dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
forum logo
Virgin Mobile Broadband - automatic discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum
propose this in site feedback.
Customer? write a review
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 12 · 13 · 14 · next

BrittleBrick
@sprintbbd.net

BrittleBrick

Anon

Port Forwarding with Cradlepoint?

Is this true?

Someone on another forum posted:

"The best and simpliest way to the port forwarding is to get a wireless router from CradlePoint and plug in your Mifi into it, I got mine from here »www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint , with a router you will only need to setup the wireless connection once and any user on any computer can connect via wifi or ethernet. You will also be able to custom your port forwarding features, allow load balance, and prioritize traffic, its so easy even a cavemen can do it.

Order from 3gstore.com You want to be able to get the best tech support especially when it comes to port fowarding > Get the router and turn it on > Connect your verizon card to the rotuer > 15 seconds your connected just connect to the wifi like you would at a coffe shop."

I know this guy is trying to get customers, but is it true that I can have custom port forwarding through this router? Will this get around the strict NAT message I get on XBOX Live? Mifi only has limited port forwarding options.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Re: Port Forwarding with Cradlepoint?

Yes you can use the VM mifi as a modem with a cradlepoint router. Works very well actually. And yes - cradlepoint has much more detailed port forwarding features than the standard mifi does. And you can connect more than 5 devices.

If you go mobile, just unplug the mifi and take it with you. Then plug it back in when you return.
Justin Time5
join:2010-08-31

Justin Time5

VM customer service asks for pin #?

Isn't that strange they need that to view your account status?

With acct. # and pin they have access to acct info including name, address (if you put it in there), phone number, DOB and last 4 digit of your cc if you have one on file.

Probably just me but the pin # is like a password and I'm accustomed to banks and cc companies advising never to give out a password even to their own customer service people.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Re: VM customer service asks for pin #?

The PIN number is the way sprint chose to meet the FCC requirements about "Disclosing Your Customer Information At Your Request". See this FCC Link.

All the US Celco companies adopted/adapted some form of account password method a few years back to meet the new standard.

Depending on the company (and which call center you land in it seems) sometime's they will help you troubleshoot without it... as the law only requires them to "verify" you when they are disclosing information about you or your usage.

The rule was put into place to try to stop phishing... people were calling in with a persons cell number and their social security number (most carriers used that as fall-back proof of who you were)... and would start gathering information on numbers who the person called or called them... pretending to be the customer. It was wildly abused by multiple groups from employers to thieves to private investigators.

Basically the PIN is letting Virgin Mobile know you are the authorized account holder... it's your "password" for your account with them.

As for them having the information... change it on the webpage... it does seem to be a lot of personal information to trust to a 6 digital numerical password

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna

Re: VM customer service asks for pin #?

ACTUALLY....the only information you were REQUIRED to
supply when you signed up for a Virgin Mobile Broadband were.

Your FIRST and LAST NAME.

your EMAIL ADDRESS (to get your activation information).

your DOB (which you could have put in ANYTHING).. It was just to verify you were 13 years of ace (required by law)

the PIN you created was just a code for them to VERIFY you were the person who was signed up for the account.

having a credit card on file is no different than any other service whether it be a home phone, electric, tv bill, ebay, paypal.

So, if you are worried about personal information being disclosed when you call for help, its because YOU keyed it in during activation!

If you were calling VRIGIN directly, I can't see the issue in giving them your PIN, you're asking for THEIR HELP, so they must have access to your account info?

DID I MISS SOMETHING IN THE OP??

P.S. When I cancelled my account, I just went back into the account screens and typed CANCELLED in every field, and deleted my cc, and chose "use top-up" cards.
wingman99
join:2003-12-18
Opelika, AL

wingman99

Does VM do traffic shaping on sprint network

Just wondering if sprint has priority over VM and it's a faster speed.

I don't know how all this works, my signal is strong and vary strong what speeds should i receive.

Also i cant stream you tube or hulu
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Re: Does VM do traffic shaping on sprint network

I have tried both sprint and VM simultaniously and both had the same speeds and latency. I believe the towers give priority on a first in, first out premise. As far as streaming- I successfully streamed a constant 10 min of netflix instand and youtube with no hiccups.

