dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Metrocast Communications - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.

anon4387278

@216.36.7.x

St. Mary's County--internet fees going up

I'm assuming that some more speed increases are in the works as the basic internet tier is going up $3 per month starting January 1st, and all tiers above that are going up $2 per month.

Source: »www.thebaynet.com/articles/1014/···ain.html

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT

Re: St. Mary's County--internet fees going up

I wish I could buy just the channels I watch. I don't watch anything below 400 as I don't do SD. I would cut the video cable if it was up to me as I am sure I could cobble together what I need from the internet but the SA factor is very low on that option.

Spousal Approval factor

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Re: St. Mary's County--internet fees going up

I use DirecTv, lesser of two evils there.

twoDucks

@24.153.63.x
I can see why video would go because of higher fees, but why internet? The cost of delivery per MB has dropped significantly over the years ...and they are raising the price? Greed.
mangurian

join:2006-09-02
East Lyme, CT

homepage website

Is there a way to recover or reset my homepage password?
I forgot mine.

twoDucks

@24.153.63.x

Re: homepage website

re-enter your billing info

Syclone

@167.236.220.x

Bennettsville, SC - Metrocast = WORST

This service just keeps getting worse and worse. Sometime after 5 PM speeds start dropping, by 6:00 PM no streaming video is watchable - not even Youtube @ 240P. 0.5 to 0.7 mb/s D/L speeds when I pay for a 10 MB/S connection ($60+/mnth). Over the past two years it has gotten worse and worse till now it is unusable at night - Ironically, when I am home to actually use it. I am now getting 180-200 MS pings at best when I try to game. I can hotspot my phone and get 80 -100 MS.

In the morning and during lunch - no problem (sometimes showing 20 mb/s down)....Very Very FRUSTRATING.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: Bennettsville, SC - Metrocast = WORST

Sounds like typical congestion that needs to be addressed.

Syclone

@8.19.13.x

Yep - the problem is getting them to actually do something about it - as it is in a small town of only 10,000 people.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Keep on it. I have that problem about once a year. When you are having the issue call them when you are connected directly to the modem without a router. They should put your modem on a watch for 24-48 hours so they can see the issues. I would call once or twice a week during the times the slowdown is occurring.

Edit-My town is only about 6000 people.
jcantara

join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH
Yep, I'm about to embark on the same task. Really terrible speeds during the evenings now. It takes some work, some steady calls, but Metrocast usually makes things right in the end.

And just think of how many other people in your area that you're helping, by being the poor bastard who handles it.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

First call went nowhere. Second call got a little farther, but the congestion cleared up temporarily and the tech decided the problem was solved. Third call I got a tech who asked me to email them some traceroutes.

I pulled a few return path traceroutes while we were on the phone and emailed them over. They all showed serious congestion on Metrocast's link with Cogent. Hopefully they wind up in the hands of the right person who can adjust the routing, or increase the capacity of the link.

If things aren't better by this time next week, I'll make another call.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Pretty much what you have to do. If the yearly speed upgrades hold true, once they go into effect in January you will see me posting about the exact same thing. It's like clockwork in my area. Speed upgrades hit, congestion starts, go round and round with Metrocast to get them admit there is a problem.

Anon 538338

@70.193.7.x
Try it now and let us know your speeds.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

I've been posting updates in the other thread: »Speed Increase
jcantara

Tilton, NH

1 edit
I think my previous post was deleted because it contained a link to another thread...

I've been posting updates in another thread in this same forum, titled: Speed Increase. It should be right at the top of the current threads if you click the forum name at the top of this page.

Anon 538338

@65.175.128.x
I was asking the Bennettsville user to post updated speed results.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

I see. The forum said you were replying to me, so I took that to mean you wanted my information.

Anon 538338

@65.175.128.x

Yeah, sorry about that, its what you get replying off a phone.

Rtomo

@24.245.111.x

Speed Increase

Did a speedtest and noticed my download speeds were faster then the usual 50Mb/s. No change in upload tho.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

Re: Speed Increase

Yep, I've been seeing those speeds since yesterday evening...

75 down is great, but man, if we don't get any increase in upload speed that's going to be a huge disappointment.

Rtomo

@24.245.111.x

Agreed.
avolation

join:2012-07-28
Maben, MS
Well shoot!

Just did a speedtest here in Mississippi and still got 50/5. Called metrocast earlier today and they answered the phone with "Thank you for calling Maxed Out formally Metrocast"

I guess the MS/AL transition is done as of yesterday and I no longer belong here.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

Sorry to hear that.

Although, "Maxed Out" is definitely how you could describe Metrocast's uplinks at this point. My speed test in the middle of the day got me close to 78Mbps like you see above. The one I just ran right now (7:30pm local time) pulled down 22Mbps.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
Just rebooted my modem and same speed. I am on the Plainfield/Putnam end of the CT system.

Funny a speed of 77 is only a B 25% of users have a faster speed.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Same here.
NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH
Rebooted my SB6183 multiple times tonight, however this the best I can get:

Even tried speedtest.metrocast.net and speedcheck.metrocast.net

Hoping they'll "silently upgrade" my area soon.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
Rtomo, where are you? I'm in CT and I'm still getting 50/5...

