dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Welcome to the Start Communications forum
Services include Residential Internet (Cable, DSL, Dialup) and Business Internet and Hosting
Group: All, Cable, rCable, cCable, DSLprev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 16 · 17 · 18 · next

damir

join:2013-12-12
CANADA

VPN - When to expect?

Hello start,

I don't remember seeing any thread\discussion about VPN Lately.

VOIP is almost ready, IPV6 is working, what about VPN?

When could we expect this?

Thanks!

rogersmogers

@start.ca

Re: VPN - When to expect?

I stopped asking because I personally don't need it anymore.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
After VOIP.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I fail to see a need for it actually....The whole point of a VPN from my point of view is to make it seem like your requests are coming DIFFERENT provider than your home internet connection for example.

Ideally this host would be offshore from your current location, in a country that places priority on privacy. What kind of additional privacy would you expect from a Start VPN vs your regular start connection?

If they got any kind of request for your information, they would hand it over under the same circumstances as the ISP side when in fact, the proxy side should be more stringent.
--
www.613websites.com - Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

rogersmogers

@start.ca

VPN is more for cable users who want things like static IP's etc.. stuff DSL can get now.

damir

CANADA

yep, simple.

not sure why people always think something is "needed" to 'cover something' or 'hide from something , someone'.

weird.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Because that is what 99% of people use it for

I forgot its currently impossible to have a static IP on Rogers cable atm so yes actually, that is a real use for any VPN service Start would provide but worth the additionally month premium especially given you aren't supposed to be hosting servers behind it anyway?
--
www.613websites.com - Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

damir

CANADA

I am not in those 99%

I have around 30 dedicated servers world wide, it would be much easier for me to fix the access \ setup ftp backups to dedicated IP instead of using Dynamic IP (It doesn't change that often, but, again, it would be easier) - etc, etc, etc, etc.

mk_416

@start.ca
said by d4m1r:

I forgot its currently impossible to have a static IP on Rogers cable atm so yes actually, that is a real use for any VPN service Start would provide but worth the additionally month premium especially given you aren't supposed to be hosting servers behind it anyway?

Even then VPN is pointless when there are are things like DynDNS

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by d4m1r:

^^ This.

While a VPN can be used to tunnel services back to a cable customer to provide things that cable presently can't (IPv6 or a static address, for example), this is very much the fringe case of VPN use. Likewise for using a VPN to obfuscate your actual IP address. Certainly services like this are popular but the number of people doing this is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The vast, vast, vast majority of VPN implementations are used for one thing: connecting one machine to network to another for the purpose of connecting the two networks security over the public internet.

Best example is basically everyone who telecommutes into a large company. Cisco literally makes a fortune selling VPN hardware and software to telecommuters, though they are of course by no means the only player.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by d4m1r:

I fail to see a need for it actually....The whole point of a VPN from my point of view is to make it seem like your requests are coming DIFFERENT provider than your home internet connection for example.

No, that is completely wrong. This is only what tin hat wearers believe.

The purpose, and most wide use for them, of a VPN is to extend local access to a network over a WAN connection. Most common use, a person working from home having access to his company's enterprise LAN.

Using a VPN to hide yourself is an alternate and non-standard use. Privacy is not the goal of a VPN.
iamhere

join:2013-01-26
canada

So you aren't equating the Private in VPN (Virtual Private Network) to Privacy?

TypeS

London, ON

Any LAN behind a NAT router is private, that is what the private in VPN refers to. Not hiding your public IP address.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

Any LAN behind a NAT router is private, that is what the private in VPN refers to. Not hiding your public IP address.

This isn't entirely accurate.

The basic concept behind a Virtual Private Network is that you can tunnel traffic over the public internet in such a way that multiple machines and/or network segments can be logically connected by virtual links. The "private" part refers to the fact that this traffic is encrypted, thus allowing you to extend your private internal network traffic out over public networks without the associated security risk of having you data just out there in plain text.

While on it's face this has nothing to do with hiding your public IP address from the internet, you can certainly use a VPN to do so. If / if not it's a primary or secondary or whatever purpose of a VPN is somewhat moot.

