dslreports logo
site
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
About
Cavalier Telephone - open discussion forum. Share information with other users.

If this forum gets busy please nominate it for an upgrade to a full forum by proposing it in site feedback.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 15 · 16 · 17 · next
System

NOT Free Installation

As a recent Cavalier customer, I like the service. Tech Support O.K. However, the FREE installation is news to me. You can bet that I will be talking to Customer Service. I was charged $99 for installation and so was a friend. Several of our colleagues are waiting for installation and they will be charged $99. We would like to have someone from DSL Reports please verify with Cavalier. Please contact them and post the reply and/or update chart. Thanks!!
mjmgraphix

join:2000-05-24
Virginia Beach, VA

They will refund installation fee

Call customer service and they will refund the install fee... they did it for me.

charlesd2

join:2003-06-30
Columbia, MD

How long has Cav been around?

How long have these guys been around and doing DSL? Do they have a decent track record, or are they fairly new? Their website looks good, but this forum apparently is not used much. Has anyone had any problems with running servers? Thanks in advance.

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

Re: How long has Cav been around?

It says on their website they've been around since 1998, but I think they were offering business telephone service prior to that too.

I just ordered their $74.95 service, and I bought the DSL modem for $99, and they gave me 3 months DSL free. They also give a $30 referral credit...PM me if you're interested in signing up. Once I'm up and running, I'll post some pings/traceroutes.
--
"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad." - Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Information Minister

Mellow
Premium
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD
They are one of the newer startups. They are around 3-4 years old from what ive been told by the reps. They bought out my old phone provider (connectiv) and have been very good on the voice side. I have had their 1.1/1.1 adsl package for a year now and its not bad. I'm not sure if they offer this package in other places or not but it sure beats pulling in a T1 for webhosting. You can see my review under the cavalier section.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

slow speeds

anyone else seeing really slow speeds the week of 8/18/03?
ever since the blaster worm has leaked cavalier has been down hill

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Unlimited upto 4mbit/1mbit residential plan

Finally found someone that knew how it went.

less than 4000 ft = 4mbit
less than 8000 ft = 2mbit
greater than 8000 ft = 960k

Had to do alot of department bouncing to find that info out.

hsindogg
Premium
Potomac, MD

Re: Unlimited upto 4mbit/1mbit residential plan

Interesting...last night when I was on the phone with them I was setting up my emails and I noted I got consistent speeds of 670/560 and asked if I was capped, and they said yes at 768/768. I noted on their website that it said up to 4mbps/1mbps and the guy said no, that was for a different service. I told him I had their top tier residential plan and he insisted that it wasn't and basically hung up on me. So I shoot tech support help an email and stated the website's claimed speed and the link. hopefully they'll upgrade me to at least 960/960.
--
"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad." - Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Information Minister
SteveEisen

join:2003-09-06
Wynnewood, PA

Have you read the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning GuideTM (»cable-dsl.home.att.net/)?

One point that Navas makes is that the speed analysis tools you can link to from this site are not necessarily accurate. Using the method Navas suggests, of timing a long download from a quick site (Microsoft), I get about 25% faster measured speed. I also noticed that if I am doing several downloads at once the total bytes downloaded per minutes goes up substantially (maybe another 30%) over one at a time. This may be irrelevant for how some use DSL. However, in our case we have three computers on a wireless network with teenagers in the house often using more than one computer at a time. I've been pleased with how I really don't notice much slowness when others in the house are surfing vs. when I am on by myself.

Navas also gives a method for speeding up your DSL by tweaking Windows -- I haven't bothered with this yet.

By making these claims that they offer "up to" a certain speed, the broadband ISP's are leaving themselves open to customer dissatisfaction. Cavalier would be more honest to advertise that they use "reliable ReachDSL" rather than mentioning some speed like 4Mbps which is probably a few years away even if you are across the street from the telephone office.

