dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
Knology - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 18 · 19 · 20 · next

conmal

@knology.net

yes i like the knology

and for about only almost 29.95 american dollar i am very much like the knology a lot ! it also costes not too very much of the money as well ! i have very many good time because the knologys keep internet always on ! tetnical help also very good and provide many ufesul number to call on the knology tele-phone device and always say 'hallo welcome to the knology' and begin to help ! other company (i am NOT reporduce name here on this note) say to me always only "mister, have you re-boote modem yet ? have you re-boote modem yet mister ? we have no help for the wrodperfect program mister ! goodbye !" so i like knology very much ! friendly !

penguin356
Premium
join:2001-02-01
Somewhere
kudos:1

Re: yes i like the knology

Yes!!! We finally have our own Forum. I love my connection too. It's always super fast and very, very stable.

TheGiant
Sup

join:2001-03-28
Elizabethtown, KY
How is the Tv part as good as the Internet?

Cop
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Auburn, AL

Re: yes i like the knology

The TV is great! I have Digital through knology and it couldnt be better. I have never had a outage with the Digital cable. Cable with knology is a A+ also!
--
BBR IS GAY!!! GAY CHANGES!!!

Montezuma58

join:2000-08-18
Madison, AL
Definitely an A+ on the internet. The digital cable is great. Be sure to get the Scientific Atlanta 2200 instead of the 2000 though. I've had reliability problems with the 2000. The 2200 works great. They really need to offer high definition soon or I might just switch to satellite for TV (hint to any Knology people that read this).

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Finally The Knology Forums is here!

After many months of waiting for knology to sign up with BBR finally it has happened! If any one has any tech questions iam more then happy to help as i have many friends that work at knology.

Thanks
Scott
--
BBR IS GAY!!! GAY CHANGES!!!

Zrat123
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Montgomery, AL

Re: Finally The Knology Forums is here!

Scott as you know I have been having problems with my speed
The tech ( who was super nice) informed me he thought it might be in the Hub is the reason I can get fast speeds than slow speed . Everytime they come out Im seem to be getting good speed so I hope they get it fixed. Thanks for the Knology Forum.

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

This use to happen to me. Iam not sure exactly what they did to fix it. They might of fixed some equipment at their local office. I'll look into this for you.

Thanks
Scott

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

Thanks Scott, right now my speed is fine, I just hope it stays. I need to buy a modem and turn this one in I am paying rent own . Do you know much about the Motorola
Cable modem? I notice circuit city was selling for 99.00 plus a 30.00 Rebate . Any Suggestions? Thanks again. Tom
bfrye

join:2002-03-12
West Point, GA

Good modem.

penguin356
Premium
Somewhere
Did you guys notice any speed drops last night? My connection started crawling last night around 9:30 PM.

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

I wasnt on last night so I dont know, But today is terribe
I just called tech support again, my speed is slow again,
Suppose to be here tomorrow from 5 to 8 Pm.

Tom

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

1435 / 0 gee, I just cant figure this out, Download 1435 and upload 0 .Test from knology Test page. just dont make any sense what is going on.???

penguin356
Premium
Somewhere
2003-02-05 19:12:27 EST: 1186 / 216
Your download speed : 1186100 bps, or 1186 kbps.
A 144.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 216567 bps, or 216 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Mine is defiantly better tonight.

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

Hey Scott
I called knology again today, because the Tech last night, the Same one that came out Monday informed the office to send somone out here Wed. to check
the Hub.The Tech said it would take a bucket truck to check the hub. Well last night Thur. The same Tech said he would report it again . Im still waiting , Now Tech Support says if no one calls by 6Pm call back and report the problem. Is there anyway to get this problem fixed, sounds like all im getting in the run around. Thanks

Tom

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

said by Zrat123:
sounds like all im getting in the run around. Thanks

Tom
Yes sounds that way. There isnt realy a way to avoid this. Usally knology is pretty at getting out and getting the problem fixed. Just keep calling and they will get it straightened out.

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Also, the Motorola surfboard is one of the best cable modems. Just make sure knology supports it and then your good to go. Awesome modem

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

Thanks Scott, Im still wating for knology to fixed the
problem.

