dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Atlantic Broadband - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · next
osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD

1 edit

ABB Ultimate HD Channel Thread 2013

With the updates here in Cumberland, the post I did before is too old to reply to. To keep this current, I will be posting a monthly update, even if there is no change.

Cumberland: 50 national HD channels, 14 premium HD channels, 64 total (0 PPV)
Altoona/Johnstown: 30 national HD channels, 7 premium HD channels, 37 total (0 PPV)
Uniontown: 48 national HD channels, 23 premium HD channels, 71 total (0 PPV)
Eastern Shore: 57 national HD channels, 31 premium HD channels, 88 total (1 PPV)
South Florida: 66 national HD channels, 12 premium HD channels, 78 total (1 PPV)
South Carolina: 44 national HD channels, 6 premium HD channels, 50 total (0 PPV)

Everywhere: These HD channels are in all 6 clusters. I count 26 of these.

A&E HD
ABC Family HD
Animal Planet HD
Bio. HD
CNBC HD
CNN HD
Discovery HD
Disney HD
E! HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
Fox News HD
FX HD
HGTV HD
History HD
Lifetime HD
National Geographic HD
NFL Network HD
Science HD
Syfy HD
TBS HD
TLC HD
TNT HD
USA HD
Velocity HD

Wide: These HD channels are in at least 50% of the clusters. Listed beside these are the clusters missing them. I count 25 of these.

AMC HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, South Carolina)
Bravo HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Cartoon Network HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
CMT HD (Cumberland, Altoona/Johnstown)
Comedy Central HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Disney XD HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
ESPNEWS HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Florida, South Carolina)*
ESPNU HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, Eastern Shore)
Golf Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Hallmark Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
HLN HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, South Carolina)
IFC HD (Altoona/Johnstown, Uniontown, South Carolina)
LMN HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
MSNBC HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
MTV HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
NBC Sports Network HD (South Carolina)
NFL RedZone HD (Uniontown)
Nickelodeon HD (Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
Speed HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Spike HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Travel Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
truTV HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
TCM HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
VH1 HD (Cumberland, Altoona/Johnstown, South Carolina)
Weather Channel HD (Altoona/Johnstown)

*-I included ESPNEWS HD for Cumberland as MASN2 HD (channel 748) airs ESPNEWS 24 hours a day except during baseball season, where it airs it 20 hours a day (4 hours being for overflow Orioles/Nationals pregame, game and postgame show)

Limited: These HD channels are in less than 50% of the clusters. Here I list the clusters that have these channels. I count 21 of these.

AXS.TV HD (South Florida, South Carolina)
BBC America HD (South Florida)
BET HD (South Florida)
BTN HD (Altoona/Johnstown)
Destination America HD (Eastern Shore)
Fox Business Network HD (Cumberland, South Florida)
Hallmark Movie Channel HD (South Florida)
HDNet Movies (South Florida, South Carolina)
H2 HD (South Florida)
HSN HD (Uniontown, Eastern Shore)
ID HD (Eastern Shore, South Florida)
NatGeo Wild HD (Eastern Shore)
OWN HD (Eastern Shore, South Florida)
Outdoor Channel HD (Cumberland, Altoona/Johnstown)
Oxygen HD (South Florida)
QVC HD (Uniontown, Eastern Shore)
Smithsonian Channel HD (South Florida)
Style HD (Eastern Shore, South Florida)
TBN HD (South Florida)
Tennis Channel HD (South Florida)
Wealth TV HD (South Florida)

Premiums: These 6 are everywhere.

HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Starz Kids & Family, Encore, Showtime

HBO 2, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Latino, Showtime 2, Starz Edge, Starz Comedy and The Movie Channel are Wide.

In total, there are 103 HD channels in the ABB sphere now, and that's getting closer to the bigger guys. But everyone has room for improvement.

The everywhere channels will grow immensely once Altoona/Johnstown gets some love.

