dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

About..
some frequent posters..
mods
Welcome to DSLR's Breezeline Forum

An independently operated and maintained user community resource for the discussion of information, problems, solutions and questions related to Breezeline.

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next
EnerJi
join:2011-02-19
Pacific NW

EnerJi

Terrible reliability in Miami Beach

Over the past two weeks my Internet service has been horribly unreliable, with my modem rebooting multiple times per day or experiencing T-3 timeouts which interrupt my ability to use the Internet.

I've tried calling a few times and each time there seems to be some kind of "maintenance" or "known issue" going on. I got fed up and called again today after another outage, and this time I have a tech coming out to see me tomorrow.

Is this happening to anyone else? Has anyone had luck getting some credits for periods of poor service such as the one I am experiencing?
GaryK
Premium Member
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL

GaryK

Premium Member

Re: Terrible reliability in Miami Beach

T-3 timeouts seem to be the norm down here in South Miami, even when using a modem provided by ABB. Streaming video is typically interrupted 3-5 times an hour for 5-15 seconds at a time while the modem reboots. I long ago stopped calling support about this because all they ever did was use one of two excuses: 1) Nobody else is reporting an issue so it must be you; and then they'll offer to roll a truck 2-3 days later, or 2) If it's between midnight and 6AM I get the "maintenance window" excuse.

A few years ago after Internet/TV/Phone were all down for about three days I called in to request a credit, was eventually told I'd get one, but it never actually happened. After a month or so of followup calls I lost interest and gave up.

I hope you have better luck than I've had.
EnerJi
Pacific NW

EnerJi

Unfortunately my reliability hasn't improved. I've called a couple more times, and one time got the "maintenance in your area" schtick. The second time I assumed there was more maintenance going on. After over 12 hours of unusable Internet I finally lost patience and called, only to be told that it was only first reported a couple of hours previously, and that they were "working on it." (Next time I'll try to call it in right away to have the issue logged.)

When the situation wasn't resolved the following day, I called again, and this time they scheduled a truck roll for two days later. Predictably, later that day the situation resolved itself.

I now have a technician scheduled to come tomorrow to test a cable modem that is working flawlessly. I realize diagnosing intermittent issues are very difficult - any suggestions on things I can do to get him/her to help identify the reliability problem and get it resolved once and for all? My downstream signal levels are fine, but upstream power level bounces between 48 and the low 50s, which is technically "just" in range, but I suspect when things go bad it might be edging just out of range. I also wonder if the upstream SNR (which I can not view from the cable modem stats) is also showing problems on my node.

If this technician isn't able to help, is there any way to escalate to someone in ABB engineering?
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

We can put your modem on a 10 day monitoring that will poll the service levels of the modem in 5 minute intervals. Our normal data is polled every couple of hours. Signal levels fluctuating could cause problem, but in my experience most peoples signal levels move a little. 48-50db isn't a big swing, and honestly the system in miami tolerates as high as 54db without issue regularly.

The technician should still do a few things even if it is working at the moment he arrives. We do understand intermittent issues happen. Usually they check levels at several points, replace f-connectors (most common failure point) if he can't find anything else.

I would suggest you call after your visit from the technician, request the modem be put on 10 day monitoring (we call it probation) and we can look for more information to try to identify the problem if it persists.
JimmyK814
join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Atlantic Broadband Tivo deal

In Tivo's press release for May 23rd, they mention:

"Additionally, we signed a distribution deal with Atlantic Broadband, the 12th largest U.S. MSO, who has over 250,000 subscribers in seven states on the East Coast."

I suspect this means we may soon have an alternative to the horrible DVR software on the current STBs.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard anything, and when there may be some availability. Hopefully this is at the end stages and not the beginning.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Re: Atlantic Broadband Tivo deal

I had heard that TiVo would be coming to ABB, but this is the first I've heard about it in a while.

I hope that they will be coming soon, and I hope there's some promotions to encourage people to sign up for them.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

I've heard the same thing for a little while, but that's the first real evidence of any of it materializing.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to JimmyK814

to JimmyK814
I did mention in another thread it is coming. It is still coming, this year as far as we know, and we don't know much more than that yet. The tivo boxes use MoCa and we have just begun deploying MoCa wireless gateways as well. There are a lot of equipment changes in our system coming, and rollout is slow as testing and training is done, but it is coming.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Sounds good. I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out. I'm anxious to see what's coming.
Os
US

Os to ABBJason

to ABBJason
So they're finally going to stop issuing those 1999 Motorola/General Instrument digital cable boxes?

Here in Cumberland, those things were still being installed as of 2011. I couldn't believe it.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Same thing here with the old Scientific Atlanta boxes. Non-HD customers usually get a 10-12 yr old or older STB like an Explorer 3000-3200. HD customers will still be installed with a 2005-2006 8300HDC, but in some cases there are some newer 8652HDC's put out there.

The newest boxes support MPEG-4 which must not be in the works because if it were, you would think they would be slowly swapping out the older ones over time and not still handing them out.