Though I do NOT condone regular video streaming on a mobile broadband card. I think it is selfish to do as others on the same tower will have issues with simple browsing as a result.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by kevnich24:

I have tried both sprint and VM simultaniously and both had the same speeds and latency. I believe the towers give priority on a first in, first out premise. As far as streaming- I successfully streamed a constant 10 min of netflix instand and youtube with no hiccups.

Though I do NOT condone regular video streaming on a mobile broadband card. I think it is selfish to do as others on the same tower will have issues with simple browsing as a result.
A very commendable belief. I feel the same way as I had some hogs on my tower. Too bad the me generation doesn't consider others when they are hog attacking the towers.

dondude
join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

dondude

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by kevnich24:

A very commendable belief. I feel the same way as I had some hogs on my tower. Too bad the me generation doesn't consider others when they are hog attacking the towers.
Jack when you gonna try Virgin Mobile? I cancelled my millenicom account, worst case i sign back up with my tail between my legs. Lol

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I don't think I will. I don't use that much and have the grandfathered Sprint unlimited and just want a stable connection. I have both Sprint and Verizon. I had Sprint first and it was fine until I acquired some real big time hogs. They seem to be gone now so I don't know which one to keep.
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608

Premium Member

if you want your own forum

post in »[request] virgin mobile forum

seems no ones objected so maybe a few sign would get one

kmontoyae1
@rr.com

kmontoyae1

Anon

VM MC760 software?!

ok so my moms friend plugged in and downloaded her vm mc760 on my moms laptop and suggested my mom get one. so my mom bought one and asked if i could install it for her. so when i plug it in nothing happens cause its already been installed. but i couldnt figure out how to change her friends info to my moms to activate my moms MC760. Her friend then told my mom to delete the program from the control panel. but now when i go to "reinstall" the program for the MC760 nothing happens and it asks for a cd.. ya i dont know what the heck happened. If anyone knows what i can do to fix this or if anyone knows where i can download the software please let me know.

Any help appreciated.

kmontoyae1

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Re: VM MC760 software?!

you most likely unchecked the "auto install" tick mark on the virgin mobile software after it was installed.... when you do that it doesn't present the virtual cd you need to get to the software.

This thread »Virgin Mobile USB Install Error, Help Anyone? has the windows and mac software in it.
derue
join:2003-07-23
Southington, OH

derue

Unable to use as server

In all cases below, internet and network access is flawless, it is just that I am unable to remote access using TightVNC when the host is connected via Virgin Mobile EVDO / MC760 modem, with or without a router involved.

Windows XP SP3 on both ends. Cradlepoint 900 router with ports 5900 and 5800 forwarded to reserved (fixed) IP of VNC host machine. Ports opened in WinXP firewall too. I can access machine from local network, but not via the internet from a machine using a different internet connection than VirginMobile (not attempting a loopback).

On the VNC host, if I Turn WinXP firewall off, direct-plug modem (MC760) into computer - still no connection. Pings to the machine from the internet fail too.

Plug modem into router. Set router to respond to ping on WAN interface - pings fail. Set router to remote management - no access to router from internet (used ports 8080 and 8888). Put VNC host machine in DMZ with firewall off - no connection.

Different third party 'What is My IP' sites all report the same IP for my machine. Command line query of IPCONFIG shows a DIFFERENT IP address (when direct plugged to modem). Also reports the default gateway as that same IP (machine IP = default gateway IP). Pings to this IP fail too.

Any Ideas?

TIA - NJD
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

Re: Unable to use as server

Any Ideas?
When I test my speeds at speedtest.net, and click on the "Your Results" button up-top of the page, I see alot of other tests for my IP address that I did not make. Thus it appears our IP address is shared, and can't be used with VNC.

If you or anyone else finds a way to make this work I'd certainly like to know how.
Chuck35
join:2009-06-04

Chuck35

So if one of these shared ip users gets busted downloading a movie, who gets the isp letter?
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852

They can probably match up the ESN or serial of the devices using certain IP's or something of that nature and figure out who's downloading things they shouldn't.
Chuck35

Chuck35

Don't top up early

The plan resets, and any unused time is lost.
Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99

Premium Member

Re: Don't top up early

said by Chuck35:

The plan resets, and any unused time is lost.
Argh! We should classify this feature as a bug.
Chuck35

Chuck35

This isn't a bug, they ripped me off. I lost a week. I also lost 30 minutes of my life running around in circles with people who don't speak English
Justin Time5

