dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
Cincinnati Bell - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
g3w

join:2013-05-31
West Chester, OH

Changing ZTE model ZXHN H368C admin password

Recent install of 30 Mb/s Fi-optics FTTN with a ZTE model ZXHN H368C router/modem.

First thing I wanted to do was to change the modems admin password.
Changing the password requires the 'old' password.
I've tried admin, password, expert03, ZXDSL, and it keeps responding with 'old password error'.

CBT Technical support (which couldn't pass a Turing Test) was not helpful.

I've not been able to find any technical documentation on this router.

I did not have to enter a password to get into the management screens so I'm a little confused.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

Re: Changing ZTE model ZXHN H368C admin password

Gamechief

join:2010-06-09
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

Your All Inclusive Guide to Cincinnati Bell Fioptics

Hello all, I would like to welcome you to my all inclusive guide for Fioptics.
After a long struggle to get things installed properly at my location I learned quite a lot about the deployment of fioptics and the way the services are installed by the techs versus the way it could(and should) be installed. So my intent is to put would be customers as well as current customers in the know about what they have installed (or will have installed) in their homes and how also they can avoid the common issues and also how to resolve some of their current standing issues.

To Begin there are terms that I am going to use that might confuse you but the remedy to that is to explain them here so that we are on the same page once you start reading through this.

Here Goes!

Different types of fiber Deployments and their Environment uses:
FTTN(Fiber to the Node/Neighborhood) -Residential-(Most Common)
FTTC(Fiber to the Curb) -Might be used Residentially-
FTTP(Fiber to the pole/Premise)-Business-
FTTH(Fiber to the Home)-Residential-(common)
there are others but i have decided to leave them off as they are out of scope for this guide.

Technical Terms:
ONT (Optical Network Terminal)-On the side of your home- +Your Modem+
STB (Set Top Box)-The box you use to watch TV-
Router
IPTV (Internet Protocol TV)
MOCA (Converts Ethernet Cable to Coaxial Cable)

List of Complaints that will be discussed:

Slow internet
Freeze Frames on Video
Signal issues
Not getting advertised speeds
Customer Service Issues
DVR issues
Fioptics router is not supported for bridge mode.

Common Sense Section:

There are some things that you should know in this world of technology and Telecom networking that you may have not been told and probably won’t be told as a subscriber. First, You will not in most cases ever get your full advertised speeds and it’s not because companies are gouging you or lying to you, its because there are a lot of factors that define a person bandwidth such as distance(Attenuation) from the server/Node, Line quality, Network Design, and Equipment Quality and Configuration. Those are the main variables that determine a customer’s network speed and to be honest Distance is leader of those variables.

Things to consider Section during use or before use:

Cincinnati Bell is a SMALL FRY in a Pond full of BIG fish (TWC,Comcast,Etc), with that being said Money becomes a big factor in how things are organized and what decisions are made. So, you have to consider a couple of things A: Deployment of services to your area most likely is going to be slow. B Mistakes will be made in regards to the implementation of said neighborhood services. The reason for this is that any time a company jumps into a new environment/Market (granted C-bell has been doing DSL-broadband for a while) there is going to be some learning involved from the mistakes they make. C-bell Started Deployment of Fioptics residentially a Little over 5 years ago so compared to TWC who has been in the advanced broadband game for 20 years expect things to not go as smooth for C-bell. The upside to this is that the cost of service Vs the competition for me at least is like night and day (50 Bucks). 50/10(more upload)w/TV

Another Topic to consider is the Equipment used because again money plays a big factor in this sink or swim market. I have firsthand knowledge (from a good friend inside) that C-bell has a big contract with ZTE (Chinese Company) to use their equipment for C-Bell's Residential services. The equipment includes the router and the STB box and if you check the Model Number you will find that it is indeed a ZTE product. As you all know, mostly all products that are made in china are crap. If you can’t trust simple household item such as a blow dryer to work right, you are most certainly are not going to trust a router or STB to work correctly and to remind you, this is the equipment that you are paying a rental fee for on a monthly basis.

Standard installation of this service from an FTTH Perspective:

If you are FTTH:
[Fiber Segment] Telephone Pole>ONT> [Ethernet Segment] Ethernet Cable> ZTE Router>[From Router]Computer(wireless/Wired)>[From Router]MOCA>STB for TV Viewing.

If you are FTTH (without MOCA):
[Fiber Segment] Pole>ONT> [Ethernet Segment] Ethernet Cable> ZTE Router>[From Router]Computer(wireless/Wired)>[From Router]Ethernet to LAN port Directly on STB

If you have existing Time Warner Cable installation coax cables then the C-Bell techs will in some case use the coaxial cables already at the home to install service.

