dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-03-30 08:45:07: Confirming reports from last week, CNET reports that Skype will be arriving at the iPhone application store sometime on Tuesday. ..

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Pretty smart....

I think it's a good idea to have Skype of the iPhone. It could sway some people that were on the fence.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Skype for iPhone should probably be available for iPhones

If Skype for iPhone is going to arrive for AT&T Blackberry, I dont think theyre going to have very many users.
DA
join:2002-04-13
Greenville, SC

DA

What does this mean...

quote:
Skype for iPhones should arrive on AT&T Blackberries in May.
Does it really mean that Skype for the Blackberry is coming in May?

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster

Premium Member

yes. i just checked another blog. skype for blackberry in may

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Working on 3G

The Jail Breakers have a ton of SIP apps working across 3G that are only supposed to work across WiFi, I bet they'll figure out a way to make this one work too.

trebzon
join:2001-09-03
Grandville, MI

trebzon

Skype - Cool I guess

I guess it is cool but it really doesn't change anything for me. My wife has an iPhone and I have a iPod touch but I have been using Skype on my touch for months via the fring application. I can't see why I need the Skype application as Fring works fine and I can hook it up to other VOIP clients as well.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

What is this, the iPhone blog?

If the premise of posting this article is that this is a step towards "open networks", then it would have been wise to include the fact that the vast amount of windows mobile phones out there have had free skype-skype capability for years: »www.skype.com/download/s ··· smobile/

No mention of that, plus the addendum that Skype for Blackberries will be out sooner than Skype for iPhone really makes me begin to wonder about the objectivity of this site.
bigddybn
join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL

bigddybn

Objectivity? Here?! HAHAHAHA

You must be newer then your 2001 tag implies.
said by tiger72:

If the premise of posting this article is that this is a step towards "open networks", then it would have been wise to include the fact that the vast amount of windows mobile phones out there have had free skype-skype capability for years: »www.skype.com/download/s ··· smobile/

No mention of that, plus the addendum that Skype for Blackberries will be out sooner than Skype for iPhone really makes me begin to wonder about the objectivity of this site.
dandin1
join:2008-05-27

dandin1 to tiger72

to tiger72
With the iPhone, AT&T has the power (through Apple) to ban anyone without a jailbreak from using an app that it feels might compete with its cellphone service. That all the previous VoIP apps for iPhone never managed to get in the store isn't a coincidence.

The BlackBerry doesn't have these sort of problems, other than the microphone API being depreciated for questionable reasons.

So, this isn't particularly over-iPhone-centric since, unlike other platforms, this is actually something special. Which is extremely lame.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Proprietary Apple - the alternate 1984

This is the problem with Apple control over the apps. They say what apps you can and cannot use or how you can use it. Imagine if Microsoft tried that with Windows.

Am looking forward to the much more open Palm Pre very soon.

No Apple for me! They have become the very 1984 George Orwellian world they have previously chastised.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to tiger72

Premium Member

to tiger72

Re: What is this, the iPhone blog?

said by tiger72:

Don't like the content? Don't read it. Fairly simple if you ask me.
dcdeadbeat5
join:2008-10-07
Washington, DC

dcdeadbeat5

wifi is fine, 3G not really ready for voice

It is fine that it only works on wifi since today's 3G networks have too much latency for good VOIP over the 3G connection.

The one benefit this will have is to make the iPhone more corporate friendly as many companies are moving to using Skype for their phone services (www.skypeforsip.com for more info). This will make this easier and help control costs.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

1 recommendation

funchords

MVM

Paris Hilton as the iPhone Celebrity Spokesperson

Apple should make Paris Hilton the celebrity spokesperson for the iPhone. It seems fitting to have someone pitching the thing who is moderately sexy yet with no new or unique talent.

Seriously, why do people love this uber-locked device?
Of course calls on Skype for iPhone only work if you're in range of a Wi-Fi network
"Of course," indeed!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

Is this a big deal?

SKYPE has had java clients for their service for a long time. This is important news, but not earth shattering (except for the fact that APPLE didn't block a voip application).
BB_Hunter
join:2008-05-16

BB_Hunter

Big deal

People didn't need to have a "Jailbroken" iPhone to get VOIP. The applications Fringe and Nimbuzz can be downloaded right out of iTunes and they fully support VOIP through Skype as well as several other clients.

FUCK iPHONE
@consolidated.net

FUCK iPHONE to Matt3

Anon

to Matt3

Re: Working on 3G

said by Matt3:

The Jail Breakers have a ton of SIP apps working across 3G that are only supposed to work across WiFi, I bet they'll figure out a way to make this one work too.
Which SIP apps work on 3G. I had only heard of hacked version of fring..but that never seems to work.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Open wireless network?

