dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
AT&T DSL Service - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 10 · 11 · 12 · next

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

New Board - Feedback Anyone?

Looks like we have a few reviews on the new service already.

Does anyone have feedback on their AT&T DSL service so far?

I'm curious to hear the feedback.

pipspeak

@SNVACAID.dynamic.cov

Re: New Board - Feedback Anyone?

Yeah, had AT&T DSL and cencelled it. Still trying to get them to refund the early cancellation fee.

Problem was that port 25 was blocked, so I could not send e-mail from my own web server. Tech support told me this was an anti-spam measure for the first 30 days only. At 32 days I called to have block lifted, only to be told that it could only be lifted for dial-up service, not DSL.

So I cancelled service, was told I had a good chance of not being charged despite being beyond 30-day cancellation period, but six weeks later I'm struggling to get AT&T to even look at my appeal case.

Service was fine otherwise. It's provided by Covad.
dschumacher
Premium
join:2002-11-27
Herndon, VA

Expansion to VA for Real?

Despite the news release a few months ago about AT&T DSL being available in a number of states, including Virginia, repeated visits to their web page keep saying that it is not available. When you try checking for availability via phone, it tells you that it is not available to my number and hangs up.

I finally got through to a real person yesterday (not an easy task) and all she did was check my number on the web page and told me that it was not available. She couldn't tell if it was because AT&T hadn't gotten to my CO or if it was some other reason. I previously had DSL service on this number from DirecTV DSL before they went out of business.

Has anyone in Northern Virginia been able to get AT&T DSL? I would prefer not having to do something drastic like dropping AT&T as my local phone provider in order to take advantage of another DSL provider.

Regards, Dan
hellsfire
Premium
join:2002-07-06

Would anyone recommended AT&T's DSL service???

Does anyone use their DSL service??? How is it? R the speeds consistent? Do they cap their speeds? R the tech/cust support good? Do u think my speed will get capped since my friend uses them for his phone service?? Thanks for any info
Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1

Re: Would anyone recommended AT&T's DSL service???

I would also be interested in knowing if AT&T DSL is recommended.
Sincerely, Libra

Tess2

join:2002-10-18
Minneapolis, MN
I like my AT&T DSL. I have had it for over a year and a half. I get consistant speeds. I have the 1.5 down and 128 up plan. I also have them for my phone service as well. I don't see a cap, beyond the plan I signed up for. The only cap I know of is if you choose the cheaper plan that has lower speeds.
tukhus

join:2004-05-30
Brooklyn, NY
Absolutely not. Please see the new topic that I'll write in this forum. Service is so spotty in the New York City area that I'm using a dialup right now to write this. The dialup is only a bit slower on the download, and at least it stays up and doesn't freeze all the time.

Fortunately our year with this company is up, and now we're reading the reviews and shopping for a company that can provide decent service, and one that doesn't outsource it's tech suppport to India so that I have to wait for hours and then finally get some KID on the phone who knows even less than me...

Cheers
Rob

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC

POP Mail Server Names?

Is anyone having problems downloading their messages from ATT? I am on a different (non-DSL) ATT system but access via DSL from another ISP. Several times a week I have to use their "webmail" to delete "bad" messages so I can read the rest with Netscape. Tech support responses range from vague to uncommunicative (stone-wall). Seems to have something to do with their spam filtering.

My pop server is 32.97.166.20 (pop1.attglobal.net). If the IP address is the same for their DSL subscribers, then there might be something to talk about.

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

Re: POP Mail Server Names?

I haven't had any problems lately downloading email. You probably already know this but here is where you can check for issues »care.att.net/bulletins/index.html On the right is a link for DSL issues.

POP server names:
Incoming: ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net
Outgoing: imailhost.worldnet.att.net
Also, you need to change the ports you have the email coming through. Here is a link for more directions »dslhelp.att.net/docs/use/email/g···qcounter

Make sure you have the option checked for "my server requires authenication."

Hope that helps.

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC

Re: POP Mail Server Names?

Thanks for the reply. My problem is not a DSL issue. I think it is a mail server/spam filter issue.

Although I cannot traceroute all the way to your pop server, it appears that we have physically different pop servers so that similar behavior cannot be expected. Mine looks like it is a remnant of the original IBM system.

