dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-03-02 09:29:15: Dish Network was already being hit pretty hard by the housing bubble, but AT&T's decision to cancel their partnership with the satellite company is only making things worse. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

DirecTV and FiOS better

Time for Cheep Charlie to step up to the plate!

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Re: DirecTV and FiOS better

said by fifty nine:

I would stick with my Dish Network over DirecTV. I've seen on site through friends what they're customer service is like. Not going to happen.

As for FiOS. It may be good and all, but since you can't even get it due to a rather lack luster build out (of course, the guys up the street have been able to get it for about 2 months now), the point is moot.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine

I was a DirecTV customer from 2002-2006. I had to drop them because I moved to an apartment with no place to put a dish.

Never had a problem with customer service. Had an UltimateTV that was repaired for free due to the protection plan, and a TiVo that gave no trouble.

No problems with customer service, no billing mistakes.

And compared to DISH - no dropped channels due to Cheep Charlie and his playing chicken with programming providers.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

And compared to DISH - no dropped channels due to Cheep Charlie and his playing chicken with programming providers.
Thanks to him many subscriber's bills have been kept lower then they would have been had Dish just rolled over to every price increase and bundling requirement the Content companies demanded (like Cable and DirectTV does)

icex
Premium Member
join:2004-05-22
USA

icex

Premium Member

I'm paying $74 for two rooms with basic television and stars network. New subscribers can get 4 rooms for what, $20-40? Rip off on my end. Plus theres nothing to watch anymore, and dish network won't redo my bill or anything.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Drop them.... Or threaten to.

I dumped them to save money (didn't sign on with Cable or DTV) and have been getting the come back offers.

yolarry
join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV

yolarry to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

I was a DirecTV customer from 2002-2006. I had to drop them because I moved to an apartment with no place to put a dish.
What about the windows or your roof or your car? lol

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight
I dunno about that. My experience with DirecTV customer service in the last couple of months has been stellar. I went with DirecTV because their packages and pricing are better than Dish.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

I moved from Dish to DirecTV, in my case Dish wasn't competitive. Dish also didn't have very good customer service during the last few years it provided service to me.

DirecTV has been great. I'm a 100% satisfied customer.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to PapaMidnight

Premium Member

to PapaMidnight
I've always had great experiences with DirecTV's customer service. The only reason I dropped them was because I wanted high definition DVR back when they were new. DirecTV's only option was the TiVo HR10-250. It was $1000 and I needed two. My other option was to rent two HD DVRs from Comcast for $20 per month (and yes, that's what Comcast charged me, someone forgot to include the other fees). Now that DirecTV's equipment costs are manageable I'm back with them.

Dish Network's customer service was unbelievably bad when I tried them. I was a new customer and ordered their HD receiver plus a couple standard def ones and dish. But just after ordering, they came out with a new model that worked with "HD ready" TVs that would save me from buying a $1000 ATSC tuner. I wanted to reutrn the HD receiver and keep the rest. Their CS required me to ship the dish back with the HD receiver, which would have left me with no dish and no way to complete the installation! They didn't care. I told them they've left me with no choice but to cancel the whole thing. They made no effort whatsoever to keep my account. Never again.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it
join:2003-07-29
Mulberry, FL

rec9140 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Direcrap is just that crap!

FiOS is for Data, period. The fact it offers voice and video is just like crapble, not relevant.I am not interested in bundles, or other crap.

And YES, I am a very HAPPY Dish sub since the late 90's, and I wouldn't even consider anything else.

HD > /dev/null so I could care less if this or that has HD. Dish is DVB which is digital already.

Maybe if you need some of the sports crap you need direcrap, even then it comes in a distance 2nd after Dish.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

LOL You are hillarious. FiOS is not just for Data.. just because you have a TV with a dial to change channels doesnt mean the rest of the world is like that.

You my friend, are the minority with opinions like that.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it
Mulberry, FL

rec9140

said by ITALIAN926:
LOL You are hillarious. FiOS is not just for Data.. just because you have a TV with a dial to change channels doesnt mean the rest of the world is like that.

I am here all week...try the veal and tip your waitress...

Fios is a data service, period.

I am so sick and tired of those idiotic commercials touting HD this, HD dvr, HD.... QUIT TRYING to compete with crapble. Bundles, schmundles..... Again not interested.

Some of us are very satisfied with getting video from some place other than crapble or Fios.

I have DBS, Dish precisely and am very HAPPY. crable and Fios video can not compete. If they work for you, great, but some of use are here for the data speed, and thats it.

