dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

About..
some frequent posters..
Welcome to DSLR's Sparklight formerly CableOne Forum

An independently operated and maintained user community resource for the discussion of information, problems, solutions and questions related to Sparklight.

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 ... 27 · 28 · 29 · next

Norm0404
@cableone.net

Norm0404

Anon

Remote Control Insensitive

DVR with Brand new remote control & brand new batteries.
Remote sometimes takes 2 to 3 clicks to get any response.
Anyone else seeing this?
John Patrick
join:2001-06-07
Sioux City, IA

John Patrick

Re: Remote Control Insensitive

On my DVR I had same issue was told its the angle but after many months of it I just cancelled and installed a dual channel tv tuner card and now use windows media center.

Heyburn
@cableone.net

Heyburn

Anon

Slow Download Speed In Heyburn, ID

Click for full size
Long time C1 customer. Subscribed to 50/3.
Last couple months, depending on time of day or night, getting very slow download speed.
Sometimes get full speed, but never when I actually need it.
Thanks for listening.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: Slow Download Speed In Heyburn, ID

What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
Any external routers connected? Mfr and model #?

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Mine from this AM: Motorola SB 6180 > DIR-655 Rev B
Last Result:
Download Speed: 52530 kbps (6566.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3162 kbps (395.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
2/22/2014 12:06:45 PM

Heyburn
@cableone.net

Heyburn

Anon

Re: Slow Download Speed In Heyburn, ID

Click for full size
Thanks for the reply.
I got good speed right now, but later or tomorrow, I might get a fraction of the speed I pay for. All hardware, cable and connections are newer and solid. I'm just concerned that my area has been over sold. I guess I'll just have to call C1 CS whenever I'm having problem.
Thanks again.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Heyburn

to Heyburn
Ya keep bugging them. Tell them to look at there log files during the time frame when you notice this drop in speed. Demand a on site tech guy to come visit as well.

Let us know how it goes.

mkt624
join:2000-11-09
Ardmore, OK

mkt624 to Heyburn

to Heyburn
I don't know about your area but in Oklahoma the DNS servers that cable one uses are terrible. I had to change my DNS server settings in order for mine to become stable.

ChrisG32
@cableone.net

ChrisG32

Anon

Sioux city Area High ping?

So my ping seems to be high mainly at peak hours. Anyone else in this area getting high ping? been going on for about 4months now.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: Sioux city Area High ping?

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Call CS up and ask for a one site tech to visit if needed...
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki

Commercial for upload speeds up to 12mb

Just saw a commercial for C1 that says uploads increased to up to 12mb for free. Wonder what packages get what????

Bout time that "it's just common sense" actually made sense.

jasonkradiog
@cableone.net

jasonkradiog

Anon

Re: Commercial for upload speeds up to 12mb

It does seem like they are trying to make it easier for people to hit their usage caps.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer to fieroloki

Premium Member

to fieroloki
I'm on 70/~6 and I just ran this speed test:

Edit: I didn't see the commercial, but higher upload speeds would be great! Their website still has the current speeds advertised though:

»www.cableone.net/residen ··· internet

rekd0514
join:2009-03-24
North Sioux City, SD

rekd0514 to fieroloki

to fieroloki
I figured this would happen eventually with services like twitch.tv showing up on the Xbox One soon. I'm glad they are finally going to give us better upload speeds.

Soskyon
@cableone.net

Soskyon to fieroloki

Anon

to fieroloki
The commercial was not for 12mb upload. It was showing how fast a 12mb upload goes with a 6mb.
John Patrick
Sioux City, IA
·Sparklight

John Patrick

Cableone planned maintenance

From Facebook Page

Cable ONE

Sioux City Customers: We will be upgrading equipment and performing maintenance in your area on Thursday, Feb. 27 and Friday, Feb. 28, from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. This upgrade will help increase the reliability and stability of your Internet service. During this overnight timeframe, you may not have access to your service while we are performing these upgrades. We appreciate your patience!
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki

Re: Cableone planned maintenance

Probably for the new upload speeds coming.

rekd0514
join:2009-03-24
North Sioux City, SD

rekd0514

What are the new upload speeds? I have been noticing the download speed is not very good during the day lately. Hopefully the upgrade fixes that too.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by rekd0514:

What are the new upload speeds? I have been noticing the download speed is not very good during the day lately. Hopefully the upgrade fixes that too.

hmm probably upgrades from 625MHz cable system to 750MHz or higher using drop in upgrades to the existing line gear.
Bonedoc
Premium Member
join:2001-06-19
Chino Valley, AZ

Bonedoc

Premium Member

Chino Valley Cable One users??

OUCH. Worst support I've ever seen. Anyone in Prescott, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley know why the darn 'email' interface on their web site is down or still down (been a week at least where I cannot 'access' web mail - the download to Tbird works but cannot even change a second account's password on their website).

