dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Metrocast Communications - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · next

koan00

@metrocast.net

50 Mbit service fluke?

I have tried multiple speed test servers this morning, and the results are the same:

Something wrong with speedtest.net or are they testing new service levels?
jcantara

join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH

3 edits

Re: 50 Mbit service fluke?

I hate to say it, but I'd welcome a total buyout by Comcast. With Metrocast, I'm paying for 35Mbps and absolutely getting that 35Mbps on a regular basis. But I'm also paying $75 a month for it.

If I were with Comcast, I could pay $115 a month for 105Mbps, and even if they were only giving me HALF of that rated speed, it's just about the same value*. Plus, odds are that even on a bad day, you're going to get higher than half of the rated speed.

And hell, this doesn't even take into account the down right unacceptably horrible 2Mbps upstream speed that Metrocast has even on their premium package. Even Comcast's low tier offers 4Mbps upload speeds. The $115 package has upload speeds a full 10 times higher, at 20Mbps.

*Bonus Math Proof:
35Mbps at $75 = $2.14 per Mbps.
50% of 105 at $115 = $2.19 per Mbps.
quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

said by jcantara:

And hell, this doesn't even take into account the down right unacceptably horrible 2Mbps upstream speed that Metrocast has even on their premium package. Even Comcast's low tier offers 4Mbps upload speeds. The $115 package has upload speeds a full 10 times higher, at 20Mbps.

I was thinking the same. I've exchanged speed tests with a few friends, and Metrocast's upload rate is by far the most anemic compared with Charter, Comcast, Verizon, etc.
Robtomo

join:2013-02-25
Shavertown, PA

What was the outcome of speed increase? Were the lines bought by Comcast or is Metrocast increasing speeds?

koan00

@metrocast.net

I have no idea. At this time the speed is still there...even up to 80 Mbps at times. I have to test on a real download though. They may always just be testing with short speed boost like comcasts powerboost.
lakeguy

join:2012-02-02
New Durham, NH

Email blacklist problems in NH

Metrocast seems to have a recurring problem being listed on email blacklists (at least here in NH). With increasing frequency, I am having emails rejected by other servers, with the error reported as emails not being allowed from the metrocast domain.

Anyone else experiencing this,and found a solution (other than changing email address which I'd rather not do)
petetriax

join:2009-03-24
Putnam, CT

Re: Email blacklist problems in NH

My work here in CT has Metrocast on the blacklist. Have to use my gmail to send emails in. Really is unacceptable that this can't be corrected quickly.
lakeguy

join:2012-02-02
New Durham, NH

It's getting better... NOT!

At least before I would get a kickback telling me the attempted send did not work. I now have verified that several messages I sent early last week, to several different domains, were never received, and I never got any type of error.

I'm glad I only use this email for personal, non-critical use!

Time to find a new ISP
jcantara

Tilton, NH

If you're going to switch ISPs, take the opportunity to decouple your personal email address from your choice of internet provider. That way, you won't have to face this situation again in the future.
avolation

join:2012-07-28
Maben, MS

Metrocast going down daily for months in maben/starkville MS, anyone else?

my cable has went down DAILY at 12:00-12:30, EVERY single day for two months. It doesn't come back up for about an hour, and even then it requires a modem reboot to get a connection after it's back up (which usually doesn't happen until I get home).

I do a decent amount of streaming from my home computer (about 20 gigs a month) while I'm away during the day. But this right here is just killing any chance of me doing this anymore.

Anyone else around the area having problems? Would like to know if purchasing a new modem will possibly fix the issue or if it's the ISP. I'm never in a position to call when it happens due to work. But it can be counted on sure as the sun will rise each day.
avolation

Maben, MS

Metrocast finally getting competition in MS.

So, starkville,ms pretty much has ATT dsl at 6mbps or metrocast cable at 35.

»www.clarionledger.com/article/20···ce-today

Cspire is potentially building out 1gbps fiber in starkville, which is one of two area's metrocast serve in MS. Will they do anything to compete?
jcantara

Tilton, NH

Re: Metrocast finally getting competition in MS.

"1 Gbps Internet access will be available for $80 a month"

Wow. That's awesome. I'm incredibly jealous. Metrocast's highest tier package is $75 a month for 35/2 Mbps.

