site
spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

forum logo About
Virgin Mobile Broadband - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 11 · 12 · 13 · next
Dropped_MC

join:2002-06-25
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Has anyone gotten the $40 unlimited deal?

Here's their official news release about it:
»virginmobileusa.marketwire.com/e···stom_124

Text:
Virgin Mobile USA Moves to $40 Unlimited Offer for Prepaid Mobile Broadband2Go

WARREN, N.J. – August 24, 2010 – Virgin Mobile USA recognized early on the value in expanding the mobile broadband market to include nationwide prepaid service with the introduction of the Broadband2Go portfolio last year, and then launch of the MiFi™ 2200 device in June. Now, Virgin Mobile is bolstering the Broadband2Go portfolio with a new $40 unlimited mobile broadband plan. Available tomorrow online and rolling out at retail in the coming weeks, the new offer replaces the previous $20, $40 and $60 plans, allowing consumers to access unlimited internet use at home or on-the-go for $40 per month. The $10 option for 100 MB, good for 10 days from purchase, remains for less frequent internet users.

A recent study from the U.S. Department of Labor shows that the self-employed and independent workers represent approximately 30% of the nation’s workforce. The study determined that this segment of the self-employed population, consisting mainly of small business owners and freelancers, represents a large market of consumers who need to stay connected, mainly with email and internet browsing, without the constraints of a contract.

“Many unlimited broadband offerings require a contract or are on networks with limited range, so they don’t meet the need for flexibility or true mobility,” said Neil Lindsay, chief marketing officer, Virgin Mobile USA. “The introduction of Virgin Mobile’s prepaid unlimited broadband for $40 a month will provide the access you need on a nationwide network without a contract.”

New Broadband2Go Plans
Signing up for the new unlimited plan also means customers no longer need to monitor data usage – and try to figure out how much they need --

Price Expires MBs/GBs* Web Browsing Video Emails
$40 1 month Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited

$10 10 Days 100 MB 5 HRS 25 MIN 10,000

*Data usage per activity is based on average use. Actual usage varies depending on the types of websites, video, email and other Internet applications accessed.

Broadband2Go activation remains simple and without fees. Customers who are currently signed up for the $20, $40 and $60 plans will be able to use up the data or time (whichever comes first) on their current plans. The next time they need Broadband2Go, they will have the choice of these two plans.

Top-Up can still be handled online, with a Virgin Mobile Top-Up card, debit or credit card.

Operating on the Sprint Nationwide Network and developed in conjunction with Novatel Wireless [NASDAQ: NVTL], Virgin Mobile offers two different mobile broadband devices on both plans as part of the Broadband2Go portfolio:
the Ovation™ MC760 USB device connects to a single personal computer or laptop and is available at retail for $79.99 and,
the MiFi® 2200, the nation’s first prepaid Mobile Intelligent Hotspot, priced at $149.99 allows up to five users at a time to connect using a variety of Wi-Fi enabled devices

Devices are available at Best Buy, RadioShack , Sprint Stores, Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile stores, Walmart and online at BestBuy.com, Target.com, Walmart.com and VirginMobileUSA.com.
The website as of this morning still does not show this plan anywhere. Sounds too good to be true, but if it is true, count me in.
--
Old setup: Wilson omni, Cellmate 2000, Pantech PX-500 in Linksys WRT543G3-ST.
New setup: Parabolic grid, Cyfre CA-819, Sierra 598U in Cradlepoint MBR1000.
Thanks to Jim_in_VA for the tips!
laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

1 edit

Re: Has anyone gotten the $40 unlimited deal?

Well, so far, so BAD... I have my MC760 but despite the coverage maps is only showing 1xrtt not EVDO. I haven't seen any evidence of the plan changes on Virgin's web page so am reluctant to sign-up.

