dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-01-04 11:31:09: According to Verizon filings with the SEC, their acquisition of Alltel will close on January 9. Verizon will pay $5.9 billion and acquire $22. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
jimbo21503
join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH

jimbo21503

At least...

do our contracts expire because of this?
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Re: At least...

Probably not. They will probably keep you on your existing contract until it expires, then move you over to a new plan that pretty much sucks, which is why you went with a different company in the first place.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

hottboiinnc4 to jimbo21503

to jimbo21503
No. This has been covered several millions of times on here.

VZW bought the contracts. your equipment will still work. They both operate on CDMA. Everything will be fine until the contract runs out.

Also you can always renew your plan now and extend it.

But hey TM plans don't suck.

yeha9
@rcn.com

yeha9

Anon

TM plans dont suck but their service sucks. no reception anywhere in manhattan.

SterlingJ85
join:2000-11-19
Austin, TX

SterlingJ85

Well, that's just a damn lie. Maybe not service where you want there to be, but NONE?!

T-Mobile's network in NYC was originally a Joint Venture network that ran both Cingular (pre-AT&T) AND T-Mobile.

It was one of the best PCS networks in the city.

NYC is definitely one of T-Mobile's better markets.

bjt
@qwest.net

bjt

Anon

sorry not correct it was omnipoint in NYC. they originally put up the network to replace the meter readers for the electric company they also sold pcs phones. they failed badly and were bought by voicestream
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Areas that get spun off

is there any list of cities that Alltel and VZ have to get rid of?

There are few cities I want to see if they're on the list.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

Re: Areas that get spun off

said by hottboiinnc4:

is there any list of cities that Alltel and VZ have to get rid of?

There are few cities I want to see if they're on the list.
Here is the list.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Thanks. But I'm looking for an actual list of the cities within the colored areas.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

Sorry, that's all I have.

Rob 23
@windstream.net

Rob 23

Anon

»www.cellularmap.net look under what's new.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

website information not totally accurate.

Especially in terms to MetroPCS and Cricket.

Rob 23
@windstream.net

Rob 23

Anon

Looks to me like the metro-pcs map is the same map from metro's website ( doesn't matter ) I posted the link for the list of cities you were looking for,it's under the alltel map.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to NY Tel

to NY Tel
I wonder the fate of Alltel's GSM roamer network.
I think AT&T and T-Mobile have long term contracts, but then again, if those markets are divested, will AT&T or T-Mobile pick some of them up (or Sprint pick up some CDMA areas as well)
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

TM most likely has the cash to pick up the roaming network. ATT i doubt will want it due to them being invested with U-Verse and with CentUSA's merger pending i doubt they'll try and buy anything right now.

Sprint doesnt have the cash or credit to buy any of the CDMA networks.

The likely companies to pick them up especially in Ohio will be the unlimited carriers due to they don't have huge amounts of debt from non-paying customers. Revol will be the likely company to buy the Ohio networks from both Alltel and VZW which will hurt them. They really need the markets that Alltel will be spinning off to really connect their coverage.

SterlingJ85
Austin, TX

SterlingJ85 to en102

to en102
All roaming agreements are required by the FCC's merger conditions to be maintained by Verizon Wireless until they expire.

Now, it should be understood that this only applies to areas Verizon Wireless will assume control. Divested markets are still up to the purchasing company to do what they wish.

It is very likely that AT&T will pick up these areas, and if that's the case GSM won't be leaving those areas for a long time to come.

BUT - Even if AT&T chose not to purchase them, the roaming revenue they get would probably sway the operator to keep GSM and CDMA active.
SterlingJ85

SterlingJ85 to NY Tel

to NY Tel
It should be noted that "Hold Seperate Trust" areas have been decided by a judge that Verizon can buy them back.

Those areas will become Verizon Wireless and will not be divested.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
My city is on that map...what does that mean for me exactly? I have a Verizon phone as my personal phone, and an Alltel work phone.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Depending on what network they say is getting the axe there. They can keep the Alltel network and move you to that network or can keep the VZ network and move you to there.

