dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
AT&T DSL Service - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Latest reviews for AT&T DSL Service:
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · 12

halfiepint
@grandenetworks.net

halfiepint

Anon

AT&t DSL and useless connectech

On or around 5/15/2011, I had just moved into my new house and had signed up for AT&T DSL internet service. I had to call AT&T customer service in order to register my account, so that my internet would connect.

The pushy, hard-to-understand phone rep, instead of just registering my account like I asked him to, tried to sell me an "AT&T approved" modem, which I did not want. After all, I had used this same modem at my previous two houses, with AT&T DSL service, and it had worked just fine.

Because I did not have an "AT&T approved" modem and did not wish to buy one, he said that he could not help me and that I would have to pay for their premium tech support service (connectech) in order to register my DSL account. I would find out later, that was a lie.

So I was transferred to the next pushy, hard-to-understand phone rep, who said that I could pay a one-time fee of $50, for assistance with this one issue (turning my internet service on), or pay even more for a year subscription.

I said that I did not want the subscription and was only interested in getting my internet service turned on. She tried to insist that I REALLY wanted that subscription because it was so great, and I continued to insist that I did not-- Please just turn on my internet.

So then she transferred me to the next hard-to-understand phone rep, who was supposedly an "expert." He proceeded to read off his script before he stopped and said "oh wait, your account is not registered yet." No ****, sherlock, that's why I called in the first place!

So since this so called "expert" didn't know how to register DSL accounts, he made a three-way call to another hard-to-understand "expert" for help. While they were talking, I tried to log into my account and was finally successful.

Since I already accomplished my purpose for calling in the first place, I promptly hung up while they were still talking to each other.

Then I receive my phone bill with this $50 charge. I didn't think I should have to pay it, since I was able to solve the problem on my own, while these useless "experts" were still trying to figure it out.

I was told that since the issue was resolved, I would not get the $50 back. Well, yes, the issue WAS resolved, because I resolved it MYSELF without the damn experts. Why should I pay them for something I did myself? But, they didn't see it that way.

If you want my advice, don't get AT&T DSL service in the first place, and if you do, refuse their so called "premium tech support."

Yes, you CAN have your account registered without having to pay for that service. If they tell you otherwise, demand to speak to a supervisor.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T's Still Not Enforcing DSL, U-Verse Usage Caps

»AT&T's Still Not Enforcing DSL, U-Verse Usage Caps [46] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T: The U-Verse Build is Over

»AT&T: The U-Verse Build is Over [180] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T May Sell Off Many DSL Markets

»AT&T May Sell Off Many DSL Markets [72] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Frontier's 'Next Gen' Plan is.....AT&T U-Verse?

»Frontier's 'Next Gen' Plan is.....AT&T U-Verse? [66] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Fails to Sell Aging DSL Markets, May Upgrade

»AT&T Fails to Sell Aging DSL Markets, May Upgrade [63] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T's Forced 'Free' U-Verse Upgrade Costs Woman $327

»AT&T's Forced 'Free' U-Verse Upgrade Costs Woman $327 [62] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Threatening Overages Without Providing Meters?

»AT&T Threatening Overages Without Providing Meters? [54] comments - posted on the home page

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers

Mod

(topic move) At & t DSL connection loss ONLY in evening

»At & t DSL connection loss ONLY in evening

Moderator Action
This topic was moved to the forum AT&T Southeast

stated reason was: more appropriate forum

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Announces Awaited Network Investment Plan

»AT&T Announces Awaited Network Investment Plan [91] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Won't Explain Meter Inaccuracy, Claims Data Propriet

»AT&T Won't Explain Meter Inaccuracy, Claims Data Proprietary [117] comments - posted on the home page

MTX
@sbcglobal.net

MTX

Anon

Westell Modem ICMP Enable

I have a westell modem the regular one that comes with the dsl service. its modem name is proline and the modem model number is A90-620025-20. The issue is that it drops all ICMP request which means for security issues it drops all ping requests. For other services that I have running on my network and with my applications I need this feature disabled. In other words I NEED to be able to ping my modem. Anyone know how to do this? Tech support couldnt help. The guy said no body at the office knew how to do it. He said it could be done but they didnt know how....any thoughts?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

sbcglobal.net e-mail addresses?

Hi!

After discontinuing its sbcglobal.net DSL service, shouldn't e-mail address become invalid? It is still working after several years. :/

Thank you in advance.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Re: sbcglobal.net e-mail addresses?

Does AT&T really need to change the e-mail addresses? No. The e-mail servers may be co-located with other AT&T servers acquired through mergers and acquisitions that have many e-mail "names". In a world of virtual drives and mirrored systems, AT&T can allow users to NOT have to go through the hassle of changing e-mail addresses. I suspect eventually they will force the issue, but doing so does not generate profits, so it might be a low priority long time to come issue.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

So when users discontinue their SBC Global DSL services, their e-mail addresses remain active? Weird.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

My workplace at one time changed e-mail systems and gave everyone new e-mail addresses. Initially they set a cutoff date for old e-mail addresses, but it was a low priority and they have not enforced it for a few years, so we now have 2 e-mail addresses we can use, at least for now. With all the other headaches the IT administrators deal with each day, e-mail address changeovers are not a priority. They just let newer bigger servers run both names for legacy workers, and only give out one address in the new naming convention to new hires.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by davidhoffman:

My workplace at one time changed e-mail systems and gave everyone new e-mail addresses. Initially they set a cutoff date for old e-mail addresses, but it was a low priority and they have not enforced it for a few years, so we now have 2 e-mail addresses we can use, at least for now. With all the other headaches the IT administrators deal with each day, e-mail address changeovers are not a priority. They just let newer bigger servers run both names for legacy workers, and only give out one address in the new naming convention to new hires.

Ah interesting. I just find it amusing to see sbcglobal.net e-mail addresses still active after for years after discontinuing its DSL service.

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Details on Rumored New AT&T U-Verse Speeds

»Details on Rumored New AT&T U-Verse Speeds [97] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T West Employees Working, But Threaten Strike

»AT&T West Employees Working, But Threaten Strike [15] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Loves Cherry Picking Precedent Set by Google Fiber

»AT&T Still Blaming Government For Their Crappy Broadband Speeds [76] comments - posted on the home page
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 9 · 10 · 11 · 12