dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
North State Communications - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
No recent reviews

have your review appear here
page: 1 · 2 · next

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

Lightstar Price Lowered!

My bill recently went down from $89.99/month to $74.95/month for the 15Mbps Lightstar tier. Nice!

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa

Slow DSL--using wireless Netopia router....was fine on ether

We just bought a house and had Northstate come and hook up our internet. They installed a wireless router and the download speeds are averaging 88kbps?? Before, at the old house with a wired router I was getting 348kbps. When I do the speed test here it shows 650kbps on average. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 AMD 5600, 4GB ram...etc. I have an ASUS motherboard and am using the Wi-Fi on their board...any thoughts?? Thanks..
John

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: Slow DSL--using wireless Netopia router....was fine on ether

Bad wireless router would be my guess. Call up their tech support and tell them.

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
Well, now it is hooked up via LAN cable...same results...slow downloads and good speeds via dsl reports speed tests... anything?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by jnaarnold :

Well, now it is hooked up via LAN cable...same results...slow downloads and good speeds via dsl reports speed tests... anything?
What exactly do you mean by "slow speeds?"

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
well, when I download from my 'usual' newsgroup... speeds are at max 88kbps.Also, when downloading files, like programs drivers or updates, max speed is 88kbps...give or take a few kb...but no more than 88....

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

But your speed tests show 640Kbps?

I'd contact your newsgroup provider. Is it North State or a third party?

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
Well, I don't think it is entirely the newsgroup.....you see if I go to download.com and try and download a file there...same thing... is there a different protocol for downloading via the web...verses say a the way dsl reports does??

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by jnaarnold :

Well, I don't think it is entirely the newsgroup.....you see if I go to download.com and try and download a file there...same thing... is there a different protocol for downloading via the web...verses say a the way dsl reports does??
Are you using the DSLReports flash or Java based speed test?

Download.com is slow as dirt. Download this file »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test512 and note the speed at the 50% mark, then download iTunes from »www.itunes.com/ and note the speed.

If you get good speeds from both of those, it the newsgroup server you're using.

jnaarnold

@northstate.net
still slow speeds at both locations...thanks....I will call them tomorrow...do you think it could be in my line? Also, what pair are used for DSL?? Red/Green? Thanks for all your help Matt

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by jnaarnold :

still slow speeds at both locations...thanks....I will call them tomorrow...do you think it could be in my line? Also, what pair are used for DSL?? Red/Green? Thanks for all your help Matt
I'm not actually sure as I am in a community they serve with their Lightstar Fiber Optic service.

Please post back here and let me know the results.

jnaarnold

@northstate.net
Called tech last night, everything is ok on their end....I must have something weird here either software or hardware....any suggestions?
John

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by jnaarnold :

Called tech last night, everything is ok on their end....I must have something weird here either software or hardware....any suggestions?
John
Have you run a Spyware/Adware/Trojan check? Simply scanning with anti-virus won't work.

»Security Cleanup

Go to that forum and ask them to help you get scanned to see if you have any malware that is slowing you down. You may be spewing out spam!

Brutarius

@northstate.net
I had the same problem after I was switched to wireless Netopia modem.

I called tech support and they had me to do the flash report on dslreports, it came back with 680Kbps -- but when I downloaded files (from my Northstate Web space, no less) it was 88Kbps, not acceptable.

They referred it to some techs and I got a phone call two hours later. Now I'm running at more acceptable download speed, but still nowhere near the numbers that dslreports is giving me.

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
That is exactly what is happening here.... I really need some help...it is driving me nuts....it was not like this before I moved. I have just the dsl modem hooked up now, no wireless router. hmmm, what gives? Anyone no where else I could post this? Thanks again... Oh, and I tried all the security cleanup...I feel I am clean now...
John

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
What does the Java speed test show?
Expand your moderator at work

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
655 down, 405 up... very consistent with all my speed tests.... I'm leaning towards some Vista configuration or something....

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
just ran one Matt...655kbps download/405kbps upload....
jnaarnold

join:2008-07-12
Trinity, NC
Heres my line test.....man this is getting frustrating...!!
»/linequality/nil/2406136

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
That is very odd. Your line quality test doesn't look right at all.

Have you installed SP1 for Vista?
jnaarnold

join:2008-07-12
Trinity, NC
yes, installed it last night...at 1:00 am.....

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Ok, to summarize:

1) North State says everything is fine?
2) You get poor download speeds from your newsgroups and the iTunes/FTP links I posted?
3) The speed tests here report about 600Kbps?