Weather they keep both of your accounts or not is still to be announced. VZW and Alltel are not saying a damn thing.

This is most likely going to be another Sprint-Nextel merger all over again.

Two companies not doing a damn thing to keep the customer upto date. VZW anyway has a history of mergers not working in their favor---anyone remember when they took over Cellular One's TDMA network and required everyone to renew under VZW? A nightmare that was for customers especially since rate plans went up.

SterlingJ85
Austin, TX

SterlingJ85

Not likely. For two reasons.

1) Verizon Wireless is very good at mergers, they always are careful to cross every "t" and dot every "i".

2) This is a simple merger when you compare Nextel/Sprint. The problem with this merger was predominantly due to Nextel running an iDEN network, and Sprint running CDMA. In the Verizon/Alltel merger both predominantly run CDMA. This will only require Verizon to integrate the existing networks & billing systems, and remove redundant equipment/cell sites where they already have a network.

The issue with Cellular One was because of their TDMA network; which Verizon wanted to shut down to make it a CDMA market like the rest of their network.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

I know the difference between the networks. I stated them before.

But not telling your customers anything and you have under a week now until the merger is complete is another Sprint-Nextel merger in the works.

You have all these prepaid people from Alltel wondering if they'll get to keep their service or not due to not being in a contract. CellCo Partnership won't tell them a damn thing because they claim they don't have to. You have Alltel on the other hand claiming they don't know what in the hell is going on.

And Sprint could have completed the merger if they would NOT have allowed people to switch from the Sprint brand to Nextel. If they would have made EVERYONE move to the Sprint side after their contract expired and STOPPED signed people up on Nextel's brand Nextel would not have any new customers and would all be happy in the CDMA land.

And you claim the Cellular One problem was due to the difference. You better thank again. Cellular One didnt tell their customers anything either just like Alltel is doing. VZW didnt tell customers anything either UNTIL after the merger was done and REQUIRED ALL CUSTOMERS to sign a NEW contract just because of the difference.

I was one of those customers and it was a pain in the ass. CellCo does NOT know how to manage a Merger let alone know how to take care of their customers.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
My area is one that is getting screwed over.

I usually use over 5GB/mo for my mobile PC Repair Service. Now, I don't know what to do.

I hope Verizon sinks and someone takes them over. But we all know that will never happen.

GilbertMark
Premium Member
join:2001-05-02
Gilbert, AZ

GilbertMark

Premium Member

Hmm

And the consolidations and firings continue into the new year...

cmcgilton
join:2001-03-14
Stow, OH

cmcgilton

Not unexpected

This was not unexpected. That's the purpose of consolidations, more work with a lesser percentage of people and more monies into the hands of stockholders, senior management and the CEO's lol...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Re: Not unexpected

The new company motto:

"Do more, with less, for less!"

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

Re: Not unexpected

There's nothing new about that.

mazzdaa
@cox.net

mazzdaa

Anon

Commercial

Think about what will happen to the Alltel Commercials.... Guess they will be going away too. or they will come out with a corny Alltel/VZW guy holding hands and combining the networks.
53059959 (banned)
Temp banned from BBR more then anyone
join:2002-10-02
PwnZone

1 recommendation

53059959 (banned)

Chad

so whats gonna happen to this little sob?

maybe the t-mobile one will walk into some buttsecks, scream run off and tell the others

The Anon One
@insightbb.com

1 recommendation

The Anon One

Anon

Re: Chad

said by 53059959:

so whats gonna happen to this little sob?

maybe the t-mobile one will walk into some buttsecks, scream run off and tell the others
The tmobile one will probaboly want to join in.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to 53059959

Premium Member

to 53059959
Chad and the VZ guy in the glasses will kiss and say your good.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

1 edit

Mahalo to 53059959

to 53059959
New commercial
Scene opens with Chad and VZ dude in bed together.

