site
spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

forum logo About
Metrocast Communications - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 44 · 45 · 46 · 47 · 48 · 49 · 50 · 51 · 52 · next

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Boost in upload speeds?

Been seeing upload speeds in CT jumping up around 3.6 Mbps. Anyone else?

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT

Re: Boost in upload speeds?

2.4 range in my test on speedtest.net

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Hmm, 3.67, 3.66, 3.64 here on speedtest to Boston on the Towerstream server.
NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH
Yeah, I've noticed jumps to 2.4 and 2.5 or so on the upload. After some investigating, it turns out that a lot of customers complained about only getting 90% or so of their rated speed, so when Metrocast rolled out the new speeds...they "bumped" them up a little bit more. I also heard they are experimenting with a "PowerBoost" feature, similar to what Comcast offers. This would explain the "spikes" on both the upload and download.

Wow! ptrowski! 3.67... haven't seen my upload jump that high (that's awesome though!). However, I have seen my download spike to 29.5Mbps before settling down around 26 or so (I have the 25/2 tier).

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Mayb it is an iPhone speedtest.net app issue as it doesn't seem to happen when wired. I bought a new Asus router and haven't tweaked the settings too much.

Rtomo

@metrocast.net

I wish they would increase the upload speeds slightly. I like to stream online gaming and 2mb upload is a decent speed, but not adequate for flawless 720p.
quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

3 edits

Metrocast Broadband Down Aug 25

[UPDATE @4PM]Service appears to be working again in CT. It might help to reboot your modem.

Internet service is down in CT. If you can get here via some other internet service, post your experience. Let us know if you have service, or if you were able to contact customer support.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT

Re: Metrocast Broadband Down Aug 25

It is dead here in Putnam no phone tv is ok. I called all customer service is unreachable. They must have failed hard maybe a cut line do to someone not calling the dig number first.

Eagle inc

@mycingular.net
Currently down in Montville CT.
govisland

join:2002-12-10
East Lyme, CT
I got through to their recording on 888-339-3605. They are reporting a severe outage on all Ct Metrocast internet and phone service. The local Metrocast number 860 442 8525 is out of service also.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT
From the other thread:
said by Nyteroad:

I'm on the phone with tech support right now and according to him the whole state is out and it's not their fault... Something about the signal from Boston to CT and they don't have a eta on a fix since they are working with other companies..

I hope the comment about no ETA is not something ominous. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Seems to be working here in Putnam.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

Still not working here. Modem keeps trying to sync.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Take that back. Tried on my nook tablet and it's not connecting.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

I tried rebooting my modem as a random shot in the dark, and it connected. It was previously looping and trying to sync. Maybe it was a coincidence. We'll see if it stays connected.
quantumred

East Lyme, CT

I'm definitely back online. I rebooted my modem based on ptrowski's comment, and it connected after that. FYI, I had rebooted earlier in the day and it did not help.

Rak

@myvzw.com
Down hard in waterford

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Rebooted everything, working here again.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
I went and mowed the lawn and hung out in the pool when I came back it was working for me.
mangurian

join:2006-09-02
East Lyme, CT

What added HD chans will I get with a DVR and Enhanced Basic

Right now, my cable goes directly to my SONY TV.
The only HD channels I get are for local broadcast channels.

If I add a DVR and nothing else, what additional HD channels will I get?

The$17/month is also a major concern. I may be forced to a UVERSE 12 month deal. My brother-in-law in Trumbull only pays $10/month for his DVR.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

Is setup easy. How do you like it ?

Thanks

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

I have 3 Tivos -- 2 Premieres, and one Series 3.

All 3 have "M" cable cards. The Premiere XL has 4 (!) tuners, the other Premier has 2 and the S3 has 2.

You have to have someone come out and install the card, at least in NH. They seem to have it down by now, they call a Metrocast only number, give them the card ID and send a signal and voila it's up and running.

In NH, they give you 2 cable cards free and then any after that is $1.95 a month.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

Icedcorn.......Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

Did you go for the lifetime subscription or monthly ?

I take it the cable card plugs into the TIVO ?

How is the TIVO better than the Metrocast DVR ?

thanks,

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Re: Icedcorn.......Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

I have lifetime subscriptions on all of my TiVos.

Yes the cable card plugs right into the back of the Tivo, but you need a truck roll at least in NH to get it operational. I don't think you really need it because all the tech did was call a number and read the screen.

The TiVo interface is much better than the Metrocast DVR. You can do things like wishlists -- record anything that has "redsox" in it, etc.

With 2 or more Premieres you can watch a show on one tivo from another one.

You can use your iPhone or iPad as a remote. You can watch YouTube and Amazon on Demand (but not Prime yet ).