Those $9.95 fees every month for these old things would have paid for them a hundred times over.
JimmyK814

JimmyK814 to ABBJason

to ABBJason
I called and asked yesterday. I talked to the woman who answers the phone when you select "new customers" because I didn't have time to wait on hold.

She said TiVo may be coming by the end of the year but she wasn't sure.

Sadly, she also said that there are no longer any HD upgrades planned in PA. When I referred to the article a while back in the newspaper about additional channels by the end of the year, she said those were now slated for other areas and Pennsylvania will maintain what they have - and Altoona about 50 channels.

When I brought up that other services, i.e. satellite have many more options for HD, she surprisingly started telling me how those channels aren't true HD (which is true if you look at HD Lite discussions) but just when I thought she was knowledgeable, she went on to say that satellite just upgrades standard channels and they modify the "film" so that it looks like HD but it's not.

So now I don't know if she is uninformed, misinformed, or if she really heard that there is no longer any planned upgrades.
Os
US

Os

OK, so if Altoona isn't getting the upgrades, we are. I can live with that. 78 HD channels is not enough as far as I'm concerned.
F34R
join:2007-10-29
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Speed increases?

In the 29812 area, still haven't been upgraded to any tier higher than 15/1.5....

any update on this? I posted back in Jan. and was hoping for something mid year.
F34R

F34R

Re: Speed increases?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on this. The cable peeps told me that it would be in the summer... that has come and gone.
F34R

F34R

ESPN not showing Atlantic Broadband any more?? :(

I was about to watch some sports on ESPN3, but it's not allowing me to select ABB. It's not on the list.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Os
US

Os

Re: ESPN not showing Atlantic Broadband any more?? :(

Anything that airs on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU has been moved to Watch ESPN, a new authenticating service that they launched. Atlantic Broadband does not participate in Watch ESPN at this time.

ESPN3 is only for content that is not offered over the other channels, and has been made all but worthless. ESPN is protecting their TV revenue under this new system.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Re: ESPN not showing Atlantic Broadband any more?? :(

Ahhh, makes sense now. Thank you for the explanation.
Tasogare5
join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

Internet dropping 3-4 times a day for months...Help?

Way back in January 2012 we started having daily disconnects for seemingly no reason. It was infuriating. We had probably over half a dozen tech visits, four different modems, a splitter removed, an amplifier outside changed, wiring from the pole to the house and to the NEXT pole replaced, and NOTHING. Basically from January 2012 to February 2013 we had godawful issues. At best we'd go maybe 4 days without a disconnect, but for the most part it was as bad as ever. Randomly from March 2013 til July 2013 things have been fine other than the expected sporadic disconnect. However, in July...It started back with a vengeance. We had 24 disconnects in July alone and it's only getting worse by the day. It's only August 4th and we're on our twelfth disconnect of the month. I'm about to lose it with this company.

Every time I call support they're just WELL YOUR MODEM LOOKS FINE. Because I'm almost positive it is NOT MY MODEM. The signals are fine every time I look, the SNR is fine, etc. Everything. And every time a tech comes out "Well, it's not showing any problems..." Judging from what shows up in the modem log and the fact EVERY time I crash it's the Upstream light that flashes, I'm almost POSITIVE it's an issue at the local CMTS or somewhere on the line, but ABB -refuses- to check it and constantly says it's my problem. I've spoken with basic tech support, engineers, local supervisors, they refuse to even CHECK the CMTS or lines elsewhere.

Furthermore, for weeks we've only been getting 6-8Mb down instead of the 10Mb line we're supposed to be getting. We have a tech coming out tomorrow because WHY NOT even though I have 0% confidence he's actually going to find anything. For the record, here is my log and signal/power levels/etc, and it's a SBV 5220.

2013-08-04 13:23:56 7-Information B401.0 Authorized
2013-08-04 13:23:54 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received
2013-08-04 13:23:45 5-Warning D03.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
2013-08-04 13:23:24 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:23:07 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:55 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:52 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:52 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:48 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:39 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:26 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:11 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:08 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:55 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:45 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:40 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:35 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:31 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:15 3-Critical T04.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
2013-08-04 13:21:15 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC
2013-08-04 05:20:21 7-Information B401.0 Authorized
2013-08-04 05:20:19 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received
2013-08-04 05:20:15 5-Warning D03.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
2013-08-04 05:19:58 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:45 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:34 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:31 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:30 3-Critical I02.0 REG RSP not received
2013-08-04 05:19:27 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:24 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:23 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:22 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:19 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received

Frequency 519000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 0 dBmV

Channel ID 6
Frequency 20500000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 660
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 46 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [5] 16QAM

Other log errors that have since scrolled off but show up regularly include:

UCC-REQ received with invalid or out of range US channel ID
ucd invalid or channel unusable

Also in the past it used to spam DCC Depart/Arrive messages and end up hanging on the Arrive (I think) before repeating the above garbage, but I haven't seen ANY DCC Arrive/Depart messages or the once-regular "Auth Comp" in months. I don't know if that's relevant but I used to see both every few days. Now it's nothing but error after error after error.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Re: Internet dropping 3-4 times a day for months...Help?

