dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Metrocast Communications - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 40 · 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 ... 50 · 51 · 52 · next
tony_s_fan

join:2011-04-03
Putnam, CT

capping data

does anyone know if Metrocast has plans or has implemented data caps on their internet service like others are starting to do? Just wonder....

Thanks!!!

Rick
MetroWill

join:2011-07-19

Re: capping data

Double post, ignore this.
MetroWill

1 edit
We already have data caps in effect, and do enforce the limits. The monthly limits are as follows:

MetroCast Internet Access: 25GB
MetroCast High Speed Basic: 100 GB
MetroCast High Speed: 250GB (what most people have)
MetroCast Gamer/Ultra: 350 GB

You can review the current acceptable use policies here:
»www.metrocast.com/policy_HSI_AUP.cfm
tony_s_fan

join:2011-04-03
Putnam, CT

said by MetroWill:

We already have data caps in effect, and do enforce the limits. The monthly limits are as follows:

MetroCast Internet Access: 25GB
MetroCast High Speed Basic: 100 GB
MetroCast High Speed: 250GB (what most people have)
MetroCast Gamer/Ultra: 350 GB

You can review the current acceptable use policies here:
»www.metrocast.com/policy_HSI_AUP.cfm

Ok, thanks for the info. i don't think i even come close to the caps. is there any way we can check out monthly usage?

Rick

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
This started in the last year and as far as I know there is no way to check your usage. I think if they are going to impose a cap there should be a way to check.

Having said that my cap is 350 gigs and I don't know how i could get even close to that. While I do not monitor the whole network I have an app that tells me how much I have used on my main computer and in the last two weeks it has been only 15 gigs down and .6 up.
MetroWill

I'm finding Netflix has really been surprising people with how much bandwidth it can rack up in a month for regular users.

It's something like 3600MB for a 2 hour HD movie, and about 1500MB for a HD TV show (around 30 minutes). So after about 40 HD movies and a few seasons of your favorite TV show your catching up on...ya I can see that approaching if not exceeding one of your caps depending on your package.

Most of the people I have been calling this week have been heavy users of Netflix with 2-3 TVs and Netflix instead of Cable TV streaming all day or night. Most are quite surprised at the numbers.

I do find it interesting to see like 5-9 gigs a month uploaded and then look at 600+ gigs downloaded in a month on a report and already know it's due to Netflix.

For the OP, if your comfortable IM'ing me your first and last name I'll gladly see if your on my over their bandwidth report, or if you want to email abuse at metrocast dot com I can look you up via your email address. (assuming you have a metrocast dot net email address)

W.
mangurian

join:2006-09-02
East Lyme, CT

40 HD movies ????????Re: capping data

I can't imagine that in a month !
Perhaps if someone is homebound.
Otherwise........after the two months there are no more worthwhile HD movies to watch.

p,s, That works out to 3.3, 24 hour days of watching movies!

A whole lotta' popcorn.
MetroWill

Re: 40 HD movies ????????Re: capping data

Most of these guys I speak to have 2 TVs, and other devices streaming media Netflix, Hulu, Pandora radio, it all can add up fast. With more than one person using the bandwidth it's twice as easy to hit the cap.

But keep in mind, this is in addition to any other websurfing, email, ftp, peer-to-peer traffic, gaming, Video Conferencing, etc, all that will surly add to the overall monthly totals. So I wouldn't say it's all Netflix's fault, just a darn good chunk of it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

So when do you plan on implementing a usage meter for customers?
MetroWill

It's in the works now. No exact ETA as of yet.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

So in the meantime what are you suggesting for people to track their usage?
MetroWill

Well, I have no easy way to do that for customers yet. I can check to see if you are over right now based on the report handed to me, or try to get a report run based on your account. Neither of which, I'm sure, is the answer you wanted.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Here is the problem. If the ordinary person doesn't have a meter how can they manage their usage other than just take your word for it. Other ISP's are not capping service until a meter is in place. I cannot see how you can enforce something when the user has no way to see where they stand or dispute your word.
MetroWill

1 edit

I'm certainly not here to engage in a debate with company practices, so while I may or may not agree with you, I'm more comfortable talking about what I can, which was just some basic facts, policies, and numbers.

