dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
PHONE POWER - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 18 · 19 · 20 · next
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
join:2006-08-28
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

New Fax to Voicemail and GUI enhancement

Click for full size
Now if Matt would get us some better simultaneous ring music while people wait that would be groovy. Also I have problems with it not being reliable? Don't know if it is just me? If not, then please kick the sever a times like it owes us money!

PhonePower
Premium Member
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

PhonePower

Premium Member

Re: New Fax to Voicemail and GUI enhancement

10 each hold music coming soon...

Kinzoo
join:2004-01-22
Buffalo, NY

Kinzoo

"Emergency failover number"

PhonePower,

Any ETA on this feature yet???

"Emergency failover number"

PhonePower
Premium Member
Winnetka, CA

PhonePower

Premium Member

Re: "Emergency failover number"

Due to customer demand, a couple features have been pushed higher on the priority list. It's on our roadmap for this year but no rollout date set. We're planning on testing this feature in our development environment next month.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

2 edits

44402812 (banned)

said by PhonePower:

Due to customer demand, a couple features have been pushed higher on the priority list. It's on our roadmap for this year but no rollout date set. We're planning on testing this feature in our development environment next month.
What is the point has there ever been any outages? ViaTalk had one and it got used alot in my case, lol. But at times even the failover did not work, HA! The lack of fail over should be used in advertising. We have enough redundancy we don't need failover unlike some of our competitors!

Thanks for upping the 5k a month. It gives me assurance that I can yap for a long time and never have to worry about going over.

Can't wait till I can pick my old hold music. So I can put some music to confuse the hell out of people.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· p7TWxAGc

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by 44402812:
said by PhonePower:

What is the point has there ever been any outages? ViaTalk had one and it got used alot in my case, lol. But at times even the failover did not work, HA! The lack of fail over should be used in advertising. We have enough redundancy we don't need failover unlike some of our competitors!

Thanks for upping the 5k a month. It gives me assurance that I can yap for a long time and never have to worry about going over.

Can't wait till I can pick my old hold music. So I can put some music to confuse the hell out of people.

(youtube clip)
Interesting, as if it was used alot when you had Viatalk then most likely it was an ISP issue. If a provider goes down, failover doesn't kick in. If you lose power or your ISP is down, then failover comes into play.

This is something that was debated with Sunrocket. If there was an issue people would hear the number was not in service or another message like that which was a poor way of handling the call. It really is a key feature to have for a VoIP provider these days....
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

1 edit

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

said by 44402812:
said by PhonePower:

(youtube clip)
Interesting, as if it was used alot when you had Viatalk then most likely it was an ISP issue. If a provider goes down, failover doesn't kick in. If you lose power or your ISP is down, then failover comes into play.

This is something that was debated with Sunrocket. If there was an issue people would hear the number was not in service or another message like that which was a poor way of handling the call. It really is a key feature to have for a VoIP provider these days....
I disagree... when my calls were failing over I could use Skype and surf the internet just fine. You might want to check out these threads.

»/nsear ··· 85797143

»/nsear ··· dialtone

»/nsear ··· ng+calls

I had many of the problems others did in the ViaTalk forums. Many times I could not make an outgoing call and during those times calls would fail over to my cell. If their service was so great and flawless why are so many posting how crappy their service was? Yet in this forum all is quiet? Maybe it is because with PhonePower came the experience of an ISP and competent management and IT\IS admins?

We can plug it in like any other appliance and forget about it. No changing servers, no tweaks being applied to break service, no rude support personal, no hidden fee increases, disconnected service over a couple bucks, etc. JMHO

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

1 edit

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by 44402812:

I disagree... when my calls were failing over I could use Skype and surf the internet just fine. You might want to check out these threads.

»/nsear ··· 85797143

»/nsear ··· dialtone

»/nsear ··· ng+calls

I had many of the problems others did in the ViaTalk forums. Many times I could not make an outgoing call and during those times calls would fail over to my cell. If their service was so great and flawless why are so many posting how crappy their service was? Yet in this forum all is quiet? Maybe it is because with PhonePower came the experience of an ISP and competent management and IT\IS admins?

We can plug it in like any other appliance and forget about it. No changing servers, no tweaks being applied to break service, no rude support personal, no hidden fee increases, disconnected service over a couple bucks, etc. JMHO

You have mentioned with many providers you had QoS issues and mention jitter/latency on your verizon line, but yet it is always the VoIP providers fault. You mentioned it even with PP.

