site
spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

forum logo About
Atlantic Broadband - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
robry
Premium
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

new speeds

looks like 'express' went to 30/3 and 'unleased' went to 75/5

I'm in the process of moving in with my girlfriend in State College in the next few months so I backed my package down from unleashed to express to save money since I need internet at her place for work (she used a vzw mifi before lol)

has anyone gotten the bump to 75/5 yet? How is it?
Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: new speeds

This is the same boost Cumberland got in the last 2 months.

I have the Express tier, and the 30/3 works great for me. I use a Motorola SB6121 that I purchased from Amazon.

For the price, unlimited access, and no penalty for not having ABB's TV packages, ABB is going to be a better value and speed for what Comcast will sell you in State College.
robry
Premium
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

comcast is almost a fast for less right now. 30$/mo + 7$ modem rental, which will change when I'm moved up here and can bring my SB up with me.

I think it goes to 45$/mo after the first 12 months. 28/6 right now.
Os

US

Comcast is more expensive than that, and there's a $14/month surcharge if you don't have their TV.
redpenguin

join:2010-06-17
united state

Atlantic Broadband Upgrades Consumer Modem FW?

I am attempting to find out if it's ABB's policy to upgrade the firmware on your own consumer router.

I will be obtaining a Motorola/Arris SB6141.

I noticed online they stated it can be good to have an ISP that will upgrade FW but some ISPs have a policy to not touch consumer owned devices while others will do it anyway.

Does anybody know ABB's stance on the issue?
ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

Re: Atlantic Broadband Upgrades Consumer Modem FW?

The device you listed the SB6141 is a modem. We do maintain the firmware on all modems that connect to our system, customer owned or leased.
redpenguin

united state

Re: Atlantic Broadband Upgrades Consumer Modem FW?

Thanks again for the info. Couldn't find anything online and wasn't sure what agent to ask.
F34R

join:2007-10-29

At the point where I'll cancel my internet service

I talked with a guy at the local office, and he doesn't have any idea when, if ever, our speeds will increase in the 29812 area.

At this point, I can just use my LTE connection and save the money by canceling my 15/1.5 plan.

I average 40-50Mb/s down and 10-20Mb/s up with my LTE, and it's unlimited.

Anyone know of abb increasing the speeds here? 29812?
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

Re: At the point where I'll cancel my internet service

We don't have any information on when we may be upgrading service in that area. Sorry.
redpenguin

united state

Channel Bonding only on Consumer Owned Modems?

I'm in the Johnstown area and have the "Express" service.

I was renting for a while the SB6121 (4down/4up-channel bonding) from ABB and just last week bought my own SB6141 (8down/4up channel bonding) to "future-proof" myself somewhat, so I don't need a newer modem in only 2 years.

Yet I noticed something I can't quite explain.

ABB's modem only ever "connected" to a single downstream channel "97". Same thing with my buddy's same modem and service in the JTown area.

Yet my newer SB6141 oddly enough is linking to a total of 8 channels, 97-104.

I thought the SB6121 would at least link to 4 of the 8, or is there something that channel bonding needs to use all 8?
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

Re: Channel Bonding only on Consumer Owned Modems?

Something was wrong with your previous modem or there is something we need to look into. All docsis 3 modems should channel bond for downstream if the customer has Express or Unleashed service. A modem failing to channel bond will almost certainly lead to slow speed issues. It should not matter if it is 4 or 8 channels, we currently don't have a requirement (Miami does need 8)
EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL

Could you clarify what you mean by Miami and 8 channels? I'm in Miami Beach, using a Motorola SB6120, and have 4 downstream channels bonded and one upstream.
redpenguin

united state

Not completely sure what ABBJason meant by needing 8 except possibly for the 110mps package may actually need it for stability.

Either way you having the SB6120 (also same with SB6121) is only capable of 4 down/up channels.