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

Well Scott , the Tech got here and everything was working fine. Every time they come its works great. Got me Puzzle
Tech said just wait for it to happen again and call back.
They did fixed the Hub this morning .

Take Care and Thanks

Tom

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL
Same old song, speed is down again the upload anyway.
Call Tech and they said someone would be here Friday,
If they dont fixed it this time Im dropping Cable, Phone
internet and trying Charter. O well I think I given Knology
enough times to fix it anyway. Im still paying so sorry knology but thats life .

Tom

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Well every ISP will have thease issues. Hope you have better luck with charter if you do switch.

Scott

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

I stay with knology so far. Tech came out
yesterday and informed me it was a outside Problem, Working
Great so far but this has happen before. Tech said if someone is stealing cable it would cause my internet to be slow at times. Have you ever heard of this . Anyway Thanks
for the help.

Tom

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Yes Zrat. Here in Huntsville there is a little part in the Huntsville Times that cable companys pay for. For they find people dishing of cable from their lines they are put in the papers to warn other cable companys. But about your issue, there could be someone tapping in also. We in Huntsville havnt had to much trouble with this but it pops up every once in a while. If your cable drops again let me know and i might be cable to call down to their office and discuss it.

Scott

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL
Ihe Tech: said there was a leakage in the line but they got it fixed, whoopee , I just glad they found the Problem.
Thanks Scott and everyone else for their Help.

Tom

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Thats what we are here for.

Scott
Knology Tech
KJOINER

join:2002-11-12
Columbus, GA

Should I Change?

I am currently a Bellsouth DSL customer, but they have ticked me off for the last time with none DSL issues. How can a company screw a phone bill up that much that often? I know that with cable modems, you can have speed loss issues at peak times because of shared bandwith. How bad is it? How good is Knology at providing support for billing issues? Would you recommend Knology?

penguin356
Premium
Somewhere

Re: Should I Change?

Switch. You will not regret it!!!

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Re: Should I Change?

First off knology is great just like penguin said. Never ever had a problem with the billing. They even offer online billing so you can pay with your credit card or many other options. The bandwith loss at peak times usally isnt bad at all. Plus the prices for knology are great. For the 2 years ive had knology phone, tv, net and its been great. I even get 20 bucks off on my net just because i have tv and phone with them.

Scott

SeminoleRob

join:2001-12-19
Panama City, FL

Patch

Are there any good speedpatches or tweaks for Knology?

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Re: Patch

I do not recemend any "speedpatchs" but i do recemend going over to the tweak forum and asking over there. They can get you tweaked up the best there.

Scott

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Re: Patch

Forgot to give ya the direct link

»Broadband Tweaks

Thanks - Scott
Knology Tech Support

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Your Offical Tech is here!

I was just hired by Knology to be a tech support man here at BBR. Tommorw training starts at their local building.

Looking forward to serving you
Scott

••••

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Problems With Upstream Provider Cogent

Problems With Upstream Provider Cogent

Knology high-speed data customers may see slower than normal service due to upstream provider Cogent's problems with routers in Washington DC and Atlanta. Cogent is working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Thank You, Scott
Knology Tech Support

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

Re: Problems With Upstream Provider Cogent

Thanks, Scott good information to know about appreciate it.

Tom

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Intermittent Issue With Mail Sent To AOL or ....

Intermittent Issue With Mail Sent To AOL or CompuServe

Due to intermittent issues on AOL's end with some (not all) of their incoming mail servers, email sent to AOL or CompuServe may not always arrive.

Due to intermittent issues on AOL's end with some (not all) of their incoming mail servers, email sent to AOL or COmpuServe may not always arrive. We have made AOL aware of the issue and opened a ticket with them; it may take them between 24-48 hours to correct the issue.

Thanks, Scott
Knology Tech Support
quantum_ion

join:2003-04-16
Niceville, FL

Re: Intermittent Issue With Mail Sent To AOL or ....

»yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=···&tid=120

Seems AOL isn't accepting mail from Broadband Users

Montezuma58

Madison, AL

Re: Intermittent Issue With Mail Sent To AOL or ....

said by quantum_ion:
»yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=···&tid=120

Seems AOL isn't accepting mail from Broadband Users
Your assessment is a bit misleading. It won't affect most broadband users since most of them will just be using their ISP's SMTP server. What they are blocking is mail from people running SMTP servers in their home. Apparently they have been having problems with spammers using mail servers on residential broadband lines. This might cause problems if AOL misidentifies your ISPs SMTP server as being on a residential line which really would not surprise me if that happens fairly often.

