dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo About
AT&T Wireless Broadband - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Post your experience with AT&T Wireless here

This forum depends on your input. So ... give it.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/
lastmile

join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO

Re: Post your experience with AT&T Wireless here

Works pretty good for what I use it for:
- primarily IPSec VPN
- email / browsing
- some videos
- sharing connection over 2-4 devices via MBR1000
- bandwidth is decent compared to alternatives (Satellite)
- latency significantly better than Satellite but could be improved.

5GB cap could be improved as well as other similar ISP's.

Purchased service around Oct-Nov '08 and only two times noted when service was down for extended period but was fixed within several days.

Speedtest with two concurrent PC's online; one with VPN session and the test shows the other wide-open.

Bring-on the 7.2 HSPA!

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

Nothing shabby about those speeds - looks good
--
ggultra2764

join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..
·Millenicom
I've got a phone through AT&T's prepaid Pay as You Go plan with a Samsung SGH-a167. The phones you can get through prepaid are quite affordable despite most of them being refurbished models. I'm on their $1 a day plan which gives me unlimited calls to AT&T cell phones and ten cents per minute for anyone I call who isn't on AT&T mobile. You also have the option of getting unlimited nights and weekends with the plan, which would cost about $20 a month. I normally spend $50 a month on my phone which besides the $1 a day plan, also includes Internet access on the phone (bought 100 MB for $20 first week I got the phone and paid $5 per month to get a single megabyte for the data to roll over) and 200 text messages a month ($5 a month which also roll over).

I'll admit that while the phones are affordable, the features can be a bit pricey if you go overboard with them or you try getting too much. I don't text message often, but my siblings would burn through 200 text messages quite quickly since they regularly text their friends. Fortunately, there are higher options for texting like getting 1000 messages ($10) or unlimited ($20). I don't have to worry about burning through data too quickly since I have Verizon Wireless for use on my computer at home as my main Internet connection and I only make use of the data connection on my phone while away from the house. Plus, my phone only gets a GPRS connection which is about as low as you get for a cell phone data connection nowadays. There are phones that do have an EDGE connection for a slight boost in speed if you want anything faster. I've also seen that there's a phone with a 3G connection, the Pantech C630, also available to purchase which could be either a blessing or a problem depending on your Internet browsing habits. Having a 3G connection near you with that phone would cost your 100 MB data plan to burn up quite quickly if you went overboard with Internet browsing.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

If you are in a Sprint footprint, you should look at »www.millenicom.com - all your worries about data caps will go away.
--
ggultra2764

Cambridge, NY

I have. Have Nextel coverage, but roaming coverage with Sprint.
VRod105

join:2008-06-23
Barnhart, MO
Buyer Beware - Millenicom is selling a service without any negotiated contracts with their upstream providers. They will sell you unlimited service then change their Terms of Servie and cap you at 5GB.

Look at the Millenicom board and judge for yourself. They just screwed their users who were on the Verizon network.
ggultra2764

Cambridge, NY

Last I recall, Millenicom made clear they had to start capping service earlier this year and later added on the Unlimited option for those that had Sprint coverage in their area.
VRod105

Barnhart, MO

1 edit

They did not add Sprint it was already offered. They increased the price from $59 per month to $69 per month. Both the $59 and $69 plans were "unlimited".

The problem has nothing to do with what Millenicom offers. Most people would assume that if they are offering an unlimited service, that they have fully secured the rights to offer an unlimited service from their upstream providers. In the case of Verizon it is clear that they did not.
rtazz1

join:2001-05-02
Friendship, TN

ATT Wireless Ft Knox KY been down all day

Service went down about 9:00am local time here. They finally admitted there was a problem about 4:00pm. Also, there has been no long distance phone service to boot. As of 8:20pm local they have no idea how long this outage will continue.
VRod105

Barnhart, MO

1 edit

ATT Wireless Broadband

After using Hughes and Verizon, I switched to Millenicom earlier this year. Evidently they were selling an unlimited service without properly negotiated upstream contracts, so unlimited service has suddenly become capped at 5GB.

I started looking at ATT Wireless broadband because I have a 20% employer discount with ATT wireless through my employer.

