dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
Metrocast Communications - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 ... 53 · 54 · 55 · next
mangurian
join:2006-09-02
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

How do I connect a router

On the old forum, someone posted instructions for installing a wireless router to work with myeastern/metrocast.

The order of power-up was one key item. Can someone repost that info ?

I am about to install a d-link 11g wireless (mainly as a firewall).

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491

Re: How do I connect a router

Very easy steps. First turn off everything computer modem and router.

Put the router in line between your computer and modem. Then turn on the modem wait for all for lights to sync. Plug in the router then turn on your computer.

The modem will wake up and see your router instead of your computer and allow your router to pull an IP address. When your computer starts up it will pull an IP from your router.

If this is your first wireless router be aware that the default setup will have you running a wide open hot spot that anyone can get on. Not a bad thing if you live a mile in the woods but if you live close to a lot of people they can all get on your network. At best they steal your bandwidth and you surf a little slower at worst they break in to your computer or you get hit with a law suit from the RIAA because they downloaded the latest Britteny Spears album.

Never fear help is here. First thing you want to do is change the password to get in to your router. Next you want to change the name of the router or the SSID as it is called but don't give it a name that could id you. Next is to turn off UPnP this allows programs on your computer to open ports with out your knowing. And last but most important turn on WPA set a good password and the first time you try and use the wireless on your laptop it will ask you for the password and you will be all set.

If you want a good password it should have numbers and letters of both upper and lower case with a few symbols thrown in. Now if you are real nuts about it like me you can go to this site and generate a 63 digit password that all the computers in the world working full time could not crack. You will need to copy and paste it you will never remember it.

»www.grc.com/passwords.htm

And when you are all done head here to see if all your ports are stealth.

»www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Maybe more info then you wanted maybe not.
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

Exactly what I needed Re: How do I connect a router

Thanks for the excellent write-up.

It may be useful for CT.Metrocast to put it on the web site as a help.
rkrenicki
join:2002-04-10
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki to mangurian

to mangurian
Since routers are not technically supported by Metrocast (nor were they by Eastern), such instructions will likely not be posted on the website. Most routers include the required directions, which is simply connect it up, and restart the cable modem.

The only thing to note is that our system uses DHCP, so if the setup asks, select either "Automatic IP" or "DHCP", never use "Static IP".
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

any reason Metrocast needs to ping my router ?

My current setup will not allow my router to respond to pings.
is that ok ?
WAN Ping: Unchecking the box will not allow the WBR-2310
to respond to pings. Blocking the Ping may provide
some extra security from hackers. Check the box
to allow the WAN port to be “pinged”.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Re: any reason Metrocast needs to ping my router ?

I seem to remember remember odog turned off ping many months ago to fight worm activity.

IIRC you have no worries.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to mangurian

Premium Member

to mangurian
About the only time it would help is during troubleshooting. If you call tech support they can ping the router to see if it is "up" otherwise a blocked ping looks like a "down" router. It's not a big problem but it does make troubleshooting a little easier.

nelamvr6: We opened up ICMP about a year ago as the threat from virus activity had waned to the point where it was more beneficial to allow it.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Re: any reason Metrocast needs to ping my router ?

said by odog:

About the only time it would help is during troubleshooting. If you call tech support they can ping the router to see if it is "up" otherwise a blocked ping looks like a "down" router. It's not a big problem but it does make troubleshooting a little easier.

nelamvr6: We opened up ICMP about a year ago as the threat from virus activity had waned to the point where it was more beneficial to allow it.
Ah. Well I haven't really felt the need for quite some time.

Maybe I'll go do a ping test, just for old times sake!
nelamvr6

nelamvr6 to mangurian

Premium Member

to mangurian
Well, ping test seems to check out fine:

»/tweak ··· a=normal

Hitting on all 8 today. Way to go odog and Metrocast!
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

TWIT tv ?

Is anyone else here hooked on the netcasts ?
Leo Laporte (formerly Tech TV) runs TWIT.

"This Week In Tech" and "Security Now" are two of my favorites, but I subscribe to about 8 of them.