Chad: Your network is so big.

VZ: Yea...I am going to give you some customer service.

Chad: Oh!!!

VZ: When I done with you I going to let these other thousand people with me screw you over too.

Chad's world fades to black.

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

4 edits

koolkid1563

MVM

Monopoly

So I wonder what will happen here since now VZ will have a monopoly. The only two carriers in this area were Alltel and VZ...

This is the last I heard of what would be happening: »powelltribune.com/index. ··· w/586/1/

According to the map posted above...it looks like Alltel's equipment will remain? Does that sound correct? I also haven't heard anything about another carrier picking up either Alltel's equipment or VZ's equipment, whichever VZ decides to sell.

Edit: I just looked at the map again and maybe I had it backwards. It looks like maybe VZ will be staying.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: Monopoly

But like you said they're not saying who is getting the customers on the old equipment or who's getting the equipment.

You would think they would have to tell their customers what's going on before Jan. 9th.
voipdabbler
join:2006-04-27
Kalispell, MT

voipdabbler

Bigger question is how in the world divestiture will happen.

In this economic climate even AT&T and T-Mobile, which certainly have healthier spreadsheets than Sprint, probably won't be willing or able to take on new debt to acquire the vast divestiture list put forward by Verizon (I know the FCC would have required some of them, but almost all the divestiture list was developed independently by Verizon). Rural carriers, forget it, in this climate bankers aren't going to be interested in extending their credit lines. That leaves the 64 million dollar question. When no potential buyers can get financing, will the regulators let service be shut down completely? Given most of the divestiture list is composed of RSAs (Rural Service Areas), that move would see the US slipping even further down the list on cellular penetration. (The last data the FCC published showed that far fewer than 50 percent of RSAs had any kind of cellular service--specifically only 150 of the 428 had any cellular service.) It also begs the question on whether regulators should begin revoking licenses issued to carriers who only provide roaming to non-local customers and refuse to invest in infrastructure to serve local populations. At present, many of the unserved RSAs have towers erected by the major carriers simply for those roaming from urban markets. The carriers refuse to expand the infrasturture to provide local service.

•••
Cpudan80
join:2007-07-26
Virginia Beach, VA

Cpudan80

Upcoming changes?

As a former Alltel customer -- I have to say that VZ should take an axe to all Alltel's call centers. They are/were even worse than VZ's billing/support staff.

But I wonder -- how long before VZ axes Alltel's "Circle of Friends"? Personally, I think that VZ will keep it in place for existing contracts, and terminate it as the contracts are renewed.

Thoughts?

••••••••••••••••••
yvovandoorn
Premium Member
join:2003-11-06
Renton, WA

yvovandoorn

Premium Member

Bye bye Bellevue call center

Well I know of one call center they are closing. Here in Bellevue, WA we have a huge VZW call center campus (3-4 buildings) and right across the street is an alltel customer service center (right next to the tmobile headquarters).
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: Bye bye Bellevue call center

Maumee Ohio will be moving their offices there to Dublin Ohio as well.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

Re: Bye bye Bellevue call center

where did you hear this ?
mark_y_k
join:2004-06-30
Pound, VA

mark_y_k

Does anyone know????

What this does for someone with a prepaid alltel phone? Now I'm on a day by day payment I pay 75 cents a day for unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited messages will i be able to keep that until i need to make changes???
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: Does anyone know????

chances are see my comments below.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Dear Alltel customers...

Welcome to the worlds biggest, worst-maintained billing, least customer service communication company on the planet!

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

I'll wager...

Alltel's U Prepaid is the first thing to go.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: I'll wager...

It is. The only thing Alltel said on their site that is staying in place are the services that are under contract. Anything prepaid will go out the door and hello V's service.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to mod_wastrel

to mod_wastrel
said by mod_wastrel:

Alltel's U Prepaid is the first thing to go.
I wonder if Verizon will move the U Prepaid accounts over to Inpulse. My mom, sister and cousin have U Prepaid accounts (my mom since 2002!). Guess it's time to start moving them over to Page Plus. (Page Plus is a prepaid MVNO that uses the Verizon network and has very good voice airtime rates when not roaming).

