dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Metrocast Communications - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 39 · 40 · 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 ... 50 · 51 · 52 · next

Grunge_Audit

join:2007-12-05

Virginia New Rates July 2011?

All areas or just VA?

blogs.fredericksburg.com - »blogs.fredericksburg.com/kinggeo···ng-up-2/

PDF - »blogs.fredericksburg.com/kinggeo···ates.pdf
--
Where is that marketing manager when you need him? -GA

Nesn Viewer

@metrocast.net

No Audio On Nesn

Stanley cup playoffs and theirs no audio im wondering when these issues are goin to get fixed over a month now between jumpy video and no no audio whats the deal is it metrocast or nesn ??
mprimm

join:2011-05-02
Lexington Park, MD

Clear QAM Channel Map St Marys

Does anyone have an up to date clear QAM channel map for Saint Marys county MD?
seethransom

join:2009-12-26
New London, CT

U-Verse

New London seems to be able to order the high rate DSL packages. Naturally, they seem cheaper. Once you buy the MODEM, and the install fees.

I looked at the prices for their TV service. I figure that is next. It is impressive, however I would choose the U100. It is pretty close to the expanded basic. It included my beloved Cartoon Network, and Comedy Network. Once I add the HD service, and the receiver, I am up to $85. It made me think again about what I pay for, and what I get.

I pay close to $100 a month for TV, and Internet. I have a TiVo, at around the same price as a rental box. ATT would cost me $45 for 12.0Mb (no self install). That is $130 That sounds good, but the prices go up in 6 to 12 months. It just is not worth the $15/month. Perhaps if all the installation, and equipment were free.

I just don't think I want to move to at@t just to go back to Metrocast. That, and I don't want to lose my TiVo. Customer service is the best at Metrocast. Entertainment is a premium, and it seems that no matter how the numbers fit, they are all about the same prices, to start.

Have anyone else considering switching, or those of you close by switch yet?
quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

Re: U-Verse

Unfortunately, you probably won't know many parts of the equation until (or rather if) you use both services for a period of time.

For example, I signed up for DSL elite. It was a good price and performance was in the range of what I was looking for. I spoke to a CSR and they told me I was eligible. So I went through a two week process of having the install done. After installation, it turns out I'm not eligible for elite speeds after all, I can only get half the speed. Classic bait and switch. (I did finally get elite after a long battle, and I'm happy with it now)

That's the sort of experience you can't know in advance. Metrocast had their share of issues, especially performance-wise, in my area. I had terrible performance at certain times of the day. Maybe that is resolved now, I don't know, but that is another type of thing I doubt you'll hear about from any CSR. You can only find out after using it.

I guess the point is neither one is a slam-dunk, but on the other hand, be glad if you have the choice of two broadband providers, and two TV providers. It wasn't that long ago I remember many of us in the area had one broadband option (@Home) and then we had nothing when they folded and had to go back to dialup.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Re: U-Verse

I was close to the CO for DSL up here as the crow flies. When they came out the line loop was for some reason not a direct shot per se. They technician actually cut off tons of the lengths so I could get Elite.
howdys_saw

join:2008-03-20
Norwich, CT
My folks live over near Mo Sun and recently my old man was kicking around the idea of the VIP pkg just as a convenience of having one bill. We worked the numbers and it looks like he wouldn't be saving much, maybe $3/mo by dumping ATT phone/dsl and converting to metrocast. He would get faster internet w/VIP pkg but that really doesn't matter to him. A couple of days later a UVerse sales rep was canvassing the neighborhood and knocked on his door around around 730p. He calls me up and tells me the cost for U200, elite dsl, and unlimited phone is $108 tax included after $35/mo promo, install will cost $29. I told him that can not be the case but if he can get it in writing then do it. He assured multiple times that the price quoted included tax. He goes ahead and makes the appointment for install and they provide him paperwork. I get there the next day and read over everything and none of the figures jive and tax is absolutely not included in any estimate. Later in the morning he gets an email confirming his order that comes to $130 before tax but before $25/mo promo (not $35) for one year and install is now $79 (not $29).
He ends up on phone w/new haven customer service who tells him they can give him the pkg for $114/mo for one year, before tax and that is their best offer. He decided to call it off altogether.
LF911

join:2010-05-15
Rochester, NH

No HBOGo

So, I just finished installing the new HBOGo app and I was SHOCKED to find out Metrocast subscribers are not supported. Gee, What a surprise. Maybe some day, those of us who live in central and northern New Hampshire will be able to choose a cable provider that isn't stuck in the Stone Age.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

Re: No HBOGo

Same disappointment here, although with a little less sarcasm. LOL.