Which do you like ?

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491

Re: TWIT tv ?

I am one of the biggest Leo fans I have been watching him since he played Dev Null on MSNBC's the Site. Then ZDTV TechTV and on to TWIT.

If you liked Patrick Norton who I got to meet at Digital Life in NYC two weeks ago. He has his own net tv show at dl.tv

On top of that if you can not get enough Leo on the netcasts you can down load his call for help tv show from canada.

»cfhtracker.info/

»revision3.com/ For all ove kevin rose's stuff

»crankygeeks.com/ If you like John C Dvorak

Think this list should give you a good way of getting thech tv back.

Also »commandn.typepad.com/ for Ambers video cast.

You might remeber »www.thechrispirilloshow.com/ Chris Pirillo from Call for Help as well.

What I want to know is how Leo being a Geek got to work with all those great looking women!
eh_to_zed
join:2006-10-28
Uncasville, CT

eh_to_zed

Email lists/SMTP

Hi all,

I've been using a separate service to send emails to my subscriber list of over 500 people, but I'm wonddering if I could send those emails through myeastern/metrocast?

Is there a limit to the number of addresses I can put in an email? I'm familiar with the Can-Spam rules but I'm trying to save money by getting rid of my bulk email service.

Any thoughts?

Jason Pedley
mail@jasonpedley.com

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

Re: Email lists/SMTP

I wouldn't recommend it, our server is set to be very strict about how much and how quickly it allows mail through the server.

we have limits on max recips per email, bad address, mail per half hour, day, etc etc etc.. way to many settings to list.
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

software firewall slows speed tests ??

I bought a router, secured it, and then turned off my software firewall.

I have done some speakeasy tests where I am getting significantly higher speeds than before. I didn't do as well as some of you, but I got 3950 and 370 a few times. I will also try late at night when traffic slows down.

I didn't know that a SW firewall would slow transfers once the source site gained access. Anyway I am happy about that.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491

Re: software firewall slows speed tests ??

Welcome to the world of routers. Did you try the shields up at GRC.com? I have not used a software fire wall in years so I can not say how much they slow down your speed. I find a software firewall of no use unless you are trying to catch something going out but even then a smart spyware program will just turn off the firewall. So I stick with a router and windows firewall just in case my kid gets something on their computer.

As far as testing your speed forget about all the test sites here is how you do a real test.

go here and get netstat live a free program once installed and running right click on on it and go to configure and set to modem bits.

»www.analogx.com/contents ··· /nsl.htm

Then head to one of these two sites and start a download let it run for a minute and NetStat will give you a running average of the last minute that will give you your real speed. One is http the other is FTP which should be faster.

Oddly I could not log in to the ftp site don't know if it moved or is down but you get the idea find a big file like a Linux distro and down load it for a bit to see your speed then cancel it. Of coarse you need to find a site that is serving at full speed and not getting hammered by others.

»speedtest.rochester.rr.com/
»ftp://mirror.datapipe.net/gent ··· stallcd/
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

Shields Up

Came back with excellent grades and they could not see anything about my machine.

I am so close to the speed caps that I won't bother with getting more precise numbers.

thanks,

badbob
join:2006-09-04
Niantic, CT

badbob

Re: Shields Up

I use Zone Alarm for my software firewall. It has absolutely no effect on up/download speeds. I also use a hardware firewall with the same results. I am almost always maxed out on up/downloads.

lizm
@metrocast.net

lizm

Anon

How to sign up for email?

How do I sign up for a metrocast email address? I never created one during the myeastern time, so how would I do this now?

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

Re: How to sign up for email?

just call tech support and we can set you up with email.

Jeff G
join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

HD Count Down

Come on 11/1 !!! wooo hoooo LOL

OK now Owen and Rob when do we get ABC-HD??? heheheheh
Jeff G

Jeff G

Re: HD Count Down

someone push the button LOL Its 11/1

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog to Jeff G

Premium Member

to Jeff G
most of the changes happen ~8am and trickle thru the day.

