dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
Skype - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

goldnucs

@comcast.net

Skype Unlimited U.S.

Hi, I live in the US but spend about half the year at my home in Mexico. I have an AZ-based [520] Skype-in number and have been paying on a pay-as-you-go basis for years and it's been getting expensive ever since they imposed the connection fee. If I sign-up for the Unlimited calls-US plan, would my calls be included in the plan while I am in MX when I place calls to the US?

techie7

@tubitak.gov.tr

Skype on mobile phones

I was very much upset when Skype did not work on my Palm Treo 750. In fact, one of the main reasons why I bought it was to use Skype. But after some research I found a solution and would like to share it with everyone. Skype does not work properly on many Windows Mobile devices simply because their processor speed is not sufficient. But there is an application called Fring, which works on virtually any Windows Mobile device as well as on Symbian OS phones and on I-Phone. Fring is a free program for phone to phone communications via the VoIP protocol. However, Fring can connect to your Skype account and then one can make SkypeOut calls. Besides, unlike Skype, Fring can work via GPRS, WiFi is not required (Palm Treo 750 as well as many other phones do not have WiFi unless you install a miniSD WiFi card). Those interested can find all details at »www.skypemobile.info

Tontons

@89.201.48.x

Kur var dabt "Skaype password killer"?

join:2010-07-01

Can I play Skype on USB device

Said as title,I want to install a skype in a USB disk and run it in any computer,Can I do that?

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

4 edits

[Info] Skype - Useful Links...

Skype Status Announcements: Heartbeat
»heartbeat.skype.com/

Get Skype
»www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/

Download Skype
»www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/···s/?c=204

Skype Support
»support.skype.com/

Skype Developer
»developer.skype.com/

Skype Beta
»www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/···ws/beta/

Skype Release Notes
»developer.skype.com/releasenotes

Skype Goodbye!
»www.skype.com/intl/en-us/wecanhelp/

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Skype Question

Does anyone know what they did to the OLDER VERSIONS of skype so they dont connect anymore??

Im thinking they changed the server and thats why the early clients dont connect.

My favourite skype version was 0.97.40

It was not OVER BLOATED,ETC.... Installed it was 8 megs and i would really love running it again! (I DONT LIKE THIER NEWER OVER BLOATED PIECES OF GARBAGE CLIENTS)

Anyone have any info on what was changed?

Gone Fishing
Premium

3 edits

[Info] Re: Can I play Skype on USB device

said by 24286503:

»Can I play Skype on USB device

Said as title,I want to install a skype in a USB disk and run it in any computer,Can I do that?

This might point you in the right direction:

quote:
PortableApps.com
October 18, 2010

Skype Portable 5.0.0.152 Released by PortableApps.com

Skype Portable 5.0.0.152 has been released. Skype lets you connect to others via instant message, audio conferencing and video phone. It can also call regular phone lines from anywhere in the world. This release updates Skype to the latest version and has an improved launcher. It's packaged as a portable app so you communicate on the go and it's in PortableApps.com

Read more @ »portableapps.com/news/2010-10-18···.0.0.152

Convenient
Now you can carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind.
Read more @
»portableapps.com/
»portableapps.com/suite

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

devolic
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oscoda, MI

How good can I run Skype

My mom wants to run Skype she has an old computer. It is:
P-4 2.5 single core 512 KBytes/Cache with 2 Gigs DDR-333
How good will it run?

Also, who makes a good cam/headset?
--
WinXP Pro SP3

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Re: How good can I run Skype

I know this topic is a little old, but if you're still needing an answer:
It should be ok.
Medium quality video calls: 1GHz CPU, 512Mb ram
Higher quality video calls: Core2Duo or faster
Most of the quality depends on your connection. For HD calls I think 2Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up is the minimum.

For decent cams/headsets I have two Logitech c270h I got at Walmart for about 30 bucks. Does 720p and came with a headset. Good quality video/picture and good clear sound with either the built in mic or the headset
»www.walmart.com/ip/LOGITECH-WEBC···15529174

Works well with Skype and Windows Live Messenger

Lee05

@comcast.net

video

I call the other party the can see but not hear me. I can hear but not see them
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US
·Sipgate VOIP

Skype Ripped Me Off!

I've tried all the VOIP services currently available and found that Skype works the best so I paid them for a 1yr subscription which they advertised as having unlimited calling to any phone.
I started using it to call my friends and one day it just cut me off. When I tried to call back I got a message that I couldn't call anymore since I had zero credit so I emailed tech support asking why I needed credit and they said that I didn't since I had a subscription. When I found that I was not using the newest version of Skype I downloaded it again and installed it and could call again but when it's installing it still says I get unlimited calling to any phone. I made a few more calls and was cut off again so I emailed support again and got a reply saying I had used up all my 60 minutes of available time and couldn't use anymore until next month!
What kind of "unlimited" subscription gives you just 60 minutes a month? It's nothing but a scam!

Petrusha

@fullmeshnetworks.com

Re: Skype Ripped Me Off!

Has your problem been resolved yet? Did you pay for the $71 (I think it is) annual subscription?

I paid for the annual several weeks ago, made one call, and then had my account blocked for "verification." It persisted for nearly a week after my payment had cleared with them. I was outraged, as you obviously are. I emailed customer "service" repeatedly, I combed the paltry Skype forums, and I called the fraud department at my bank.

Finally I got a forum senior to address the issue for me with the invisible "higher ups," and I'll be darned if it wasn't all resolved once and for all the next day. The forum I dealt with was specifically the "blocked account" forum, and yours seems to be a subscription-type issue, but I suggest that if the situation is still unresolved you find an appropriate forum and look around for someone posting with some obvious high level of authority and deal with him or her directly.

