dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
voip.ms - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

Snake Doctor

join:2008-07-22

1 edit

voip.ms

Ok,i signed up with them and had a hiccup activating my account but so far everything is fine and voice quality is great
Hope they keep up the good work

I'm only able to receive calls but cannot make outgoing calls

bagoshells

@adsl.alicedsl.de

voip.ms direct dial to another account?

said by gsar :

Yes, assuming you're using an ATA or softphone that allows it, you should be able to dial (either directly on a softphone, via a speeddial setting in your ATA, or a dialplan entry) a SIP URI that looks like NNNNNNX@sip.us1.voip.ms where NNNNNNX is your 6-digit account number at voip.ms followed by the subaccount extension number.

For example, if you have a Linksys/Sipura ATA, the following dialplan will let you call the subaccount 9 of account 123456 at voip.ms by just dialling #1 on the phone keypad.

(<#1:1234569@sip.us1.voip.ms>S0|...your existing dialplan...)  

Thanks, that worked, sort of. I am seeing occasional problems with voip.ms where one or the other end hears nothing. When I use that dial plan to call my voip.ms sub account from callcentric, the voip.ms phone rings, but neither end hears anything.

If I use the callcentric quick dial to dial 1234569@sip.us1.voip.ms, both ends hear each other.

So while I like the voip.ms flexibility, I'm still leery about their quality.
Guiness

join:2009-01-20

* features

Would be nice to have a list of * features that voip.ms supports - anyone have some insight?

I'm trying to use CID block, normally *67, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Yippz
Premium
join:2005-05-04
Fort Walton Beach, FL

Re: * features

Martin from Voip.ms said that *72 and *72 call forwarding is coming...

Their news listing also shows IVR coming soon...

All being worked on I assume
hockeynomad

join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON
Martin also informed that in October features like callerID block and anonymous call blocking were to come.

But the features that did come failover, ring groups and menus, I believe the majority of voip.ms clientele are businesses.

The callerID block will come none to soon, those bothersome telemarketers.
Guiness

join:2009-01-20

External SIP URIs

said by MartinM:

It will be per main account and sub account.

Main account is always 6 digits. If your account is 100000, the URI would be 100000@sip.us1.voip.ms.

What will be important is using the right server in the URI. If your device is registered with sip.us2.voip.ms, 100000@sip.us2.voip.ms would work, 100000@sip.us1.voip.ms would not.

For subaccounts, it's always Your main account, underscore and an alphanumeric name. In this example, we'll assume the subaccount is 100000_martin.

SIP URI would be 100000_martin@sip.us1.voip.ms

For internal communications, we already allow subaccounts to call each others by the use of internal extension.

For example, you can creat extension 1. Extensions are prefixed with 10, so you would dial 101 to reach that subaccount. It doesn't matter if another customer has 101 has well, we use account code on dialing to not mix extensions.
Are you still around MM?

I can't get the SIP URI for my main account to function - and have been told by support that I need a virtual DID for this. A sub-account, however, does have an external sip uri?

cross posted to voip tech chat forum

mikeSsS

@shawcable.net

Dial out using a Sub Account to organize billing

Is it possible for my roommates to dial a prefix before all of their outgoing calls so voip.ms will bill it to their sub account and not the main account?
priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

3 edits

Re: Dial out using a Sub Account to organize billing

If you want to use a single phone, you could use an ATA that supports multiple registrations. For example: The SPA1001 allows you to have two registrations, one would be the main account, the other the roommate sub-account. To use the sub-account instead of the main account, you would press "#" then dial.

Another alternative would be a 2 phone solution. A Linksys PAP2T, for example, has 2 independent lines. Use one line for your account, the other line for the roommate sub-account.
tyrodome
Premium
join:2004-02-18
USA

"Global DID outage" at VOIP.MS

As of 1845hrs EDT on May 20, 2010, the VOIP.MS website has this sentence at the top:

"XO communications is currently experiencing difficulty causing a global DID outage for some users."

I'm one of the users affected. VOIP.MS tech support (only available via chat) is offline, which I think is inexcusable, given the crisis that some of their users are in.

What could cause a "global DID outage"?