Is that correct? What speed package did you purchase?
DVDdude

join:2003-06-15
Greensboro, NC

Questions about Light Star

I am in a Light Star neighborhood in High Point, NC. I have a few questions for anyone who has Light Star.

1. Are there any download caps? (I usually download around 100 GB per month).

2. Do they provide any Usenet newsgroups?

3. Do they provide email accounts?

4. Are their rated speeds reliable?

I am currently using Roadrunner, but I am fed up with the constant outages. I would like to switch to Light Star because of the higher speeds.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: Questions about Light Star

said by DVDdude:

I am in a Light Star neighborhood in High Point, NC. I have a few questions for anyone who has Light Star.

1. Are there any download caps? (I usually download around 100 GB per month).

2. Do they provide any Usenet newsgroups?

3. Do they provide email accounts?

4. Are their rated speeds reliable?

I am currently using Roadrunner, but I am fed up with the constant outages. I would like to switch to Light Star because of the higher speeds.
1) Not that I have seen. 100GB should be no problem.

2) No

3) Yes, you get a northstate.net email address. I have never used them though.

4) Yes. However, my 15Mbps/2Mbps service is really about 12.8Mbps/1.7Mbps. I was told during the install that you lose TCP/IP overhead as they cap your rate right at the speed you purchase, rather than slightly over to account for the protocol overhead. I NEVER experience slowdowns and they don't throttle any protocols at all.

I have had Lightstar for a few years now and I had RoadRunner in Greensboro for 5+ years before that. Lightstar is a better service and if you're having reliability problems, you'll love Lightstar.
DVDdude

Greensboro, NC

1 edit

Thank you so much!

I have tried to get more information about Lightstar from NSC but their CSRs are not very knowledgeable about it.

I have been fighting roadrunner for months now. The service in the Jamestown/High Point area drops down to 1mbps on weekends. This is unacceptable.

I really hope they do provide newsgroup access with Lightstar. Time Warner removed their free newsgroup access months ago.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

said by DVDdude:

Thank you so much!

I have tried to get more information about Lightstar from NSC but their CSRs are not very knowledgeable about it.
You are absolutely right. Which package are you going with? Make 100% sure before the installer leaves your upstream is provisioned right. They were trying to tell me my 15Mbps package only had 1Mbps upstream. I had to provide the name of the rep I talked to to prove it was in fact 2Mbps upstream because they had no idea. The 30Mbps package has a 5Mbps upstream rate, 15Mbps has 2Mbps, the 9Mbps/6Mbps have 1Mbps upstream. I think the others have 512Kbps and 256Kbps, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Where are you in Jamestown? I'm off Mackay Road in Bordeaux.

EDIT:

Here are some photos I took a year or two ago of their install: »[Fiber Pics] North State Communications Lightstar Pics
DVDdude

Greensboro, NC

Thanks for the upload tip. I will definitely make sure things are right before the installer leaves. My roadrunner issues are most likely with the node in my area being oversold. I don't expect Time Warner to ever fix it. They don't care.

I'm in the Deep River area of HP. The NSC website lists the following prices/speeds. I assume these are bundle prices (I already have north state phone service).

Prices as low as:
• 768 kbps......$14.95/mo
• 3 Mbps.........$29.95/mo
• 6 Mbps.........$34.95/mo
• 9 Mbps.........$49.95/mo
• 15 Mbps ......$59.95/mo
• 30 Mbps.......$159.95/mo
Promotional pricing for 12 months, some restrictions apply.

I was thinking about the 15mbps package. That is about the same price as what am I paying for Roadrunner Turbo.

I assume they have to install an ethernet wall jack as well as the box on the outside of the house (I saw your installation pics).

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by DVDdude:

I assume they have to install an ethernet wall jack as well as the box on the outside of the house (I saw your installation pics).
I pay $69.95 with no other NS services. I think you'll probably pay $5 less. I had NS phone for a while (alarm system) and I believe it was a $5 discount.

They will (for free) install everything on the outside of your house and wire one internal jack for phone/internet. And yep, it's just a standard CAT-5e jack.
DVDdude

Greensboro, NC

1 edit

1 recommendation

Time Warner is coming out this weekend to look at my node. I'm pretty sure it is being oversold/overloaded. If they aren't going to fix the problem, then I'll be setting up a LightStar installation appointment ASAP.

Thanks for all the info. I'll keep this thread updated.
SECCARD

join:2001-12-11
High Point, NC
They give access to newsgroups at least I have access, I believe that they use giganews

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by SECCARD:

They give access to newsgroups at least I have access, I believe that they use giganews
I didn't know that! Where did you get access? Did you have to call support?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

North State Plex IPTV

North State is now offering a new integrated service called Plex. This is very similar to AT&T's U-Verse service, only it offers higher speeds. They are offering IPTV (80HD channels with DVR), phone, and up to 20Mbps internet. They are utilize Cisco set-top boxes are the service.

