dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
AT&T Wireless Broadband - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16

Are they blocking Text Messages from my IP?

I maintain a paging system for a small fire department. Recently it became apparent that several AT&T subscribers, including me, are not receiving text messages sent as e-mails. We have been sending the messages in the same manner for about 5 years, via @txt.att.net. Our Verizon users receive them as normal when sent via the same SMTP server as the At&T subscribers. During my trouble shooting it became apparent that the messages were only NOT being delivered FROM a specific IP address. As usual if it is not a simple fix the CSRs do nothing and need to escalate to the next level. Most of the time I find that the level 1 tech support only can tell you how to remove the battery and reboot your phone none the less know what a SNPP or SMTP server is. Anyway, I digress... Has anyone else had any problems sending messages to your AT&T devices via the @txt.att.net address? After I demanded the next level of support, the tech I spoke with told me that there is a "known problem" and they are working on it. If there is a "problem" why is it only a problem for one IP address. Your assistance would be helpful.

Thanks
Jeff
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852

Re: Are they blocking Text Messages from my IP?

I just sent a message from my Yahoo mail to my phone through the above method and I got the message in less than five seconds. Went through just fine. Just did the 10 digit phone number with the @txt.att.net
jp16
united state

jp16

That just it... I have a duplicate system, the only diffrence is the ISP is diffrent, thus a diffrent IP address. When I use the exact same setup on the one ISP the message goes.

When sending from the main system, messages do not go through to the AT&T users, Verizon users get the message so the messages are being sent. We use Inforad software which sends them via a gmail SMTP account. This has worked for many years without a problem, until now.

When I log into gmail and use the web based interface to send the message it goes no problem, again diffrent sending IP address because its via the web interface. This is why I feel that AT&T is blocking our main IP address. However level 1 tech support denies they block anything but I have found many other posts on other forums about whitelisting IP's via level 2 or 3 tech support, which is difficult to get to.
tman852
Columbus, OH

tman852 to jp16

to jp16
I forget which port it is but I very highly doubt they would block the ports for SMTP even through the text address form for the phones.... maybe they blacklisted the gmail account sending out the mass texts mistaking it for spam? I'm not sure really, have you tried sending those At&t numbers texts through a different Gmail or yahoo mail account?
jp16
united state

jp16

I can send from another network via the same gmail SMTP gateway and account without a problem. When I send from the suspect network with the questionable IP, the messages do not go to the mobile device. According to gmail the messages get sent and do not bounce.

pete_c
join:2008-11-10
Tinley Park, IL

pete_c

AT&T Email to Mobile Text Problems Today - Is it Nationwide?

Just noticed that I cannot send any TXT messages to my AT&T mobile phone from home via Gmail SMTP, Verizon SMTP and Comcast SMTP.

I can send txt messages if I go on to the web email services of Gmail and Comcast but not Verizon or from phone to phone.

Also read of some fire department having same issue??

I've seen this as a recognized problem doing a quick g search. I tried to open a ticket yesterday and CS told me to come in to swap out my SIM. I've read that this is an AT&T problem and not related to SIM cards or service tiers.

Trying to open a ticket - seems busy today. CS would not open a ticket.
pete_c

pete_c

Re: AT&T Email to Mobile Text Problems Today - Is it Nationwide?

Tried CS again. 1st & 2nd tiers were clueless. I don't believe they understood what AT&T's texting service is all about or how it works.

In case anyone from AT&T customer service reads this:
quote:
Text messaging or texting refers to the exchange of brief written messages between fixed-line phone or mobile phone and fixed or portable devices over a network. While the original term (see below) was derived from referring to messages sent using the Short Message Service (SMS) originated from Radio Telegraphy, it has since been extended to include messages containing image, video, and sound content (known as MMS messages). The sender of a text message is known as a texter, while the service itself has different colloquialisms depending on the region: it may simply be referred to as a text in North America, India, Australia, the Philippines and the United Kingdom, an SMS in most of Europe, and a TMS or SMS in the Middle East and Asia.

Text messages can be used to interact with automated systems, such as ordering products and services for mobile phones, or participating in contests. Advertisers and service providers use texts to notify mobile phone users about promotions, payment due dates and other notifications that can usually be sent by post, e-mail or voicemail.

In straight and concise definition, "Text Messaging" by phones or mobile phones should include all 26 letters of the alphabet and 10 numerals, i.e. alpha-numeric messages or text to be sent by texter or received by the textee.[1]
from Text messaging Wiki.

