dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
Cricket Broadband - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · next
Brulee46

join:2008-11-12
Houston, TX

UTStarcom um100c evdo wireless usb modem

Nov 17, 2008

I tested my wireless connection (8:00 am)

Down> 448, 464,469, 474 KBps
Up> 115, 240

How can I boost modem signal
Online videos are erratic, buffering
Good price, inferior product and service
statewd

join:2008-11-18

1 edit

Re: UTStarcom um100c evdo wireless usb modem

Hello, where is your local city area? I'm in the Fresno CA area.

I'm experiencing the same similar speed as you are. Around 400 to 500Kbps down and 120 to 130Kbps up. I'm not very impressed with this service so far and I almost feel I wasted my money on this usb modem considering it costs $109 USB Modem + $25 Activation. There's a $50 mail-in rebate if I have service with them after 90 days, but I doubt I'm staying with them. There's a $35 re-stocking fee for returning the usb modem. So I feel like I'm thoroughly screwed.
Brulee46

join:2008-11-12
Houston, TX

Re: UTStarcom um100c evdo wireless usb modem

I'm in Houston,Tx
Go to www.3Gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_1

Booster Antenna for Cricket um100c w/cable

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

[NEWS] Why Are ISPs Still Advertising Limited Services As Unlimi

»(news #99768 no longer exists) - posted on the home page

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
»Why Are ISPs Still Advertising Limited Services As Unlimited? - posted on the home page
ecorona

join:2001-11-13
San Diego, CA
I can't establish a VPN connection to my office over the Cricket broadband service. I could about a month ago. Customer service won't give me a straight answer over the phone and won't respond to customer service E-mails. I am thinking of heading over to the LEAP Wireless offices to see if someone over there can answer my questions. Funny thing is that I can establish VPN connections using other broadband services (RoadRunner) on the same computers I am trying to use the Cricket broadband service on. Customer service for Cricket is terrible but I guess you get what you pay for. Anyone else have this problem?
boomersmech

join:2009-01-25

1 edit

Re: Can't use VPN over Cricket Broadband

Im in san diego as well.

Cricket's network is not configured to allow GRE packets using protocol 47. Any PPTP will fail during authentication usually on a windows machine with error 721.

Unfortuntely Tommy a supervisor in the Kansas Cricket Support center was rude enough to set that troubleshooting cannot be done becuase;

A) Cricket does not support VPN's.. Coincidentally (»www.mycricket.com/cricketsupport···search=0) Cricket states
quote:
Is my company's proprietary data secure while on the Cricket wireless network?
Cricket Broadband Service uses CDMA technology, which provides authentication and inherent data protection. However, we recommend you use a VPN and enable firewall protection to secure your information.
Funny how a "RECOMMENDED" feature is not supported.

B) His troubleshooting ended at "If you can ping the server then its not a problem with our service, this proves the route is fine"

Again funny I didnt know ICMP and PPTP run on the same port of 1723?

I suggest calling the customer service number and filing a CORPORATE COMPLAINT through a Supervisor. Ask for a callback and have them explain why it doesnt work.

If ANYONE has a PPTP VPN link working or not thru cricket broadband anywhere in the US I implore you to post here where you are and how or how its not working.

Thank you all, I have a meeting with a Regional Manager Monday to discuss this with them further ...

Derch
Premium
join:2004-10-16
Cross Plains, WI

Click for full size
said by boomersmech:

Any PPTP will fail during authentication usually on a windows machine with error 721.
How are you both routing your VPN connections (i.e. clients, possible added routes in computers)? My Juniper VPN client from work fired right up and all the needed routes worked from day one.
boomersmech

join:2009-01-25

I am using the basic MS VPN Client to connect. There are no added routes... I have flushed them all before attemtping a connection.. The remote server is stating that the connection is statig the inital handshake is made but it could not establish GRE Protocol.

Meaning they are not configured for PPTP/GRE protocol 47 connections.

This has now been tested on 5 computers.. 4 PC's and 1 MAC all has the same problem.

If you want to test I will give you access to my server through PM..