Shouldn't redundancy make such an outage nearly impossible?

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

Re: "Global DID outage" at VOIP.MS

Must have been lucky, because this did not affect me.
AMzen

join:2010-10-18
Mississauga, ON

Incoming caller ID number are wrong

Hello,
I am not technicly inclined, just regular user of different VOIP services. What bother me with VOIP.ms is that I got incoming caller ID number all wrong.

I have decided to keep my cell phone number and transferred it to VOIP.ms. I got two more cell phones one for US, one for Canada, few phone numbers I use for business, they are with three VOIP providers with different features and pricing. Yet, I want to be reached by my old number, so I opened account with VOIP.ms and now I transfer all calls to one of my phones.
Everything is good except one detail. I am getting caller ID on incoming calls completely wrong. No right numbers. So frustrating!
My intention was to use this set up for business as well. Now I am thinking of shopping around for something more predictable and reliable.

Anyone has had such a problem?

VOIP.ms does not deny the existence of problem, yet they did not fix it since my first call about it in March 2010. They simply do not know what is going on, I guess.

Open ticket, close ticket. Try this, try that.... I am not software tester, nor quality engineer.

Any help? And I do not have such issue with other providers.

Thanks,
Alex

suppafly
Premium
join:2009-11-27

Re: Incoming caller ID number are wrong

Hi

Please send me your ticket number to peter@voip.ms and Ill be glad to take a look at the details of the situation.

Thanks again
--
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms

xray

@verizon.net

call quality issues, echo, delay

I have had voip.ms for 6 months now. I am a little confused about all the rave reviews for this company, as well as for VoIP in general. my experience has been:

echo - hearing my own voice with about a half second delay.

delay - there seems to be some delay between caller and callee, similar to the delay with satellite transmissions.

quality - it can be difficult to understand the person on the other end.

Is this common, or is it typically a settings issue, hardware issue, provider issue?
tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1

Re: call quality issues, echo, delay

Test your internet connection itself, pingtest.net and speedtest.net and look for irregular speeds, high ping times and high jitter in ping times. Not sure about the echo unless the person on the other line has you on speaker phone and you can hear yourself, or the speaker is just turned way up on their end.
--
Core i7 920 | OCZ Obsidian 6GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM | EVGA X58 tri SLI-LE mobo | EVGA 1GB GTX460 Video Card | Antec 750w PSU | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 1200 Case | G15 keyboard | G9x mouse | G35 Headset | Asus 23" LED-LCD Monitor
moltentarr

join:2010-08-26

montreal2.voip.ms is down?

Seems like it is down right now...
moltentarr

join:2010-08-26

Re: montreal2.voip.ms is down?

total downtime 16m

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

(topic move) Outbound call issue with Canadian Servers

»Outbound call issue with Canadian Servers

Moderator Action
This topic was moved to the forum Canadian Broadband

masstel

join:2010-09-16
Woodland Hills, CA

VoIP.ms now on Twitter!

I see that VoIP.ms is now posting updates to Twitter!

»twitter.com/voipms

Excellent!
paulo500

join:2006-02-22

Incorrect caller ID and dropped calls

I don't know what's going on, but people that we call are telling us our caller ID number is incorrect. This seems to have started about a week ago. (Today is Dec 11,/2010 and we're still experiencing these issues). People are telling us the numbers are random or shows "unknown" on their display.

Also, in the past few days, after about 3 minutes or so of conversation, the line will drop, resulting in one of us redialing.

I have just sent them a ticket....
What's going on, Voip ms???

masstel

Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Incorrect caller ID and dropped calls

Are you set for Value or Premium routing in your USA48/Canada Routing for this account?

When the Caller ID is the wrong number, what number does it show?

Regarding calls dropping, what VoIP.ms server location are you using?
romsan10

join:2010-12-16

I am getting the same thing too.

Quality of VOIP.ms went down.... people cannot reach me.... very disappointed.

BTW I am using value route..

suppafly
Premium
join:2009-11-27
Reviews:
·Cablemas
All these issues can be easily solved specially for outgoing calls, just open a ticket specifying the numbers you called and the time, our staff will evaluate the route and apply any changes to your account routes should be needed to reach those destinations properly.

