dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Welcome to the Start Communications forum
Services include Residential Internet (Cable, DSL, Dialup) and Business Internet and Hosting
Group: All, Cable, rCable, cCable, DSLpage: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 17 · 18 · 19 · next

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

3 edits

3 recommendations

FAQ: Trouble-shooting (Cable)

Here are a few helpful tips for trouble-shooting cable internet issues:

Factory resetting your cable modem

To factory reset your modem, hold the 'reset' pin in on the back of the modem for 30 seconds or until all the lights flash and the modem begins to reset itself. This does much more than just 'rebooting' the modem as it causes all the memory from the prior configuration to be erased, rescans the channels on the node for the best set and requests a new copy of the profile to be sent down to it.

Modem signal levels

To get your modem details open »192.168.100.1 in your browser and go to the diagnostics, signal or statistics page. There you will see a grid showing which channels and frequencies are being used by the modem. Your receiving (forward) signal should be between -11 and +11 dBmV, and the transmission (return) signal level should be between +35 and +52 dBmV, and the BER (bit error rate) should all be 0%. If you have poor signals check the physical connectors that they are tight and remove any additional splitters that may be in the path. If the signals don't improve and you're able to connect the modem to the cable where it comes in your building that will help determine if the issue is with the outside or inside wiring. If you change the physical setup, it's best to make sure you label which cables went where so you can put things back afterwards.

Speed issues

The first step is always to factory reset the modem. If the problem still occurs after this it is important to remove the router/wifi from the equation. Testing over wifi or a handheld device is never accurate as you have to contend with interference from other wireless devices, cordless phones, baby monitors and even your microwave. Even just using a wired connection to your router does not eliminate all problems such as routers not capable of higher speeds because of CPU limits, QoS settings, memory leaks or other people on your network using the connection during your testing.

The second step is to make sure that you close down any software from your now directly connected computer, including background updates, backups, etc that could be using your connection in the background. Additionally some anti-virus and firewall software can sometimes be the source of the problem, try temporarily disabling it.

The third step if the problem persists is to check your physical setup, ie try replacing the network cable if you have a spare, or using a different computer to see if you have a problem with the network card on it.

If you're not able to resolve it please call us and we'd be happy to trouble-shoot with you and put in a ticket if there is an issue with your line.

Latency issues

Before testing specifically for latency issues it's important to reset your modem and do the same testing for speed issues as above, ie removing the router from the network while trouble-shooting. If speeds are good, but latency exists then there are a few additional steps to take.

First, it's important to determine what type of latency you're experiencing. It can either be a constant (ie high latency for minutes at a time) or intermittent (ie a few high latency packets intermixed with regular latency). It can also be related to time of day (ie happens any time during the day vs only happens during peak periods).

Second, it's important to determine where the latency is, ie to test your local node you should ping the gateway of your connection and if you experience the latency on that first hop then the following grid is the typical reason for the latency:

Constant or intermittent at peak: Node congestion. A factory reset of the modem might pick up a better channel set that is less congested.

Constant off-peak: Something on your system is saturating your upload, hunt it down and turn it off. If nothing really is running (check byte counters on your network card interface), then either an equipment or line failure.

Intermittent off-peak: Equipment or line failure.

If there is no latency on the first hop but exists further down, then use »WinMTR.net and run a 10 minute test to determine where the problem exists.

Splash screen

If you get a splash screen showing the incumbent cable carriers logo, that means that your modem is not properly registered or you are using a different modem than has been registered with us. If the later, reconnect the registered modem. If that is not the problem please verify the MAC address on the label matches the status screen at »192.168.100.1 and let our support team know the details.
londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON

Re: FAQ: Trouble-shooting (Cable)

On the SB6120 there isn't a physical reset button. To reset go to 192.168.100.1 Configuration and click Reset All Defaults

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by londoner1:

On the SB6120 there isn't a physical reset button. To reset go to 192.168.100.1 Configuration and click Reset All Defaults

Add all Motorolas to that, SB5101N, SB6120 and SB6121 all have software factory reset methods.

Something else to add as well, a quirck with cable modems I have come across when troubleshooting. When switching devices connected to the WAN Ethernet port on a modem, logic dictates you power cycle the device after it , but I find power cycling the modem works best when swapping between router and a computer for troubleshooting. If trying with a 3rd device, a factory reset is often needed to clear the MAC address table as often CMs will limit to remembering only 2.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Good point, small correction is that it's the CMTS that prevents handing out a 3rd IP to the CM, which is why a reset clears that out.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Speed issues trouble-shooting (continued)

One of the biggest causes of intermittent speed complaints, particularly on the lower speed packages such as the "Legacy Basic 6/0.256" plan, is that when the upload traffic is at capacity you'll experience poor performance surfing and speed tests will show practically nil for the upload and well below your download capability even if you're not downloading anything.

The reason for this is due to the way TCP/IP works with acknowledgement packets not being able to leave your connection because the upload capacity is being saturated doing other things such as file transfers, cloud backup, posting videos online or interactive video chat/conferencing. The article at »www.cyberconnect.co.za/blog/mark···rade-off does a great job explaining the technical reasons why saturating your upload will cause poor download speeds and while it references ADSL the exact same behaviour applies to any type of internet service where the upload speed is much slower than the download speed.