Derch
Premium
join:2004-10-16
Cross Plains, WI

I think our VPN methods are really different now that I think about it:

»www.juniper.net/products/ssl/dsh···0119.pdf
wshreve

join:2009-01-23
Cincinnati, OH
I live in Cincinnati and I have the same problem. I got the service about 2 months ago and initially I was able to connect to my business network with VPN. I need this connection because I work from home after hours. Then it just stopped working and was getting Error 721 when trying to connect. Not only that, I wasn't able to connect to the office with Remote Web Work Place either. Finally I tried LogMeIn and most of the time, that doesn't work. I tried calling support but try to get any kind of meaningful dialogue. And I am a customer support person. This is horrible and hardly worth pursuing. I don't think they even care. At least I can cancel without a penalty. I just can't believe they would block VPN

ScottInMesa

@maricopa.edu
Hello,

Say, did you ever have success in getting Cricket to work with your VPN? We use MS VPN server at work and I am going to be working with our access person this week to figure out why my new Cricket Broadband card wont connect to our office VPN.

Verizons card will by the way.

Scott
ecorona

join:2001-11-13
San Diego, CA

I still have the same problem but I don't use it much. You can't use a PPTP VPN over Cricket because they have blocked PPTP/GRE protocol 47 connections. Their customer service is full of crap so there is no point bringing it up to them. I live a few miles from the LEAP wireless corporate offices who own Cricket but I haven't made it over there yet to see if I could get to someone that might know something. If you need to use MS VPN right now you need to use a different service.

pspcrazy
Anime Freak

join:2008-02-06
San Diego, CA
Just wondering does anyone know when the speed will be going up? It's not bad atm, but for streaming videos it's not that useful.

Atm what i get is this:
0.7 /0.5 mbit which isn't bad, but all their rivals have at least 1 mb download.

Thanks if anyone has any info. Also has anyone been throttled before after hitting 5 GB if so what were the speeds then?

Thanks
--
My Anime Site - AnimeCrazy.net
Flea210

join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

Re: Cricket isn't bad, anyone know when the speeds going up?

It depends on how long you've had it, but it should start picking up after about 2 to 3 weeks.

pspcrazy
Anime Freak

join:2008-02-06
San Diego, CA

Re: Cricket isn't bad, anyone know when the speeds going up?

What should star picking up? Speed or throttling?h
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
They both should but it also depends on how many bars you have, where you keep you computer and if you leave the medom on over night.

Flea210

@69.171.164.x
I've had the cricket modem for a little over 4 months now and at first is was working slow then it picked up speed close to an Ethernet connection, but now it disconnects every few minutes and when I go to reconnect it tells me the users name and/or password it wrong or miss-typed or has expired. Now I tried getting this fix over the phone but nothing they told me to do work and now its working worse which interferes with my school work and my main job. If anyone can help me that would be great cause if this problem doesn’t get fixed soon I'll end up loosing my job and failing school.

Also I know it also depends on which city I live (San Antonio, Tx)

Re: Users name and Password wtf?

hope this helps you out a little bit... first off, it depends on which modem you have. If you have the A600, you can try to go into your network connections and right click on the cricket connection, choose options and check the box that says "always prompt for user name and password", click "ok". Then double left click on the connection again, you will be prompted for a user name and password, your user name will be your 10 digit number @mycricket.com , your password will be cricket, make sure it is all in lower case. Secondly, make sure that the number it dials is #777, and make sure that remember user name and password is checked, click dial. That should fix your issue. If it does not, and this goes for the UM100c also, a simple uninstall / reinstall should fix this. Remember to uninstall both the Quicklink mobile or Cricket Link program (depends on which modem you have) and also the modem driver itself, both from the add/remove programs in your control panel.
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
I do have the UM100c and I did the uninstall and reinstall of everything from the quicklink but that’s what made it worse. I'm running off Vista and I know that can effect’s things but when I put back on one of my other commuters (With XP) its installed on it tells me the same thing and I've also used the connection path on my computers internet finder program which worked for about 5 minutes.