You need something like the SB6141/SB6180 to get 8. I totally recommend the SB6141's Texas Instrument chipset vs the SB6180 Broadcom chipset as most folks say online it's not anywhere as nice and TheWireCutter claimed the SB6141 is the best to buy for anybody.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA
In miami it is better if everyone has an 8 channel modem. As pointed out, the 6120 only bonds 4 downstream channels. We provide 8 channels in our miami system. Each channel has a maximum bandwidth of 38mbps. So if you you have say 100 customers bonding only 4 channels, split their connection by 4, you can hit maximum utilization on those 4 channels faster than if every customer was bonding 8 channels, because now we are balancing the load across 8 38mbps channels. So in miami, we use 8 channel bonded modems. They haven't said anything about not wanting to let customers use 4 channel modems, but I could in theory see it becoming an issue at some point. Maybe not. We haven't had utilization issues since doing our d3 system upgrades. We use Arris cm820a and motorola surfboard 6180 in miami as our primary cable modems, they both perform fine. We have tested to our maximum speed, 110mbps and both modems can provide that amount of bandwidth. I'm sure that one modem chipset may in fact function better than another, but we have customers using pretty much every make and model of docsis 3 modem you can imagine and none have presented major issues that we are aware of.
EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL

Thanks @redpenguin and @ ABBJason for the detailed reply.

Great information to know. Are you doing (or planning) any upstream channel bonding to improve upstream speeds? Other cable companies (such as Comcast) which do upstream channel bonding are able to offer much faster upload speeds.

For example: Comcast's "Blast" package offers 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, for a 5-1 down/up ration. ABB's plans in contrast offer a much lower 10-1 and an incredible 15(!)-1 ratio for the two fastest packages.

It's good to know that I might get more reliable downstream performance with an 8-channel modem, but at this point, I think I'll hold on to my SB6120. It's less than three years old, so I expect I'll keep it for at least another year or two, unless it dies or I'm forced to switch to an 8-channel modem.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

I don't have any information about upstream channel bonding unfortunately.
redpenguin

united state
Does ABB do some sort of different setup for company-owned vs consumer-owned modems?

Even my friend in Uniontown who had an Arris modem, we upgraded him to a Motorola SB6141 and now he has a much better & more responsive connection.

This happened for myself and 3 other folks who upgraded from ABB's own equipment.

Is the SB6141 just so good of a modem that it's better than ABB's own equipment or is there different config files?

I mean we did network tests and latency and connection gets better results from pingtest.net than the ABB equipment.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

I am not aware of any reason why there would be a difference between models of modems. There is no significant difference between a leased modem and a customer owned modem. Your findings are strange. I will pass them along to the people who do equipment testing and see if they've noticed anything similar.
Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

New Rate Increases 1/29/14

All the TV packages go up anywhere from $2 to $5, they're raising HD another $1, wire maintenance another $1, modems another $1 ($8/month, really?). And all internet plans go up another $2.

They justify this by saying they have TiVo (Nobody in their right mind with a choice still has their TV service), up to 75 Mbps internet, and they added Pivot (Except you dropped TVGN and GSN).
redpenguin

united state

1 edit

T3 timeouts are at ISP's end?

From reading material online, I always thought T3 timeouts were due to bad signal or whatever on your line at any given time.

Yet after checking modems of others in the JTown area, I have noticed that all the modems seem to have the T3 times synced as if the T3s affected the whole area each time.

All the modems I believe used the Prospect head end as it's all Downtown and West End.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

Re: T3 timeouts are at ISP's end?

This is exactly what's been happening to me for over a year now. ABB will tell you constantly it's only on your end, then months later you'll hear them say "Oh it's a problem affecting your whole node!" then give you some more bullshit runaround and never fix it.

Even when they claim they "repaired" something it must be with duct tape because it never lasts for more than a week before it's right back to daily disconnects.

I've had 7 in the past 36 hours now alone and I just gave up and accepted it. There's no alternative and ABB knows customers don't have anywhere to move, so why put the effort and money into repairing anything? There's no need for stability when it's either "shitty internet or no internet at all."

Meanwhile ABB Jason posts here supposedly but doesn't seem to know anything at all, nor provide any actual help. Just read my topic for the idiotic runaround and how useless they've been.
saboken

join:2003-10-12
Johnstown, PA

It took a Year Finally Atlantic Broadband has finally honored the Cable C :)

Link to the beginning of this issue.

»Cable Card Tuners ABB refuses to obey FCC law on Discounts!