Been using them for two years, only DSL in town, and their support is just rotten. Down time is not a problem, on occasion only and usually up in 24 hours or so... but just basic efforts to 'change' a payment type are ridiculous. They even acknowledge that their 'accounts' page on their web site does NOT WORK (oh, it's never worked, hahahah! Geez!)

I am still leasing their modem.... turned off the router function in it. Anyone have a good Docsis 3 'modem' only that works with Cableone? Many thanks.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: Chino Valley Cable One users??

I recommend the Motorola SB 6120, 6121, 6141 or 6180 for CableOne. They work well. You'll need a router if you want additional WiFi and support for multiple devices as those modes are stand alone modems only. I recommend D-Link WiFi routers.

You might try to contact the main hub for cable one support instead of the local office...
Bonedoc
Premium Member
join:2001-06-19
Chino Valley, AZ

Bonedoc

Premium Member

Re: Chino Valley Cable One users??

Thanks...
My comment was solely about 'service' or 'support' for issues regarding 'maintaining' email passwords, billing issues and their online interface(s), etc.

I've not had issues with connectivity. They have been up for the most part..

Cableone does use the Motorola, I have turned 'off' their router within the Motorola SBG6580 as I prefer my Netgear. Will be leaning towards dumping the 'rental.'

I do use the main hub, in AZ it is Phoenix... and no better at all. They are the ones who dropped the ball on my 'transfer', did not turn off the old payment method nor turn on the new one. Poor billing procedures, etc. I have to keep 'em but I would never suggest them 'if' there were alternatives.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Bonedoc

to Bonedoc
Interesting that they did drop the ball. I've never had issues with C1, however I only have Internet thru them and have only had few issues and it's always been there problem...minor outages. Ya, get in to one of the other stand alone modems. Avoid the rental fees. Good luck.

rugo32
join:2014-04-01
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

Motorola SB 6141 problems

I own this non-configurable modem and I am having intermitttant issues with and see some configuration errors, like wrong internal time clock ever since DST went into effect etc. Someone from C1 has came to my home and seen my 192.168.100.1 issues and told me that they will escalate this issue to the support engineers and get back to me with an answer..which they have not yet after 10 days since then, so I take that as a sign to look into a different ISP. Is there anyone who also owns the Moto SB6141 that could enlighten me about this device, since I am not sure if it is a defective device or not, thanks rugo32.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: Motorola SB 6141 problems

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, [u]RG-6 coaxial[/u] cable is needed, not [color=red]RG-59[/color]. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

These are good modems, I don't have this particular modem, I have the 20, 21 and 80. All are good. If the modem isn't getting good signal from the ISP service then the service needs to be looked at by a tech. I would test the modem out on at a different location as well, friend or family or neighbors place with cable ISP service. If the problem follows then you'll know.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

Thank you BimmerE38FN for your insightful reply.
I have not ruled out the my Netgear R6300 could be part of the problem..however, the C1 repair tech's never thunk to rule that out...I mentioned I had other router's etc.
I suggested your recommended...No Dice.
The C1 repair tech's hold their Panasonic Tough book's...Is it were an "Etch-a-Sketch".
PS: C1, I do understand DEMARC's..that is why on the 3rd visit I had a note from the apt. mgmt. giving you the "green light" and even opened the closet 4 you. I guess no more "SUPER STREAMING" for me. Sincerely, Jason Rousseau.
rugo32

rugo32

oops.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
The both the modem and routers at a different location if you can. If they work well at a different location, then you'll have something to give C1...

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

I put about a 10ft distance between the modem and router using a cat6 cable. I have a loft style apt. which makes it a bit challenging for me to evenly disperse my Lan..hopefully the space will cut down on my S/N ratio.
John Patrick
Sioux City, IA
·Sparklight

John Patrick to rugo32

to rugo32
How much is your time off by? I'm with cable one in Sioux City, Iowa and it shows off by one hour.

The time does nothing for your service can you go into detail what other issue you are having?

I know cable one was doing a lot of maintenance here in Sioux city these last few weeks the routing even changed to Biloxi, MS for almost a week. Just checked and seems fixed now showing back to Sioux City now instead of Biloxi.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

JP- I am behind by one hour...I am on CST (4:39) modem shows (3:39) which is probably Phoenix time.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
It gets its time from the ISP service so I presume where the NTP query needs to be set on the ISP modem for time zone location on there side as these modems don't have any time settings I believe...Being off an hour shouldn't really impact anything however it could be. I'd test the modem at a different location if possible...
BimmerE38FN

BimmerE38FN to rugo32

to rugo32
you can also use external LAN switches connected to the router to help connect lan devices to the router a well.
Hope it helps.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

CableOne Name server's?