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

hahahah Sorry Odog more then likley you can't tell I am a little excited hahahahahah
Jeff G

Jeff G

OK half way there I see the channel numbers. Now when do I get to wtach the channel?
GHodge
join:2002-02-27
Jewett City, CT

GHodge to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Must be having some difficulties...it's 7:15pm and nothing yet.
goddan
join:2001-01-15
Quaker Hill, CT

goddan to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Comedy Central - check
HDnet - missing in action

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

goddan are you getting any of the HD cnannels mine are showing in the line up but all I get is channle avail shortly.
goddan
Quaker Hill, CT

goddan

Yeah, I'm also getting that on all five of the new HD channels. From some of odog's prior posts, it sounds like new HD channels take a bit of tweaking to bring on line. So in the meantime, I guess I'll just watch Jon Stewart.

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

odog to Jeff G

Premium Member

to Jeff G
who likes.... 16 hour days?

I don't, and we're still not online.

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Owen if I may speak for all of us, or at least my self being maybe border line obnoxious we truly appreciate both your personal effort and the entire team at Metro!!!!!
GHodge
Jewett City, CT

GHodge to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Hopefully today will be the day.

Silly me...I thought all they were going to do was flip a switch and Voila!!
rkrenicki
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki to Jeff G

to Jeff G
HD channels are up and running.. as of right now the guide data still is not in place, and the new HBO and Cinemax channels are not up... but at least we got our HD!

•••••

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

I will second the sincere thanks you guys must have ran into some serious BS with all this extra effort!!!!

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

nelamvr6 to Jeff G

Premium Member

to Jeff G
Thanks for all your hard works guys, it is much appreciated!

I'm OTR in VA right now, so I can't enjoy the fruits of your labor, but it'll be nice when I do get home to have more HD goodness.
rkrenicki
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki

Was it you, nel, who goes away every time we make some major change?

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

1 edit

nelamvr6

Premium Member

said by rkrenicki:

Was it you, nel, who goes away every time we make some major change?
Yeah, but it's not on purpose, you guys don't give me your upgrade schedule in advance.

So odog, you get those guys in NH straightened out?

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

All good in Dayville and quick glance showed guide data this AM as well.
rkpetros
join:2003-06-03
Plainfield, CT

rkpetros to Jeff G

to Jeff G
All of you are lucky.....I just got home from work and tried to get to the new HD channels again. STILL no new channels. I just tried contacting Customer Service for the 10th time today. This time and every time that I've called today I've been on hold forever, and finally gave up. All I want is some answers as to why I'm not getting what I am paying for. I'm not at all happy since Metrocast took over; the customer service has went downhil. I've had problems with my Internet service also since they've "upgraded" it. I'm seriously thinking of going back to satellite.
rkrenicki
Quaker Hill, CT

1 edit

rkrenicki

Unfortunately with the hiccups we had during the transition, and the billing changes, the call volume has increased substantially, and we are plagued with busy signals, and long hold times.

If you want to PM me your account number, or address, I will take a look at your account, and see what we can get going for you.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

We have about 20 HD channels here in NH and cant complain

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

odog to Jeff G

Premium Member

to Jeff G
I think his boxes just need to be hit, I'm going to do that Monday when I get in... The snowy pic issues I think will need a truck roll. I'm going to see if I can get someone to check outside Monday, hopefully it can be fixed from there.
rkpetros
join:2003-06-03
Plainfield, CT

rkpetros to Jeff G

to Jeff G
Finally, after a week and about 30 phone calls, I got a hold of Customer Service. After a rude encounter with one person, I actually got a hold of a person who was pleasant; however, they still could not get my new HD channels working. They sent out a technician today. I thought all was great until I found that they've messed up my entire Home Theater System, which I recently just spent many days setting up. The digital output was disconnected for one thing. Now I just went to watch some shows that I recorded earlier on my DVD recorder, and found that they've disconnected the cable input to the recorder, so now I've recorded snow(and thus missed all of my shows). Also, now my internet connection is losing signal off and on all night. So now I can say that the customer service isn't the only thing that sucks at Metrocast. I can now get the new HD Channels, but they've messed up the rest of my system and my internet service is useless. The sooner I can get away from Metrocast and go back to DirecTV the better. I bet that if I didn't pay my bill they would remember how to disconnect my service! I've literally spent HOURS over the last 9 days trying to get this issue resolved, and now they've created an even bigger problem.

ultatryon1
@ultatryon.com

ultatryon1

Anon

As for your experience with the answering service, I do apologize for their tone, but they are just that, an answering service. They are not knowledgeable or authorized to release information, they are there to simply take calls, and forward them to the appropriate person.