I also want ESPN3. I keep filing channel requests.

»metrocast.com/channel_request.cfm

xalbaxcorex

@metrocast.net
HBOGO is brand new. The majority of cable providers have yet to commit to it besides the top few. I'm not saying MetroCast is cutting edge, but not providing HBOGO hardly puts them in the stone age.

Last I inquired, they were looking to add the services once some prerequisite upgrades were made to their site. The rep I had made suggestions that ESPN 360 was being heavily looked into as well, but required the same upgrades.

Although it's nice knowing the services are on the way, I really wish they had a date for customers. As a technology junky I am historically bad at waiting for this stuff. ={

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
It's the little things that drive people away from Metrocast TV. I left over 2 years ago and went to DirecTv. Cheaper, more HD choices, and now they have HBOGo.

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
I came back from DTV for video about a year ago. Went to dinner last week as I walked in I saw a TV over the bar with the "searching for Signal" message due to the rain storm. Sure don't miss that.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

For the few times that happens I'll take the better selection and price all year long.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

I agree. I've been very pleased with MC. They aren't Comcast and that's a good thing. I do miss the west coast feeds of the premium channels, but other than that it's been all good.

They do seem to listen to their customers and try to bring new stuff up. I am guessing that HBOGo and ESPN3 are not cheap to carry..at the end of the day do I want to pay even more money?

My cable/phone/internet bill is over $200 a month now. Yikes!
mangurian

join:2006-09-02
East Lyme, CT

any problems receiving email or senders getting bouncebacks?

A number of friends have reported sometimes receiving error msgs when they try to send me an email via a Metrocast address.
It appears to the that the email did not go through.

I think this has only been happening the last few weeks (not sure).

As near as I can tell, sometimes I receive them, sometimes not.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Re: any problems receiving email or senders getting bouncebacks?

Does Metrocast host their own email servers? If so, I don't understand why. With GMail so cheap and free, they should skip it and direct everyone to GMail (and pass the savings on to the cusomters).
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

Metrocast server problem - only me ??

Am I the only one who has friends reporting that they often get the following bounce back when they email me ? Any ideas on what's wrong ?

--- On Fri, 4/29/11, MAILER-DAEMON@nm18.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com wrote:

> > From: MAILER-DAEMON@nm18.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
> > Subject: Failure Notice
> > To: xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com
> > Date: Friday, April 29, 2011, 12:44 AM
> > Sorry, we were unable to deliver your
> > message to the following address.
> >
> > :
> > Mail server for "ct.metrocast.net" unreachable for too
> > long
> >
> > --- Below this line is a copy of the message.
> >
> > Received: from [98.139.212.144] by
> > nm18.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 27 Apr 2011
> > 04:41:20 -0000
> > Received: from [98.139.212.223] by
> > tm1.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 27 Apr 2011
> > Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1032.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
> > with NNFMP; 27 Apr 2011 04:41:20 -0000
> > X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
> > X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 916186.25345.bm@omp1032.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
> > Received: (qmail 88529 invoked by uid 60001); 27 Apr 2011
> > DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
> > d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1303879280;
> > bh=+7xhqvVTcfxzLYNZrMY2vXfwMKqNYatgx7V9xeMwdak=;
> > h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
> > b=eXXvKpWgli1VF5rugyz1ssG9ZD+ZUcLmCpFbIsvsaK2X5Ne5/9os9uQ7I4yU6DwH4Dhy5ftpo6JFO5u9QbQAb/bRo8JHlUWm/AbupjbHJ4z/lW5nHrFz515VH1c7aTpznZuzl3l144VlsPBkNiWYxFmDA6aSTlkP9f/ti0uz7sM=
> > DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
> > s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
> >
> > h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
> >
> > b=6SnBaHboC9K+iJNhIgY9jCDjXPnrzovuexFkmO1m4hEyR+ftrKb4VKORBn36Z7zyAXdZAXGf/oMn4TI49vU30nXiqYTWEvuaWGs49eKvFWXiTmq7ITaPEDSjIOunr+QWf4NTtfFzUqbJz7jcmLcAJIvYlVfy9yWmfJK4chzhN40=;
> > Message-ID:
> > X-YMail-OSG:
> > FGma_j0VM1kmpbESaKJyKlL8wa2AbHbUOD4meOMWm4t3AkE
> >
> > IfQL0jt1f6qDTkinq.iKlgdS4qoVzveaAaoWrYNbSr_XWGS.EjPfS4kC1b.T
> >
> > p9bq4PIjSs7g1bFU2IAiuNfYAt7argY96EZsy0rf0ZFHifoiJpJWr3CjUby2
> >
> > TcRjYMoFZsYm23pXvXPzIc08mT0eaVeE27TgEFTEJDIuYamtsY5MR6HoiOwx
> >
> > ge_CmsIU95XkYlPZUOtgK.CEyX0DHIKWm5_dCo_SqwLueNQEI6Hn9kjk4wdB
> >
> > Q1JxuYjDxHqRSo7t4dh7pbDQJl7Fb9JPF2dQifEJLpvqef1FQ6zIDOW4JoFl
> >
> > R4qr8j7eqRuBO_lrdDv8tXtSHCkWM5W5ICo7EjysH5QVmNu3znbmd0ozFr_y
> > z00xgNwr83V2ML6pNgg--
> > Received: from [71.50.97.189] by
> > web31802.mail.mud.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 26 Apr 2011
> > 21:41:20 PDT
> > X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/12.0.2
> > YahooMailWebService/0.8.111.303096
> > Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
MetroWill

join:2011-07-19

Re: Metrocast server problem - only me ??

The error "Mail server for "ct.metrocast.net" unreachable for too long" means Yahoo had issues getting to that domain, for whatever reason.

You'd need to have contacted Yahoo at that time to figure out why I bet, but if it happens again give MetroCast a call and we can look into our side at least if it's happening again.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

1 edit

appears to be yahoo contacts (at least) having the problem

Unfortunately, I despair of ever getting Yahoos attention. They are too damn big to worry about me. Any Ideas on why it would be just Yahoo and is there anything I can do on my end?
Turns out it is not just YAHOO mail. Others are reporting they have msgs to me bounce.
MetroWill

join:2011-07-19

Re: appears to be yahoo contacts (at least) having the problem

Well it looks like your using Yahoo mail right? If that's the case I (personally) would have no idea why mail gets rejected or bounced or times out if it happens on your end.

If it hits the MetroCast servers and you get a bounce from us, that I can definitely look into, though it doesn't appear to be that from the example you posted.

Feel free to IM me your email address and I can send mail from Metrocast to it to see what happens though.
mrblue5

join:2011-08-25

Re: appears to be yahoo contacts (at least) having the problem

I am seeing the same issue. It has been going on for the past few days. It is the same thing: Yahoo fails to contact ct.metrocast.net.

If I ping ct.metrocast.net, I get timeouts. I do get an DNS translation of 65 175 128 188. Trying this from a different ISP, I get the same translation, so it appears to be correct.
jslowik

join:2009-08-04

HD-PPV

Hey, now that we've gotten the Speed Increase, and new HD Channels, does anyone know if Metrocast plans on providing HD Pay Per View Streams in the near future? I love having UFC parties w/ my friends, but would much rather be ordering the fights in HD.

xalbaxcorex

@metrocast.net

Re: HD-PPV

What state are you in?

Seeth

@metrocast.net
All the changes made in New London I think ate up all the bandwidth, and room they had to work with. Netflix is a great service for people who love on demand. You do need a networked device, such as a game console, ipod/pad with TV out. Roku, Tivo, and many Blu-Ray players.

Also look at playon.tv for more on-demand options.
jslowik

join:2009-08-04

Re: HD-PPV

Seeth, I already have Netflix on about 4 different devices (its everywhere now ). I was asking about HD-PPV specifically for UFC fights. UFC events are available in HD, but Metrocast doesn't appear to have an HD PPV stream.