Advertising broadband "up to" some speed is like advertising that our 4 cylinder minivan will go "up to" 200 MPH. Maybe it can on a long straight downhill, but real life speed depends totally on conditions outside the vendor's control.

hsindogg may already know all this and more, but I figured I would share what I've been learning.
SteveEisen

join:2003-09-06
Wynnewood, PA

> less than 4000 ft = 4mbit
> less than 8000 ft = 2mbit
> greater than 8000 ft = 960k

I have had Cavalier DSL since September 6. Distance to office is 13,200 feet. The modem they sent me is a Paradyne ReachDSL 6350, which, according to www.paradyne.com, can go to 1 Mbps. My understanding is that this US-made modem is superior in ways other than speed. Of course, in my case, distance is probably a limiting factor for speed more than anything else.

Because of limiting factors such as the quality of home wiring, I'm not sure how a broadband provider could ever really quote a speed, although there obviously are marketing pressures to do so.

What should speed things up is when they upgrade to ADSL2, which will require both new home modems and new cards at the office. Since ASDL2 was only announced by Paradyne this past May, I doubt that many people yet have it. Is this right?

I would be curious to know what modem/CPE others received from Cavalier.
[text was edited by author 2003-10-01 21:55:57]

hsindogg
Premium
Potomac, MD
Talked to some techies yesterday, the 4mbps is a totally different beast, it's their RADSL service, which is actually rolling out soon if you qualify, 8000 feet or less, for $25/month!!!

I don't qualify, they said I was 12,900 ft to the CO.
--

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD
i just bought a house under the idea it was close enough to the CO that i could get higher speed dsl. I know they are not accurate but the loop length on here said 6728ft. Called cavalier monday to get my phones moved to the new house and found out its 11,100ft. I have no idea what backasswards way they ran the lines but it sure would have helped if they could have told me that from the begining. They said they couldnt tell me loop length without knowing the phone #. So instead of the radsl im stuck with the 960k. unf!

hsindogg
Premium
Potomac, MD

That sucks....it could have those "coils" that extend the loop length, while you're almost physically 6,000 ft from the CO, your actual like is almost 5,000 ft more...ouch.

I just called Cavalier, my line was originally set at 768/768, and since they upgraded their website to 960/960, I had to call to get my service upgraded.

Anyways, I've been monitoring my line, and so far it has been great, with very low pings and packet loss. For $25, Cavalier has been great.
--
wtansill
Ncc1701

join:2000-10-10
Falls Church, VA
What's your experience been with them? I decided to switch over to them from Verizon. I called the first week or so of September to place my order. They finally got around to verifying the line last week Wednesday (OK, so maybe Isabel slowed them down a bit ), but still haven't received a DSL modem, so am still on dial-up with my old ISP. I was on the internet Friday night and things worked fine. Went down Saturday afternoon to discover that I have no dial tone -- only a periodic series of beeps.

Called support. After speaking with "Robert", I was told that no one was in the office, and that I'd have to wait until Monday. Called again this morning. Spoke to "Carmen", and was told that the earliest they could have someone out would be sometime Tuesday!!!

I sure hope their upgraded DSL is worth it -- so far I've seen nothing but delays and now, no service...
--
That which does not kill me merely prolongs the agony.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

long wait times

Anyone got a shortcut to get to customer service faster? I never get through except on saturdays early. Stupid department closes at 5pm. Last time I called I left a msg and never heard back from them, also tried the email and the same thing, almost makes the good rates and cheap dsl not worth it if you cant get through to make any changes. Going on 2 weeks to get my phone line moved across town, thank goodness I forwarded it to my cell phone before it was shut off. I guess all you can say is.. you get what you pay for.
neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

Re: long wait times

I wonder if this company is getting to big to fast. I now seeing more negatives then positives on the support end of things for Cavalier. My CO does not have Cavalier, I will supposively get a post card when they are in my area. I like the idea of getting away from Verizon for phone service but reading some of these posts, they reel you in with good pricing then what happens.

djg

@mindspring.com

Poor pre sales support also

I was temped by the lower cost and better bandwidth than my current provider so emailed some questions. They blew off my questions with our website has detailed information. One of the specific questions I asked was does the portion of their acceptable use policy »support.cavtel.net/aup.php that says no servers (public information services) only apply to dialup which they didn't answer. The high upstream bandwidth for my web site »www.pdp8.net was why I was interested.

