dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
Acanac - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 54 · 55 · 56 · next
Gladman911
join:2002-12-07
Pickering, ON

Gladman911

How's the service?

Thinking of dumping Rogers, now that I am paying $50/month after my 3 month free trial.

How's everyone enjoying the service now, after they've apparently upgraded their network?

DragonBoy
@acanac.net

DragonBoy

Anon

Re: How's the service?

i just signed up for their free trial and i'm giving them a shot, seems to be working pretty well

not sure when the free trial is over, but i always have my bell account to fall back on i guess
Gladman911
join:2002-12-07
Pickering, ON

Gladman911

there's a free trial? or is that just the 30 day guarantee you're looking at?

CanadaBoy
@rogers.com

CanadaBoy

Anon

Acanac wont provide me with DSL filters

Summary:

I sent a PM to Acanac INC, was told I could purchase filters for $5 each, without the purchase of a modem.

Hey Paul,
I dont need to rent a modem for $50 but I do need DSL filters (obviously Razz)
Are they included in the $18.95 ?

The filters come with the modem not with the DSL service. We can ship you some, but it will cost you $5 for each filter. Shipping is free.

I order Acanac and I receive an email saying, I wont receive the modem like I asked, and I will receive filters like I asked.

Thank you for choosing Acanac-Inc. Your order has been received. We will not send you a modem as you have requested in the comment box and therefore you will not be charged. You are charged an additional $5 for the filters. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Then I received another email saying that I won't receive filters...

Unfortunately we do not provide filter for customers who have their own modem.

I replied with complaints and proof but they still won't budge.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, as we are not sending you a modem we cannot provide you with filters. As you can see with the red flags deal it states it comes WITH the modem. When i checked you order i didn't see where you specified that you are using your own modem but as you brought it to my attention now i clearly see that. So you see you don't receive filters by just signing up for the dsl services, its if you also request our modem that the two filters are included.

I even tried again:

Thank you for interest in Acanac.Unfortunately we do not provide filter for customers who have their own modemm

If a company cannot provide with DSL filters just because you have your own modem, then I dont think you should deal with them.

I mean if you were a Bell customer, you could go to their website and order some, and not have to deal with this BS...

I will still stick with Acanac for a few more days in hopes I can fin filters...

Is there any other place that I can buy filters from?

freestuffrocks
@scotiabank.com

freestuffrocks

Anon

Re: Acanac wont provide me with DSL filters

Last time I needed filters, I walked into the Bell Store in the Eaton Centre (Toronto) and said I need a few more filters for my DSL, and the clerk handed me a box of five, no questions asked. Didn't check if I was a Sympatico customer or not (I am).
Famine91
join:2007-11-12

Famine91 to CanadaBoy

to CanadaBoy
It's not a big deal. While I think they should provide the filters (don't know why they won't for $5), it seems like a small thing to complain over, especially since it was stated on their site as you said. I called to order extra filters from bell once and they said it would be over $8 each for shipping. I almost hung up on them, but I politely said no thanks.
tempta

tempta to CanadaBoy

to CanadaBoy
Hum... last time I went to Bell to ask for a filter I had to pay ... but when I moved and cancelled my Bell Subscription, I didnt have to give back the filters -.-

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: Acanac wont provide me with DSL filters

We do provide filters and the $5 charge is just to cover the shipping. We ship everything by FedEx.

The client above was issued incorrect information. This happens from time to time. I remember personally dealing with this client. A post about this was made on our own forums. I also spoke with the Acanac rep involved. Hopefully it wont happen again.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
hellohello4

hellohello4 to CanadaBoy

to CanadaBoy
It seems that Acanac is for people who are somewhat techsavy and can do/figure the tech issues out on their own. having said that, the filters are not so expensive to make a big deal out of.

danielnoemailcom
@acanac.net

danielnoemailcom

Anon

I like

was reading the fourms for a totally different reason, however I just wanted to say I have Acanac, have had it for almost 3 years now, been with it since the beginning, and now I would say just as good as a land line! It saves me a bundle, and is great for all University Students.
tempta

tempta

Re: I like

your lucky, i had trouble with arcanac by using it for less than a month...
Manisha3

Manisha3 to danielnoemailcom

to danielnoemailcom
which cities are you in? Are you in a residential house or condo? I'm just wondering how this service is in condo's as opposed to homes. Should this even be a factor?