well, the only issue with Vista, is the user account control while installing. If you disable it, you should have no problem. If I were you, I would call up tech support (I work there), and tell them that you're having the user name / password issue, they can refresh your device in the switch, and make sure to have them check your device numbers versus what they have in the system. If you go to your QLM program, and click on help-> about quick link mobile, you're gonna find a whole bunch of info about your device and connection. You want to make sure that the phone number is the same, the MIN, your RSSI should be less than (aka closer to zero) -100 dbm. Also, if you have QLM installed correctly under Vista, you can try another trick that works sometimes. Go to tools -> activation. It's gonna say "this device has already been activated....." just click yes and make sure that is say update "NAM parameters" and "updating PRL", then check your connection. 1 more thing, make sure that no other network connection is enabled! That is probably the number 1 problem we encounter. What happens, is that any network connection other than Cricket Broadband will cause the BB card to go into a "dormant" state, and start to act really funny. Hope this helps, I'll keep checking back....
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
Yeah I did all that and I live in the middle of no where there is no other internet connection around for miles. I even did the CMD/ ping www.google.com thing and that didn’t help, the most that happens it that it works for a few minutes then it keeps coming up with error code 691 and its really annoying the hell out of me so I called again to today (Was told the same things) but had a ticket filed. I was told if within 24 hours if I don’t get a call back to call and have the ticket number checked.
hmmm.. well, sounds like there is a network issue. If you filed an OTTO ticket, then I would wait for them to call.
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
Yeah I gotta call and ask if its be checked out if they dont call by 12:30pm tomorrow (well later to day), what kind of issue(s) could cause the problem? Cause where I normally keep my laptop works fine for 2 bars but it keeps giving me three so I have to keep moving it (I was told 2 bars was the normal amount that was supposed to be the best) and thats the way I'm able to post here. This is just really aggravating because I almost lost my job to day and this is making me fail my web site making class and if I fail i lose my job sadly their tied together as one.
I will post again later if the problem doesn't get resolved.
brekar

join:2009-05-01
Portland, OR
try using the last 4 digits of your cricket broadband phone number for your password not C-R-I-C-K-E-T
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
They told me that as well but didn't work either, I even did the self activation but that hasn't worked either so they filled out another ticket. I got say this is really starting to piss me off, I cant get work done at all.

Hopefully by now Tier 2 has gotten back with you. It has been my experience, that c-r-i-c-k-e-t in all lowercase is the correct password for all devices, however, as i was doing some research today, I found out that some legacy devices actually use the password c-r-i-c-k-e-t- 1 as the password. Normally, though, a simple uninstall / reinstall does the trick. Your issue really perplexes me, because honestly I have only had a couple of instances where I had to submit an OTTO for a username/password error. I'll check our databases again to see if I can find another fix. Let me ask you, have you gone to the store yet to have them check the modem? Don't go to a dealer, go to a full service store, and ask them to check the device on their computer. There might actually be an issue with your modem and sending the right info to the server. If it works ok on their system, then you can rule that out, and focus on computer or install issues
Oh, and the more bars you have, the better the signal, just like a cell phone. The whole 2 bars thing is just so we make sure you have enough signal. It will actually work with just one bar, but it might intermittently disconnect. 2 bars, you're fine. 3 bars, even better. Regardless, the bars of signal won't cause the issue you're having.
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
Well I really have no idea where the office would be and I don’t own a car anymore; they had it fixed yesterday for a few hours then it started up again but all they keep doing is refreshing my account which to be honest doesn’t make any sense to me how that help, I've tried the modem on my other three computers and it tells me the same thing so I know its not my main computer or my alt computers. As for the signal if I do get more than 2 bars the bit rate slows down or it disconnects interlay; would it help if you had my ticket number?

(It disconnected 3 times while I typed this.)

Yeah, give me your ticket number, i'll do what i can, of course for security purposes, i couldn't divulge account info, but i might be able to steer you in the right direction
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
I understand but my ticket number is 171979. It seems the only thing I can do for now is make it log online by clicking connect till it actually does.

Just wondering if they have called you back yet about your issue. Let me know, if not, i'll see what else i can do.
Flea210

San Antonio, TX
No and I've had a third ticket filled out again.

ilovechris091407

@69.171.171.x
i have looked for the answer to this for a long time but it seems like no one knows.. i know cricket broadband has its own phone number, and i get sms texts from cricket, but i was wondering if i text another cell phone will it cost me? can i text an at&t number? please any information would help.
Flea210

San Antonio, TX

Re: please help

The text messages for the modem don't cost a thing its just like texting from a cricket phone their unlimited and you can text anyone on any cell phone company, you dont even have to be logged on to the internet to send/recive them.

