dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Atlantic Nexus - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

slick111
@208.89.102.x

slick111

Anon

Thanks again Atlantic Nexus

For helping the rest of us that stuck with Speedfactory (I was under contract). You guys ROCK!
Ataru
join:2008-04-13
Smyrna, GA

1 edit

Ataru

Three months in and still delighted

I switched from SpeedFactory after their first major failure in April 2008, and I have been delighted with them even before my latest experience, which only just happened to coincide with SF's final implosion.

Recently, due to my own stupidity, I fried my DSL modem and despite my efforts, I could not find a plain replacement (without crappy wireless routers built in). AtNex to the rescue! I called them up, and not only was the sales associate (whose name I did not get, unfortunately) just a few miles from my home in Smyrna and willing to allow me to pick up a replacement modem with two hours notice on a Thursday afternoon, I was only charged shipping on the modem since I had not received my free modem when signing up for new service.

I will seriously buy a beer for anyone who can boast of that kind of helpfulness from CrapCast or BellSuck. AtNex is just stupendous.
fudbuckle
join:2008-08-01
Snellville, GA

fudbuckle

Another satisfied Atnex customer

I was yet another poor soul left without DSL service due to Speed Factory pulling out of the Atlanta market. I am now a proud customer of Atlanta Nexus. Thanks to Tim at Atnex I am on-line and operational less than 24 hours after placing my order. Not only did he take my order, he called me back to let me know that I have fiber optic lines in my area, so the speed of the signal will be influenced. He also called me to alert me when service became active. Atnex, you folks are great!
fbroce
join:2002-02-02
Duluth, GA

fbroce

great service

I signed up a few days ago. Same day service. Everything was letter perfect. I highly recommend these guys!

bassanjo
@bellsouth.net

bassanjo

Anon

Naked DSL?

This week BellSouth sent me a note saying they now offered naked DSL.

I take it this does not mean I can drop my landline and continue using the Atlantic Nexus service. Right?
timbob6
Premium Member
join:2005-10-06
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Re: Naked DSL?

That is correct. An active AT&T land line is still a requirement in order to have Atlantic Nexus DSL.
timbob6

1 edit

timbob6

Premium Member

Atlantic Nexus 6.0 Mb Service Now Available

Atlantic Nexus is happy to announce the release of our new 6.0Mb x 512 Kb residential and business class services.

Features include:

--> No Usage Caps
--> No Port Blocking
--> No Bandwidth Limitations

Visit our website to find out more:
»www.AtlanticNexus.com
ghstgry
join:2008-12-31
Dallas, GA

ghstgry

Question about Atlantic Nexus as an ISP

We live up here in the sticks (Dallas/Acworth) and currently use AT&T for DSL service. By "use", I mean I use it when it's up. The service seems to drop early and often, but never for more than 10-20 seconds at a time. Unfortunately, that's enough to kill my VPN connection, hang up on whomever I'm speaking with on VoIP, etc. Highly annoying and makes working from home quite a chore.

No, I haven't called AT&T's "support" because my Indian isn't so good and I don't feel like waiting to be connected to the local support folks. Plus, I've seen other reports (on this site) stating similar issues, so I'm pretty certain it's not me. Soooooooo, I headed to DSLReports to see if I can find a decent alternative and see all these glowing reviews of Atlantic Nexus.

My questions are simple:
- does Atlantic Nexus simply redistribute AT&T DSL or do you guys handle your own service provision?
- if I'm having spotty service with AT&T, isn't it pretty likely that I'll continue to have spotty service with Atlantic Nexus, assuming you're just sending along AT&T's product?

I'm not trying to bash anyone or imply that Atlantic Nexus isn't a good company. I simply don't want to go through the hassle of switching providers, email addresses, blah blah blah if I'm just going to have the same problems.

Ideas?

Dave
Ataru
Smyrna, GA

Ataru

Re: Question about Atlantic Nexus as an ISP

For what it's worth to you (essentially nothing), I have had clear sailing with AtNex from Smyrna, and I have worked from home via VPN a fair bit. I want to say that AtNex does simply redistribute, although if nothing else if you switch you can speak to AtNex's very friendly local support, and THEY can deal with the people in India reading a script.
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6 to ghstgry

Premium Member

to ghstgry
Atlantic Nexus utilizes the (local loop) phone line and the DSLAM that your modem syncs up with. Beyond this point, Atlantic Nexus uses its own routers, switches and servers. If you have any issues with your service in the local loop, we deal directly with AT&T here in Atlanta to resolve the wiring issue. As you will see from our customer comments, we have a long history of working with AT&T to resolve this type of issue. Please feel free to contact us via our webiste if we can answer anyother questions.