Not hardly! Skype for iPhones is good because it means people can make calls at their home any time to other Skype users, without cost, and without sitting at a computer. Skype becomes more powerful with less incentive to be "open". You can't just make your own Skype compatible application.

The next step is to have "phones" with WiFi, that can install applications without restriction (this is the heart of open), including VoIP. Basically computers in a cell phone package, that don't have a cell phone plan. I think the Android platform is closer to this than the iPhone, but Microsoft is even closer, because they have software compatibility. MS just can't seem to do phones right.

It'd be bad business for carriers to sell something that doesn't require them, we shouldn't expect it to come from them. Probably Dell, a netbook maker, or former PDA maker.

The hardest step is network neutral universal wireless internet coverage. The only way to get that is to have so much demand for it, that the market can't ignore the demand. Google seems to be the only company with the will to make it happen, and they don't have enough cash to do whatever they want. Also, we need the current internet to be network neutral if we want the future internet to be network neutral.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords

Re: Paris Hilton as the iPhone Celebrity Spokesperson

said by funchords:

Apple should make Paris Hilton the celebrity spokesperson for the iPhone. It seems fitting to have someone pitching the thing who is moderately sexy yet with no new or unique talent.

Seriously, why do people love this uber-locked device?
Of course calls on Skype for iPhone only work if you're in range of a Wi-Fi network
"Of course," indeed!
Simple for me. I carried a phone, and I carried an iPod. Just like Reeses Peanut Butter cups, it is two great tastes that taste great together.

otty
join:2008-10-24
Revelstoke, BC

otty to axus

to axus

Re: Open wireless network?

As others have said fring has worked on the iphone for a long time for use with Skype, SIP and over both WIFI and 3G.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

Re: What is this, the iPhone blog?

one could say the same about your own post.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by tiger72:

one could say the same about your own post.
Right. Don't read my post either.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

1 edit

joako to FUCK iPHONE

Premium Member

to FUCK iPHONE

said by FUCK iPHONE :
said by Matt3:

Which SIP apps work on 3G. I had only heard of hacked version of fring..but that never seems to work.
How about this? I bought a Nokia E71 from Amazon.com... $280.. cheaper than an iPhone. Right out of the box there is no AT&T crap I will never use on it. Instead of paying $10/month for AT&T Navigator which requires cell phone reception, I bought Garmin XT for $99 one time fee, faster because the maps are on the phone and don't need to be downloaded.

It has a built in SIP client (unlike my previous AT&T-branded Smartphone) and it works perfectly over 3G.

No jailbreak, no hacking, just a good phone to use. On top of that I don't have to trick AT&T so they don't charge me $30 for an internet plan that is the EXACT same thing as the $15 plan, only because my phone has a certain serial #.

I think there is Skype for the E71, but I don't use Skype.

Oh and Fring never worked well for me on the Windows phones. Poor/choppy audio on the 3G and even WiFi. Sound only came out through the speakerphone (TOTALLY unusable). I think my Thinkpad T20 in 2000 on random WiFi hotspots got better VoIP quality than any AT&T cripple crap can do.

elias
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL

elias

Premium Member

Buggy

Pretty good for a first attempt, but the app still needs work.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to FUCK iPHONE

Premium Member

to FUCK iPHONE

said by FUCK iPHONE :

said by Matt3:

Siphon. I use it to connect to our work PBX all the time across 3G.
Matt3

Matt3 to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:

How about this? I bought a Nokia E71 from Amazon.com... $280.. cheaper than an iPhone. Right out of the box there is no AT&T crap I will never use on it. Instead of paying $10/month for AT&T Navigator which requires cell phone reception, I bought Garmin XT for $99 one time fee, faster because the maps are on the phone and don't need to be downloaded.
Your rant would be somewhat valid if I didn't pay $99 for my iPhone and it wasn't selling for $199 from AT&T.

And what in the world do you mean "AT&T crap?" The iPhone isn't loaded with ANYTHING related to AT&T other than the little AT&T logo in the status bar.

/me thinks you're ranting because you're just Anti-iPhone ... you don't actually know anything about it and have never used one.
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

1 edit

Bandito to elias

to elias

Re: Buggy

said by elias:

Pretty good for a first attempt, but the app still needs work.
+1. I got a LOT of cutting out. It's not as bad as some of the other iPhone apps as far as latency goes, but it's still not very usable for more than a minute or two. Still, I wont be going back to Fring as it blows big time. Nimbuzz is better, but not by much.