Danielatnoemail
@acanac.net

Danielatnoemail to danielnoemailcom

Anon

to danielnoemailcom
Im In London, Ontario
In a condo, and the speed is still great

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

4 edits

Canaca

Premium Member

500 FREE VOIP Accounts for 1 Year !!! **

In order to encourage the use of our dslreports forum we are launching the following promo.

We are providing 1 year free VOIP service ( Softphone or Bring your own ATA ) to the following cities. This means that you will only be able to call to and from the following areas.

Toronto 647
Montreal 514
Ottawa 613
Vancouver 778
London 519

This is absolute free service. No credit card is required however orders will be confirmed by phone.

In order to be eligible you must do the following.

1. Submit 3 posts on this forum about our company. This can be questions, concerns, or general chat about our company. Spam is strictly prohibited. Anything deemed irrelevant to the topic will be considered spam and not counted.

2. You must place your dslreports username and the links to the 3 posts you have submitted in the comments section of the order form.

IMPORTANT : Orders missing any of the information above will not be setup.

Again this is not the place to submit spam just to get free service. This is really for current or future customers to obtain correct information about our products and services.

ORDER FORM: »www.acanac.com/cgi-bin/a ··· oip.html

*Important: Please note that there is no termination outside those calling areas. You can call from Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa to Toronto but you can’t call outside those calling areas. If you wish to call outside those areas you would need to subscribe to our paid service.

These accounts auto expire after the 1 year term. If you wish to continue service you must contact us before the free 1 year is over.

You must follow all the terms of service listed in the link bellow.
Terms of service : »www.acanac.com/User-Agre ··· ent.html

Best Regards,
Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca

NOTE:

"We just been notified that we may not use promotional enticements to encourage participation on these forums. Unfortunately we have to end this promotion a bit early.

For those of you who already submitted your orders and have not yet to receive a welcome letter they will still be setup within the next 48 hours. We still want to encourage participation on these forums. We will be here to help answer your questions so don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca"

Famine
@bell.ca

Famine

Anon

Re: 500 FREE VOIP Accounts for 1 Year !!! **

wow, this seems like an awesome deal!

I was on the free 3-month trial before, which expired. does that mean I'm not eligible for this?

just to confirm: even though you won't have our CC info, will we be auto-billed at the end of the year?

and can we call the 905 (GTA) local area if we have a Toronto number? Thanks for putting up this incredible deal, acanac...

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

Canaca

Premium Member

Great to see you back.. Your more than welcomed to take advantage of this free promo. The Voip accounts themselves will automatically be deleted at the end of the year. You will not be billed unless you request to continue to use our service.

Toronto numbers are local to Mississauga and most of the GTA.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
ccfly

ccfly

Does it support incoming SIP calls?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

Canaca

Premium Member

Yes... You get a real phone number and it does support incoming SIP calls.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
ccfly

ccfly

said by Canaca:

Yes... You get a real phone number and it does support incoming SIP calls.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
OK, so I can call with sip:7781234567@voip7.acanac.com in Gizmo Project?
Famine91

Famine91 to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Toronto numbers are local to Mississauga and most of the GTA.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
thanks, Paul. just to clarify for everyone since your response sounded more like they'd be able to call our acanac number. we will be able to make calls local 905 areas, correct? Thanks.

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Not all 905 areas, but the ones around Toronto are. For example Mississauga is local Toronto, but some parts of Richmanhill are not local. Don't worry abut being charged for areas that are not supported. It simply wont work. Any place that works is free.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»ww.acanac.ca
klamath
join:2003-11-12
Canada

klamath to Canaca

to Canaca
Besides Linksys SPA-2102, is there any other VOIP ATA that we can use with your service?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

Hello,

You can use any of them that you wish as long as they are unlocked and they support sip.

Best Regards,
Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca

DZCheng
@shawcable.net

DZCheng

Anon

Is there going to be any difference (sound quality and cost) between calling to and from a real land line and a cell phone? Thanks!
DZCheng

DZCheng

Anon

Also, what is the cost of calling to international destinations or receiving international calls? Thanks!