Saaz
@208.89.102.x

Saaz to ghstgry

Anon

to ghstgry
FWIW, I used to be a Bellsouth, then Speedfactory customer, and switched to Atnex when Speedfactory imploded. It sounds like I had similar problems with a flaky connection that would drop frequently, and I struggled with it for YEARS while I was a BS and SF customer. After switching to Atnex, I brought it up again with them, and they actually made an effort to track down the problem, traced it to the ATT lines (Duh... I suspected that years ago, but couldn't get anyone to fix it) and they got ATT to fix the problem.

My DSL has been very reliable for several months now, and I wholeheartedly recommend Atnex.
Nemesis75
join:2009-03-15

Nemesis75

ATT or Atlantic Nexus

I am currently looking through dsl/cable providers in Georgia because I currently have an IFTIL 1.5mb connection from ATT. It used to be fine until 6-7 months ago when I started to get really high ping and slowdown at night. It has not stopped and techs seem to not be able to do anything. So I was thinking of going with Comcast but they are expensive compared to what I pay now. Since I am on IFTIL the highest speed from Atnex that I can get is the same 1.5mb. Even tho it is the same speed is Atnex better at dealing with congestion at night? Does it slow down every night like ATT does or will both connections be the same? I just want my connection to be the way it used to be and I hope Atnex can provide that.
wa4bro
join:2008-04-19

wa4bro

Re: ATT or Atlantic Nexus

I would suggest sending an e-mail or giving Atlantic Nexus a call. From what I have seen of their customer service they would be more than happy to discuss the network with you.

I can say that the connection after leaving your CO will be on the Atlantic Nexus network. I have been using them for sometime and could not be happier. Over the years in Atlanta I have used Bellsouth, Charter, Sprint (No longer in the biz here)Speed Factory and Speakeasy. As far as networking with all these carriers and congestion slow downs I would have to say that with the exception of Sprint's Business Class Service and Speakeasy SDSL service that Atlantic Nexus has the next best network I have used.

Also out of ALL the above carriers the Tech Support at Atlantic Nexus is 2nd. to NONE! I have dealt with a lot of companies and I have never see such far superior tech support with anyone else. ( This is if you ever have to use them) Atlantic Nexus uptime here at my residential service has never been down more than 2 hours in two years and most likely that was Bellsouth's copper or a CO problem.

I have never had Comcast, but my Girlfriend in Alpharetta does. I can tell you that she calls me at least every two weeks that her connection is down. They have a TON of problems with their DHCP servers not handing out an IP address. I spend a lot of time with her ruling out it being on her end. Now call Comcast support and they do not even know what a dhcp server is but they will send out a tech to exchange out the modem and then they reverse trouble shoot. I will say that when they are up they are fast. But darn sure not reliable for my use.

Regards,
Dan
wa4bro

wa4bro

No Better Service In Atlanta!!

As a user that switched to Atlantic Nexus during the downfall of another local ISP sometime ago, I continue to be amazed at the service and dedication from Atlantic Nexus.

1. Down time has been almost NONE. With Bellsouth and later my former ISP downtime was fairly frequent. Especially with their DNS servers. No problems at all with DNS servers now.

2. Top Notch Customer Service anytime, and they do not ask you to reboot your computer three times from a standard Indian Check list before even listening to your more educated question than their answer!

3. Tech support speaks my kind of ENGLISH! Hey were are in American.

A recent example of how you will never find this kind of support from any other ISP in Atlanta and most likely no where else in this country.

This morning, SUNDAY at 12:30 AM , just after midnight I sent a message through Atlantic Nexus contact form on their website and asked that a Reverse DNS be setup for one of my 5 static IP addresses.

At 2:30 this morning (Sunday), TWO hours later, I received a message from T.C. an Engineer at Atlantic Nexus that my RDNS was all setup and ready to go.

My friends this is Customer Service at the extreme best end of the scale and for one reason Atlantic Nexus is now rated #1 in Atlanta!