NikAmi

join:2009-09-12
Easton, PA

Re: ABB Ultimate HD Channel Thread 2013

I would rather have ABB focus on improving the picture quality in their current HD channels than add new ones at the same crappy quality that we see currently. There is something seriously wrong, when my $35 Raspberry Pi board with an ESPN app can stream better quality video, by a wide margin, than what ABB's ESPNHD channel provides. Why even bother having cake TV service if I can get far better picture quality over the Internet? Every time I watch TV I am constantly pulled out of the experience by picture noise and artifacts. Hulu/Netflix and an OTA antennae is looking like a damn good option right about now.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

We have no issues with the HD channels here.
ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA
Please feel free to contact customer service if you have picture noise and artifacts. That is not normal, you are experiencing a problem.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

1 edit
Atlantic Broadband is the cable company in Moorefield, WV (population 2,544). Their lineup there in this small town offers a very small digital package, no HD, and internet speeds up to 15/1.5 Mbps.

HardyNet, the local rural telephone cooperative, is launching a FTTH service and this week, unveiled their channel lineup. They're going to launch with a very comprehensive channel lineup including 137 HD channels with local stations out of DC, Harrisonburg and Clarksburg.

Ouch.

Also, it should be added Local on the 8's are live on Weather Channel HD (channel 762) and that the HD feeds have the capability to have local ads spliced into cable, which has not happened before.
osravens

Cumberland, MD
I'm just keeping this updated, nothing has changed that I've seen, but TVGN has indeed been dropped throughout the company.

The HD options from Atlantic Broadband continue to be less than every other cable company and much lesser than either satellite platform.
osravens

Cumberland, MD
Just keeping this updated, Clearfield has had all value channels go digital from 18 up, so they will be receiving a lot of new HD channels. Considering they only had 19 to start with, that will be welcome for them.

No sign of SDV in Altoona/Johnstown yet, and nothing new in Cumberland. Because of the lack of HD, I left last month for DirecTV, but I will keep following this, and I do hope Atlantic Broadband catches up at some point to provide greater choice to the marketplace. If they can do so in the next 2 years, I might return for TV.
JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

Reluctantly I've done the same thing. I literally waited for three years for HD channel additions before giving up.

The internet is still the best option in this area, but otherwise...
osravens

Cumberland, MD

I don't think they're motivated. I think they're an internet company first now (which might not be all that bad a strategy). They're getting whatever people still want analog cable screwed in from the wall, and whatever people want their services all from one company.

For the most part, everyone else down here is leaving for one of the dishes.

Psu85

@atlanticbb.net
Is the Directv HD as good of quality as what atlantic bb was? I agree this is ridiculous here in Altoona. For what I pay for internet, hd etc they should have more. An ABB employee told me that Comcast was coming to Altoona but I don't think they ever overlap coverage. She had told me they were going to be upgrading things because of this but this was about a year ago and I have not seen anything new out of them except for price increases. Not only the channels but even the apps for watching things on your computer, ABB is so far behind.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Yes, it is. ABB's HD here (Take into account Cumberland has an additional 30 HD channels to you guys in Altoona/Johnstown) has really become less high quality.

With that said, Netflix to me is superior to any pay provider in terms of image quality. But DirecTV is very good, and I'd say better than ABB now. And you'll get a ton more HD channels.

The Genie is light years ahead of anything ABB will give you for a whole-home DVR.

Send me a message. DirecTV has a referral program where you get $10 a month by being referred from a customer. I'd be happy to get you the necessary information if you wanted to switch.

If you want HD and ABB is your cable company, you will be so much happier with DirecTV. You'll actually be able to watch everything in HD.
osravens

Cumberland, MD
Clearfield is getting 24 new HD channels after Value went digital there. Basic is still analog.

Clearfield added AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Bravo HD, BTN HD, E! HD, Food Network HD, FX HD, Hallmark HD, HGTV HD, Lifetime HD, MTV HD, National Geographic HD, NBC Sports Network HD, NFL Network HD, TLC HD, truTV HD, HBO HD, HBO 2 HD, Cinemax HD, MoreMax HD, Showtime HD, Showtime 2 HD, Starz HD and Encore HD.