To try and address your question though, for the average user, not running linux and using MRTG, PRTG, or some other similar networking monitoring tools, it might be impossible at the moment for them.

There is a meter in place, but as I said earlier it isn't something a customer has access to yet. That is coming though.

The current AUP we have linked from our internet FAQ, does say this is something we do watch, and has been in place for awhile. (in it's current form anyway.)

And while I don't want to be seen as an ogre, there is the line in the AUP that states:

"MetroCast's determination of the level of bandwidth consumption by Service accounts is final and binding."

I wouldn't be so crass as to use it in conversation with a customer, but if pressed into it that does allow us to be the sole determining factor in what bandwidth was used in a specific period.

I'm looking forward to put these tools in our customers hands, and I hardly think even an average user would have need for concern about not having it yet. So I don't think this is as big as a problem as you do right now.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

I have read the AUP before the new speeds kicked in and had the same question then. I just find it hard to enforce a policy when the customer ha zero way of tracking their usage.
Blaming Netflix in all honest is a cop out. I could see if it was an issue prior to your AUP and there was a network change, but we all know it wasn't.

Here I was thinking Metrocast was innovating and breaking the mold, but they are in step with everyone else here aka AT&T.

A shame...
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org
MetroWill

Your entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I'm treating you all with respect, and providing you honest answers, please don't twist my words into something they are not.

I saw an opportunity to talk about something interesting to me, especially as I'm the guy on the other end of the phone talking to people about this very issue, and the last thing I want is to be treated the way I suddenly find you to be treating me.

I'm sorry you feel that way though ptrowski, again, I hope to get those tools in the hands of those that want it as soon as possible.

W.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

No need to take it personally Will, I have no "ill Will" so to speak to you at all, to me it is just a discussion. You are doing your job, I understand that completely. I am doing my job explaining my thoughts. No harm no foul at all.

Grunge_Audit

join:2007-12-05

Hi MetroWill,

Always nice to see an official rep here. You are an official metrocast rep correct?

Do you happen to know if business packages have a cap? My local crew didn't seem to know.

Thanks for your time
--
Where is that marketing manager when you need him? -GA

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

Not at this time. Caps are on residential packages.
MetroWill

Yes I am an employee. I used to work with tenpin784 until he moved on to better things

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

So Will what number can we reach you at to confirm our usage?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Very interesting link from the front page today...

»www.cringely.com/2011/07/bandwid···e-hikes/
quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT
I agree with ptrowski's sentiments. I think if caps must be in place (hopefully only until the market gets more competitive), then I think there should be a more graceful and automatic process. For example, maybe slow down the service if the cap is reached.

Having said that, I very much appreciate having MetroWill here to provide straight answers. AT&T recently instituted caps, and there were so many questions about who was affected (DSL or UVerse or both) and some people could access the meter, others could not. There were no straight answers to anything. CSR's knew nothing, but would say anything to keep you paying. And their new policy was to automatically charge a rather high price per GB that you went over the cap.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT
1) Is a "month" a billing cycle? So at the start of the next billing cycle, the counter goes to zero?

2) Is GB = 2^30 bytes (1,073,741,824)
or do you use the hard drive values:
GB = 10^9 bytes (1,000,000,000)
MetroWill

The reports generated are based on calendar months, not billing cycles.

The report I have is 1 GB = 1000MB, or 1,000,000,000 bytes

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
I agree with ptrowski on all points we should have access to a meter and we do not hold it against you Will in fact we value you being in the forum.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
A very good read. Bottom line is 250 gigs of data costs MC 8 bucks and they charge 42. And the cost will go down 22% this year. Now I know the they have other costs but they are covered if you hit the 250 so there is no reason they could not sell you 250 more if needed for 10 bucks.