I have inquired about Lightstar customers as the website mentions the service is delivered over DSL and Lightstar customers will in fact be some of the first to receive service. All existing Lightstar customers are being moved to the Plex internet service and can now sign up for Plex 20Mbps internet service for $55 a month. I have another inquiry asking if they offer any higher upstream speeds since their website only mentions 768Kbps upstream for all the Plex internet packages.

More info here: »www.northstate.net/productlandin···pageid=1

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fish

@poloralphlauren.com

Lightstar no longer advertised?

I'm in the process of buying a home in High Point across from Oak Hollow Dam on 68. I've emailed Northstate about what they offer and they told me the usual PLEX services they offer now, except no TV as that is now only available towards the beginning of High Point on Hwy 68 in a new development. So it seems I'm without fiber and when I ask when they'll move forward with existing communities, I get the whole "I don't know" BS.

I'm willing to do PLEX Internet as i'm doing Road Runner Turbo currently and don't want to have to deal with the caps in the future which I know will eventually get forced back. The thing is, on the website, lightstar is no longer listed... ANYWHERE. It's as if it doesn't exist and the only option is the Plex DSL.

I figured i'd check and see if anybody knew anything.

•••••••

Fish

@rr.com

1 recommendation

Plex update

So I'm emailing back and forth with Traci Clifton in the sales department and I asked her about IPTV and the high end 20/768 internet where i'm moving to across from Oak Hollow Dam, and NEITHER are available there now, but she gave me a timeline of hopefully September they both would be, so at least there's hope of them getting this stuff expanded out now instead of taking it slow like I thought they might.

I'm taking a wild guess here, but it seems in neighborhoods that don't have the ADSL+ capability, when they run fiber they're also getting the DSL upgrades put in as well instead of doing them seperately. It just seems some neighborhoods already have the higher capacity because they've already been rolling that out... although I think that's now been changed to coincide with fiber rollout.

Anyways, latest update I've gotten if anybody is interested...

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: Plex update

I'm in a fiber neighborhood and I was told I could immediately upgrade to the 20/768 speed. Us fiber folks can get all the way up to 30/5 though, so 20/768 is a bit of a downgrade.
wgc749

join:2009-08-22
Thomasville, NC
Up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, PLEX products were not available in my neighborhood.Then,suddenly,PLEX was available.There was a CONGRATULATORY brochure left in my mailbox.You may have gotten one,too.Mind you,I have been living in this neighborhood for 11 years and have only seen the occasional service van from North State Communications;and over the past month the trucks have been in-and-out replacing 2 poles on my street and other poles throughout the neighborhood,but no lines have been changed.Apparently,what little I know about DSL,they are making changes at the Central Office,and just rolling these PLEX products out AS FAST AS THEY CAN on their existing copper network,guaranteeing UP TO 20 Mbps speeds.Read into this,don't expect them to change any lines,unless you live in a fiber neighborhood or as new areas are built,they will get fiber.There is no mention of upload speed,probably because the average person doesn't have much concern with that.

The tool at Northstate's website for checking availability of PLEX is inaccurate.Go to the Phone company salespeople for that information,whether you got a brochure or not.However,when I asked the salesperson questions about quality of service (i.e. is the picture jumpy or smooth), and service delivery,she was absolutely no help.Go figure.

For anyone reading this that wants to learn more about DSL,Wikipedia (even though it can sometimes be misleading) has good basic explanations of the different types of DSL;and don't discount this site either.
wgc749

join:2009-08-22
Thomasville, NC

PLEX Set Top Box Specs

If anyone is interested,sales sheets are available on the Cisco Set Top Boxes used for PLEX IPTV.Just use the model numbers IPN330HD or IPN430MC in your favorite search engine,and the results should come up,probably in the top three.If it doesn't work,use Google,that's what worked for me.I also found a couple of installation manuals,too.These are the Scientific Atlanta model numbers,which Cisco bought out.The tech sheets are not available,but these sales sheets have a lot of technical specs on them that will assist everyone in understanding the capabilities of these Set Top Boxes and North State's IPTV Network.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: PLEX Set Top Box Specs

Click for full size
downloadGUdTV_IPN430···nual.pdf 1,103,128 bytes
CIS430
Click for full size
downloadGUdTV_IPN330···nual.pdf 1,079,857 bytes
CIS330
I've attached the two manuals. The 430 manual looks exactly like the paper manual I received. Thanks for the tip!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

North State Wireless (AT&T)

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to post a bit of info I found out. I am currently an AT&T wireless customer and North State informed me I can transfer my service over to them and immediately get a 15% discount ... and it requires no contract extensions or anything. They also offer plans with more minutes at the same price point as AT&T, for example they offer an 800 minute family plan that includes 200 text messages for $69.99/month. That's the same price as the AT&T 700 minute plan with no text messages.