Greetings, I was wondering if there are better name server's options than what I currently use now: 24.116.0.53/24.116.2.50 ?
I was also told over the phone by a C1 TS to use: 4.2.2.2 /4.2.2.1.
I was wondering if someone who has some insight on this topic would care to enlighten me on which Name server works best for them and why and give some brief demographic 411.
Thanks in advance, Jason.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: CableOne Name server's?

I use this: Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench Can be used on any mfr router...

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to rugo32

Premium Member

to rugo32
I have C1 and also have had problems with C1's DNS Server. I now use Google DNS at 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 I live in Rio Rancho, NM, and browsing seems to be much faster now.

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

1 edit

rugo32

The poor service at a premium price is not even the worst part.

Cable One would not survive if it had to co-exist with another service provider...Since they act like it...infuriates me to the point..where I end this post...

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: The poor service at a premium price is not even the worst part.

In my area, they are doing find with 2 other ISPs...I presume they are in other regions.

rando141
@cableone.net

rando141 to rugo32

Anon

to rugo32
Sorry your experience is so crap I have it in the north west, and am quite happy with my 60/3 service from them. I somewhat miss comedy central, but can stream it online. Here the other option bandwidth option is centurylink, and as they have lower caps it is not a good option. Heck, I even like having two tivo Qs. I've in the past used comcast (far and away the worst due to bandwidth restrictions requiring me to go with business class service, then they tried to charge an early termination fee etc), time warner (awful in NY, good a decade later in the midwest), and cox (just, fine.) Cable one is perfectly acceptable to me from all of my experiences, and is preferable over cox and comcast. Eventually we'll all be on fiber, but until then. I still vote for cable one over the non fiber dsl options....

keithbribac3
join:2005-08-11
Springfield, PA

keithbribac3

cable modem reboot due to t4 timeout

I've had this problem since moving into my apartment on Dec 2013. Tech said that the problem is the lines outside the apartment complex. Here's my results

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 85 86 87 88
Frequency 543000000 Hz 549000000 Hz 555000000 Hz 561000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
-1 dBmV 0 dBmV 0 dBmV 1 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 35000000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 1857
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 41 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success
Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 85 86 87 88
Total Unerrored Codewords 11422181 10340667 10348853 10357127
Total Correctable Codewords 4 0 0 1
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 775 662 659 567

•••
System

Anon

[NEWS] Viacom Blocks CableOne Broadband Customers From Online Content

»Viacom Blocks CableOne Broadband Customers From Online Content [28] comments - posted on the home page

BMC64
@67.60.120.x

BMC64

Anon

Crap signal

I have been on Cable One's 50 mbps plan for about a month now, and my connection is absolute garbage. My downstream power level at one point today was -20dbmv and SNR was 28. The internet shuts down completely for hours at a time once or twice a week. I called tech support and the guy I spoke with told me that the low downstream should not affect my connection. Really? Having a super weak signal outside of my modem's handling range is not a problem? He informed me that my neighbors had been complaining as well. What he mentioned is that there seemed to be a problem on the upstream side with noise. That would explain the 100% packet loss I get at times when I do certain tests. It would also explain why gaming is impossible, which is the main reason I switched to cable. Besides Cable One, the only other option I have for internet is AT&T, which is only 1.5 mbps down/0.5 up. I'm seriously thinking about going back with AT&T. Even though it's crap, it's consistent crap. Sorry for the rant, but this would be a good place to vent.

••••••
John Patrick
Sioux City, IA
·Sparklight

John Patrick

Digital TV

Seems Cable One is going to make the switch to all digital tv that require digital boxes in Sioux City, Iowa soon. »www.cableone.net/alldigi ··· ult.aspx From what I have read only giving two free digital box per house. Will suck I have 5 TV's and 2 computers running windows media center all running great now with this change will be required to rent 3 more digital boxes and 2 cable cards. Will have to compare the cost with switching to satellite.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Re: Digital TV

said by John Patrick:

From what I have read only giving two free digital box per house.

The 'free' boxes won't last long.

When Comcast forced everyone to rent digital boxes a while ago, they started off by allowing each customer a couple of boxes for free every month. However, now they charge a monthly fee for each box that you have.

Trapper
@96.19.55.x

Trapper

Anon

Unethical Sales & Marketing

Click for full size
Slow...
Click for full size
Also Slow...
I recently moved to Mississippi and switched to CableOne. On paper, the company seemed legitimate and had attractive internet speeds. Coming from Austin, TX maybe my standards are too high?

Anyways,

I opted for the 70 mbps broadband internet only to realize that there was an over-utilization issue not being addressed properly in the area. Apparently they sold the service to too many people and can't keep up with the promised speeds. See attached. Does it look like I'm getting 50-70 mbps? Heck no...I'm getting slower than DSL speeds. How is this even legal?