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

Locutus65

Premium Member

Really dreading this

I really hated hearing Verizon bought Alltel. I love my
Alltel plan. My wife has Verizon and it pretty much sucks. Too expensive, to few features and they simply do not give a crap about their customers.
As for equipment, I hope it still works unless Verizon is planning on giving me a new Palm Treo.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: Really dreading this

Verizon is CDMA the same as Sprint and Alltel. your phone will work just fine. And I doubt they'd even give you that phone since its not offered anymore. And anyway they'd make you sign a new contract the same way they did CellOne customers during that merger.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Locutus65

Premium Member

to Locutus65
said by Locutus65:

I really hated hearing Verizon bought Alltel. I love my
Alltel plan. My wife has Verizon and it pretty much sucks. Too expensive, to few features and they simply do not give a crap about their customers.
As for equipment, I hope it still works unless Verizon is planning on giving me a new Palm Treo.
it'll still work, there was a prl push last week to make your phones prefer the vz towers
pcdebb

pcdebb

Premium Member

thankfully

i'm divested so I will become someone else who acquires my market. funny that my employee plan turns to verizon but i still be alltel

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

They're still making Alltel commericals

Alltel is taking this one down to the wire, I was watching TBS tonight on Directv and they had a brand new Alltel commerical, one with the claymation guys, it advertised an Alltel New Years phone sale. For a company going to Verizon in a few days, you sure wouldn't have known it after seeing this new commerical.
budone
join:2002-09-07
Coopersville, MI

budone

Re: They're still making Alltel commericals

Sure you could. Did you notice the Verizon guy said nothing and stood apart from the other 3?
phazah
join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

phazah

alltel info interest...

i hope they get some info out, you ask the Alltel staff at the stores and they are a clueless as we are...
i would love to know what i'm going to lose(i'm not on a contract right now)....

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

Re: alltel info interest...

said by phazah:

i hope they get some info out, you ask the Alltel staff at the stores and they are a clueless as we are...
i would love to know what i'm going to lose(i'm not on a contract right now)....
they're not clueless, just limited to what can be said.

phxmark
What Country Are We Living In?
join:2000-12-27
Glendale, AZ

phxmark

Chad.

I am going to miss Chad.

Of course they may make Chad be the guy saying "Can you hear me now?"
scsiguru0
join:2000-11-18
Parkersburg, WV

1 edit

scsiguru0

Will switch to ATT

I have two phones currently with Alltel. One is out of contract (wife's) and my contract will expire in early June 2009. I plan to switch to ATT and get an Iphone for both of us. Verizon doesn't have anything to offer me.
bcorley
Premium Member
join:2004-06-02
Burgaw, NC

bcorley

Premium Member

Re: Will switch to ATT

I was a 12 year customer with at&t and a broken Tilt. They wouldn't even consider waving any fees or discounting the iPhone for me. I went to VZW and AT&T got there last $175 that they'll ever get out of my pocket!
scsiguru0
join:2000-11-18
Parkersburg, WV

scsiguru0

Re: Will switch to ATT

said by bcorley:

I was a 12 year customer with at&t and a broken Tilt. They wouldn't even consider waving any fees or discounting the iPhone for me. I went to VZW and AT&T got there last $175 that they'll ever get out of my pocket!
What reason would they have to discount the Iphone for you? Because of a broken phone. Their only obligation would be to resolve the broken Tilt issue. JMHO.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

What About Sprint and other area's

Area's that Alltel's Network blankets area's and VZW's network is weak? Will they just integrate the two.

And Sprint and Alltel signed a reciprocal EVDO/Voice roaming agreement?
Will us Sprint customer's be able to roam on VZW's whole EVDO network now? Or will it still stay the same area's as before with Alltel?
page: 1 · 2 · next