And for your internet, I do not see the failure you are describing, as I stated in my reply to your review, your signal as of right now (about 12, midnight on Wednesday/Thursday), you are online and rocking an absolutely textbook signal.

We absolutely want to get this working for you to your satisfaction, and I am not sure if you realized, but Odog and myself, both work for MetroCast, and we are trying to get this rolling for you.
voipss
join:2004-09-12
Oakdale, CT

1 edit

voipss

cable modem dropping out

what's up with cable modem connection in eastern CT? It has dropped out several times since the heavy rain and wind last weekend (I just realized my phone wasn't working all this evening and had to reboot the modem to fix it).

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

odog

Premium Member

Re: cable modem dropping out

IM me your modem mac.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

Increase Upload

Does anyone know if there are any plans to increase the upload over 384?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

So too early to ask for ABC HD LOL

Sorry Odog and Rob could not pass LOL

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

Re: So too early to ask for ABC HD LOL

more than ABC.. I'd like to see UniversalHD, or some more premiums in HD.(Sho, Cinemax, Starz/Encore when we get it.)

Jeff G
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Hey I am guessing we are not at all fusy bring it all on whatever it is? Odog system wise anymore room or are we done till the rebuild?

Murph1
join:2005-09-02
New London, CT

Murph1

Why do you think...

Not that I'm complaining, but you've got to figure that Comcast courted Eastern in attempt to buy them out, yet Eastern went with Metrocast.

I assume it couldn't have been about just money, as I'm sure Comcast could pony up as much as anybody (if they were willing), so why Metrocast instead of Comcast? Again, not complaining, just wondering.
rkrenicki
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki

Re: Why do you think...

I cant speak authoritatively, but I like to think that it had something to do with the "family" atmosphere that MetroCast has (which is similar to what we had with Eastern), versus the faceless corporation of Comcast.

Not much has really changed in the day to day operations around here, where if comcast moved in, likely, none of us would still be here, this system would have been absorbed into the collective unconscious that is Comcast. Calls routed to New Haven or wherever, and their existing technicians and contractors taking over.

I think, of all the possibilities, this was the best possible outcome for the customers, and the employees. You get the same friendly faces, and upgraded services.. A Win-Win for everyone. (disregarding the obligatory transition hiccups that would have happened either way)
GHodge
Jewett City, CT

1 edit

GHodge

HDNET fixed

my signal...all better.
goddan
Quaker Hill, CT

goddan

What's with YES HD?

While channel surfing, I noticed YES HD (channel 421) seems to be off the air a lot. So I flipped through the guide for the next week, and the entire schedule for a whole week for that channel consists of exactly 3 NBA games. So, why are we wasting an HD slot on this?

Of course, this may just be a sign that I'm way too addicted to HD...

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Re: What's with YES HD?

said by goddan:

While channel surfing, I noticed YES HD (channel 421) seems to be off the air a lot. So I flipped through the guide for the next week, and the entire schedule for a whole week for that channel consists of exactly 3 NBA games. So, why are we wasting an HD slot on this?

Of course, this may just be a sign that I'm way too addicted to HD...
Take away YES HD at your own peril!

YES HD is the Yankees channel, it broadcasts Yankees games in HD.