I am going to monitor your modem, we have software that checks the modem status every 5 minutes. This will continue for a 10 day period to see in as much detail as possible what is going on with the connection between the cable modem and our CMTS. I understand your frustration, and we want to help you find and resolve whatever is causing the problem you are seeing. I have looked over your connection, your call and trouble call history, the connections of people in your area, on your street, on your node, and some randomly chosen accounts connected to the same CMTS. I do not think it is a problem with the CMTS. The CMTS is the equipment all modems in a geographic area terminate to. By the nature of what it does, if it has a problem, all modems connecting to it have a problem. Which means we would hear from every caller in your area, and that is not happening. I have looked at other accounts on your node, in your area that have our service and we are not hearing from them about the problems you are describing to us here. We are checking for problems when you bring them to our attention, but we are not finding the problem where you think it is. We can't find other people near you, or in your general region with the same problem you are describing to us. That leads us to conclude the problem is local to your residence which is why we are sending out a technician on a service call.

You also mentioned connection speeds. The package on your account includes Preferred Internet, which is 8mb download and 1mb upload. You should not see 10mb on that connection. If you are under the impression that your package includes 10mb service, you will need to contact customer service to correct the account.

Motorola modem logs, well they just don't mean much. You don't have to take my word for that either. You can look up errors like your modem gets and find other people talking about it, such as. »Re: [Connectivity] No Ranging Response received -
That person is a customer of Comcast with a Motorola modem that spits out errors like yours, "3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out", and other errors and they aren't experiencing service disruptions. The modem logs just don't indicate anything really useful to troubleshooting connectivity problems.

As I said, we will monitor your connection closely on our end, and we do have a service call scheduled. Hopefully we can find the source of your issues soon and help you resolve them.
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

1 edit

Tasogare5

The tech who came out was one of the most thorough yet. He found noise on the ingress and followed the line up through the house to the second floor and found a bad cable connection to a TV as well as a splitter tucked behind a bed. He cut off the cable line and removed the splitter and after testing again he said there was still noise on the line but much less, and thought it might fix it.

Well, it didn't. I had one outage at about 12:55am last night, then a widespread local outage from about 3:15am until 3:45. Woke up to yet another personal outage at 6:05am this morning, and just finished yet another at 12:05am.

Whether it's an issue with the CMTS or not, I don't know what else can be done here. We've changed EVERYTHING, repeatedly. The tech even said looking at the modems we've been through he wasn't even going to swap it out because it clearly isn't helping things. I don't want to keep paying for this kind of service just because it's the only option in the area--because I certainly don't consider Windstream a legitimate option.

The tech also said he recalled engineers indeed finding a line issue at some point, though he didn't give a date so I'm unsure if this coincided with lessened issues on my end. Regardless, if they did in fact find a line issue somewhere, I have no idea why ABB refuses to check it again--other than reasons I've heard firsthand from ex-industry members--ISPs simply don't care to spend money to keep one single customer satisfied if it doesn't balance out.
Tasogare5

Tasogare5

Woke up to another at 8:55am and just finished YET ANOTHER at 2:21pm. Why is nobody doing anything about this? You said it was being monitored pretty much exactly 48 hours ago. Why is nothing being done and nothing being found, then? There have been half a dozen opportunities since you said I was being monitored for your people to see something wrong, but I've heard nothing at all.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to Tasogare5

to Tasogare5
I understand your frustration. We have not forgotten about you. Bottom line, right now we don't know what is wrong with your connection. We are looking. You seem to be under the impression that we are not, when you ask things like why is nobody looking at the lines. I'm not sure why you think we aren't? We are still monitoring your connection. When It has run its 10 day monitoring period, I will have information to communicate to our field dept. to see what our next step is. Again I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry that whatever problem you are having is not one that is simple and easy to fix, but it doesn't look like it is.

dliw
Premium Member
join:2003-03-09
Elsewhere

dliw to Tasogare5

Premium Member

to Tasogare5
Are you using a modem/router combo? Of just a wireless router
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

He has an MTA for phone and internet service, but it does not have a router built in.

dliw
Premium Member
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

Is he using a router at all?
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

4 edits

Tasogare5

She* is using a router, but has had numerous techs on every visit say the router is not the issue, especially since, again, the modem lights are going out. If it was a router issue the modem shouldn't be failing itself.

Just had yet another at 12:55am.

Two local outages in the past three days as well and neither of them repaired a thing in this regard.

Edit: Yet another at 4:03pm on 8/9.

Edit: Still another at 1:08am on 8/10.

Edit: Oh look it's getting even better. Yet another at 2:04am on 8/10. A whole 55 minutes apart now.