If you have QoS capabilities in your router then you can improve download performance by setting the upload rate to just below what your maximum speed is so that at least the acknowledgement packets aren't held up, however the only real solution is to ensure you have a package adequately sized to handle all your upload and download needs.
Expand your moderator at work

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

4 edits

FAQ: Cable transfers

What should you expect during a cable transfer?

If you’re currently with Rogers or Cogeco then good news, a transfer is pretty painless. Simply get a cancellation date from them at least 10 business days out and let us know. We’ll co-ordinate to move your service over on that same day, easy.

If you’re currently with another third-party ISP then a transfer is still possible to save some money but the seamlessness of it will very much will depend on how co-operative they are in sending a disconnection notice in early of the actual disconnect date, ie send the disconnect notice today but with an effective date of 2 weeks out for example. Some ISP’s will do this, some won’t. For the ones that won’t what it means is we are not able to confirm your transfer until they have submitted that disconnect notice. Additionally, if you’re bringing your own modem then that too has to wait until it’s been released with the cable carrier before we’re able to have it moved to our profile, ie a modem can only be bound to one profile at any given time. If your internet really matters to you, I would highly recommend picking the install option and using a new modem.

Again, if you’re transferring from the cable carrier directly none of this is an issue and can all be co-ordinated on your disconnection date with them.

edit: Added grid for clarity.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Re: FAQ: Cable transfers

Replying to see if that makes this sticky again.
Expand your moderator at work

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

It was too tempting...

Now decide whether I will be buying a Linksys EA6900 or ASUS RT-AC68u, their predecessors (EA6500/6700 & RT-N66u) traded blows in most tests and I've always been partial to Linksys personally. Been wanting the AC66u because it has external antennas but now so does the EA6900. Might come down to how annoying the cloud based firmware is from Linksys.

The nerd in me wants to get a used Cisco ISR & Catalyst 2950 and an Ubiquiti dual-band AP. I can dream~

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: It was too tempting...

Totally going to necro this thread, it may months, months later but the wireless began crap out under any small local load on my venerable WRT600N.

Can't wait to setup this up later.
Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2

You should've went for 68U.

TypeS

London, ON

You need a specific chipset on a wireless card to get any benefit fomr the 68u over the 66u.

USB3.0 support doesn't matter to me, I'll pass on ghetto NAS/file sharing.

Start Ryan

join:2014-04-28
London, ON
I have this router also and it's been working great for me so far.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

1 edit

Start staff authorized to provide support

Hi gang,

We now have a few people who are authorized to help you in the DSLR forums, ie ask for account #'s in PM's, help with traceroutes or tickets, etc so I'll start updating this post as the list grows. Please note that not of these staff are checking all the time, so anything urgent is best sent to support@start.ca (or called in) rather than a PM. If you do see the following accounts posting on our behalf, you'll know they are legitimate staff that can help you out.

Thanks.

Current authorized list:

rocca
Start Laurie
Start Eric
Start Sam
Start Ryan

Start Kyle

join:2014-07-16
Canada

Re: Start staff authorized to provide support

Hey There!

I'm now also authorized to provide support as needed here on DSLReports. Please feel free to get in contact with me if you need assistance with anything on these forums, or right on your account.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Rock The Park 2014

We're pleased to announce that Start Communications is a title sponsor of London's Rock the Park XI. This year adds a new country night to the standard 3 days of rock. For those in London or interested in coming down for a kicking/rockin' good time this summer, pre-sales tickets start Thursday at 10am with the password 'country'. Details can be found online at »www.rockthepark.ca

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Re: Rock The Park 2014

Most of the line-up has been announced for the Thursday-Saturday shows. Going to be another great year.

»www.rockthepark.ca/

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

Rocca... I hope you and your staff have a blast at Rock The Park 2014!

And of course, getting your name out to more Londoners will hopefully result in some new happy Start customers!
docbg

join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON
Wow that's a great looking line-up, especially if you lived through the 80s.

Huey Lewis, Survivor, 38 Special.... takes me back.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Looking forward to it!

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[rCable] Can't seem to hold a steady 10 upload.

Hello for whatever reason when I'm uploading a file and I tried on multiple serves I can't ever seem to hold a steady 10 upload it always goes down to 5 or sometimes maybe it will jump to 8 but %90 of the time stays at 5 or around there. now on speed test it's fine its just when I'm tiring to upload a bigger file.

I've tried it without the router and connected right to the modem same issue. Here are my stats with the router hooked up I'll add ones without in a few.

Status Code: Operational
Software Version: STAC.02.50
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 693.0 MHz -5.9 dBmV 36.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 669.0 MHz -8.2 dBmV 35.6 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 675.0 MHz -8.0 dBmV 35.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 681.0 MHz -6.6 dBmV 36.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 687.0 MHz -5.8 dBmV 36.6 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 699.0 MHz -5.7 dBmV 36.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 705.0 MHz -5.6 dBmV 36.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 711.0 MHz -6.0 dBmV 35.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
1 38.6 MHz 36.3 dBmV 16 QAM
2 30.6 MHz 34.8 dBmV 16 QAM
3 23.7 MHz 34.8 dBmV 16 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
Data Service Details
Provisioned Address: Yes
Provisioned Time: Yes
Provisioned Configuration: Yes
BPI: Enabled

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: [rCable] Can't seem to hold a steady 10 upload.

So I still have this issues it's always stays around 5 to 6 no matter what I'm tiring to upload and tried a ton of different programs and tests that should do 10 no issue.