And yes, privacy (specifically, data privacy) is basically the raison d'etre of a VPN. That's why they put the word "private" right there in the name.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

I am terrible at conveying what I mean in words sometimes, but you're right SimplePanda.

What I was trying to get at and you hit right on the mark, is that the date through the tunnel created by the VPN is private and encrypted. BUT once spit out the other end, it is no longer encrypted traffic, it's regular IP traffic. Which is why I stressed telecommuting as it is in most cases private from source to destination as it goes from someone's home LAN to their company's network.

VPNs like OpenVPN or PIA, once your traffic is spit out the other end at the provider's network, it's not longer encrypted. The only thing that's been accomplished is obscuring the source IP address (or destination, which ever way you're looking at the traffic flowing).

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

I am terrible at conveying what I mean in words sometimes, but you're right SimplePanda.

What I was trying to get at and you hit right on the mark, is that the date through the tunnel created by the VPN is private and encrypted. BUT once spit out the other end, it is no longer encrypted traffic, it's regular IP traffic. Which is why I stressed telecommuting as it is in most cases private from source to destination as it goes from someone's home LAN to their company's network.

VPNs like OpenVPN or PIA, once your traffic is spit out the other end at the provider's network, it's not longer encrypted. The only thing that's been accomplished is obscuring the source IP address (or destination, which ever way you're looking at the traffic flowing).

OpenVPN is actually quite excellent at traditional VPN tasks if you are talking about the open source variant you can install anywhere you like. It's especially great for dynamic clients connecting back to a central network in hub/spoke topology and it's really good at piercing firewalls with overly strict policy (you can run an OpenVPN server on port 443 or port 80 for example).

IPSec based VPN's really are the big daddy of the space but they still suffer from being somewhat of a p.i.t.a. to configure.
rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit
The only thing i see VPN useful for is when your at a public hot spot and want to protect your data from packet sniffers, or a way to access your home LAN from another location.

using a VPN from your own home ISP witch connects to a server in your home ISP seems pointless to me.

SSL connections to servers (Websites/Email/IM etc. etc.) for everything would be better. because the VPN spits the un-encrypted data out the other side and on to the internet.
smackYYZ

join:2010-03-31
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Yeah, not sure why you would want your ISP to provide a VPN except to get IPv6 over a IPv4 network. If it's to obviscate your IP address then use a proxy server or the tor network.

A lot of my traffic does travel over a VPN but that like said above, that is to:
- connect to a corporate network
- connect multiple homes so all devices are visible at all locations ( network to network )

Having a NAS at each location rsyncing over the vpn makes access to stored data easy and redundant.
rockfire

join:2011-01-28

[DSL] How many tech visits for DSL install/upgrade

Just a question, is it still two tech visit (Blue tech and Telcon) for a DSL install or upgrade?

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON
kudos:3

Re: [DSL] How many tech visits for DSL install/upgrade

It is not a 2 tech install anymore, it will be a Bell tech to do both exterior and interior work to get the connection sync up.
rockfire

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Start Sam:

It is not a 2 tech install anymore, it will be a Bell tech to do both exterior and interior work to get the connection sync up.

Thanks. That should simplify things
rockfire

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
Too funny. I post this and five minutes ago I get a knock on the door. Two people wearing "Blue" jackets.

Ask me if I had Rogers, I said no. Then they ask "third party", I said yes. They said "Teksavvy". I said no. Then, words I never heard combined in one sentence. "Can we come in and help you save money with Bell". Funny they pitched we have "fiber to your home". I didn't engage, however, funny how a "node" is a "home" in Blue eyes.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

This was during an install on our behalf?
rockfire

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by rocca:

This was during an install on our behalf?

No, just the timing of the door to door sales visit by Bell when I am considering upgrading my dsl with Start.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Ah, good - thought I was gonna have to lay down a whoop'n.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

You should have told them that they were a full day late to come around telling THOSE kind of tall tales !

(It's not April 1st anymore.)
Kryspy

join:2009-12-04
Welland, ON

PlayStation Network downloads

Aside from waking up at 2:00 am anyone come up with an idea of how to download games off peak?

Setting my router to deny service at all other times doesn't work as you have to hit retry on the PS4 to re-initiate downloads.