Again, I am here all week...try the veal and tip your waitress...
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

JPL

Premium Member

said by rec9140:

said by ITALIAN926:

I am here all week...try the veal and tip your waitress...

Fios is a data service, period.

I am so sick and tired of those idiotic commercials touting HD this, HD dvr, HD.... QUIT TRYING to compete with crapble. Bundles, schmundles..... Again not interested.

Some of us are very satisfied with getting video from some place other than crapble or Fios.

I have DBS, Dish precisely and am very HAPPY. crable and Fios video can not compete. If they work for you, great, but some of use are here for the data speed, and thats it.

Again, I am here all week...try the veal and tip your waitress...
Wow... I guess I should call Verizon, then... because they managed to give me alot of channels. I guess someone needs to call them and tell them that 'they're just data'. I'm not even sure I understand what the heck that means. Digital TV programming is 'just data' too. You know, like the feeds you're getting from Dish. I'm glad that you're happy with your service, and you can pretend all you want that FiOS is not only competing but really kicking butt in signing up video subscribers, but that doesn't change the fact that yes, Verizon offers video.

Despite what you wrote, judging by the numbers, it appears that it's Dish that can't compete. Verizon added 303,000 video customers (net additions) last quarter... DirecTV added just a handful fewer at 302,000 net. U-Verse came in a fairly close third. You may not care about getting more HD channels and bundling and all, but apparently there are quite a few people who do.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it
Mulberry, FL

rec9140

Data=High Speed Computer Data service

Video= TV service be it in analog NTSC, QAM, etc..

I am very intimately aware of the means, methods, and formats used to send this data for these services to the end user.

Those biting on all those bundling deals will in the end pay more. Bundle deals are just come on cons to get you to switch and time limited.

No, thanks. This is the same bunch who will switch back from Fios to crapble every 6 months. Who needs that hassle. Install the stuff, and be done with it. Same bunch who has to change cell phones every 2 minutes, because some stupid Nokia in Neon Pink over the Fire Red came out. Same model, same features.

I install services once,unless there is a huge improvement in one over another ie: Fios over crapble for data.

The savings when the hassle is factored in is not a savings.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm

said by rec9140:

I am very intimately aware of the means, methods, and formats used to send this data for these services to the end user.
Yeah, you are sooo "intimately" that you call "High Speed Computer Data" - like if it has anything to do it's computer or not, LOL -, you claim Dish's service is DVB - which isn't because Dish use different modulation, ouch - and for some reason video means "TV service" which is the utter ROFLMAO...
quote:
Those biting on all those bundling deals will in the end pay more. Bundle deals are just come on cons to get you to switch and time limited.

No, thanks. This is the same bunch who will switch back from Fios to crapble every 6 months. Who needs that hassle. Install the stuff, and be done with it. Same bunch who has to change cell phones every 2 minutes, because some stupid Nokia in Neon Pink over the Fire Red came out. Same model, same features.

I install services once,unless there is a huge improvement in one over another ie: Fios over crapble for data.

What a bunch of ignorant nonsense - I hate cable but your beloved Dish is the classic price gouging PoS provider, you HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR 18-24 MONTHSor you will BUY YOUR STBs, you get BS HD quality (compared to FIOS) etc.

Stop spreading the ignorant crap, please.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it
Mulberry, FL

rec9140

said by kamm:
Yeah, you are sooo "intimately" that you call "High Speed Computer Data" - like if it has anything to do it's computer or not, LOL -, you claim Dish's service is DVB - which isn't because Dish use different modulation, ouch - and for some reason video means "TV service" which is the utter ROFLMAO...

Dish is DVB, to be precise DVB-S2

Dish was ahead of the DVB standard by using 8SPK over the QPSK DVB-S at the time.

FTA is DVB-S at QPSK

DVB-S2 support more than QPSK and 8PSK
it also supports 16APSK, and 32APSK.

I suppose I need to go into how each data format works too. I deal with this stuff daily.
said by kamm:
Jesus, you [bv]are a confused, ill-educated[/b] "konzumer".

Nobody claimed what you are fighting here - we just wanted you to elaborate that hilarious "HD > /dev/null so I could care less if this or that has HD. Dish is DVB which is digital already" line of yours...

Fios and direcrap are not better than Dish as the OP stated.