Grunge_Audit

Another good read just posted today.
»techcrunch.com/2011/07/29/your-i···go-down/
--

jsz0
Premium
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT
There's a bit more to it than just backbone costs. Thousands of miles of plant, tree branches that like to fall on things, drivers who like to drive into things, mail, DNS, NNTP, equipment needed to deliver the service, routine plant maintenance, 24x7 customer service, 24x7 technical support, upgrades, etc.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

True, but all that warrants data caps? Isn't that the normal run of the mill cable company expenses.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

said by ptrowski:

True, but all that warrants data caps? Isn't that the normal run of the mill cable company expenses.

One popular theory is that broadband providers put caps are in place to provide a chilling effect for those who would use a competitors video service like Netflix or Amazon. Metrowill himself said Netflix users are the most likely to go over the limit.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by quantumred:

said by ptrowski:

One popular theory is that broadband providers put caps are in place to provide a chilling effect for those who would use a competitors video service like Netflix or Amazon. Metrowill himself said Netflix users are the most likely to go over the limit.

Very true, he did. But what does Metrocast have to offer that is similar?
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

said by ptrowski:

Very true, he did. But what does Metrocast have to offer that is similar?

Their cable TV service. A lot of people drop their TV service and use streaming (Netflix, Hulu, etc) and/or things like redbox.

Check this article:
»www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law···antennas

If someone considers an internet service as a requirement, then adding about $8 a month for Netflix, that's quite a savings over internet + cable TV, or internet + UVerse TV.

Of course the two are not nearly the same, but the price difference is large, and many find TV less compelling these days with the internet satisfying the need for things like news and weather.

Thus, many have floated the theory that caps are being introduced to try and slow the move from big TV to internet only based options.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Good speeds

Using an SB 6120 modem. Speeds have been consistently very good, even during prime time:

•••
jslowik

join:2009-08-04

Connection Issues?

Anyone else having issues keeping a connection tonight (7/25). I can have a internet (slow) for a few minutes, but then my SB6120 loses connection. I'm writing this quickly after a restart before it cuts out again.

Jeff G

join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

Blocking Emails from Yahoo

Hey team. Does Metrocast block Yahoo domain? I am trying to email a Metrocast user from my yahoo and it keeps telling me that the server is not responding. If I send from my work domain it goes right through. Thoughts?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL

Re: Blocking Emails from Yahoo

»Metrocast server problem - only me ??

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

Metrocast Channel Requests

What are you looking for?

Fox Soccer HD
ESPN 3
HBO GO
Comedy Central HD

•••••••••••••••

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Glad I Have Tivo

I see that Metrocast is changing their TV guide to some new software this weekend, and that means all the shows on the box will be conveniently auto deleted.

And this is why I'm glad I have TiVo. I do wish TiVo supported on demand or Metrocast supported HBOGO .

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

NH System - 10/1 price increase

In my recent bill Metrocast announced they are jacking up equipment rentals..
Effective October 1, 2011, the following rates will apply for MetroCast modem rentals: Standard Wired Modem: $5.00 eMTA (Phone Modem): $6.00 Wireless Modem: $7.00 Wireless eMTA: $8.00 For more information about MetroCast go to MetroCast.com, or chat with an online representative at MetroCast.com/Support. For your convenience we accept all major credit cards and offer online bill pay or recurring bill pay options.

I have a wired eMTA modem right now @ $3.95 a month...so yeah, it's going to $6.00.

You know I wouldn't mind if that eMTA Wireless supports DOCSIS 3.0...but I'm not hearing boo about it. I'd love to not have a router and an emTA..one less power outlet..

•••••••••••••

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

Post Irene Status

I know you guys are busy, this is not a complaint!

In fact, I really have to give major kudos to Metrocast, my cable went out for about half an hour on Saturday night, but then it came back and it hasn't gone off since. While it was off, I lost both Internet and TV.

