dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
Metrocast Communications - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 · 47 ... 53 · 54 · 55 · next

DM31
@metrocast.net

DM31

Anon

Modem Levels

My Motorola 5120 modem readings are: Downstream SNR=38dB, Downstream Power Level=19 dBmV (should be 15 to -15; optimal 8 to -8), and Upstream Power Level=26 dBmV. Downstream power seems a little high, not sure what is causing that. It had been 14-15 dBmV until I recently ran a dedicated line from my outdoor box to the modem (RG-6) and removed all splitters and diplexers. My upstream power went from 36dBmv to 26 after I installed the dedicated line. Internet speeds are good (10MB download) but pages seem a little slow opening and completing. Should I be concerned about these readings?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Re: Modem Levels

Your levels were good before you ran those lines. If your ustream went from a 36 to a 26, chances are your downstream went from a 9 to a 19.

That downstream power is a little hot, and your upstream power is low. With it that low, the headend could have trouble deciphering your modems signal from the noise.

I would hook it back up the old way.

DM31
@metrocast.net

DM31

Anon

I separated my lines; one for cable modem directly to the cable box outside, the other a direct line to an HD satellite dish. I thought it would be better to have a direct line from the cable box to the modem without any splits? Also, I did that since DirecTV said they could not do HD with a diplexer to separate sat and cable. Tonight, my downstream is 22dBmV. Could it be anything in the outside box or on Metrocast end?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784 to DM31

to DM31
Well, if you have no splits or anything, that is pretty normal. Splits lower your downstream / raise your upstream. The levels coming from the line are high like what your seeing to make up for splits/line loss in the house.

DM31
@metrocast.net

DM31

Anon

So, nothing to worry about or call a tech out for?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to DM31

Premium Member

to DM31
I have the same setup in my house. The cable internet comes into the basement and I have it going to the cable modem directly. DirecTv comes into the house and into a SWM which splits the DirectTv so I only need one coax connection instead of two.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491

Speed test

No one was at work today due to well, school was closed. So I had the network to myself, I did a speed test and pretty much maxed the test out. Did an other and got the upload to 80.

Sure would be nice to have anything close to that here at MC

Chick
join:2000-12-27
Niantic, CT

Chick

Re: Speed test

said by billh491:

No one was at work today due to well, school was closed. So I had the network to myself, I did a speed test and pretty much maxed the test out. Did an other and got the upload to 80.

Sure would be nice to have anything close to that here at MC

Dream, Dream, Dream!
quantumred
join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to billh491

to billh491
A friend of mine, who has Cox, sent me this. Not bad for residential broadband. Very nice upload speed.

visitor
join:2001-07-26
South Windsor, CT
Nokia XS-010X-Q
MikroTik CCR2004-16g-2s+
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

visitor

Re: Speed test

Hey Bill... CEN will be coming through with new equipment over the next year or so. 10G backbone to the street and 1G Ethernet copper or fiber handoff. Should be able to push more than 100Mbps at that point as long as your firewall and network equipment is ready.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491

My office is on a 10+ old swtich so no gigabit but that should be an upgrade i talk to my boss about.
Reaulsor
join:2011-11-03
Sanford, ME

1 edit

Reaulsor

?

a

Jeff G
join:2001-07-31
Dayville, CT

Jeff G

Bill Up Again??

SO my new internet only bill now 50.27 modem rental now $5.00 time to buy my own. WHats the current model to get?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Re: Bill Up Again??

Go for a DOCSIS3.0 modem.....SB6121 or if you want better future proofing, the SBG6580. The 6121 supports 4 downstream channel bonding, the 6580 supports 8 channel bonding, so your set for a while if you get the 8 channel one. It is also a wireless-N modem.

Edit: I have no information on the Zoom D3 modems, other than I know other MSOs use them.
quantumred
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to Jeff G

to Jeff G
I have the SB6120 and it handles the max that Metrocast can offer.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 01UI2FPE

The newer model is the SB6121. Reading the comments on Amazon, I don't see a big improvement in the SB6121.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Re: Bill Up Again??

Only thing I have noticed is a different case.

They 6120 and 6121 even take the same firmware.

koan00
@metrocast.net

koan00 to Jeff G

Anon

to Jeff G
I opted for the 6121. Its the one that metrocast gives out for DOCSIS 3.0 (User Guide is available here: »metrocast.com/support_us ··· ides.cfm under the Internet Modems section)

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

No signal at all on Ch 403 in CT

I live in New London, and right now on chs 403 and 404 I get absolutely no signal at all. Just a black screen...

Peter_d4
@distributel.net

Peter_d4

Anon

Use as a TV Tuner...

I want to use this unit as a TV tuner. Most tv's dont have 2 cable inputs and I want to use both the outdoor tv antenna and cable. If I purchase this unit do I have to subscribe to TIVO?
Camper52
join:2004-02-20
Quaker Hill, CT

Camper52

VOIP Service

Does anyone use a VOIP service ?
If so, which ones ? How do you like them ?
Does any one use Phone Power ? If so, any comments ?
»www.phonepower.com/servi ··· ?pid=129

Chick
Niantic, CT

Chick

Re: VOIP Service

I have used Vonage for many years and think it is great. Check out paying by the year and if you take one of the limited use accounts remember calls to you, 800 calls, etc do not count towards the total. Unless you have teens in the house you will be amazed how little time you actually use.