I have to decide I guess if I want to invest further, in an outdoor antenna, to see if I can get EVDO at my location. And maybe by that time Virgin will have their act together.
--
HN7000S v5.8.0.82 Home Plan, G13/H1@127W, 1110MHz 33Msps, SigTyp 72, 10-20clients & 6+OSes
tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1
I have a -66 signal at my location with Rev A on sprint, but so far I haven't seen VM's new plan change on their website. Maybe they just haven't totally updated everything yet and you have to call to get signed up. It's obvious it's going to happen, the news release of the new plan is on their site, you just can't select it yet.
Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

I was thinking the same thing, but can't call. It hasn't been my week- my landline went out yesterday while the phone co. was working on my neighbor's line. Still not fixed as of now.

I did send an email & got an automated reply promising an answer within 24 hours.
Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Well, I'd pay them money.. to pay them money. The only broadband # on their site is for existing accounts & tech support.

Here's one reason why we're in financial trouble in this country:
Company #1 screws you over by changing your contract overnight with no notice.
End result: loss of customers/revenue.

Company #2 kinda-sorta advertises a better deal, offered only online, but fails to update their website and gives you limited means to contact them about it. Their product/service is effectively vaporware or as the car people say made out of unobtanium.
End result: Impossible for new customers to obtain service, loss of potential revenue.

This plan should be selling like cold drinks in the middle of summer here in Florida.

From their website's contact page:
Talk to Us
Live Representatives are available
4 am PST - 9 pm PST
7 days a week

No Annual Contract:
1-888-322-1122

Contract:
1-888-884-3546

Broadband:
1-877-877-8443

Assurance Wireless:
1-888-321-5880

And to top it off, the phone company says my repair ticket from yesterday was closed with no comment. I call again today, and the rep asks "Are you still having the problem?" Why would I call you if it was working? To thank you for the exceptional service or the fees that make my $30 phone service $62/month?

Here's your sign!
--
Sprint MBB shafted me after 2+ years. Notified of the 5GB cap on Monday, over it on Tuesday
Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

This does not look good for this new Super Deal as people were proclaiming . None of it makes any sense. Grandfathered Sprint customers who have been with them for years are getting letters threatening to cut them off for using over 5GB when they had no limit . Yet they are offering this new service for 20 ++ dollars a month less with unlimited service. I am confused at what Sprint is doing.
Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I finally got through to a human being. Called the no contract # above and got transferred to the broadband dept. after answering some voice prompts and talking to an operator.

The broadband dept. guy said the $40 plan had some "system issues" but I could buy a device at Radio Shack or Wal Mart and start using it w/o a contract and then go to the $40 unlimited plan when it is available (hopefully within a couple of days).

Seems kind of iffy at this point. Why not have the thing tested before putting out a news release with a specific date on it? Sorry, more logical thinking on my part.
--
Sprint MBB shafted me after 2+ years. Notified of the 5GB cap on Monday, over it on Tuesday
tman852

Hopefully it works out soon. I don't want to buy a device and then some random problem come up that prevents this deal from happening.
laserfan

Texas
I just activated my new MC760, and now when I Connect, because I have not yet signed-up for a plan I'm taken directly to Virgin's "pick your plan" page. So obviously as SS says they are having system problems, and I will just check-in every few hours until the new signup page is in place.

I've no doubt it's gonna happen, the question at this point is of course "when". So far I'm only invested to $75 (the MC760 on sale, plus state sales tax, at Radio Shack).
tman852

ITS CONFIRMED. I looked and its on the home page, but not on the other page in drop down menu, when you click on the link it's messed up though, they must be right in the middle of updating everything and getting it rolling. WOOOOO!!!!
Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL

I'm now on VM BB, so goodbye Sprint & their annoying email usage messages.

Speed is a little slower, but I haven't tweaked the antenna as yet.

New user name as well.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

SOOOOO, what plan did you choose then ? ? ?

said by Dropped_MC:

I'm now on VM BB, so goodbye Sprint & their annoying email usage messages.

Speed is a little slower, but I haven't tweaked the antenna as yet.

New user name as well.
laserfan

Texas
said by Dropped_MC:

I'm now on VM BB, so goodbye Sprint
And how'd you do this--I just checked a minute ago and they still show the old plan chart.