That my friend is certainly not a waste. And that explains why it doesn't have a lot of activity right now, baseball season is over until next spring.
fishinglisou
join:2006-07-06
Plainfield, CT

fishinglisou

email probs

my mail keeps hanging around the 65th message downloaded,and any mail recieved before this point does not get deleted from the server.I would believe I need a reset!
Addy is fishinglisound@....

ultatryon1
@ultatryon.com

ultatryon1

Anon

Re: email probs

There is a message in your email box that uses a non-standard character-set, and your Outlook does not understand how to process it correctly. With the rash of botnet spam that has been circulating around for the last 2 months, these messages have substantially increased in frequency.

There are a few ways to get around it.

The first way (and the way I recommend), is to log into »mail.ct.metrocast.net with your email address and password, and remove any messages you dont need (read: spam). 99 times out of 100, that will fix it. For the other time, it is one of the messages that is deemed "important", start deleting more messages, or make copies (eg: print them) before deleting them.

We can also empty your mailbox for you,if you are not expecting anything important, this is often the fastest and easiest way to rectify the problem.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to fishinglisou

to fishinglisou
I know this will not be a good solution for everyone but it is what I did. My teenager's account was all ways getting "stuck" like this. For what ever reason metrocast servers would not allow her to get the email with 27 photo's of cute kittens in the html her friends sent her all the time. I tried Outlook and Thunderbird and could not get any mail short of using webmail to clear the log jam. In my case I have a domain and forwarded her mail to the metrocat account as I only get one popmail with the domain.

So I set up a Gmail account and have Outlook check it and changed the address on the forward and she gets her mail now no problem, Does not even know she has a gmail account.

This approach also saves the hassle of changing email address if you change ISP's or they change on you which this company has done twice! My bank is still ahead of them in the name change game but they are tied with the phone company.
billh491

billh491

Blocked ports comment elsewhere

I am in thread »[rant] dsl speeds

Where some one said Metrocast blocks ports. While I have not had any issues with blocked ports I could not say for sure we did or did not.

Could some one tell me if we do have some blocked ports.

ultatryon1
@ultatryon.com

ultatryon1

Anon

Re: Blocked ports comment elsewhere

Standard server ports for www, ftp, email, and sql are blocked.

The email and sql ones have been there for a while, the www and ftp ones are new.

Chick
join:2000-12-27
Niantic, CT

Chick

Email Servers

Is there any kind of a problem with email this morning? Outlook is timing out and if I try to access any of addresses through mail.ct.metrocast.net they either time out or take for ever. It appears the send side is fine, but receive is timing out.
All other internet services are fine.

••••••••••••••••••••
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

new computer.........need advice

I have a 4 port router.
If I plug my old and new machine into the router will my new machine be able to see the old one so I can transfer data files ? If so, does the machine just appear as a device under "My Computer?"

Will everyone on metrocast be able to see shared folders or is that just local?

Any advice/words of wisdom helpful.

thanks,

•••
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

VOIP Service

Does anyone know what is Metrocast's ETA for a VOIP service?

Between the constant packetloss(not all metrocasts fault but who they are buying from) and my 4 mb connection bouncing around like nothing, Vonage is running like crap for me.

I have perfect signal levels so i know it isnt on my end and i started to have vonage issues after i left my 8/768 comcast connection

•••••••••

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491

Any speed issues in the last two days

Anybody seeing any speed issues? Starting Wednesday around 4:30 I had a slow down so I decided to turn off everything and start over, modem did not sync right away don't know how long it took I gave up watching and went to make dinner. It came back but then about 10:30 it died and again I rebooted went to bed after 11 and it still had not synced.

Today at 4pm same thing but it did sync after about 15 minutes and I am back on with speeds that are all over the place via my many testing sites plus ftp and news servers.

If it does not settle down I guess I will have to call in.

•••
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

I am getting a security alert...can anyone help ?

My security prog pops-up every half hour and tells me there are two unknown devices on my network.

It gives an IP and a MAC address for each one.
The IPs are: 192.168.93.254 and 192.168.72.254
The macs are: 00:50:56:f8:c0;93 and 00:50:56:fd:19:8d

Any clue as to what these might be ?

I have a D-link router (supposedly secured) with wireless disabled.

••••••••
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 ... 53 · 54 · 55 · next