If you have a power failure or a cable failure calls are automatically switched to your cell phone or any number of your choice.

Metrocast has their own VOIP service which many people seem to like as well. Check out the total cost though.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Camper52

Premium Member

to Camper52
I have used Vonage, Viatalk and Voipo with Metrocast and they all work well. You may have the occasional hiccup here and there but for the savings it's well worth it. Currently with Voipo for our main lines and they run some good promotions, with paying upfront for 2 years of service it averages out to be about $9 a month or so. I also have one line with Viatalk as well, they are monthly but great service also.

Chick
Niantic, CT

Chick to Camper52

to Camper52
]I forgot to mention another thing that is important to me is which companies have real 911 service that connect you directly to the dispatcher in your town and not a third party.
quantumred
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to Camper52

to Camper52
Another option, if you're technically oriented, is to get a VOIP phone, like this:
»www.amazon.com/Cisco-SPA ··· 086954_3
Note that these are not easy to set up.

And use sipgate:
»www.sipgate.com/

Although it looks like they aren't taking new customers right now due to lack of numbers. I use them and buy outgoing minutes. Incoming is free. Outgoing minutes never expire, so it's not like a monthly bill. As Chick said, they last a long time.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Layoffs in Waterford

Just saw on WTNH that there will be a dozen layoffs in the Waterford office.

Sorry to hear that guys, that sucks! I'm hoping you guys won't be out of work for long...

sph130
@metrocast.net

sph130

Anon

Upgraded Speed to 18mbs.. now just inching above 10mbs

I had 10mbs service getting 6mbs usually.. just upgraded to 18mbs and I'm only gett now 11mbs - feel like I should only be paying for the 10mbs at this speed. What gives?

Speed Test #99761635 by dslreports.com
Run: 2011-11-28 17:44:17 EST
Download: 11042 (Kbps)
Upload: 1851 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 1348 down 226 up
Tested by server: 60 java
User: 2 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: metrocast.net
sph130

sph130

Anon

Re: Upgraded Speed to 18mbs.. now just inching above 10mbs

Turned out to be an older modem. Funny thing is I new this - and I asked the tech support chat guy when I was thinking about getting the upgrade if I needed a new modem. He said no. Then I asked again when I called up to upgrade and the woman said no. I then spent last night running tests and chatted with tech support again and they moved my ticket to support tier 2 and they came back minutes later that I needed to upgrade my modem. My modem now is model SB5100 my older model was SB4200 (or SB4100 i don't exactly remember)

Hope this helps someone else..

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to sph130

to sph130
Ya as soon as I started reading your post I was thinking old modem.

sph130
@metrocast.net

sph130

Anon

Well i have the new modem. I got some good speeds maybe 10% of the times I test I get 17mb/s.. but most of the time i max out at 12mbs. How can they take your money for the 18mbs and then just occasionally give it to you, most of the time getting just barely over the middle tier 10mbs.

I think they should be law have to prorate your bill based on the speeds you actually get. Maybe it will make them want to ensure that those paying the premium get the actual speed they are paying for. I'm giving it until the speed increase in nh and if nothing changes its not worth paying for the higher speed.
quantumred
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to sph130

to sph130
It does seem they have weak areas. I remember years ago, my area was terrible in prime time (evenings). Now it's pretty consistent. This was taken a little after 8pm.

N3CAL
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

I've had the 18/2 service for about a year now and untill recently it's been pretty good. The last two weeks there has been problems. I've noticed drops in download speeds.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

NH Pricing is going up

I received our annual holiday present today from Metrocast.

The VIP Package I have is going up $5.00/mo, and HBO is going up $1.00/mo.

On the bright side, your first 2 cable cards are now FREE (previously $2.95/mo per card) and cable card 3+ are now $1.95 each / mo.

They are getting a multi room DVR ($9.95 / mo + $11.95 for each receiver)

Cable High Speed Ultra internet is going to 25MB down and 2 up (yay)

We are getting a few new HD channels: MLB network HD, Spike TV HD, Comedy Central HD (finally), Tru TV HD (Great, now I can watch cops from 1990 in HD - not), Nick HD also.

No Fox Soccer HD, HBOGO, or WatchESPN.

•••••••••••
papi4baby
join:2008-01-19
Callaway, MD

papi4baby

New speeds and more HD

Just got a letter, about new speeds.

Looks like the gamer is going to 25/2
High speed 12/1 (1 up finally).

Didn't read about the HD channels getting added.

I might actually upgrade to gamer speed for 25/2.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn

Premium Member

Metrocast NH is on Facebook

»www.facebook.com/MetroCastNH

According to them, HBOGo is coming 1Q 2012...but I'll believe it when I see it.

Then again, they say an Arris TOM502 supports DOCSIS 3.0...and it doesn't :

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem HW_REV: 02
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 5.01
SW_REV: 6.1.72
MODEL: TM502G

So, your mileage may vary...

