dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

forum logo
some frequent posters..
Welcome to the start.ca forum
Services include Residential Internet (Fibre, Cable, DSL, Dialup) and Business Internet and Hosting
Group: All, Cable, rCable, cCable, DSL, TV
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

gojets
join:2014-07-25

gojets

[TV] R120 update.

Just throwing it out there to see if its close or if there have been any delays?

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave

Premium Member

Re: [TV] R120 update.

Any word on the Inspur Android TV upgrades?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

said by LondonDave:

The firmware on the Inspur with Android 10 is still working through one issue, however the APK updates to R132 are expected to go out this week. The reach client is being pushed today/tomorrow (it's seamless, ie won't notice anything other than the reach client version being updated) and assuming that goes as planned, the APK's are all sitting waiting to be released in the Google, Apple and Amazon stores. With with STB's can also update by logging into the Google store of course, but it's different than the firmware release which has it embedded (ie don't need a store account for that).
CyberMac
join:2019-01-09
North Bay, ON

CyberMac

said by rocca:

said by LondonDave:

The firmware on the Inspur with Android 10 is still working through one issue, however the APK updates to R132 are expected to go out this week. The reach client is being pushed today/tomorrow (it's seamless, ie won't notice anything other than the reach client version being updated) and assuming that goes as planned, the APK's are all sitting waiting to be released in the Google, Apple and Amazon stores. With with STB's can also update by logging into the Google store of course, but it's different than the firmware release which has it embedded (ie don't need a store account for that).

Any update on the Inspur firmware upgrade that will fix the Bluetooth issue? Time is quickly approaching September 2022, which will mark 3 years since Android 10 was released. Hopefully this does not put device certification in jeopardy as it was when the Android 9 upgrade was finally ready.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

3 recommendations

rocca

Premium Member

That was part of the delay, ie the new firmware is on A11 - so we had to go back and manage compatibility through a major release update. It's down to one issue regarding horizontal scrolling smoothness - but ugh, yes, it's been a journey. Part of our strategy is really to get the platform to support BYOD at large, half of which is held up by the Apple release - and specifically the one issue on fMP4 that we're working through.
CyberMac
North Bay, ON

CyberMac

said by rocca:

That was part of the delay, ie the new firmware is on A11 - so we had to go back and manage compatibility through a major release update. It's down to one issue regarding horizontal scrolling smoothness - but ugh, yes, it's been a journey. Part of our strategy is really to get the platform to support BYOD at large, half of which is held up by the Apple release - and specifically the one issue on fMP4 that we're working through.

Are you aware what platform Teksavvy and/or Vmedia use which allowed them to offer BYOD, seemingly, much easier and sooner?

I'm just curious... For me it is the stable, reliable Internet and Support that Start provides coupled with the Start TV remote that keeps me from looking elsewhere. BYOD is great and all but we've done the whole each device with its own remote thing years ago and the last few years have been nice with just a single and capable remote.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

See now

»[TV] R132 update or R140 updates

jeffrey15287
join:2013-10-04
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

2 edits

jeffrey15287

[TV] R132 update

Android new version R132.5.19 released on may 19th
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· CA&gl=US

Amazon new version released on may 11th 132.5.19
»www.amazon.ca/-/fr/dp/B0 ··· ge=en_CA

Apple
»apps.apple.com/us/app/st ··· 20673676

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave

Premium Member

Re: [TV] R132 update

Any more word on the STB android updates? I use them at my cottage and wouldn’t mind a security update for them and maybe a fix for the wonky audio codecs

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

2 recommendations

rocca

Premium Member

said by LondonDave:

Any more word on the STB android updates? I use them at my cottage and wouldn’t mind a security update for them and maybe a fix for the wonky audio codecs

The firmware is still held up by one small issue - it's frustrating, but it's been escalated to the top at MK, along with the fMP4 issue for Apple TV. Have a senior meeting with the team myself next week to get first-hand update on how we can get past it. In the mean-time, we're continuing to get ready for BYOD and support for the Apple TV, one-way-or-another.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

said by rocca:

said by LondonDave:

The firmware is still held up by one small issue - it's frustrating, but it's been escalated to the top at MK, along with the fMP4 issue for Apple TV. Have a senior meeting with the team myself next week to get first-hand update on how we can get past it. In the mean-time, we're continuing to get ready for BYOD and support for the Apple TV, one-way-or-another.

aren't the box firmware done by inspur since the boxes are there product? or does inspur just sell a box full of hardware and firmware has to be figured out by whatever company buys those boxes.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The firmware is more than just device drivers, it includes the OS, the software, the drivers, etc.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

@rocca or gabe

since its been some time since we have had any updates on whats going on with tv and its the new year i was wondering if u can get us some updates on whats going on with things

Android 10 stb?
can u get a a patch notes for whats being fixed by R140?
sound loudness fixes for channels that are out of wack IE the weather channel and many others?
5.1 sound
apparently we don't need stbs anymore? can u tell us more about this and how policy's will be updated so c/s will 't stop refusing support if a person can't test from an stb like they have in the past?
HD feeds for the handful of SD channels left.
Whatever happened to voice control that was suppose to come out with R120 it never seemed to happen and hasn't been bought up again?

fire sticks currently have an issue where if u try to restart something that is currently running the show either won't restart or don't go all the way back to the start. only seems to affect something that is currently running not something already over. not sure if other platforms are affected.

i'm sure there is other things i'm forgetting here but it would be nice to get a general update on what is going on.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

We have done a soft launch with BYOD, and evaluating how it goes before it's full launch which is anticipated later next month. That includes our approach for existing STB's which will be addressed then - and 5.1 audio is post-launch.

Last couple SD channels are on list as well, but all our focus is on the BYOD full launch, and getting the web site platform updated so we can more easily roll out these types of TV changes in the future.

As for a changelog for R140, sorry no there isn't something like that really available - but I recommend people run the latest version, and if they are having problems please let our support team know and they'd be happy to assist.

Thanks.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

2 edits

jeffrey15287

said by rocca:

We have done a soft launch with BYOD, and evaluating how it goes before it's full launch which is anticipated later next month. That includes our approach for existing STB's which will be addressed then - and 5.1 audio is post-launch.

Last couple SD channels are on list as well, but all our focus is on the BYOD full launch, and getting the web site platform updated so we can more easily roll out these types of TV changes in the future.

As for a changelog for R140, sorry no there isn't something like that really available - but I recommend people run the latest version, and if they are having problems please let our support team know and they'd be happy to assist.

Thanks.

@rocca

so the end of Feb is getting closer can we get any updates on how things are coming.

can we assume that BYOD is now fully lunched? i got rid of my last stb and every seems to work perfectly without having an stb logged in.

are any updates on when STB will get Andorid 10 people been waiting like 2 years at this point for that update

what about 5.1 sound?

or fixes for channels that have inconstant volume?

When will R140 be pushed out to the official stores. the last beta hit the amazon test store on dec 12th and I've been testing it since then no further betas have came out the update seems to be stable and should be safe to put out for everyone.

is there any word for a platform were beta testers can go to talk about beta testing. right now its basically impossible to know what is going on. u only know when a new beta comes out by manually checking the amazon store. no emails are sent out to say when a new beta is released. plus no one even tells us what is fixed or what to look out for in the beta so u just gotta look for random bugs and guess. we don't even have a go to person to report the bugs to.
CyberMac
North Bay, ON

CyberMac

said by jeffrey15287:

said by rocca:

Thanks.

so the end of Feb is getting closer can we get any updates on how things are coming.

can we assume that BYOD is now fully lunched? i got rid of my last stb and every seems to work perfectly without having an stb logged in.

are any updates on when STB will get Andorid 10 people been waiting like 2 years at this point for that update

what about 5.1 sound?

or fixes for channels that have inconstant volume?

So, the end of February has come and gone, as has the end of March. We are fast approaching the middle of April. Any updates on the STB firmware update to Android 10 and to fix the Bluetooth remote issues?? BYOD? 5.1 sound? Inconsistent channel volume??