The good news for me is that pre-activation I thought I was 1 bar 1xrtt but post-activation I'm 3 bars EVDO and the icon sez 3.1Mbps. Of course, I won't know reality til I'm on a plan and able to speedtest.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

What icon are you referring to saying 3.1mbps?
If you're not on a dataplan yet, there is not way you could be doing speed analysis.

said by laserfan:

said by Dropped_MC:

I'm now on VM BB, so goodbye Sprint
And how'd you do this--I just checked a minute ago and they still show the old plan chart.

The good news for me is that pre-activation I thought I was 1 bar 1xrtt but post-activation I'm 3 bars EVDO and the icon sez 3.1Mbps. Of course, I won't know reality til I'm on a plan and able to speedtest.
laserfan

Texas

2 edits

said by compuguybna:

What icon are you referring to
Virgin's "Mobile Broadband Connection" icon in the system tray, of course (by hovering over it). And as I already said, I know it's not a true speedtest.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

What you are probably seeing is the TOTAL MB the device has transmitted during activation/updating PRL's and etc......

It probably says 3.1MB or mb.(megabytes)

Again, no way a device without a data plan can be doing speed tests. A speed test would be designated as 3.1mbps (megabits per second).

said by laserfan:

said by compuguybna:

What icon are you referring to
Virgin's "Mobile Broadband Connection" icon in the system tray, of course (by hovering over it). And as I already said, I know it's not a true speedtest.
laserfan

Texas

said by compuguybna:

What you are probably seeing is the TOTAL MB the device has transmitted during activation/updating PRL's and etc......It probably says 3.1MB or mb.(megabytes) Again, no way a device without a data plan can be doing speed tests. A speed test would be designated as 3.1mbps (megabits per second).
Thanks, but next time, tell me something I don't already know.

This morning the new plans are up and so am I:

FailNet

@direcpc.com

Congrats! What ISP you have before, and how does it compare? Did activation go smoothly?

Also, Is your ping around 400ms on average?
I am hoping for at most 250ms. I know it probably won't get 100ms as this is Sprint. The unlimited data is what I'm really looking forward to with this plan, though.

Thanks for sharing!
laserfan

Texas

2 edits

said by FailNet :

Congrats! What ISP you have before, and how does it compare? Did activation go smoothly? Also, Is your ping around 400ms on average?
I still have Hughes satellite (for the time being); Broadband2Go feels just stupid-fast compared to HN, especially with https sites (owing to much better latency I guess). Activation was easy, except for the curve ball thrown at me by the "1xRTT before activation, EVDO after". Makes for a Catch-22: you don't really want to activate if you don't know it will work, but you can't know if you have decent EVDO until after you activate!

Installation of software was a bitch; of 4 PCs I tried it on, had trouble installing on 3 of the 4 (only easy one was a W7 machine). Eventually got it working on all four but was something of a PIA. The MC760 is really a funky gizmo: it connects as a CD-drive (read-only that is) which has the software & manual on it, and then as a Removable Drive (for the mmc card), and finally as a Modem, so there is a LOT going-on wrt drivers & installation. I spent alot of time in the Device Manager until I got all the kinks worked-out. Meanwhile...

Ping times have not changed. I should point-out that I am 4 miles as-the-crow-flies from my tower.

I'm meeting with a friend tomorrow to play w/the MC760 at his location. I will recommend to him for sure, but then again he is on a different tower! Otherwise I ain't sayin' nuthin' to nobody here!
laserfan

Texas
Today's result. Still wicked-fast compared to Hughesnet; comparable to testing I did some weeks ago using Verizon (tower very near Sprint's). Of course, this is early a.m. and speeds vary thruout the day:

FailNet

@direcpc.com

I'll get my device in a few days. Thanks for keeping us posted on your results!

Oh, and did VMobile just go up a star in their rating? I thought it was 1.0/5 yesterday.

fitzhem

join:2005-08-25
Middletown, VA
Good to know speed is decent.

Just ordered through RadioShack. Will see how it goes...
Freep

join:2010-08-20
Round Hill, VA
Does the 760 have an external antenna slot/connector?
Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL

Yes it does. I'm using the same pigtail as I was on the Sierra 598. They're very similar.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
The VM connection software shows a connection speed when you connect the their network. It doesn't mean anything in terms of Internet speed, just the speed one is connected to their tower.

