spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-04-03 11:04:58: Earlier this week, an unfinished copy of the upcoming Wolverine movie was leaked via BitTorrent. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

1 recommendation

Hey, is that...

...a link to The Pirate Bay, in the story itself? I thought BBR didn't DO that.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that Obama is in bed with the content industry (he's hired a number of their lawyers and lobbyists -- and look at the gift he gave the UK prime minister), so it's not surprising that when they say Frog, the FBI jumps.

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

Leaked by Bit Torrent?

It was leaked by someone using Bit Torrent. The summary makes it sound like the BitTorrent creators did it, LOL.

I'm sure they will catch where it came from, given the watermarks in the film, but that just means someone else innocent will probably get in trouble, probably a non-technical person I imagine.
--
Fight NebuAD and the like:
Click Here to pollute their data

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 recommendation

The summary makes it sound like the BitTorrent creators did it, LOL.
Really? "Leaked via BitTorrent" infers Bram Cohen leaked the Wolverine working print? No sure I see that.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Hell has no fury.....

Like an MPAA member getting screwed out of some money. In this case I am on the studio's side. But the FBI is like a elephant in a women's panty shop. What do you bet it was a insider working at the studio that posted the working copy.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1
reply to russotto

Re: Hey, is that...

said by russotto:

...a link to The Pirate Bay, in the story itself? I thought BBR didn't DO that.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that Obama is in bed with the content industry (he's hired a number of their lawyers and lobbyists -- and look at the gift he gave the UK prime minister), so it's not surprising that when they say Frog, the FBI jumps.
Any president would be in bed with the content industry.
--
There is no love untouched by hate
No unity without discord
There is no courage without fear
There is no peace without a war
There is no wisdom without regret
No admiration without scorn

firewire9999

join:2004-07-11
Livonia, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Transmaster

Re: Hell has no fury.....

Hmmm must have been the elephant wearing a blue thong that leaked it.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

Why?

Who would want to watch an unfinished copy anyways?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

blogs = spin

quote:
Simpson closed his online letter with the statement, "If you run a datacenter, please be aware that in our great country, the FBI can come into your place of business at any time and take whatever they want, with no reason."
What made the FBI investigate is a separate issue. If they have a warrant, however procured, that's not "with no reason."

Considering how easy it is to purge evidence, they needed to move fast. If I was Simpson, I'd be trying to get the backups duplicated so I could get my clients back online.

I'm sure he's cooperating to expedite that process.

Milli0ns

@bell.ca
reply to Rob

Re: Why?

said by Rob:

Millions apparently!

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
Long Beach, CA
reply to Rob
Click for full size
23,636 people

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

reply to Rob
said by Rob:

That and who would actually watch this movie in a crappy quality on their computer and be happy with it? I know I am going to see this movie in the theater when it comes out. I wouldn't waste my time with downloading even a cam version of this movie in full much the less an unfinished copy. I guess the quality of the movie means more to me than saving a few bucks. If I really want to see it, I will just spend the money and do so.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

Go to your local car stereo shop and purchase one of the handheld camera bootlegs they sell. If they'll watch that crap, they'll watch this.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

1 recommendation

A film worth it?

said by Karl :

If true, it begs the question whether the revenues of a film studio are worth disrupting the revenue streams, connectivity, and 911 services for dozens of other companies.
Absolutely not.

mskittykat
Reality Bites...So I'm Back
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Transmaster

Re: Hell has no fury.....

Most likely...

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
Long Beach, CA
reply to Matt3

Re: A film worth it?

And is it worth a FBI investigation? IMO, NO.

Let the MPAA/RIAA hire their own chumps.

mskittykat
Reality Bites...So I'm Back
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Nightfall

I don't think it's so much that but rather people just want to see it before it arrives... kind of like a person who buys a new model car the year before it's release.....
--
"Smart is knowing your ABC's. Intelligent is knowing how to use them."

rayeger

join:2003-07-05
Lakeland, FL

If they were smart...