I continue to get stone-walled by att.global.net tech support. They acknowledge there is a problem; can't (or won't) explain why it affects only one of five email addresses, and say that tings are as good as there are going to get for the indefinite future. Makes me wonder if they are trying to get rid of these accounts.
acera1

join:2003-06-19
Tucson, AZ

router

Is anyone using a pppoe router to connect. I can not get mine to connect via the linksys modem, only w/ the pppoe client installed on my machine will this work.

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

Re: router

I am using ppoe on my linksys router. All I did is go into the router's page and set it to ppoe. If you still need help, let me know what your settings are on the router and I will compare w/mine.
gelfin26

North Hollywood, CA

"One Pissed Off Customer!"

Ok to start off I just recently got DSL through AT&T and was supposed to be getting a 768down and 128up speed on my line which I am paying $39.00 a month. But for a connection that I get that is a 250 down 109 up that's ridiculous!So I called tech support at AT&T and they told me that the line from the main too my place doesn't support that fast of a connection. And that I'd probably be better off with going with cable than DSL. I mean come on if this is the kind of service that I'm paying for then why do they say it's available in my area. Why don't they fix the problem and make it possible for people like me to not have to use the forums and bitch and moan and complain like this.

If anyone reads this and is having the same kinda issues reply and send me a email to: jon.mccreary@att.com
tukhus

Brooklyn, NY

ATT as slow as dialup, sometimes on, sometimes off

Verizon won't service my address, even though I am in NYC and about a mile from the CO. So we gave AT&T a try, and at first they were not bad. We could reach tech support if necessary, the wait times were not long and the support people knew their stuff.

One red flag was their DSL installation CD overwrote my IE with their own branded IE, and installed several other programs on my computer, unasked. This pissed me off and I uninstalled it all, reinstalled my own stuff and configured my own network and router.

The problems started about a year ago when AT&T switched over to PPPOE and we lost our static IP. They sent out a new CD which we were supposed to run blindly, which was unacceptable. We tried to contact tech support to find out how to configure PPPoE manually, and found that tech support was now well nigh unreachable: after three attempts we got through to a tech who admitted being in India. (This is why DSL prices are so low: companies downsize and outsource.) He had no idea how to manually configure a computer, and there was no supervisor to whom he could transfer me. We also can't send mail via their SMTP server, and they block port 25 so we can't set up our own server!

Tried calling again and after almost an hour on hold, got somebody else in India who was actually unfriendly and said, "no run CD, no support."

So I figured it out myself. After the PPPoE, speeds were slower at peak times, and things slowed to a crawl and I was actually getting web page timeouts. This improved when I changed to DNS servers in the ORSC root zone rather than AT&T's overused DNS servers.

These days DSL internet access can go for ten minutes and stop for ten minutes. Much of the time I use a dial-up from work which can be faster, and at least it is always on, no waiting! AT&T tech support is almost impossible to reach, and even after getting a call through to India, the technician simply says that there are no known network outages. As to the slowness and off-again on-again aspect of their "service", they say stuff like "sorry for the inconvenience, please try again later".

In my opinion, AT&T have oversubscribed their service and make customers wait. They have downsized and outsourced their tech support and make customers wait. Best to find a company that's more competitive!

Cheers,
Rob in NYC

gandy611

join:2003-07-29
Philadelphia, PA

DSL in PA on and off problem - connect

I've had ATT DSL for about three months in Pennsylvania.
I have three computers (Win XP on all) and a wireless Linksys router (803.11g)

The first two months the DSL service worked well, but lately, the service randomly has problems.

For some reason, I can not access the Internet (e-mail , browser, IM, etc). This happens on all three computers. I have to turn off the computer(s), turn off the router, then Modem, and restart them (in reverse order just listed). After doing these steps the service is restored but the problem may arise the next day or a few days later.
Maybe even a week later.

I called ATT tech support - Said "things were looking good on their end."

Two of the three computers are wired.
When I check the modem and router after Internet access "goes out," I see no problems - all lights are solid and green.

Also, running updated firewalls, Norton SystemWorks, and spyware on all three. Also have ATT local phone service.

Anyone have an idea of what might be happening here?

Thanks

John

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

Re: DSL in PA on and off problem - connect

I don't know much about the wireless routers (I have the linksys wired router), but have you updated the firmware for the router?

Here in MN the service has been steady for me.

You mention that 2 of the computers are wired. Do you have a wired router + a wireless router? If yes, you could disconnect the wireless router and test to see if that solved the problem and vice versa.