Kryspy

SWO

@start.ca

Re: PlayStation Network downloads

Go to an unlimited package
Chong6969

join:2008-02-20
Niagara Falls, ON

If Kryspy's in cogeco land then the only unlimited option is 6mbps

Sony needs to add an option for scheduled downloads to there consoles

Labi

@festivalhydro.com

On PS3, if you have ps+, you can schedule downloads.

PS4 does not have that ability yet.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Labi :

On PS3, if you have ps+, you can schedule downloads.

PS4 does not have that ability yet.

I think this is just for updates / cloud sync / etc. I don't think you can purchase things on the PSN and then defer the download until a specific time.

••••••

Sean1

@start.ca

Start, Google, or Open DNS?

Hey all. What's the verdict on which DNS servers you should use? Is it as simple as pinging each of them and picking the lowest pinged server?

Which one yields the best results? Or which DNS do you use?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

••••••••••••••••••••

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

[DSL] Apparently unable to reach site, using Start DNS (auto-assigned)

Another one of these...

I've been checking up on the men's world curling scores all week, at this site...

»wmcc2014.curlingevents.com/ ... Beijing, China

Starting yesterday, I could not reach it. That's in both Firefox and Chrome.
"Firefox can't find the server at wmcc2014.curlingevents.com."
"Oops! Google Chrome could not find wmcc2014.curlingevents.com"
Down for Everyone says...
"It's just you. »wmcc2014.curlingevents.com is up."

My modem/router is set to obtain DNS automatically.
And it shows 64.140.114.21 & 64.140.114.22 being used.

NOTE... I am on Start DSL. Those DNS numbers I am receiving are from Start's CABLE group of DNS, and not the DSL group. Is this significant? Is this a result of the recent DSL move to Toronto?

SO... I change things in the modem/router, and hard-assign my DNS selection to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Now, I CAN reach that site.

What might cause this change in access? Will it fix itself in hours or days, so I can go back to Start's auto-DNS?

Thx!

(for those interested, Canada finished the round-robin at 8W & 3L, in 2nd place; now they will go to the 1-2 Page playoff game against Norway)

••••
Firedevil

join:2012-03-08
Kitchener, ON

Huge amount of packet loss in Kitchener area as of 3PM

As the title says, I have been getting a lot of packet loss. It began at around 3pm after a 30 minute period of having no internet at all. I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on this issue because it is very disruptive having some things load instantly and then a second later everything is slowed to a crawl.

Here is a picture of a WinMTR test I ran with google.ca as a host:
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 753 | 753 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
| 10.104.122.1 - 46 | 265 | 144 | 0 | 9 | 25 | 7 |
|van58-6-240-105.dynamic.
rogerstelecom.net - 41 | 287 | 171 | 0 | 16 | 32 | 28 |
| 24.156.157.81- 44 | 273 | 154 | 0 | 16 | 31 | 14 |
| 72.14.198.214 - 41 | 289 | 173 | 0 | 14 | 57 | 12 |
| 209.85.255.232 - 51 | 249 | 123 | 0 | 14 | 37 | 12 |
| 72.14.239.73 - 42 | 283 | 166 | 0 | 13 | 27 | 25 |
| yyz08s10-in-f24.1e100.net - 44 | 273 | 154 | 0 | 13 | 27 | 11 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Imgur link for easier viewing: »imgur.com/F3ph3Up

••••••
zolotoiy

join:2010-12-16
Richmond Hill, ON

[rCable] Down in Richmond Hill

My Internet is completely off since this morning, modem cycling, all levels at zero. Anybody has same issue? Maybe Rogers just delivered final punch for cancelling cable TV

•••
bones

join:2014-04-06

Looking to join Start DSL- few questions

After reading all the good reports and reviews about Start my mind is made up to sign up. I'm currently signed with ACN and have 6mbps DSL with Dry-Loop and their Digital Phone.

For the time being, I'd just like to sign up with Start with their 6mbps service and get another phone service and later this spring/early summer get the standard FTTN. There's FTTN service on my street now as the boys in blue were here a couple of months ago trying their best to get me to sign. No way would I ever go back to them.