If I have to wait 10 days to hear about the quarantine results even though this is supposedly monitoring in real time, why is no one checking the lines again in the meantime when it's already been a proven issue in the past? This is ridiculous. AFAIK Atlantic Broadband is refusing entirely to even look into it even though they know the line has been faulty before. Wherever the issue was, I don't know.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

I'm sorry if I wasn't being clear. We are looking into problems in our lines. This is what you are asking us to do. We are doing it. We have not found anything yet. We will let you know when we do.
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

1 edit

Tasogare5

Two more last night at 11:15pm and 4:50am...

Another today at 1:41pm.

I refuse to believe there's nothing wrong.

dliw
Premium Member
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

What type of router are you using? Newer and up to standards?
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

Not new, but I don't know why the router would be making the modem reboot.

Just had three more disconnects at 8:49pm, 9:00pm, and one in between the two. The modem isn't even registering it anymore in the log, even though I watched the lights themselves flash and reboot during the last two. The last entry in the modem log for some reason is now

2013-10-11 03:45:22 7-Information B401.0 Authorized

as well. I don't even have any idea WHY. This is getting beyond ridiculous. The router is a Linksys WRT54G using firmware version: v1.02.8. But again, I don't know why the router would make the modem *reboot*. Plus this house isn't really in a situation to plug in the modem directly to just one PC. We have four PCs, three tablets, two iDevices, a PS3, and a Wii all on the network. All of the PCs and tablets are used regularly and importantly enough that pulling our wireless is not really an option.

dliw
Premium Member
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

Your router is the problem. We went through this when upgrading a package. Sincerely, do yourself a favor and get a new router. I got a Netgear WNDR3400v2 and it solved the problem.
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

4 edits

Tasogare5

Now this two minutes ago. Go to get a drink and come back to modem flashing. Again. Fourth bloody time today.

2013-08-12 22:06:14 7-Information B401.0 Authorized
2013-08-12 22:06:12 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received
2013-10-11 06:00:42 5-Warning D03.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
2013-10-11 06:00:18 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 06:00:11 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 06:00:09 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 05:59:51 3-Critical T04.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
2013-10-11 05:59:51 7-Information C01.0 UCC-REQ received with invalid or out of range US channel ID
2013-10-11 05:59:51 3-Critical U02.0 UCD invalid or channel unusable
2013-10-11 05:59:42 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 05:59:36 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 05:59:29 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 05:59:22 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-10-11 05:59:19 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Edit: STILL ANOTHER at 1:30am on 8/13. That's six disconnects in the past 12 hours alone.

Edit: And another at 2:30. Now they're only getting closer and closer together.

Edit: 2:56am. Case. in. Point.

Now you say you're looking at the lines, but earlier you said I'm in quarantine and you apparently need 10 days to get something to pass on. Which is it? I'm really supposed to sit here and just listen to "Well sorry no one can figure anything out!" forever?

We're up to thirty-eight disconnects in August alone. That's up 14 more than last month in its entirety and we're not even halfway through August yet. How long am I supposed to put up with this just because you have a monopoly in rural areas!

After seeing these logs and looking into the issue near obsessively, I'm sorry Jason, but I refuse to believe there is not an issue on the line or at the local CMTS somewhere. Are you even IN Uniontown? How do you know whether the local engineers are actually checking things? I have searched religiously for a year and a half about this issue and literally everything has pointed to high utilization and overuse of the CMTS in peak usage times, signal problems on a line, etc. Do not tell me that modem logs mean nothing because that is what they're there for--to mean something. And in this case a horde of repeated T3 timeouts on a near constant basis almost unequivocally points to a problem NOT at the user.
Tasogare5

1 edit

Tasogare5

I'll look into it. Can you explain why the router is making the modem reboot though? Especially when every tech says it doesn't seem to be the issue? (Not that they've helped at all lately...)

I mean I've had some issues with it long ago in the past when I'd get random dc's and it'd need powercycled and nothing showed up in the modem's log, but every time it happens now, well. You see the log. That and every time it happens every light goes off but the Downstream until it reboots.

That AND the last tech said he did still hear a little noise on our ingress...

Edit: I also just remembered this has happened 3 or 4 times while using PS3 Media Server to stream to our den, which of course requires the router to be working, and it didn't interrupt the playback even though it disconnected the internet and booted me off the Playstation Network... :\

dliw
Premium Member
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

The only explanation I can give is that I went through the same problem and getting my own modem (DOCSIS 3.0) and router solved the entire issue. Is the modem issued by ABB DOCSIS 3.0?
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

I WISH. ABB is scumbaggy and won't issue out DOCSIS 3.0 modems without hiking up the price on your contract, nor will they activate DOCSIS 3 features like channel bonding/etc if you purchase your own modem, unless you upgrade your service. I told them in no uncertain terms what they could do if they think I would be strongarmed into paying an extra $25-$30/month just to get working internet. Especially when their price for nothing but 10Mb down is already horrendous. I already begged them for a DOCSIS 3 modem the last time this happened because of all the log errors suggesting channel changing issues and I'd hoped channel bonding would fix it...This seems different though. But I'd still like an up to date modem.

When they replaced it last time this model is even older than the one we had before.