HD is a zero factor in choising thus HD > /dev/null

Matter of fact I am sick and tired of all the ads about this or that many HD channesl regardless of who it is be Dish or crapble or direcrap. If your only choice is that xyz has 100 HD channels and the other has 75. Big woop. They probably offer the channel in non HD. HD is not the be all end all that a very small videophile niche are driving it to be.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

JPL to rec9140

Premium Member

to rec9140
said by rec9140:

Really? The savings are limited, and not worth the hassle? Funny, because I probably save about $40/month over what I would have been paying with DirecTV. And I've been able to do that going on 2 years now. These savings aren't limited. Unlike DBS, I can actually reup my contract, without having to get new equipment - services like DirecTV give you discounts on hardware in exchange for a contract. Cable, and FiOS, give you a deal on your service. Yeah, I pay full price for the hardware, but my service gets a pretty big discount. And what's more, like I said, I can reup. Which I've done more than once already.

I guess I don't understand your position. FiOS offers now 106 HD channels in my market. No other provider (not Dish, not DirecTV, certainly not Comcast) come close. It's all uncompressed (that is, they don't do any additional compression on the signal), which gives me the best PQ I've ever seen. To sit there and claim that Verizon isn't really in the video game, despite all that, just defies common sense. They ARE in the video game, and they're kicking tail. You can ignore that fact all you want... doesn't change it at all.

You also list QAM as a transmission method for video - yep... just what Verizon uses. So... how are they 'only for data' again?

questionguy
@verizon.net

questionguy

Anon

umm, you are aware Directv provides the feed that FIOS offers through their service?

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Ummm NO

v35_pilot
Whoops, there goes another AMU
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Fayetteville, NY

v35_pilot to rec9140

Premium Member

to rec9140
said by rec9140:

HD > /dev/null so I could care less if this or that has HD. Dish is DVB which is digital already.
I am not sure I understand your point here. Are you stating that those who prefer HD are doing so because of the need to switch to DVB before the feds-mandated date of dropping analog?

I am also a long-time Dish customer (Aug 1996) who has been happy with my service, outsourced customer service being the exception.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it
Mulberry, FL

rec9140

said by v35_pilot:
am not sure I understand your point here. Are you stating that those who prefer HD are doing so because of the need to switch to DVB before the feds-mandated date of dropping analog?
HD in the US has been hijacked to translate as "digital."

The transition from NTSC to ATSC in the US has been so misguided to con the sheeple into getting TV's they probably don't need or want because you need "HD!"

NO! You need digital, ATSC for US OTA, QAM for crapble, if there is any QAM thats sent unecnrypted. DVB-S for Dish/FTA, DVB-T for real digital OTA (Europe/UK).

HD is a F E A T U R E of the digital formats.

HD is not a selling feature for me. Big whoop, this or that in HD....

Just because the local OTA switched to ATSC doesn't mean its HD 100% of the time.

The mess that is the digital transition in the US is not a transition to HD.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm

said by rec9140:
said by v35_pilot:
am not sure I understand your point here. Are you stating that those who prefer HD are doing so because of the need to switch to DVB before the feds-mandated date of dropping analog?
HD in the US has been hijacked to translate as "digital."

The transition from NTSC to ATSC in the US has been so misguided to con the sheeple into getting TV's they probably don't need or want because you need "HD!"

NO! You need digital, ATSC for US OTA, QAM for crapble, if there is any QAM thats sent unecnrypted. DVB-S for Dish/FTA, DVB-T for real digital OTA (Europe/UK).

HD is a F E A T U R E of the digital formats.

HD is not a selling feature for me. Big whoop, this or that in HD....

Just because the local OTA switched to ATSC doesn't mean its HD 100% of the time.

The mess that is the digital transition in the US is not a transition to HD.
Jesus, you [bv]are a confused, ill-educated[/b] "konzumer".

Nobody claimed what you are fighting here - we just wanted you to elaborate that hilarious "HD > /dev/null so I could care less if this or that has HD. Dish is DVB which is digital already" line of yours...

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
Dish Network is an excellent service, however.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Watch Dish come out and be aggressive with packages and pricing and the result is that Cable and others will feel some heat.