To Note:
As you can see your service hinges upon the ZTE router doing its job effectively

Ideal installation design for this service:

When i had my service installed the install-tech did not understand how i wanted to have the equipment installed although at the time I did not know some of the essential important information as I do now.
So this is the best practice for installation of this service for optimal quality/performance from both video and internet.

Needed equipment:
-Router that does IPTV: I use/cherish my RT-AC66U which is a $200 router. Now you don't have to spend that much but you are going to need a router that can handle the IPTV protocol

-A long Ethernet cable if not supplied by the Cincinnati Bell rep.

What you are shooting for with your install is to have the ONT box Ethernet cable go directly to your own router(that you bought). That router should supports IPTV and your router will connect directly to your STB and provide your TV service. That method is how the freezing and halting of TV channels stop completely because again your not using their equipment that is made in china. Provided your router configurations are correct you should not see any speed drops outside of the norm. If you do see speed issues with this setup then its a good chance that fi-optics is to blame.
Gamechief

Cincinnati, OH

Re: Your All Inclusive Guide to Cincinnati Bell Fioptics

Hello all im going to resurrect this thread here as it still needs to known. I believe in my opinion that there is nothing wrong with Fioptics. Expectations for a lot people is set way to high with the equipment they initially give you! Please read through my initial forum post. I will be updating to reflect what i have found with further use.

xur172

@fuse.net

Re: Your All Inclusive Guide to Cincinnati Bell Fioptics

I don't really have a problem with their service (I've been pretty happy with it so far).

It's when I have to talk to a person there that things go sideways... Even with simple requests, they end up messing up my account, canceling service, changing my bill, etc, when they shouldn't. The installers always seem to be friendly and relatively knowledgeable. My two complaints are:

1) The routers they 'rent' to you are not very good. I previously had 50mbps Fioptics, and was given a 54mbps wireless g router that wouldn't work at the speeds I payed for via wireless, and crashed when making simple configuration changes.
2) Customer service is poor. The problem isn't with getting routed to overseas call centers, etc. I honestly don't care who I talk to, as long as I can hold a coherent conversation with me, and they can actually help. No one seems to be cross-trained, so simple requests result in multiple transfers, and me explaining the situation to each person.
Crispin

join:2003-06-04
Fairfield, OH
If you don't need your ZTE modem/router, you can take it back to the CB store and they'll give you a return receipt for it. Keep the return receipt in case they try to bill you for the modem in the future. At least that's what I've done.
vudutu4

join:2008-01-17
Cincinnati, OH

Cincinnati Bell or Time Warner for internet service?

Helping a friend choose service at his new place in Clifton, no Fioptics there yet, Looks like my friends choices in internet service are CBTS or TW, CBTS is at about $40 per mo for 20 Mbps and TW is about $45 right now. Anyone have a suggestion?

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

Re: Cincinnati Bell or Time Warner for internet service?

Those TWC prices are promotional as well, so in 12 months, if you switch to TWC, you're going to be back in the same boat with trying to get an extension to the promotion or paying the higher price (it's not realistic to keep swapping back and forth, and there's no way either would offer you promotional pricing each time).

Promo pricing seriously needs to be at least the everyday price, period. No reeling people in and then gutting them 12 months later. Offer an attractive price and set it in stone.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

"Attractive" price = less revenue (i.e. net profit). Equipment, maintainance, employee costs are not permanantly "attractive" so why should the cost to the consumer be?

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

said by JimMcCoy:

"Attractive" price = less revenue (i.e. net profit). Equipment, maintainance, employee costs are not permanantly "attractive" so why should the cost to the consumer be?

So high profit margins are a legitimate excuse for offering crappy pricing? The customer base is what keeps these companies alive. The promotional pricing is attractive, which is why they offer it to get new users on board. However, their customer acquisition and retention rates would increase if they had these promotional prices as the "everyday low price". If companies can't stay afloat without nickel and diming their customers there is a serious problem.

Lack of real competition has been evident over the years. We're probably lucky to see the pricing we do here (there's been at least a modicum of competition between CBT and TWC thankfully, even more so now that CBT has fiber). The pricing could and should be much better though. It's unfortunate there isn't a third player here to help shake things up. With only two players it always results in both of them falling into the comfy bed of screwing their customer bases over in lockstep.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

A third player might be helpful, but to enter the marketplace with an existing company (much less two) is prohibitative due to the long-term break-even point.