I have a 3G signal on my cell and checked to see if there were towers in my area. The towers are approximately 1.5 miles from my house similar to the distance of the Verizon tower I was using with Millenicom.

So I ordered the ATT Mercury USB device. It was $119 on a 1 year plan with $100 rebate and a $25 discount for ordering online making it free.

I signed up for the $60 data plan that will be $48 with my discount. Make sure that you choose the no voice feature to eliminate the pesky fees and taxes.

One plus might be free accessibility to ATT Wi-Fi hostspots. ATT bought Wayport so they now have access points in many of the McDonalds around the country. ATT also had an arraignment with Starbucks as well.

I will post my progress and reviews.
VRod105

Barnhart, MO

Re: ATT Wireless Broadband

My ATT Mercury device arrived last night. I ordered it Thursday morning so a total of a couple of business days to ship and receive. I ordered the Mercury device because the QuickSilver device has some "compatibility" problems with ny MBR1000. The device also accepts a MicroSD chip enabling it to double as a USB thumb/jump drive. The only con about the device is it does not have a swivel point on it which causes it to stick out 3"-4" from the computer.

I installed the SIM card and plugged the device in. My autorun detected the installation files in the memory on the device and I ran the setup. 15 minutes later I was on and had a good connection.

The ATT software also has text messaging enabled. I plan on sending a few to make sure if there are additional fees associated to texting.

One final item. I logged into my ATT account this morning and had an accounting of my usage from the day prior. I know that it was at times to get a usage statistics from VZ Access Manager.

I will run some speed tests and post them over the weekend.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

[NEWS] AT&T iPhone MMS Goes Live

»AT&T iPhone MMS Goes Live - posted on the home page

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2

3G on 850 update for Denver

I was informed by someone at a AT&T store that got a memo from Corp that Denver was supposed to be switched over to the 3G on 850MHz by the end of October. We shall see how much of that is true, but if that happens I will be very happy. They actually seem to have a fast 3G network here in Denver that does have pretty good coverage already.
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

Bell System
Premium
join:2005-12-04
Strongsville, OH

AT&T Microcell

Anyone in NC have one? How has it been performing? Can't wait until national release. Has there been any public info on Cleveland, OH area getting 850 Mhz 3G upgrade? 3G has been good but could always be better.
rsullivan26

join:2002-05-31
Greensboro, NC

Unlocking Samsung C270 for U.S.A. AT&T use

I recently purchased an unlocked Samsung A117 anticipating that I could insert a Lebara SIM card specific for Spain. Much to my dismay, when I arrived in Spain and tried to link into the Vodafone network I could not get a signal although the Lebara SIM website seemed to say/imply that any unlocked phone supporting GSM dual-band technology would work in Europe with the appropriate SIM card. Well, Spain does have a dual band GSM type but it is 900/1800 and not 850/1900 as is used in the U.S. So I purchased a locked Samsung C270 from a Vodafone store in Barcelona and added some airtime. Nice phone and works almost like the A117. Does anyone know if I could unlock this Vodafone C270 GSM dual band cellphone, plug in my U.S. SIM card to use it here in the U.S. under my AT&T prepaid cell plan? Is the A117 only specific to U.S. and C270 only specific to Europe despite each being GSM dual band? Would unlocking the Vodafone C270 be a waste of effort/money? Thanks for any help. Ray

Karl Bode
News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T: iPhone Data Pricing Comments 'Taken Out Of Context'

»AT&T: iPhone Data Pricing Comments 'Taken Out Of Context' - posted on the home page

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

AT&T Broadband out in Metucan, NJ

Anyone having issues arround Metuchan,NJ today?
My iphone was searching for signal for 2 hours, only came back on after I left the area to go home, I normally have full signal and 5 bars in this particular place.
JRVS

join:2001-06-01
Houston, TX

DUN connectoid for AT&T?

A friend has AT&T mobile broadband on his Windows 7 notebook. AT&T's antique dialer software posts a UAC message every time he connects.

With Verizon Wireless Broadband, one can create a Windows Dialup Networking connectoid that dials #77, using the wireless modem. VZW's software still has to be installed, but you don't have to use VZW's dialer. (Never used it on Vista or W7 so I don't know if it has UAC problems.)