Changed my WAN IP address and that fixed it.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] AT&T: Mobile Smartphone Hotspot Service Costs $20 A Month

»AT&T: Mobile Hotspot Service Costs $20 A Month [28] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] JD Powers Awards T-Mobile For Best Customer Service

»J.D. Power Awards T-Mobile For Best Customer Service [67] comments - posted on the home page
Karl Bode

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Verizon Tells Us New Throttling Isn't Implemented Yet

»Verizon Tells Us New Throttling Isn't Implemented Yet [41] comments - posted on the home page
cellguru
join:2008-09-22
Pleasant Grove, UT

cellguru

New Cradlepoint Firmware released

Cradlepoint has released new firmware for several of the newer AT&T modems. The Shockwave, Adrenaline, and Huawei 900 are all now supported by most of the Cradlepoint routers.

Conspicously absent from the updates are Cradlepoint's CTR350 and PHS300 which are both EOL (end of life).

Updates available at 'http://www.wirelessnwifi.com/Firmware-Updates'

No word whether there will be any future updates on those discontinued products.
djswartz
join:2002-05-23
Fort Lauderdale, FL

djswartz

Gross Errors in ATT data metering for iPad data plan

I took advantage of the free 30 day 2G plan for my new iPad on 25 March. Data rates here in South Florida are good, I usually see 1.5 to 3Mb/s down and 1.2 Mb/s up. The problem is that ATT claims for how much data I've used are grossly inflated. In 11 days they show my usage at 4.516 GB with 4.188GBof that supposedly occurring yesterday. I spent 3 hours tring to reach anyone at ATT that could fix the problem with no success. My iPad shows my total data usage as 390MB up and 1.2 GB down. I believe those numbers. No one at ATT that I talked to cared what I or my iPad reported. I had to cancel the data plan since I did not want to have to keep calling to get credit for false overages. After canceling, my iPad now shows "No Service" where it formerly showed strength bars and ATT. I fear that some GPS functionality is lost if tower triangulation is no longer working. Can anyone steer me to a KNOWLEGABLE ATT support person that understands that web surfing and email retrieval will not result in 4.11 GB of download in one day? they also have to acknowledge that the iPad report of data consumed is valid. I've offered screen shots and iPad logs to prove the problem but none of the 7 or so ATT people I talked with had any idea what they would do with the data. I have filed a trouble ticket with Apple Care - they agree that the data download numbers on the iPad should match ATT numbers, and that 4.188 GB in one day would only happen with something like 4 hours of video streaming.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: Gross Errors in ATT data metering for iPad data plan

Could there have been a backlog on reporting from AT&T's side that they caught up on? Maybe it was a few days usage...
djswartz
join:2002-05-23
Fort Lauderdale, FL

djswartz

The iPad shows realtime usage in settings. The ATT numbers should agree but they are nearly 4 times higher.

Some additional info: this is the new post-paid data plan that must be arranged by telephone and canceled by telephone. After canceling the run-away plan, my iPad no longer connects to ATT as it did fresh out of the box. I believe it should be possible to subscribe to the pe-paid plan from the iPad settings menu without being in a wifi reception area. Mine will no longer do this. Apple Care tells me I will need to get a new sim from ATT.
djswartz

djswartz

I just received a new bill from ATT. They updated their claim for data usage to 9.7GB and charged an additional $80 for the overage. I got them to remove the charge but it is still unsettling that their metering can be so far off. The Ipad still reports 1.2GB used.

W4DRA
D a v e
join:2003-06-02
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

I Just Ordered

I just ordered AT&T Wireless Broadband and going to compare it to Sprint Mobile Broadband. Its the only choice I have here in the sticks of Dunnellon Florida. BTW Hello Jim in Va.

Dave
W4DRA

W4DRA

Re: I Just Ordered

Well I ordered this thing on the 7th of the month and it still isn't here. I sure hope the service isn't as bad as the delevery system!

How is customer support with this outfit? or does anyone read the fourm?
W4DRA

W4DRA

Need some help....

My home has metal siding and its real difficult to get a signal inside my home. I want to put a external antenna for the AT&T modem. Its a USB308 by Sierra Wireless. Problem is I cant find out if I need a 850Mhz antenna or a 1900mhz antenna.

Can anyone help with this? I called AT&T and was on the phone for 38 minutes and they couldn't tell me. My Zip code is 34433 if that will help in anyway.

Thanks
Dave
RogerD
join:2008-07-15
Fort Lauderdale, FL

RogerD

Has at&t Wireless been breached?

I have two accounts with at&t Wireless. Each account is set with a different, unique eMail address used exclusively with these accounts. They have been set this way for years. Monday I got two eMails from an attorney about a Your Baby Can Read lawsuit. Each addressed to one of these addresses.

I called at&t support and was told they have no security department to handle such issues. The rep claims to have checked with her supervisor as well. ???

From my view, either at&t has been breached or an employee has done some data mining to earn a few extra bucks. Unfortunately both accounts use my main credit card for payment. But I always keep a close eye on charges and I do have credit monitoring in place.

Anyone else seen this happen?