So unless the government is going to build out the infrastructure and lease it (which most people in the US would be strongly against due to the tax increase that would incur), 3 or more competing companies will not occur anytime soon.
rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Time Warner Cable

Not sure if you know the situation for broadband in the Cincinnati area but it is exactly how deathk stated. In other areas you do have much more competition for video and broadband services.
I'd be happy if Cincinnati Bell was available in 99.9 percent of households but it is not, and really is not a major 2nd player with only about 25 percent of households have Fios available to them.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

CB doesn't have FiOS to them. No state in the Midwest has FiOS Ft. Wayne has fiber but its not by VZ.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

said by TBBroadband:

CB doesn't have FiOS to them. No state in the Midwest has FiOS Ft. Wayne has fiber but its not by VZ.

People use "Fios" as a general term for fiber. It's just one of those things. CBT's fiber here is called Fioptics. They've lumped both the FTTH and FTTN ("last mile" DSL) products under the same name (unfortunately).
--
Photos By Greg Strong
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

and FiOS is NOT a general term. It is a brand name owned by Verizon and thus is their product. It is actually a copyrighted brand and only they are permitted to use it unless they license it to others People need to learn the difference when asking or talking about a product. (and yet people wonder why American's are stupid compared to other countries)

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

said by TBBroadband:

and FiOS is NOT a general term.

It's become a colloquial term a lot of people use to describe fiber service. I never said it was right (and I like how you lay it out like I don't know what the FiOS brand is... :facepalm:). It happens all the time though. Big brand names become general terms to describe similar or identical products (like saying Q-tips instead of cotton swabs). Don't delude yourself into thinking Americans are the only people who do that.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

jduffy
Premium
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Vonage
·net2phone
·Cincinnati Bell
·ooma
EVERYTHING the government provides from a "service" perspective is crap. I would not want to have government providing the Internet, especially with their endless snooping in and violation of our privacy.
--
Atheists swear there is no Heaven, but pray there isn't a Hell.

jduffy
Premium
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Vonage
·net2phone
·Cincinnati Bell
·ooma
Because it's called competition. So when the promotion rate expires, move to the other provider. Keep doing it every year. I do it all the time. Some times I do not have to switch. Call in a cancellation order, and they drop the price or "find" a package.
--
zach1008

join:2013-12-16
Florence, KY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell

Made the switch and so far so good

So I gave up on Time warner. Was having issues with them and their services were constantly going out for me lately. My rates have gone up and the quality has gone down. Was paying for 20meg but was only consistently getting about 9-10meg. They pulled new RG-11 to the house and still no help.

As for the fioptics, it was a longer than expected install but I will say the technician was the best I have had in my home for this kind of service. I have had dish, direct and time warner and this guy by far was the best. He explained things to me as well as allowed me to set things up a bit as I am an IT Professional and have some special setups at the house. I opted for 4 tvs, whole home dvr, and 20 meg internet. That is all I can get given that we have FTTN. May consider getting a second stream to get more services but that will be determined later.

The internet has been rock solid at just at 19.5-20meg down which is great. Latency on the wired connections is around 20ms, again excellent. TV has been good as well. I have not had any real issues with the signal or picture. The HD quality is the best I have seen due to the technology.

So for me, saving money and getting what I am paying for is worth the switch. I will update as time goes and I get a better feel for the services.

Also, the sales process was exceptional. If you are considering fioptics, PM me and I can provide you with the reps name and number and if you use me as a referral it will save us both some money for 10 months on top of any promo's, etc. She was honest with me and didn't let me get more than they can provide me. I originally wanted 30meg internet but she told me based on the information in the system what my max bandwidth would be and what services I could then get and actually use them. Top notch in my book.

jduffy
Premium
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Vonage
·net2phone
·Cincinnati Bell
·ooma

Re: Made the switch and so far so good

You have to be one of the very few CBT customers who is happy with Fioptics. Everyone I know who has it complains about it for all sorts of reasons. Glad it works for you. Now if CBT would just take care of the rest of their customers like they did with you, they might be more successful.
--
Rawrcat

join:2014-01-12
Cincinnati, OH

Anyone else having slow speeds at night on Fioptics?

For the past 6 days straight, at 9pm my 30Mbs down / 5Mbs up connection tanks to around 2Mbs / 2Mbs. Often, the upload is actually higher on speed tests than the download. Around 1-2AM is when it shoots back up to normal. When I was on the phone with tech support last night it was actually at 0.79Mbs / 3Mbs. I received a call back today from someone today that said the network engineers looked at it and it wasn't on their end.

Any ideas what this might be? My initial thought was it's just oversubscribed, but I don't understand why it's been fine for the past 8 or so months and just now doing this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Annoyed

@fuse.net

Re: Anyone else having slow speeds at night on Fioptics?