Of course, while this is good to see, these are channels that almost every other provider has had for 5 years.
JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Slower internet speeds

This is the first I've noticed it... but like another has mentioned in a different market, speeds are beginning to slow during prime hours.

I pay for the 40/3 service in Altoona. In the past couple of weeks it won't go above 18-20 during 6-9pm. As it gets later in the evening it slowly climbs back up to the advertised speeds.

Seems to be saturation of bandwidth based on the observation of peak vs. off peak hours.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Re: Slower internet speeds

Saturation is usually dependent on the node and how many lines are subscribed on to it.

They might need to split the node. There's not many connections on my node it seems (A lot of retirees, less computer literate types).
JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

This is the first in probably 10 years I've seen speeds drop below advertised speeds. I always thought that was commendable!

Perhaps it will be temporary.
robry
Premium
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA
I have 40/3 in Johnstown, I'll do some tests tonight around those times and see how it looks.

also, can you do a test to speedtest.atlanticbb.net vs like www.speedtest.net ?

the one at atlantic stays in their network, so that will tell you if it's a node/area thing, versus abb's connection to the upstream internet.
JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Cool, thanks. That's the one I've been using to test with. I've tried speedtest.net additionally, and it's very close to the same at those times.

It's been a week or so since I've checked so I'll have to try again as well. It's perfect at obscure times such as 4 am when I should be sleeping.
robry
Premium
Bellefonte, PA
you know I haven't been around much during those times. I'll try tonight, I should be around, it worked good on my friends new S4, he was getting 40Mbit over wifi at 10PM
osravens

Cumberland, MD

TV Guide Network Dropped in Cumberland Effective 6/30

TV Guide Network (channel 2) will be dropped per my latest statement on June 30th here. I couldn't care less, but some older people with analog only will be quite upset. I don't know if this change applies to all of the regions, but it does here.

I would like to see the full-screen version of the channel, who appears to have some decent programming.

One less analog channel, two more HD channels would be a nice little deal to make, I would think.
JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Re: TV Guide Network Dropped in Cumberland Effective 6/30

When they dropped KDKA in Altoona, the CBS affiliate from Pittsburgh, they didn't bother replacing it. They just simulcast WTAJ from channel 5 on channel 2. Seems like a waste of a prime spot.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Re: TV Guide Network Dropped in Cumberland Effective 6/30

It's a nice thought to use the bandwidth, at least.

Has there ever been any word on those dozens of promised HD channels using SDV in Altoona/Johnstown? I figure our next additions may come from whatever you guys get when it goes to 80-100 HD channels there.

If I were guessing, and 100 HD channels is the goal, that we'd get the following:

QVC HD
HSN HD
VH1 HD
OWN HD
Oxygen HD
BET HD
CMT HD
Style HD
Destination America HD
H2 HD
ID HD
ESPNEWS HD
HBO Latino HD
MoreMax HD
ActionMax HD
Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime Beyond HD
TMC Xtra HD

That's 18 that would take us to 96.

Altoona/Johnstown have less locals than us, but would get added premiums from HBO Comedy HD, HBO Zone HD and ThrillerMax HD which are not carried here. Without adding some channels not in the system, there's not much else they can add than that. I would really like to see GSN HD, TV Land HD, Hub HD and Fuel HD with the pending Fox Sports 2 HD conversion, not including channels we don't currently have available in any form.

NikAmi

Easton, PA

Which STBs are available in South Florida?

I have a condo in Sunny Isles Beach Florida and we have ABB for TV/Internet. I abhor the picture quality and cable box we have down here because our RCN cable TV and TiVo boxes at home are so much nicer. I know I can't do anything about the PQ, but I was wondering if there were any other boxes available (perhaps newer models) so that I could swing by their office, swap the box and install the new one myself. Right now I'm using a Cisco Explorer 4652HDC and the guide is piss poor and the box takes forever to switch channels. Honestly, it's so bad that I hardly watch TV on it. I should mention that I only want an HDTV tuner box because I don't want to pay extra for a DVR that hardly ever gets used.