VM devices will ALWAYS show 1xRTT until they are activated. You cannot adequately test signal without activating the modem.
tman852

It should be the same as sprint speeds...it's sprint towers and network, just paying a different subsidiary company owned by sprint to allow you access to their network.
Freep

join:2010-08-20
Round Hill, VA
Just plopped down $70 at Radio Shack for the USB760. I'll try it out when I get home. I'm in a 'fringe' Sprint area but worst-case scenario it doesn't work and I sell the dongle and go with Millenicom.

jweek
Premium
join:1999-08-27
Reno, NV

price is good
performance is crap!

jweek
Premium
join:1999-08-27
Reno, NV

said by jweek:

price is good
performance is crap!

better speeds this morning..

FailNet

@direcpc.com

Cool, let's hope your initial speed test was a rare instance.
Keep us posted

perki

join:2008-12-01
Santa Maria, CA
i get that kinda speed on my virgin mobile phone!!!

••••
wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
That is Sprint tower congestion or poor signal. Welcome to mobile broadband it is that way everywhere. No consistancy

•••••
wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
I find that strange too.

That latency is normal for Sprint.
tman852

2 edits
Honestly those speeds would work fine for everything besides real time apps like gaming which would need to be less than 120 ping times or your in for nothing but problems, plus the ping jitter in sprint varies a lot too, bounces around by 20-30 regularly. I wish At&t had better prepaid with unlimited....my work aircard gets 5+ mbps download here and 1.5mbps upload with 90 ping times but has the traditional 5GB limit...at least Virgin MBB will fill in for the unlimited part. When I had sprint with millenicom I got about 1.5mbps down, .7 up, 200-250 ping times. Sprint's latency just isn't that great unless it's their few and far between fiber towers.
wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
I think their MiFi looks like a good deal. I'm going to pick up one today. On one end of my house I have excellent signal on the other almost no signal. Since we only have two computers seems like a good option...

dondude

join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

Working good here. Got $40.00 unlimited plan today with my mifi from wally world.

JCH

@cox.net
Got the Novatel MC760 USB version today here in Florida via RadioShack (they had a $10 off instant coupon).

Unlike my Millenicom U727 (with Sprint service), it did not work in a VM. I was able to temp install the software in a Win7x64 environment to activate (that was fast and easy), then plugged it into one of my CradlePoint routers.

The Novatel MC760 is smaller than a U727, and has an external antenna jack. It looks "cheap" in comparison. It connected to the same tower as the U727, got roughly the same signal strength, but disconnects every time I manually updated the signal strength on the router. It does not do nearly as well speed and latency wise as the U727 (almost unusable so far). I have seen it spurt up to Sprint like speed (over 1mbs) a couple of times. Perhaps I got a bad one...

The home agent is in San Francisco, completely on the other side of the continent.

Still, I think it is their first day of service... perhaps they will get the kinks out in short order.

I do wonder how long the "unlimited" will last. No contract means no contract (and we already know a contract for "unlimited" is worthless anyway).

I'm keeping my millenicom, and keeping my ROCKING Alltel (bought by Verizon, where I still get a grandfathered "unlimited" printed on my bill, but i have never really tested them on it).

All in all, I rate the Alltel (Verizon) service way out in front, Sprint (Mellinicom) a long second.

I do wonder about the Mellinicom "unlimited". I got it a long time ago (before the notice on their site about going over 20gb), and wonder if I really do have "unlimited", or if I would get throttled or canned if I really tested them on it.

If I can get Virgin to work, I do plan to test them

J

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

2 edits
Anyone having issues with graphics and ads loading? Might be a problem with DSL Reports other sites non issue?
jfd15

join:2008-01-07
West Sacramento, CA
so what's the initial cost - just $70 modem and $40 first month or a bunch of additional fees? may be worth a test as my Franklin 680 seems to have some troubles lately anyway...

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by jfd15:

so what's the initial cost - just $70 modem and $40 first month or a bunch of additional fees? may be worth a test as my Franklin 680 seems to have some troubles lately anyway...
Just a modem and either a top up card (doesn't matter if it says broadband or minutes as long as the value adds up to 10 or 40... you can stack multiple ones on your account) or you can use your credit card with them as well ... no other fees... used it off and on for months.