TuPaK
join:2002-07-21
Burke, VA

TuPaK

Subscribers may be down but profits are up

but for how long

»money.cnn.com/news/newsf ··· UNE5.htm
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

Dish getting what it deserves

Dish has gone bottom fishing for a long time and now it is getting hit hard. They have sold a good product but at a very discounted price to get subs and have also gone after the deadbeat customer who eventually rings up a huge bill and never pays. I'm betting the churn numbers are huge.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314

Re: Dish getting what it deserves

said by caco:

Dish has gone bottom fishing for a long time and now it is getting hit hard. They have sold a good product but at a very discounted price to get subs and have also gone after the deadbeat customer who eventually rings up a huge bill and never pays. I'm betting the churn numbers are huge.
Deadbeat customer, Well I pay My bills all the time, Even though I don't get much, Living in California isn't cheap, But I'm not at least a deadbeat as I pay My bills that I have voluntarily agreed to pay(But not some that were forced on Me, Eg: Desert Valley Hospital who ruined My leg joints in 2002, no rehab, for Profit Hospital, bah, more like for Greedy Profit Hospital), Hesperia Fire Protection District(Guess who they serve? It ain't the public). Yes I like Dish, I cut back on My TV and My Internet(Verizon DSL) and I'm doing Ok financially to a point, Now If My lotto numbers will win, Then I'll be doing really good.

rsa0
join:2003-01-25
Birmingham, AL

rsa0

Price / quality ?

Umm...drop the price and get a better programming. Maybe that will work. It is obvious that the actual model is wrong ...
Get a pay as you go model, so many people out there would adopt this, especially in this times. Forcing people in 2 year contracts won't work any more.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Re: Price / quality ?

My folks just signed up with no contract... they wanted $99 for that, but still got a free installation and a good price on the service package... cheaper than cable, cheaper than DirecTv, and certainly nicer to have than the 1, I repeat ONE channel of OTA DTV that they were getting - that, and there is no cable available in their location...

$100 setup, no contract, really isn't that bad of a deal...

Overall that's not a horrible drop - out of what, 13 million or so customers??? And DirecTv has 17 million? Big deal. About a decade ago, Dish/Echostar was celebrating their millionth customer... They should be happy they're still doing this well.

Everyone knows DirecTv is meant more for the hardcore sports fans, but it's good that they have some competition like Dish/Echostar to keep them in check. Not everyone cares to have every sports channel on the planet, some are content to have as little of it as possible. In such cases, a better 'deal' can probably be had from Dish...
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by amungus:

My folks just signed up with no contract... they wanted $99 for that, but still got a free installation and a good price on the service package... cheaper than cable, cheaper than DirecTv, and certainly nicer to have than the 1, I repeat ONE channel of OTA DTV that they were getting - that, and there is no cable available in their location...

$100 setup, no contract, really isn't that bad of a deal...

Overall that's not a horrible drop - out of what, 13 million or so customers??? And DirecTv has 17 million? Big deal. About a decade ago, Dish/Echostar was celebrating their millionth customer... They should be happy they're still doing this well.

Everyone knows DirecTv is meant more for the hardcore sports fans, but it's good that they have some competition like Dish/Echostar to keep them in check. Not everyone cares to have every sports channel on the planet, some are content to have as little of it as possible. In such cases, a better 'deal' can probably be had from Dish...
Direct tv also has competition from cable and they can merge with dish to kill cable and likely have the band with for 200-400 HD channels.

rabidmoose
join:2008-12-09
Arvada, CO

rabidmoose to amungus

to amungus
In the same quarter, DirecTV added 300,000 subs in the US, plus another 100,000 outside the US (I think mostly in Puerto Rico).

I've got a vested personal interest in this, and my opinion is that the main differences between Dish Network and DirecTV are Image and Marketing. While Dish's marketing is nothing short of terrible, DirecTV's comes across as hip and sexy.

Case in point: At the same time as DirecTV was running ads with Beyonce singing about "upgrading" to DirecTV, wriggling around in a shiny golden dress, Dish Network had Frank Calliendo (sp?) doing impersonations in front of a blank white background, usually appearing to misunderstand the product.
Which ad makes you want to buy a product?

It also doesn't help that DirecTV has a presence in MANY more brick & mortar stores (ex: Best Buy), and more than one bundling partner (ex: Verizon, Qwest), where Dish is more often seen in kiosks or shady-looking strip malls, and pissed away their relationship with AT&T.

Signed,
A Dish Network Employee
jp10558
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY

jp10558

Premium Member

Well, I'm pretty suprised. I was offered Dish at the same $99 setup fee + ongoing costs per month, with just the 2 month bill to start up. Of course, the Dish installer said they couldn't get a signal where I live, and I should try DirectTV.