NikAmi

Easton, PA

Re: Which STBs are available in South Florida?

Hmmm...almost 40 unique views and not a single response. Anybody care to chime in?

Mountaintech

join:2003-05-30
Cumberland, MD
You can purchase a TiVo unit and have a cable card installed or purchase a Cable card ready TV if you can find one. Each has it's pro's & con's though.

NikAmi

Easton, PA
Nah... I don't feel like blowing a couple hundred bucks on a set top box and then another hundred or so a year for service when it would get used so little. The nice thing about the TiVo at home is that it is provided by the cable company so there is no additional cost aside from the box rental fee.

NikAmi

Easton, PA

Service outage

For at least the third time today, I am experiencing a service outage. No phone or Internet, but TV appears to be working. Furthermore, ABB's customer support numbers, both toll free and local, are going straight to a busy signal. This is the second time in less than two weeks that I've had to put up with an extended outage. Kind of ridiculous in my mind. I'm so glad I don't have to live down here or I'd have probably built my own ISP by now.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

Re: Service outage

I'm sorry that you experienced an outage of our service. I apologize that it was hard to get ahold of us, as you can imagine, whenever we have a large problem, a lot of people call. We have many many lines in our call center, but as all call centers, if enough people call us our lines can ring busy. If there is anything we can assist you with, please let us know.
EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL

Terrible reliability in Miami Beach

Over the past two weeks my Internet service has been horribly unreliable, with my modem rebooting multiple times per day or experiencing T-3 timeouts which interrupt my ability to use the Internet.

I've tried calling a few times and each time there seems to be some kind of "maintenance" or "known issue" going on. I got fed up and called again today after another outage, and this time I have a tech coming out to see me tomorrow.

Is this happening to anyone else? Has anyone had luck getting some credits for periods of poor service such as the one I am experiencing?
GaryK
Premium
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL

Re: Terrible reliability in Miami Beach

T-3 timeouts seem to be the norm down here in South Miami, even when using a modem provided by ABB. Streaming video is typically interrupted 3-5 times an hour for 5-15 seconds at a time while the modem reboots. I long ago stopped calling support about this because all they ever did was use one of two excuses: 1) Nobody else is reporting an issue so it must be you; and then they'll offer to roll a truck 2-3 days later, or 2) If it's between midnight and 6AM I get the "maintenance window" excuse.

A few years ago after Internet/TV/Phone were all down for about three days I called in to request a credit, was eventually told I'd get one, but it never actually happened. After a month or so of followup calls I lost interest and gave up.

I hope you have better luck than I've had.
EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL

Unfortunately my reliability hasn't improved. I've called a couple more times, and one time got the "maintenance in your area" schtick. The second time I assumed there was more maintenance going on. After over 12 hours of unusable Internet I finally lost patience and called, only to be told that it was only first reported a couple of hours previously, and that they were "working on it." (Next time I'll try to call it in right away to have the issue logged.)

When the situation wasn't resolved the following day, I called again, and this time they scheduled a truck roll for two days later. Predictably, later that day the situation resolved itself.

I now have a technician scheduled to come tomorrow to test a cable modem that is working flawlessly. I realize diagnosing intermittent issues are very difficult - any suggestions on things I can do to get him/her to help identify the reliability problem and get it resolved once and for all? My downstream signal levels are fine, but upstream power level bounces between 48 and the low 50s, which is technically "just" in range, but I suspect when things go bad it might be edging just out of range. I also wonder if the upstream SNR (which I can not view from the cable modem stats) is also showing problems on my node.

If this technician isn't able to help, is there any way to escalate to someone in ABB engineering?
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

We can put your modem on a 10 day monitoring that will poll the service levels of the modem in 5 minute intervals. Our normal data is polled every couple of hours. Signal levels fluctuating could cause problem, but in my experience most peoples signal levels move a little. 48-50db isn't a big swing, and honestly the system in miami tolerates as high as 54db without issue regularly.