GreatPumpkin

join:2003-01-24
Knoxville, TN

Possible Customer

Hi!
I am moving back to Knoxville, TN soon and I'm wondering about the Knology service. I currently use Bellsouth DSL and have used it in the past when I lived in Knoxville before. The service has been good but want to check my options.
My biggest concerns are stability and latency. If one of you could post a trace route to DSLreports.com and/or let me know how stable connections are that would be helpful.
Thanks.
GP

••••••••••••

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Planned Maintenance Monday March 3,6,10th

--------------------
Planned Maintenance For Augusta GA Monday March 3 2003

Monday morning, March 3 2003, between 12:01am ET and 6:00am ET, Knology will perform routine maintenance that will briefly disrupt internet connectivity for all Augusta Ga. high-speed data customers. Knology appreciates your patience.
--------------------
Planned Maintenance For Charleston SC Thursday March 6 2003

Thursday morning, March 6 2003, between 12:01am ET and 6:00am ET, Knology will perform routine maintenance that will briefly disrupt internet connectivity for all Charleston SC high-speed data customers. Knology appreciates your patience.
--------------------
Planned Maintenance For Columbus GA Monday March 10 2003

Monday morning, March 10 2003, between 12:01am ET and 6:00am ET, Knology will perform routine maintenance that will briefly disrupt internet connectivity for all Columbus Ga. high-speed data customers. Knology appreciates your patience.
-------------------
--
gone

•••••••

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Panama City FL / Isolated Areas / Brief, Sporadic

Isolated areas of Panama City FL are experiencing brief and sporadic disruptions of internet service.
Isolated areas of Panama City FL are experiencing brief and sporadic disruptions of internet service. Knology is aware of the issue and will have full service restored as quickly as possible.

Thanks
Cop
Knology Tech
easy4mike

join:2003-03-29
Panama City, FL

need help in Panama City

Hi,
I'm in Panama City and I just switched to knology from earthlink dial-up. Broadband is great except for one problem. When I send messages to friends at other accounts (aol, mil, comcast, yahoo etc.) they never ever get there, even when I hit reply (their accounts are not blocked).
However, I can send me messages to knology accounts. I sent a message to Knology tech support and they received it. They gave me a yahoo and aol account to send it to and oddly enough, they received it (I suspect because they were still going through knology).
I have a Mac G-4 running Jaguar and I'm using Mac's Mail program.
Thanks
easy4mike

join:2003-03-29
Panama City, FL

Knology and mac's mail program

I'm in Panama City and I just switched to knology from earthlink dial-up. Broadband is great except for one problem. I can receive mail, but when I send messages to friends at other accounts (aol, mil, comcast, yahoo etc.) from mac's mail program they never ever get there, even when I hit reply (accounts have been checked and are not blocked).
I can, however, send messages to knology accounts. I sent a message to Knology tech support and they received it. They gave me a yahoo and aol account to send it to and oddly enough, they received it (I suspect because they were still going through knology). I discovered last night that if I go to knology web mail, I can send with no problems. My question is, how can I send mail from the mac's mail program?
I have a Mac G-4 running OS X.

Thanks

» | | 2003-03-29 23:54:31 | | | Print

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Re: Knology and mac's mail program

Iam not very familar with macs so I would recemend callin up knology support at 215-1000. They are pretty good compared to many other tech supports and will help you out with your problem.
DavidZC

join:2000-12-04
Knoxville, TN

New Knology customer in Knoxvegas

I just signed up for Knology at my new house that we move into on the April 12th and I'm hoping that it can be better than my BS DSL was. I'm not complaining about my DSL (especially because I am about 100ft from a DSLAM), but it would be nice to get faster than my 1.5 that I am currently on for about the same price. I'm excited about getting it. Most reviews I have read have been good too so I'm looking for to it.

•••
hifidelity

join:2003-04-03
Columbus, GA

Cogent Filing BK?

