dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
Metrocast Communications - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 36 · 37 · 38 · 39 · 40 · 41 · 42 ... 53 · 54 · 55 · next

Rainer
@metrocast.net

Rainer

Anon

Multistream Cable Cards

Does anyone know if Metrocast offers multi stream cable cards in NH? Thanks

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

Re: Multistream Cable Cards

Yes. I have an M card in 2 of my TivoHDs. They are rental only.

Previously I had to purchase 2 S-Cards in my 3rd Tivo (yuuck, but no rental fee!)
icedcorn

icedcorn

Premium Member

Whoa! NFL Red Zone IS IN HD!

This didn't seem to be announced, but NFL RedZone HD is now on 773 in NH..although right now it is broadcasting NFL Network..fingers crossed it will be HD in 30 minutes.

jsz0
Premium Member
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT

jsz0

Premium Member

Re: Whoa! NFL Red Zone IS IN HD!

I think it's on 461 in CT.

Fluke
Premium Member
join:2008-06-24
Groton, CT

Fluke

Premium Member

Re: Whoa! NFL Red Zone IS IN HD!

464 in CT

Murph1
join:2005-09-02
New London, CT

Murph1 to icedcorn

to icedcorn
It was advertised on the Metrocast site. I've been watching it for 2 weeks now!

need_faster
@metrocast.net

need_faster

Anon

Apartments/gamer package

I would like to order the gamer package, however I am in the Abberly Crest Apartment complex which you guys work with to bundle the cable/internet with. Last year I asked if I could add the gamer package to my apartment, but at that point Metrocast said they couldn't do that...

Is there any chance that could change?

Also would a doscis 3 modem benefit us here in Southern Maryland?

SOMD-metrocast

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Re: Apartments/gamer package

I should preface these comments by saying that I live in CT.

I have the gamer package and I live in an MDU (multi-dweller unit, IOW an apartment building) without any issues. BUT... I don't have an Internet only package. Also, Metrocast just recently completed a complete system rebuild here, which included replacing ALL of the cabling to ALL of the apartments in my building.

I only mention this because if MC in MD claims that they can't do it it's prolly a marketing decision, not any sort of technical barrier. That is provided that the cabling in your MDU is up to snuff...

need_faster
@metrocast.net

need_faster

Anon

Should be, this apartment was brand new when I moved in.
need_faster

need_faster to need_faster

Anon

to need_faster
Just talked to metrocast, and they told me that I would have to pay the full amount, as the apartment complex has a contract with them only for the regular high speed package. Seems kind of ridiculous to me... It seems I would only have to pay the difference, since metrocast is getting the money anyways, but whatever.

JaeDolo
@metrocast.net

JaeDolo to need_faster

Anon

to need_faster
Can i just say that the gamer package is a complete waste of money. I had their second tier package up until today in which it was switched over to the gamer package. I have done numerous tests and have come to the conclusion that its is not at all faster but exactly the same. Sorry Metrocast but just by saying that the package is faster does not constitute 30 dollars more. will be switching back to my original package. Sorry this was a little off topic but i figured i'd throw my two sense in. DOWN WITH METROCAST I WANT COMCAST!!!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

It sounds like they may not have their side, but I get 9.5 mb down and .95 mb up on my Gamer package.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6 to JaeDolo

Premium Member

to JaeDolo
Where are you? I get consistently great speeds on the gamer package in CT...

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

I just posted another thread, but I will say the gamer package speeds are much, much better than they were 6 months ago.
Beafly
join:2007-08-13
Lexington Park, MD

Beafly to need_faster

to need_faster
The posts above are correct. The gamer package is noticably faster. I live in Lexington Park and used it for a few months before switching back to the standard package. The speed was nice, but not necessary.

However...

They and I all speaking from our location and not yours. And you live in a special place.

I lived in Abberly Crest for a year, still have friends that live there and I can say from experience that the Metrocast's service in that apartment complex is absolutely terrible. My assumption is that they are just plain overloaded with all of the users there. I know they had significant load problems when the apartments first opened, they made some upgrades that helped, but at peak times your bandwidth will suffer, and more importantly your response times will go to crap.

If you are seriously considering spending money in addition to what's already covered in your rent, I highly recommend you look at Verizon DSL as an alternative. Get off that local cable loop and you'll be much happier.
Beafly

Beafly to need_faster

to need_faster
Incidentally, this goes back to what I've said on this forum in the past...