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

said by DZCheng :

Also, what is the cost of calling to international destinations or receiving international calls? Thanks!
The Free service does not come with international calling. You would need our paid service.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
Canaca

Canaca to DZCheng

Premium Member

to DZCheng
said by DZCheng :

Is there going to be any difference (sound quality and cost) between calling to and from a real land line and a cell phone? Thanks!
Most of the time no, but a land line will always be more dependable than your Voip. In the end Voip is only as good as your Internet connections.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
tempta

tempta to Canaca

to Canaca
Hi, are you saying I can call from Toronto to Vancouver but not from Toronto to some near town with this free subscription?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

That is correct. We are limiting calls to where we have PRI's. In fact you are able to call Edmonton and a few other cities. Since a call to a small town near by in mean terminating your call through IP it would not be cost effective.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
halifax11
Hammonds Plains, NS

halifax11

said by Canaca:

That is correct. We are limiting calls to where we have PRI's. In fact you are able to call Edmonton and a few other cities. Since a call to a small town near by in mean terminating your call through IP it would not be cost effective.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
I couple of questions about this...
Since we can only make calls that terminate where you have PRIs, is there a possibility that when we get a regular/full/non-trial voip account, and start terminating calls outside of these areas the call quality will change?

Also, this sounds backwards, wouldn't it be cheaper to terminate calls through IP, then PRI, since isn't that the whole idea?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

It is actually more costly to terminate over IP because we pay a per min charge for usage to a 3rd party. When terminating over PRI's we pay for them regardless. WHen terminating between active clients we pay nothing because it is ip to ip within our network.

Regarding the quality.. THe more distance you have the more risk there is and we can't control the internet. We rarely notice any difference in quality termination however i would say IP termination is perfect 95% of the time while PRI is 99.9%

Hope this helps.

Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca
halifax11
Hammonds Plains, NS

halifax11 to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Toronto 647
Montreal 514
Ottawa 613
Vancouver 778
London 519

In fact you are able to call Edmonton and a few other cities.
Can you provide a full list of the "few other cities" that we can call, that are in addition to the 6 listed here.
my_dslphones
join:2007-11-13

my_dslphones to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
Hi Paul,

Is the ability to call Edmonton included in the last set of free numbers as well?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

said by my_dslphones:

said by Canaca:

Best Regards,
Paul L.

»www.acanac.ca
Hi Paul,

Is the ability to call Edmonton included in the last set of free numbers as well?
That is correct.. Your able to call Edmonton free of charge.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
my_dslphones
join:2007-11-13

2 edits

my_dslphones

quote:
Hi Paul,

quote:
That is correct.. Your able to call Edmonton free of charge.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
Hello Acanac Staff
It doesn't seem to work for me.
Could you tell me how to do it?
I have tried 10 digit dialing, 11 digit and 7 digit dialing.
I always get the message about the trial and not being able to terminate calls outside my area.
I have a Calgary number right now.
Thanks
hellohello4

hellohello4 to Canaca

to Canaca
You guys did it with your free trial offer and now with the voip offer
sfulifer
Burnaby, BC

sfulifer to Canaca

to Canaca
How is the reliability of the service?
I've been with some rinky-dink VOIP service here locally (Vancouver) and they've had outages. Thank good ness for cellphones and Skype or I'd be cut off during those times.
Oksijan

Oksijan to Canaca

to Canaca
I just singed up and so far so good. I got the following confirmation.

"Thank you for your Order. Your form has been processed. Your account will be setup within the next 48 hours."
imran909

imran909

Good, I have heard from other friends that are using this service and paying for it, they are pretty happy, except for some times when they experience some time delay. Other than that they are fine
sfulifer
Burnaby, BC

sfulifer to Canaca

to Canaca
What numbers in the GVRD are supported via the free service?
604 also or just 778 numbers?
Are incoming calls free as well?
I just wanted to clarify. I'll likely subscribe to the paid service anyways (provided the QoS historically has been decent) since the LD rates aren't that bad.
TIA for the answers.

•••
Oksijan

Oksijan to Canaca

to Canaca
Can I use Acanac as a long Distance calls provider using my Bell line/service?
Oksijan

Oksijan to Canaca

to Canaca
I was thinking of having a very good deal paying 7 cents per minute long distance call charges to my destination (Pakistan) and was amazed to find 3 cents per minute from the Acanac.
Amazing...
Oksijan

Oksijan to Canaca

to Canaca
I just checked the long distance price, it is amazing.

Check your destination.
»www.acanac.com/Phone_rates.htm

Once you get the VOIP service, you will be charged based on the above price?
imran909

imran909

Yes, I agree, this is an excellent plan, I have crossed my finger and see if I can also get one too
imran909

imran909 to Canaca

to Canaca
Hi Acanac,
Thanks for the info, I just registered and this is my first post. I am a current member of ACANAC DSL service, can I also get this free promo?>

•••••
mclarengtrf1
Thornhill, ON

mclarengtrf1 to Canaca

to Canaca
I am currently with Rogers, and I am looking to switch to Acanac in near future, how is the Acanac service in Thornhill area? the reason i ask is because Bell does not support in my area.