I'm having a similar problem ftp transfers. I have 10/10 and while speedtest from both ZoomTown & SpeedTest.net show full speed, my ftp transfers are a meager 150KB/s. I've tried two different sources, two different PCs here and two different ftp clients. Only thing that is in common is Fuse. Now based on transfers I queue up, the speed shoots back up in the very early morning hours.

anomynous

@fuse.net

new dsl modem fee

latest bill has a notice
"Effective February 3, 2014, a monthly modem fee of $1.99 will be billed to your account."

I called the indicated contact number and pointed out that I am on their (grandfathered) 'Priced for Life' program. They responded that I would not be subject to the charge.

FWIW, the last time they tried to add a 'below the line' monthly fee to my bill, I took it to the utilities commision and CBT eventually removed and refunded it for all 'Priced for Life' customers.

fusenet

@fuse.net

Re: new dsl modem fee

The same notice ("Effective February 3, 2014, a monthly modem fee of $1.99 will be billed to your account") is on my latest Cincinnati Bell bill. I, too, am on their (grandfathered) 'Priced for Life' program. Today (1/24/14) I called the indicated contact number and was told that despite my being 'Priced for Life', the new monthly modem fee WILL apply to me. The rep said that the 'Priced for Life' program applies to services, but not to equipment. I replied that I knew that, but I also told the rep that I would have no functioning ZoomTown SERVICE without a modem. Thus, the new modem fee is a fraudulent and deceptive way to raise the price of the ZoomTown service, despite the fact that no service increases are permitted under the terms of Cincinnati Bell's 'Price for Life' program.

The rep said she understood why I felt that way. Despite that, though, the monthly $1.99 modem charge will begin with my next bill.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29

Don't you just love how sleaze-ball companies raise rates.

If only someone would enforce truth in advertising laws.

anomynous

@fuse.net
hmmm...

Fighting it through the system takes some time, and given how Kasich slashed funding for the Ohio Consumers' Counsel, I'm not sure how much help they can provide now-a-days. But filing a thoughtfully worded complaint with PUCO, OCC, and BBB is the first step. I also contacted one of the local TV stations.

Argument I used last time (it was some bulls**t 99 cent/mo fee) was that the charge they were trying to add was a cost of doing business. I'd probably approach this as it being a cost of providing service that was previously factored into the bill for the service. (What's next, a dial-tone electricity surcharge? A DSLAM maintanence fee?) Of course multiple people filing complaints helps.

We'll have to see what actually happens on the next bill.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH
It wouldn't be as big of an issue if they had equipment fees from the start, but they're tacking these fees on way down the line. You could be using the equipment for years with no fee then all the sudden they want to start charging you for it? That's not right. The real kicker is they'll continue to charge you that fee month after month, year after year to the point where you've paid well over and above their original cost for it (that's ignoring the depreciation of the equipment).

It's nothing more than a money grab. They're all doing it these days so it's no surprise CBT hopped on the bandwagon.
--
Photos By Greg Strong
xur17

join:2003-03-26
Cincinnati, OH
I agree that this fee is bs, but - fyi, I was told by a technician that you can buy your own, and return the modem they gave you. I did this with fioptics previously, and now I'm doing it with their dsl. Bought a modem for $15 off ebay, and I'll make back the fee in 5 months.
Crispin

Fairfield, OH
Do you have to call them before you return their modem? Or can you just drop it off at the nearest Cinci Bell store?
xur17

Cincinnati, OH

I just dropped mine off last night. Make sure you keep the receipt, because last time I moved out they tried to charge me $100 for my cheapo modem...

dcurrey
Premium

That must be the norm. When I moved and turned in my equipment they lost the modem. Wanted to bill me $100 for it. Thank god I keep the receipt.

anomynous

@fuse.net
Thought about fighting the bs fee (again), but decided to just get a modem instead. Dropped old one off today (and filed away the receipt). Guy in store had to ask co-workers about removing modem fee from account; we'll see if it 'sticks'.

Hope someone else files a PUCO complaint, as I hate seeing them wiggle out of 'priced for life' by adding below-the-line fees.

••••••••
Crispin

Fairfield, OH
I also got my first bill after returning my modem and sure enough, there's a $4.99 charge for it on there. I called their Billing line this morning and after 29 minutes on hold, was told that even though I returned the modem I'm still going to be charged $4.99 because I "have the service." I told her that wasn't acceptable because it's an equipment fee and I already pay for the service. I then waited for another 10 minutes for a supervisor.

The supervisor told me the fee is not for the equipment but for the "option" of using the equipment. So it will be charged regardless of whether I have the modem or not. Ridiculous. If it's not an equipment fee, then just raise my rate. Don't try to tack on a fake equipment fee for something I don't need.