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

i know BYOD is do able i returned my STB a couple months ago and everything works with just fine without it.

getting any info out of start on what is going on is next to impossible now. ud think with the infusion cash from telus that they would have a wad of cash to though at some of the issues that have been on hold for years. plus there is the unstable channels freezing up lately that no one seems has an answer for.

funny thing is R140 has been in beta since late nov one update to it was released dec 15th i've found no bugs with it but they still haven't released it to end users and no newer releases to it have came. last update i could get out of them was it would be going full relase soon but that was in jan
jeffrey15287

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287

just got this email

We're excited to share some updates with you regarding our channels and new features we've added to enhance your viewing pleasure. Our aim is to keep you fully informed of any changes, so we can continue to provide you with the best possible entertainment experience.

Exciting channel updates

1. Teletoon and Cartoon Network has new branding! Rest-assured that there will be no pricing or channel changes, it will only appear on your cable package under a different name.

2. We’re pleased to announce that we’ll soon introduce a new channel, The News Forum, which will offer you the latest news and information. You can add this a-la-carte as an individual channel, and it will be an addition to the News Theme Pack at no cost. This will launch in May 2023.

3. OutTV is now part of the Light package with no additional cost.

System updates coming in April

We're pleased to let you know that we're in the final stages of testing and certification for firmware and TV applications. We'll roll out the updates in the coming weeks, which will bring many improvements such as enhanced stability and resiliency, improved performance, bug fixes, and more.

We recommend checking your device's app store or logging your device into your Google account regularly to ensure that you have the latest version of Start TV installed.

Watch Start TV on your own devices!

Discover more viewing options with Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). Whether you prefer a Set Top Box, Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, or Google TV, we’ve got you covered! Start enjoying your favourite shows in the way that suits you best.

Click here to see the list of devices you can use to watch Start TV.

Introducing a new and improved Set Top Box

Exciting news! We’re thrilled to announce the launch of our latest Set Top Box – the Amigo 7x. Equipped with the latest specs, this device ensures that you have the ultimate viewing experience. With its user-friendly remote control, you'll have complete control at your fingertips. Plus, the Amigo 7x also offers enhanced remote management support, making it easier than ever to navigate and manage your device.

Whether you prefer to rent or purchase, the Amigo 7x will be available at the end of April 2023. Don't miss out on this incredible device and all it has to offer!

At Start.ca, we're always striving to provide our customers with the best possible service and features. We hope you're as excited as we are about these latest updates and enhancements. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Our friendly customer support team is always available to assist you.
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287

so from the sounds of it they will finally release the android 10 firmware for the current stbs witch fixes the Bluetooth issues that have plagued the device for over 2 years.

going forward it looks like this will be the new stb

»www.goamt.com/wp-content ··· 2019.pdf

witch has more ram not sure if the cpu is better also has hdmi 2.1 support.

and byod is full lunch now i guess so if u don't want an stb u don't need one anymore. been using mine with out the stb on my system for 2 months now with no issue.

probably can also assume that R140 app will lunch with the the firmware update witch will mean far less updates to do on the stb if u have to do factory resets.
deafmonkey
Premium Member
join:2013-04-16
·Start.ca
SmartRG SR505N
Asus GT-AC2900

1 edit

deafmonkey to jeffrey15287

Premium Member

to jeffrey15287
said by jeffrey15287:

Exciting news! We’re thrilled to announce the launch of our latest Set Top Box – the Amigo 7x. Equipped with the latest specs, this device ensures that you have the ultimate viewing experience. With its user-friendly remote control, you'll have complete control at your fingertips. Plus, the Amigo 7x also offers enhanced remote management support, making it easier than ever to navigate and manage your device.

Seems like another very underwhelming device, so does that mean we can trade in our $150 underwhelming device for another underwhelming?

I gave up on start tv in Feb, I'm not going back, I'm still looking for another ISP that is very accessibility friendly - the virgin plus 300meg internet plan for $70/month is very enticing for me currently and they can go lower if you have a CNIB card, the only way they can get me back on start tv is better sports package comparable to buying directly from sportsnet and TSN yearly package rates, $50 for sports/month is INSANE.