Is there a way to create a DUN connectoid for AT&T in order to bypass their dialer and (hopefully) the UAC prompt?

Mike_

join:2003-06-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: DUN connectoid for AT&T?

Why not disable uac? (Start, run, msconfig) launch uac settings and drag the slider bar all the way down.
--
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you know what you're doing.
JRVS

Houston, TX

Thanks for your reply. I have a different take on UAC. An analogy:

I have a security system in my home. I enable it every night when I go to bed, even though I don't like the sound it makes if someone tries to break in.

I also have a security system called UAC on my computer. I leave it enabled it on every computer I use, and on Windows 7, I turn it up to Maximum, where it should be by default. On enterprise systems I support, I enforce it with Group Policy. And I don't disable it, even though I don't like the sound it makes if malware (or a poorly written WISP dialer) tries to break in.

No, the last thing I'm going to advise my non-computer-savvy friend to do is disable UAC. This same guy has replaced one computer after another in the past because of malware. UAC is a Windows user's best friend, and the best reason to upgrade to Windows 6.x.

Back on-topic: Anyone know if there's a way to create a DUN connectoid for AT&T wireless? (Which may or may not solve the UAC problem, depending on what's causing it.)

Mike_

Fort Lauderdale, FL
I know you didn't mean it the way you say it.. Comparing your alarm system to UAC is not a comparison... But I do know systems in both corporate and consumer level environments too. I know what UAC does, and how it works.. It is one of the lower levels of windows protection against malware.. If that is the sole software you are using to keep your systems secure, you're missing a whole lot of vulnerabilities.. While UAC does help a lot of user initiated breaches, there are several programs out there which protect systems in many other ways than UAC's elevating privilege approach. They do it proactively and efficiently.

One fantastic attempt Microsoft has introduced for not only Malware, but for Spyware and Viruses, is Microsoft Security Essentials. It has earned a very high place in the rankings of protection software, and works very well in my experiences. I would recommend this as well.

Also, with your maximizing UAC settings - this will almost always cause a security warning at any program/file execution.

If this friend replaces computers because of malware - he may have some mis-understanding issues. He would also truly need more than just UAC from what you are describing.

Back to topic - AT&T registers/authenticates with the network much differently than Verizon/Sprint CDMA2k which "dials" via #777 with the ESN. AT&T's GSM/W-CDMA network utilizes a username/password approach which may or may not be proprietary and authenticates with a SIM card. You may think it is "antique" software, but it is just a matter of different technology on the network and how it registers with it.
--
JRVS

Houston, TX

Thanks for your reply.

You gloss over what makes it a bad analogy, and I'm hardly the first to use it. Regardless, turning it off is not a recommendation I could ever make. And I didn't say it was all the protection that was necessary! Where did you get that from? Of course it isn't. Neither is my alarm system.

My experiences with W7 UAC at maximum or Vista with UAC on most certainly do not include security warnings at ANY program or file execution in Vista or W7. You'll have to take my word for that, but it's absolutely true.

And my friend reports he doesn't see UAC prompts either, at W7's default, weakened setting...except with AT&T's dialer.

Like many non-technical users, it took a while for my friend to understand the importance of AV, paying the subscription after the trial period ends to keep it updated, principle of least permissions (he won't ever get that, but UAC helps protect him from himself to some degree--he DOES get that), and that you can't just click any link that comes your way. And since reinstalling Windows is not how he wants to spend his weekends, he tends to replace computers more or less annually when they finally grind to a halt.

(And I'm glad I didn't send him the link to this thread to read what I'm saying about him.)

Most types of connections require authentication...VPN, analog dial-up, WiFi. I've used all of them on W7 without UAC prompts. I'll have to take your word for it that AT&T can't function without raising a UAC prompt. That it's not something as dumb as writing to an INI or log file in the program directory. And that a DUN connection can't be made to avoid their dialer, which is a more credible position.

But if that's true...

VZW is available here, too, and coverage-wise, a better choice. I guess I'll check in their forum to see if their dialer triggers UAC prompts...I've never used it myself on anything more recent than XP.

And if it's true that AT&T is inherently incapable of making a connection without triggering UAC, that's good to know. It's a great reason to choose another WISP, in my opinion.