»Re: Pulled the trigger today

Looks like you should find a new ISP.

The links you sent not in regards to failover, which is what the topic is about. A failover numebr or network availability number is crucial.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

1 edit

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

said by 44402812:

»/nsear ··· 85797143

»/nsear ··· dialtone

»/nsear ··· ng+calls

You have mentioned with many providers you had QoS issues and mention jitter/latency on your verizon line, but yet it is always the VoIP providers fault. You mentioned it even with PP.

»Re: Pulled the trigger today

Looks like you should find a new ISP.

The links you sent not in regards to failover, which is what the topic is about. A failover numebr or network availability number is crucial.
Yeah we had about 20 calls, maybe less where the phone quality was poor. However, as I mentioned I just hung up and called again and everything was fine. Now it has been about a month and have not had any problems? That is a big difference from having all the problems that I mentioned in my earlier post and the the search strings mentioned above.

I agree with you it would be nice to have a failover number in case my ISP went down. That is not a problem for me though but for other people that might be an issue?

As I mentioned earlier how many posts do you see in this forum in regards to PhonePower network downtime or problems with PhonePower? Now head over to the ViaTalk forum and look at the thousands of posts regarding poor service!

Trying to put this as politely as possible but if ViaTalk had their act together like PhonePower does their forum would be as quiet as this one? I really do like all the features ViaTalk has but I'm not going to give up excellent CS, rock solid service, better sound quality, etc.

Not to mention ViaTalk's poor billing practices, cutting people off over a few bucks, short changing affiliates, etc. If the CEO can afford a Hummer, sports cars, etc. then he can afford to pay his bills.

I have nothing more to say about this matter. This is what I think and it is not worth my time to dwell on it. Thanks
bmize13
join:2006-04-17
Dallas, GA

bmize13 to Kinzoo

to Kinzoo
Bringing this back to the surface to see how testing is going. I just pulled the trigger to test the service... The Network Unavailable feature really is, as PT says, key.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by bmize13:

Bringing this back to the surface to see how testing is going. I just pulled the trigger to test the service... The Network Unavailable feature really is, as PT says, key.
Are you from ViaTalk? I have been with PhonePower for 6 month and I confirmed with Matt there has never been an outage except for a couple of planned ones in the middle of the night. Even those lasted 15 minutes at the most and may not even have affected any particular person.
JMHO if someone is paying 20.00 or less for service and the service has been rock solid "beggars can't be choosers"?

Sure it would be nice to be able to have incoming calls if you ISP craps out? If your ISP is that crappy though where you need it as a feature, maybe VoIp would not be the best alternative to POTS? However I would rather see PhonePower develop features to make my day to day life easier. JMHO

bmize13
Dallas, GA

bmize13

You ever seen the movie, "For Love Of The Game?" This feature is very much like a line from that movie... The star pitcher, Chapel, shows up late for a game. The Coach is a bit ticked, and gives him a hard time. Chapel asks the question, "In twenty years, have I ever missed a start? Have I ever not show up? Ever?"

The Coach replies, "That's true for everyone until it happens for the first time."

I get that they haven't had an outage for 6 months. That doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow. My ISP is solid, yes, but I'd also like the peace of mind of knowing that a disruption from even something like a car slamming into a pole and dropping my service wouldn't stop me from getting my calls... on my cell *or* the POTS line I keep due to a very sick child.

I'm just sayin'...
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by bmize13:

You ever seen the movie, "For Love Of The Game?" This feature is very much like a line from that movie... The star pitcher, Chapel, shows up late for a game. The Coach is a bit ticked, and gives him a hard time. Chapel asks the question, "In twenty years, have I ever missed a start? Have I ever not show up? Ever?"

The Coach replies, "That's true for everyone until it happens for the first time."

I get that they haven't had an outage for 6 months. That doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow. My ISP is solid, yes, but I'd also like the peace of mind of knowing that a disruption from even something like a car slamming into a pole and dropping my service wouldn't stop me from getting my calls... on my cell *or* the POTS line I keep due to a very sick child.

I'm just sayin'...
Well if you have a POTS line then why are you so concerned about fail over, especially if you have a cell? Everyone knows that PhonePower does not have fail over, if it is something you really needed maybe you should have went elsewhere for service.

It would be like buying a fully loaded car and knowing that you needed an important feature in the GPS. So you go ahead and buy it and hope that GM will release it in an update?