Long story as short as I can make it persistence has prevailed ABB has finally honored the Cable Card law! it seems somehow corporate in MA was unaware of the issue until the former self proclaimed VP of all ABB locations in reality just a regional VP but he had the nerve to claim the corporate title as VP! Mr D Dane no longer works for ABB and HQ in MA gave us the back credit we were due I do not know if the FCC was contacting only the Johnstown Office and Mr Dane was just tossing it in the shredder? but he would not care since he was leaving ABB and going to acquire the title of Vice President at Adrenaline Technology. this guy is slimy as a snake putting a whole company at risk because of some power trip, I hope he doesn't pull the same stunts were he is now! but good riddance he is out of the picture and we got what we were entitled to. and to all those past comments that seem to have vanished about never getting the discounts well we got our discounts and more for the issues since we were able to directly correspond with high level management in Massachusetts our issue would have been resolved sooner if we were able to contact our Mayor who was also supposed to be the person to seek help from before the FCC but I now know he was ill and is no longer with us, anyway I am not going to say I won this was not a game if it was I was not playing!!! it turned out to be a David and Goliath unfortunately I was David and Goliath was more of a Shrek ABB is not a large company by any means. Good Luck D Dane your linked profile shows you hop from company to company for what ever reason? yes you pissed me off in your little meeting but I am over it, ABB is starting to ramp up services Speeds, Tivo etc. in Johnstown the TiVo is not available to us yet and I really have no need for one since I have my Ceton 4 tuner card soon will add their new 6 tuner card, I might run both with another cable card giving me 10 tuners since I have had recording conflicts with the 4 tuners about once a month. No Tivo, Genie, or Hopper can match the posibilitys of using Ceton hardware. And hard drives are getting cheaper! I use a WD My Book Studio since they have a longer warranty(3 Years) stay nice and cool in their aluminum housings the original 2 TB has been running 24/7 for over a year now without a issue! I just added the Western Digital My Book Studio II 6TB oh yea if there is a next time a ABB tech has to make a unnecessary house call please don't touch my External drives I know they look nice and shiny in their metal housings and you may never have seen half the electronics I own because no one in the Johnstown area sells high-end equipment! search the internet to look at the pictures and videos and order your own!! if you pick up one of my drives and drop it while its running besides the fact of possibly trashing the read heads and scratching the Platters I know someone will be paying for a new one but the loss of my recording will really piss me off!!!! If you don't own it and it's not ABB's property don't touch it the only thing I have that ABB owns is a Cisco Cable Card and if you need to see it hold it what ever, I will remove it from MY CETON TUNER and hand it to you! and now that I know ABB is offering Fiber to business customers I wonder how long until you share that huge pipe with the rest of us?? it's sad that county's like Iceland have fiber and we are nowhere near the top of the list of ISP's offering the latest and greatest sharing that fiber pipe with your little guys home owners would really put you on the map!!!! outside your service area no one has heard of ABB? I used to live near Miami in Deerfield beach and Ft Lauderdale when I was doing Repossession work in Broward County and never heard of ABB come on now ABB you have the infrastructure out there don't sit on it share it you might be surprised how many customers would be willing to pay for a Fiber Hook Up!!!! I guess I am done here few locals are going to read this since most around here have no idea this site exists, now I can start selling SMFF HTPC's with Ceton cards to customers I have shown what mine can do free whole home networking, unlimited DVR storage, ability to take recordings with you on another Portable drive or flash drive for viewing on a W7 laptop like I do when I take my RV out. I'm really done ranting here I need more coffee and get back to work.

Plaza

@atlanticbb.net

Plaza of the Americas

The only option other then satellite is Atlantic Broadband, not happy with their pricing of $43 for 5 mbps down and 1 mbps up.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA

Re: Plaza of the Americas

Join the club. ABB doesn't need to price competitively when there's no competition to be had. Garbage tier company in every respect.
redpenguin

united state

1 edit

ABB Going Switched Digital Video and/or digital in 2014?

In the Johnstown area, I am very confused as to what is going on with the video services.

I have a family member and a few friends totally confused on whats going on.

The family member wants to get Basic Cable (Non-Value) but was told it's going digital and she only has a single analog TV. Also how does the deposit system work, she cancelled cable and wants it back, and they said she could have to put a $100+ deposit down.

Also my other friends all have Value service and they are wondering if they will keep the analog for those channels or going digital.

For SDV I read online you have to have a "two-way" box that basically "requests" the channel to be sent to you, basically like video-on-demand. Yet I also heard ABB is just going to convert the cable to digital and only require a digital reciver TV.