"We're fixing it.", they said. Frankly, I'm not worried about a month from now...I'm worried about CableOne's business and marketing practices. How dare they oversell a product that isn't even close to what's advertised? I bought all my own equipment and cancelled AT&T U-Verse for this BS? Awesome...

What is wrong with Cable companies? The government gives them all kinds of tax breaks, subsidies, etc. and they squander it. No wonder our country's infrastructure is so far behind.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Re: Unethical Sales & Marketing

Ah, before you start flying off the handle about cable companies, I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Also is this test with a ISP modem or ISP modem and a external router? Wired or wireless. Wired speed testing is only preferred for accurate results.

I have the 50/3 package and I do get it with my SB 6180 modem and external router!!!

rugo32
Moorhead, MN

rugo32

Promoting Cable One from adhoc forum status.

Cable One has a national presence (11th largest) and because of that worthy of a main forum section here, up from it's current adhoc status.

•••••
rugo32

rugo32

Motorola SB6141 "DHCP Enabled"..?

does anybody know exactly the meaning of the Motorola SB 6141 configuration page statement (192.168.100.1) because neither Cable One or Motorola support could answer that question:
"DHCP Server Enabled
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range ".

Having a router on my network, I am not sure whether or not that I should assign IPs outside the pool...or does that only simply imply to internet connections that don't have a router connected to a pc? anybody know this?

•••••••••••••••••••••••
garrettgee
join:2013-08-12
Cleveland, MS

garrettgee

Packet Loss and latency in Central Mississippi

I recently started to experience packet loss (sometimes as high as 12%) is Cleveland, MS. I have a dead gateway detection program that pings the cableone gateway (not modem) and reports statistics including ping time and packet loss. I have checked cable connections, and the connection from modem only has one split between it and the main cable line. Has anyone else in this area (cleveland, clarksdale, and the like) experienced packet loss or lost connection? Thanks.

P.S. Cable One says that haven't noticed any issues, but said they would keep an eye on it.

••••••••

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

hmm noticed that Cable One is slowly making progress towards upgrades

I noticed that Cable One is starting to add channels in areas that they rebuilt last year and in 2012 lately.

Hmm I am still wondering if Cable One is upgrading all systems to at least 750MHz? I noticed on one of the FCC databases that a few systems have gone from 550MHz to 750MHz:
Gulfport MS
Bartlesville OK
Rio Rancho NM
Dyersburg TN?

650MHz???:
Duncan OK

625MHz???:
Ponca City OK

now some of the data that mentioned this has been taken off of the database for now so it might not show up again but it was showing that Ponca City was using MPEG4 in 2013 for some reason which was interesting.

••••••••••••

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

CableOne claims to be more reliable than DSL

I called CableOne to cancel a recent order for new CableTV service and was asked if I was interested in their internet service instead.

Currently, I have 40Mbps down/20Mbps up DSL and I told the representative that I would consider switching over if they could offer a similar a upload speed. Of course, the highest upload speed they offer is a pathetic 5Mbps.

When I declined their offer, the rep then advised me that they were more reliable than DSL! I didn't inquire as to what data was used to make this claim. But, seriously, it just sounds like they are pretty desperate for customers.

Interestingly, they did not make any effort to retain me as a Cable TV customer.

•••••••••••
Idahospud
join:2013-06-11
Boise, ID

Idahospud

Cable one just died in my area for 2 and a half hours.

no cable, no telephone, no internet... for 2 hours during peak hours. Called cable one and all they would say that there was a widespread complete outage in my area. Is there a way to find out what happened that caused it? I wish internet would be regulated like a utility because things like this won't happen.
John Patrick
Sioux City, IA
·Sparklight

John Patrick

Re: Cable one just died in my area for 2 and a half hours.

Even if they where like a utility how is any regulation going to make repairs faster? If a car took out a utility pole it takes time to roll a truck and repair the line. Any electric utility is in the same boat think of the last couple hard winters or ice storms easy to knock out power and cable with exposed lines. I've seen electric company's take days to restore power to a whole town. In my opinion 2.5 hours is a fast repair.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Idahospud

to Idahospud
Hmm didn't notice it in my area of Boise however I wasn't online last nite. Even though 2.5 hours is a bit long for an outage, there my have been some extraneous circumstances causing the delayed outage. This doesn't happen often. I actually can't remember the last outage save for the fires of last year that knocked out our power on the east side for a couple of hours. C1 has been good and done a good job to get service going quickly if theres an outage. Regulation won't do anything. Even though ISP should be like a utility, Idaho Power has outages as well. We were with out power for several hours a few months ago and they are regulated. it wouldn't be any different in that regard.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 ... 27 · 28 · 29 · next