Anybody else figured how to get information out of this company or best to wait another couple months and see if they get their act together?

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Re: Poor pre sales support also

This is the one reason I stick with cavalier. They dont give a crap if you run servers or not. I have talked to them several times about this and they will give you a static ip for this very reason. Sorry about them not getting back to you. They need to hire a service consultant..hmm.. someone like me They have lost quite a few people due to them being understaffed. But hey they are a smaller company and trying to branch out then im sure they will work on service support. Atleast I hope so.
holycrap5

join:2002-01-21
Silver Spring, MD

Slow DSL modem shipping / Poor communication

I signed up for Cavalier's "FlexDSL" package on August 13.

I had not heard from them since receiving a confirmation email from then, so I called last Monday (Oct 20).

They said my line had been provisioned and they were going to ship my modem. They told me to call back the next day for a tracking number.

Wednesday (Oct 22) I called back and spoke to Jack in tech support. They said it was being shipped, but he didn't have a tracking number for me. Try back later, he said.

Thursday (Oct 23) I spoke with Clay in tech support. He said they were shipping 400 modems and they were "putting the stickers on my box." Call back tomorrow for my tracking number, he said.

Friday (Oct 24), I talked to Bobby in tech support. He says he has no idea if my modem has shipped. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he said only customer care could deal with customer complaints. I was transferred to Susan in customer care, who said the only department who knew anything about DSL modems is tech support. I was transferred to Glen (not sure which dept). He says that they get modems only on Wednesdays and they ship them out the same day. He claims that everything else I was told was wrong. Glen tells me to call back next week.

Monday (Oct 27) - Talked to Clay (same Clay as Oct 23), who says my modem should ship today or tomorrow.

I'm fine with having a long wait to get my modem. What I have issue with is being mislead into thinking that the modem is shipping before it has. Virtually every person I spoke to at Cavalier has told me the modem is shipping "today or tomorrow." When I call back the next day for tracking information, I am given the same information.

If my modem will not ship for three weeks, tell me so. Don't keep leading me on. I find this unacceptable and I am not far from completely canceling my Cavalier service.

Edit (Oct 27): I sent an email to the CEO and COO of Cavalier about my problem. Ten minutes later, I had a response back saying they would investigate the matter. Thirty minutes later, someone called and gave me a tracking number and a promise that I'd have the modem by Wednesday, Oct 29. We'll see.
[text was edited by author 2003-10-27 20:17:34]
neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

Re: Slow DSL modem shipping / Poor communication

Sounds like that company is not being managed properly to handle the build out. I think I will stick with Verizon and my Covad contract is up in March. When I called I was put on mailing list for post card of when service will be available in my area. Oh well. But seems they're a few happy people with Caltel so I guess they just need to get managed better.
Uzbek8

join:2001-03-15
Richmond, VA
Your story sounds pretty similar to mine:

»Review of Cavalier Telephone by Uzbek8

In my case they never made any promises as to shipment, just said they were backordered and didn't know when I'd get it. Since I got hooked up though I haven't had a single problem.
wtansill
Ncc1701

join:2000-10-10
Falls Church, VA

said by Uzbek8:
Your story sounds pretty similar to mine:

»Review of Cavalier Telephone by Uzbek8

In my case they never made any promises as to shipment, just said they were backordered and didn't know when I'd get it. Since I got hooked up though I haven't had a single problem.
Same here. Ordered in mid-September of this year. Got the "on back order" story every time I called. Once the modem arrived though, setup was fairly smooth. The only snag was a day-long loss of connectivity due to stupidity on my part (forgot to update ZoneAlarm. D'oh!). After I figured that out, the problem went away, and ever since then the connection's been pretty smooth. They *still* haven't shipped DSL filters though...
--
That which does not kill me merely prolongs the agony.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD
Once you get your modem and everything is working you should post that review under isp reviews. I am still waiting for my modem for my home dsl as well. And to think at any point and time I could go get a comcast self install kit and be up and running tonight. Ahh well.. comcast isnt 25/month.
mbruno2