ABBJason (who seems to really know this stuff) or someone similar, please explain this stuff in greater detail? (I am basically my family/friends tech and they look at me for this info).
Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: ABB Going Switched Digital Video and/or digital in 2014?

On ABB's website, they only sell digital service, and have done so for years. The only place that analog lived on is for people who visited an ABB office to sign up.

I've never heard of deposits except for cell phones where they do credit checks. ABB doesn't do credit checks, to my knowledge. If they're asking for a deposit, either your family member didn't pay off a bill in the past or has bad credit.

ABB has been saying that they're going to do something with the Altoona/Johnstown system for 2+ years now, I'll believe it when I see it.
redpenguin

united state

Thank you osravens. Mainly everybody is dying to know if the analog itself is going to be removed or remain simulcast for a long while. That basically sums it all up.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA
Analog isn't going away in Altoona/Johnstown. There is a certain segment of the population that pays for basic cable and it needs to remain analog for them for the foreseeable future. SDV was originally slated for 2013 but was pushed to 2014. Other areas have switched or may be switching to digital, which does require a digital box. My understanding (I don't work in the dept. that primarily deals with tv) is when they switch an area they offer customers two boxes at no charge. These are not the same as the normal cable boxes that Digital Value and up customers get, they're just digital tuners basically.

SDV will probably require a cable box for the channels that get removed. Basically some channels get move to a transmit on demand status. In order to get a channel that is SDV, you have to have a device capable of two way communication. Most tv tuners, even digital ones, only receive signals, not send them. The real question for your family member is will any of the channels they watch in the value tier get moved to SDV? I don't know at this time unfortunately. This is something that the company is generally good about addressing, if we force you to have equipment they generally offer a couple for no additional charge. None of this is set in stone, I really am not sure what Atlantic Broadband is going to do yet, other than SDV is still the plan to my knowledge. The above is basically a more detailed explanation of how SDV works.

As for credit checks and deposits, I don't handle those things, so I can't speak to that. I would recommend you call customer service for further info.
Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

From the ABB perspective, there's no incentive to continue analog signals. It eliminates theft of basic cable, reduces truck rolls and the need for traps, and frees bandwidth to sell more expensive programming tiers and HD channels. Over time, you can turn the need for digital equipment into a revenue stream.

Just about every company has had little issue or trouble killing off analog cable once and for all, I don't know why ABB is so insistent on keeping antiquated technology alive.

I don't know what they're waiting on in Altoona/Johnstown to do anything, I would think they have to be hemorrhaging subscribers left and right to the dishes due to high prices and the lack of offerings, plus the general trend for most legacy cable companies to be losing customers right now. I know they've been losing a ton here in Cumberland, and that's with a lineup that's a little more competitive, and has some unique positioning with the increased local channels from 3 different markets.
redpenguin

united state

1 edit

ABBJason, do you know if the plans for Altoona/JTown are for requiring DTAs on all TVs or not?

Basically what I mean is, do you know if they plan to encrypt all digital simulcasts or the digital-only versions if they are shutting off the analog for this tier?

My buddy has an HDTV already and a ClearQAM capable TV tuner, and he would prefer not to get a CableCard or DTA for every single TV.

I am not sure what to tell him because ABB seems to make different decisions everywhere like Florida and Grasonville seem to have taken the non-forced DTA/CableCard route but some say Cumberland and I know Uniontown has not taken that route.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

I don't know for sure, but my understanding is the choice to use SDV instead of just going all digital was to avoid requiring DTA's for everyone.
redpenguin

united state

Oh ok, thank you.

Because my buddy and I, have seen the horror stories of Comcast and somewhat Time Warner, who apparently are currently giving customers major tech issues, bad picture, etc.
Os

US
Almost every company who started using SDV ended up going all-digital anyway, see Charter, Cablevision, Time Warner and Bright House.

Having an intermediary step only serves to make more customers angry, and still inconvenience them.
redpenguin

united state

1 edit
It appears that ABB in JTown is going to also get into ADS or Analog-Digital Simulcasting.

Though, they must still be setting it up, as it doesn't appear that they have every channel setup to do this.

Also the various channels they did setup (Limited Basic) did take at least a week to work properly. (They were freezing, no sound on some at first, and some even had the wrong audio track).