As further comparison I have a full T-1 at my business from a monopoly carrier..... Yes be thankful that in most of Atlanta we have a choice, This monopoly phone company does have an SLA with me and I must say for a monopoly phone company I have had a much better experience with up time than expected. At any rate, with them it took 3 days for a RDNS and almost 3 hours to find the right department to handle it.

Again, My hat is off to All the guys at Atlantic Nexus. Now if you could just get away from BS copper there would be no stopping you!

Dan

flacmonkey
@charter.com

flacmonkey

Anon

Plans for Naked DSL

I am currently an unhappy charter customer and would love to sign up for Atlantic Nexus DSL. The problem is that you still require that I have an AT&T land line. I have been a customer of Bellsouth/AT&T in the past and will never give them another penny of my money. So my question is, are there any plans to offer Naked DSL in the near future?
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Re: Plans for Naked DSL

Thanks for your interest in Atlantic Nexus. At this time, a land line is still required by your local ILEC (AT&T). We have initiated dialogue with the ILEC regarding lease access to the 'last mile' copper without the requirement of local service, but no arrangement has been reached as of yet. So in answer to your question, yes, we plan to pursue "Naked DSL", but this will depend entirely upon agreements reached with local ILECs.
phaqu
join:2005-05-26
Marietta, GA

phaqu

S'up Tim.
Hows it going?
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Very well, thanks. As an update for this post, I would like to mention that we have repeated our interest in Naked DSL to our ILEC contacts and are awaiting a response.

flacmonkey
@charter.com

flacmonkey to flacmonkey

Anon

to flacmonkey
Thanks for the answer. I'll keep checking from time to time, hopefully you will be able to offer it soon.
phaqu
join:2005-05-26
Marietta, GA

phaqu to flacmonkey

to flacmonkey
said by flacmonkey :

I have been a customer of Bellsouth/AT&T in the past and will never give them another penny of my money.
Damn if you dont sound exactly like me. (except Im a little more vulgar in my description of them than you are).
BTM
join:2000-10-03
Acworth, GA

BTM

DNS troubles?

Anyone else having DNS issues today?
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Re: DNS troubles?

Hi BTM,
One DNS server did have a hung process the day you noticed some issues. That process was restarted later that day.
Thanks,
Atlantic Nexus

Wrong
@atlanticnexus.net

Wrong

Anon

You guys are still having DNS issues...I can not resolve even atlnex.net nor are any of the microsoft web pages coming up. I think are more issues then you guys know.
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Please verify you are trying to reach atnex.net (atlnex.net is not one of our domain names). At times we have seen customers unable to get to some websites and the issue is resolved by simply power cycling your router. You may also want to check that your DNS servers are set to 208.65.88.2 and 208.65.88.1. If these suggestions do not resolve your issue, please contact us at 770-222-4455 or submit a help desk ticket at »www.atlanticnexus.com/co ··· form.htm

Thanks
nawhead
join:2003-08-29

nawhead

Upgraded to 6MB, phone line keeps going out

I just upgraded to the 6mb service. Love the new speed!

But... ever since the upgrade, the phone line goes out a lot now. It goes out several times a day. Not just the DSL, but the actual phone line goes dead. There is no dial tone at the NID box outside the house.

At first it was just one long, entire day outage (maybe some maintenance?). Then it became 1-2 hour outages. Now it's like 15 minute outages, several times a day. This is very distressing since in the past several years (when I had 1.5MB, then 3MB), these type of outages was maybe a once a year occurence.

I checked the line stats on my DSL modem, Speedstream 5260, and this is what I got:

Command-> show

--- General Bridge Information
 System Mode          - Bridge
 System Type          - SpeedStream 5660-R:ENI
 System HW Version    - 0
 System Up Time       - 1 Days 2 Hours 24 Minutes 21 Seconds
 Software Version     - 2.3.0(6) Dec 12 2001 10:31:37
 Factory MAC Address  - xxx
 DSL Phy Description  - Motorola 850 SAR Alcatel/RT Adapter
 DSL Phy Version      -
 DSL Interface State  - Up
 Spanning Tree Mode   - Disabled
 Bridging Filter Mode - Disabled
 Ethernet Interface   - 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0

Command-> show dslstatus
--- DSL Status
 Cell Delineation - True
 DSL State        - Up

--- Channel Info               ATU-R                    ATU-C
 Current TX Rate  -           512000                  8000000
 Previous TX Rate -                0                        0
 CRC Block Length -                -                        -
 Interleave Delay -                -                        -