$5 more per month gets you an additional 965 Mbps download and an additional 998 Mbps download. How is that even a choice?!

anon87385738

@metrocast.net

speed increases?

So any speed increases slated? It's usually this time of the year that Metrocast bumps up the speed a bit...I haven't heard anything about this year though...

Chick

join:2000-12-27
Waterford, CT

Re: speed increases?

Just the annual price increase so far!
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Yeah, they usually announce the increase around now, and give it the somewhat weasly description of "coming early next year" which lets them roll it out in bits and pieces across their system.

I really want to see a premium plan of something at least 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I don't care if it costs $100/month, I'm just sick of being able to upload stuff to YouTube and Dropbox faster by tethering to my 4G phone.
avolation

Maben, MS

1 edit
Well, they've upgraded to docsis3, they regularly bond 8 down and 3 up (channels, in my area), the only thing preventing them from upgrading speeds tremendously is them paying for the bandwidth and bandwidth is cheap.

I'm hoping the fact that cspire is going to bring fiber to my town in mississippi soon lights a fire under their ass. pardon the french.
avolation

Maben, MS

For any of you with metrocast in Starkville,MS that want faster speed...

»www.cspire.com/fiberhome/fiber_c···state=MS

pre-register for cspire. 1gbps internet is not far away.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

Hmm

Is it me or is Metrocast the only ISP that does not carry ESPN3?
avolation

Maben, MS

1 edit

speed increases

As of 1 hour ago (time of this post) my internet in starkville was boosted from 35/2 to 50/5. Not a word from metrocast, but I can deal with it.

*edit* crap, this was meant to be a reply to the other thread.
»www.speedtest.net/result/3160012201.png
NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

1 edit

Re: speed increases

That's awesome! Did you power cycle your modem?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Imagine that! Cspire starts to build fiber and your speeds go up. go figure.
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Yeah, I wonder if these speeds are going to roll out to anywhere else or if they're going to be a "special rate" for people who just happen to live in an area where Metrocast isn't given a monopoly.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Well I can tell you they are here in northern CT! Just rebooted my router and modem and I am seeing 51-53 down and up to 4.5 up. Upload varies though....

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/674197172
avolation

Maben, MS
I checked with another metrocast user that lives 5 miles away (still outside starkville) and he has the speed increases too. I have posted in r/mississippi on reddit and it appears those inside city limits are still at 35/2, I can only imagine they are doing it node at a time. Maybe in the next week more people inside city limits will see faster speeds.
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Just rebooted my modem and I'm seeing the 50 down, but like ptrowski said, the upstream is all over the place, and not really showing anything faster than the 2Mbps I've had. Edit: Just tested again and got 5.00Mbps upload!

NetworkNH

Northwood, NH
Just rebooted my modem and was pleasantly surprised with this:

avolation

Maben, MS
Jcantara, networknh. were you two both at 35/2 before today? Can we assume this is the year upgrade? I know, assumptions. ;P
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH

Yes I was, and I'm pretty sure it is. They did this a few years back (silently upgraded everyone before January 1st) - more than likely to gauge NODE saturation on the network before fully implementing the upgrade by forcefully rebooting everyone's modem.
avolation

Maben, MS

This is quite certainly a nice boost. I live practically off in the country(but near starkville). I would have no hope of getting cspires fiber. Without metrocast I would be stuck on 3mbps down, 512kbps up dsl from AT&T.

I upload a good many youtube videos so this boost in upload speed is certainly welcome.
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH
Most definitely! I couldn't agree more!
jcantara

Tilton, NH
Echoing what NetworkNH said: Previously on the 35/2 plan.

As for speeds, I'm always glad when they upgrade and never want to seem dismissive of them, but at the same time 5Mbps upload is still pretty low when talking about competitors in the area. And by "in the area" I mean Comcast is literally serving houses a few streets down from mine.

I still think they need to offer a tier above this one. Bandwidth is the only thing I'm paying a monthly bill for anymore, in terms of entertainment services. I cancelled TV years ago, and that's $60+ a month that Metrocast used to get from me but doesn't anymore. I'd absolutely consider giving them $100/month for a faster package, but they don't seem to want to offer one.

•••••

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
Thanks for the heads up just rebooted and getting 52 down the up was in the 3's but that was just the first test maybe it will get better.
Robtomo

join:2013-02-25
Shavertown, PA

Just checked as well getting 52 down, but only 2.5 up. Hopefully the upload gets adjusted soon, was looking forward to having more.

anon495837

@metrocast.net

Is it only the Ultra Tier that is going to get a speed increase?