It is to be seen if they are going to simulcast all of the Value channels or not.
redpenguin

united state

2 edits
Not sure what's going on with ABB but they are offering TiVos which supposedly do not have an analo tuner, yet they don't seem to have fully simulcasted every single Value channel.

They already are sending advertisements out for TiVo service.

Not sure how TiVo folks will see all the channels then until they simulcast every single analog. (So far they mainly only have Limited Basic on simulcast, unless you count Insp).

Or is ABB going to put an analog tuner into their version of the TiVo just like they did with their digital boxes for years?

»www.atlanticbb.com/sites/all/the···uide.pdf

Page 24 says:

"You may be trying to access an antenna or analog cable channel. The TiVo T6 DVR, Tivo Mini, or TiVo Preview does not receive analog channels."
BB_Hunter

join:2008-05-16

Clearfield PA finally gets Docsis 3.0 upgrade

I had some issues with my connection yesterday and ended up with a tech on site today. When he was getting ready to leave I asked about the Docsis 3.0 upgrades and he said they just completed them. Their site isn't updated yet and you may need to call a few reps but Docsis 3.0 is now available in the area as long as you have a modem that supports it.

Finally enjoying the new 75/5 tier - »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3254182947
ShadezeRO

join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Filtering & Throttling

Hi All,

Anyone else in Miami (or other area's) seeing throttling & filtering lately?
In the last 2 weeks I've noticed that I can't download anything past 22KB/sec via SFTP from any of my overseas servers.

Also, I've noticed IRC connections being reset on connect.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

Re: Filtering & Throttling

I am not aware of any filtering or throttling we do for any connection type. We don't monitor traffic nor do we restrict usage. I would investigate technical problems, starting with a trace route to whatever servers you are experiencing issues with.
ShadezeRO

join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: Filtering & Throttling

Hi,

Looks like there's some odd issue where all my traffic is being routed through AT&T due to some outage.

Looks like I'm peering with Cogentco/Atlas.
TraceRoute: »i.imgur.com/q2XvMl7.jpg

When trying to connect to any server overseas:
It seems to go through ATT at the last hop which suggests Cogent are trying to route around some issue with the ISP. The ISP only seems to peer with ATT and Cogent: »bgp.he.net/AS12035

Also, my VPN connection to even my office in North Miami is terrible.

Timshow

@bombardier.com

Possible expansion

Is there any possibilities that Atlantic Broadband is planning an expansion of service in the Fayette county Pa area this summer?

some1uknow

@atlanticbb.net

Re: Possible expansion

If by expansion you mean add more HD channels, I surely hope so. It's embarrassing that in Uniontown, PA we don't have AMC in HD. Only the biggest cable channel out there, with the biggest cable TV show (The Walking Dead, of course), and yet no HD. It makes no sense to me. Anyone know why? We have every major channel in HD except that one. I'd also like to have FXX at all, let alone in HD.
JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

TiVo questions

I was curious on how Atlantic Broadband's TiVo setup is being deployed.

From what I understand, the current modem or phone modem is replaced by a new modem with specific Moca capabilities and wireless capabilities.

What I am wondering is how does this impact an existing home network? Is the Moca network independent of the existing LAN using a customers router, or does it bridge to connect the two? Can I still use my own wireless router? Can I still connect to my IP address from outside of my home and VPN to my computer? Does this new modem act as a built in router and prevent this type of connectivity?

I'm guessing there is a point of entry filter on the coax line to prevent the network from bleeding out to the neighborhood.

Just curious on the specifics.

•••••••••••••••••••••

some1uknow

@atlanticbb.net

Anyone have Tivo through ABB?

I think it might be available in my area, but I'm a little confused as to which box they are using. The highest package says Tivo Premier, but it also says 6 tuners and 1,000 hours recording time, which I thought was only available on the newer Roamio boxes. The Premier line are the older boxes and are only supposed to be able to record up to 4 shows at once. Which box are they using and how much extra is the service? Let me know if it's any good, or is it better to buy one through Tivo? Thanks! »www.atlanticbb.com/for-home/bund···ple-play

•••••
Bmac1024

join:2011-11-09
Cumberland, MD

Twitch tv buffering

Hello, i live in cumberland md and have the 30/3 internet, speeds are fine but twitch.tv buffers nonstop really bad at around 5pm till about 1 am, I've spoke with ABB they said they see nothing wrong and ive spoken with twitch staff and he says to post here and ask if you guys have this issue.. i use to be able to have like 5 streams open on source without buffering now like medium buffers nonstop. But if i use a vpn it fixes it?.. and twitch staff said they do not distinguish their traffic differently
Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Twitch tv buffering

I've never used twitch.tv, but I also live in Cumberland and have the 30/3 internet, so I'm willing to try and see how it works for me here.