Tivo is releasing a new item next week (sept 12) that is called TivoStream that will let you watch anything on your Tivo box from your iPad/iPhone. I do this now with a Slingbox but it's great that Tivo has their own.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

TIVO ve MC DVR

Metrocast DVR compared to TIVO:
- No manual (not a biggie).
- ethernet port is deliberately non-functional, so no network.
- Can't add storage
- About 1/3 recording time of a TIVO
- No tablet/smartphone connectivity.
- Inferior playback control (FF/FR speeds)
comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

You do not HAVE to have someone Install the M Card. It is against FCC Rules now. You can do a self install
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

great......Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

I now have a working MC DVR. First 2 units had problems. Third box was newer and is working fine. If it weren't for the disabled ethernet, inability to add an external drive, and the smaller HD, I would stick with it. I don't know what the cable companies are thinking. Every customer who goes to a TIVO box to get these extras costs them $16.99 a month.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Re: great......Re: Anyone using a TIVO with MC?

Anyone try their Multi room DVR? Looks cool but seems insanely expensive. 3 rooms is like $45/mo...

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
I second everything IcedCorn has said. I LOVE my Premier XL, I wouldn't be without it!

I would add that you can also use Android devices as remotes. But I bought a Slide Bluetooth remote, I think that's a better option.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Any techs on here in NH?

Im having an issue with one of my cablecards.

On one of my TiVos, i cant get 279,278,277,276,275,273 (274 does come in)

I called support and they said they sent a re-pair signal to the cable card and a refresh, but they say both failed.

Im not sure i had the right screen on, and now they issued a truck roll for Tuesday (ugh)
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as i dread giving up 3hrs work time if it is something besides replace the cablecard...
All other channels besides above, 263, and 223 work (including hbo) so i am stumped.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

comments on MC DVR

The Good
- picked one up today.
- they let me hook it up myself
- No audio so I called a super responsive tech -thanks
- MC replaced with a working unit

The Not So Good
- No manual (not a biggie).
- Some desirable functions are crippled.
Does anyone know if any of the extra I/O ports work ?
(USB, firewire, RCA, s-video)
- ethernet port is deliberately non-functional, so no network.

Shortsighted in an attempt to stop customers from cutting the video cord? I think. MC will only survive if they maintain customer loyalty. Eventually, I want a TIVO. I want my box to access my PC media and to give me Netflix, Hulu, etc. I can get these functions with a TIVO for $4 less/month. TIVO Premiers can be found for $100.
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

Re: comments on MC DVR

Forgot to mention: Has a small hard drive. This was a surprise.
You can't record much high def. Has anyone tried an external drive (USB port)? I am guessing you can't add one ?
chess1

join:2009-09-03
California, MD

Metrocast Strike 1 ?

I guess somehow someone was running BT on my network....
Granted I dont use BT but they said someone was on my IP downloading and sharing mp3s for about a month...

They killed my connection.... any thoughts on this ? I am back online and running smoothly...

Cheers

•••
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

M cable card

Can I simply take the cable card from my MC DVR and use it to test a TIVO ?

It seems as though all the interface info to connect to MC must be in the card. Is that true ?
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

Re: M cable card

Learned that you have to call MC so I assume they tie the card to the specific device.

NotHappy

@worldpath.net

YouTube Not playing

So i can get full internet. I can get to any site including Video sites like Hulu or vevo and i can play videos all day, but when i get to YouTube i can see the thumbnails but can't play any of the videos. I tried 3 different devices and same issue. I called support and they said it was my wireless router. I bypassed the router and went directly to my Modem, still the same issue. I know it's not an issue with Youtube as i can watch it no problem via 3G on my phone and a buddy with comcast can watch it as well. Posted on their facebook wall asking customers if they experienced the same issue and they deleted my post. What's going on?

••••••••••

DRSStMarys

@metrocast.net

Some HD Channels Changed Aspect Ratio

I have expanded basic in St Marys County Maryland, and have a 2 year old 54 inch Samsung plasma tv. Until recently the HD local channels have worked ok. About 2 weeks ago 2 channels (WCR & WUSA) are still HD but are no longer 16:9, they are now 4:3. The other HD local channels are still ok. Also, supposedly they have added a new channel (62) but it doesnt show up when I try to go to it. I have called MC and they tell me there are no problems and that channel 62 is there. Since I dont have a DVR I tuner I tune using the digital channel, 105.3 is WTTG for example. When I ask about the two channels mentioned above by referencing the digital channel numbers I am told I don't know what I'm talking about. Frustrating to say the least.

Can anyone offer any assistance?
Craig

join:2006-01-22
Lexington Park, MD

Re: Some HD Channels Changed Aspect Ratio

I just checked my TV without a box. It seems to be OK. 101-2, 101-3, 105-3 etc, are all full screen HD.

Maybe a power outage or transient reset some settings on the TV? I'm pretty sure that my Samsung plasma has a 16:9 and 4:3 setting.