join:2003-11-02
Salisbury, MD
Well I'm thinking about switching to Cavtel for the $25 a month deal but since it is Sunday I could only talk to Tech. support. I currently have comcast on special for $19 a month which will be up the first of the year. The price will then go up to $40 a month am I am getting 1.5mbps down which isn't bad. From what I am reading I went thru the same with our phone service from Cavalier after switching from verizon. I can hardly wait to see how long it takes to switch the DSL over and to get the modem in. Here's a question for you all why can't you just go out and buy a DSL modem? Is there something they need to do with these modem like register the MAC address or something in the system? I live in a dull area in Salisbury and we seem like we are the last to ever get anything on thing on the Eastern Shore.

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Hyattsville, MD

said by mbruno2:
Here's a question for you all why can't you just go out and buy a DSL modem?
Cavalier is using "reach" technology and from what I understand only a modem with that capability will work. I received a paradyne reach modem (took a couple of weeks to get due to backorder). I plugged it and got an almost instant synch and have been up and running since.
--
I started out with nothing...
I still have most of it.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Everyone is getting the paradyne. They get them in lots every week and ship them out. If you can find the paradyne modem thats fine. But remember sometimes the longest part is getting verizon to connect the circuit at the CO.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

just noticed something

Found this speedtest under cavtel.net.. didnt think much of it till i was tracing some packetloss my line was having today.

anon 19901 cavaliertelephone 710/1347 1/1 28th 08:xx ds3.cavtel.net

Ds3.cavtel.net is according to my traceroutes the main incoming line on cavtel's network.

-------------------------------

1 161.58.135.225 (161.58.135.225) 0.418 ms 0.292 ms 0.247 ms
2 204.2.127.9 (204.2.127.9) 0.385 ms 0.276 ms 0.245 ms
3 xe-1-2-0-5.r20.asbnva01.us.bb.verio.net (129.250.27.190) 0.360 ms 0.392 ms 0.345 ms
4 p16-7-0-0.r02.asbnva01.us.bb.verio.net (129.250.2.83) 0.436 ms 0.437 ms 0.402 ms
5 verio-gw.wswdc.ip.att.net (192.205.32.1) 1.351 ms 1.319 ms verio-gw.wswdc.ip.att.net (192.205.32.209) 1.430 ms
6 tbr1-p013201.wswdc.ip.att.net (12.122.11.233) 1.989 ms 2.446 ms 2.098 ms
7 tbr2-cl9.phlpa.ip.att.net (12.122.2.86) 7.038 ms 7.255 ms 7.389 ms
8 gbr1-p80.phlpa.ip.att.net (12.122.12.106) 7.522 ms 7.338 ms 7.246 ms
9 gar1-p360.phlpa.ip.att.net (12.123.137.21) 6.425 ms 6.586 ms 6.392 ms
10 12.125.176.170 (12.125.176.170) 170.441 ms 240.950 ms 267.895 ms
11 209-137-166-66-atm-ds3.cavtel.net (209.137.166.66) 9.607 ms 9.426 ms 16.950 ms
12 63.238.168.5 (63.238.168.5) 12.723 ms 14.899 ms 17.824 ms
13 de-dsl-63-238-182-1**-static.dsl.cavtel.net (63.238.182.1**) 35.172 ms 29.790 ms 24.073 ms
14 de-dsl-63-238-182-1**-static.dsl.cavtel.net (63.238.182.1**) 24.581 ms 22.290 ms 24.908 ms

-------------------

I tell you what.. I for sure would hope a Ds3 can pull more than 710/1347 on any speedtest.. even if its to japan. I'm not exactly sure what to think of this but I figured I would show it to you guys anyway. It could just be someone doing it from a station with a bad link to the atm. Here lately I have been showing regular packetloss to 63.238.168.5, from what ive been told that is the main gateway for all users. Take a look at it and tell me what you find out.