Mike_

Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits
As to your inquiry. This will help you setup the connection for AT&T. This seems to be a simple method as well.

A Google search has provided me with the following regarding your inquiry. See the steps to setting it up manually here.

»www.wireless.att.com/answer-cent···=KB48391

And another user's site has also provided some information..
»www.gruups.com/cingular_internet/

It would be IL-advised to try VZW. The speed simply does not compare. Sub-par 400-900 kbps is achieved on VZW. AT&T's HSPA on average for me achieves between 1.5 - 4mbps and is only going to get faster soon as HSPA W-CDMA has a lot of growth ahead of it.

--
JRVS

Houston, TX

AT&T's theoretical advantage doesn't matter when you're out of range, and with AT&T, as we all know, that happens a lot. He uses it mostly for web browsing & RDP to the office system; bandwidth is nice, but isn't a big deal for him. Coverage matters more. He has Wi-Fi and wired when he needs it. Heck, I'm a computer geek with 20 years in IT, and find VZW more than adequate for the times I need mobile Internet.

Glad to see DUN is possible with AT&T after all and doesn't "utilize a username/password approach which may or may not be proprietary and authenticates with a SIM card". Odd that the one way to connect that people actually USE with Win 7 isn't documented by AT&T...click the Connectoid on the Connect To menu and click Connect (or Disconnect). They make it sound so complicated!

If you're correct that it's not possible to make an HSPA connection without raising UAC's attention, of course, it won't make any difference. But if I'm correct, there's a good chance it will (as long as the driver isn't doing something naughty). And it's certainly a cleaner, more integrated user experience.

My Google search was more goal-oriented: "AT&T UAC". I was (and am) discouraged that at least in the first dozen pages, I found no relevant hits. And at AT&T support, both "UAC" and "User account control" searches came up empty. DUN was an afterthought after I got here but I wish I had thought of it at the time. Hence my post here. Thanks for your help finding it.

I'll post what I find when I get a chance to set it up for him for future Google searchers. If we can keep AT&T users from disabling UAC en masse, you and I will have done a great service for computing humanity.

Thanks!
Landin_CH

join:2003-02-04
Fredericksburg, VA

Besides using my SW881U connection, a quick connect is for me to BT my phone and the Laptop MSIE seems to browse via mobile web access.
JRVS

Houston, TX

That works well, too, though off-topic. Or www.wmwifirouter.com. But my friend has mobile broadband built in to his notebook and wants to get rid of the UAC popup that AT&T's dialer causes. (I've never circled back to him on this to try it, though!)
chgocolt
Premium
join:2004-07-10
Chicago, IL

Help... Do signal boosters work?

Just switched to AT&T Wireless (iPhone) and I have NO signal at all in at least 75% of my apartment. In some areas I can get one bar (2G) and sometimes 2 bars for a short time. It appears from the maps that I'm at the edge of a 3G cell. But things are bad enough where I never get a 3G signal and my ability to make and receive calls at all is wildly unpredictable. (Not even going to dream of data or other 3G activities!) (BTW: I have had Sprint here for the past 3 years with strong signals and Verizon for 2 years before that, so it's not the building.)

Do any of the "Signal boosters" like the Wi-Ex zBoost work? I have to do something or it's going to be a VERY long 2 years of switching forwarding on & off to the land line.
lastmile

join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO

Wireless packet loss

Greetings all -- I have been starting to encounter packet loss via AT&T 3G service. I access the service via 3G watcher, AT&T Comm. Mgr. and mainly share the connection via Cradlepoint MBR1000. The service has been great for well over one year but it has been quite rough over past month.

I'm curious if a certain amount of packet-loss is considered normal on 3G wireless networks but I'm starting to suspect the issues could be congestion-related as it tends to climb throughout the day.

Forcing a 2G connection does seem to improve the reliability as the packet-loss is not as apparent.

Under no-load, packet-loss is almost at zero over many hours but once I start to put a load on it (browsing, downloading, VPN, etc), I start incurring anywhere from 20-50% packet-loss (>4000ms TTL) which makes the connection unreliable and unusable.