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
Alright! I'm in New London. I just rebooted my modem and router, and now I get these speeds:

Way to go Metrocast! Thanks!

anon587638

@metrocast.net

Are the speed increases just for the ultra package???
jcantara

Tilton, NH
We won't know until they actually announce the upgrades, which should probably be sometime soon.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
What modem is everyone using? Would be good to list those as well. I am using a SB6120.
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH

Good call ptrowski. I'm using a brand new "White" Motorola SB6141 with 5 Channel DS (Downstream) and 2 Channel US (Upstream) bonding.
jcantara

Tilton, NH
said by ptrowski:

I am using a SB6120.

Same here. Seems like it supports 4 channels down and 4 up, but I'm only seeing bonding on the downstream. Upstream is just a single channel.

According to the spec sheet, the 6120 maxes out at 171Mbps, which means that if I remain in Metrocast territory, it will probably last a very long time.
avolation

Maben, MS
Black SBG6580, 8 down and 3 up since I activated with metrocast.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
I'm using a Motorola SB6180.

N3CAL
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

Wow! UPS just delivered my new Netgear R6300v2 router which I just hooked up to my SB6141. I did not know Metrocast had increased the speeds. I was pretty surprised. My first speedtest was:

Looks like Mayrland is up and running as well!

I've got 6 bonded down and 2 bonded up.....

koan00

@metrocast.net
Another MD checking with SB 6121..

Of course, yesterday I was only hitting 15MBps down the system was so over loaded at prime time.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
SB6121 here as well.

jrobert69
How High?
Premium
join:2001-05-19
Rochester, NH
»www.speedtest.net/result/3172865930.png
--
Spring at last

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
Is it just me but my upload is 3.79 never get in to the 4's

••••
NetworkNH

Northwood, NH
I've noticed the same as well, and wonder why some people have gotten into the high 4's?

SoMDUser

@metrocast.net

I wonder why Metrocast doesn't do this anywhere else.

I live in southern Maryland, Lexington Park to be precise and we are a booming area with a naval base and I just don't get why my 131.35 a month gets me only basic cable, 7mb down, and 1.5 up... I am not even worried about download speeds but as a streamer 1.5-2 mbps is pathetic and I think it is downright criminal that they provide speeds over 180% lower than comparable packages not 15 minutes away purely because they hold a monopoly on the area. Isn't there something the better business bureau can do about this sorta stuff... I should check. Does anyone have any suggestions for a full time streamer in my position?

•••

Jeff G

join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

Appears router not up to snuff

Ok guys looking for router recommendation. My current trendnet appears to not handle the new speed. ~50 direct to modem. ~35 same hard wire connection. So what routers are you guys using with good experiences???

••••••••••••••••

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Usage Meter

Have you seen this?

»portal.metrocast.net/usagemeter/

1. It says I have 250GB but I'm an ultra subscriber, which I thought meant 350.
2. Either way I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Just thought it was interesting.

•••••••••••
jslowik

join:2009-08-04

No More MLB Network?!

So, while I'm happy Metrocast brought in FXX-HD and Spike-HD, did it really have to be at the expense of MLB Network in Connecticut? Its one of my most watched channels, and with spring training right around the corner, I'm having withdrawals. Any other baseball fans here as upset as I am?

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Re: No More MLB Network?!

No FXX -HD here in NH, and they dropped MLBN here also. Sports are by far the biggest contribution to the monthly fee...and what's funny is that the network gets dropped but we still have the same price.
I have MLB.TV so I'm covered but still it is frustrating; I find it hard to believe this channel is more expensive than NFL Network...
pogona

join:2009-01-17
Kennebunk, ME

Guy with a petition in Sanford Maine

So..... I went to Walmart to stop and get milk on my way home. There was a guy standing outside with a hand full of flyers and a petition. He asked if I was a Sanford resident as he was handing me a flyer. I told him that I was not a Sanford resident and he pulled the flyer back. I stopped and asked what he was doing. He explained to me that he is asking for signatures for a petition to get the Sanford City franchising authority to allow a new, more competitive cable company. The flyer he had, listed the prices of Metrocast as well as comparable prices of other providers. I was quite curious why he was doing this. He quickly said that he was tired of the bad service and ever increasing prices. I wished him luck with his goal and it looked like he was doing quite well with signatures. I am not sure how that works........