1 edit

Justin Time5 to Chuck35

to Chuck35
Happened to me, lost 2 days, using a top-up card. Called CS three times and got one day back. That was all the bad English my patience would allow.
It doesn't specify this anywhere but you are supposed to wait until the day it expires. (One rep said wait until 2 PM EST but who the h3ll knows)
Justin Time5

Justin Time5 to Chuck35

to Chuck35
I guess I'm just the suspicious type but sometimes I think these "bugs" are deliberate so you figure it's easier to register a credit card with your account and set it for auto-deduct.
Chuck35

Chuck35

said by Justin Time5:

I guess I'm just the suspicious type but sometimes I think these "bugs" are deliberate so you figure it's easier to register a credit card with your account and set it for auto-deduct.
Yeah, That was the solution they offered. They just screwed me out of 10 bucks, and I'm gonna let em write themselves checks out of my account? I think not.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

I am reluctant to let companies auto deduct payments too . I just feel better writing the check myself every month. Hopefully Sprint can work out these issues.
Chuck35

Chuck35

There sure are a lot of companies involved here. We have access to Sprint network, bought from Virgin Mobile thru Assurance wireless. None of them will give me back my lost week. I think I may download the entire internet.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22

said by Chuck35:

We have access to Sprint network, bought from Virgin Mobile thru Assurance wireless.
Assurance Wireless is virgin mobile's brand for their Lifeline Assistance program.
dib22

dib22 to Chuck35

to Chuck35
on the 3 devices/accounts I have access to I can add top up cards all day long and it never changes the service date...

and I cant change the service plan until the current one is expired... options are inactive... it has to be a bug of some sort...

I wonder why it doesn't do it to all the accounts?
my2k2zx2
join:2009-07-12
Hastings, MI

my2k2zx2 to Chuck35

to Chuck35
what happens after 30 days if its not set up for auto bil? is there a reconnect fee?

(parents looking to get one but I know they will forget to top up if I dont remind them. they do not want their card info online.)

dib22
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22

said by my2k2zx2:

what happens after 30 days if its not set up for auto bil? is there a reconnect fee?
It just shuts off the internet access. You can still get to the top up and account pages however (a bit slow but you can). The account itself stays around for around 12 months and after that you would need to create a new account.

No fee other than usage... all tax included etc.

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

said by dib22:

said by my2k2zx2:

It just shuts off the internet access. You can still get to the top up and account pages however (a bit slow but you can). The account itself stays around for around 12 months and after that you would need to create a new account.

No fee other than usage... all tax included etc.
Why do you need to create a new account every 12 months? As long as you hav3e top -upped recently, wouldn't that negate the need to create a new account?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

said by DeeC:

Why do you need to create a new account every 12 months?
You wouldn't... every time you activate another plan inside the 12 months it resets the 12 month counter... the account would cancel itself and require re-setup 12 months after your last top up expires.
As long as you hav3e top -upped recently, wouldn't that negate the need to create a new account?
That's correct... unless you wait > 12 months between top ups. Not that it really matters... worst case you get assigned a new MDN/MSID and those don't really matter on a data card!

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

said by dib22:

said by DeeC:

Why do you need to create a new account every 12 months?
You wouldn't... every time you activate another plan inside the 12 months it resets the 12 month counter... the account would cancel itself and require re-setup 12 months after your last top up expires.
As long as you hav3e top -upped recently, wouldn't that negate the need to create a new account?
That's correct... unless you wait > 12 months between top ups. Not that it really matters... worst case you get assigned a new MDN/MSID and those don't really matter on a data card!
Thank you... I ask because my Mifi is only for backup just in case my internet access is down at home, or I'm on the road. I may only top up once or twice during an entire year.....

thanks so much for replying
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Chuck35

to Chuck35
And even if you ARE set-up for auto-bill, it doesn't work and you're cut-off after 30 days. My service was stopped today (again) and I had to call (again) and ask "wha happened?" and they had no good answer for that. I had given them a credit card and checked the box "Bill automatically" and was even told by their rep last month that I was set-up for month-to-month auto-billing, but it didn't work--this morning no Internet; all attempts to access web pages referred me to my virgin account page.

When I called again and they "fixed it" (again) I was told again that next month I'd be auto-billed.