Bill04

@level3.net
I have had Cricket broadband with a Cal-Comp A600 modem for a few months now. I can get it to work just fine on two computers with XP, but on my Vista machine it won't recognize the modem -- it always says, "no device." Any suggestions?

Anime210Konpaku

@level3.net

Re: Can't get Vista machine to recognize Cal-Comp A600 modem

What you have to do since that modem doesn't come with the disc you have to go to the cricket website and find the modem there then download the program and everything needed.

Tier 3 Shane

@twtelecom.net
Try turning off UAC - User Acct Control
theotherrene

join:2009-06-27
Houston, TX
Hello,

I would like to update the PRL on this modem but I've no clue on how to get started. Can anyone post a link to a how-to on the process, or c/p the instructions here? Thanks!

Re: Updating PRL On UTStarcom UM100C

Simple.. On your Quick Link Mobile Screen, Choose Tools-> Activation. It's just like dialing *228 from your cell phone
theotherrene

join:2009-06-27
Houston, TX

Re: Updating PRL On UTStarcom UM100C

Ahhhh, just like that? Thanks, I'll give that a try. I think I'm on the edge of the (sprint in houston?) coverage area at home, only getting dial-up speeds. Couldn't hurt.

julie

@69.171.160.x
Is there ANY way to stop Cricket BB from constantly changing its status to Dormant every minute or even every few seconds?

I am disabled and homebound, and must upload blood test results to my doctor frequently, so I need a constant connection. This Dormant business is going to be the death of me! I don't download very much, just play a little free online poker so I don't understand why this is happening. I can't believe I gave up dialup for this nonsense, which is also frequently very slow. I have the 100 modem.

I really need some assistance to get around this, and am hoping somebody can help. Thank you.

wireless60050

@level3.net

Re: cricket broadband service dormant

dont worry, mine says dormant all the time. Ive had service go down at 2am, otherwise any other time it is 100%
gameventures

join:2009-08-07
Nostalgia can be intoxicating. It can even be disheartening, in that the past can never be reclaimed – at least not tangibly. As a young kid playing cricket on the street, in community clubs or in schools, all of us had grandiose cricket dreams – to imagine what we would be one day, achieving ultimate greatness in the realms of cricket. Our dreams stretched beyond the limits of our own persons, since cricket is a team sport after all. We would dream about winning tournaments in our own community, joining the big boys in the big leagues, and hoping to decimate them on their own turf. Such were the joys of childhood.

However, must we look only to the past to find that solace? We are privileged to have alternate means of imbibing the joys of the cricket experience – following our home country teams with an unmatched fervor, feeling like millionaires when they transcend greatness, and terribly depressed when they disappoint us. There is fantasy cricket which allows us to pit our selection wits against the best of them. Different cricket fans have different ways of getting that cricket experience – what other means can you think of?

There are cricket games of course. PC, Playstation or Xbox, Games have a wonderful ability to enable us to recreate our own reality, putting us right in the midst of the action allowing us to reclaim the emotions that we used to experience when we hit that nasty fast bowler on the street for six, or splintered stumps bowling as fast as we could. The best part – games enable you to feel that joy, even if you have never been able to hit the ball beyond the inner circle.

Cricket has a proud tradition and legions of fervent supporters. Yet, it doesn’t take much to realize, that cricket has been short-changed in that it has never been given that one defining, life-changing game. You only need to look at the example of soccer games to realize the possibilities that exist in creating the ultimate sports virtual reality. Traditional cricket games have tended to put themselves in either the live-action bucket, or the manager bucket – and stuck to perfecting it. Yet, there has been something always amiss. Whether it is the pacing of the game, or the lack of control on the game environment (i.e. composition of teams, ability to play a wider variety of teams, team micro-management), or the fact that cricket being a game of high duration can be taxing to play alone for long periods of time.