And I'm in Connecticut for those who asked
rua2j1

join:2011-01-28
Forest, MS

Is Metrocast internet coming my way?

Last few weeks I have been seeing Metrocast trucks up and down my road in Mississippi putting up these gray rectangular boxed on their lines. Does anyone know if this is an upgrade to offer internet down my street. They are replacing these black pouches on the lines. Any ideas? When I call my local office, the lady that works there says that she has not heard anything about upgrade.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

18 down in CT ?

I have the 9M down plan. Any idea how much more 18 down costs. The MC web site prices are out of date (see below).

MetroCast High Speed Internet Services*
View Details Add High Speed Ultra
10.0 Mbps x 1.0 Mbps and up to 5 e-mail addresses!
$69.95
View Details Add High Speed Internet
7.0 Mbps x 512 Kbps and up to 5 e-mail addresses!
$44.95
View Details Add High Speed Basic
$34.95

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: 18 down in CT ?

I pay $70 without video, so with video I believe it would be $60.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT
Another user reported paying 72.90 (in my Internet only thread) for Ultra. That sounds about right for $69.95 + modem fee.

If they are forcing you to pay a modem fee even if you bring your own modem, then that is a lame attempt to tack on hidden fees.
ultatryon

join:2002-04-10
Waterford, CT

If you bring your own modem, you can opt out of the Maintenance fee. The stipulation is that if your modem dies, you need to replace it yourself or start paying the fee to have us come and replace it.

To receive a modem from us, you must pay the $2.95/mo.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Are you sure? When I first started with Eastern CT Cable they gave you a free modem and you could keep it when you cancelled, which I did. I used AT&T for a year, and then went back to the cable which was metrocast now and used the modem I had in the closet. When I bought my own Docsis 3 cable modem they started charging me the maintenance fee on the free modem from Eastern CT Cable. I am still going back and forth with customer service 6 months later. It's ridiculous.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Grunge_Audit

join:2007-12-05

1Gbps fiber for $70 in USA ?

Ars »arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news···-yup.ars
--
Where is that marketing manager when you need him? -GA

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

4 edits

Odd trace from Voipo....

Can someone take a look at that last hop, it seems really bad...

root@sip-east01:~# traceroute 206.xx.xx.5
traceroute to 206.xx.xx.5 (206.xx.xx.5), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 midphase.com (208.43.68.129) 0.255 ms 0.380 ms 0.518 ms
2 po101.cer01.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com (208.43.118.133) 0.257 ms 0.289 ms 0.332 ms
3 po2.bbr01.eq01.wdc02.networklayer.com (173.192.18.196) 0.715 ms 0.754 ms 0.791 ms
4 border11.tge8-4.softlayer-18.wdc002.pnap.net (216.52.125.93) 0.776 ms 0.864 ms 0.904 ms
5 border7.te2-2-bbnet2.wdc002.pnap.net (216.52.127.87) 1.088 ms 1.176 ms 1.315 ms
6 harron-3.border7.wdc002.pnap.net (63.251.92.162) 3.102 ms 3.059 ms 3.017 ms
7 static-216-36-30-238.cpe.metrocast.net (216.36.30.238) 34.755 ms 34.836 ms 34.924 ms
8 static-206-53-95-141.cpe.metrocast.net (206.53.95.141) 21.586 ms 21.581 ms 21.604 ms
9 d-206-xx-xx-5.cpe.metrocast.net (206.xx.xx.x) 32.769 ms 32.765 ms 32.751 ms
10 d-206-xx-xx-5.cpe.metrocast.net (206.xx.xx.x) 3004.306 ms !H 3004.345 ms !H *
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org
ultatryon

join:2002-04-10
Waterford, CT

Re: Odd trace from Voipo....

The last hop is your own modem/computer. Perhaps you had something downloading/uploading during the test?

Also, you forgot to redact the 2nd and 3rd octets from the last two lines on the IP address vs the FQDN.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: Odd trace from Voipo....

Nothing at the time, it was during a call. Thanks for noticing that I forgot to redact them.