So, if you're an AT&T wireless subscriber, give North State a call and transfer your service.

Voltage

@rr.com

Plex

Does anyone know when the 20mbps Plex service will be around in high point on hartley rd near Oak Hollow? The ppl at northstate have given me several differant answers....
blargoe

join:2009-10-29

PLEX in Thomasville?

OK, reading some of the posts on this board, now I understand neither the web site nor the reps the monitor email inquiries nor the reps on the phone should be trusted for accurate information. Anyone in Thomasville getting PLEX yet, or have an idea of when it might be coming? I am in the Fair Grove area. Thanks.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

New Plex Speeds

For those of you with Fiber, Plex now offers symmetrical 10Mbps, 20Mbps, and 30Mbps for $45, $55, and $75 respectively.

I upgraded from my old Lightstar 15Mbps/2Mbps plan to the 20Mbps plan and saved $15 bucks a month! I'm just waiting on the new profile to hit my ONT.

»www.northstate.net/productpage.p···pageid=2

•••••
madpad

join:2010-08-15

Update on Fiber RollOut?

I live off dillion RD in High Point. I was told fiber is here. but I still have 20/768 internet service. I need some more upload!!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: Update on Fiber RollOut?

said by madpad:

I live off dillion RD in High Point. I was told fiber is here. but I still have 20/768 internet service. I need some more upload!!
I'm not sure they are rolling it to anything but greenfield developments. In other words, new construction. Have you tried to call and ask? If you request that you speak to an engineer, they'll usually let you. Just be polite and tell them you have a very technical question.

FYI, Northstate is running ADSL2+ which allows for 24Mbps/1.4Mbps per pair. So if they choose to, they could use two pair and deliver 48Mbps/2.8Mbps. I was told by an engineer they are limiting upstream speeds because of the IPTV product. I don't understand enough about ADSL2+ for it to make sense that limiting upstream would help IPTV (downstream delivery), but I'm not a telco engineer.
stonecaster

join:2010-10-17

Modem Reboot

Hey all, I have been with Northstate Plex 20meg service for a few months, I came from RR 10meg turbo service. My question is that I am a huge newsgroup user and subscribe to a newsgroup service. I use Newsrover as my news reader. My newsgroup service allows me 30 connections to their servers which was no problem with Road Runner. However anymore than 2 or 3 with Northstate causes the modem to reboot. It will download for a couple minutes, then the modem reboots, restarts and the process starts all over. Does anyone have any ideas that can help? This is driving me crazy and is enough to drive me back to Time Warners slower RR service. I have a Zhone modem provided by Northstate. I have tried wireless with modem, wireless with a router and direct lan connection to a router and to a modem. Each connection does the same thing.
Thanks.

••••
rfxcasey

join:2010-10-24
Thomasville, NC

Port Blocking???

Does Northstate Communication block any ports? I was talking with a rep on the phone a while ago and he assured me they do not block any ports nor restrict hosting a server in any way but for the life of me I can't get ports open besides the basics like 80 or 21.

wnichols85

@twtelecom.net

Re: Port Blocking???

Not that I am aware of. I currently have DSL.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
said by rfxcasey:

Does Northstate Communication block any ports? I was talking with a rep on the phone a while ago and he assured me they do not block any ports nor restrict hosting a server in any way but for the life of me I can't get ports open besides the basics like 80 or 21.
Nope, I do quite a bit of weird stuff and I've never encountered a port block.

What ports are you trying to open?

Chrisgbo

@mycingular.net

Plex in Pilot Ridge?

I live in Pilot Ridge which is basically connected to Adams Farm (separated by Pilot Elementary). Does anyone know if Plex is available here? I called and the lady said no but from what I have read, they can be wrong.
brian4b

join:2010-12-03
High Point, NC

Dlink dcs-920 remote viewing problems

Alright everyone, been dealing with the problem for well over 1 month. I have sent the camera back and got a new one and upgraded my wireless router to a duel band DIR-825 and still have a problem viewing my camera remotely though my WAN IP (Northstate, PLEX, Fiber) from the opened port 80. It will work for a few hours then just stop. I have some suspensions the DHCP was mucking up the static IP becuase the router initially picked up the camera via DHCP during the initial setup. Here is what I have.