So rocca or anyone can start even help if I call about the issue? If I do a fast speed test no porb but a longer one it goes to 5 or 6 and all programs I use to upload stay there too.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

2 edits

1 recommendation

IPv6 Update (Open Beta)

Creating a new thread with the information that will be active 2014/03/26 at approximately 1am:

Type: 6rd
Ipv6 Prefix: 2600:16f0::
IPv6 Prefix Length: 28
IPv4 Border Router: 64.140.112.5
IPv4 Router Mask Length: 0
MTU 1480
IPv6 DNS Server 1: 2600:1621:1::c:1
IPv6 DNS Server 2: 2600:1621:1::c:2
IPv6 DNS Server 3: 2600:1621:1::c:3
Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

...this is open beta. That means any of our customers can use these settings, however it is not yet supported through our regular service team, however this forum is a great avenue for assistance/feedback.

Thanks.

Yoorie

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON

Re: IPv6 Update (Open Beta)

Did some speed tests to European servers, found a throughput disparity between IPv4 and IPv6 on the 25/10 Mbps cable plan:

^

^

Tests to their Lyon and Bucharest servers have IPv6 slightly ahead, however.

Is this something that could be improved with better peering/routing?

IPv6 works pretty well compared to IPv4 for US destinations:

^

^ Something happened to the IPv4 path here...
JaY_III

join:2005-08-06
Belleville, ON

1 recommendation

Has anyone got this working with pfSense yet?
I gave it a go today with no luck

Yoorie

Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Yes, pfSense 2.1 has been confirmed to be working by several people. See this read: »IPv6 Update

On that note, the IPv6 connection is no longer working for me. :P My computer seems to only be getting a link-local address. It was working just the other day!
JaY_III

Belleville, ON

Thanks for the link.
Looks like i missed the part where it says this:

"Please note that you need to be enabled access to the beta, ie these settings won't work if I haven't enabled your account first."

teddy

join:2002-02-20
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

nope, as per rocca's first post in this thread.
...this is open beta. That means any of our customers can use these settings, however it is not yet supported through our regular service team, however this forum is a great avenue for assistance/feedback.
JaY_III

Belleville, ON

hmmm... Well hopefully i can try again later on in the week when I dont have a 3 year old "helping"

Yoorie

Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Rebooting my computer fixed my previous issue.

Disabling/enabling IPv6 on my network adapter, as well as disabling/enabling the adapter itself would *sometimes* resolve the issue for a short while, but then I'd lose my IPv6 address again (except for the link-local address, for some reason).

Weird.

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Start Communicat..
looks like my issues with high ping from youtube.com has now been resolved.

C:\Users\owner>ping youtube.com -t

Pinging youtube.com [2607:f8b0:400b:806::1004] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:806::1004: time=7ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:806::1004: time=9ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:806::1004: time=8ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:806::1004: time=9ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:806::1004: time=8ms

ipv6 deployment looks good rocca!

catchingup

@206.51.28.x

1 recommendation

said by DavePC:

ipv6 deployment looks good rocca!

Time to move forward with native DSL service. This has dragged on too far.

pnear

join:2002-06-12
Milton, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
When setting this up for the first time with my Asus RT-AC66U, I left the "DHCP Option" enabled as per the default. It seems to have picked up different values for the prefix settings.

Switched the DHCP option off and manually updated the values per rocca's initial post. I know very little about ipv6, just reporting this in case there is some sort of issue with the ipv6 dhcp settings that were automatically set.
Laidback

join:2001-09-30
Woodstock, ON
I have an asus RT-N56U router. I set up the IP6 settings you show and score 0/10. I don't seem to have a setting for the ip4 border router setting.
Laidback

Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I changed the 6rd setting to 6to4 and this is the result

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be XXXXXXXXXX
Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be XXXXXXXXXXXX
Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be START-CA - Start Communications,CA
Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.
You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]
Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

••••••
AlexFolland

join:2012-06-06
Toronto, ON

4 edits
This is weird! I never did anything to configure IPv6. A while ago, on "World IPv6 Day", I enabled an option in WoW that says "Enable IPv6 when available". That has been all I've done for IPv6. I don't really understand it beyond the basics: a bigger address space, so far more unique addresses; no need for ports or NAT etc.

Anyway, I logged onto WoW today to find my latency was horrible (>300 ms all the time). It was not like the usual bad latency problems I've been having every once in a while for the past few years, where there'd be giant lag spikes every so often. It's just constantly 300+ ms all the time. Like usual, I investigated. I opened Resource Monitor to get the server address to ping with WinMTR. I was confused and surprised by what I found: an IPv6 address, and the ping in Resource Monitor said "320 ms". I have never before been connected to an IPv6 address, so I didn't even know I had one myself.

I tried tracert. Here are my results.

