device that you connect is exposed to the open internet.
tech90

join:2014-07-23
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell

I am having issues with my internet connection Dropping

Every time I lose internet access My DSL and Internet Globe are Solid. I see some posts on Facebook with people having internet issues is anybody else experiencing these issues. I rebooted my ZTE Router two times. I suspect Cincinnati Bell is either having DNS or Server Issues.

Gamechief

Cincinnati, OH

Re: I am having issues with my internet connection Dropping

One possibility could be that even though you attempt to change the DNS servers CB hard-codes their DNS servers into the modem so although we may think DNS traffic is being sent to google servers it in fact isnt. I haven't tested nor confirmed this theory yet but i will soon.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29

I don't think they are doing that. I ran dnsbench and get different vastly different results with opendns google level3 and cincibell dns servers. If they are routing all traffic to CB dns the results should be the same.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

They definitely do not do this.

bakerman

@66.42.250.x

I would like to offer my experience. I'm on Lebanon system and was getting Internet freezes. The weird thing was all I had to do was remove Wan wire from Modem to my Netgear router. I called and explained everything to CBT, but no help. I made some changes to my router and " so far so good" no dropped Internet! I turned off all QOS settings, and I disabled SIP ALG. The disabling the SIP ALG was what I think did it. The VOIP service was locking up. I hope this helps!!
fibertech

Cincinnati, OH

Ask a tech...

If you have questions about Cincinnati Bell FiOptics please feel free to ask me. I am a technician and would be happy to clear up any questions I can.

Gamechief

Cincinnati, OH

Re: Ask a tech...

when are you going to change your website to reflect the actual tiered speeds that is now your gigabit service to actually reflect up to 500mbits.
ChrisDG74

join:2010-05-27
Cincinnati, OH
Is CBT going to increase speeds on existing tiers, now that "Gigabit" is available. All of the other ISPs do it....
fibertech

Cincinnati, OH
Hmm, so I was hoping for technical questions. I can't really answer service area questions as they don't tell us where we are targeting next. As far at the gigabit service goes...its brand new and still under evaluation.

Im just an install tech with Cincinnati Bell and I thought it would be fun to answer technical questions if I could.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

said by fibertech:

Im just an install tech with Cincinnati Bell and I thought it would be fun to answer technical questions if I could.

And you walked into the dragon's den....... Hopefully we can all pitch some more appropriate questions then........

Here is one more in line with installations. How do you determine whether to offer/install an internally or externally mounted ONT? I see both in similar installation situations so I'm curious as to whether the choice is fairly random, installer preference, customer preference, available stock or some other factor(s).
fibertech

Cincinnati, OH

It appears that I have!

The choice to install and internal vs external ONT is the choice of the installer. Ideally, the ONT would be installed in a basement close to AC power. Some homes do not have a basement or the basement is completely finished and mounting an ONT is prohibitive. If mounted externally it must be grounded. My factors influence the placement of an ONT - specifically access to AC, the customers internal wiring, if the customer is getting deal tone, access to coaxial wiring, etc. An installations that use IPTV set top boxes and cat5 wire will need to be run from the ONT to the gateway.
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

OK - another techie question.....

When making the cross-connect at the local cabinet are you always connecting the customer fiber to a 32 (or other) way GPON optical splitter or do some installs get patched directly to a fiber on the CO cable?
WhartoX

join:2004-01-18
Cincinnati, OH
What are the chances of my area (North College Hill) going from FTTC to FTTH?
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

said by WhartoX:

What are the chances of my area (North College Hill) going from FTTC to FTTH?

If it is an apartment installation CB may be waiting to see if they can migrate those to G.Fast internally while maintaining a FTTdp (Fiber To The demarcation point) external infrastructure.
WhartoX

Cincinnati, OH

nope it's a house
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

What is the maximum download speed you can order? Is it 30Mbps? If so it sounds more like aN FTTN/VDSL installation.
WhartoX

Cincinnati, OH

30. Its FTTN
jerryw45243

join:2014-10-14
Cincinnati, OH
Can you help with setting up Port Forwarding on a ZTE ZXHN_H368C router?
ShawnM

Fairfield, OH

Computer sleeps -- TV freezes

This makes no sense whatsoever. I've been in computer programming for 15 years and I've picked up enough networking to be dangerous. My whole house is wired for CAT5e and I had them run the drop from the ONT directly into my networking closet. All is good. I recently upgraded to gigabit and finally added Fioptics TV. I have one of the STB that plug into a ethernet jack. Life is fine.
UNTIL.
My primary computer is set to go to sleep after about 30 minutes of inactivity. If I'm watching TV when the computer goes to sleep, the picture from the STB freezes. Walking over and waking the computer back up causes the STB to catch up. At this point, I can put the computer to sleep or shut it down with no problems to the STB.
There is no direct connection between the computer and the STB. The line comes in from the ONT and directs over to their Gateway router. The router feeds back into the switch and the switch goes everywhere. The STB is connected to the switch, if that matters.
Ideas on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

•••••

Gamechief

Cincinnati, OH

Fioptics Gigabit is a Sham!

As stated in the 2nd part of the guide threaded. Fioptics advertises speeds of 1 GIG on their website but apparently after talking to someone from in their premium support desk its appears to be that subscribers only being able to pull down 100 to 200 megs. not being able to provide this bandwidth consistently even at 50 to 60% efficiency is a design problem. Had they advertised 250 or 500 megs of bandwidth i would not have had a problem but to advertise a full 1-GIG shows negligence to obtain factual information regarding the product they're selling.

I believe CBT fioptics offers a superior service in the region however, I know of 6 other residential customers with 1-GIG and so far NONE of them have been able to pull down 500mbits or more. CBT has to know that people subscribing to the 1GIG tier are not your average joe blows just wanting to use social media and do your average website browsing. They have to know we are going to stress our connections to the full extent to see if we are satisfied with our connection to the WAN.

Good news is after talking to Cincinnati Bell "premium support" (1 gig customers only 1800-423-0014) they allowed me to pay for 100 meg pipe but keep my speeds (up to 300 megs).

If anyone who is subscribed to the 1gig tier is able to pull down over 500 megs and would be willing to post their speed results in this thread i would be happy to see it. Make sure you post your area of town as well.

•••••••••••

jarmstr278

@208.102.45.x

Problems

I have not been able to set Masterpiece Classic to record the series. No problem with any other recordings. A second problem is that I do not know how to stop a recording and come back to my original place.
Help!

Fioptic Garb

@72.49.25.x

TV freezing, lies by Salesman, Absolute waste of time

Let me start by saying that frustration is the nicest word I have for Cincinnati Bell. Long story short, salesman lied about price and features, "tech support" is garbage, and the product doesnt work right!!! Switched from TWC who has high prices, but stable service. I had this installed on 10/17. Internet speeds were 5Mbps with a promise of 30. Talked to technician who said this was an acceptable speed. Finally they let me change the modem on 10/19. Tv freezes constant, really unwatchable, speed were 15Mbps HARDWIRED! 10/20 tech came out, swapped dvrs and another modem, now I have even more freezes, 10Mbps service and we are on day 4. If you like football or basketball and live in the Pebble Creek Subdivision near Florence KY, please do not consider this service, as the games are not watchable because of freezing .
CVGNet

Cincinnati, OH

Re: TV freezing, lies by Salesman, Absolute waste of time

Sounds like you have fake fiber - FTTN/VDSL and they can't get the line to offer stable VDSL speeds. Might be better if they try another pair.