1. when you try to register you will feel like you are on a 300 baud modem while the registration page loads.

2. when your 30 days are up poof the connection is gone until you add another 30 days.
jfd15

join:2008-01-07
West Sacramento, CA

1 edit

thanks dib22....

looks like the Cradlepoint 1000 supports Virgin Mobile and the mc760 device - with 2 modems @ $80/month might be able to get some decent speeds too, maybe >1.6 mbps safely.....only $10/mo more than my current "unlimited" at Millenicom and likely better speeds and closer to true "unlimited"...

wondering what the likely limit is on any tower, 3 mbps if no one else is using?
Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
After a couple of days of use, I have come to the following conclusions for me:

1. Connection quality is not as good as Sprint. I'm having to reload pages often (blank or missing graphics as another member noted above), and when I check email, a couple of accounts always time out. Not sure if this is the carrier or the modem (was using a Sierra 598u with Sprint).

2. Customer service via email is non-existent. I have asked two questions and gotten nothing but an automated response.

Unless this improves, as soon as this leverages the other carriers to the same or a similar price deal, I'll probably change again.
--
Current setup: Parabolic grid, Cyfre CA-819, MC760 in Cradlepoint MBR1000.
Sprint MBB shafted me after 2+ years. Notified of the 5GB cap on Monday, over it on Tuesday, so I'm now with VM unlimited for $20 less/month.

••••••

FailNet

@opera-mini.net

$40 Unlimited

So I bought a Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go MiFi 2200 from Wal-Mart with shipping + tax for $130.

I like the idea of no activation fees, roaming, lower latency (compared to satellite), prepaid/no contract, and best of all: no bandwidth cap for $40.

Seems too good to be true. And perhaps in time it will be. But me, well, I'm willing to try something different. I'm on Hughesnet, and will continue with it if/until I feel comfortable with Virgin Mobile and their new plan.

Here is my voice coverage:

I was told this was what I should look at instead of data (Nice guide here thanks to Jim_in_VA).

So we'll see how this goes. I'm cautiously optimistic here. Let us know if you get the plan and what you think of it.

••••

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Any EVDO experts? Is it possible to have 5 bars...

Any EVDO experts? Is it possible to have 5 bars... and get a very slow downstream and a very fast upstream?

In one rural area I can have 5 bars... get 5-10kbps down while still getting 400-700kbps upstream.

This entire area was getting faster download speeds (1000kbps down) months before.... upload has always been good.

I can 'relocate' several miles north south east and west of the area and it works normally...perhaps a tower fault?

I have tried contacting Virgin Mobile and their support 'script' seems to end without anything getting solved.

Anyone know a good site with accurate sprint tower locations/colocations?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

BrandonNPal

@spcsdns.net

Virgin Mobile USB Install Error, Help Anyone?

I have tried installing my MC760 and once it installs it says found new hardware & then your software has installed but might not work property, the virgin mobile manger doesn't pop to download software, I even went to my computer but it wasn't there. Then.. went to "My computer - right click "properties" - hardware then device manger. There is a yellow icon like this "!" and it says something with a error with this "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Does anyone know what to do? VM doesn't provide drivers from there website.

&& I am also using Millenicom as my internet and using the same device, "U760"

••••••••••••••••••
haresear

join:2010-03-05
Montrose, CO

Will Virgin Mobile's MC760 modem work in a router?

After reading about some install problems, I am wondering if Virgin Mobile's version of this modem will work in a router without using the special dialer software that comes on the modem?

•••••••••••

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

Post your September Virgin Mobile Speeds

So far today service is very snappy, 8:45 east coast time. Guess we'll see what happens when west coast wakes up.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Anonomous

@mo.us

Free Modem

Is there anyway I could get a free modem to try out before buying?

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

Re: Free Modem

Buy at radio shack or wally world try it out. You can return it, couple guys already have.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
Yea as dondude said... basically make sure of the store's/websites return policy... you'll only be out the 40 bucks for the unlimited plan...or if your totally unsure and just testing performance etc get the 10 dollar plan for 100 meg...but dont do too many speeds tests 100 megs is very very very little data

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..