Jeff G

Dayville, CT

(Ot) pc3200 2x1gb

Hey guys I know this is off topic but figured maybe of you local geeky types like myself maybe be able to help. Building a pay it forward pc and have everything I need but some ram anybody 2 sticks of 1 gig pc3200 laying around I could take off you hands quickly? Thanks jeffgrocki@yahoo.com I am in east killingly and could come to you

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT

Re: (Ot) pc3200 2x1gb

For some reason I have tons of pc4200 512 sticks no 1gig sorry

Jeff G

Dayville, CT

Re: (Ot) pc3200 2x1gb

Thanks for looking Bill
avolation

Maben, MS

Didn't take long for my excitement over upgraded speeds to fade.

»stopthecap.com/2014/01/30/time-w···akeover/

Time warner are about to upgrade their speeds majorly (if they don't get bought out)

Basic - Currently 3/1Mbps – New 10/1Mbps
Standard - Currently 15/1Mbps – New 50/5Mbps
Turbo - Currently 20/2Mbps – New 100/10Mbps
Extreme – Currently 30/5Mbps – New 200/20Mbps
Ultimate - Currently 50/5Mbps – New 300/20Mbps

Psst, incase you are just skimming the post, This isn't metrocast, this is time warner speed upgrades.

They still make me salivate.

••••••
southpaw6166

join:2014-02-03

Usage not updating

Has anyone else noticed their usage not updating? I realize it isn't real time but mine hasn't changed since 10 pm last Friday.
avolation

Maben, MS

Re: Usage not updating

It's bugged for plenty of people in a myriad of different ways. Mine updates almost instantly. But it resets every day or so. Yesterday I was at 23 gigs (for one day), today I'm at 5.1(just for today)

My previous 3 months show 347gb for november, 27gb for december, and 246gb for january. I'm fairly certain I've used more than 400gb each month... Usually beating the 350gb cap on my main/work PC alone each month.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT

Need more HD channels!

I have to give kudos to Metrocast for the speed increases. You've done well, and thanks!

But now, I have to remind you that we need more HD channels!

I'd especially like to see BBC America in HD!

Are there any plans to bring us more HD?

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT

Re: Need more HD channels!

I agree I have been with metrocast for 25 years and I prefer to stay but I can also get charter while I am sure I would not get the level of tech support I would get faster speed and more hd and for the first year lower prices.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Since some trees started growing in my Directv signal was dropping last year so we went back to Metrocast for TV. All I can say is that we spent $1800 to take down the tree and will be calling Directv back. The guide with Metrocast is laggy and poor, the DVR cuts off the very end of shows that we record, and their HD selection is horrible.
I love the internet portion of Metrocast but their TV offerings are severely lacking.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org
avolation

Maben, MS

Upload speed seems to have been downgraded to 3mbps in MS.

So yeh, steady 3.3mbps everywhere (every server on speedtest), even during primetime when I've had a steady 5mbps here in MS since the upgrade. Is anyone else seeing this?

Also, for the last 7 days my connection has been awful to EVERY server on speedtest.net (below 15mbps down) except for the very closest one.

Would like some others to throw in some number if they could.

•••••
quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

IPV6 Support?

Does Metrocast support IPV6? It appears I can't ping an IPV6 only address and wondering if it's something on my end, or just not supported by Metrocast.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT

Re: IPV6 Support?

While not an expert but my understanding is all points would need to support it so my guess is MC does not.
jslowik

join:2009-08-04

2 edits

Okay First the MLB Network..now the YES Network?

I was watching Fox Sports tonight and saw an alert that on April 1, Metrocast may be removing YES from their lineup. It's bad enough that they already removed the MLB Network, but as a Yankees fan, if they now remove the YES network, I'll be done w/ Metrocast. I don't know if I'll go DirectTV or cordless, but as a major baseball fan, my baseball availability is KEY in my choices for cable.

So please Metrocast , if any of you are monitoring here, get yourself together, or I'm out.

Edit:// Apparently Viacom channels are being lost too. According to »keepviacom.com/ at least.

Edit2:// Looks like they made a deal w/ Viacom but not YES

••••••••••••••••••••••