>tracert 2620:10b:9004:400:dad3:85ff:fe61:b2f4

Tracing route to 2620:10b:9004:400:dad3:85ff:fe61:b2f4 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     8 ms     9 ms     8 ms  2002:c058:6301::1
  2     9 ms    11 ms     7 ms  ge2-18.core1.tor1.he.net [2001:470:0:256::1]
  3    18 ms    18 ms    20 ms  100ge1-2.core1.nyc4.he.net [2001:470:0:2dc::1]
  4    79 ms   111 ms    82 ms  10ge10-3.core1.lax1.he.net [2001:470:0:10e::1]
  5    82 ms    77 ms    79 ms  10ge1-3.core1.lax2.he.net [2001:470:0:72::2]
  6   181 ms   177 ms   177 ms  10ge3-2.core1.tyo1.he.net [2001:470:0:294::2]
  7   252 ms   251 ms   252 ms  10ge5-2.core1.hkg1.he.net [2001:470:0:26a::2]
  8   252 ms     *      252 ms  2001:df0:296::a504:5903:1
  9   257 ms   251 ms   252 ms  2400:8800:1f00:39::1
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11   320 ms   317 ms   317 ms  sffca21crs.ipv6.att.net [2001:1890:ff:ffff:12:122:86:90]
 12   318 ms   316 ms   319 ms  cgcil21crs.ipv6.att.net [2001:1890:ff:ffff:12:122:4:122]
 13   324 ms   355 ms   321 ms  cgcil407me3.ipv6.att.net [2001:1890:ff:ffff:12:122:120:183]
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15   318 ms   316 ms   316 ms  2001:1890:e000:400e::305:d001
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I'm still not sure HOW I even connected via IPv6 without configuring anything. I run Windows and I don't use a router any more. This is cool, but this bad performance isn't. Is the high latency due to IPv6 or something else?

Edit: Yeah, the high latency appears to be due to IPv6. I disabled the "Enable IPv6 when available" option in WoW and now it's connected via IPv4 with acceptable latency (under 40 ms; though oddly, not my usual consistent 20 ms when things are working properly).

Edit: Not trying to derail the thread; just pasting for those interested in this particular post, my IPv4 tracert, which I used to figure out why my latency is 40ms instead of the usual 20 to Chicago from Toronto.

>tracert 206.18.148.235

Tracing route to 206.18.148.235 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     6 ms     7 ms     7 ms  10.105.35.1
  2     8 ms    11 ms    11 ms  209.148.245.129
  3     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  69.63.252.250
  4     9 ms     7 ms    14 ms  10ge7-4.core1.tor1.he.net [209.51.164.81]
  5    17 ms    19 ms    24 ms  100ge1-2.core1.nyc4.he.net [184.105.80.9]
  6    18 ms    19 ms    17 ms  nyk-b6-link.telia.net [213.248.67.125]
  7    19 ms    17 ms    17 ms  nyk-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.138.148]
  8    24 ms    19 ms    19 ms  192.205.34.53
  9    40 ms    35 ms    39 ms  cr1.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.131.86]
 10    42 ms    43 ms    39 ms  cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.1.2]
 11    36 ms    37 ms    37 ms  gar6.ipsin.ip.att.net [12.122.132.241]
 12    38 ms    37 ms    39 ms  12.122.251.14
 13    39 ms    41 ms    37 ms  63.240.130.202
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *     ^C

It seems to be routing to New York City first, then Chicago, doubling the travel time. It doesn't matter much since it's 20 ms vs. 40 ms; just a strangely suboptimal regression. Latency to the California WoW server which is used for instanced areas is also acceptable, at 90 ms.

Edit: Just checked the same IPv4 tracert again, and it's fixed. I'm now seeing 20 ms, and the route makes a lot more geographic sense. If someone changed something, thanks!

For those skipping to the bottom of this post, just ignore the edits for now. This post is about IPv6 primarily!

openwrt

@24.114.94.x

AlexFolland, your IPv6 you see is 6to4, a transition technology that depends on public relays. Latency and overall performance will be much better with Start's 6RD or native v6 since they operate the v6 network whereas 6to4 relays can go up or down and for all you know it could be in Amsterdam or Seattle or Moscow.

6to4 is deprecated.
Laidback

Woodstock, ON
Rocca,

Once IP6 ia implemented, will we still be able to use vpn services? I'm referring to mediahint and hola specifically.

Thank you

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by Laidback:

Once IP6 ia implemented, will we still be able to use vpn services? I'm referring to mediahint and hola specifically.

If you're talking about when IPv6 is native everywhere, then it would depend on those services but I don't see why not.
lostlink

join:2014-07-05
Oakville, ON
Hello,

I'm a new Start client, and although when I ordered the service I inquired about IPv6 and was told it's not supported I was happy to find that it is.

I have a couple of questions though. I had a DD-WRT router that seems to have died on me (I haven't had the chance to check what happened to it yet) and with that one I was using a Tunnelbroker IPv6 setup (this before I found this post)

Anyway after it died I had to use an Airport Extreme as a router and was surprised to see that it automatically setup a 6to4 Tunnel.

I tried to get it to work with the 6rd information from this post but I'm missing an IPv6 Default Route to put in there, when following the instructions here (»pastebin.com/0HRTSxqV) it doesn't work. I'm using 7.6.4 Firmware Version.

Now on to my questions:

1 - Is it possible to have a statically assigned IPv6 address ?
Seems every time I get a new PPPoE connection I also get a new IPv6 prefix.

2 - Do you have any suggestions on how to get 6rd working with the Airport Extreme ?
I'm not sure if there are many advantages over the automatic 6to4 tunnel though.

3- Any plans for full native IPv6 support ?

Thanks

••••••
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy Cable
Hello.

I've been trying to get IPv6 working with my router running DD-WRT r24461 (Buffalo router), but so far I've been unable to get it working.

I've been trying to follow some of the commands and instructions I've seen around the net, but to be honest I'm kinda lost. I also enabled IPv6 in the router config.