Thank you
--
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms
tyrodome
Premium
join:2004-02-18
USA

Test posting -- please ignore.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

* features take two?

So I noticed Guinness asked this question in 2009 but there weren't many features listed. I've scoured Voip.ms's site, and googled it, but haven't found any sort of comprehensive list of * features available for Voip.ms users. Does anyone know what they have available?

I know DND works, as does CID block, I presume call back and call return do, not sure about some of the more obscure features.

Would be really great if Voip.ms kept an updated list of all of their available * features somewhere--or have I just been looking in the wrong place?
--
Tradition: Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. --despair.com

masstel

Woodland Hills, CA

Re: * features take two?

I've never seen such a list, either. I have been assuming that if any of those vertical feature codes work for you, it is not necessarily because VoIP.ms offers that feature assigned to that code, it is because that code is being implemented by your ATA and/or PBX.

For example, you might be able to dial *72 and a number to turn on Call Forwarding, but not because VoIP.ms responded to the *72 code, rather, your ATA remembers the *72 instruction and when you get a call from VoIP.ms, your ATA responds with call forwarding information, and VoIP.ms then handles the call per those instructions.

Another example: You dial *78 for Do Not Disturb. VoIP.ms does not receive that code, your ATA does. When VoIP.ms sends you a call, your ATA responds with the Do Not Disturb info, and VoIP.ms acts accordingly, acting as if your end is busy, etc.

I may be wrong on this... But take a look at the manual for your ATA or PBX and try the feature codes it lists, and see if they work in conjunction with your VoIP.ms DID.

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit
Edit: I just started an account. Here are the features:

- Caller ID

- Voice Mail (from what I understand, you can have as many as you want)

- Digital Receptionist (basically a menu when people call you)

- Calling queues (if you're on the line and get another call, they're on hold with little music!)

- Call forward

- Ring groups (I think this is good if you're not always at the same place, two or more numbers can ring no matter where people call?)

- Call-back (you call the number, hang up, the number calls you back with a dial tone. Good if you have My5 and a cell phone, you pay Voip.ms rates)

- DISA (Direct Inward System Access). Here's the description from the site: "Similar to the call-back, The DISA (Direct Inward System Access) let you dial numbers via your VOIP Account from Inbound Calls. The main difference is that a DISA doesn't "call you back". It gives you directly the access to dial a phone number of your choice, similar to what a Calling Card service does. For example, you can create a DISA Entry, and configure one of your DID Number routing to point to a DISA. When you call, you will be prompted a PIN number and the telephone number you want to dial to. You can also use DISA from IVR's (Digital Receptionist), Time Conditions and CallerID Filtering."

- Time Condition (I think this is to direct a call to a DID depending on the time?)

- Caller ID filtering, one of the very interesting feature. If some telemarketer keeps on calling (like newspaper) block their number and they'll get a message saying your number is not in use.

- Phone Book, you can speed dial using *75## and I think it changes the name of the person who's calling on your Caller ID if you want to. For example John Smith could be replaced by "Grandpa Smith".

- e911 ($1.50/month per DID). This is to make sure your call to 911 gets to the right place and they get your address. This is the only feature that costs extra.

There are a few other features and I have no idea what they are for. I think all the Star (*) features are enabled in your ATA depending on the model.

I should get my ATA by mail within 2 weeks I hope, I can't wait to try that.
TryingVoip

join:2011-03-14
Ottawa, ON

Please help me get my number back!

I had been with Vonage for years starting in the US and then in Canada, where I live now.
Last month I switched to voip.ms and had them port my number from Vonage.

I am finding that voip.ms is not for me and have just joined Vonage again.
Vonage tell me that they cannot port the number back!

When I contact voip.ms, they tell me that they do not block any port-outs and Vonage must be able to initiate the port-out.

Vonage tell me that when they attempt to initiate a port, they get a message "The number portability is currently unavailable" and suggest that I just use the new number they have issued to me.

Can anybody suggest what I can do to get my number back?

Thanks
Dee Bee
Premium
join:2005-05-08
North York, ON

2 edits

Re: Please help me get my number back!