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

If your referring DSL service and Bell can not currently support your area we will not be able to either. Please remember that we use the same infostructure as Bell. In the end it will go through the Bell lines.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
mclarengtrf1
Thornhill, ON

mclarengtrf1

That is too bad thanks for clear up anyway. I hope they will be available in my area soon

clubhouse
@shawcable.net

clubhouse to Canaca

Anon

to Canaca
i love to try this...i hope that this works well..
clubhouse

clubhouse to Canaca

Anon

to Canaca
what is the dslreports username ?
Do i need some kind of router to get VOIP connection ?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Your DSL reports user name is clubhouse
This is the one you have chosen when you singed up to DSLrports.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
deanw0
Richmond Hill, ON

deanw0 to Canaca

to Canaca
Where can I get a softphone from and is it free?
whatever6

whatever6

they will give you a link to dowanload a software once you account is set up
deanw0
Richmond Hill, ON

deanw0 to Canaca

to Canaca
If I were to buy an ATA 3 months from now, is it easy to switch over from a softphone to the ATA? Would it cost extra to switch over?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

You can use an ATA at any time. We provide you with your SIP login information right from the get go. No extra charge.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
whatever6

whatever6 to Canaca

to Canaca
I love their service. I registered a couple weeks ago during the last free trial promotion. And my friends couldn't tell I was using a voip when I called them. They thought I got a need cell phone(yes, most of the people think 778 number as a cell phone number). Now even better they allow you to register numbers from other areas. That's really cool.
shaolin_x

shaolin_x to Canaca

to Canaca
Hello,

I already own a Linksys VOIP E41580 adaptor. Is this adaptor compatible with your service or is it mandatory to use the Linksys SPA2102 NA Analog VoIP Adaptor?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

You can use any SIP compatible adapter. We officially only support the SPA2102, but your welcomed to use others.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
dyzs
join:2007-08-05
Staten Island, NY

dyzs

said by Canaca:

You can use any SIP compatible adapter. We officially only support the SPA2102, but your welcomed to use others.

Best Regards,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
Do you also support the 3102?
Expand your moderator at work
shaolin_x

shaolin_x to Canaca

to Canaca
I'm currently subscribing to your company's naked DSL service ie) I do not have an active phone line. Will this have any effect on whether I can receive your VOIP service? And will it have any bearing on the sound quality?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

The Voip phone service will work. Voip phone service does not require a PSTN line and since you already have Naked DSL your ready to go.

Best Reagads,
Paul L.
»www.acanac.ca
klamath
Canada

klamath

Acanac HighSpeed ADSL Services

I have introduced 2 of my friends to join the above services (1 year plan). Both of them are very happy about the service.
klamath

klamath

Acanac HighSpeed ADSL - Shared?

I'm currently using Bell Sympatico and would like to switch over to Acanac. However, the Bell rep. told me that Acanac is on a shared network and constantly switching IP address. I'm not quite sure what she meant by "shared network".

Also, is Acanac going to offer 7Mbps soon?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: Acanac HighSpeed ADSL - Shared?

Hello,

I am not sure what they ment by that but acanac is on a shared network. Your ip will change if you reboot your modem because we have dynamic ips on our network. But then again sympatico does the exact same thing. In fact we are using the exact same backbone ( Fiber ) as Bell sympatico and the BASS servers are exactly the same. There is no real difference between our nework and bell sympatico's. The only real difference is we offer you unlimited bandwidth with no hidden caps.

As soon as the CRTC tariffs the service we will offer 7Mbps service.

Hope this helps.

Sandro H.
www.acanac.ca
tempta

tempta

About Arcanac

Hi, I think i have read this some where but wasnt exactly sure, is Arcanac the same company as Canaca?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: About Arcanac

Hello,

Canaca-Com and Acanac Inc. are different corporations however the same owners own both companies.

Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca
tempta

tempta

wow, fast reply, but thanks, that clearified some stuff
Oksijan

Oksijan

Does Acanac has its own infrastructure or it partners

Does Acanac has its own infrastructure or it partners with the big ones?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: Does Acanac has its own infrastructure or it partners

Hello,

We have everything on our own. We use some termination outside of our network through 3rd party providers ( eg. MCI , Broadvox, etc ) but a lot of our traffic goes out PRI's.