Edit: I currently use virgin plus for accessibility as nobody else has their accessibility options for cellphone ie; »www.virginplus.ca/accessibility and with CNIB card there's more benefits. They also slash about 25% or higher off your internet bill if you use both cellphone and internet through them even with promo pricing they seem to be on par with rogers connected for success pricing roughly with CNIB card. I find them to be very friendly and helpful for accessibility features which has been quite a shocking experience for me compared to anyone else, start has nothing like them and they never will. they even killed their accessibility page as I said that they would do »www.start.ca/accessibility (Link doesn't exist now) ergo they are getting rid of their disabled employees and customers with disabilities waste of money obviously.

If I cannot trade in or so for a discount, I do have an STB for sale for $50 or best offer for anyone in the GTA, pick up or pay your shipping only as I'm not going to get anything more than that, I presume my best offer will be like $10.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

said by deafmonkey:

said by jeffrey15287:

Seems like another very underwhelming device, so does that mean we can trade in our $150 underwhelming device for another underwhelming?

I gave up on start tv in Feb, I'm not going back, I'm still looking for another ISP that is very accessibility friendly - the virgin plus 300meg internet plan for $70/month is very enticing for me currently and they can go lower if you have a CNIB card, the only way they can get me back on start tv is better sports package comparable to buying directly from sportsnet and TSN yearly package rates, $50 for sports/month is INSANE.

If I cannot trade in or so for a discount, I do have an STB for sale for $50 or best offer for anyone in the GTA, pick up or pay your shipping only as I'm not going to get anything more than that, I presume my best offer will be like $10.

idk u would have to check with rocca in the past i know they have been willing to work with people on hardware changes. if it was me i would offer a trade in program when start was just start such a thing would be out of the question but now that they got telus money behind them they could easily offer to let people trade in boxes.

the new one is pretty on par with what is offered by other providers spec wise.

the company who offers this box seem to be located in the us vs china so maybe when they need firmware updates it will be much better vs inspur were it takes years just to get a firmware update for the box done.

but with byod now in full force there is 0 reason to even buy an stb when u can just get a fire stick or shield or apple device witch will be far better supported by those companies with updates.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to jeffrey15287

Premium Member

to jeffrey15287
Looks like they have updated their backend and changed the menu, the text is larger, they added color and while you wait for the #$*ing spinning thing to stop they have added a channel backdrop.

IMHO it seems slower changing channels and of course the CTV2 channel issues with the spinner continue to pop-up around 6pm durring the news cast (tonight London was a problem but Kitchener and Windsor seemed to work fine) .

EDIT: PVR menu and layout is different, I just deleted an entire set of shows rather than just one - opps.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

said by Thane_Bitter:

Looks like they have updated their backend and changed the menu, the text is larger, they added color and while you wait for the #$*ing spinning thing to stop they have added a channel backdrop.

IMHO it seems slower changing channels and of course the CTV2 channel issues with the spinner continue to pop-up around 6pm durring the news cast (tonight London was a problem but Kitchener and Windsor seemed to work fine) .

EDIT: PVR menu and layout is different, I just deleted an entire set of shows rather than just one - opps.

ya i've noticed a few back end changes that seem to have just started.

don't hold ur breath that R140 will fix those channel issues as there happening on there to

funny its sounds like there just going to get the firmware update to the stb out now as there replacing the stb with another one. i wasn't part of the beta test for the android 10 version just the version before when it was just a Bluetooth fix. but if the new firmware comes loaded with bugs I'm betting customers will get stuck with those bug because why kept making updates to an stb ur not selling anymore

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

I think I found a but with it, I had the viewer guide up while a show was running but got distracted with a matter and left it that way for perhaps 10 minutes or more, but when I closed the menu a still image was stuck on the screen, the audio feed was still coming through but the image was stuck. A not so quick change to another channel and back resolved the stuck image issue.
lij1972
join:2005-09-27
Burlington, ON

lij1972 to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
How is the Remind function supposed to work. It doesn't seem to do anything.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Don't know, its broken or it has alzheimer's.
Thane_Bitter