Guess my confidence about getting past Nov. 25th without having to call them yet again remains very low!
Justin Time5

Justin Time5

Seems incredibly lame that a telecom can't get it's act together to take your money but such is the case after two months.

I spoke with a VM rep a few days ago on another issue but also asked him about re-upping. He gave me the company line that they were "working on it" but then said it was better to call customer service to add time.
bcsman
join:2010-09-07
Capac, MI

bcsman to Chuck35

to Chuck35
Was able to re-up my unlimited month yesterday online with no problems. When my month ended on the VM account page my green "unlimited" bar had turned white and said I had no MB remaining. I checked the $40 unlimited plan, hit continue and it took me to the credit card page. I filled in my info and in less than 30 seconds was ready for another month. The hardest part was being able to hit the continue button on the page that shows the plans as it only stays active for a second or two. If you refresh it comes back and you get get another shot, just have to be quick. Other than that no problems renewing.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

said by bcsman:

I filled in my info and in less than 30 seconds was ready for another month.
Yours might be the best approach, especially if you don't need/use Virgin 24/7 in which case paying only when you need it again might let you slip a day or three once in a while. Our usage is pretty much constant so would like the auto-bill/auto-up process to work.
bcsman
Capac, MI

bcsman to Chuck35

to Chuck35
I wouldn't say our usage is constant, but if renewing slips very long my wife will let me know she can't play Facebook games...so a day or three would make my life very uncomfortable...hahaha
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852

Lower your latency/make it more steady

»www.wowinterface.com/dow ··· Fix.html

This guy wrote a small script to do this for you instead of manually having to do the registry tweak. Basically, windows waits for packets to be paired up first before sending them out, which increases latency. With this registry script, it basically tells windows not to wait for packets to be paired but to just send them out as they come, therefore reducing latency. Couple of my friends with 'normal' internet (dsl, cable) swore by it and it dropped there ping times by as much as 10-20ms in games and on trace routes/ping tests. I tried it, it does work, my ping dropped by a steady 20 in games and in tests and the latency is more consistent since it sends a constant flow of data rather than waiting for pairs of packets. It's tiny, 6kb since it's just a tiny script to save you the trouble of manually doing it and super easy to install just follow the directions on that page.

••••••
bcsman
Capac, MI

bcsman

Anybody else having trouble connecting??

This afternoon my connection went south. I could not even connect, I went from having 3 bars of EVDO to 1 bar of 1xRTT. And the only thing I got when trying to connect was a message saying remote computer does not respond, try again. I have a parabolic dish and with it have been getting a super signal up until today. I tried without the antenna connection and still nothing. I called tech support and they had me reprogram my modem, but still nothing. I took my laptop on the road towards my tower and even when close I got a weak signal, 1 bar of EVDO when I would normally get 3-4. However I was able to connect then and got an OK download. I came home and called again and she said they were going to put a report in for my address. I finally got connected here at home, but the signal is weak yet. I went to do a speed test and discovered instead of connecting thru St Lake City, Utah I connected thru Wichita, Kansas. Anyone else notice their connection has changed locations??? Supposed to hear from tech support tomorrow so we'll see, but wondering if I am alone with this problem????

•••
wingman99
join:2003-12-18
Opelika, AL

wingman99

How do you find the RSSI in the software

I am unable to find the RSSI numbers in VM software on my note book.

•••••••••••••••••••
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Post your October speeds

It isn't September anymore

And yes, I now have VMo, as well as my Epic 4G.

Fastest server I've found...

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Moocow870
@mycingular.net

Moocow870

Anon

How to change from 10 plan to 40?

I bought the 10 dollar plan to make sure it worked at home. It does and I added 40 today and went to change my plan. I don't get the option to change out my plan. It shows I still have 59megs left. Do I have to use that up, then change to the 40 plan? Thanks.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Re: How to change from 10 plan to 40?

once the 100 megs or week is used up it will click off...

then you select the 40 dollar plan.

esoh
@innbr.com

esoh

Anon

Upgraded software/firmware

Does anyone know if the MC760 has upgraded software/firmware. The stuff on there is pretty old and I have to figure that new software should be out there, either released by Virgin or Novatel. What also bugs me is that the PRL is really old, which means that you aren't pinging the latest towers which means that you aren't optimizing speed.