Cop, have you heard anything about Cogent filing for Bankruptcy protection? I heard they couldn't make good on their debts to Cisco and were going to file BK if Cisco doesn't extend their payment window. Does Knology have backup providers if this happens?

••••••••
DavidZC

Knoxville, TN

knology service

This isn't exactly to do with their internet service but as I will be getting a bundled package I would like to know what kind of digital set they bring. The install is scheduled for tomorrow. Do their boxes have component output or S video for video and optical for sound? I would guess that they do. If not, can you request a box that has these? A buddy of mine has comcast and he just had to request the box with composite and optical outputs for no extra charge. I'm going to be disappointed if I only get more channels for digital cable.....kinda defeats the purpose of digital cable doesn't it?

••••••••••
DavidZC

Knoxville, TN

knology and linksys befsx41

I have a linksys befsx41 connected to my knology cable modem and have found that I need to release/renew on the router every so often for the service to work again. Anyone else had this problem?

•••••••••••••
DavidZC

Knoxville, TN

3com home connect modem

How come I can't find any information about the 3com Home connect modem that Knology gave me? 3com doesn't even list it on their site.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Stab West

@68.16.x.x

Questions on internet connection sharing

I will be getting Knology's cable internet service on Monday and I was wondering what equipment I would need to share my connection with another computer, or network, and how I should go about setting them up to share my connection. Also I would like to know about how to keep my network secure from hackers, should I use a cable router with a built in firewall, use a software firewall (any recommendations would be helpfull), or use both, and how do I set them up?

Also does anyone know if Knology would support this sharing of my connection, or would they want me to pay for another connection?

Montezuma58

Madison, AL

Re: Questions on internet connection sharing

I'm using a broadband router with a firewall. This is what I'm using and what I would recomend. It will be the easiest to use and set up. You can use one IP address for all of your machines so you won't incurr any extra charges. You might have to let the tech install the modem on one machine then set the router up yourself later. You might not get support from Knology for such a device so you might have to hook up your computer straight to your cable modem if you have to call tech support.

You can use a simple switch or hub between the cable modem and network but then you will need a unique IP address for each computer and they will charge extra for each address. Plus you would have to set up more security on each computer.

I would suggest you check out the networking and security forums for more more detailed advice and up to date info on equipment and software. There is not really anything unique to Knology with these issues. You might also want to look at software such as ZoneAlarm for additional security. These programs can control which programs on your computer can send out information, this is useful for keeping spyware from sending out info you don't want to get out.
»Security
»Networking

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Re: Questions on internet connection sharing

A broadband router with a firewall is the way to go. There are many out there but the price rages vary. Zone Alarm is a great program that is free for computers. Available at »www.zonealarm.com . Knology will have to install the modem and register it then you will have to hook the modem up your self. Routers are allowed but there is no tech support through knology for router issues.

Thanks, Scott
Knology Tech Support

Zrat123
Premium
Montgomery, AL

Knology in Montgomery Al

My cable here has been doing very good. I just want to Thank Everyone again who help with my problem and they know who they are. Just installed a all in one card so now I watch TV on my computer if I want to, why something I always read about but never had. I tried MSN Gaming and enjoyed it but kept getting a lot of virus so I uninstall.
Be careful with these programs and search engines for mp3s.
Take Care.

Tom

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Re: Knology in Montgomery Al

Glad your a happy man.

Scott
DavidZC

Knoxville, TN

Knology router problem

I've already reported this and supposedly a ticket had been opened up a week ago and it looks like it's just getting worse.

»/quality/nil/1058317

•••••••
Indianbear5

join:2003-05-09
Madison, AL

Poor retention on newsgroups.

Hi,

I'm checking to see if anyone else has the problem I do with the Knology newsgroups.

I download a lot of binary files. Many of the binary listings seem to last only 24 to 48 hours; then they're history. For me, this is simply not long enough.

I can't stay "glued to my computer" 24 hours a day to make sure I get a file I want before Knology blows it away.

Others have advised me to sign up with one of the services that specializes in newsgroup access. Most of them have retention rates of up to 7 days and more.

I don't feel I should have to pay "extra" to another company to get service that Knology should be providing.

Does anyone else have a problem with this poor retention, or do you think I'm just expecting too much for my forty bucks a month??

Your comments would be welcome.

•••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 18 · 19 · 20 · next