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium
Hyattsville, MD

Five Hundred / Five Hundred

My new cavtel line is up and running, supposed to be 960/960 but due to distance of approx. 12,500' out from CO I am getting 500/500. Now I am NOT complaining about this, its about 100 better down and 380 better up! than I was getting thru COVAD and its saving me approx. $50 a month in phone and DSL fees!
--
I started out with nothing...
I still have most of it.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Re: Five Hundred / Five Hundred

unless you have really bad lines between your house and the CO you should be able to get atleast 768/768. Have you called cavalier about this yet?

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium
Hyattsville, MD

Re: Five Hundred / Five Hundred

They say and I quote "best effort" you get what you get.
Tech support says I am synching at 640down and 500up. I am going to try switching the internal phone line over from an old wire to a new one and see if it improves. Next step is a speed test from the NID.
[text was edited by author 2003-11-04 19:15:16]

Trismegistus4

@merck.com

Cavalier DSL not working

I ordered Cavalier service about a month ago, and finally received my modem this week. Well, I brought it home, followed their setup instructions to the letter, got to the point where you test your connection by pinging your default gateway, and got nothing but "Request timed out." I called Cavalier and they said it was a problem on their end and they'd call me back. 2 days later, I called them again--nothing about a problem on their end that time; they said they could see me online, and they were able to reset my MAC accress. The guy said he'd look into it more and call me back, but of course he never did. My computer is old, but this should work; I had it on a cable modem connection when I first got it. Has anyone else had problems like this? If Cavalier can't get the service working, I'm going to have to cancel.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Paperwork that should be sent with paradyne

I dont know why they dont send this with the 6350's but here is a link to the actual owners manual for our modems. 19 pages vs 6.

»www.paradyne.com/technical_manua···0-10.pdf
tamarok

join:2003-01-30
Richmond, VA

radsl

i saw that cavtel raised the speed up to 4meg/1meg on the website. i am 12k feet away so they say i cant get it over 8kfeet...everything i read says radsl can go up to 18k ft so what is the deal here? and now they say my max speed at 12k feet is only 512??? i had a tech come out and check things and he found nothing wrong, but cavtel syas im running at 800k on their end, but all my speed tests show 4-400k

•••••••

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

You think cavalier is going downhill?

I tell you what, I think ive put on a good game face and tried to cope with cavtel for long enough. I think its great that they are giving Verizon some competition. But I think ive about had it with the lack of customer service here lately. Ive had their dsl for a year now and the service support is going downhill fast. My ear is getting numb from having to wait for someone to pick up the phone to help me out with their problems. And this is only at work. I ordered dsl for my new house last month and have still yet to see it. They sent me a paradyne modem 15 days after my order and I was all happy until after 3 calls to support to find out why it was not provisioned at the CO I find out its the wrong modem. For my area I should recieve the cisco 675, which is an awesome modem (same modem as we got on our business line) but the trouble ive had to go through to get it doesnt seem to justify it. Its to bad that companies start out right then go downhill so fast these days. The due date on my dsl at home is nov. 18th so im gonna stick it out till I recieve it to see what kind of speeds I get. Im thinking about just getting comcast and packet8 and dumping my phone lines at home so I will have one less headache in life.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
mlounsbury

join:2003-10-02
Middle River, MD

Issues getting Cavalier service.

Here's my issue, and maybe someone can shed some light on what to do. I moved into my current house in the middle of September. We had Verizon for phone service and I used to have Comcast at our old apartment for an ISP. I dumped comcast for TV service and got DirecTV, and I wanted to get rid of comcast for DSL also. So, after some searching I decided to go with Cavalier for both phone service and DSL. I went ahead and did the online signup thing.