Thane_Bitter to jeffrey15287

Premium Member

to jeffrey15287
R140 STB Errata:
STB still "times out" on start up: "Application Load Timeout Start TV services are not responding. If this problem persists, contact your service provider. EXIT TRY AGAIN"

Volume levels are inconstant across the channel range, The weather channel, CP24 and VisionTV seem to be among the loudest

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287

Re: [TV] R140 update

said by Thane_Bitter:

R140 STB Errata:
STB still "times out" on start up: "Application Load Timeout Start TV services are not responding. If this problem persists, contact your service provider. EXIT TRY AGAIN"

Volume levels are inconstant across the channel range, The weather channel, CP24 and VisionTV seem to be among the loudest

there is a new post for R140 issues here

»R140 Out now Android/Apple/Amazon
ramarian
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
London, ON

2 recommendations

ramarian

Premium Member

[rCable] Channel 132 - CFPL London

Once again right in the middle of the news at 6:14 PM the channel freezes. So then I change to another channel and try to go back an get a black screen with the spinning progress wheel. This seems to happen quite often during the news. I have seen it happen quite a few times over the last couple of weeks. Been trying unsuccessfully for the last 20 minutes and the station still does not come back. Anyone else seeing this. I am using the STB. StartTV app Version 132.5.19.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

2 edits

jeffrey15287

Re: [rCable] Channel 132 - CFPL London

so this issue with the london news freezing is still going on all these months later with no sign of fix.

i went ahead and filed a complaint with the ccts not cutting start any more slack now that telus owns them.

just got an email back from

Dave Robson
Customer Support and Operations Manager

guess will see if this lights a fire under there ass to actual bother to fix this.

also sent him a list of other problems

such as the volume issues and some of the issues i see people complaints about with sports stuff

finally getting R140 and the Android 10 update for stb outs scratched a few things off starts TO DO list that has stuff dating back to 2020. but there is still stuff that people have had complaints about for months/years that have gone no where.
classicaldog
join:2012-01-02
Thornhill, ON

classicaldog

Thank you, Jeffrey, for filing the complaint.

CTV, especially Toronto 128 that I try to watch, is so bad during the 6 PM news that I either wait until 7:02 PM to watch it, (even that fails sometimes mid show,) or go to CTV directly and use my START sign in. The direct connection does not have lookback, sadly.

For others, can you provide a link to where we can also file complaints? The more, the merrier!

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 edit

jeffrey15287

said by classicaldog:

Thank you, Jeffrey, for filing the complaint.

CTV, especially Toronto 128 that I try to watch, is so bad during the 6 PM news that I either wait until 7:02 PM to watch it, (even that fails sometimes mid show,) or go to CTV directly and use my START sign in. The direct connection does not have lookback, sadly.

For others, can you provide a link to where we can also file complaints? The more, the merrier!

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/

here it is u fill it out takes 3 or 4 days to process and forward to start. the ccts says start has 20 days to do something about it from when i made my complaint tueday after that they will step in to mediate and make sure it gets fixed.

in the past i cut start a lot more slack being a small provider just barely getting by. but if they got telus millions now telus should have taken inventory of some of these issues that have been long standing and though enough money at it to get all of them ticked off quickly. if this was telus optik service u can be sure they would not let a channel keep freezing up for 4 months.
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287

last update i got on this was on the 12th saying they were going to have a meeting about the issue last week and that they would update me later in the week. have heard nothing back yet.
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287 to ramarian

to ramarian
they claim this issue is fixed can people watch the london news on 132 and or the other one 128 that was reported by classicaldog and report back if it goes down.

••••
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287 to ramarian

to ramarian
i guess they may have finally fixed the london news issue. i haven't gotten any complaints in the past few nights.

if any one sees any other channel that freezes up please report back here with the channel number and time and i will forward it to the manger who has been working on this.