--- Physical Layer Info        ATU-R                    ATU-C
 Current Attainable Rate -    556521                 14035087
 Current SNR Margin      -       8.0                     21.0
 Current Attenuation     -      29.0                     13.0
 Current Output Power    -      12.0                     20.0
 Current Status:
  Defects detected       -        No                       No
  Loss of Framing        -   No Loss                  No Loss
  Loss of Signal         -   No Loss                  No Loss
  Loss of Power          -   No Loss                  No Loss
  Loss of Signal Quality -   No Loss                  No Loss

--- ATU-R Line Status
-- Press any key to continue --
 Line Coding - DMT
 Line Type   - Fast or Interleaved

From what I've read over in the ATT forums, those line stats are good (SNR Margin of 8.0 is "fair", Attentuation of 29.0 is "excellent"). And rightly so, since when the connection is up, I have 0 problems whatsoever. Fast, consistent 6.5mb+ speeds with low latency.

But then the phone dies and the internet dies with it as well.

A Bellsouth... er AT&T technician came to the house twice. The technician said the phone line was up when they came by so the problem is "wiring inside the house." And they charged us $85 a pop for the visits... Grrrr.

What should be my next step? How could I explain my problem better so I can get this resolved?

Should I be going through ATNEX support or AT&T?
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Re: Upgraded to 6MB, phone line keeps going out

Hello Nawhead,

We should be contacted to resolve the issue – we will be happy to send someone out if we need to. These are the kinds of issues we work hard to get to the bottom of.

Thanks,
Atlantic Nexus
770-222-4455
»www.atlanticnexus.com/co ··· form.htm
Athens101
join:2004-08-23
Athens, GA

Athens101

Anyone else had their static IP changed?

For the past two weeks in a row my static IP has changed. Both times it happened around 4 A.M.

This is with a business account so it's bothersome resetting the websites ANAME record in the morning.
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6

Premium Member

Re: Anyone else had their static IP changed?

It could possibly be a provisioning issue. Please contact our tech support at 7702224455 and we will be happy to get this resolved.

Thanks,

Atlantic Nexus

JDH770
@newnanutilities.org

JDH770

Anon

Big outage this morning

Thank goodness the neighbor is both understanding *AND* has an unsecured WAP with a cable connection...

I've been with Atlantic Nexus for a few years and have never had a complaint. These guys are top notch.

This morning, there is no connectivity on the LAN side, and the atnex web sites aappear unreachable. In the years I have been subscribing to Atlantic Nexus, this is the first outage I have experienced that I can recall, that appears to be either with their equipment, or with AT&T's equipment between me and AtNex.

Metro Atlanta has been getting a bunch of rain and I heard news reports of localized flooding, so I'm hoping the AtNex guys aren't working in chest waders.

I left a message with tech-support. I know those guys probably have their hands full.

zenatnex
@atlanticnexus.net

zenatnex

Anon

Re: Big outage this morning

Actually only their DNS is down, everything else is still going strong... except for Tech Support I must say. Should've at least put up a message on the phone telling people to use a public DNS server temporarily. Nah, instead you get to leave a message, get disconnected without further options, and then wait indefinitely... for what?

Anyhow, looks like AtNex is taking the SpeedFactory route. No surprise really.

Malk
@comcast.net

Malk

Anon

Not correct its bigger than jsut DNS I jsut tried 3 differant sets of DNS address's with no luck.

anonymous2 to JDH770

Anon

to JDH770
I know they are extremely stretched at the moment to say the least, but it would be nice if one of Atlantic Nexus exec's would post here a status of the situation so we would know what to expect.
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

timbob6 to JDH770

Premium Member

to JDH770
We are working diligently to resolve the current outage. We will post an update shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,

The Atnex Team

Malk
@comcast.net

Malk

Anon

Woulda have been nice to put some kind of message on the phones when people call in...we are after all your customers and this isnt the first time you guys have had this suggestion.
slick1ru23
join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA

slick1ru23 to JDH770

to JDH770
This is going to be a double post because they delay anonomous posts. I got on using OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. You have to recycle after entering them.

slick1ru2
@atlanticnexus.net

slick1ru2 to JDH770

Anon

to JDH770
I just got on using OpenDNS. You have to cycle your router after.