Perhaps you should post a link in the Vonage forum to this forum or ask a moderator to move this thread to the Vonage forum since it appears that the issue is with Vonage not initiating the port request.

You might get more eyes on it that way.

If Vonage did try but got a message saying the above I believe they should try again. Technical difficulties do occur and only one attempt by Vonage in my opinion is not enough nor helpful.

I am currently with Voip.ms myself and I like it. It takes a bit of research and there is a little learning curve, but I found it to be a money saver and a great learning opportunity.

BingoRingo

Gatineau, QC
I'm just speculating here, but maybe for technical or practical reasons you cannot move the number twice within a certain time frame?

I suggest you tell Vonage to try again until it works, it's definitely not voip.ms' fault.
TryingVoip

join:2011-03-14
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the replies.

After reading a thread, titled "Nightmare Experience porting number back to Verizon...", I am getting the impression that there is a lot that can go wrong in porting numbers.

I have decided to put up with the trouble of changing my number and let go of the old one.
Sometimes, it is best to cut losses and move on.

Just in case this may help anyone else:

All calls from one US Vonage and one Canadian Vonage number (the only Vonage numbers tried) get this message: "The number you have dialed is not in service; please check the number or try again".
Such calls do not seem to reach the voip.ms server. They do not get to fail-over as I have set my fail-over to direct to my voice-mail. But, they do not get my voice-mail message. There is no record of these calls in my voip.ms Call Detail Record.

When a call from Vonage fails, logging into voip.ms shows that my voip.ms adapter is registered. Calls originating from other than Vonage work fine most of the time.

Calls from my voip.ms to Vonage, and others, connect properly.
Dee Bee
Premium
join:2005-05-08
North York, ON

1 recommendation

Re: Please help me get my number back!

Have you tried calling your Voip.ms number from a cell phone or other landline?

I found this site very good for setting up an ata: »www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration

It is by Mango, whom posts quite often in the Voip Tech Chat forum here at dslr:
»VOIP Tech Chat

I am sure if you post in that forum someone will attempt to help. MartinM might be able to steer you in the right direction since he is associated with Voip.ms

Have you logged at ticket with Voip.ms online?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 edit
said by TryingVoip:

After reading a thread, titled "Nightmare Experience porting number back to Verizon...", I am getting the impression that there is a lot that can go wrong in porting numbers.

This issue ... porting back to a RBOC (PSTN, real phone company) ... has been discussed in the VOIP Tech Forum ... and has nothing whatsoever to do with your problem. It is almost impossible at this time to port VoIP or Cellular numbers to PSTN accounts, even if the number originally came from PSTN: »Re: Porting a VOIP to Landline (issue with translations)

said by TryingVoip:

All calls from one US Vonage and one Canadian Vonage number (the only Vonage numbers tried) get this message: "The number you have dialed is not in service; please check the number or try again".
Such calls do not seem to reach the voip.ms server. They do not get to fail-over as I have set my fail-over to direct to my voice-mail. But, they do not get my voice-mail message. There is no record of these calls in my voip.ms Call Detail Record.

When a call from Vonage fails, logging into voip.ms shows that my voip.ms adapter is registered. Calls originating from other than Vonage work fine most of the time.

Calls from my voip.ms to Vonage, and others, connect properly.

Your comments define the problem for us. Vonage has an internal Routing Table for its own customers, as do all VoIP providers. This means that calls from one Vonage customer to another are handled within the Vonage server system ... i.e., these calls do not go out over the internet for termination via nationwide Routing Tables as do calls among or between PSTN, Cellular, Beeper, VoIP providers.

Do not blame Voip.ms. You said it yourself: "Calls originating from other than Vonage work fine most of the time." That's because your phone number is properly registered with the "external" (non-Vonage and non-Voip.ms) Routing Tables. It is Vonage that is causing your problem! They have not removed your number from their internal Routing Table ... so anyone calling your number from a Vonage account will be directed internally to a "cancelled" Vonage account.

You must demand that Vonage remove the number from their Routing Table.

By the way, as you will see from my Voip.ms review, it is an excellent provider in all respects.

said by BingoRingo:

I'm just speculating here, but maybe for technical or practical reasons you cannot move the number twice within a certain time frame?