So, as I mentioned, this is most definitely NOT a complaint, I just want to let you guys know what the status is here in New London:

When my cable came back after the Saturday night outage, I didn't show any bonding.

I'm still not showing bonding, but everything appears to be working OK.

•••••••••••

Maine Ticked

@metrocast.net

I am NOT HAPPY!

I can't believe the rudeness of the Metrocast Customer Reps. I can't wait until I move out of the area and can get back to Time Warner.

Grunge_Audit

Re: I am NOT HAPPY!

As long as you are polite people will generally help. So what's the problem? Perhaps the collective mind here can assist.
--

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL

Re: I am NOT HAPPY!

Perhaps no cable after Irene? I am still waiting to get power back myself.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Google Fiber

Metrocast better hope that Google fiber never makes it to the east coast, or their relevance in the internet area may come to an end.
»www.anandtech.com/show/4661/goog···stanford

Meanwhile Metrocast apparently MUST increase rates:
While rate increases are never welcome, they are necessary in order to ensure that...

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

Re: Google Fiber

That would be awesome!
donalba

join:2011-08-26
King George, VA

MetroCast Constant Packet Loss

I am hoping that someone on this forum can help me. I have been experiencing loss of data from metro cast every 30 to 45 minutes for 3 to 4 minutes at a time since the last week in June. I am an avid gamer and my wife works several days a week out of the house and neither of us have been able to work or play since the internet keeps dropping out. For the last several weeks she has had to take her computer to Panera Bread to run her conferences.

When it first started happening I assumed that something was wrong or going bad on my end so I spent three weeks trying several things. I made sure all drivers were up to date, connected directly to the modem, tried 4 different computers running different operating systems, got a new network card, swapped out the modem etc… and no mater what I did the problem persisted. I called MetroCast and they sent out a technician. On his first visit he replaced all the ends on the cables and he said my downstream power level was a little high (7 dBmV) and put in something to bring it to -1 dBmV. This did not have any effect on the problem. On his second visit he rode up the street to check the connection at the first connection point and stated that all my levels are perfect and that he can not see anything that he can fix and that it would have to be elevated higher. He stated that he was having a meeting with the engineers the next morning and they would go over it. I waited one week and called in to see what they had done and noone had any clue what I was talking about. I was told to leave my number and they would have the engineer call me back but that was 3 weeks ago.

As a side note these problems started the exact same time that MetroCast upgraded the speeds in our area.

In the meantime I set up a script to run a trace route to MetroCast and google every 1 minute and ran it for several days. I discovered that the first connection point in MetroCast has 100% packet loss every 30 to 45 minutes causing our downtime. I provided all this information to MetroCast 2 weeks ago and have gotten nowhere. I ran a smokeping over the last 24 hours and you can see for yourselves

KS Smokeping

»/r3/smokeping.···erate%21

NY Smokeping

CA Smokeping

When this occurs I can ping my modem, I can ping the MetroCast side of the modem but I can not ping the first IP outside of that. I have been calling MetroCast to fix this over the last two months and have gotten nowhere. I have had MetroCast for the past 5 years and other than slow connections during peak times have not had any issues. Can someone please tell me if I am missing something on my side or how the hell I can get MetroCast to fix what I am paying for them to provide?

Thanks

Queque

@mycingular.net

Re: MetroCast Constant Packet Loss

Wish I could offer some help. But last night I could not play COD on the xbox. The connection kept dropping out after a few minutes.

It was fine before.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
I can't see anything in your examples. It just says waiting for ping data. Do you see packetloss on every hop after the first one when it happens or is it fine on the hops after?

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

UNH is on ESPN 3 tonight. But we don't get it

Gah! That's annoying. I could be watching UNH football on my Xbox or PC but NOOOO Metrocast isn't on the official ESPN3 list. Or HBOGO,...