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 are the addresses. I can't connect to the mail server, but I forward my mail from gmail.
slick1ru23
Marietta, GA

slick1ru23 to JDH770

to JDH770
I can tell you one thing. I started calling before 7 am and never got a call back. I am not a happy camper. I would like to thank zen for posting about it only being the DNS server. I do know they are evacuating Powder Springs right now and I see that timbob has that for his location. I have lost faith after this lack of response by customer support. An automated message at their phone number with the solution of how to change the DNS server was all that was needed. I have gone through 2 DSL companies going under and if it wasn't for the weather, this would have me looking for a new provider.

•••
Island boy
join:2009-09-21
Dacula, GA

Island boy to JDH770

to JDH770
We are back up in NE Gwinnett (Dacula/Buford/Hamilton Mill).

Website also appears to be back up, which is recent - I was trying to access it an hour or so ago.

Maybe everything is drying out, or has been drained? Hopefully this is the last for a while... a long while...

Island Boy
timbob6
Premium Member
Powder Springs, GA

2 edits

timbob6 to JDH770

Premium Member

to JDH770
Monday morning 09/21/09, Atnex experienced an outage related to a core switch facing our DNS servers that was failed over and replaced. We apologize if we missed your call this morning during the outage. Our business office was in the flood zone in Powder Springs so the majority of our support staff were unable to arrive at the call center this am. Many awoke to find their houses under several feet of water. I would like to thank our loyal Atnex staff members who overcame many physical obstacles this am to get this outage resolved. I would also like to thank our customers for your patience in working through this local Natural Disaster. For any customers experiencing ongoing issues, please contact us at »www.atnex.net/contactus.htm

Sincerely,

Tim Barton
Chief Operations Officer
Atlantic Nexus

anonymous2

Anon

> know they are extremely stretched at the moment to say the least,

Given the report Tim, my statement was a considerable understatement. I for one appreciate the hard work under trying circumstances.
slick1ru23
Marietta, GA

slick1ru23 to JDH770

to JDH770
Thanks for the update Tim. Sorry to hear about your employees. I have family in Powder Springs too we are hoping don't have to evacuate. I figured it had to be weather related, and now we know it was much more then that. Thanks for getting back to us.

anonymous2

Anon

atnex.net down?

external »www.mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3 can't resolve atnex.net. Can't access email servers although internet access via dsl. Anybody else seeing this?

•••••••••••••

slick1ru2
@atlanticnexus.net

slick1ru2

Anon

DNS Again

Having some problems after midnight that seemed like DNS again. Its up now, hopefully it was just a server restart or something like that.

so_long
@charter.com

so_long

Anon

AtNex = no more?

So the connection goes down and up and down and up and down and finally just stays down this morning.

Tech support answered phone on Thursday but not yesterday and today seems like even the mailbox is full.

So I go and connect to a neighbors wifi and open atnex.net and get this "amerion" thing instead? WTH is that? Is Atnex no more?

We need to be back up soonish...

••••••
Ataru
Smyrna, GA

Ataru

Hey AtNex, can you do me a quick favor?

Whatever makes you guys awesome, can you PULEEZE make it rub off on BellSouth? I've been down since Friday morning, but it isn't your fault - I have no phone service either, which means SURPRISE it's the bozos' at SuckSouth problem! Again!
BTM
join:2000-10-03
Acworth, GA

BTM

Any reports of any problems?

I'm trying to determine whether my problems with my connection are an ISP problem or a problem with my equipment. For the past 1 - 2 weeks, I've been losing connection several times a day on both my wired machines as well as my wireless. Since I can't really afford the down time to take my router out of the equation and test on a single machine, I wondered if there were any ongoing issues at AtlNex's end? Bandwidth tests are all fine, it's just these connection drops that seem to last for a few minutes that are killing me.
gareed
join:2006-05-15
Gray, GA

gareed

Re: Any reports of any problems?

I also had some connection problems a couple of weeks ago. These seem to have cleared up recently.
wa4bro

wa4bro

Naked DSL Revisited

It has been almost a year since the last post on this subject.
Has their been any progress Timbob?

AtNexMgt
@atlanticnexus.net

AtNexMgt

Anon

Re: Naked DSL Revisited

Yes. But not impressive. AT&T has moved from "No Not Ever" to "No, Not This Year". We are still pushing.

Thanks for asking.
Atlantic Nexus Management.
wa4bro

wa4bro

Yep not impressive for sure.
I see they are offering it for their own service now. I guess as usual with them you will get it last
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next