Everything they roll out is tested extensively and methodically. If they feel it could hurt the integrity
of our phone service it is either shelved until they get the bugs worked out and\or canned. Don't know about anyone else but I want to be able to "make and receive calls" and have caller ID, call Waiting, and voicemail work.
Anything else is just gravy JMHO
bmize13
Dallas, GA

1 edit

bmize13

I get your point re: just having it work. That has been one of my largest gripes with VT. Feature upon feature, but service up time seemed to suffer. So, yeah... I get it.

On the POTS line, I have it *only* for 911. I don't give the number out, as we enjoy the Do Not Disturb features available on most (all?) VOIP plans.

In the end, I'll continue to hope for emergency failover, and you'll continue to not see the need for it. You don't see a need, while I do. Who knows? Maybe you're right and PP, Comcast, or anywhere in between never goes south. My phone always works when my in-laws call for the wife. Birds chirp, and a beautiful rainbow adorns the sky at all turns. However, if I *do* need the failover, I'd just like it to be there... just in case.

Oh... And the in-laws thing? Yeah... Maybe failover isn't such a good thing.

ETA: Maybe Google Voice will implement Number Portability... Then, Failover isn't such a big thing.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by bmize13:

I get your point re: just having it work. That has been one of my largest gripes with VT. Feature upon feature, but service up time seemed to suffer. So, yeah... I get it.

On the POTS line, I have it *only* for 911. I don't give the number out, as we enjoy the Do Not Disturb features available on most (all?) VOIP plans.

In the end, I'll continue to hope for emergency failover, and you'll continue to not see the need for it. You don't see a need, while I do. Who knows? Maybe you're right and PP, Comcast, or anywhere in between never goes south. My phone always works when my in-laws call for the wife. Birds chirp, and a beautiful rainbow adorns the sky at all turns. However, if I *do* need the failover, I'd just like it to be there... just in case.

ETA: Maybe Google Voice will implement Number Portability... Then, Failover isn't such a big thing.
Awwee a ViaTalk defector Now you see why I have such a loose stance on fail over. When I was ViaTalk my service never worked half the time so I needed it. Then when service was down fail over was a crap shoot.

I do understand where you are coming from. Say my DSL is out for a few hours it would be nice to still receive calls from "some people". Your right Comcast, L3, some router in bum f#$k Egypt might take a crap before PhonePower releases fail over.

So here is how I look at it in my own little world of denial.
My service has been rock solid for 6 months. Whatever 2-3 outages might have happened at 12am for scheduled maintenance no one has noticed. I'm saving over 1,000 both in 2 years in both time&money.

If I look at the crap I was dealing with from ViaTalk and other crappy\incompetent providers until it becomes a problem I could care less. Just being able to pick up the phone and call someone without getting a fast busy is enlightening.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by 44402812:
said by bmize13:

Awwee a ViaTalk defector Now you see why I have such a loose stance on fail over. When I was ViaTalk my service never worked half the time so I needed it. Then when service was down fail over was a crap shoot.

I do understand where you are coming from. Say my DSL is out for a few hours it would be nice to still receive calls from "some people". Your right Comcast, L3, some router in bum f#$k Egypt might take a crap before PhonePower releases fail over.

My service has been rock solid for 6 months. Whatever 2-3 outages might have happened at 12am for scheduled maintenance no one has noticed. I'm saving over 1,000 both in 2 years in both time&money.

If I look at the crap I was dealing with from ViaTalk and other crappy\incompetent providers until it becomes a problem I could care less. Just being able to pick up the phone and call someone without getting a fast busy is enlightening.
This post makes no sense as if it was truly VT that was down emergency failover would not kick in anyways. Failover is when the connection in between your VoIP provider and your ATA is gone.

It is something that any major VoIP provider no matter who they are should have if they are truly a replacement for POTS.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

1 edit

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

said by 44402812:
said by bmize13:

This post makes no sense as if it was truly VT that was down emergency failover would not kick in anyways. Failover is when the connection in between your VoIP provider and your ATA is gone.

It is something that any major VoIP provider no matter who they are should have if they are truly a replacement for POTS.
»Failover / Network Down Rings?

»(split) VT down?

»Any interest in a rock solid, reliable phone service?

First no VoIp company is a replacement for POTS aka lifeline type situation. Second, ViaTalk has fail over and I do consider them a replacement for POTS if you don't like getting phone calls? Seems more then a few people agree with me.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

One of those links is about a delay in failover, the other two have nothing to do with failover at all, and not a single one addresses the supposed issues you had which is not a failover issue.