Does anyone have a working DD-WRT setup with Start they'd care to share?
Laidback

Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
d-link 862l cofiguration

Test IPv6
FAQ
Mirrors
stats

Test your IPv6 connectivity.

For the Help Desk
Summary
Tests Run
Share Results / Contact
Other IPv6 Sites
faq: Avoiding IPv6?

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2600:16f6:ca80:a3e0:996b:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be START-CA - Start Communications,CA

Since you have IPv6, we are including a tab that shows how well you can reach other IPv6 sites. [more info]

Your browser has real working IPv6 address - but is avoiding using it. We're concerned about this. [more info]

It appears that you use a managed tunnel mechanism, 6RD, to transport IPv6 over IPv4. [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness score
10/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

Click to see test data
(Updated server side IPv6 readiness stats)
Translators and proof readers welcome. Info; and our CrowdIn project page.

Copyright (C) 2010, 2014 Jason Fesler. All rights reserved. Version 1.0.74
Mirrors | Source | Email - - Attributions | Debug | [en_US]
This is a mirror of test-ipv6.com. The views expressed here may or may not reflect the views of the mirror owner.

•••
docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

1 recommendation

I have been using an HE tunnel for a couple of years. I enjoy the convenience that IPv6 gives every device a publicly rout-able static IP address. Is there any way to use Start Communication's IPv6 and keep my HE assigned network?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by docbill:

I have been using an HE tunnel for a couple of years. I enjoy the convenience that IPv6 gives every device a publicly rout-able static IP address. Is there any way to use Start Communication's IPv6 and keep my HE assigned network?

No, you'd get a Start IP with our setup.

billco

join:2011-02-11
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

Arg, guess this means I need to make time to learn IPV6 and ip6tables.

As a kid, I used to mock the old farts who resisted change. Now I'm becoming one of them. *shaking fist* if only a few billion people could get off my digital lawn, we wouldn't need IPV6, amirite ?
docbill

Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms
Sadly, it looks like shibby build 107 is far too old to use 6rd. I did some speed tests and it looks like for the most part my HE tunnels give me the same speed as IPv4, so there really isn't a need to switch. Now, once start is past beta, I might want to swtich just so I can be using a supported solution...

Incidently, I received my first DDOS attacks last night. Rebooting cable modem to give me a new IP address seemed to have thrown the attacker off my scent. Possibly in my tweaking for IPv6 test I dropped a firewall rule that was previously blocking them... That is were a supported solution might be nice, in that I could then have Start try and trace where the attack was coming from.
docbill

Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms
My results:

-bash-4.2$ ifconfig br0
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr BC:AE:C5:E8:0B:5E
inet addr:172.31.252.1 Bcast:172.31.255.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
inet6 addr: 2600:16f6:caa9:5f20::1/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::beae:c5ff:fee8:b5e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:7338 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6955 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:968648 (945.9 KiB) TX bytes:1335393 (1.2 MiB)

-bash-4.2$ sudo ping6 -c 5 www.google.com
PING www.google.com (2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=0 ttl=57 time=28.655 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=1 ttl=57 time=27.668 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=2 ttl=57 time=28.226 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=3 ttl=57 time=26.679 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=4 ttl=57 time=27.869 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 26.679/27.819/28.655 ms
-bash-4.2$ ifconfig br0
inet6 addr: 2001:470:1d:8a2::1/64 Scope:Global
RX packets:209 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:146 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:45593 (44.5 KiB) TX bytes:23490 (22.9 KiB)

PING www.google.com (2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=0 ttl=58 time=24.198 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=1 ttl=58 time=23.420 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=2 ttl=58 time=24.824 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=3 ttl=58 time=25.097 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4009:802::1011: seq=4 ttl=58 time=23.934 ms

round-trip min/avg/max = 23.420/24.294/25.097 ms

Overall, it looks like my he.net 6in4 bridge is slightly faster, but the 6rd bridge is a bit easier to set-up. So I probably wouldn't switch from 6in4 to this 6rd bridge, but I would probably recommend to new IPv6 users to try the 6rd connection first and see if it meets their needs.

Bill

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

I'm guessing you're using the HE DNS servers while using 6RD still? Otherwise you'd probably get a different IP for Google which would likely be closer. With our setup you get to use all our local peers (ie TorIX, Google, Netflix, etc) and best path selection from multiple transit providers.

With the HE tunnel you're always going out HE, so even if you got a faster ping to the google.com cache closest to them, most people will find overall better performance by using our 6RD which is literally 2' away from our core.

(edit: try www.youtube.com too)
docbill

Stoney Creek, ON

Actually, I use the opendns servers...

I can temporarily switch and see what happens. But in the end I'll switch back, because I appreciate the add blocking features of opendns.
docbill

Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms
Wow. The DNS server really does make a difference. I didn't think DNS look-ups results should be GEO related... It looks like when using the 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012 ip address, the two bridges are about equivalent. So for Canadian IP addresses, there is no significant difference. For US addresses slight win for HE. For DNS servers, Start.ca wins hands over down over opendns for returning the best GEO related results.

Hmmm. I'm going to have to think about this more. Maybe I'll use the start.ca DNS servers, with my HE tunnel. I think the opendns add filtering only works fully with IPv4, so that is become less and less significant.