I just checked the covad (covad is who ATT uses to sell us DSL at least here in MN) board here and found you could be experiencing issues from the modem. I see there is new firmware for that too, related to noise margins. »Covad / covad.net

They might be able to help you more there.

Tess
frankjcrow

join:2004-07-16
San Diego, CA

AT&T's Shady Business Practices

About three months ago my girlfriend and I signed up for AT&T DSL service. I stupidly recommended AT&T because a long time ago I had AT&T dialup service and they didn't do the sort things then that they do now.

==[ I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO START ATT DSL SVC ]==

First of all I had just closed my SBC Yahoo DSL account because I was unhappy with their service. I'm also a systems engineer and I am quite familiar with network administration and Internet service providers and what have you. I've been "on" the internet since the early '80s.

So I looked around and found that AT&T would provide DSL service to my location. I looked at their offerings and they had only two deals advertised:

#1:
•"up to 1.5Mbps"
•"Free installation kit ($145 value)"
•"$19.95 for the first 3 months"
•"$39.95 thereafter"
•"1 year term commitment with $200 penalty for eary termination"

#2:
•"up to 3Mbps"
•"Free installation kit ($145 value)"
•"$29.95 for the first 3 months"
•"$49.95 thereafter"
•"1 year term commitment with $200 penalty for eary termination"

There was a footnote on a couple of items which basically spelled out the early termination deal and also specified that there would be a $19.95 charge for shipping and handling on the installation kit. Also that a subscriber has up to 30 days to quit the deal without penalty, known as the "trial period."

Sounds great,like the usual deal to me. Almost exactly what I had with SBC, plan-wise. So I chose the #1 plan, 1.5bmps for $39.95/month basically.

It took them about a week and a half to get the DSL line set up and to mail out the installation kit. When the installatin kit came there was a simple cover letter, which doesn't even say the details of the plan as much as the web page did, BUT!, it did include something peculiar. Something like:

"Don't miss out on the rebate! ... "

Rebate? For what? I dunno. Oh, the package also had a "packing slip" which didn't list the contents of the package (!) and said "NET30" on it (like an invoice). It listed the installation kit but there was no amount due anywhere. Which made sense. After all the installation kit is *FREE*, no amount had been specified except for their "($145 value)", which means to me how much they want you to believe the package is worth. Oh like I said the S&H was mentioned at $19.95.

So, the rebate thing must apply to other subscribers or something. After all the cover letter wasn't even addressed to anyone. It was more like an advertisement than anything else.

I got the DSL service up and running no problem. I did speed tests and what have you. Pretty close to 1.5mbps, no problem. The kit came with a CD for the BroadXent DSL router/bridge. The CD contained a users manual for the router. It talked about an HTTP management interface. I was very interested. I'll get back to that later though.

During the first week, some guy, a customer service rep with AT&T long distance (is what he said anyway), was calling us and telling us that we have a past due long distance bill of $180!! We never call anyone. We do have AT&T long distance, which is why they gave us the special "perks" supposedly. We also have a security block on our long distance service.

So we tried to question the guy about how that could be possible. Who did we call and why haven't we received a bill for that amount yet, especially if its past due?

They guy said that unfortunately his computer was down and he couldn't continue to help us...sorry bye. OK. Weird.

Then shortly after that we received our first AT&T DSL billing. We thought that it was going to be included on the phone bill but whatever. The odd thing about the first bill was that the total amount due was $0.00 (yes zero), oh!, and that they had actually entered an incorrect date for when our service began. The date they put on the bill was more than 2 weeks prior to when I first signed up on the internet.

Still, they weren't asking for anything...yet...the service was good...1.5mbps...no problem so far. Just a little weird.

In the meantime, I discovered that BroadXent's suggested retail price for the 8012V was $112 dollars! Not only that but they had discontinued the model! So AT&T provided me with a discontinued, basically junk router, claiming that and the line attenuators were a $145 value!

So I was a little ticked off. Especially when I had friends that were now signing up with SBC and getting quite nice new DSL routers...and for *FREE*!

I still wanted to be able to use the HTTP management interface on my DSL router. It wasn't working for some reason but I discovered that I could FTP to the unit...so something was there. I contacted BroadXent support and they told me that the management interface was *DISABLED* on request of my ISP!!!

So!! I could throw away the disk with the manual. Why'd they bother sending it in the first place? They specifically asked BroadXent to disable the management interface on my discontinued $112 router that they claim is worth $145.