I was searching around other places last night and it saddens me to know Comcast is offering 50Mb down for the SAME PRICE just 20 minutes east of here in Uniontown, but like every other major company has no interest in moving into Middle-of-Nowhere, Greene County.

•••
Tasogare5

Tasogare5

I finally called in and went straight to a supervisor. He said he didn't think the router would be causing the modem to reboot at all. He also said that he saw some noise dropping my upstream SNR down to sub-20 levels. He then synced up the noise graph with the times I had a full drop and they linked up perfectly, but he saw nothing further from the house. So tomorrow we have YET ANOTHER tech coming for reasons unknown. But at least this supervisor narrowed it down to major noise coinciding with reboots from somewhere.

Which makes me wonder why such a clear issue wasn't mentioned in this thread earlier. He also saw a number of smaller bits of noise which may coincide with times I lost connection for 15-30 seconds a few times a day without registering a full reboot. Now I have no idea what this tech is even going to do tomorrow since nothing's been found yet, but hopefully this SNR will lead to something. I still think it's an issue on the line though, rather than at the house. I just wish my knowledge of the subject was enough to get an idea of why it'd be only affecting me and no one else, since that's the excuse that keeps being given to avoid physically checking lines anywhere.
Tasogare5

Tasogare5

I wish any of that made sense to me. XD I'm not much of a hardware person, unfortunately. AFAIK we have no splitters though. At least I think they removed them all during various visits.

Today alone has seen

11:13am (one timeout)
6:41pm (one timeout)
7:05pm (full restart)

I swear if this tech doesn't find anything tomorrow I'm going to have a fit with this company. More than I already have. I also spoke to Comcast this morning and they said unless they buy out Atlantic Broadband they won't be in our area since ABB apparently has a monopoly on this municipality, which is pretty disgusting if you ask me. Though that doesn't explain why Windstream still operates here, then.
Tasogare5

2 edits

Tasogare5

This morning a new tech came and said they did maintenance this morning because apparently Uniontown was aware of some issue and it was not only affecting me despite what literally every single person I called had said. He said they'd call once they were done and had tested it, except...no, no one ever called. Again.

Furthermore whatever they "fixed" didn't seem to do anything at all. I had a random DNS issue this afternoon, followed by another 5 minute disconnect at 1:37am this morning. I can't even look up the cause of this one since it trimmed off my modem log to nothing but "Authorized" either. So... Absolutely no progress made whatsoever.

Edit: The disconnect at 1:37 (and countless more throughout the morning) was from maintenance all around the state from 12-5am. However, I also woke up to two more 5 minute disconnects at 10:00 and around five til 10. So the maintenance didn't do a thing?

Edit 2: Yet another from 12:13-12:15pm. I call the Uniontown supervisor, he's away from his phone. So I call the home office and ask to speak to the supervisor I spoke to earlier and informed him of the maintenance yesterday doing absolutely nothing. So he checks and says the noise on our line is even worse than when he spoke to us the other day. Furthermore he says it's affecting our neighbor, along with our node and the node next to ours for about 150+ people having horrible slowness/noise. So apparently he's harassing the Uniontown supervisor as well and getting someone on it but has no idea when the source of the noise will actually be found. Exactly what was the point of yesterday's work, then? And statewide maintenance apparently didn't do a thing. Heck if what he said is correct regarding levels the "maintenance" only made everything worse.

•••
Tasogare5

1 edit

Tasogare5

silly me thinking anything would actually be done long term.

I've now had two odd disconnects not reported in the modem log at 9:45pm on 8/24 and 2:24am on 8/25.

Following that I had 8:35am, 9:00am, 9:14am, and another not reported in log at 6:51pm on 8/29.

Now today I've had one more at 2:48pm. This is absolutely RIDICULOUS. Why can you people not handle this!? It's been almost two years!

Edit: 9/1 at 1:36am. Really?
Tasogare5

Tasogare5

It's now October, and guess what--Atlantic Broadband's done absolutely nothing. Why am I still posting here? Catharsis of some kind maybe. Or to hopefully warn others of a similar fate, perhaps. If I can warn even two people away from paying this scumbag company any money then they'll cancel me out, and that's enough for me.

Two months shy of two years this has been going on now, and they've done absolutely nothing. I just got done with my seventh disconnect of today alone.
EnerJi
Pacific NW

EnerJi

As someone who has occasionally had to deal with unreliable service, I sympathize.

Have you tried following up with ABBJason? Back in August he was supposed to be setting up some kind of special monitoring for 10 or 30 days to gather more information.

Also, a random thought: have you tried having your cable modem plugged into a UPS? That would rule out noisy / dirty A/C power causing intermittent problems.
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

It is plugged into a UPS unfortunately. And ABB Jason just abandoned this thread months ago. They didn't do a single thing.

I just came back on from the thirteenth disconnect in two days and the fifth today alone...and it's only 6 pm. I am about to call their tech support, grab a supervisor and completely raise hell.