••••
CrackAttack
join:2020-01-17
Kanata, ON

CrackAttack to ramarian

to ramarian
I still get freezes at least once a day on different devices, different channels. TSN happens a lot, but that does tend to be what I watch more often than not. Just happened now on discovery velocity, channel up/down isn't recovering it yet. Even worse, it never recovers if you leave it alone. Had it burn in my old bedroom plasma tv when golf froze yesterday. Frustrating.

I'd love to get a bit of acknowledgment that this is being worked on. It HAS to be reproducible, I'm not sure what the holdup is in a fix. Heck, even throwing an error code is better than an indefinite freeze, the app should be able to detect this state.

•••
old fart
join:2004-05-26

old fart to ramarian

to ramarian
For me it's CTV-Barrie that craps out right at news time (6:00 pm).
Being a conspiracy theorist; for me, the proposed shutdown of local channels by CTV in order to save money is significant.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287 to ramarian

to ramarian
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/

here is the link make ur complaints it only takes like 5 mins to submit and cost u nothing. start/telus does not care about us. rocca has been in hiding since the buy out and staff just have excesses why after 6 months this still is happening.

start thinks toughing 1 month of free service at me will make the problem better but how does that fix anything i didn't ask for money i asked for a service that works without a bunch of bullshit.
old fart
join:2004-05-26

old fart to ramarian

to ramarian
Click for full size
Maintenance tonight

jeffrey15287
London, ON

jeffrey15287

don't count on this fixing anything they claimed it was fixed last month and its not.
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287 to ramarian

to ramarian
CTV London crapped out again tonight

•••••
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287 to ramarian

to ramarian
so these people from the ccts are stupid.

i called them today to follow up and the guy said they closed the case today as resolved because start gave me a credit that i didn't ask for and does not fix the issue its not a billing issue. dispute the fact i called twice to follow up with them and let them know that the credit didn't fix the issue and they kept saying the case is waiting to be assigned to an agent...

anyway the case is reopened now more waiting...

the new email i got says

The complaint is entering the next stage of our process, investigation. During the investigation, we gather information from the customer and the provider in order to determine whether the provider met its obligations to the customer.

Once the investigation is complete, we will issue Investigation Findings to both the customer and the provider. The customer and the provider will have the opportunity to review and accept our Investigation Findings, or request a case review if they believe we made a mistake.

Sincerely,
classicaldog
join:2012-01-02
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

classicaldog

[TV] Ch 128 (CTV-T) Ch 230 (YES) often fail

The spinning daisy of death, or the quiet black screen is something that has happened for years. But since mid-February, it is happening much more often. If my personal schedule permits, I can watch CTV-T news at 6 via the CTV app or website. If I'm late, I try to use Start. Yesterday CTV-T on Start would not operate for more that 30 seconds before freezing. I gave up and watched the CTV London news. Earlier this week, YES was just a black screen. I was able to watch my programs on the Detroit channel carrying the same programs. Because other channels were working, I don't think the app or my hardware platforms (CTV using the web version, YES using FireStick4kMax) were the problem, I think it was at Start's servers.

Are others experiencing the same or similar problems?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
ychar87
join:2023-03-19

ychar87

[TV] TSN 3 and 4?

Is TSN 3 or 4 not working for anyone else?

••••••••••
zehlek
join:2023-03-28

zehlek

[DSL] Smart RG SR506n

Hi, I bought a Smart RG SR506n modem from someone in Niagara Falls and I have to configure it to work with my ISP. In order to do this I need to login into the modem to configure it but I need the admin username and password from Start.ca. Can you please provide me with that information so I can configure the modem? Thank you

••••

Anona0f19
@45.3.5.x

Anona0f19

Anon

Chch down again

4-44-821 getting this error again I thought this was fixed what’s going on. Thanks

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••
BudMan
join:2022-09-12
St Thomas, ON

BudMan

Some commercials play twice the volume you were listening at

I've found this more and more lately. I called and the guy sez "I hate that too, but it's got nothing to do with Start."
I find that hard to believe. I've got music software that can make all recordings at the same level for gawd sake!
This is a Start problem that I'm sure they could rectify if enough people complain.

••••
kyip87
join:2009-07-27
East York, ON

kyip87

Hitron cda3 for home cable 1000?