I called DirectTV, but they wanted me to either sign on for 18 months OR pay upfront for all the parts and $50 setup fee. So as I understand it, to match the dual tuner DVR offer from Dish, I'd be paying $500 for the tuners, plus $50. PLUS I still had to pay a lease fee (if I bought the parts, why do I have to pay the same lease fee as if I was renting the whole thing?)...

The overall monthly price seemed about the same, Say $65-$70 plus each would have a lease fee (one for DirectTV for the second tuner as the first is "free", one for the initial dual tuner for Dish).

I don't need HD, I only have rabbit ears(which no longer work) and old SDTVs. I just don't want to commit to some 18 - 24 month contract or pay almost $600 to see if I get any value from the channels.

I wonder if Dish would be willing to see about putting the dish on a 20-30' pole to maybe clear the trees...

Eh, it's getting to be such a PITA, I'm probably just going to stick with Netflix.

richowens
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Oregon City, OR

1 edit

richowens

Premium Member

Dish

Not to mention that they still have the feud with Fischer Communications out West that has been almost going on for 3 months! I currently have them, but having no ABC for three months is going to put me into the count, not sure who I would go with, but I have either DTV, or Comcast to choose from. I am one of the lucky ones that am still in a 2 year contact, but will be forced to pay to leave.

Westofhere
join:2005-04-07
West Coast

Westofhere

Re: Dish

Ditto.
I gave DitchTV a try and had a horrible experience. When I signed up I was told by the rep that they had Fox HD,which was a must have due the Seahawks and NASCAR for me. After the install, guess what no Fox HD. I called and asked what the deal was...well we are trying to line it up, give up a couple months. 9 months later, still no HD and no solid timeline as to when they would aquire the rights. This along with having several DVR's crap out, the loss of ABC was more than I could bear. I called and terminated my agreement by paying a fee, of course (even though I never received what was sold to me).

To add to this I even had my in-laws sign up for there "service".

Having DitchTV was one of the worst service providers I have ever had and I for one will never use them again.
gopnick
join:2005-01-07
Benton, AR

gopnick

Charlie Ergen needs to step up to the plate

No MLB EI, No NFL Sunday Ticket, constant feuding with networks and affiliates, crappy On Demand content ... the list goes on and on. Dish Network is still a very strong company, but it won't be for long if Charlie doesn't change his mindset and act like he's got some competition.

•••
gadgetpig
join:2003-11-11
Chicago, IL

1 edit

gadgetpig

everyone is taking a beating

Everyone is taking a beating not just dish.

•••••••
oisanteria
Premium Member
join:2005-09-25
Kearny, NJ

oisanteria

Premium Member

I hope they die

Hopefully, someone will pay dearly for the loss of the VOOM channels.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 edit

me1212

I have 'em, like 'em. Would not drop unless I could get FiOS

But living in a rural are FiOS is unlikly to EVER get here. Last time I checked they cost less than directv, well for my set up any way, which is 1 dual tuner DRV, America's 250, 1 Sd receiver(will be up graded to HD receiver in September), and it will still cost less than directv(please correct me if I'm wrong I know directv has more HD, so if they cost less I would be ok with going to them.) The last time I checked was like in November, so IF I'm wrong please correct me I do not want to give people false info.

EDIT! I just looked and for 2DRVs(SD) and one HD DRV from directv the cost is the same as one dual tuner DVR and one HD DVR from dish, so with directv ahing 130 HDs VS dish's 65+ DTV wins my money in the summer/fall.

WICKED
@genext.net

WICKED

Anon

Crappy CSRs at Dish.

I had dish a few years ago and their damn crappy customer service sucked big time!

One time i was billed for premium channels (Starz) that i didn't ordered and they refused to give me credit even after tellin the various CSRs that i didn't authorized the addition of channels.....so in the end i ended up paying about a month for Starz.

Another time they decided to charge me twice for the same programming, again, no credit or fixing of the damn bill, so once again i paid it.

Another time their damn satellite download killed one of my receivers and the CSR agreed that indeed it was caused by their download but they wouldn't give me another unless i paid so much for another receiver.

After that i decided to go with DirecTV and i haven't had any of those issues that i've had with Dish.