Atl31

@metrocast.net

Downstream Power Levels

Having issues with pages loading slowly...very slowly at times. This is just recent. Here are specifics:

Download: 26.42Mbps
Upload: 2.43Mbps
Ping: 28ms
Jitter: 1ms
Packet Loss: 0

Modem: Motorola SB6121
Router: Netgear Wireless N

Downstream:
STN Ratio: 37dB 38dB 37dB 38dB
Power Levels: 16dBmv 17dBmv 14dBmv 14dBmv

Upstream:
Power Level: 33dBmv

I have a dedicated RG6 line from street box to wall and direct to SB-6121 modem. All recently new.

Just curious as to why things suddenly slowing down. Some pages open fairly quickly, other time I get a blank page or just a banner, etc. If I refresh, then it opens. You would think that with those speedtest & pingtest numbers I would be blazing along.

I am thinking that maybe downstream power levels could be lower?

••••••••

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT

LTE speeds WOW

So I am sitting at a Cumby's off I 287 in NJ near the NY line. And while some one is pumping 3.739 gas in to my car. Yes over 30 cents less then our self serve. I saw that I was on LTE on my new iPhone so knowing I was not in a very busy area I wondered what kind of speeds I would get. 34/19 Would like to have this speed at home as what is the point when your cap is 2 gigs.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

Re: LTE speeds WOW

And it is illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey. My neighbor came up and had to look for full service stations because she never pumped gas before.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
Having pumped my own gas for over 35 years it is galling to have to sit there and wait while one guy tries to file 5 car. But I could live with it in the winter I guess.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

HBO GO In Beta

Did anyone notice that Metrocast is now running HBO GO in Beta?
You do have to create an account from the portal (ie the email address should be @portal.metrocast.net.

But it works. And it's on Roku!
mangurian

East Lyme, CT

help - TIVO addict

I have had my TIVO for only two weeks and it's chewing up all my spare time. It's too easy to find shows to record and I am becoming a super couch potato. Love it.
Master35

join:2012-11-20
Weatherly, PA

Re: help - TIVO addict

Check this out you'll love it!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=akl3I5tYy2g

Hevi

@metrocast.net

Terrible speeds in Northeast PA

I've never had any problems till about a week ago. I pay for 25 down and that's what I usually got maybe it would slow down a bit around primetime but never like it has been. I get about 2-3 down and 2 up and I pay for 25/2. Anyone else having this problem in PA?

•••••••••••••••••

justsomeguy

@metrocast.net

I wish they would upgrade their lines...

Or at least let comcast buy them out... not having fiber plans makes gaming hard. I only have 7mbps down and 1.5 tops upload and my friend pays for basic net and gets 50 down and 25mbps upload... it is kind of sad that this is the best they can offer.

Their internet is sub-par compared to most because they don't use fiber and offer horrible upload ratios and modestly low download even for gamer packages. They are just the only people serving my area

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: I wish they would upgrade their lines...

There is no reason that would not work for gaming, just an FYI. You may not be able to host huge sessions yourself but that's not bad.

Where do you live?

Grunge_Audit

join:2007-12-05
Typically a low ping is what hard core gamers are searching for. You have enough speed. Check your ping rates.

Kill the WiFi devices any anything else other on the LAN other then your gaming PC/console and you should see better results.
--
Where is that marketing manager when you need him? -GA
cybersleuth5

join:2012-11-16

What't the deal with download speeds in Barnstead/Alton area

The broadband is really slow. I have high speed basic. As a gamer I am always aware of speeds. My package should be providing dl speeds up to 12 mbps. I have been running tests the past few days and I am seeing speeds between 1.0 and 2.4 mbps. That's a problem since files I need are taking hours rather than minutes. What's the deal?
NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

Re: What't the deal with download speeds in Barnstead/Alton area

Ouch! Those are some low numbers. Is this happening all the time or just during peak hours? If so, more than likely the node (s) in your town are saturated (common problem with Metrocast, not enough bandwidth to go around especially when everyone is on). Also, what modem are you running?

Oh, and welcome to DSLReports!

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Metrocast has just wired my community ...

What does it cost me for them to run a cable to my house?
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

••••
Master35

join:2012-11-20
Weatherly, PA

Weatherly Area Speeds

Hello Everyone,

New to DSLReports.

Anyone know how good the speeds are in the Weatherly area?

Taking the Metro Cast High Speed service.

Thanks!

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

Got the annual rate increase letter

Today I received in the mail the annual "we're increasing your monthly rate $7 a month, but we are increasing your internet speed to 35Mbps x 2" letter.

Two new channels:
Jewish Broadcasting Network
and
WGBH PBS 2 (SD only WTF)

I wouldn't mind this if we had all of the ondemand viewing that pretty much everyone else has. ESPN3 anyone? SHoGo? At least we do have HBOGo....

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••