Now its starting to stink. But really, I could've got over it if it weren't for the fact that I received another bill from AT&T with a $180 charge for the installation kit!

Oh yeah, my girlfriend had been complaining that the service seemed a bit slow actually. I told her it was all in her mind...we have a 1.5mbps connection.

She said "No we don't. We have an up to 768Kbps connection and we do owe them for the router!"

"W H A A A A A A A A A T ? ! ! ! ! Whattaya mean 768kbps and we *do* owe?!! We went over this agreement together in depth when we signed up for it remember?!!" I told her in complete disbelief and anxeity as I saw that she was looking at the AT&T sign up page.

She pointed at the web page. So I looked it over and they had indeed changed their offering. So what?!! I still had copies of the original web pages on my hard drive (and still do) and we went over both the old agreement and the new offering.

It seems as though, now that our trial period was over, and we couldn't quit the service without a $200 charge AT&T switched us, without any sort of notice or indication, to the new offering, and elected to violate the terms of our agreement.

Reading various forums I've come to find out that this is how AT&T does business now. Not only that but they even have recently lost a class action suit because of the "unconsciable" and "illegal" terms that they put into their Customer Service Agreement.

I've even found the web page with my original deal/agreement still online on AT&T's site. They just have changed the links on the main pages to go to the new deal.

I've tried numerous times to contact AT&T in writing. The only response that I've received is that they can't help me with that problem and to call their customer service representatives.

I told them that we dispute the charges and are not going to make a payment against an amount to which we never agreed to pay. In fact since they wouldn't acknowledge me in writing I also informed them that we will not pay anything until the matter is resolved. So they disabled my DSL service, but the account is still active. So they think (per their CSA) that they are going to continue billing me even for a service month were I didn't have service for the entire month.

I'LL SEE AT&T IN COURT - NO PROBLEM

I contacted the lawyers at Consumer Action, the people that headed up and won the class action suit that I mentioned. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I'd really love to start a class action suit against AT&T even if I take nothing in the matter whatsoever. Their pigheaded "we do whatever we want" attitude, that is so common amongst telecom providers, makes me sick.

No wonder AT&T's business has deteriorated so much over the past few years. My, how the mighty have fallen. And gee, look what a multibillion dollar corporation believes is ok to stoop to in pursuit of money!

When will someone do something about these idiots? Ever?
ckjonny

join:2002-02-01
Redwood City, CA

DSL Speed Upgrade

I noticed recently that AT&T has upgraded their speeds to 1.5/128 Standard Plan and 3.0/384 Preferred Plan. I believe the upgraded speeds were advertised about a month ago. This is currently from what I've been able to find out for new users only. Current users like myself are unable to find out what the schedule is for us. I've been monitoring the AT&T moderated newsgroup and WEB site to no avail. I called Customer Care today and got no answer to this question and they had no clue but did confirm that new users were eligible for the new speeds. I was told they would email us when the upgrades were implemented. Has anyone who is either an AT&T DSL user or has experience with another ISP upgrading have any idea when upgrades are implemented for current users?

Thanks,

ckjonny

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

Re: DSL Speed Upgrade

Wow! I haven't heard anything here in MN about an increase to 3.0/384. Since I saw your posting, I checked out the site... I see the new speeds! I want it too!

The last time they upped their speeds to 1.5 down, they did send an email. Then I had to call tech support since I wasn't getting close to the 1.5 and found they had the cap still on for the lower rate.

If I get anything or hear anything, I will post back here.
ckjonny

Redwood City, CA

Interesting that you got an email when they upgraded to 1.5M. When I switched to AT&T DSL from cable in June 03 it was at 1.5/128 for the Preferred Plan. Are you currently on the Preferred Plan? By the way you probably know about the Worldnet DSL help group. If not check it out there's a thread about how some guy had the 1.5/128 plan and called AT&T to change to the Standard Plan since it is now 1.5/128 and they dropped his speed to 768. He didn't want more speed just wanted to pay $10 less.

I wish more AT&T DSL users would get onto this forum. Maybe we'd get a little more attention.

By the way I was born and raised on DA Range. I worked in Minneapolis for about 12 Years.

Thanks for the reply.