-bash-4.2$ ifconfig br0
inet6 addr: 2600:16f6:caa9:5f20::1/64 Scope:Global
RX packets:82 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:113 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:8859 (8.6 KiB) TX bytes:13879 (13.5 KiB)

PING www.google.com (2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1011): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1011: seq=0 ttl=59 time=13.300 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1011: seq=1 ttl=59 time=12.317 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1011: seq=2 ttl=59 time=13.634 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1011: seq=3 ttl=59 time=11.958 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1011: seq=4 ttl=59 time=13.749 ms

round-trip min/avg/max = 11.958/12.991/13.749 ms

-bash-4.2$ ifconfig br0
inet6 addr: 2001:470:1d:8a2::1/64 Scope:Global
RX packets:98 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:13853 (13.5 KiB) TX bytes:22169 (21.6 KiB)

PING www.google.com (2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012: seq=0 ttl=59 time=13.118 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012: seq=1 ttl=59 time=11.753 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012: seq=2 ttl=59 time=13.910 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012: seq=3 ttl=59 time=11.993 ms
64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::1012: seq=4 ttl=59 time=14.777 ms

round-trip min/avg/max = 11.753/13.110/14.777 ms

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Youtube is even crazier fast!
docbill

Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms
Sadly, it looks like the IPv6 servers are not universally accessible. e.g. I tried configuring them on my second router, but I simply got DNS failures. So in a multi-homed environment such as mine there is only a 50% chances I'll actually use the start.ca DNS regardless of which ISP routes my traffic.

Bill

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Correct, you'd only be able to query our name servers from an IP in our network. Some load-balancing routers will let you pick the DNS set per connection, but other configs such as yours probably won't be able to use ISP DNS servers.
jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

1 recommendation

The new Openwrt Barrier Breaker image works very well with the 6rd service and just needs minimal setup, no need to install any additional packages. You could do the setup through the web interface, or here are the relevant parts of the config files:

/etc/config/network:
        config interface 'lan'
option ifname 'eth0.1'
option type 'bridge'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option accept_ra '1'
option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan6'
option proto '6rd'
option peeraddr '64.140.112.5'
option ip6prefix '2600:16f0::'
option ip6prefixlen '28'
option ip4prefixlen '0'

/etc/config/dhcp:
config dhcp 'lan'
option interface 'lan'
option start '100'
option limit '150'
option leasetime '12h'
option dhcpv6 'server'
option ra 'server'

docbill

Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

Despite my initial skepticism, I am impressed. Start's IPv6 works well. I don't consistently get those 11 ms ping times, in that 50% of the time even on the router the IP it pulls from the DNS is the same as I get from he.net. But the IPv6 is always as fast as my IPv4. It works well and is easy to use. I decided to just use the he.net DNS with my vanity name. That gives me dyndns for IPv6 that works just as well as dyndns for IPv4. For my needs that is just as good as static IPv6 address.

The only thing better would be native IPv6, but it sounds like that won't happen until Cogeco upgrades to handle that all the way to the modem.

Bill

••••
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
I'm running the Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H, and I recently migrated away from Buffalo's version of dd-wrt, and I'm now running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) std - build 24461.

damir

join:2013-12-12
CANADA

1 recommendation

This is unfinished product, with some issues (ipv6 works as it should - with basic firewall) - but, on most (probably) any changes to the dd-wrt configuration you will have to reboot it.

I am talking to guys from DD-WRT forum about this, to see what can be done.

If you still want to give it a try, PM, i can e-mail you configuration, as i don't want this to go public, just yet (at least - until some of the bugs are resolved).
AlexFolland

join:2012-06-06
Toronto, ON

Since Sunday, extreme WoW lag; reroute please? :)

Starting Sunday, there have been several problem nodes from me to Blizzard's World Of Warcraft arena instance servers which makes the game very difficult to play. I am averaging 400-500ms, but it ends up feeling more like 1000-2000ms because it's worsened by packet loss.

Here is a video showing the worst it's gotten, which happened today: »www.twitch.tv/alexfolland/c/4136149 (Some profanity, sorry, but somewhat amusing.)

In order to provide more information, I joined a battleground instance and checked the server I was connected to with Resource Monitor, then ran WinMTR to figure out what the problem was. Here's a screenshot of my results. I noticed heavy packet loss on the way through Cogentco's servers. Look specifically at the third column, or in the text version, the number after the hostname in the first column, which is the percentage packet loss.

In case that image is no longer available, here's the (somewhat crappy for some reason) text version:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 10.105.35.1 - 0 | 737 | 737 | 2 | 6 | 16 | 8 |
| 24.156.149.105 - 0 | 737 | 737 | 8 | 11 | 24 | 12 |
| 69.63.249.229 - 0 | 737 | 737 | 6 | 11 | 26 | 12 |
|te0-0-0-27.ccr22.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 737 | 737 | 6 | 10 | 23 | 10 |
| be2093.ccr22.ymq02.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 737 | 737 | 13 | 18 | 29 | 17 |
| be2143.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 737 | 737 | 21 | 25 | 42 | 24 |
| be2140.ccr42.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com - 7 | 586 | 548 | 46 | 51 | 61 | 51 |
| be2157.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com - 7 | 590 | 553 | 57 | 62 | 111 | 61 |
| be2010.ccr22.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com - 9 | 562 | 517 | 0 | 73 | 84 | 74 |
| be2146.ccr22.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com - 7 | 582 | 543 | 72 | 77 | 89 | 75 |
| be2066.ccr22.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com - 6 | 610 | 577 | 109 | 114 | 331 | 114 |
| be2179.ccr23.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com - 6 | 602 | 568 | 108 | 114 | 157 | 112 |
| att.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com - 8 | 570 | 528 | 112 | 119 | 129 | 119 |
| cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net - 7 | 590 | 552 | 97 | 105 | 119 | 107 |
| gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net - 7 | 578 | 538 | 95 | 107 | 232 | 111 |
| 12-122-254-234.attens.net - 7 | 591 | 554 | 96 | 108 | 290 | 102 |
| mdf001c7613r0002.lax1.attens.net - 6 | 607 | 574 | 97 | 109 | 351 | 351 |
| No response from host - 100 | 148 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Is there any way my connection to Blizzard's instance servers can be rerouted through some other pathway? My friends in the US (1 from Maine, 1 from Mass., 1 from Texas) are not experiencing the same problems. Note that these instance servers are not just this 1 IP address, "12.129.255.60". They vary, in a range of IP addresses starting with "12.129".