DSL service is also all our own hardware and networks. We pay bell for the link between the customer and the CO and then from there it is passed to our network in which we provide you with the ip and internet connectivity.
Oksijan

Oksijan

How do you compare the Acanac Service with other VOIP

How do you compare the Acanac Service with other VOIP providers?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: How do you compare the Acanac Service with other VOIP

Hello,

We use the same hardware and software as most other providers. There is not a huge difference between us and what the larger telco's are providing. The networks are similar and the PRI's are the same so you should not experience any sound problems with the service.

Best Regards,
Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca
hellohello4

hellohello4

Acanac - smart marketing

Acanac believes in their service to the extent, that they have offered a free trial using their service. None of the other companies, have stood so strongly behind their prodcuit/service.
Truly smart marketing!
Go acanac!!!
real_sweet
London, ON

real_sweet

Re: Acanac - smart marketing

I agree. A company who is willing to give you a full refund after 30 days if great. Thus far, I am a completely satisfied customer. The price is great, service is great. Not to knock Rogers, but I can easily do without paying their crazy rates for a similar service.

I am considering Acanac's voip now as I am currently with another company (G3telecom).
Vladk5

Vladk5 to hellohello4

to hellohello4
I just hope they don't go out of business for giving so much free stuff away
Oksijan

Oksijan

How stable is Acanac DSL server?

How stable is Acanac DSL server as compared to Bell. I have used Rogers and Bell. I have suffered many outages with Rogers but I have found Bell DSL service very stable.

•••••••
hellohello4

hellohello4

Cable or ADSL

Acanac provides cable or dsl service?

••••••
Famine91

Famine91

My Experience With the Previous Free Trial With Acanac

Hi, just thought I'd give a mini-review on the last time I was with them for those of you who are thinking of joining the free 12-month trial.

The answer is YES, this deal is legit! I did their 3-month trial and I never paid a penny. I even used their e-mail customer support.

I didn't use it that much, only as a backup for when someone else was on my bell landline. Sound quality was fine. However, I could only get service 90-95% of the time. So I was apprehensive about removing my bell line for this in case I needed to call 911 or something. I would guess you got low priority if you were on the free trial. The paid/business accounts would probably have continuous service.

All in all, they provided good service. Setting up my Linksys PAP2 was a bit of a hassle until I found the link for the settings, which I can't seem to find in a search on this site anymore. does anyone else have it?
Oksijan

Oksijan

Acanac Long Distance prices are quite amazing.

Checkout the Long Distance price from Acanac, you will be surprised.
»www.acanac.com/Phone_rates.htm

•••
whatever6

whatever6

I have a question about the new promotion

I joined during the last one year free trial promotion. The sound quality is very good.
I am wondering if it is ok to register another number with different area code? I live in vancouver and I want a number of Toronto so my friends there could call me for free?

•••••••
ashishkabir
North York, ON

ashishkabir

Mac soft client

Hi there - do you support a soft client for the Mac running OSX Tiger? Anything special I should know abour running that client?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: Mac soft client

Hello,

Yes, the softphone does work on mac. You can find the URL:// to the one we recommend but you can use any software that supports sip protocal.

»www.counterpath.com/xlit ··· oad.html

Best Regards,
Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca
klamath
Canada

klamath

U.S. & Canada - Free Long Distance

From the URL below & near the bottom of the page, it has a image link which says "U.S. & Canada Free Long Distance".

»www.acanac.ca/Phones.htm

How does this work?
zapomni
Toronto, ON

zapomni

Soft Client for Acanac ???

What is the best softphone client for use with Acanac on PC? A free one would be nice.

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Re: Soft Client for Acanac ???

Hello,

We recomend xlite which is made by counterpath. Link can be found here :

»www.counterpath.com/xlit ··· oad.html

Best Regards,
Sandro H.
»www.acanac.ca
zapomni
Toronto, ON

zapomni

Acanac on a naked DSL

Does anyone have any experience using Acanac on a naked DSL line? What kind of info do you need to setup the service? Do they identify the circuit by address or should I call Bell for some kind of ID?

•••
zapomni

1 edit

zapomni

Did anyone get the free phone service activated yet???

I am going to try for it myself and update this thread as sson as I have it.

••••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 54 · 55 · 56 · next