Incorrect speculation! For example, many have transferred a PSTN number to a Cellular provider and then to a VoIP provider within days. There is no "blocking" of multiple portings ... but I repeat that a Voip to PSTN port, even if the number was originally from the PSTN company, is practically impossible.

»[Other] From Vonage to Google Voice in under 96 hours
amd64now

join:2007-04-01
Orleans, ON

1 edit

Delete

Delete
Mango
What router are you using?

join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:11

Re: Delete

PgUp
amd64now

join:2007-04-01
Orleans, ON

1 recommendation

Re: Delete

BingoRingo

Gatineau, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms

2 edits

VOIP.ms pour les nuls/for dummies

Suite à la création de plusieurs "threads" sur le forum Vidéotron portant sur le voip, et surtout voip.ms, on va essayer de se rassembler ici pour répondre aux questions, échanger des trucs et configs, et parler des nouveautés de voip.ms. Essayons un "thread" bilingue mais tout le monde qui n'est pas avec Vidéotron est évidemment le bienvenu!

Aussi, pour que ce soit plus facile pour tout le monde, il serait préférable de partir un nouveau post dans ce forum (et éviter de faire un post de 200 pages comme sur DigitalHome.ca) pour poser des nouvelles questions, et quelqu'un qui écrit un tutoriel en réponse pourrait aussi venir le poster ici.

Following multiple threads on voip and voip.ms on the Videotron forum, we'll try to gather here to share our experiences, answer quetsions, share new tricks and tips and talk about new voip.ms options/features. Let's have a bilingual thread but everyone outside Videotron is welcome of course!

If we get many questions, it might be easier for each question to have its own thread, to avoid a 200-page thread like on DigitalHome (for those who have seen it...!). But if someone feels like making a tutorial to answer one of those question, why not post it here also?

••••••••••
lagz51

join:2011-03-23
Carignan, QC

1 edit

Config dir-615 SPA2102

Salut à tous!
Je viens de recevoir mon ATA. Est ce que quelqu'un connait les bons règlage pour cette combinaison DIR-615 et SPA2102?? Les branchements et autre setting pour le routeur et l'ATA?

MErci BEAUCOUP!

PS: Si il y a de quoi de spécial au niveau de voip.ms, ne vous genez pas pour me l'indiquer!

Edit: point de départ... ca commence mal mais, l'ATA étant derrière le routeur, pas moyen d'y acceder par adresse ip dans browser..?? j'accède seulement à la page du d-link dir-615

•••••••••••••••••

hatfieldfios

join:2005-03-18
Hatfield, PA

voip.ms and obi110

Has anyone tried using voip.ms with OBi110?

I am planning on moving from Vonage to voip.ms, port my vonage number to voip.ms and use the OBi110 in this set-up along with Google Voice. I would like to keep my current phone number for incoming (hence voip.ms) and will be using Google Voice for outgoing and international.

Any learnings, feedback, pros/cons will be helpful in this type of set-up if you are currently using this type of setup. Also if you are expert with VOIP technology and think it would be an issue or non-issue, I need to know that as well.

PS: voip.ms for 2 reasons (1) to keep the number I have had for 20 years now (2) solely for e911

•••
Mikey0124

join:2009-08-09

Call pausing on outgoing calls

For some reason my wife is telling me sometimes when she makes an outgoing call it will pause longer then normal before making the call out. Is there a way to fix this issue? I have in my dialing plan at the end to SO but is there anything else I can change to fix this problem?

Thanks

••••••••••••••••••••••••

teletone

join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

some questions about voip.ms...

1)if i get a DID "Monthly Flat Rate Plan (Incoming)", does that mean that when people call me, it doesn't cost me anything except the monthly flat rate?

example; for my city, the flat rate is $4.95 per month. if i don't dial out and people always call me, that means i only get charged $4.95?

2)what route do international (non U.S/canada) calls take? value or premium?

3)do incoming calls use the premium or value route?

4)is the premium or value route just for outgoing calls?

5)what are channels? why are they important or not?

6)is there visual call waiting?

thanks.

••••••••••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next