The technician should still do a few things even if it is working at the moment he arrives. We do understand intermittent issues happen. Usually they check levels at several points, replace f-connectors (most common failure point) if he can't find anything else.

I would suggest you call after your visit from the technician, request the modem be put on 10 day monitoring (we call it probation) and we can look for more information to try to identify the problem if it persists.
JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Atlantic Broadband Tivo deal

In Tivo's press release for May 23rd, they mention:

"Additionally, we signed a distribution deal with Atlantic Broadband, the 12th largest U.S. MSO, who has over 250,000 subscribers in seven states on the East Coast."

I suspect this means we may soon have an alternative to the horrible DVR software on the current STBs.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard anything, and when there may be some availability. Hopefully this is at the end stages and not the beginning.

••••••••
F34R

join:2007-10-29

Speed increases?

In the 29812 area, still haven't been upgraded to any tier higher than 15/1.5....

any update on this? I posted back in Jan. and was hoping for something mid year.
F34R

Re: Speed increases?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on this. The cable peeps told me that it would be in the summer... that has come and gone.
F34R

ESPN not showing Atlantic Broadband any more?? :(

I was about to watch some sports on ESPN3, but it's not allowing me to select ABB. It's not on the list.

Am I doing something wrong here?

osravens

Cumberland, MD

Re: ESPN not showing Atlantic Broadband any more?? :(

Anything that airs on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU has been moved to Watch ESPN, a new authenticating service that they launched. Atlantic Broadband does not participate in Watch ESPN at this time.

ESPN3 is only for content that is not offered over the other channels, and has been made all but worthless. ESPN is protecting their TV revenue under this new system.
F34R

Re: ESPN not showing Atlantic Broadband any more?? :(

Ahhh, makes sense now. Thank you for the explanation.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

Internet dropping 3-4 times a day for months...Help?

Way back in January 2012 we started having daily disconnects for seemingly no reason. It was infuriating. We had probably over half a dozen tech visits, four different modems, a splitter removed, an amplifier outside changed, wiring from the pole to the house and to the NEXT pole replaced, and NOTHING. Basically from January 2012 to February 2013 we had godawful issues. At best we'd go maybe 4 days without a disconnect, but for the most part it was as bad as ever. Randomly from March 2013 til July 2013 things have been fine other than the expected sporadic disconnect. However, in July...It started back with a vengeance. We had 24 disconnects in July alone and it's only getting worse by the day. It's only August 4th and we're on our twelfth disconnect of the month. I'm about to lose it with this company.

Every time I call support they're just WELL YOUR MODEM LOOKS FINE. Because I'm almost positive it is NOT MY MODEM. The signals are fine every time I look, the SNR is fine, etc. Everything. And every time a tech comes out "Well, it's not showing any problems..." Judging from what shows up in the modem log and the fact EVERY time I crash it's the Upstream light that flashes, I'm almost POSITIVE it's an issue at the local CMTS or somewhere on the line, but ABB -refuses- to check it and constantly says it's my problem. I've spoken with basic tech support, engineers, local supervisors, they refuse to even CHECK the CMTS or lines elsewhere.

Furthermore, for weeks we've only been getting 6-8Mb down instead of the 10Mb line we're supposed to be getting. We have a tech coming out tomorrow because WHY NOT even though I have 0% confidence he's actually going to find anything. For the record, here is my log and signal/power levels/etc, and it's a SBV 5220.

2013-08-04 13:23:56 7-Information B401.0 Authorized
2013-08-04 13:23:54 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received
2013-08-04 13:23:45 5-Warning D03.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
2013-08-04 13:23:24 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:23:07 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:55 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:52 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:52 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:48 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:39 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:26 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:11 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:22:08 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:55 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:45 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:40 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:35 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:31 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 13:21:15 3-Critical T04.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
2013-08-04 13:21:15 3-Critical R07.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC
2013-08-04 05:20:21 7-Information B401.0 Authorized
2013-08-04 05:20:19 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received
2013-08-04 05:20:15 5-Warning D03.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
2013-08-04 05:19:58 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:45 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:34 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:31 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:30 3-Critical I02.0 REG RSP not received
2013-08-04 05:19:27 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:24 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:23 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:22 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2013-08-04 05:19:19 5-Warning C04.1 rgstToD request sent - Response received