...Because that's ever worked before. The only thing I can do is threaten to lose service completely because we don't HAVE a single other provider in this dump of a county. Not a single one.
EnerJi
Pacific NW

EnerJi

I recall that you've swapped modems multiple times, so combined with the UPS I feel like you've covered just about everything that could be wrong on your side.

Just a thought, but have you tried private messaging ABBJason through this site? I think there was another ABB rep who hung out in this forum, maybe you could PM him/her as well?

Since they don't seem to be active in this thread, I suppose the only other thing you can do now is continue to be the squeaky wheel push your case with tech support. Good luck!
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

Okay.

Maintenance 6 days ago. Replaced "something" outside my house the day after.

Another random -10 minute- outage today. I don't know if it was just me and now it's going to get even worse or if that was something ELSE on their end or WHAT.

Get your fucking act together Atlantic Broadband. I'm sick of playing the nice passive "customer". It's been two months shy of two years. TWO. YEARS.

What kind of company other than an ISP would get away with a defective product for TWO YEARS? Let alone almost EVERY DAY of those two years! "Sorry ma'am, but you may experience brake failure a few times a day!" "Oh, don't worry about your sewage backing up, it happens a couple times a day now and then! Just clean it up!"

But apparently ISPs aren't held to the remotest sense of any "standard".
Tasogare5

Tasogare5

This is just from the last day and a half alone.

10/16/13
1:40pm
2:13pm
5:11pm
7:13pm
10:30pm
10:34pm
10:38pm

10/17/13
5:23pm
7:42pm
jrble819
join:2010-01-22
Cumberland, MD

jrble819

During the drop out period, does it drop out long enough to access the modem status page and get some signal statistics (SNR, power, etc)? Also, do you have cable tv with atlanticbb? If so, any distortion or drop out of that during the modem outage? (Probably more if you have a digital STB). Does the downstream start ranging when the service drops (DS light flashing on modem)?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered, but if there is some sort of wiring issue, it could help to isolate it.
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

No, I can't access the modem when it drops, so I have no idea about any signal or noise issues. When I called their number and asked for a supervisor he said he saw noise corresponding with drops, but apparently they're not exactly doing anything about it.

There is some static and occasional glitchiness on the TV as well, so. I don't know. He said noise is probably causing that too. Still going on. 3-5 times a day. Useless company.
Seanstex3
join:2007-05-18
Crucible, PA

Seanstex3 to Tasogare5

to Tasogare5
Hi Tasogare,

I'm in Rices Landing and have had Atlantic Broadband for my ISP for a year and a few months now. In that year, I've had a tech roughly 4-5 times now to troubleshoot random modem resets ans disconnects.

The last time they were here they stated that the amplifiers were the problem at least on my street also that there's a problem in a line up the road that they will need to have line techs fix(which I have no idea they even did or not).

Since he was last here, I've had maybe 1 or 2 days were it reset once or twice , other than that though it's been good for 4 months.

Though just yesterday and today alone I've noticed around 20 disconnects/resets already. I'm about sick and tired of AB not finding a final solution to this bull crap.

If not fixed by tomorrow, I imagine I'll have to call and have a tech back out so he can tell me the same stuff as usual and run through the horrible phone tech support of "It's your modem or there isn't an issue on our end".

No lie, last time I called, I was told it was my modem and there wasn't anything they could do for me...I then asked to speak with a manager who set up an appointment and had someone out here who confirmed my modem isn't an issue. lol

I do have a splitter on my modem now, maybe I'll try to remove that first to see if it fixes anything.

Best of luck and keep me updated!
Seanstex3

Seanstex3 to Tasogare5

to Tasogare5
Also,

I've switched from Windstream to AB last August. While I may be having some spotty crap issues with AB over the past year... Windstream is absolutely atrocious. Talk about getting speeds of .060 to maybe 1 meg down (on a good day) with 6 down/256K/up connection that I was paying for for 2 years.

With crapstream, I never had an issue staying connected, I just had a connection that made 56K look like Google Fiber.

I had so many techs here from Windstream and multiple messages from their support team on here that just lie, lie, lie. That company is horrible and practices unethical business practices(oversubscribing like it's going out of style).

It sucks Windstream and AB is about our only option around here. :/
Os
US

Os

$2.87 Regional Sports Surcharge Debuts 9/1/13

Checked the bill to see what would be up, knowing that I'd have a $15/month hit for moving into the third year of a triple play already, and found this at the end.

I get it, I really do. I understand programming costs and the way the game works these days. But let's also be aware that you do not carry Comcast SportsNet DC, a regional sports network for this region, and deny cable subscribers this programming from the Wizards, Capitals, DC United, Maryland, and coverage of the Ravens and Redskins.

In addition to that, you offer no separate sports package for those of us who would pay for this programming. Almost every company in the industry offers some package of channels, plenty of sports channels do not demand digital plus carriage. While 30 networks may be featuring sports programming on Atlantic Broadband, the following are not available from Atlantic Broadband:

MLB Network
NHL Network
NBA TV
Tennis Channel (in South Florida)
BTN (on in-market PA systems, not in HD in Uniontown)
ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater
Longhorn Network
Pac-12 Network
CBS Sports Network
Fox Soccer Plus
GolTV
Universal Sports
Univision Deportes
World Fishing Network

With the exception of MLB Network, all of these are available on sports packages across the country, not subsidized by people who don't want them, but paid for with additional fees for people who want them.