Rtomo

@24.245.111.x

PA

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT

Well I hope this is a preview of speeds we'll all get soon...

koan00

@24.245.97.x
Just got my bill and fee increase notice. On the fee notice, it confirms the new speed grade is 75/5.

•••••••••

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
I think it is the 5 he is not happy with.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

said by billh491:

I think it is the 5 he is not happy with.

That's correct. 75Mbps down is fine and dandy. 5Mbps up is absolutely pathetic.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
I'd like more, but I don't think I'd characterize it as pathetic.

It would be nice to have higher upload speeds, but like most people, download is far more important to me.

Do Metrocast's business plans have higher upload speeds? I imagine they're quite a bit more expensive.
avolation

join:2012-07-28
Maben, MS

said by nelamvr6:

Do Metrocast's business plans have higher upload speeds? I imagine they're quite a bit more expensive.

»www.metrocastbusiness.com/busine···ages.cfm

60/6 for $350 :x
jcantara

Tilton, NH
said by nelamvr6:

I'd like more, but I don't think I'd characterize it as pathetic.

It would be nice to have higher upload speeds, but like most people, download is far more important to me.

Sure, download is what I use more often. But the bump from 50 to 75 doesn't save me a lot of time. A 10 gig file is going to download a couple minutes quicker. I always want that, and I'm glad to get more, but think about this:

When I need to do cloud backups or when my wife wants to upload a 1080p video to YouTube/Facebook, 5Mbps means we're waiting HOURS to accomplish those tasks. Even bumping that 5 to 10 would mean cutting that in half, for a gain of only 5Mbps, versus the extra 25Mbps they gave us in download.

Why not 70/10? The missing 5 download Mbps would be negligible, but the added speed of the upload would be instantly appreciated by anyone who does anything cloud-related these days.

For reference, Comcast's similarly priced plans have either 10Mbps or 20Mbps, depending if you want to pay slightly less than we do, or slightly more.
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH
jcantara, did you get the speed bump in your area yet?

••••
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Called again while experiencing some major slowdown. Spoke to the same helpful tech as last week, and he scheduled a service call. I was able to get an appointment for 5pm to 8pm, which is great, since there will actually be some congestion going on when he arrives.

I am absolutely certain that it's not a local line issue, but having the tech come out and proclaim that there are no problems with my line or modems or splitters will be helpful in getting the issue escalated.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

9:30 in the AM. Absolutely perfect speed test. The download speed graph looks like a plateau. Takes just a second to hit 75+Mbps and stays there the entire time until the end. By comparison, here's a test from 8PM last night:

Interestingly, last night Metrocast's own speedtest server ( »speedtest.metrocast.net ) was also showing me really terrible speeds, which means the problem might be internal, rather than one of their links to the Internet at large. Or maybe it's both!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

The low test on their speed test is a good telling sign that it is an internal issue. Maybe a border router.
jcantara

Tilton, NH

1 edit

Yeah, it was strange though. I was getting markedly higher speeds from public speedtest.net servers at some points. And the internal speed test had always come back really fast during all my prior testing.

Whatever the problem is, I hope I can help them locate it and resolve it.

Just did another test, just before 2:30pm. This is what I call a perfect speed test. 77+Mbps the whole time.
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Click for full size
Okay, this is too funny not to share. I just made an Ookla account and had it pull in all my old tests from multiple browsers and PCs.

The jagged lines on the left start at last year's speed increase, with the low speeds being in the evening, and the 50Mbps ones being during the daytime.

The long flat period (right at 50Mbps) lasts from February through November (this year's speed increase).

Then the jagged lines start again. With the low speeds being in the evening and the high speeds being during the day.

I don't know how much plainer I could make this. I wish there was a way to get this graph to someone at Metrocast who would be able to take charge of the situation and save me from more phone calls and service visits.
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Sigh...

jcantara

Tilton, NH
Click for full size
Here is a graph of just today's speeds. The first one is at 9:30AM. It starts to drop a bit at 4PM, then the last two are at 7PM and 8PM.
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Click for full size
Well, would you look at that! 9AM again here and speeds are right back up to perfect.
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH

That is very strange jcantara...hoping they can get to the root of the issue. I just spoke with an extremely nice gentleman over the chat line (they're support has always been phenomenal!), and after he reset my modem I now have the upgraded "testing" speeds (thought I was told it couldn't be guaranteed - glad my modem is plugged into a UPS - hope it never get's reset!). Will post a speed test momentarily.
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH
First test...

Second test...

I strongly recommend to anyone on Metrocast getting the new Motorola SB6183 (if you can find them for a decent price - I waited months for mine from Amazon).

Paid $129.99 for mine, but I see they've gone up a little bit due to the demand...

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-Su···s=sb6183

•••••••••••••••

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
Click for full size
There is upstream bonding in CT

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Yup, I am an idiot. I was always looking at the wrong light on the modem!
jcantara

Tilton, NH
It's another typical Sunday night here.

jcantara

Tilton, NH
So, I just called and reported the low speeds and the tech refreshed both my modems, just to see if that would help (it didn't) but then this happened:

Like I said earlier, I've never seen anything higher than 6.05 before, and now I'm getting 8.55? Maybe they are doing a slight bump to upload speeds this year? Or maybe they're just testing it? Either way, it's a small silver lining to the massive rain cloud that is single-digit download speeds.