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN
Yes I am on the preferred plan. When I originally started with ATT DSL the preferred plan was around 700kbps then they upped it to 1.5mbps. I did get an email on that. I saw the letter in the newsgroup while I was on hold with ATT customer service (although I hate to call what I received service). The rep (Lee in India)I spoke to said that we should all be getting 3mbps in 3-5 days. He gave me an order number(don't know if that was just a ploy to get me off the line or not). He claims all of us "old" customers will be moved to the faster speeds in 3-5 days (he said from today). But with nothing in writing I have my doubts. He would not give me the name or address of anyone I could write to about this issue. You would think I was asking for the address of the FBI.

I wish more ATT DSL users would show up here too. I check here periodically and help where I can.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the DA range?

I will post again if/when my speeds improve.

Tess
ckjonny

Redwood City, CA

Tanks for da update (just a little Range talk) DA Range is The Iron Range up in northern Minnesota above Duluth (Virginia, Eveleth, Mountain Iron, Hibbing, etc.) If someone would ask where you were from you'd say Da Range. I would say we were early adopters of compression technology.

I'll post again if I find out anymore or actually get the upgrade.

John

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN
Oh! That is what I thought but I wasn't sure... I was afraid DA was an abbreviation.

Hopefully we will both get the upgrade REALLY soon... I am so impatient... I want the speed...

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN
Well I ran the speed tests this afternoon after noticing that web pages were loading faster and I am now showing 2449 up and 318 down. I guess they were able to correct my speeds before the 3-5 days. If you still don't have the new speeds in the 3-5 days. I would call support (they transfered me to the billing department), I had to speak to a supervisor in order to get any answers. Hopefully you won't have to do that.

Tess
ckjonny

Redwood City, CA

Speed Upgrade Ugh

Refer back to DSL Speed Upgrade this forum.

On 10/13/04 I called Customer Care regarding speed upgrade from 1.5/128 to 3M/384. Spoke to billing who confirmed that I had the preferred account. He transferred me to Tech support she confirmed I was still at 1.5/128. She then told me that I would need an order to upgrade. She was good enough to speak to Billing and explain my situation. She then transferred me to billing. I could barely understand the guy but he gave me a reference number and order number, would take 3 - 5 days. I ran a speed test on the 14th @ 11 pm Pacific time. I knew they had changed because the upload was 312K but the download was 1.294M. I've been averaging about 1.327M down 312 up. I waited to call CC since I decided to run CAT5 direct from the NID to my office yesterday. The splitter/filter is at the NID. Did speed test last night no improvement. I'll call them today and go through the script and see if they are capping my download.

Will follow up with any update.

John

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

Re: Speed Upgrade Ugh

I understand! I would call tech support with your order number and let them know you have run several speed tests and that it appears they have not changed the cap to your speeds from 1.5mbps to the new 3.0mbps. Hopefully you will get someone who you can understand, and who will understand your problem.
ckjonny

Redwood City, CA

I called the infamous 866 number yesterday. I went to billing first to see if they had a completion on my order. What a trip, the person couldn't find my phone number, didn't see an order number, told me my contract was complete so I could disconnect without penalty, etc. All the information about billing and DSL except my order. I had her transfer me to tech support. After going through 30 minutes of script what OS am I using, take the router out of the loop (which I did) run speed tests directly from my PC he finally took a ticket. Called back twice yesterday, no info on tests, ticket not closed out. Called this morning ticket was closed out. Covad, I assume it was them, tested the line and found no problems. I asked why I wasn't called during the test to assist. He said they could send someone out for $200. I demanded to speak to a supervisor and finally spoke to her. Come to find out according to the supervisor my loop length is to far (14,500 ft) and won't support 3M. I asked why I wasn't told that in the first place. Non specific response, sales fault, other peoples fault, etc, But she did apologize. I'll probably drop my speed to 1.5/128 and save the $10/mo but I am going to do some further checking in the COVAD Forum first. No use posting anything here since no one from AT&T monitors this .

John

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

I hope you check back... try posting at the covad board here »/forum/covad~days=365 but first IM them your phone number, they can check your line and may be able to help you.

Way back in the beginning I did that when they increased the speeds to 1.5mbps so I could prove their was a cap on my line. Of course this was before ATT outsourced their all their phone support to (incredibly BAD)service in India.

It is worth a shot..

I just don't get how you can be too far away for 3mbps but not 1.5mbps.. that just isn't logical...
ckjonny

Redwood City, CA

I posted the question on the Covad forum. Check it out here »Distance and Bandwidth Question

Covad will only support 3.0/384 up to 14,000 ft. That assumes good copper which is doubtful where I live. A couple of posts Earthlink who uses Covad has a rule that they will not support 3.0/384 over 10,000 ft.