NY times article on VM unlimited service

Here's a positive sounding article in the the NY times...not certain how realistic it is?

»finance.yahoo.com/news/Your-Own-···608.html
--
ex Hughesnet customer - thank goodness!

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Re: NY times article on VM unlimited service

couple of things that jumped out at me...

Is it the speed? No. You’re getting exactly the same 3G speed you’d get on rival cellular modems and MiFi’s. That is, about as fast as a DSL modem.
that's a serious generalization... and in fact as we have seen the first few days of the unlimited pricing... the routing that virgin uses is different than the routing sprint uses when connected from the same tower. don't get me wrong I like virgin mobile but that sentence is just over simplifies things too much.

Second, the Virgin MiFi can’t plug directly into your computer’s U.S.B. port to act as a wired cellular modem, like other carriers’ MiFi units. You can connect to it only wirelessly, if you care. (You can still charge it from your computer’s U.S.B. jack, but very slowly. A wall outlet or car adapter is a much better bet.)
well that is the answer I got when I picked up a MiFi but in fact you can use it as a wired cellular modem. once you plug it in it presents a "virtual drive" from where you can install drivers to use it as a wired cellular modem.

ruraltn

join:2008-05-16

Do You Get An Unrouteable IP With Virgin Mobile?

There is a post over in the Millenicom forum by a member who said that when he tried VM, he got an unrouteable IP.

"The service is a virtualized sprint account (I think your are sharing a single account with others), and you get a non-routable IP (like 10.x.x.x), meaning a lot of stuff is not going to work right (port forwards for one thing, dyndns another)."

Is this correct, or was this a temporary thing while they were getting set up?

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Re: Do You Get An Unrouteable IP With Virgin Mobile?

Thats correct you are connected to their LAN which is in turn connected to the internet.

I haven't had any software have problems with it (with the exception of a cisco vpn client a few months back that works properly now).

Of course... you won't be hosting any servers with this config

dib22

Kansas City, MO
For the last 2 days I have been getting a real routable IP address... (as have others in this forum) if this is their fix for the recent growing pains then the answer to your question is now:

No... you now get a real routable sprint ip address.

DNS was and still is being proxied by sprint (this is the way they have always done it nothing new).

Thought I would update it for those interested.

jethrt

join:2002-12-21
Whitwell, TN

Post Your Server Location

Props to VM/Sprint for getting the browsing fixed. Let's see what servers they are using. Mine is Philadelphia, PA.
--
Millenicom Franklin CDU-680, MBR 100, Virgin Mobile Mifi

••••••••••

jethrt

Whitwell, TN

Full Fledged Forum

Justin, we need our own forum. Starting to get a lot of traffic in here.
--
Millenicom Franklin CDU-680, MBR 100, Virgin Mobile Mifi

•••••
Chuck35

join:2009-06-04

Paypal

For the broadband2go I see Paypal listed as a payment method, but credit cards are the only option. Did I miss something?
Has anyone managed to register their Paypal acct as a payment method?
FailNet

join:2010-09-02

1 edit

Re: Paypal

It seems they're slowly phasing out support for it but they haven't updated their site and FAQ (their PayPal link is dead). When I registered my payment method I saw a PayPal logo as supported, but I wasn't actually able to see an option in the form for PayPal and I don't see the logo anymore.

What I'm probably gonna end up doing is paying for a refill/top-up card from a 3rd-party site with PayPal. I signed up using PayPal's virtual credit card service (which is going to expire later this month).

compuguybna

Nashville, TN

2 edits

Post your USAGE stats (Lifetime)

what's your usage since you got your device?

My usage was 2652688 which is ~ 2.5GB.

you can use an online conversion to convert kB to GB.

••••••••••••
FailNet

join:2010-09-02

How to see true signal of connection?

I read somewhere about installing Sprint software to see the true signal/bars of your connection. Which software do I install?

I have a VirginMobile Mifi 2200.

Thanks

••••••••

jethrt

Whitwell, TN

Xbox 360 Moderate NAT with Mifi

Anyway to fix this?