This might be bearable if general entertainment networks found on every cable and satellite system in the country were available. Alas, Cooking Channel, Reelz Channel, Smithsonian Channel, G4, Sundance, NatGeo Wild, and FXM. Soon, FXX will be added to this list, unless it is included in negotiations for Fox Sports One. And depending on how much hardball FOX plays, Fox Sports 1 may not be seen here. There is no mention of it within the statement, which during this time Speed will become Fox Sports 1 and Fuel Fox Sports 2.

These are not the offerings of a competitive company, and that's not delving into the HD offerings (where cable mainstays like CMT and VH1 are still in SD only) and where a digital transition has never occurred, where bandwidth is being wasted on a digital simulcast that has been in place for almost a year now.

I don't know what the plan is, but it doesn't seem like there is one other than to run all video subscribers to DirecTV and Dish. What incentive is there to pay for less programming at a higher price?

Can anyone from ABB speak to what is upcoming with FOX Sports 1, if it will be carried, and if FXX, FXM and NatGeo Wild could come along with it? I understand programming costs money, better than probably anyone here. But you have to offer your customers something too, and the offerings are just not there. I know I've said this before, but I'm at a breaking point.
NetLarry
join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

NetLarry

Netgear routers causing DNS failure of service

Certain modems of Netgear routers have been identified as causing a DNS flood due to a router firmware bug:

WNDR4500 and WNR3500Lv2

There may be more models not yet identified but Comcast had verified the issue:

»dns.comcast.net/index.ph ··· -queries

To workaround:
Change DNS from auto to manual and use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).
Os
US

Os

Router Keeps Disconnecting

On Friday, I installed my own modem (Motorola SB6121) and upgraded to the Express service. Since I've done this, I've had multiple disconnects each day, a problem I never had before with my ABB Motorola SBV5222 internet/phone modem.

I use a Cisco router that was purchased in December 2011. Since I had no disconnect issues before, and all lights are constant on the modem, I know that it is no problem with the modem. When I reset the router, it works correctly. It's disconnected 3 times in the last 3 hours.

I only hope that ABB isn't trying to cripple customer owned equipment as a shortsighted attempt to retaliate against customers not willing to pay their ridiculously inflated rental fees for modems.
EnerJi
Pacific NW

EnerJi

Upstream Channel Bonding When?

It would be great to see some higher upstream speeds. I'm in the Miami Beach area.

(By the way, my account status didn't let me reply to ABBJason in a previous thread, so if he happens to see this, I want to mention that a tech came out and changed a loose tap, and my signal strength has stabilized. I'm getting better performance, although I still get a lot of lag and buffering with Amazon Instant Video in the evenings.)
System

Anon

[NEWS] Atlantic Broadband First to Lease TiVo Roamio

»Atlantic Broadband First to Lease TiVo Roamio [5] comments - posted on the home page
Os
US

Os

Downstream Channel Bonding Off in Cumberland

For the last week, downstream channel bonding has been off on my SB6121 modem for my Express (20/2) service.

It has been affecting speedtests, latency is up, speeds aren't going much higher than 15 Mbps.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Re: Downstream Channel Bonding Off in Cumberland

Please contact me. PM or call us at 888-536-9600. I need to check your modem.
Os
US

Os

Speed Upgrades in Cumberland?

According to ABB's own website, Express is now 30/3 and Unleashed is 75/5 in Cumberland, previously 20/2 and 40/3. These were the speeds available in South Florida before.

I'm glad to see the speeds increasing, although I haven't noticed any change in speed on my end yet, per Speedtest.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Re: Speed Upgrades in Cumberland?

You may need to get a hit sent to your modem. They usually do this overnights to get all the equipment updated, sometimes they don't take or they may not have gotten to your node/modem yet. You can always call in and we can hit your modem specifically.
Psu85
join:2013-11-19
Duncansville, PA

Psu85

ABB Altoona Pa adding new HD channels

I received a letter about a week ago which stated that they will be adding new HD channels in early 2014.
Os
US

Os

Re: ABB Altoona Pa adding new HD channels

In my experience here in Cumberland, letters get sent out well after the fact. Here in 2012 and 2013, they had announced after the fact that they had added HD channels. 2012's were supposed to be there January 1st, they turned up in the guide on Christmas Eve. In 2013, they turned up in Feburary or so. Each time here, 12 HD channels were added.

The only way I found out about them is that they turned up in the guide. I'd check that everyday, and you'll probably be surprised at some point in December.