Couple weeks go by, and since Cavalier says it'll be 15-20 days for service to be moved over, I figured things were moving along just fine. I call up around the 10th of October, and they tell me that my account was put on hold on October 8th because there were no ports available for me. So, I said alright and told them I'd call back again. I give them a call a few days later and get the same response. I hang up with them and proceed to call the internet side of Cavalier. The person I talk to there says that she's seen this multiple times and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get this pushed through. I asked her if I could have her resubmit the service request to which she told me someone in customer support needed to do that and she'd transfer me. The person I talked to in CS assured me that they were trying to provision lines at my local CO and it shouldn't take much longer than 3 weeks or so.

Since that time, I've had someone from Verizon working on the pole in front of my house, but yet Cavalier has checked and still says no ports are available for me. It's been about a month now since they told me it would be 3 weeks.

What should I do? And how much longer should I wait before I consider some other alternative?

•••••••
Uzbek8

join:2001-03-15
Richmond, VA

High Pings to Gateway

Anyone else in Richmond having periodic high pings to their gateway? I wrote tech support an e-mail yesterday but of course haven't heard anything yet.

My service is fine most of the time, but every once in a while (more often the past couple days) my browser window hangs, so I check the ping to my gateway and it either times out or is ~1000 ms. Then it is back down to 10 ms where it normally is.

Sat 11/22/200317:37:31.88>ping 66.160.91.1

Pinging 66.160.91.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=991ms TTL=32
Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=971ms TTL=32
Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=1022ms TTL=32

Ping statistics for 66.160.91.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 971ms, Maximum = 1022ms, Average = 746ms

Sat 11/22/200317:37:39.00>ping 66.160.91.1

Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=1002ms TTL=32
Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=971ms TTL=32
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Minimum = 971ms, Maximum = 1002ms, Average = 493ms

Sat 11/22/200317:38:35.02>ping 66.160.91.1

Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=32
Reply from 66.160.91.1: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=32

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 12ms

Sat 11/22/200317:38:58.91>
Ult

join:2000-08-01
Arlington, VA

2 edits

Re: High Pings to Gateway

I have the EXACT same thing. In fact, pings to my GW tend to time out. I've called their "support" line three times about it. It was so sad that the support didn't even know what a gateway was, other than what my gw ip should be. When I asked for senior level support or a sr tech, they said sure, I'll send a tech out - not realizing i'm asking for one of the lead tech guys who are proficient, not a housecall. After wasting hours with their first level support (whose suggestions ranged from rebooting my computer to buying a new CAT5 patch cable) I gave up.

Disregard my profile saying im from Tx.

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD
Any of you guys running dslreports monitor on your lines? Help give you an idea when the high pings come about. I have no doubt in my mind that cavalier is oversubscribing right now and that is prolly why you see the high ping times at any given time to the gateway. I am fighting with some of their top ppl right now over the problems we have with our business line and them oversubscribing the lines.
tstc

join:2003-11-23
Richmond, VA

flex dsl, what's the deal???

I've had Cavalier dsl for over 3 years (768k). Recently I telephoned them about a different issue alltogether, and was advised that they now had something called flex dsl which was rated at 960k and cheaper. So I said sure "upgrade" me.
This flex-dsl's speed is all over the place from 12k to 91k. What gives??? My 768k was ALWAYS steady 76k.

•••

RickeyB

@east.verizon.ne

*Sigh*

Well I wish I could get DSL from Cavtel as I would qualify for RADSL, BUT I'm having the hardest time getting service from them. They swear there is no way DSL could be provided to me because I have fiber optics (lol, Verizon said the same thing..BUT they haven't updated there records (They just opened up my area to DSL)..and I have since been able to get DSL from Verizon, and I am using it right now) Anyhow, they don't believe that I have DSL right now.. *Sigh* Wish I could get it though.. Since I live 1 block from the CO. =)

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Re: *Sigh*

speak to a manager if you can get ahold of one and offer to fax them your printed dsl bill from verizon showing you have dsl and that they need to update their records. I have seen this many a time and most ppl have to fight to get the records updated but most of the time if they yell loud enough it got done and they got the dsl they should have been given in the first place.