••••••••
chess1
join:2009-09-03
California, MD

chess1

So i have heard

Mcast in MD will be having 25 meg down and 2 meg up starting....

Jan 1....

••••••••••••

Joe
@metrocast.net

Joe

Anon

Bandwidth cap?

With the higher speeds rolling out in 2012, will the bandwidth caps also be going up for the residential subscribers?

Did Metrocast ever come out with a way for their subscribers to check their usage online?

••••••

Gram
@rr.com

Gram

Anon

Fox WPFO

I am a Metrocast customer in Shapleigh. To get sound with the picture, I watch channels 6, 8 and 13 at 6.1, 8.1, and 13.1, but there's no "point-one" available for WPFO (channel 17), hence, I have no sound.
What's going on, and what should I do?
Thanks

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Re: Fox WPFO

WPFO is Fox23, so you should be able to watch it via 23.1

PSIP (virtual channels) from broadcasters must be passed through, so even though it shows up channel 17 on the guide and analog, the clear QAM should be passed through as 23.1

If you try typing in 23.1 directly and it doesn't go, do a channel scan, and it should show up after that.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491

Which modem to buy

So I have a bunch of Christmas cash and plan to use it to upgrade my home network to take best advantage of the impending speed increase to 25/2.

Right now I have the cable coming in to the house and in to a two way splitter one goes to a second three way that then goes to my two HD PVRs the other is a home run to my eMTA Docsis 2 phone/Internet modem. The signal is not strong enough to split it again and install a Docsis 3 modem.

So my plan is to buy a modem and place it in the basement and connect it to one leg of the first splitter and move the eMTA to the third leg of the second splitter.

For the MC techs here am I right if I am only running my phones off the eMTA the lower quality signal due to it now being on the second splitter will not be a problem?

Next I am buying a router that has 10/100/1000 ports on both the Wan and Lan and will be placed in the basement near the new modem. Then cat5 will run to my main wireless router upstairs. So at that point I will be Gigabyte everywhere.

BTW the reason for the router in the basement is as of right now I have an old 10 only router down there feeding my Roku and I sometimes work on virus infected computers down there and that keeps them off the main network.

So do I save 5 bucks and buy the Motorola SB6120 or do I go with the Motorola SB6121 because it is well one better?

••••••••••
chess1
join:2009-09-03
California, MD

chess1

issues with xbox live ??

has anyone ran into any issues with connecting to xbox live ??

I am having issues now, have never had them before...

just curious

•••

Saul
@metrocast.net

Saul

Anon

RI Channels

Very disappointed to see WPRI, WJAR, and WLNE are being dropped.
rkrenicki
join:2002-04-10
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki

Re: RI Channels

There are no current plans to drop WJAR as of right now, but I would not be too surprised to see it go as well sometime this year.

Unfortunately, now-a-days cable companies pay for the right to re-transmit over-the-air broadcasters, and there is no point in paying twice for what is basically the same content, which would in turn end up increasing the price of Limited Basic even higher than it is now.

Joey Stefano
@sbcglobal.net

Joey Stefano

Anon

TiVo help thread. No Guide info/No TRUTV. Am I the only one?

Okay, I called them (chat service is not available in my area). First, I got a nice lady. She flashed my card, or what-ever. No change, meaning missing line-up of COM,MTV,& NIK. No TRU mentioned at all on the line-up. She suggested someone to be called out. I told her I would talk to TiVo before she sends someone.

I remember this when USAHD, etc. were added last year. I don't remember how I fixed it. No one had to come out.

On chance, I took the guided setup on TiVo. No Dice. I then reset the box. Nope.

I called MC, one more time. Since I reset the box, I thought they might be able to do something. I got some dude who says there is something about my "Quad Tuner"(QAM?), and I need a free converter. He read a memo about it. He said it effected Speed Chan. too. I get Speed fine. He told me TRUTV is not going HD in my area. I read to him from the web post. He them told me to call TiVo. I will tomorrow. Since he really did not help me much, I want to call support again. I won't post his name, but DERP!

I thought perhaps some of my fellow TiVo fans can help me with this one? Thank you in advance.

Happy New Year,
Mark

•••••••••••••••••••
govisland
join:2002-12-10
East Lyme, CT

1 edit

govisland

Basic Cablecard Questions. Metrocast doesn't know.

Well I am at the point of exasperation. Have been considering installing a Cablecard capable PVR (Hauppauge DCR 2650 or HDHomeRun HDHR 3). I have called Metrocast's customer service 4 times for information (was cut off twice while they tried to transfer me to Internet Support). Customer service was unable to answer basic questions and kept referring me to Internet Support, who also was not able to help. A Google search provides nothing for Metrocast and Cablecards. Metrocast's own site only mentions the word cablecard once or twice and that's in their terms of service.

Has anyone experience with setting up a PVR with a cable card? Is it possible? Does Metrocast utilize Switched Digital Video (SDV)? Do I need a tuning adapter? I presume they use M Cablecards. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

••••••••
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 · 47 ... 53 · 54 · 55 · next