I've tried new sim cards and different laptop cards but the problem remains. I have tickets open with the provider now but I'm curious to know if there are suggestions or similar experiences in respect to "packet-loss" on wireless networks.

Thanks!

Karl Bode
News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T Microcell 3G Use Will Count Against Your Cap

»AT&T Microcell 3G Use Will Count Against Your Cap - posted on the home page

Karl Bode
News Guy

[NEWS] Verizon Smartphone Users Consume The Most Data

»Verizon Smartphone Users Consume The Most Data - posted on the home page
SailorPaul4

join:2010-09-11
Thousand Oaks, CA

App failure - AT&T Marks The Spot -

Why does AT&T not fix this app, even after it's been updated a number of times in the iTunes App Store?

The app is enables customers to report geographic locations where they suffer failed call attempts, dropped calls and the like. So far, so good.

HOWEVER, the app has three location issues
1. It sometimes can't get a GPS fix before it times out (OK, then let's use their map and move the drop-pin to the spot)
2. ...THE STUPID APP assumes that I'm in Oklahoma each and every time you start the app !!! Why does it not default to the last used map position, instead of making me scroll my way from the midwest to CA
3. There's no feedback mechanism to the development team. Anybody know a contact there?

Other than those irritations, it's a good idea. And I've noticed that coverage has been improving in the areas flagged months before as cell sites are going in or antenna tweeks occur.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

Re: App failure - AT&T Marks The Spot -

3. There's no feedback mechanism to the development team. Anybody know a contact there?
I looked around and wasn't able to find anything on support, other than the app store page pointing back to AT&T's main support site: »www.wireless.att.com/answer-cent···et=UTF-8

My guess is that you'd have to go through the pains of tech support to get a message to the dev team, or perhaps try their email form? »www.att.com/olam/dashboardAction.olamexecute
SailorPaul4

join:2010-09-11
Thousand Oaks, CA

Re: App failure - AT&T Marks The Spot -

Arrgh. I fixed it, but feel stupid. The app defaults to "Location services off" in the iPhone settings. Turn location svcs "on " and it works fine.
RedSurf

join:2002-12-21
East Bernard, TX

TX Outage

AT&T 3G and E here in TX have been down since early this morning. Anyone else see this problem?
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

Slow hspa (3G) in Chicago area

I got iPhone 4. When I first got it the speeds in Chicago were usually above 1.5, 2. Mb/s download, recently it seems it has slowed down everywhere. Does anyone else experience slow speed in Chicago with their smartphone?

My recent speed (north Michigan ave, state)

Test Date: October 1, 2010 6:40 PM
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Chicago, IL
Download: 0.81 Mbps
Upload: 0.61 Mbps
Ping: 280 ms

Seems to be not bad but could better. I have heard NYC has upgraded towers and nowmuch higher speeds.

AC

@leapwireless.net

Good bye AT&T broadband- Giaint ripoff

Ive had this AT&T broadband for a few years now and it hasn't been great. Finally it was getting fast enough for HD youtube and streaming TV.

Yesterday I couldn't get it to work, called tech support and all of a sudden I'm placed on the 5G plan when I was always unlimited. They always said that they wouldn't do this to existing customers, they lied.

They wanted me to accept playing 5 cents per MB. That's 50 dollars per gig!

Screw that I went with Cricket for 60/mo. 7.5G at T1 speed, 100kb over that. So its T1 fast the first half of the month not so fast for the second half. Maybe I'll shut down more. Not go to so many refreshing sites and streaming.

Anyway don't accept the AT&T 5 gig plan unless you like paying an extra 200/mo.

••••

Karl Bode
News Guy

[NEWS] Fortune: Verizon iPhone 'Confirmed'

»Fortune: Verizon iPhone 'Confirmed' - posted on the home page

jweek
Premium
join:1999-08-27
Reno, NV

Post Your HSPA+ Speeds Here

Fellow AT&T Wireless Broadband forum members,

Now that the AT&T 3G network is being updated to HSPA+ across the country, I suggest that it's an appropriate time for us to also start watching download speeds.

Accordingly, here's my entry, from Reno, NV, 89509 using a USBConnect Shockwave (Sierra Wireless USB 308):

Early in the morning :

Mid Morning:

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••