Gamers do not care about large up/down speeds.

Gamers care about low ping times.

Offer a package that guarantees me quality of service and I'll pay extra for it. Otherwise, I could care less if a video buffers a few extra seconds, or if that patch takes an extra 5 minutes to download.

veloct
Go Pats
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Moosup, CT

veloct

Premium Member

They don't give two craps about gamers, specially on weekends, specially if you like to play FPS games or MMORPGs. I can't wait to switch.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Interesting, I am not too far from you and the service has been real stable.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491

Now my cell phone could have faster speed then I get from MC

»Verizon LTE Launches December 5, $50-$80 [71] comments

Come on MC when are going to give some speeds better then a cell phone? Never mind most other cable providers.

Grunge_Audit
join:2007-12-05

Grunge_Audit

Re: Now my cell phone could have faster speed then I get from MC

The future of the internet is in the air not the cable.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491

Well cell service Internet is capped at 5 gigs on just my desktop I downloaded 30 gigs last month never mind my netflix streaming and the rest of the computers in the house. My guess is 40-50 gigs a month here.

jsz0
Premium Member
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT

jsz0 to billh491

Premium Member

to billh491
The average is about 50-75GB/month from what I've seen but on a steady increase. That number was about 15-20GB 2 or 3 years ago. The top 1-2% doing 350GB+, 500GB+, and even 1TB+/month in at least a couple instances.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to billh491

Premium Member

to billh491
I will say on my iPhone 4 on 3G my upload speed is usually over 1 MB.
That being said, let's hope the packages that Santa brings to Metrocast are very large.
mangurian
join:2006-09-02
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

UVERSE this month in East Lyme

My area in East Lyme will be offered UVERSE at the end of 2010. All of East Lyme in 2111. I was wondering what all those AT&T trucks have been doing in my neighborhood.

badbob
join:2006-09-04
Niantic, CT

badbob

Re: UVERSE this month in East Lyme

I have been on it for 2 weeks and it is great! I sure hated to give up Metrocast as I had no complaints, but the U-verse price is quite a bit lower for what I use. The channel selection is far superior. I had been with them since it was Myeastern.

Upload is a little slower than I would like though:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5295.png

SpeakEasy:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 17047 kbps (2130.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 725 kbps (90.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to mangurian

to mangurian
Well it is not FIOS but it does beat what MC is offering so lets hope they step up with some uverse beating speeds at least.
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

Re: UVERSE this month in East Lyme

I'd rather see more channels than higher speeds.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to mangurian

to mangurian
Ya for 200 bucks a month I think I should get both.

tito24
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to mangurian

Premium Member

to mangurian
Yep, I've had U-Verse for over 3 years now & love it!

I think that Metrocast better step up to the plate & start adding some more channels, mainly HD. I was looking at their lineup a few weeks ago, and they really appear to be lacking as far as HD goes. If they don't, they will be in big trouble as U-Verse continues to expand.

AtlBraves
@metrocast.net

AtlBraves

Anon

Drops

Is anyone in the Cedar Cove area experiencing drops? My connection drops over a dozen times per hours for short periods the past few days. I'll get a 'Page Not Found' error when on the internet then if I refresh once the connection is restored, the page then displays. Happens both wired and wireless.

Anon38372
@metrocast.net

Anon38372

Anon

Re: Drops

Nope. Speeds and connection have been rock solid for months. Have you checked your router log? Could lead you to the problem...
chess1
join:2009-09-03
California, MD

chess1

MetroTech

Do you know if metrocast is upgrading to 3.0 like anytime soon ?

I know you probably get pinged a milion times, but I was just curious... Id love to get fios/comcast speeds of at least 20meg down....

thanks

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

admin58
@metrocast.net

admin58

Anon

question for metrocast techs

will a molorola sb6120 model work with your internet?

••••
GHodge
join:2002-02-27
Jewett City, CT

1 edit

GHodge

Uh oh....it's starting again

Getting complaints from the boys playing xbox live the past several nights at about the same time of night....between 8 and 9pm...speeds are in the toilet...speed tests prove it.
I hope the evening time crappy speed problems aren't back for the winter.....