••••••••••
hemlockz
join:2010-01-18

hemlockz

Novatel Ovation MC760 GPS

Has anyone accessed the GPS that is advertised with the MC 760 Broadband2Go modem? Just looking for my lat/long coordinates *on linux.

••••••
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

VMo modem can be used in Mac OS w\o Broadband2Go active

Typing this from my VMo connection while heading back home on break. Using the Mac OS X (10.6) built in modem manager and, though you don't get signal bars, you get internet without a big hulking Broadband2Go app running in the background.

The UI could be more polished...AT&T's OS X integration gives you signal bars and an indication as to which G you're on (3G/2.5G) but if you want something that will just fade into the background and let you surf, the OS X connection manager works just fine.
Delta55
join:2007-11-18
Jacksonville, IL

Delta55

Re: VMo modem can be used in Mac OS w\o Broadband2Go active

No signal bars? Really. I use the built-in novatel driver too when I USB connect my mifi2200 on my MacBook Pro running 10.6. I get a signal bar display and an indication of 2.5g or 3G on the top bar, next to the wifi status. Works beautifully.

The supplied VM connection manager is garbage. I use Sprint's CM on my PC, as it has a decent UI with signal & 3G status.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Re: VMo modem can be used in Mac OS w\o Broadband2Go active

May try the Novatel specific driver to see what it does...
williewu
join:2010-10-16
Saint Paul, MN

williewu

MC760 Drivers and Software For a Mac (originally on MC760)

I've been going around and around on this one and it seems that there are websites where the subject items are available for download, but, I just can't see to pinpoint them.

I deleted everything so as to do a "clean" install, but, also probably deleted some files needed for the re-install.

Can anyone please advise me of the website where this stuff is available? I did call VM's tech support and wound up speaking with someone in the Philippines who said that he could set me up in an hour or two, but nothing.

Thx in advance for your help.

Williewu

dib22
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22

Re: MC760 Drivers and Software For a Mac (originally on MC760)

sounds like the dreaded 'auto install' unchecked problem has struck you

check this thread »Virgin Mobile USB Install Error, Help Anyone?

the mac files are down a bit

note: mac does have built in support for the mc760 so you could just build a dial up networking entry... but if you need to activate (program) the device, or check the ##debug... you do need the vm software to do so.
tas783
join:2006-12-11
Sevierville, TN

tas783

Signal Making Stable Jumps

Hi All,

I just signed up for Virgin Mobile's unlimited plan and purchased the MC760. I have it hooked up to a parabolic grid antenna which is pointed in the direction of the tower. The signal I get is acting weird though, it will be at -90 for 1-2 seconds then drop to -125 for 1-2 seconds repeatedly. Any one have any ideas as to why this is happening or if there is something I'm missing? I've been trying to fine tune the antenna direction but it doesn't get any better. Any help would be awesome!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Justin Time5

Justin Time5

Been good-then a glitch-renewal update

Posting has slowed here so I guess things have been ok for folks....or they gave up, lol.

I can't complain, service has been acceptable for close to 2 months now.....until this morning. I've got 4 days left on this month's plan but got the "device is not activated" message in the software.

Restarts and troubling shooting on my end did nothing sooooo, you'd be lucky to get "Micheal" at VM customer service as he actually seemed to know what he was doing and spoke well. He walked me through the "reprogramming" in only about 12 minutes.

BTW, I asked about re-upping and he said don't use the website but call CS if you want to add time. Oh well

••••••

docchat
join:2002-10-02
New York, NY

docchat

Mifi 2200.. How to update firmware?

Does anyone know how to update the firmware on the mifi 2200? On the Sprint version, there is an update firmware option in the settings which is not present in the Virgin Mobile version. I am sure the version I have is the latest but I would like to confirm the version I have and know how to update it in case that is needed. Thanks!

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Re: Mifi 2200.. How to update firmware?

at this point there doesn't seem to be any updates available for the VM branded mifi... but on the bright side the version it ships with has none of the security problems the original mifi firmware shipped with
tas783
join:2006-12-11
Sevierville, TN

tas783

Does anyone have any experience with Direct Connect Amps?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if a Direct Connect Amplifier will help with my EC/IO? It's pretty bad and before I buy one I just wanted to see if it would be worth the money. If it will help do you have any recommendations on an amp?

•••••
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 12 · 13 · 14 · next