John

Tess2

Minneapolis, MN

What a bummer! I had no idea this was an issue. I thought the only issue for DSL was how far we are from the CO.
Ciryaquen

join:2004-12-06
Chicago, IL

AT&T DSL killed my POTS - is the worst over?

When AT&T finally got around to "installing" my DSL** , I had no phone service (POTS) for more than 24 hours. It took about 17 phone calls by me on a cell phone and by my friend calling from his house to finally get phone service back around 8 pm Christmas Eve.

The DSL people, 15 mins after killing my POTS, claimed they hadn't installed the DSL (the DSL light was lit on the modem and coincided with the sudden disruption of my phone service) and to call regular repair.... the regular repair people claimed they would have the problem resolved by midnight and when I called them back they said the DSL people had to fix something they broke when they installed the DSL but were closed... then when I called the DSL the next day (Christmas Eve!!!) they said they'd have it fixed within 5 hours (they didn't!) and that the first guy I talked to hadn't even made a report of the problem and neither had the regular repair people. Around 5pm, the DSL people told my friend they fixed their issue and tried to hang up on him, then my friend finally talked to an American in phone repair. She tracked down a repair tech and followed up with my friend with a promise it would be fixed within 12 hours if it was a programming issue.... apparently it was "programming" because it was fixed without a tech coming out to check my internal wiring.

So.... with the exception of the American everyone else we talked to were incompetent and ill informed at best. This company can't even take a problem report and fix it themselves? Not one single person we talked to bothered to inform us when they decided the problem wasn't on their end and they weren't going to do anything else, even though they asked for an alternate number. Obviously, if we hadn't kept calling back nothing would have been done and I still wouldn't have phone service!

Considering that dealing with AT&T is 5000 times less fun then having 20 root canals done simultaneously, I'm planning on canceling my AT&T phone service and DSL on Monday and switching to MCI. My friend thinks any telecom experience could be this bad, and thinks I shouldn't incur the expense. So my question to anyone who has or had AT&T DSL, is this as bad as it can get, or will it get worse?

I have refused to touch the DSL, because I'm not going to ruin my chance to dump AT&T.

footnote:
** Install was 1 week later than they were supposed to because they had screwed up the order and the installation was "rejected". Grrrrrrr......
MPSEDigital

join:2004-01-13
Irvine, CA

AT&T Software

Having installed SBC yahoo onto others comp. I've learned not to install their software but just use Windows XP to connect. I will be helping someone install AT&T DSL and was wondering if I could do the same(not use AT&T's software). TIA Bob.
ckjonny

Redwood City, CA

Re: AT&T Software

I use AT&T DSL and started out with AT&T Dial years ago. I found out when I installed the Dial service that there was a bunch of junk overlayed on both IE and Outlook or whatever the mail program was at that time. After cleaning my machine up I decided never to use ISP provided Browsers and Email. If you are installing AT&T DSL with on one computer and are using XP you do not have to install the DSL dialer. If it is 98 or some other OS you will need a dialer. The DSL dialer supplied is okay for 98. Bottom line load as minimum of the ISP's software required. If you are installing a router nothing needs to be installed since the Router/Gateway will do the PPPoE negotiation

John
MPSEDigital

join:2004-01-13
Irvine, CA

Re: AT&T Software

Thank you,I had the same experience with friends and Sbc/Yahoo.
Soon As I found out xp would connect in seconds, rather than 50 sec. as their software would take, its delete the junk and clean up.
I assumed it would be the same, it just aids to know in advance of installing it what to expect.
Bob

false_ATnT

@nycmny83.dynamic.cov

Worst Service Provider - ATnT DSL SERVICE

Perhaps the worst service provider in ANY type of service - ATnT DSL.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND EVERYBODY TO STAY MILES AWAY FROM THIS DSL SERVICE.

(a) Their sales team, will make a complete FOOL of customers, by promising Heavens - band-width speed, continuous availability, etc.

(b) During trial period, officially mentioned you can cancel, but you will be flatly refused: Please contact us on the day it expires, since your status is pending, our system will not allow cancellation.

(c) After trial period the COSTLIEST lock-in $200 AND you will start getting intermittent connections (not continuous)/low bandwidth, etc.

(d) You'll be told to degrade to a lower package but no more can you avail any promotional discounts.

(e) If you try to cancel, cough up the USD 200.00.