Seeth

@metrocast.net

I had to cut the cord.

I have no beef with Metrocast, they always delivered what they promised. I had to cut services though.
I am disabled, so the cost just got to be too much. I get a free phone (not much airtime) I am given, because I am disabled.
Many people say they have to trim the fat, but never get rid of the cable. I consider it a luxury, Nothing personal.
I kept the lifeline, and the internet. that has cut my bill t something I can afford. I will miss the HD.
I wish they could offer a discount for elderly/disabled. Yet, I know companies just cannot provide cheap anything just because I am low income. I just have to modify my budget.
As cable/sat goes, the prices are not outrageous. I am sad to leave.
I found some tips for those who cut the cord too.
Netflix! Lots of HD content too. Hulu Plus, I am doing a trial. I am not sure I am going to keep them.
There is also a program called Playon, located at www.playon.tv
It has so much content. There are also plugins made by people at playonscripts.com
With Playon, you can watch live TV, access the free version of Hulu. You can find almost any movie to stream. not a lot is HD, but it is a great solution, or augmentation to cable. I encourage you to try their 2week trial. It is only like $40 per year. There are a lot of channels I did not list.

Metrocast I love ya, I hope to come back. I just can't swing for it.
Seeth
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Re: I had to cut the cord.

You said you kept the internet. Is that through Metrocast?

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

Up speed issue

Something not good happening to my up speed:

I usually don't see that changing much. Anything going on I should know about?

•••••••••••••
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Forced modem rentral

I started the sign up wizard on the Metrocast site and selected "high speed internet". I noticed it insists on adding a modem rental fee. If you attempt to un-check the modem rental, a message appears:

Selecting Internet Services requires a Modem Rental. The Internet Modem has been selected for you.

I guess they'll do anything to try and squeeze a few more dollars out of us.

•••••
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

where do I access email account set-up ?

I can't find it on ct.Metrocast.net.
I want to delete one account and setup a new one.

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT

Re: where do I access email account set-up ?

From a MC website I found

Depending on the level of service you choose, you may be provided with either 2 or 5 e-mail addresses.

Remember, if you add additional E-Mail boxes to your account, you will have to configure your E-Mail program to check for mail in each box. Please consult your software manual or help file for information on how to access multiple E-Mail accounts.

Subscribers to MetroCast Access and High Speed Basic will incur an additional $5.00 per month charge for each additional box they desire over the 2 provided. High Speed subscribers are provided with 5 mail boxes at no additional cost.

Please call technical support to set up additional email boxes or aliases.

Click here to find the technical support numberfor your area.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Modem choice

I ordered the Motorola SB6120. This appears to be the front runner for DOCSIS 3.0 modems. Was this the right choice? Are there any others I should have considered?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: Modem choice

Mine has been working like a charm.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

SB 6120

Will I be able to use the SB 6120 as a router on my internal LAN? In other words, can I connect it to a switch and will it serve the basic functionality of a wired router?

The docs suggest it will do this. I'd rather not use a router if I don't have to.

••••

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Advice - Modem & Router

I have the highest tier Metrocast internet in Rochester -- I think it's 18x2.

I have the Arris phone modem (I believe DOCSIS 2.0) and a WRT310N linksys router.

My understanding is that DOCSIS 3.0 supports banding but really doesn't kick in unless your speeds are over 18...does Metrocast allow VIP people to claim unused bandwidth on the network and allow those "speed bursts"?

I guess my question is, would there be any benefit to me to get a Docsis 3.0 modem and a dual band router? If so what would the benefit be?

Thanks.

••••••••••••••••

CedarCove1

@metrocast.net

Slow Response

In Cedar Cove, service has been great for a long time until the last week of so. Web pages take longer to load and I get a lot of "web page waiting to load". It started only in the evenings, but now occurs off/on during the day. Recycled my modem and router (new Netgear wireless N), etc. The following applies: Downstream SNR=38dB, Power Level=7dBmV, Upstream Power Level=37dBmV. Speedtest.net reflects Ping=10ms, Download speed=9.48Mbps, Upload speed=0.49Mbps. Anyone else having any issues?
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 39 · 40 · 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 ... 50 · 51 · 52 · next