Hello,

Im currently using a Hitron cda3 modem and have been using it on Start for the home cable 75-100. Wondering if it can handle home cable 1000 or close? Thank you

••••

Anon0d44c
@24.50.164.x

Anon0d44c

Anon

Sports net one

407 sports net 1 getting the spinning daisy.Thanks Start

••••••••••
CyberMac
North Bay, ON

CyberMac

Channel 407 - Sportsnet one - spinning wheel

Anyone else experiencing a spinning wheel and no picture/audio on channel 407?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

[TV] TV service dropped out for several minutes

Looks like the start TV system crapped out for a couple of minutes, it was not a local connectivity issue as I was connected via VPN to my home network during the outage. Having them reset the STB did nothing, service returned on its own. Not quite sure how long it was down, perhaps between 5-10 minutes.
Ironmike
join:2009-02-18
Brantford, ON

1 recommendation

Ironmike

Re: [TV] TV service dropped out for several minutes

Judging by the spike on the down detector, it appears to be another Rogers issue. Back up here now.

»downdetector.ca/status/rogers

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Re: [TV] TV service dropped out for several minutes

Might be but I don't have cable at home and when the Jolly Rogers network imploded months ago Start.ca's TV service was not impacted.

They have made changes so its possible rogers issues may now impact their services, though you would think they would use Telus networks when ever possible now.
Wildfire983
join:2017-12-10
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

Wildfire983

Well, I guess now we?re supposed to know

Just got the email. Starting with the bundling already.

Start.ca Logo
TELUS Logo
Start.ca is now a part of TELUS.
generic-banner
Hello Wildfire983,

You’ve probably heard the exciting news! Start.ca has joined forces with Canada’s most trusted telecom, TELUS.1 We’re touching base to explain the ‘why’ behind our decision. We wanted to ensure we had all the details to share with you before we formally reached out.
Why TELUS?
The decision to partner with TELUS was made with both our customers and our employees’ best interests in mind. Start.ca was founded on the belief that our customers should have access to fast and reliable internet with the friendliest service in the business. Our partnership with TELUS means we can continue providing the same stellar service we've offered since 1995, while also expanding our product offerings and investing more in neighbourhoods throughout Ontario (including yours!). 

TELUS has been at the forefront of innovation by connecting homes and businesses to some of the fastest and most advanced networks in the world. As more devices become connected and internet continues to be a cornerstone in our daily lives, reliable speed and capacity are crucial. TELUS also shares our passion and dedication to community engagement, sustainability, and creating a ‘friendly future’. This partnership is a win-win for our customers and employees alike as TELUS is synergistic with our purpose, culture, and commitment to our customers.
What does this mean for you?
Together with TELUS we are committed to: 
Giving you access to TELUS’ global-leading wireless networks along with capabilities to bundle your home internet and mobility services for greater monthly savings
Offering you a suite of home automation and security, health and entertainment products and services
Continuing to make investments in your community with the backing of one of the most giving companies in Canada
Start.ca and TELUS are working together to provide you with exceptional services that meet your unique needs. As part of the acquisition, the personal information you've shared with Start.ca has been shared with TELUS. This allows us to offer you more personalized services, enhance your overall satisfaction, and ensure you receive a seamless experience. The security of your personal information is of the utmost importance to us, so we have taken all necessary measures to safeguard your information.

Start.ca will continue to provide the same customer experience and our signature fast and friendly service, available 24/7 year-round. There will be no changes to your account as a result of this partnership.
What does this mean for us?
Our staff is now a part of the TELUS family. Our operations remain in London and we will continue to lead this dedicated and talented team under the Start.ca brand. You can still root for your friendly internet provider!

As an official welcome to the TELUS family, you can enjoy perks right away!
koodo-headline
Since TELUS is on the same team as Koodo Mobile, here is an exclusive offer to you:
Save
price-png
With bill credits of $10/mo. for 24 months on select Koodo phone plans. Plus, we will waive the $50 connection fee.*

New activations only.