All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.

Stop using the taxpayers money to use the FBI to solve your problems!!!

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium
join:2001-08-29
way way out
reply to Nightfall

actually the quality is dvd....and is quite good

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
Long Beach, CA
reply to rayeger

Re: If they were smart...

said by rayeger:

All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.

There will probably be ways to get around that. They already blur watermarks

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
reply to rayeger
What do you think the watermark is?

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to hopeflicker

They do. They are called US Government and all its related branches.

DufiefData

join:2006-06-13
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to Matt3
It is absolutely worth it -- this is a theft that could cost an American company tens- to hundreds of millions of dollars. It's a gross theft of intellectual property and creative material and it has to be stopped.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to hopeflicker
said by hopeflicker:

And is it worth a FBI investigation? IMO, NO.
The studio spent $100 million dollars making this movie. That automatically makes it of interest to the FBI - very high profile and an easy win to track down the leaker.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
Long Beach, CA
reply to DufiefData
said by DufiefData:

It is absolutely worth it -- this is a theft
Hey! look, there's that word again.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to rayeger

Re: If they were smart...

said by rayeger:

If they were smart...All of these promotional DVD copies of movies that are sent out for people to watch, they would encode each with a unique code so that when they get leaked, could be traced back to the source.
The copies are encoded. I am sure it was very easy to find who the leaked copy was assigned to. But then they have to find out:
did that person pass it on?
was it stolen from that person and copied and returned?
who was it passed to?
how did it then end up on a specific server available to all?
etc.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

Is the datacenter owner going to be charged?

It sounds like they are seizing the datacenter as if they are collecting evidence to put Matthew Simpson in jail. Otherwise there would be no reason to conduct a raid, or surround his house.

It would be pretty insane if they are going to raid datacenters and charge the owners and employees rather than just show up with a legal notice requiring the datacenter to take down the offending box and hand it over. As well as provide copies of any available logs.

If this is really connected to Wolverine, it makes no sense. If it is connected to any customer content, it makes no sense. These actions only make sense if Matthew Simpson was directly involved in some kind of digital crime syndicate that he was running out of his datacenters.

Bit00
Premium
join:2009-02-19

4 edits

Have money, get service

Our gov't is the best money can buy.

All I see is people crying for the poor MPAA member's possible losses. If this was caused by the movie investigation what about Core IP's losses and their customers' losses? Who is going to reimburse them when they're found to not be involved in the slightest?

Perhaps Core IP would be spared such callous action and have Senators and Representatives calling on their behalf if they contributed as much to Federal campaigns as the MPAA does.

said by FBI :
The FBI isn't commenting on specifics but said it could take several days to restore the servers of the affected companies. Officials say they could speed up their analysis of the web servers if the affected companies would contact them.
Wow, how generous of them. God forbid they get off their lazy asses and "speed up analysis" without being begged by decimated companies.

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

movies

as long as movies stay with the CGI format, there will be theft of the movies. they are easy to steal with a thumb drive. that is part of the reason that the last Indiana Jones movie was not found anywhere until it had been released. it was filmed using traditional film, not all this fancy ass digital animated stuff that hollywood calls films. too many people have access to the computers that have the movies, so without restricting access to the machines, it is an open door for a thief.

Bit00
Premium
join:2009-02-19

1 recommendation

reply to DufiefData

What about Core IP? What about Core IP's customers? Who is going to compensate them for their losses?

When it turns out that Core IP had nothing to do with it, the MPAA membership and FBI should be liable to reimburse Core IP and their customers for this avoidable interference in their business.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
reply to hopeflicker
said by hopeflicker:

said by DufiefData:

It is absolutely worth it -- this is a theft
Hey! look, there's that word again.
Yeah, it's a knee jerk reaction by people when they call infringement theft. I suppose theft is much more glamorous sounding and attention getting than infringement.

That being said, theft is a possibility if the person without authorization took the media on which the movie was stored.