W4DRA
D a v e
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

External antenna for AT&T Broadband Mobile

OK after some research for frequency and antennas I came up with a antenna that takes all the guess work out of it.
Wilson Tri-Band Yagi 700Mhz - 2500Mhz (Verizon/Sprint/Alltel/AT&T) - 304411
Before I was getting speeds that were ok but not the best it could be. My signal was only 1-2 bars and about 92dbm.
Now I am at 4-5 bars and 72-80dbm. It took a little work to aim the antenna but well worth the effort. PLUS the people at 3gstore was very helpful in me making this all come together.
ALso when installing this antenna, don't use a cheap coax cable. I used LMR400 cable. I tried the Belden 9913 and there was a noticeable loss in that cable. Also keep you cable runs as short as you can to prevent cable loss.

»3gstore.com/product/2792 ··· 411.html

W4DRA

W4DRA

Post your HSPA+ speeds for June.

jweek
Premium Member
join:1999-08-27
Sparks, NV

jweek

Premium Member

Re: Post your HSPA+ speeds for June.

W4DRA
D a v e
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4914.png
W4DRA

W4DRA

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion to W4DRA

Premium Member

to W4DRA
Wow, are those from real HSPA+ devices? There are only two on the network, the rest are HSPA 14.4 and slower. The Infuse and Shockwave are the only two HSPA+ 21 devices.

Here is my Motorola Atrix "4G" w/ HSPA 14.4

This what the difference a real HSPA+ phone makes...

W4DRA
D a v e
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

Re: Post your HSPA+ speeds for June.

W4DRA

W4DRA

jweek
Premium Member
join:1999-08-27
Sparks, NV

jweek to W4DRA

Premium Member

to W4DRA

W4DRA
D a v e
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

W4DRA

W4DRA

W4DRA

W4DRA

tman852
Columbus, OH

tman852 to W4DRA

to W4DRA
I went ahead and cancelled my account. Speeds dropped off dramatically, and latency was spiking in upwards of 7000ms. Yes, 7 seconds. After trying different modems, different SIM cards of other accounts, and different software/firmware versions it was obvious the problem was not on my end. Also just got a letter in the mail that At&t DSL is now available on my road and will be ready to order within the month (so they say).

Mhs184
@broadlink.com.np

Mhs184

Anon

rx & tx

Click for full size
Can you explain me the attached information? Ethernet is the fiber link, 5 Ghz is backhaul, I want to know why is rx & tx of 2.4Ghz so low and what is the cause?

W4DRA
D a v e
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

Post your HSPA+ speeds for July

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
W4DRA

W4DRA

Post your HSPA+ speeds for August

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

[NEWS] Sprint Users Consume The Most Data

»Sprint Users Consume The Most Data [46] comments - posted on the home page
roveer
join:2004-01-18
Mendham, NJ

roveer

Can I use an AT&T 4g USB adapter with win xp and ICS?

We just lost our fios in a twisted mess that will take a week to unravel. I need to get my small office running again. I used to have a PCMCIA card in a kyocera Router which I could connect and redirect my 4 office pcs and exchange server to.

Can I put a AT&T 4g USB card on a win xp laptop and turn on ICS to achieve the same result? I just change the gateway and dns on the network router to point at the ICS laptop. Will this work?

Roveer
roveer

roveer

Re: Can I use an AT&T 4g USB adapter with win xp and ICS?

Got it to work!!!

Went out today and got a 4g card, put it on Win 7 mac mini and turned on ICS. Added a few ports for Blackberry Enterprise server, put the whole thing in front of my Checkpoint router and shebang, it's running like a charm. Internet on desktop pc's, exchange email (via pop3 connector) and BES to blackberries.

Now I can take a breath and wait for verizon to restring all that damaged fiber out on the street!
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

HSPA+ ?

If at&t is showing 4g at say my house does that mean I have 4g or I might if they have the backhaul there site is pretty vague. Thank's
bcltoys

bcltoys

Re: HSPA+ ?

Well got the shockwave on Sep,1 my house is one and half miles inside of 4g and i'm getting sub edge number's 56k 75k down less then that up and 6000ms on ping, antenna no help or amp back it go's. Will stay with Verizon.

W4DRA
D a v e
Dunnellon, FL

W4DRA

Post your HSPA+ speeds for September

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

zhane
@mycingular.net

zhane

Anon

Flash and Videos Stops Loading on 3g

I'm using an N95-8gb and whenever I'm on 3g (hspda and umts, tried it with hspda off also) and try to watch a video or use the flash in browser it always stops loading. When i switch it over to edge network it works fine but unbearably slow as you would expect. Anyone else have this issue? Also I never have actual 3g speeds, when i run test my download never gets above .60 mbps and my upload is always between .10 ~ .20 mbps I think at&t is blocking video cause they refuse to actually fix the problems in this area.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next