UpNp: off on the camera
Static IP address set on the camera with port 80 open on the router
I've noticed that Northstate does send ip updates but my address always stays the same. Maybe when the ip updates comes through it knocks the camera off the network and it doesn't reconnect?

Nick1989

@northstate.net

Looking to get cable installed help.

I wanna get cable out here for Internet & tv. Stuck with dsl & satellite. How can I get in contact with someone to help get it installed. Or what are my options here. thanks

Nick

Nick1989

@northstate.net

Re: Looking to get cable installed help.

I'm on Wilbrook DR in Thomasville

T254

join:2011-07-30
Jamestown, NC

Worst. DVR. Ever.

They just finished putting PLEX in our neighborhood about a month ago...was waiting for my DISH contract to expire before installing. Got the internet/TV $75 bundle.

Pros: Loving the 30/30 internet. I also didn't realize that they ran Cat5 right into the house; my parents who have Verizon FIOS still have coax and I think a cable-modem-esque device. Nice to have one fewer point of failure.

Lots of HD channels and the picture is amazing. I can really tell the difference as compared to the Dish HD.

Cons: Apparently the purchase by Cisco and the elapsed 10 years has not improved the firmware programming capability of the Scientific Atlanta crew. The hardware is great - much smaller, runs MUCH cooler than the TWC or Dish boxes. I've crashed the box twice already. Navigating the guide or any menu is painfully slow. The options for series recording are extremely limited - you get EVERY SINGLE episode, repeated or not. Eventually I figured out that the first crash resulted in the box recording USA HD for 24 hours straight (not necessarily a bad thing, but filled up the HDD to 95%)

When I originally signed up they indicated that a firmware upgrade was tentatively plotted for end of August, which would provide multiroom/multiple simultaneous recordings/and better options (from what I've seen online).

Anyone have any further info or tips for making this box marginally more usable?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: Worst. DVR. Ever.

said by T254:

They just finished putting PLEX in our neighborhood about a month ago...was waiting for my DISH contract to expire before installing. Got the internet/TV $75 bundle.

Pros: Loving the 30/30 internet. I also didn't realize that they ran Cat5 right into the house; my parents who have Verizon FIOS still have coax and I think a cable-modem-esque device. Nice to have one fewer point of failure.

Lots of HD channels and the picture is amazing. I can really tell the difference as compared to the Dish HD.

Cons: Apparently the purchase by Cisco and the elapsed 10 years has not improved the firmware programming capability of the Scientific Atlanta crew. The hardware is great - much smaller, runs MUCH cooler than the TWC or Dish boxes. I've crashed the box twice already. Navigating the guide or any menu is painfully slow. The options for series recording are extremely limited - you get EVERY SINGLE episode, repeated or not. Eventually I figured out that the first crash resulted in the box recording USA HD for 24 hours straight (not necessarily a bad thing, but filled up the HDD to 95%)

When I originally signed up they indicated that a firmware upgrade was tentatively plotted for end of August, which would provide multiroom/multiple simultaneous recordings/and better options (from what I've seen online).

Anyone have any further info or tips for making this box marginally more usable?

After close to 2 years of promises, I gave up and switched to DirecTV. Cheaper, better quality, and their DVR service is light years ahead.

The 30/30 internet is nice though.
brian4b

join:2010-12-03
High Point, NC

Plex 100 just turned off my HD chanels?!

Just turned on my Plex TV and discovered ALL hd channels from 700-780 had been turned off. I called their customer support and they said your package get "up to" 61 HD channels, now I get just a handful. They mentioned they are auditioning the channel list. So I just received a $8 rate increase and now they are taking away channels? What's wrong with this picture? Is this happening to anyone else?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

Re: Plex 100 just turned off my HD chanels?!

said by brian4b:

Just turned on my Plex TV and discovered ALL hd channels from 700-780 had been turned off. I called their customer support and they said your package get "up to" 61 HD channels, now I get just a handful. They mentioned they are auditioning the channel list. So I just received a $8 rate increase and now they are taking away channels? What's wrong with this picture? Is this happening to anyone else?

So you don't get any of the local HD channels like Fox 8, WFMY, etc?
Alderweis

join:2012-02-13
Kernersville, NC

PLEX in Kernersville

I live in KVegas, off of HWY66 (halfway between 311 and 40). About 4 weeks ago, my private road (dirt) was blocked entirely by an unmarked utility truck who was hanging a massive spool off the pole. I hoped against hope, but also forgot about it the next day. I called Northstate yesterday, and am getting their 30/30 29.99$ for 6 months deal installed on friday! hurray for fiber!

•••