The best she could do was drop the fee down to $2.99 since she insists it's for Cincinnati Bell's service and not the actual modem. She said this is Cincinnati Bell's policy and she can't remove the fee.

Cincinnati Bell, your phone support is worthless. They are argumentative and obviously have little guidance or instruction. I've never had a good experience with them. On top of that, this fee is arguably fraud if you're not actually charging for equipment. This needs to be addressed by your management.

•••••••••••••••••
xur17

Cincinnati, OH

My Experience with Cincinnati Bell (New Service)

NOTE: I apologize for the length of this message, but I figured some of the details might be useful to some people (and it's a great way to vent).

I could write a book with all of my previous bad experiences with Cincinnati Bell, but I'll focus on my most recent experience in this post. In my experience, getting service and repairs is a nightmare, but their service is pretty solid once it's working.

-- Purchasing Service --

Moved into an apartment and decided to go with Cincinnati Bell Fioptics (dsl version) since it was the cheapest, and I've typically received pretty solid speeds from them. Used online chat to talk to someone, mentioned the price from Time Warner, and they beat it (by $2). Said I needed a few days to think about it, and I'd call back in a week or two. I was reassured that the offer would still be available, and was given a direct number (+1 for Cincinnati Bell).

A few days later, I decided to go with Cincinnati Bell for sure, and called the person up. Left a message, and never heard back until about 5 days later (after I successfully signed up for service). I decided to call the main number, and use them to sign up for service so I could get it in the system and activated sooner. Talked to someone who said they could offer the same deal, and quickly verified the details (free installation, $32.98 / month including the modem), etc. I called after work, so it was nearing the end of the day, so I could tell the person wanted to get finished up (no hard feelings though, I'd feel the same).

We went through the process of establishing an account, I gave my ssn, she said it could be installed on Saturday, everything was fine until she got to the last step of the process. Gave me the total charge ($32.98/month), and then said their would be a one time activation fee (apparently I should have specifically asked about the activation cost, not just installation...) of $30. I pushed back, and tried to get her to remove the charge. She claimed she couldn't, and it was a standard charge of their's. I mentioned that I've setup service both at my apartment and at my parent's house, and was NEVER charge and activation or installation fee. She refused to give in, I asked to be transferred to her manager, but they apparently had all left, so I asked her to call me back the next day (and leave a message if I didn't answer since I'd be at work) after talking to her supervisor, and I'd be ready to purchase if they'd waive the activation fee.

I saw a missed call the next day from Cincinnati Bell's main number, and figured it was the previous agent I spoke to calling me back, so I called her back after work. She still insisted that they couldn't offer free activation, so I asked to be transferred to her supervisor, who might be able to waive it. I was transferred to her supervisor who insisted on re-entering the order into the system (since the previous agent apparently cancelled the order for some reason...), so I went through the process again, and then she informed me that the offer I was previously offered wasn't in their system, and shouldn't have been offered to me. I finally gave up.

Because I apparently enjoy this, I decided to give it one more try, and requested the $32.98 pricing using the online chat. The person was able to offer me the quoted price, and shipped out a self installation kit (which brings me to the next part of the story).

-- Installation --

I called and requested Cincinnati Bell move up my installation date since I had an old dsl router that might work. I got home from work, and noticed a package in front of my door from Cincinnati Bell. Since the router arrived, I decided to use it instead of my old one. The box contained a cd with an installation guide, and a modem. I followed the guide (which required me to find my old Windows machine, since that was the only OS supported), and plugged the modem into the wall, and my computer. Unfortunately the dsl light never came on, so I called up customer service, where I was transferred to 'Fioptics support'. The agent assures me that it doesn't show up as activated yet on his end, so I check my online account that confirms my order was completed at 6:05pm. He says he's not sure what I'm seeing, but he can't do anything since it shows up as not activated on his end. I ask if there's anything else he can do, to which he replies 'no'. I ask him if it'll start working at some point, and I don't get a straight answer, so I ask what I should do, to which I'm told "it's up to you".

I really wish I could say this was an atypical experience with Cincinnati Bell, but it honestly seems to be the norm.

Major issues:
- NO one seems to be cross trained, so being transferred is a very typical experience (I'm pretty sure I was transferred at least once for almost every call I made).
- Customer service is vague about pricing until the very end (oh, by the way, there is a one time charge to setup service, which isn't the installation charge).
- Customer service seems to be unable to do anything outside of the ordinary, and is unable to help if anything goes wrong.