Last Result: 10 pm 12/10/2010
Download Speed: 1301 kbps (162.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 441 kbps (55.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

••••••••••••••
ugleee
join:2010-10-24
Berwick, PA

ugleee

YAY bandwidth cap...

I never paid much attention to the terms of service, but I don't remember there being a bandwidth cap. Is this new or have I just not been paying attention?

»www.metrocast.com/policy ··· _AUP.cfm

-
MetroCast Access 25 GB
MetroCast High Speed Basic 100 GB
MetroCast High Speed 250 GB
MetroCast Gamer Monthly Bandwidth Usage Limit: 350 GB

How much bandwidth does using netflix regularly (6-8 hours per day about half of it HD) eat up?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

I want to help a new customer set up

I have an older friend who has never owned a computer.
He will be spending more time at home and now wants internet capability.

- Can I install the splitter and cable modem or must a tech come to his house? If so, can I pick up the modem and splitter for him?
- Can he arrange for internet service just by calling M'cast or must he go into the office.
- I am trying to figure out what tier he needs. The highest bandwidth he will use is for playing poker and also bridge at Bridgebase.com. Anyone have experience with these sites?

•••••
mangurian

mangurian

Lose an email account after 90 day ?

New Rules.........
There must be a reason.........

I have a few special purpose accounts that could at times go 90 days without logging in. What benefit is there to MC if they can close that account. That means that email must cost them enough so that they put this restriction on. What happens if you go on a special forces op and can't log in for 90 days? Do you get back and find that you have lost your account name and your emails??

•••••••••

N3CAL
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

Is Metrocast Blocking Site?

Is Metrocast blocking www.mdshooters.com? It's been unreachable for several days. Site is up and reachable from Verizon Network but not Metrocast? Anyone know why?

•••••
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

can I get wireless internet ?

My friend wants to sit in a chair with his laptop and have no ethernet cable to the cable modem.

Does MC have a wireless connection (as in router)?

•••

N3CAL
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

Metrocast Internet Service Down in Maryland

Just lost internet service here in Maryland tonight. Modem will not sync up. Have been trying to call Tech Support for last hour but line is busy. Using backup, tethered to cell phone currently.

•••••

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

(topic move) Mount Vernon NY Terrible Verizon DSL

»Mount Vernon NY Terrible Verizon DSL

Moderator Action
This topic was moved to the forum Verizon Online DSL

stated reason was: better place
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

new install question

Does anyone know.......

If the system will use a wireless setup and the router has already been purchased, will the installation tech test the system with the wireless or just with an ethernet cable from the computer to the modem?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: new install question

AFAIK it is not up to them to test the wireless. Maybe the tech will do that on his own.
papi4baby
join:2008-01-19
Callaway, MD

papi4baby to mangurian

to mangurian
Most likely no.

You could ask him if you are not familiar how to set it up. Just be aware he is not required to do so.

But he is there to get your computers connected to the internet, the only other thing that he should do is setup your email accounts if you want them.
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

2 edits

mangurian

just got notice FBN is coming

to Digital Basic.

better late......etc
seethransom
join:2009-12-26
New London, CT

seethransom

Re: just got notice FBN is coming

Hey Good for you. I am happy with my line-up, but I would love to see the HD counterparts for Comedy, and Cartoon Networks.
mangurian
Hillsborough, NC

mangurian

Do I need a set-top box?

I have a 2010 SONY HDTV with QAM.

I now have Expanded Basic.
If I add Digital Basic, will I have to rent a box.

Without the box, Dig Basic would be $10 more/month. (acceptable)
If a box is required, it would be $17/mo plus tax. (unaffordable)

Can anyone let me know if I need the box?

•••
ski93
join:2005-02-14
Northwood, NH

ski93

Metrocast Rate Hikes

Just got off the phone with a Metrocast rep....They have confirmed that my internet bill will go up every year from now until who knows when..Just opened my bill...Without any notice i see a 3.88 Dollar increase, when I called for clarification on why it went up, he simply said it is an annual event..I then asked when I would receive my speed increase, he said I wasn't, maybe down the road, but not as of this moment. So it's nice to see that I get absolutely nothing in return for these oh soooo wonderful rate hikes..thanks Metrocast...I never though I would EVER utter these words..Time to call Fairpoint

•••••••••••••
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 36 · 37 · 38 · 39 · 40 · 41 · 42 ... 53 · 54 · 55 · next