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Re: Xbox 360 Moderate NAT with Mifi

I did a little digging and with most routers the solution is to put the XBOX in the DMZ (basically bypassing any of the routers firewall and putting it out there on the internet itself) or to enable UPNP.

The MiFi (with it's current firmware) doesn't seem to have any DMZ ability or UPNP (which is a good thing since upnp over wifi is usually a security nightmare).

It also looks like microsoft says certain ports could be forwarded to make it work (this article »support.xbox.com/support/en/us/n···cid=1033 ) but once again if you look in the MiFi config page (Advanced -> Port Forwarding) there doesn't appear to be a way to build any custom port forwards on the MiFi.

I think also the way Virgin Mobile has us on a virtual lan might keep it from working even if the Mifi had a DMZ ability. Perhaps someone using a cradlepoint and a mc760 and an xbox can chime in if they have had any luck... if they have then it might be possible on Virgin Mobile broadband... but still won't be possible on the MiFi with its current firmware.
aesso

join:2002-07-02
Miami, FL

Cisco VPN connectivity on Virgin Mobile

Has anyone had any success connecting to a Cisco VPN using the Virgin Mobile service?

I have been trying since the day I got my MiFi 2200 to connect to my company's VPN. I have a laptop running Cisco VPN Client 5.0.04.0300 and a Linux desktop running vpnc. I have no problem when using my home broadband connection, I've connected in hotels when I'm traveling, and I even borrowed two Verizon devices (a Novatel MiFi 2200 and a Novatel USB760 stick) and had no trouble.

When I'm connected through Virgin, I can sign on to the VPN, it creates the tunnel, says I'm connected, etc., then once I am connected, I can't access anything on my company's internal network at all -- no DNS, no access to servers or printers, can't ping or tracert anything at all, even if I type the IP addresses manually. No troubles with Comcast at home, hotel wifi, or with the Verizon broadband devices I tested. I don't think any of the traffic is being passed through to the VPN because I don't see any packets being sent or received through the VPN Adapter network connection (or through the tun0 interface in Linux). I've connected to the MiFi both via wi-fi and directly via USB (and using DUN to connect) and I get the same results.

So now, I'm at a loss. Any ideas how to get this to work? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

••••••••••••••••••••••
GSchenck6

join:2004-07-27
Cuttyhunk, MA

Anyone seeing Broadband2Go software UI hanging at times?

I've been testing the VM Broadband2Go running 24*7. I had some problems locking onto 1xRTT but an external antenna fixed that and it now seems to reliably lock on EVDO Rev A. To keep the antenna cable short and allow sharing of the connection I'm connecting the modem to a old XP laptop that was kicking around and using MS' Internet Connection Sharing I in turn connect the PC via the wired LAN connection to a hub to allow me to connect a couple of PCs.

All works great. Generally happy with the performance now although evenings still see a slow down to .3 meg download or so.

Anyway, the problem I'm seeing is that sometimes the Broadband2Go software seems to lock up. The user interface becomes unresponsive. At the same time, the internet connection continues to work fine both on the PC and via ICS. What is odd is that eventually (many hours later) the lockup seems to resolve itself and the UI again functions.

My question is has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks

•••••
laserfan

Texas

Disconnects while downloading

Does anyone else here have trouble maintaining a connection when downloading large files? When I try to download a large iPod Touch app it seems the Virgin loses its connection at about the 80Mb mark, and iTunes errors-out (fortunately I can restart the download from where it stopped).

Anyone seen this outside of iTunes? Maybe is just an iTunes problem?

••••

sgr123

@209.236.250.x

MC760 external antenna

I am thinking of adding an external antenna for better reception in rural area. Does anyone have experience/comment adding external antenna?
Test99
Premium
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Re: MC760 external antenna

See: »evdotips.blogspot.com/2008/10/pa···nna.html

I have used the U760 on the Sprint network with a grid antenna. It works well.
wareagletsf
Premium
join:2006-05-17
Hartford, CT

Device availability

Here in CT almost all of the stores are sold out or have very limited quantities if they are in the fringe areas, had to order mine from VM directly. any body else experience this?