I could go on and on with my previous bad experiences, including one where Cincinnati Bell disconnected our service inadvertently, and wasn't able to fix it for over a week (until we resorted to contacting the CEO).

Cincinnati Bell's network has never really given me issues other than 1 or 2 expected outages due to bad weather, and they are starting to build out a GREAT fiber to the home network, that will pay dividends in the future, but they really need to get their act together in the customer service department.
bodah

join:2014-01-15
Independence, KY

IP addresses of Set Top Boxes

Last night, I put my ZyXel modem in bridge mode and configured the multicast settings on my Asus RT-AC66u router.

Everything seems to be working, except the iPad app. It is unable to locate any of the STBs.

My router has an IP address of 208.102.*.*, and all of my personal devices have IPs of 192.168.*.*, but the STBs have IPs of 74.83.*.* and 208.102.*.*

I am assuming this is why the iPad doesn't "see" them.

Does anyone know if the STBs should have 192. IP addresses so they are on the internal network?

dcurrey
Premium

Re: IP addresses of Set Top Boxes

If they are behind your router they should be in your router dhcp range.

Might help if you explain your setup. CB seems to just slap installs together in whatever fashion is cheapest.
bodah

join:2014-01-15
Independence, KY

Re: IP addresses of Set Top Boxes

I was able to figure it out.

My router has an IPTV setting that I had enabled that said that the STB was connected to port 4.
This allowed the STB to get an IP from outside of my router.

I disabled this, and they all have a 192. IP from my router.

disgusted cu

@8.17.178.x

Fioptics

I complained about the price increase to customer retention on 1-6-14, worked out deal and all the problemsbegan!
First all my services were cancelled, tv, net, and phone! No one knew why and then they wanted to charge me a fee to turn it back on! And then I had to schedule 5 days out to get it turned back on, had a previous appt on the books fortunately so the tech came out and after determining my bill was current, turned all services back on. Thought the was it, not! 1 day later the phone stopped receiving calls, then no out going calls either!
Ioptics is the worse cable I have ever paid for, but consumers are caught between a rock and a hard place cbt or twc they both are evil and dysfunctional.

Bane

@fuse.net

IPTV for RT-AC66U

I have a question I have the silly ZTE router and I have an RT-AC66u... I receive there IPTV service and I have 30 MBPS up and 5 down... I am wondering if I am able to turn the ZTE into a bridge and still get the IPTV service? Thank you for your time

•••••••••
Gman

join:2014-01-20
USA

1 edit

Cinci Bell Fioptics Rant.....Looser and I'm being very polite

When we signed up we were promised no promotion pricing with the quote we got, and the caller ID on TV feature was just around the corner from being activated.......BS !

Over time the cable boxes were getting slower and slower to switch from TV to cable guide menus, not to mention all the cable box reboots every week. I really think they rolled this system out and used the public as guinea pigs to test run the system as it's surely full of problems. Screen freeze and large momentary pixals was another issue allot.

The final straw..............Got my cable bill today, said promotions ending, it went up $30 a month.....BS again. Called several times after we signed up asking about caller ID on the TV, reply was, it's not even on our radar screen to implement into our system. Now you figure why a phone company can't implement caller ID.....BS again !

After I got my bill today I pulled the plug on Fioptics and moving onto Direct TV to what I was paying when I first signed up with Cinci Bell. I might add while I'm on my rant, their customer service sucks as well. Does anybody other than me think there hiding their contact phone numbers, they sure don't make then easy to find and when you do find the one you need, you call and get a busy signal....."REALLY".....LMAO.....and all this is from a "PHONE COMPANY", what a freak'n joke. I feel sorry for my neighbors who switched shortly after I did because I did, they probably won't talk to me any more.........

Word to the wise, shop else where as it's not a bargain like you may think. TWC wasn't any better, matter of fact they were $8 higher than the new inflated bill I had gotten and there cable outage percentage was even worse.

jduffy
Premium
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Vonage
·net2phone
·Cincinnati Bell
·ooma

Re: Cinci Bell Fioptics Rant.....Looser and I'm being very polite

CBT is no longer a phone company. The largest issue with CBT is that they have a huge amount of debt, and it the Yahoo finance data is correct, they also have a negative net worth. So if that is true, that is the problem, in that they cannot invest in the business the way they should in order to build out an system that is reliable and well supported. Let's hope Google will continue to build out a fibre network in other cities across America.
--
CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

Re: Cinci Bell Fioptics Rant.....Looser and I'm being very polite

There is no doubt that Cincinnati Bell carries significant debt, but that does not mean that they are not investing in new infrastructure. Perhaps they are using cash freed via the CyrusOne transactions but one way or another they are spending fairly heavily on the PON systems to deliver FTTH.