Frequency 519000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 0 dBmV

Channel ID 6
Frequency 20500000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 660
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 46 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [5] 16QAM

Other log errors that have since scrolled off but show up regularly include:

UCC-REQ received with invalid or out of range US channel ID
ucd invalid or channel unusable

Also in the past it used to spam DCC Depart/Arrive messages and end up hanging on the Arrive (I think) before repeating the above garbage, but I haven't seen ANY DCC Arrive/Depart messages or the once-regular "Auth Comp" in months. I don't know if that's relevant but I used to see both every few days. Now it's nothing but error after error after error.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
osravens

Cumberland, MD

$2.87 Regional Sports Surcharge Debuts 9/1/13

Checked the bill to see what would be up, knowing that I'd have a $15/month hit for moving into the third year of a triple play already, and found this at the end.

I get it, I really do. I understand programming costs and the way the game works these days. But let's also be aware that you do not carry Comcast SportsNet DC, a regional sports network for this region, and deny cable subscribers this programming from the Wizards, Capitals, DC United, Maryland, and coverage of the Ravens and Redskins.

In addition to that, you offer no separate sports package for those of us who would pay for this programming. Almost every company in the industry offers some package of channels, plenty of sports channels do not demand digital plus carriage. While 30 networks may be featuring sports programming on Atlantic Broadband, the following are not available from Atlantic Broadband:

MLB Network
NHL Network
NBA TV
Tennis Channel (in South Florida)
BTN (on in-market PA systems, not in HD in Uniontown)
ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater
Longhorn Network
Pac-12 Network
CBS Sports Network
Fox Soccer Plus
GolTV
Universal Sports
Univision Deportes
World Fishing Network

With the exception of MLB Network, all of these are available on sports packages across the country, not subsidized by people who don't want them, but paid for with additional fees for people who want them.

This might be bearable if general entertainment networks found on every cable and satellite system in the country were available. Alas, Cooking Channel, Reelz Channel, Smithsonian Channel, G4, Sundance, NatGeo Wild, and FXM. Soon, FXX will be added to this list, unless it is included in negotiations for Fox Sports One. And depending on how much hardball FOX plays, Fox Sports 1 may not be seen here. There is no mention of it within the statement, which during this time Speed will become Fox Sports 1 and Fuel Fox Sports 2.

These are not the offerings of a competitive company, and that's not delving into the HD offerings (where cable mainstays like CMT and VH1 are still in SD only) and where a digital transition has never occurred, where bandwidth is being wasted on a digital simulcast that has been in place for almost a year now.

I don't know what the plan is, but it doesn't seem like there is one other than to run all video subscribers to DirecTV and Dish. What incentive is there to pay for less programming at a higher price?

Can anyone from ABB speak to what is upcoming with FOX Sports 1, if it will be carried, and if FXX, FXM and NatGeo Wild could come along with it? I understand programming costs money, better than probably anyone here. But you have to offer your customers something too, and the offerings are just not there. I know I've said this before, but I'm at a breaking point.
NetLarry

join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

Netgear routers causing DNS failure of service

Certain modems of Netgear routers have been identified as causing a DNS flood due to a router firmware bug:

WNDR4500 and WNR3500Lv2

There may be more models not yet identified but Comcast had verified the issue:

»dns.comcast.net/index.php/entry/···-queries

To workaround:
Change DNS from auto to manual and use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Router Keeps Disconnecting

On Friday, I installed my own modem (Motorola SB6121) and upgraded to the Express service. Since I've done this, I've had multiple disconnects each day, a problem I never had before with my ABB Motorola SBV5222 internet/phone modem.

I use a Cisco router that was purchased in December 2011. Since I had no disconnect issues before, and all lights are constant on the modem, I know that it is no problem with the modem. When I reset the router, it works correctly. It's disconnected 3 times in the last 3 hours.