Whenever you know what channels are being added, post them here. It is pathetic that markets as large as Altoona and Johnstown have not yet hit 50 HD channels.
Os

Os to Psu85

to Psu85
In doing some research, tvguide.com usually has the most updated guides for Atlantic Broadband. In pulling up Altoona, I noticed that ION, PBS World and C-SPAN 2 had been moved into the 100's in the digital tier. This temporary relocation is what happened when Clearfield went all digital.

Atlantic Broadband has set up a website called Get Digital, but this only shows information from Clearfield, who went all digital in August/September, and for Shippenville in Clarion County. There is no information for Altoona/Johnstown, but I think it's very possible they're going all digital.

This will mean Value customers will need digital transport adapters (DTA's). Basic is remaining analog for now it seems. This means for now local channels must remain unencrypted per FCC order.
Os

1 edit

Os

GSN to be dropped, Pivot to be added 1/1/14 in Cumberland

According to the latest bill, GSN is being dropped in Cumberland and Pivot will be added in its place on channel 34. I am guessing GSN will be dropped companywide.

While Pivot is a good channel (I have it on DirecTV), a lot of old people like GSN, and they'll be angry.

Atlantic Broadband's TV product continues to remain with a severe programming deficit, and that deficit is growing. I'm so glad I switched to DirecTV.
robry
Premium Member
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

new speeds

looks like 'express' went to 30/3 and 'unleased' went to 75/5

I'm in the process of moving in with my girlfriend in State College in the next few months so I backed my package down from unleashed to express to save money since I need internet at her place for work (she used a vzw mifi before lol)

has anyone gotten the bump to 75/5 yet? How is it?

•••
redpenguin
join:2010-06-17
united state

redpenguin

Atlantic Broadband Upgrades Consumer Modem FW?

I am attempting to find out if it's ABB's policy to upgrade the firmware on your own consumer router.

I will be obtaining a Motorola/Arris SB6141.

I noticed online they stated it can be good to have an ISP that will upgrade FW but some ISPs have a policy to not touch consumer owned devices while others will do it anyway.

Does anybody know ABB's stance on the issue?
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Re: Atlantic Broadband Upgrades Consumer Modem FW?

The device you listed the SB6141 is a modem. We do maintain the firmware on all modems that connect to our system, customer owned or leased.
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

Re: Atlantic Broadband Upgrades Consumer Modem FW?

Thanks again for the info. Couldn't find anything online and wasn't sure what agent to ask.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

At the point where I'll cancel my internet service

I talked with a guy at the local office, and he doesn't have any idea when, if ever, our speeds will increase in the 29812 area.

At this point, I can just use my LTE connection and save the money by canceling my 15/1.5 plan.

I average 40-50Mb/s down and 10-20Mb/s up with my LTE, and it's unlimited.

Anyone know of abb increasing the speeds here? 29812?
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Re: At the point where I'll cancel my internet service

We don't have any information on when we may be upgrading service in that area. Sorry.
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

Channel Bonding only on Consumer Owned Modems?

I'm in the Johnstown area and have the "Express" service.

I was renting for a while the SB6121 (4down/4up-channel bonding) from ABB and just last week bought my own SB6141 (8down/4up channel bonding) to "future-proof" myself somewhat, so I don't need a newer modem in only 2 years.

Yet I noticed something I can't quite explain.

ABB's modem only ever "connected" to a single downstream channel "97". Same thing with my buddy's same modem and service in the JTown area.

Yet my newer SB6141 oddly enough is linking to a total of 8 channels, 97-104.

I thought the SB6121 would at least link to 4 of the 8, or is there something that channel bonding needs to use all 8?

••••••••
Os
US

Os

New Rate Increases 1/29/14

All the TV packages go up anywhere from $2 to $5, they're raising HD another $1, wire maintenance another $1, modems another $1 ($8/month, really?). And all internet plans go up another $2.

They justify this by saying they have TiVo (Nobody in their right mind with a choice still has their TV service), up to 75 Mbps internet, and they added Pivot (Except you dropped TVGN and GSN).
redpenguin
united state

1 edit

redpenguin

T3 timeouts are at ISP's end?

From reading material online, I always thought T3 timeouts were due to bad signal or whatever on your line at any given time.

Yet after checking modems of others in the JTown area, I have noticed that all the modems seem to have the T3 times synced as if the T3s affected the whole area each time.

All the modems I believe used the Prospect head end as it's all Downtown and West End.
Tasogare5
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

Re: T3 timeouts are at ISP's end?

This is exactly what's been happening to me for over a year now. ABB will tell you constantly it's only on your end, then months later you'll hear them say "Oh it's a problem affecting your whole node!" then give you some more bullshit runaround and never fix it.

Even when they claim they "repaired" something it must be with duct tape because it never lasts for more than a week before it's right back to daily disconnects.

I've had 7 in the past 36 hours now alone and I just gave up and accepted it. There's no alternative and ABB knows customers don't have anywhere to move, so why put the effort and money into repairing anything? There's no need for stability when it's either "shitty internet or no internet at all."

Meanwhile ABB Jason posts here supposedly but doesn't seem to know anything at all, nor provide any actual help. Just read my topic for the idiotic runaround and how useless they've been.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next