If I get the basic/unlimited 6mbps service now, will a tech have to come by?
Is dry-loop included with Start?
Will Start at any time in the future be looking at teaming with an IPTV partner?
Last one; what about their own digital phone service? I hear it's coming some time soon.

I have my own TD-8616 modem that's working great.

Thx!
Bones

••••••••
otter

join:2014-04-07
Canada

weirdness in Orleans, ON

Is Big Red up to something in Orleans or are they having trouble? Fri, sat, sun terrible upload speeds... 0.02, 0.05. Tech support and I worked through it on Sat, eventually fixing the problem with a full factory reset on the Thomson Modem, even though it was showing good numbers in the diagnostics screen. Maybe it was a coincidence, but by 0930 Sat night, everything was back to normal.

This morning, we lost the 'net completely for about 30 min, with the online light on the modem flashing. Two Big Red contractor vans prowling the neighbourhood.

Now it's back up and fine.

The intermittent service over the last couple of days has been frustrating, tech support did suggest that Big Red was doing some maintenance in our neck of the woods.

Anyone know what's going on?

On a side note, I tried to run test.bat on Sat and the computer I was using flat out refused to run it, even in safe mode, even as an administrator. Kept getting the warning that there was no file association for test.bat. Any ideas?

•••••••

GJH

@rogers.com

Okay...I am officially done with Rogers!!!

My START install date is April 21 can`t wait!!!

Start Sam

London, ON

Re: Okay...I am officially done with Rogers!!!

Welcome aboard!

Let me know if you need any assistance or questions answered, I'll be happy to help.
tangje

join:2010-08-05

Transferring existing cable service - rental property

I live in a rental house that and currently have Cogeco cable internet in my name. I am moving out and would like to transfer to Start cable internet for the new tenants. The Start account would have to be in one of their names.

Can this transfer be done to avoid the $50 installation charge? Or do the new tenants have to have a separate install done rather than a transfer?

Thanks.

•••••
londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON

[rCable] Upload Speed 20M?

Notice that Rogers is offering 20M upload speeds on its Ultimate Package. Any chance that we might see these speeds as an add-on?

Start Sam

London, ON

Re: [rCable] Upload Speed 20M?

A 20Mb/s upload option shares the same stance as the 250/20 package being offered and has been discussed a few times.

Most recent discussion can be found here:

»[rCable] New Red Ultimate Package 250/20
oCyberFreako

join:2013-07-25
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·ooma

Read This Article About Starting an ISP

I'm not looking to start up a new ISP in the SW Ontario area, I just wanted to say that after reading the article it has given me a greater respect for the hurdles and accomplishments that Start has gone through.

Link here:
»arstechnica.com/business/2014/04···ly-hard/
--
Start Communications
Ooma VoIP
ssjenforcer

join:2012-11-25

Will Start offer comparable 120Mbps/400GB packages?

For some time now I have had the "best" internet package with Start, which at the time I purchased it was 30Mbps with 400gb usage limit.
Since then there has been a 60Mbps package added, but with only 300gb limit, which is atrocious; and for a much higher price than I'm paying.

Will Start offer a 120Mbps package sometime this year?
preferably with a PRACTICAL usage limit, as Cogeco's highest two internet packages BOTH offer 425gb limits.

I have my account grandfathered at 400gb still but if I ever want a faster speed I will be forced to give that up unless Start offers a better usage limit.
Streaming is becoming the norm now and I can't do that, with roommates especially,
if Start doesn't offer something better.

PS.
I moved to Start FROM Cogeco to get a better usage limit at the time, and sacrificed 20Mbps (50--->30) of my download speed, and now Cogeco offers better for both.
I hate to regret my decision but if Start doesn't offer something better soon I might have to switch back.

••••••••••••••••••••
scubarob

join:2009-09-13
Ajax, ON

2 edits

Problems in Ajax

Click for full size
Just wondering if anyone is experiencing service issues in Ajax.
Speed seems to have come to a crawl, and almost impossible to load web pages.
Experiencing 50% packet loss with pings to start.ca.
Have also performed a hard-reset of the cable router

Start Sam

London, ON

Re: Problems in Ajax

We don't have any reports of issues for Ajax

I would recommend calling to do some troubleshooting and get a ticket in if necessary.