For the record, I have already posted 2 threads on Blizzard's forums related to this issue. Here are the links to those, for your curiosity.

»us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12673557318
»us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12673557311

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

[rCable] Down in Scarborough

Up in the Victoria Park Ave, Lawrence area. Down for the last hour. Already went through the troubleshoot with Start and ticket is in.

Modem doing the blinking online light, recycle - diag showing 1 dl and 1 ul channel.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

4 edits

[rCable] New Cable Packages - Red Territories

Click for full size
We're pleased to announce the new packages for Red territories that will be available starting May 22nd. Old packages will be removed from the site that day, but if you call in we'll still be able to sign you up with an older package if you prefer. (until June 1st)

Existing customers on the 45/10 will be automatically moved to the 60/10 which will happen on or about May 22nd and include the price reduction where appropriate (ie 45/10/300GB will go down $5, 45/10/Unlimited will stay the same price since the unlimited portion is higher).

Existing customers on the 150/10 will be automatically moved to the 150/15 at their current price, however this will be phased in over about 2 weeks as we go through all the accounts to put in the order changes.

Q: Grandfathering existing plans? Yes.

Q: Unlimited 2am - 8am window still available on non-unlimited plans? Yes.

Q: Modem requirements? DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 required for all new packages.

Q: Can I just PM you my package change? Normally I'd say sure - but given how many of them all at once, I'd ask you please send these in to our service team. Thanks.

edit: Edits to update answers to common questions.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

4 edits

[cCable] New Cable Packages - Cogeco Territories

Click for full size
We're pleased to announce our new packages for Cogeco territories that will be available starting May 22nd. Old packages will be removed from the site that day, but if you call in we'll still be able to sign you up with an older package if you prefer. (until June 1st)

Yes, unlimited available on all the tiers. If it ends up getting abused we'll have to re-evaluate, but we'll give it a go and see what happens. Those who can still shift big transfers outside of 9pm-11pm each night will certainly be greatly appreciated.

Q: Grandfathering existing plans? Yes.

Q: Unlimited 2am - 8am window still available on non-unlimited plans? Yes.

Q: Modem requirements? DOCSIS 3.0 (4x4 is fine) required for all new packages.

Q: Can I just PM you my package change? Normally I'd say sure - but given how many of them all at once, I'd ask you please send these in to our service team. Thanks.

edit: Correction, the upload on the basic tier is 2Mbps. (image updated)

edit: Edits to update answers to common questions.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

knoxyouout

join:2012-11-28
Ottawa, ON

[DSL] Has there been, or is there any news on SmartRG 505N Firmware updates?

Click for full size
As you can see from the picture I've attached, I'm on a version of the software that seems to be from August 2013. I know TS have had at least one update in January, but Start doesn't seem to have any sort of help or update section on the website, so it's next to impossible to tell if anything has been available.

As far as I know, the only issue I have is with port 30005 being open. This is not preferable since It's not currently possible for me to run in bridge mode, and deleting rules after every reboot is a pain.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Johny

join:2012-12-06
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Internet hops have been really sketchy lately.

I've been noticing a lot of timeouts in the last week, any idea as to whats going on?

»screencast.com/t/Ntj3NbwHt6a

Trace complete.

--------------------------
Modem stats:

1 645.0 MHz -11.1 dBmV 37.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 615.0 MHz -12.4 dBmV 36.7 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 621.0 MHz -11.3 dBmV 37.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 633.0 MHz -11.5 dBmV 36.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 639.0 MHz -11.7 dBmV 36.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 651.0 MHz -10.8 dBmV 37.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 657.0 MHz -11.2 dBmV 37.1 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 663.0 MHz -12.0 dBmV 36.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
Return Path:
2 30.6 MHz 38.8 dBmV 64 QAM
1 38.6 MHz 40.3 dBmV 64 QAM
3 23.7 MHz 38.8 dBmV 64 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Bojamijams

@108.168.8.x

[Cable] Why is the SB6120 not good enough for the new packages?

I was on the 45/4 plan before and want to upgrade to the 60/10 now but I'm told my modem is not supported. The 6120 can do both 60mbps down and 10mbps up so why not? I don't appreciate this veiled attempt at a cash grab.

I've been very impressed with Start and have sent 6 people your way, but this really pissed me off.

•••••••••••••••••••

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

More than one router to modem?