Wvk

@mycingular.net

720p to1080i

Have an older it's tv that takes only 1080i- can the zte box output1080i ?

dcurrey
Premium

Re: 720p to1080i

I know the ZTE boxes I have can be set to

Resolution
480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i

Aspect ratio of
16:9, 4:3 and Full Screen

Hope that helps.

mr_blanket

@fuse.net

(FTTN) I want to throw this ZTE modem out the window (port forwarding)

Hello all. I'm not sure why Cincinnati Bell decided that this dreadful modem was the one they were going to deploy, but it is what it is.

My main problem is port forwarding for my security cameras. With TWC, we had a customer owned cable modem + Apple Airport Extreme (wireless N). The airport handled all the DHCP, DNS, routing, wireless, and port forwarding flawlessly. Never once had any issue at all. Now, the tech gets to our house, plugs up the ZTE router and I get a "double NAT" warning from the airport. I ask the tech to put it in to bridge mode so I wouldn't have to mess with the settings in the ZTE router... he just shrugs and says "well, it seems like you know more about this than I do" and leaves. So for the last week, I've been trying to figure out how to forward ports on the ZTE. Under "virtual NAT" I see something that LOOKS like port forwarding, but I can never get it to work. I try one of each interface and all three at once, resetting the modem each time. No luck. I'm at wits end because I'm about to leave for a couple weeks and I NEED these cameras to work.

So, as it stands today, my options are to 1) beg TWC to have me back, 2) figure out how to get this ZTE modem in to bridge mode and use my airport like always, 3) find another router that works with IGMP. If possible, please let me know what routers are confirmed to work well with Fioptics. I would prefer to stick with Apple if possible, but I cannot find any information on if the new wireless AC unit will do IGMP...

Thanks all for your help and support

•••••••••••••

Hodge

@fuse.net

Poor service with FiOptics DVR service

My girlfriend has had FiOptics now for 6 months and her DVR service keeps freezing and pixelating to the point where watching the show is impossible. After countless calls to customer service, their only response is that is a known service problem and a technician will not be sent over. Trying to get credit is like pulling teeth. Today my girlfriend has been on the phone with them for over two hours and is only getting a $10 credit for six months of problems!!! If DVR service is $5 a month and having problems for 6 months shouldn't we get $30 credit? I think we are definitely switching back to Time Warner Cable!
ChrisDG74

join:2010-05-27
Cincinnati, OH

Re: Poor service with FiOptics DVR service

We've been having this issue since August. We were told there was going to be a software update to fix it, and that it was coming in January. Well, when Feb 1st rolled around, I asked. I was told "later this quarter". Looks like i may be dumping their TV service and going back to DirecTV.

CinBell

@65.90.80.x
Hi Hodge,

My name is Katie and I work for Cincinnati Bell. I am happy to help with any service issues your girlfriend is having with her Fioptics. Please have her email me her account # and a convenient contact # to cincinnati.bell@fuse.net with the subject line "DSL Reports, attention Katie"

Thanks,

Katie
Cincinnati Bell
Social Media Team

anomynous

@fuse.net

robocall notif?

I just received a robocall from CBT informing me that some customers are experiencing intermittent internet connectivity and they are working to resolve the issue.

I HAD been experiencing a problem earlier (modem reboots) but never logged a problem report.

Is this something new? Them calling us??
ChrisDG74

Cincinnati, OH

Re: robocall notif?

They probably got tired of people hammering their Facebook page(me included), notifying them out their outages. They have been having DNS issues for the better part of the last week. It finally affected me today. Changed my DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8) and I have had no problems since.

Bearcat01

@fuse.net

TV guide lag (whole home DVR)

We recently switched from Time Warner to Cincinnati Bell's whole home DVR (three boxes) with 30mb/sec down internet.

Love everything except the DVR is just super slow. I have to hit the guide button 3-4 times before the guide pops up... when moving up and down the guide it lags and it takes a moment for the channel logos and numbers to correct themselves.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a new DVR box I can request or a setting I can change to improve it?

•••
Gamechief

Cincinnati, OH

Fioptics 100mbits internet pulling down 100MB/s Burst- Outrageous speeds

Click for full size
29MB/s
Click for full size
100MBs
I dont see what the big deal is with most people using FTTH the solution to your issues is to not use the crap ZTE router they supply you with and go by a better router such as this »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320174. I have had fioptics for almost a year now and have had 0 Problems with the services besides the core outage they had with the TV that caused them to send me a $25 gift card.