I only hope that ABB isn't trying to cripple customer owned equipment as a shortsighted attempt to retaliate against customers not willing to pay their ridiculously inflated rental fees for modems.
EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL

Upstream Channel Bonding When?

It would be great to see some higher upstream speeds. I'm in the Miami Beach area.

(By the way, my account status didn't let me reply to ABBJason in a previous thread, so if he happens to see this, I want to mention that a tech came out and changed a loose tap, and my signal strength has stabilized. I'm getting better performance, although I still get a lot of lag and buffering with Amazon Instant Video in the evenings.)
System

[NEWS] Atlantic Broadband First to Lease TiVo Roamio

»Atlantic Broadband First to Lease TiVo Roamio - posted on the home page
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Downstream Channel Bonding Off in Cumberland

For the last week, downstream channel bonding has been off on my SB6121 modem for my Express (20/2) service.

It has been affecting speedtests, latency is up, speeds aren't going much higher than 15 Mbps.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

Re: Downstream Channel Bonding Off in Cumberland

Please contact me. PM or call us at 888-536-9600. I need to check your modem.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Speed Upgrades in Cumberland?

According to ABB's own website, Express is now 30/3 and Unleashed is 75/5 in Cumberland, previously 20/2 and 40/3. These were the speeds available in South Florida before.

I'm glad to see the speeds increasing, although I haven't noticed any change in speed on my end yet, per Speedtest.
ABBJason

Altoona, PA

Re: Speed Upgrades in Cumberland?

You may need to get a hit sent to your modem. They usually do this overnights to get all the equipment updated, sometimes they don't take or they may not have gotten to your node/modem yet. You can always call in and we can hit your modem specifically.
Psu85

join:2013-11-19
Duncansville, PA

ABB Altoona Pa adding new HD channels

I received a letter about a week ago which stated that they will be adding new HD channels in early 2014.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

Re: ABB Altoona Pa adding new HD channels

In my experience here in Cumberland, letters get sent out well after the fact. Here in 2012 and 2013, they had announced after the fact that they had added HD channels. 2012's were supposed to be there January 1st, they turned up in the guide on Christmas Eve. In 2013, they turned up in Feburary or so. Each time here, 12 HD channels were added.

The only way I found out about them is that they turned up in the guide. I'd check that everyday, and you'll probably be surprised at some point in December.

Whenever you know what channels are being added, post them here. It is pathetic that markets as large as Altoona and Johnstown have not yet hit 50 HD channels.
osravens

Cumberland, MD
In doing some research, tvguide.com usually has the most updated guides for Atlantic Broadband. In pulling up Altoona, I noticed that ION, PBS World and C-SPAN 2 had been moved into the 100's in the digital tier. This temporary relocation is what happened when Clearfield went all digital.

Atlantic Broadband has set up a website called Get Digital, but this only shows information from Clearfield, who went all digital in August/September, and for Shippenville in Clarion County. There is no information for Altoona/Johnstown, but I think it's very possible they're going all digital.

This will mean Value customers will need digital transport adapters (DTA's). Basic is remaining analog for now it seems. This means for now local channels must remain unencrypted per FCC order.
osravens

Cumberland, MD

1 edit

GSN to be dropped, Pivot to be added 1/1/14 in Cumberland

According to the latest bill, GSN is being dropped in Cumberland and Pivot will be added in its place on channel 34. I am guessing GSN will be dropped companywide.

While Pivot is a good channel (I have it on DirecTV), a lot of old people like GSN, and they'll be angry.

Atlantic Broadband's TV product continues to remain with a severe programming deficit, and that deficit is growing. I'm so glad I switched to DirecTV.
robry
Premium
Bellefonte, PA

new speeds

looks like 'express' went to 30/3 and 'unleased' went to 75/5

I'm in the process of moving in with my girlfriend in State College in the next few months so I backed my package down from unleashed to express to save money since I need internet at her place for work (she used a vzw mifi before lol)

has anyone gotten the bump to 75/5 yet? How is it?

•••