Anyone know if you can hook more than one router to the modem without running into issues? I notice the modem allows for three devices, was thinking of connecting it to a switch, then two routers (one with VPN, one without).

•••••••••••••••••••••
Satya

join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON

Intermittent signal - high power values - rocca?

Hi rocca,

Forward Path:
1 639.0 MHz -18.0 dBmV 32.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 615.0 MHz -19.6 dBmV 31.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 621.0 MHz -18.8 dBmV 32.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 633.0 MHz -19.9 dBmV 29.7 dB 0.002 % 256 QAM
5 645.0 MHz -20.1 dBmV 31.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 651.0 MHz -20.0 dBmV 31.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 657.0 MHz -19.6 dBmV 31.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 663.0 MHz -19.6 dBmV 31.6 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM

Return Path: (Partial Service)
3 23.7 MHz 52.0 dBmV 16 QAM
1 38.6 MHz 51.8 dBmV 16 QAM
2 30.6 MHz 52.0 dBmV 16 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV None

I have called regarding this issue. Peter told me that in order to get this forwarded to rogers that I will have to have my router disconnected and only modem plugged in for 24 hours. Problem is I can only get that done after 12 AM at night until 5 pm next day. However I can't call at 12 am as start is closed. Peter was very helpful and did acknowledge that the power values are way off the chart so what this does is get my modem to have the DS light flash and then the US light flash alternately.

I am on the 150/10 package. My only solution to this is to reset the modem. This just started 3 days ago. It was fine since then.

What can I do rocca? as I know rogers can be a pain in the butt for you guys but at the same time I want to get this fixed.

•••••••••

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

[Cable] Slow Usenet speeds in KW area

Anyone else in the KW area experiencing slow speeds with Usenet? I've been consistently getting around 3MB/s on my 60/10 service over the past week no matter what I'm grabbing off of Usenet.

••••
MarQu1s3

join:2009-01-01

TekSavvy Branded SmartRG SR505N - Compatible with Start?

I'm about to buy the aforementioned modem from someone off Kijiji who claims that TSI sold him the modem. Would it also work with this ISP, or is it locked to TekSavvy since he bought it from them? I am currently using Bell's 25/10 Fibe service, will it work out of the box or are there specific settings I will have to use to get it to work with Bell?

Also, is there any reason I shouldn't buy this modem off a seller from a classifieds site like Kijiji? He claims that it is brand new in box.

Thanks in Advance!

••••
imxo

join:2007-11-19

1 edit

Website (Steam) is not loading...

Hello,

It's been few weeks since Steam website (or any other page while using steam client) loaded very slow. So I was using firefox to just load steam website cause game library doesn't really require a connection.

But yesterday, it finally gave a ghost - the website is unreachable now. I've checked and could load Steam from other place just fine (same goes if using steam client). So is there something with network side of it?

Here is a trace:

Tracing route to store.steampowered.com [208.64.202.69]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 2 ms my.router [192.168.1.1]
2 11 ms 10 ms 9 ms 10.xxx.xx.x
3 16 ms 17 ms 12 ms 64.140.112.118
4 15 ms 22 ms 12 ms 64.140.112.117
5 25 ms 21 ms 24 ms 10ge7-4.core1.tor1.he.net [209.51.164.81]
6 49 ms 106 ms 23 ms 100ge13-1.core1.chi1.he.net [184.105.80.5]
7 44 ms 100 ms 101 ms 100ge13-1.core1.msp1.he.net [184.105.223.178]
8 76 ms 73 ms 71 ms 100ge9-1.core1.sea1.he.net [184.105.223.193]
9 166 ms 101 ms 101 ms eqnx-v4-1.sea.valve.net [198.32.134.56]
10 123 ms 102 ms 99 ms 205.196.6.37
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 ^C

In #17 hop, I just cancelled, cause it wouldn't load anyways.

Here is google.ca trace, which works fine:

Tracing route to google.ca [173.194.43.95]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms my.router [192.168.1.1]
2 15 ms 12 ms 11 ms 10.xxx.xx.x
3 18 ms 12 ms 13 ms 64.140.112.118
4 12 ms 16 ms 13 ms 64.140.112.117
5 16 ms 12 ms 20 ms 72.14.198.214
6 16 ms 12 ms 12 ms 216.239.47.114
7 45 ms 12 ms 23 ms 72.14.239.19
8 17 ms 12 ms 12 ms yyz08s09-in-f31.1e100.net [173.194.43.95]

Trace complete.

All the other websites load just fine - well the ones I use often enough (even forums.steampowered.com) ...
Haven't tried to bypass router yet (but double-checked all the settings, nothing has been changed there as far as i know)

Could someone take a look or advice to what might be the problem?

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: forgot to say, it's Cogeco area

•••••
rockfire

join:2011-01-28

2 recommendations

The little things Start does for customers

I requested an upgrade to the new 60/10 profile on my Start cable. May 24th I was upgraded to the new profile.

I received my invoice June 1st and no adjustments for 6 days of the new profile from my old 45/4. Just billing for the new plan starting for the month of June. While I was with Big Red, any change followed by removals and additions of services to ensure every cent possible was captured.

This may go unnoticed by some, I however, see it as putting customers first where possible. I do post here when I have problem with my internet and I think it's fair to post when I get good customer service when their are no issues. Thank-you Start for not trying to nickel and dime me!.

•••••••••••••••••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 17 · 18 · 19 · next