Good luck! It's a good service, when they let us use it.

laciegalaxy

@comcast.net

Help !!

How do I cancel one Skype account so I can open another under my real name instead of alias? I cant find the info and all my efforst have failed. I am new at this so maybe some one can tell me how to do it.Thank you

dbbernet

@pacbell.net

Skype accounting

I used my desktop to buy credit for my Ipod, Skype credited my desktop account, though I used my Ipod name and password. I've spent the last several hours being told I can't post on any of their forums and searching for an email address, phone number, or Skype address. Pretty clear they don't really want to talk to anyone.

Anyone know how to contact their accounting department?

dbg

Revcb
Orbis non sufficit
Premium,Mod
join:2001-07-05
Jackson, MI
kudos:3

[NEWS] Wednesday Morning

»Wednesday Morning - posted on the home page

Revcb
Orbis non sufficit
Premium,Mod
join:2001-07-05
Jackson, MI
kudos:3

[NEWS] Thursday Evening Links

»Thursday Evening Links - posted on the home page
zillah
Premium
join:2005-01-30
NewZeland

Skype does not show an online contact

Dear Experts

This thread was posted to the skype community forum but still I have not got a solution

We (me and my friend) tried to use the Skype on our mobiles HTC legend and my friend also using it on his mobile Nokia E5

Both of us have the Skype accounts,,,,we did the tests below :

1-If he logs in to his Skype mobile (Nokia E5) first and then I log in to my Skype account on my desktop computer I cannot see him as online, Skype shows me as offline (waiting for 5 minutes).

2-If I log in to my Skype mobile (HTC legend) first and then he logs in to his Skype account on the desktop computer I cannot see him online as well (waiting for 5 minutes), Skype shows me as offline.

3-If he logs in to his Skype mobile and I log in to my skype mobile, none of us would be able to see the other as online.

4-In case 1,2,3 the only way that the contact would be showed as online status if we do an activity on Skype (chat, call)

5-If he or I log/s in first to the desktop computer and then he or I log/s to the Skype mobile then we are able to see each other as online.

Is this a common problem with Skype or only with me ?

Regards

Gone Fishing
Premium

2 edits

Skype 5.3 for Windows update: Extras Manager Removed

Release Notes
quote:
Skype 5.3 for Windows update - Removed Skype Extras Manager

We have updated Skype 5.3 for Windows.

With this newly released build we have removed the Extras Manager from Skype and in addition we have done stability improvements.

Please upgrade your Skype now.
More @ »blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/06/s···e_-.html

Related:
EasyBits Update for Skype Extras Manager
»blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/05/e···r_s.html
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Gone Fishing
Premium

4 edits

[Info] US Government Approves Microsoft Purchase of Skype

quote:
The agency filed a notice of early termination approving the deal, without comment.

• FTC approves Microsoft's purchase of Skype
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387211,00.asp

• Microsoft's takeover of Skype approved by FTC
»latimesblogs.latimes.com/technol···val.html

• Trade commission approves Microsoft-Skype deal
»www.gmanews.tv/story/223843/tech···ype-deal

• More: »www.bing.com/search?q=DOJ+Micros···orm=QBLH

Note:
The article originally stated that the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) had approved the Microsoft deal. Actually, it was the DOJ, but it was announced via the FTC web site.
More @ »www.windowsitpro.com/print/paul-···e-139523

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Gone Fishing
Premium

2 edits

[Info] What Skype Really Means to Microsoft

What Skype Really Means to Microsoft
Read more @ »www.windowsitpro.com/print/messa···t-139550
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Gone Fishing
Premium

4 edits

[Info] Skype 5.5 beta for Windows

quote:
Skype 5.5 beta for Windows - with Facebook chat and contacts integration, under the hood updates to video engine

Today we have release Skype 5.5 beta for Windows.

The most important changes in Skype 5.5 beta in comparison with previous releases are:

• Facebook integration
• Improved call controls
• Improved video calling reliability
• Plus several bug fixes

Start downloading this new version of Skype immediately and let us know how you like it , via dicussing on our forums or in case you see something odd in Skype then please report it on our public issue tracker, see guide how to report issues.

When installing and using this version of Skype, please keep in mind that it is currently in a beta state which means that there might be some hidden hiccups.

We're waiting for you're feedback.

More about the new client improvements:
Technical details
Version 5.5.0.110 File size 20 MB. Beta release. Release date: June 20, 2011. File name: SkypeSetup-Beta.exe
»blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/06/s···arage%29

Download @ »www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/···ws/beta/

Related:
DSLR: »[Info] Skype - Useful Links....

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Gone Fishing
Premium

[Info] Panicking over MS patent to intercept Skype calls

quote:

Seriously, let's not start panicking over Microsoft's patent to intercept Skype calls!
By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | June 27, 2011, 1:02pm PDT

Summary

I’m not sure why, but there’s a lot of patent hysteria lately. The other day it was Apple’s patent application for a way for venues to disable recording of live events, and today it’s Microsoft’s patent application that would allow for a legal intercept of VoIP communications … such as Skype.

Read more @ »www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/seri···or-blogs
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere
Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit

skype android high pitch noise calling landline.

I've been using Skype on mh HTC desire since the original version.

Regardless of the version of Skype on my phone, I will sometimes have a very high pitch static noise when calling a landline. It never happens when I call Skype to Skype.

I've searched online, and it's been a known issue in the Skype forums forever. ( »forum.skype.com/index.php?showto···13&st=40 ) *he explains in better detail*

My question is why is it happening , and why aren't they fixing it? The only reason I have unlimited calling in north American plan and a Skype number is so that i can call from Japan to Canada.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X