Again, failover does not work if the VoIP provider is down
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

One of those links is about a delay in failover, the other two have nothing to do with failover at all, and not a single one addresses the supposed issues you had which is not a failover issue.

Again, failover does not work if the VoIP provider is down
True enough but if the provider is flakey like when I got fast busys sometimes the failover would work and sometimes it would not?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

When the failover did not work would have been a VT issue, when it would work then the connection in between such has latency knocking it offline, power outage, ISP outage etc.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

Okay, thanks How is VoIpo working for you? Are they out of beta and taking new orders?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

It's ok, nothing to write home about. Once this current deal ends I will most likely move on.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

It's ok, nothing to write home about. Once this current deal ends I will most likely move on.
I'll say it once if the features of ViaTalk could be merged with the reliable service and support of PhonePower, Voicepulse, or VoIPo that would be awesome!

fearlessfosdick
join:2001-08-22
Stamford, CT

fearlessfosdick

OP hears beeps and call drops.

Hi,

I'm new to PP. Still waiting for my # to be ported from ViaTalk.

Anyway, my wife is complaining that sometimes when she makes a call the other party hears 3 beeps and the connection goes dead.

My first reaction was that the OP's battery died. But when my wife re-dials, it goes through and she can talk to the OP. Plus, this happens with two different other parties.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

FF

PhonePwrTech

PhonePwrTech

Re: OP hears beeps and call drops.

Hello,

Please make sure your Grandstream adapter is plugged directly into a wall outlet, and see if the issues persist. If you still continue to have issues, please contact support so that we can further troubleshoot with you on the issue.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by PhonePwrTech:

Hello,

Please make sure your Grandstream adapter is plugged directly into a wall outlet, and see if the issues persist. If you still continue to have issues, please contact support so that we can further troubleshoot with you on the issue.
I am interested as to what difference that would make.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

said by PhonePwrTech:

Hello,

I am interested as to what difference that would make.
I talked to PhonePower about about choppy calls we were getting which cleared up on its own. Matt (head CS rep) explained to me the reason for this is because the HT-502 is very sensitive to electrical noise. Which was confirmed with the manufacturer that in many cases can drop calls if the device is shared with an UPS\power strip. I imagine it would be susceptible only if other devices that produce alot of EMF are plugged in?

Kinzoo
Buffalo, NY

Kinzoo to ptrowski

to ptrowski
ptrowski,

It has something to do with surge protectors.
I had that drop call problem months ago, Tech support told me to unplug my ATA from my surge protector and plug it directly into a wall socket.
Must be that the ATA's are very sensitive about there power source.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Interesting. I always have my ATA's plugged into a powerstrip for protection and never had that issue.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

1 edit

44402812 (banned)

said by ptrowski:

Interesting. I always have my ATA's plugged into a powerstrip for protection and never had that issue.
Neither have I but then again I have good wiring and top of the line UPSs? Kinzoo how old are your powerstips?

Kinzoo
Buffalo, NY

Kinzoo

I'm not talking about power-strips!!
Surge protectors!!!
Anyhow, it was a tip from PP tech support, and it solved the problem.
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

said by Kinzoo:

I'm not talking about power-strips!!
Surge protectors!!!
Anyhow, it was a tip from PP tech support, and it solved the problem.
Same difference they both can cause problems
chemie
join:2005-01-01
Midland, MI

chemie

Ports to Forward

I have DIR-655 and want the HT-502 behind the router (I do not like idea of double NAT).
I would like to avoid DMZ.

Want ports do I need to forward?

PS> Yes, I have SIP and SPI turned off.

•••••
teran54
join:2002-06-05
Chicago, IL

teran54

Busy signal

After the person I'm speaking to hangs up, I hear a busy signal. This is not a big deal I'm just curious. So far I am very happy with this service.

•••
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

2 edits

44402812 (banned)

Update caused HT-502 to go down

Just wanted to let everyone know and this has happened on more then one occasion. PP pushed an update to my HT-502 sometime last night and it caused an outage of my phone service and internet. Did anyone have any similar problems?

•••••••••••••••••••••

1 edit

44402812 (banned)

PhonePower tag in forum

What is that black movemement supposed to represent? Kind of looks like someone mooning someone or a tent?

•••••

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Send voicemail to multiple recipients?