RickeyB

@east.verizon.ne
Well, I was finally able to get a (semi) solid answer as to why I am not able to get service from Cavalier.. Apparently Verizon has 're-routed" me to be able to get DSL (through a RT down the street). Sucks really, because Verizon has been messing up really horribly lately (in the billing department..The signal has been perfect! 1536/138 constantly, and the modem has never lost sync in the past 3 months, thanks in part to me being 300 feet from the RT) They never gave me my free month, or the 29.99 thereafter for 2 months so I really wanted to switch over (spending 3 hours on hold only to get disconnected sucks, I always get through to Cavtel in a couple of minutes when I call) So I guess I am stuck with Verizon, as no one else can service me where I am at except Verizon.. Well at least I'm the only one on the RT.. (So far).

dslless_dan

@lnh.md.di

"cavalier" - given to haughty disregard for others

Hmmmm. . .I picked up on the name a little too late. I must've been thinking "cavalry" which of course is a group of mounted soldiers who are supposed ride into my house and correctly configure my computer properly for DSL.

I was looking for an antonym of "support" in MS Word in order to sarcastically describe the "support" supplied by Cavalier when I accidentally clicked on the synonym "hold up." Interestingly enough, synonyms of "hold up" are "delay,""obstruction," "snag,"stoppage," "difficulty" and "hindrance." I couldn't have said it better. This representation of the circularity of good and bad gave me a very zen-like moment.

Where to begin. . . well, I ordered DSL service from Cavalier about two months ago and I won't bore you with the details except to say that they have a serious problem with having/giving wrong information. I don't know much about DSL and TCP/IP stuff so I wasn't concerned when Cavalier sent me two IP addresses--both of which were wrong. The support dude gave me what he described as the "correct" number (not proven as of the writing of this message) but said the network was down in my area so I really couldn't test it. How convenient.

Anyway, I've got everything set up and the lights on my modem are lit up like a Christmas tree and the data transfer light is even blinking on and off as if tons of information were being supplied to my computer but my browser felt it needed to shield me from the awesome flow of data.

So I've checked and triple-checked my network properties and I've told IE to "never dial a connection." But I've got nothing.

Anyone, out there want to throw me a bone? I'm using Windows ME if that helps any.

••••••••••

ben613

@fwdc1.hawkcommunicat

Should I go for Verizon DSL or Cavalier?

Hello,

I need to get a fast internet connection for my wife who will be teaching an online course. It seemed that Cavalier was more cost effective than Verizon (currently we just have a no features unlimited local calling plan from them and nothing else). But based on what I am reading here it sounds like I am better off going with Verizon (or perhaps someone has another suggestion?) since Cavalier is so unreliable?

Thanks for you input.
Ben

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Re: Should I go for Verizon DSL or Cavalier?

I sat here trying to think for a while how to answer this question, I ask myself that question why I stay with cavalier all the time Lemme put it this way, are you a gambling kind of person? Odds are if you go with cavalier you might not have any trouble what so ever. Then again if you do, we will try to help you as much as we can. Sometimes things cost more for a reason.
espionage007

join:2003-06-14
Herndon, VA
well, my experience with verizon wasnt good either which is why I switched to cavalier. It all depends on what you want to do with DSL. do you care about blazing speeds? do you want to use your connection for a server? latency? and the ultimate question is how far are you from either CO?

ben613

@fwdc1.hawkcommunicat

finding CO distance

Hello,

How do you find out how far away you are from the CO (I presume that CO is whatever provides the DSL) so you can know what your expected speed will be? I suspect it is close to me because a short distance away from me is a verizon house which might be where they are working from.

Thanks,
Ben

ben613

@fwdc1.hawkcommunicat

Re: finding CO distance

Actually, i did a check on dslreports and it said one CO was 5000 feet away and another was 9000 feet. Anyone know how good this is?

Thanks,
Ben

Mellow
Premium
Salisbury, MD

Re: finding CO distance

the only one that counts is Verizon. Only way to find that out is to call them up and state you want residential dsl and ask what your distance is to the CO. The ft reports on here is sometimes accurate, and sometimes very off. When I bought my new house reports here said 6600ft but verizon/cavalier came up as 11,100ft, so what they say goes.