I've not seen any problems with the site on my end, so it may be node congestion for you. With that said, I'm amazed that people actually watch other people game. I can't imagine anything more mind-numbing, but to each their own.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA
I regularly use twitch with our service, it works fine. I know some people online have various issues with twitch. A lot of people attribute it to their player, I don't know. We can certainly test your connection, do a ping test, speedtest etc.
mfryd

join:2010-04-25
Miami Beach, FL

Problem with multiple Static IP Addresses

I have 8 static IP addresses and a CM820A cable modem.
The CM820A connects to an Ethernet Switch (not a router), and there are 8 devices hanging off the switch. Each has been assigned one of our static IP addresses.

The problem is that the CM820A won't talk to more than 3 or 4 of the devices. The others can't even ping the modem. If I plug/unplug the Ethernet from the CM820A it changes which machines can talk, but I can't get all of them to talk. I have had the CM820A replaced, and I replaced the switch.

Is there a limitation on how many devices can be attached to the CM820A?

What is the recommended configuration for using multiple static IP addresses?

•••••
JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

ABB Altoona PA - HD Channels

So letters went out late last year talking about HD additions in 2014. Earlier than that, the Altoona Mirror ran an article saying new channels were coming soon. One day I stopped in the local office and was told we would have at least 100 channels coming in early 2014.

Why is it when I call in to ask, no one is aware of ANY additional HD channels coming at all. I've asked several people from several departments.

Why is it that no one has this information? They've already made these statements, so why now pretend it was never said?

Did this just quietly go away hoping no one would notice, or do they just keep all of their employees in the dark?

I've been asking for years now.

•••••••••••••••••••
EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL

Plans for broadband speed increases?

Any plans for increased broadband speeds? Comcast and Time Warner have (or are in the process of) upgrading their standard plans to 50 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps up (5Mbps up in TWC's case). Some of the other larger cable providers are similarly upgrading their standard plans to the 50-60 Mbps range.

I'd be particularly interested to hear of any plans to increase upload speeds (upstream channel bonding, anyone?)

Thanks!

••••••••

orefalo

@204.16.76.x

FIXED: Corrupted downloads with SBG 6580

Thanks to this thread »[Internet] I fixed my corrupted downloads! No more CRC, MD5

I finally fixed my issues with this modem on the Atlantic broadband network. The issue is indeed related to a firmware bug on the motorola modem. Only issue, it takes the carrier to push a better version. After numerous attempt, I decided to give up on the poor ABB customer support. Bought myself an AirPort Extreme and configured it in bridge mode. Problem is gone.

No more CRC error with the SBG 6580, no more video freeze. The connection finally feels as it should.

On a side note, I wish Atlantic would have let me upgrade the firmware - it would have saved me $200. Poor support.
EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL

Re: FIXED: Corrupted downloads with SBG 6580

That's disappointing. I had a similar issue on Comcast a few years back (modem firmware bug on my cable modem) and they upgraded the firmware for me, although if I recall correctly, phone support wasn't that helpful - I ended up posting in a support message board (possibly right here on DSL Reports) and one of their techs took care of it.

I would think this is standard practice for all cable providers.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA
Customers updating firmware on modems can lead to other problems. There are good reasons we don't let customers do it. That being said, if you care to provide more detailed information, I would be glad to send it along to someone who can take a closer look at it.

seinman

@152.51.48.x

uPnP on Cisco DPC3827?

I have Atlantic Broadband, and was provided with the Cisco DPC3827 modem/router. I need to turn on uPnP, and can't figure out how. I have tried logging in to the modem with the "default" information (leaving both user name and password field blank, according to the manual) but it says it's an invalid user name. Does anyone know how to do this?
NetLarry

join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

Re: uPnP on Cisco DPC3827?

Login with "user" as the name and leave the password field blank.