Alternatively you can as well run this script: »start.ca/files/test.bat

Also run a speed test at »start.speedtest.net and run a test using the preferred server.

Sending the resulting file from the script and the speed test result to support@start.ca so we can evaluate.

Make sure testing is done with a computer direct to the modem.
scubarob

join:2009-09-13
Ajax, ON
Service seems to have restored. Must have been some maintenance occurring somewhere in the Network. Performance was dismal for approximately 2 hours
KyeU

join:2003-12-31
Canada

[rCable] Looking forward to joining Start

My transfer date was supposed to be tomorrow, but Rogers got excited and disconnected my services today.

Emailed Start support this morning, and 10 minutes after they responded and said they'll contact Rogers to see if the transfer could happen today (seeing how they already disconnected my Internet).

The Start rep told me that Rogers replied with: "We can't reschedule it as the transfer date booked is based on the service disconnection date of the previous account."

Not too sure if anything can be done from Start's side (Start has been amazing in providing support) - it'd be nice if Rocca or someone could look into this - but this is moreso to raise awareness of Rob- I mean, Rogers' behaviour and immaturity.

I'm looking forward to tonight, or more probable, tomorrow

•••••••
daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Some help with modem stats

I'm on the 45/4 package with Start. I was with start in the past, moved to a new house, got 6 months free with rogers and moved back to start after the promotion with Rogers was done.

My 6 months with rogers was bad. Speeds were ugly, sometimes as bad as less than 3Mb down (on the same package). Had a tech come in and validate that the modem was fine, that the signal was fine, all apparently came up fine. He said as long as I can stream youtube without it buffering I would be fine. He said they don't look at speed tests as they are inconsistent...whatever. It never got fixed and I spent countless hours on the phone with rogers trying to fix it.

Ok, first day back with Start (yay) but still having speed issues. I thought maybe it might have been that rogers Hitron modem sucked, but alas I'm back on my 475 and still having issues. Here are the modem stats, hoping someone knows if this is in spec or not.

Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 651.0 MHz -1.9 dBmV 40.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 615.0 MHz -1.5 dBmV 40.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 621.0 MHz -1.6 dBmV 40.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 633.0 MHz -1.7 dBmV 40.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 639.0 MHz -1.8 dBmV 40.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 645.0 MHz -1.9 dBmV 40.2 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 657.0 MHz -1.8 dBmV 39.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 663.0 MHz -1.9 dBmV 40.1 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
1 38.6 MHz 39.3 dBmV 64 QAM
2 30.6 MHz 39.3 dBmV 64 QAM
3 23.7 MHz 37.8 dBmV 64 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 1.0 dBmV QPSK

Note that my diagnostics page times out after 2 minutes of auto refreshing itself.

»192.168.100.1/Diagnostics.asp

See anything obvious with the modem stats that might be causing my speed issues? Just did a speedtest to the Start test server and hit 15down/0.9up (i'm on the 45/4 package).

••••••
Savillian

join:2003-11-22

New Customer Questions

Hey all,

Moving soon and unfortunately have to give up my FTTH Looking to more than likely signup with Start but just have a couple small questions:

1.Can you request a specific install date? Just wondering if I can put my order in ASAP to know I will have service working.

2.If not, what is the timeline for an install date? How much before hand notice is needed?

BTW this is in Red territory, Saint George, ON actually.

Thanks!!!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Re: New Customer Questions

Thanks for your interest in our services:

1) Yes.

2) It's about a week lead-time, giving more is always a good idea if you want to hit a specific installation slot.

...good luck on your move!
awaisuk

join:2008-10-05

60/10 - when can we see those speeds on start?

Hi,

Rogers introduced new speed, 60/10 and I am very interested in that. Can start please tell me, when we can expect to see those speeds on start? Even an estimate would be appreciated.

Thanks.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Ger

join:2007-10-26
Mississauga, ON

[Cable] Moving from Cogeco to Rogers area

I own a DCM476 and I currently have service through Start in a Cogeco area. Will there be any issues if I move to a Rogers area that I should be aware of? Also, I'm on a grandfathered plan, which I assume I'll not be able to keep?

•••
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 16 · 17 · 18 · next