With CallVantage, I could specify multiple recipients to receive voicemails. It looks like I can currently only specify one HTML and one plaintext recipient, is that correct? Or do you "secretly" support delimiting email addresses with a comma?

Speaking of voicemails as emails, it would also be nice if I could specify a "voicemail automatically expires after x days". When receiving voicemail in email, I don't really need to check voicemail by phone or on the site, so it's easy to forget to "clean out" the voice mailbox. Every couple months I'd just stop receiving CallVantage voicemails because the box got full. It'd be nice if I could just tell your service to expire the messages so I didn't have to do that manually. Just a thought!

•••••••••••
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

1 edit

44402812 (banned)

HT-502 night rider voicemail light?

My lights are flashing differently now? Is this happening to anyone else? Thanks

»www.youtube.com/thephonepower

44402812 (banned)

New Feature Requests

-Softphone support

-Call screening like GrandCentral. Pick up the phone you can:
A. Talk to the person
B. Record the call
C. Send to voicemail with the option to listen in
D. Reject the caller

-Call Broadcast

-Dial into home voicemail to make LD calls

-DID(s) to check voicemail remotely

-The ability to have multiple voice mailboxes in the Cpanel with separate email addresses to voicemail attachments.

••••

Aveamantium
join:2006-10-02
Loveland, CO

Aveamantium

Add this Board to the VOIP Forum

Is there a way to add this forum to the VOIP forums list??

Thanks!

•••••••••••••••••••
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

Weird wooshing air making outgoing calls

VN 00001.mp3
172,992 bytes
Air from HT-502
Sometimes, very rarely I get an airy sound when attempting to make an outgoing call instead of a dial tone. It is very rare and is not even a concern because I just hit TALK to hang up, hit it again and get a dial tone. Was just curious if this had happened to anyone else using the HT-502. My Grandstream is plugged directly into the wall outlet. Thanks

44402812 (banned)

Re: Weird wooshing air making outgoing calls

said by 44402812:

Sometimes, very rarely I get an airy sound when attempting to make an outgoing call instead of a dial tone. It is very rare and is not even a concern because I just hit TALK to hang up, hit it again and get a dial tone. Was just curious if this had happened to anyone else using the HT-502. My Grandstream is plugged directly into the wall outlet. Thanks
I lowered the codec to the lower default one and that seemed to resolve the issue?

44402812 (banned)

Was anybody from PhonePower Moshing?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MTqGKlyc

LA is the new wild west!

44402812 (banned)

Softphone in a few months

Word on the street has it that there should be a beta softphone our int a few months for testing. Anyone else here game to beta test a softphone?

•••••••••

JPower
@comcast.net

JPower

Anon

Will Linksys PAP2 work with Phone Power?

Hi All,

On the Phone Power website, it says that Linksys PAP2T will work but nothing about the earlier PAP2 version.
Anybody out there that knows?

I'm an existing CallVantage customer and now planning to choose Phone Power but didn't want to spend another $15 for their Grandstream (leased) S&H fee.
Plus, I have this Linksys PAP2 sitting in the shrink wrap unopened so wanted to use that instead.

Thanks,
JP

••••••••••••••••
nycityny
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

Why is this board not with VOIP Tech Chat?

Why is PhonePower's discussion thread not part of "VOIP Tech Chat?" It shows up under the VOIP GBU ratings. I would think the company would have more exposure to potential new customers if this thread were there.

•••
mxnerd
Premium Member
join:2005-03-21
Walnut, CA

mxnerd

Premium Member

www.voip-rebates.net $30 rebate is invalid!

Just chatted with PP's cust rep and was told any rebates on other websites are invalid. PP willl not honor it.

be aware.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

(topic offline) Prepaid Long Distance phone cards

Moderator Action
This entire topic was removed, either temporarily, or permanently.

stated reason was: Likely spam
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

PhonePower - Financials, 1-Man Shop?

Anybody know what size company PhonePower is, and/or its financial condition?

One reason I hesitate to try Future9 is that it's clearly a one-man operation.

I get the impression that PhonePower is larger, but there's no evidence of it.

Does anyone know?

-- B

•••
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned)

Call Waiting Question

Is there anyway to make it so that when a phone is plugged into the cloned lined I will still receive a call waiting beep when on the phone. When one person is home it is a little easier to push flash instead of grabbing the other phone. Thanks

••••••
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 18 · 19 · 20 · next