Now i have another option besides satellite, fiber optics and not from Verizon.
eternal85
join:2006-09-14
Knox, IN

eternal85

theres more than just tv at stake

I had been a Dish customer (and a very happy one at that) for around 10 years. I even considered getting satellite internet since I couldn't get anything else where I lived.
I recently moved and was able to get Mediacom bundled with phone/tv/internet and never looked back.
I would have stuck with satellite had the price for internet service been just a little less ridiculous. I stuck with dial-up for that whole 10 years rather than get the crap Dish Network claims is broadband.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

The real story

Dish is losing customers because

1) Their HD-dual receiver only supports one HD set.
2) Cable triple-play offerings -appear- to offer more under teaser rates, including superior VOD.
3) Directv is bundling locals AND Fox News in their basic $29.99 package.
4) They continue to raise rates like everyone else and hide behind "the content providers made us do it."
4a) The stupid phone line requirement.

Dish needs to get back to its roots, when they offered DishPix, and give America ala carte options. Pair that with a true dual-HD receiver (no extra box to rent), and improve the pre-paid options (support dual receivers, ala carte subscriptions), and Dish will rise again.

••••••
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Dish

They used to have great pricing where you would save if you switched, but now cable is the same money wise especially cheaper if you bundle.
gtoken
join:2003-12-28
Fort Smith, AR

gtoken

Why not report positive instead of bashing DN all the time

Dish Network Profit Up Despite Subscriber Decline

»www.foxbusiness.com/stor ··· decline/

belawrence
They'll never let you in
join:2000-08-06
Santee, CA

1 edit

belawrence

Re: Why not report positive instead of bashing DN all the time

Because it's the popular thing to do, like bashing Micro$oft (you need to include the $ to get your point across), AMD, American auto makers, Sprint, etc. It's just fanboyism in another form.
hnd4me1
join:2009-02-14
Colton, NY

hnd4me1

The almighty Dish

I have been a dish network subscriber for years now. There customer service is down right amazing! i can call them at almost any hour of the day and NIGHT and ask questions. Just last night i called at 11pm and asked a simple billing question because i ordered a movie. Anyways, their packages are the cheapest i have found and DirecTV likes to charge out rageous prices. So even to think about their service you would have to bundle it with verizon phone plan (which is outrageous expensive as well). Cable is around 50,000$ to get to my place and fios will NEVER happen. I live in a rural area but good news is i can get DSL! Dish also offers a 2 room in 1 receiver which is totally unique and it allows you to save 5$ a month. DirecTV the packages are more and if you have two rooms there is extra fees. I am just very happy with the services and the features. Not to mention the HD DVR receiver i have has been highest rated from Cnet. Other family members have switched to DirecTV and didn't pay attention their was a 24 month contract. So for the first year they were all happy because the price was cheap and the following year all they did was complain that it was expensive. I told them they should of just stayed with dish!

quibbly
Premium Member
join:2003-02-07
Sugar Land, TX

2 edits

quibbly

Premium Member

Dave (dish network) forgot you reap what you sow

Has everyone forgot how Dave (Dish Network) used mafia style threats 6-7 years ago and going after people who purchased card programmers?

I purchased a card programmer not for Dish, but for programming ID cards. One of the sites was raided by Dish Police and received my contact information. They then sent me a nasty email stating that I had to pay them $3000.00 and admit guild of stealing a signal or be taken to court.

This happened to thousands of people and finally the courts became so tired of it started to dismiss cases. Yes, some were probably stealing sat signals, but a lot were not and using them for programming. Funny thing, just owning one does not imply guild. But to Dave, if you owned a programmer, you were guilty.

Dave is finally reaping what they sowed!

Here is a link to the article: »www.interesting-people.o ··· 185.html

•••

WeSRT4
join:2000-11-20
Mobile, AL

WeSRT4

Satellite market in general

Satellite is going to have rough time with the propagation of HD and rollout of high bandwidth wired solutions. Dish Network isn't keeping up with their competition and now they are going to pay for it. Maybe Sprint, Dish Network and Clearwire should merge to form a new TV/Phone provider that can offer their own triple play....

•••

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

fiber_man

Premium Member

customer service

I had dish network since 2003. I refuse to do business with adelphia/comcast.
I got ATT uverse installed about a month ago and I am glad that I did. I wont be losing the sat. signal any more during the summer rain storms. The only channels I got were the local OTA. It took me over 45 minutes to cancel my service with dish network. I rarely used customer service but that ordeal will weight on my decision to use them in the future.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

2 years contract.

How much does it cost to get out of a 2 year contract with Dish Network?

Jaybo
@mchsi.com

Jaybo

Anon

Dish

If they would get rid of the support they sent to India, they would be better off...nothing like calling support, hearing a thick Indian accent and they guy says his name is 'James'. I went to DirecTV and have no plans to go back.
page: 1 · 2 · next