Cricket supporters should certainly not settle for a second-grade experience – at least not next to soccer, because we as cricket fanatics believe our sport is indeed the best sport. So cricket fanatics, what features would your ultimate cricket game possess? What kind of game would allow us to relive our glory days – playing against our friends, making our team the best in the neighborhood, the village, the town, the city, and then the country. And finally, what would a cricket game look like that would give us complete control over our cricket experience – yes, a game that is free even from the messianic presence of Lalit Modi.
Cricketers of the world, lets share our thoughts, and get the ball rolling on this cricket revolution.

Green Day
Premium
join:2006-09-03
Phoenix, AZ

Re: The Ultimate Cricket Game

Are you kidding me?
christinefm
Premium
join:2009-09-02
Rosedale, MD
My Cricket modem worked great - until I installed Snow Leopard on my Macbook. Repeated installations have not worked. Basically, each time I insert the modem into the USB port, the drive shows up with the installation package. The software is located on the USB drive, and when I installed it before, this didn't show up after a successful install.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I have just emailed Cricket to find out if they are going to post an updated version of the software.

xero blade

@69.171.163.x

Re: Cricket not working with Snow Leopard

getting snow leopard is like a snow job because the things it adds does nothing for you and it makes alot of your software/ hardware break. Downgrade if you can for a couple months until you find out that cricket fixed the issue. This is a Apple issue that most MAC people have alot of issues with, more so since Apple updates way more than microsoft on OS versions. So just downgrade and be happy. The snow leopard upgrade does nothing special... its more like a service pack that you dont need. Most of the new OS doesnt work right now because its features arnt supported by a lot of software yet.
dye46

join:2007-01-22
Park Ridge, IL
I've had an a600 for a few weeks now and while I've been fairly satisfied with the connection once it is up, a lot of the time it takes a long time (up to 20 minutes) to get a connection in an area where I *know* there is a good signal.

I use it to commute via train from Chicago to Orland Park.

Several problems can happen:

1) the a600 gets no signal once it powers up. Just a little green
blinking light "no service". This can happen powercycle after powercycle (unplug, wait, plug back in). A lot of the time this is when I'm sitting in the station...and I go from multiple 'no signal's to a 4-bar strong signal.

2) once the cricket dial app finds the modem and says it has signal, clicking "connect" does nothing. The app says "dialing", the lights on the modem say there is a signal (solid green circle) but the circle doesn't blink, so you know no data is being transmitted. After 40-50 seconds you get a popup "machine on the other end not responding" window.

3) clicking connect on the dial app does nothing....it just blinks when you click on it. No "dialing".

Sometimes I get a combination of 1) and 2) which can suck. "wow, I finally got a signal!" followed by "not responding".

Should I try to get another a600?

Anyone know the ^D (control-d) secret password for the a600?

--Ken

dye46

join:2007-01-22
Park Ridge, IL
Has anyone got VNC to work over a cricket connection?

I'd used RealVNC (client on laptop, server at home) just fine w/the AT&T 3G connection, but with cricket I get "unreachable host".

I'm using the standard port, 5900.

--Ken
hematitan

join:2009-07-14
O Fallon, MO
My upload is higher than my download...check this out...
harborboy223

join:2009-10-28

Re: Horrible Speeds

is there a way i can speed up my bitTorrent downlands using this cricket wireless?
hematitan

join:2009-07-14
O Fallon, MO
You don't want Cricket MBB. If you have to go with MBB I would highly recommend Millenicom. They have superior 3g compared to any other provider.

adgonz

@69.171.160.x
So far is working good, can't complain. All I need for now, will try for the next 2 weeks.

••••
adgonz

join:2009-12-06
Sparks, NV
So what's this all about Cricket speeds should be picking up after the 2nd or 3rd week of service? Does anyone know anything about this. Some one mentioned it here>> »Cricket isn't bad, anyone know when the speeds going up?
justjeff

join:2009-12-16
Eloy, AZ
When or why or why not use this option

••••

amberh

@leapwireless.net
Help! My laptop does not acknowledge cricket wireless, however my home computer (running windows 2000) finds new hardware and works fine.

What can I do to use Cricket on my laptop?
gailg

join:2004-04-26
Oakland, CA
The speed is "as advertised" but just barely. They say their download speeds are 400-700 and I usually get 400-something (or sometimes even below 400). Their upload speeds are supposed to be 100-200 and I usually get about 130.

I really wish I could find something faster that I could use on my laptop.