Add promo code: START2023K when you shop online
Shop now
koodo-shapes-logo
If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please contact us toll-free at 1-866-434-5888. As always, our friendly team will be available to assist you anytime.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you. We’re grateful to have customers and partners like you, and we’re truly humbled by your support, trust, and business. We remain fully committed to providing you with reliable internet service, and we’re honoured to have you with us every step of the way!

Your Start.ca team
Start.ca logo and services
1 Based on 2022 Most Trusted Brand in Canada. © 2022 Gustavon School of Business, University of Victoria, Brand Trust Index (GBTI). All rights reserved.

* Limited time only. Offer available only to start.ca customers who are activating on a new Koodo rate plan $55 and up. Savings include a $10 bill credit per month, applied to your account for 24 months, and a waiving of our $50 connection fee. Bill credit will be applied for 24 months (or as long as the customer meets eligibility requirements). Offer cannot be combined with any other promotions or promo codes. Koodo reserves the right to change or withdraw the offer at any time and without notice. Credit provided is discretionary and includes applicable taxes (based on the taxes levied in the province of supply) therefore the value displayed on your bill is the value before tax. For example, a $10 discretionary credit towards Mobility service offered in ON includes $1.15 HST, meaning the credit value displayed will be $8.85.
Sent by Start.ca, 1-700 York Street, London, ON N5W 2S8, Canada, 1-866-434-5888 on its own behalf and on behalf of TELUS Communications Inc., 30th Floor, 25 York St., Toronto, ON M5J 2V5

Start.ca Privacy Policy | TELUS Privacy Commitment.

Unsubscribe
If you no longer wish to receive TELUS communications, please unsubscribe here.
If you no longer wish to receive email marketing communications from Koodo Mobile, please unsubscribe here.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
LinkedIn
YouTube

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

jeffrey15287
London, ON
·Start.ca
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 edit

3 recommendations

jeffrey15287

R140 Out now Android/Apple/Amazon

R140 is now in the

Arndroid store
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· CA&gl=US

and apple
»apps.apple.com/us/app/st ··· 20673676

Amazon
»www.amazon.ca/Tangerine- ··· 7KQLNVWM

••••••••••••••••••••••
deafmonkey
Premium Member
join:2013-04-16
·Start.ca
SmartRG SR505N
Asus GT-AC2900

1 recommendation

deafmonkey

Premium Member

[rCable] Start or Rogers?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I had a lot of trouble watching the leafs game last night and I see the ping times were high but is it enough to affect streaming? I had to stop and restart to get better quality then stop and restart, it was annoying.

I wonder if start has capacity issues now as I have noticed some ugly dynamic routing changes a lot especially the steam gaming.

I have been trying to monitor coextro.com before switching to them to see what it's like but it's hard to do if my connection is not up to par.

I have added 48hr pingplotter graphs however if someone wants it much longer, it can be provided. Start get's more blackouts now I have noticed since the switch to telus in the past few weeks.

Have a nice day.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Anon1160d
@45.3.5.x

Anon1160d

Anon

Chch

Chch crapped out again no error message.It just froze.looks like nothing much has changed since the update.
ahuj99
join:2013-07-28

ahuj99

Google unreachable

Just me?

•••••••
nbaron
join:2019-02-06
Pickering, ON

2 recommendations

nbaron

Looks like Start has lowered prices

Click for full size
Saw this today on the website

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

dmbcanada
join:2009-06-01
London, ON

dmbcanada

TP-Link TC-7650

So I used a TP-Link TC-7650 when I was on Start Rcable from 2019-2022, is this modem now obsolete? I was looking to sell but doesn't look supported on Start so I am assuming will be the same for all TPIA?

•••
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

1 edit

iamhere

[DSL] Both sad and digusting... all at the same time.

Literally went YEARS with start without issue- NONE. It's been what, a week or two since these bozos sold to the idiots at Telus and I'm on my THIRD outage.

Things are so bad I'm actually considering just going to pure fiber with the devil himself... BELL.

I was planning on moving but this crap service is just expediting matters.

ETA: Just noticed they don't even sell DSL anymore. Great way to "force" your customers to a new product... give them an unusable current product.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next