I really hope this gets fixed.
howdys_saw

join:2008-03-20
Norwich, CT

Re: UNH is on ESPN 3 tonight. But we don't get it

I understand the UCONN game was on 3 as well. probably the 1st time I went looking for that channel. didn't realize it was online.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

Hard Drive crash..........I may exceed cap

restoring files using Carbonite.

Is there any way I can get dispensation if I exceed the cap this month ?

•••••

SoMD Sal

@metrocast.net

Internet Performance Very Slow

Lately (past month or so), web pages have been very slow loading. It is more noticeable in the evening, but even during the day (I work from home), it has been very slow at times. My tests reveal: Downstream SNR=38dB, Power Level=11dBmV, Upstream Power Level=30dBmV. Speedtest.net reflects Ping=13ms, Jitter=3ms, Download speed=9.69Mbps, Upload speed=0.49Mbps. Obviously, these numbers vary slightly during the day. Can any of the techs comment on these numbers or why some pages load so slowly at times it seems like dial-up. Possibly a node overloaded in my area or a problem at the head end? The lines to the house have all been replaced over the past few years.

•••
gwg66

Rochester, NH

i-Guide roll-out for Rochester, NH?...

Hi All,

Anyone have any insight into when the i-Guide transition scheduled for Late August but then delayed by Hurricane/TS Irene might be happening?

Thanks!

G

•••

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

No wireless eMTA 3.0 yet..

got this email when I asked about a wireless router with cable modem:

Thank you for your email. In order to request an upgrade to a wireless modem, we would need to speak with you by phone. The wireless DOCSIS 3.0 modem rental is $7.00/mo before tax. There is a one time installation fee of $99.95, which can be broken up over the first three bills if desired.

Ouch.
That's just for a wireless router/motorola cable modem..that's not the eMTA. I bet that one costs $300 to install. LOL

•••

tj218

@metrocast.net

Metrocast Basic cable, do I get HD channels via QAM (NH)

I am thinking about switching to Metrocast (I live in central NH) for basic cable service (I already have high-speed Internet with them).

I can't really get any channels w/o cable or satellite. But I am sick of paying all the little extra receiver fees from Directv and want to avoid it with Metrocast.

My TV has a QAM tuner. Their website says I can get them, the customer service rep says I have to get the Metrocast receiver to get them.

So.... Are the locals provided in HD via the QAM tuner or do I need to pay for the Metrocast equipment? I would like just the basic Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS in HD. I just want to connect the cable to the back of the TV, no extra boxes or anything.

Thanks

•••••••

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

WMUR 9.2

So, how does WMUR 9.2 come over QAM through coax, but Metrocast doesn't do it as an official channel?

I mean if it comes through coax, it's not a bandwidth thing, is it?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL

Re: WMUR 9.2

I believe its because i *think* they have to pass everything onto the plant, but their contract may not have to have that channel on the boxes.

Just like the previous thread about QAM channels, there are a bit that are not on the boxes (Qubo, ION Life, This Boston).

Is 9.2 on clear QAM now? I haven't had a chance to rescan.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Re: WMUR 9.2

It is NOT there now on 9.2 QAM. Just dead. Interesting.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

UVERSE does, MC doesn't Boo !!

ESPN3.com is streaming lots of sports (They have the WNBA finals up). They are carrying UCONN basketball's First Night on Friday. UVERSE subscribers can get the live (or later) action stream. Metrocasters can't

Hey Metrocast ! Do you understand how big UCONN (and other) sports are ? Think it over. Do you want to remain competitive?

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Re: UVERSE does, MC doesn't Boo !!

I agree. No HBOGO, no ESPN3...they are starting to make a decision very easy for me. DTV...
howdys_saw

join:2008-03-20
Norwich, CT

CSN

Does anyone know why in the fall you guys split channel 33, between Comcast SportsNet and MSG Rangers games? It's frustrating because the listings always have Comcast SportsNet programming but then it's interrupted by NY Rangers games. Can you put the Rangers on 37? that's blank most of the time.

••••••
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 40 · 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 ... 50 · 51 · 52 · next