To put things into comparison
100mbit pipe = 12.1 MB/s in actual speed(which is consistent)
1024KB/s = 1MB

What im "bursting" up to and sometimes seeing consistently

SEE PICTURES
viper453

join:2003-03-30
Cincinnati, OH

Re: Fioptics 100mbits internet pulling down 100MB/s Burst- Outrageous speeds

Those are some nice speed their, i am still on 20/2 dsl myself

HD

@fuse.net

First Impressions with Fioptics Internet and TV

So far so good, although we have only had it for a couple of days now. We were to get fiber all the way from the pole to the house, and had the option for the 100 MBs download. We got the 20 MBs and get pretty close to those speeds.

We switched from Time Warner after they sent a nice letter saying our rates were going up. TW was kind enough to inform us that we should be paying close to 100% more for their services, but they would be only raising our rates by 30%. Thank you, but no.

We added a whole house DVR and overall the picture on Fioptics is as good as TW. The ability to record three shows at once is a nice upgrade to the TW HD DVR box. We didn't have the whole house DVR with TW, just one HD DVR box and a converter for a second TV.

There is some room for improvement for CB though that TW has an edge on. Hopefully these will be addressed. Still in the learning curve though, so solutions may already be out there.

1) Scrolling through the guide or DVR list, seems like there is always several seconds of the data loading.

2) You can record 3 shows at once, but you can't watch a recorded show at the same time on the main box. With the TW HD DVR, I could record 2 shows, and watch a previously recorded show. Not a biggie.

3) No quick rewind button. When fast forwarding either paused or recorded shows, would be nice to have a button to allow a quick 30 second rewind. There is one on the remote, but it functions differently.

4) Haven't figured out where or if it is possible to find a list of shows that are scheduled to be recorded.

5) The Favorites channel button. Would like to be able to hit it once and it go to the Channel, not bring up a menu/list of the favorites.

6) A list of DVR'd recordings that you can just highlight and play right away, not have to click through the file/directory menu.

I think TW is a bit slicker with their software integration and it took them lots of time to get there. Hopefully CB will get there as well. If you know of any workarounds, please let me know.

HD

HD

@pg.com

Re: First Impressions with Fioptics Internet and TV

Have had Fioptics TV for a little over a week now and still in the learing curve. The menu's are still a bit clunky, but getting easier to deal with as we get used to it.

The main issue that is cropping up now is that we get pausing/skipping during viewing. This occurs during both live and recorded TV. It only happens for a fraction of a second, but is definitely noticeable.
ChrisDG74

Cincinnati, OH

Re: First Impressions with Fioptics Internet and TV

There's an issue with the DVR service. We've been dealing with it since August. We were told repeatedly it would be fixed in a software update in January. February 1st, we were told "sometime this quarter". If, on March 31st, it's still not fixed, we're going back to DirecTV. It really is ridiculous. We haven't been able to watch our living room tv(the one that has the DVR on it), since Summer.
dmarvin79

join:2005-05-02
Cincinnati, OH

ZTE 931 WII verification of putting in bridge mode

OK I have asked CB for the step by step instructions on how to do this so I can use my own wireless router--insert hysterical laughter here.

I do have the PDF manual for the router. Do I simply follow the instructions starting on page 64 for "Configure VDSL2 Bridge WAN Connection" exactly as it is written? Do I have to enable the VLAN Mux and if so what are the values to enter?

Thanks,

Dennis
danel1962

join:2014-03-08
Cincinnati, OH

Re: ZTE 931 WII verification of putting in bridge mode

I wish I could help you, my friend...shy of googling stuff like you can. I don't own that piece. Ready to dump Ma Bell myself with their new price increases. Life's too short...

Use the instructions w/o the VLAN Mux and see what happens.

Are you Captain Fantastic from the CB radio with the D-104 lollipop microphone and the white VW Beetle from the late 70s?

Dan E.
dmarvin79

join:2005-05-02
Cincinnati, OH

Re: ZTE 931 WII verification of putting in bridge mode

Thanks Dan. And yes I am of whom you speak! I'm still on the air with amateur radio, and have a Silver Eagle I use from time to time, but the VW is long gone.

Now who would you be? I'm curious!

Dennis
mattman111

join:2014-03-02

Port Forwarding on a ZyXel VSG1432-B101

I don't normally make an account for such a task, I've port forwarded before and had never issues until we switched to CB. I've been trying for weeks to port forward this router for video games on the fly. The port is forwarded and it says it's "on" in Nat/Port Forwarding tab.

However when I try to see if the port is open, canyouseeme.org It says the port is closed. So am I doing some wrong? I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult to port forward. I feel as if I'm being blocked from opening ports which I shouldn't be as a customer.

•••