dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-01-30 12:56:09: Broadband Reports has learned that Comcast is engaged in trials that may (or may not) result in the company offering Comcast customers free Wi-Fi. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

TWC HotSpots

TWC used to do this in select regions. But they gave up on it after a few areas were lit-up. Mostly was available in Texas from what I read.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

PTD does the same but their hotspots are mostly in pennsylvania.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Free WiFi is cool!

Contrary to what some people have said in the past(No Names), WiFi for free is a good thing.
Whether its at a coffee shop, Panera bread, your local Public Library, the local pub/lounge, or where ever - it's great!

Not that I get out much anymore, but it's nice to sit with a laptop and cruise the web when you stop for coffee or commuting or something.
Waiting for the next train can get boring as hell!
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: TWC HotSpots

We'd have citywide wifi now from Buckeye if it wasnt for our damn mayor wanting to sign the deal with MetroFi and then them wanting half of what the build out cost.

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to dadkins

to dadkins

Re: Free WiFi is cool!

Free WiFi sucks!

I have my own mobile service, ATT 3G. No security concerns, no wandering eyes and no needing to buy over priced milk lattes.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

don't have that problem when it comes from the ISP you get it included.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

1 recommendation

Titus to dadkins

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Contrary to what some people have said in the past(No Names), WiFi for free is a good thing.
Whether its at a coffee shop, Panera bread, your local Public Library, the local pub/lounge, or where ever - it's great!
There's an auto center here that offers not only wifi, but they have a few laptops for use in the customer waiting area while your car is worked on.
They note this in their TV ads. I've often wondered if it draws customers ...
--

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to ninjatutle

to ninjatutle
said by ninjatutle:

Free WiFi sucks!

I have my own mobile service, ATT 3G. No security concerns, no wandering eyes and no needing to buy over priced milk lattes.
Yeah but 5G/month cap?

I have Verizon EvDO but use free wifi where I can.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4 to Titus

to Titus
Tom's Tire does that in Toledo. They do the wifi and they advertise it. not sure about the laptops though.
hottboiinnc4

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4

NetNearU

Comcast uses NetNearU for the backend software:

Key Customers
Some of the largest and most successful companies in the world rely on NetNearU and its products to manage their networks.
Comcast Corporation
MCCS
Time Warner Cable
Bright House Networks
Sprint Nextel
EMBARQ
and many more...

www.netnearu.com

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Yes 5GB capage thanks to Verizon getting the trend started.

I watch my limit to about 200 MB a day when using, I don't use everyday. I could still surf all I want, watch some youtube and still not hit that cap. I do updates or any big file transfer when I am logged in at home or at the office.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Not that I get out much anymore, but it's nice to sit with a laptop and cruise the web when you stop for coffee or commuting or something.
Waiting for the next train can get boring as hell!
I find the hotspot phenomenon handy at both the dentist's office and also the auto dealership when waiting for car maintenance.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to ninjatutle

MVM

to ninjatutle
FREE = FREE!
I have seen free wireless at 12-14mbps... what's AT&T 3G?

No worries about cutting into that monthly cap.
No need for an air card or USB modem.

Knock yerself out!

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

Knock yer self out surfing DSLR at 12GBs. Pretty much the same experience I am getting except your pages loaded yesterday while I'm still waiting.....
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

When free is really fee.

If Comcast restricts access their Wi-Fi Network to existing broadband subscribers the service is not free. It is just another perk to induce potential customers to select Comcast for their ISP.

One should ask: Is the included Wi-Fi service advertisement free? How many subscribers on the same account will be allowed to connect to the Comcast Wi-Fi network simultaneously?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to ninjatutle

MVM

to ninjatutle

said by ninjatutle:

Knock yer self out surfing DSLR at 12GBs. Pretty much the same experience I am getting except your pages loaded yesterday while I'm still waiting.....
12GBs?
12mbps
Sitting at a hotspot, I can download 1-2GB videos and have no worries about some POS 5GB monthly cap.
Sit there doing things other than surfing webpages and I could blow through your 5GB without knowing it.

No thanks!
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow

Same login/password?

I guess I would feel a little better if the login/password were different on the road. WiFi is still pretty hackable/sniffable.

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to dadkins

to dadkins

I'm sure the other patrons albeit it freeloaders, will be happy to know your slowing down everything with your Buffy the Vampire and Battlestar Galatica downloads..

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

2 edits

dadkins

MVM

said by ninjatutle:

I'm sure the other patrons albeit it freeloaders, will be happy to know your slowing down everything with your Buffy the Vampire and Battlestar Galatica downloads..
LOL! Give it up ninja!
I suppose you never use or take anything that is offered for free.

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

No you give up.

Yes, I have 5GB to burn where ever I chose to.

CheeseSteak
@verizon.net

CheeseSteak

Anon

Why didn't Comcast just take over EarthLink's network?

Instead they will just pay for their own and raise the cable rates...

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to ninjatutle

MVM

to ninjatutle

You just have to take swings, don't you!

I have endless to burn where ever I wish - Bluetooth to my cell!
Not cheap, but there's no limit!
One would be dumb not to use freely offered *FASTER* WiFi and save on their paid for service.

»www.wififreespot.com/

mikesterr
join:2008-04-18
Sanford, FL

mikesterr

We will have it when we have it!

said by Karl :

We'll have more on Comcast's new Wi-Fi efforts when we have it.
Well I should hope so!
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

802.11y

When will people learn that wifi isn't meant for a MAN. 100 feet max using any stock laptop. Plus competing with all the other 2.4 interference. Anyone wanting to set up a wifi mesh/gird/wide area coverage should only use »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IE ··· _802.11y and not pollute 2.4 even more. And you wonder why there isn't ubiquitous wifi coverage and cellular standards won.
YellowDart
join:2003-07-09
world

YellowDart

Could this be a trial?

Click for full size
These towers began to pop up in Boston (Back Bay neighborhood)

It is Comcast territory but there are no identification on them of any kind.

It is either WiFi or WiMax.
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

beaups to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: 802.11y

802.11y are you kidding??????

Let's see....

1.) The standard was just ratified 6 months ago
2.) The frequency is higher so penetration and range will be lower
3.) Show me a laptop or phone with built-in 802.11y
4.) It's a LICENSED spectrum

Nothing to see here, move along....

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to dadkins

to dadkins

Didkins, don't you ever think about anything other than taking movies from somewhere over the web and watching it on yer lil vaio?

People don't need 20gbs at every second of the day. I've been online all morning and only burnt 56mb.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: When free is really fee.

since it sounds like the same thing as cablevisions then anybody with a comcast username and password will be able to log in .
majortom1029

majortom1029 to YellowDart

to YellowDart

Re: Could this be a trial?

hmm the technology comcast and cablevision are using connect up to their network. usually on telephone poles. that i do not think is one because here in cablevision land i havent seen any of cablevisions wifi ap's mounted like that.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to CheeseSteak

to CheeseSteak

Re: Why didn't Comcast just take over EarthLink's network?

cause Earthlink doesn't own much of anything. It's mostly leased. They're dial-up numbers; leased, their cable modem network- resold on the Comcast and TWC network.- Very limited in Comcast though.

Earthlink doesnt really do anything but dial-up and DSL which is also resold (plus they'd compete against themselves in areas of DSL).
page: 1 · 2 · next