(f) They are 1 arrogant SOBs in billing dept.

(g) They do not ALLOW you to contact customer service through e-mail..only a postal mail for which you'll never get a reply back!

STAY AWAY FROM THIS CROOK ORGANIZATION IF YOUR MONEY IS DEAR ... THEY ARE NO MORE ATnT.. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF THUGS NOW.
tiamold8

join:2004-07-21
Tucson, AZ

Should I get AT&T DSL service here in AZ?

It's only $30 for the 1.5 service, and as long as it has the 30 period of satisfaction, than I am going to switch.
I keep hearing about the bad reviews, but is it really that bad? I'm paying Qwest for 256k DSL at $35 a month, which is a rip off. Also, I'm considering switching my local phone service to AT&T.
Thanks!

•••
padders

join:2004-12-02

Settings for router

I want to use a Netgear DG834G for my DSL service and not whatever AT&T sends out.

Does anyone have the settings that I should use for that? Also, does anyone know when the DSL service is activated, is it active before you receive the pack?

Thanks!

••••••
nethawk9

join:2004-07-08
Houston, TX

Ripping People Off

these guys s*ck when it comes to internet, if youre considering getting this internet service dont, all they want is money, before they upgraded i had 768Kbs down and 128Kbs up, then they upgraded and i was given 1.5Mb down and 128Kbs up for no charge, so i figured if they can change it like that then i should have no problem upgrading to theyre preferred plan, i called them up and asked if i can switch plans,to my surprise they told me i had to cancel in order to upgrade, which i thought was a load of crap cause to cancel u have to pay the $200 cancelation fee, so now im stuck with this service till next year

Little advice to those people in Houston Tx, consider oplink youll pay less than what u would with these guys and get twice the speed, as soon as my contract is up im switching to those guys
SkipHuffman
Premium
join:2005-07-28
Decatur, GA

Disconnection Issues.

In June I moved to a home office as part of that process I changed my variety of telecom services for all AT&T. Local, long distance, and DSL all on one. This was a mistake.

Billing has been wrong in various ways from the beginning. I think I finally have that fixed.

Now I think (hope) that the only thing left is the DSL. I have two problems.

First I have many total connection drops. Usually in the afternoon or evening, and especially when there is rain somewhere nearby (but both of these could be subjective and may be unrelated) The symptom for this failure is I loose all internet connection, and the DSL light on the AT&T supplied Broadxent 8012-V1 goes out. It will then go through cycles of ten seconds dark, then two seconds fast blink, repeat until connection restores. (Times are approximate.) This could last for hours.

Second, and perhaps just another system of the same problem, at times my Lynksys cannot get a PPoE logon from the modem. This will occur even when the DSL light is on.

One possibly related symptom. The fourth light "INTERNET" on my modem rarely lights up.

I have replaced everything on "my" side of the modem, two different lynksys routers, and a direct connected laptop. All have the same problem.

I have also run wire from the modem to the demark point three times to ensure that my wiring was not the problem.

Tech support, well, is neither. Basically when I finally get through to them they cycle through the "Change cables, reinstall software, try the router, reboot the PC, reboot the modem" routine until I get a connection, then cut me off.

I suspect that the problem is the modem (Broadxent 8012-V1). But I could be wrong.

I had another Covad provider before, Megapath, and doubt I had more than two or three drops in three years.

Any suggestions on how to isolate my problem?

Thanks,
Skip

natalia

@salonica.acn.gr

newsgroup help

hello

I signed up for att worldnet service

I want to download from newsgroups

inetnews.worldnet.att.net doesnt work

whats the usenet server address ?

thanks
snyper1982

join:2006-06-21
Turlock, CA

DSL keeps dropping out....

OK.I know a little bit about networking, most likely just enough to get myself into trouble. So I figure I will ask the gurus in here before I mess anything up. Anyways, here is my dilemma. I have a speedstream 4100, Firmware version 1.0.0.53(if that makes a difference). My Provider is AT&T, and I live in Turlock, Ca. I have intermittent internet drop outs, and I have no clue what is causing it. When I change PPP to Bridge Mode, the drop outs seem to disappear(have not noticed any yet anyways). So I figured it was a bad modem perhaps. I ordered a 2wire 1000HG. It seemed to be working fine, but then it started doing the same thing.I have no clue where to even begin trouble shooting this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When the connection drops out, it won't even connect to the modem, either of them.

•••