dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-04-07 10:54:19: Last week we noted how an FBI raid on a Dallas data center disrupted business for around fifty companies -- including DSL provider Lighning Bolt Technologies, who told us their users couldn't authenticate with the RADIUS server held at the location. ..

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

3 edits

Transmaster

I am sure Wolverine.....

would have been more then helpful if the FBI had not invaded the place like a bull in a china store. Core IP Networks could have had things setup so the FBI got what they wanted without disrupting the business's this data center serves.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

Re: I am sure Wolverine.....

Wolverine is a movie. I think you mean Matthew Simpson.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

said by insomniac84:

Wolverine is a movie. I think you mean Matthew Simpson.
Thanks for pointing that out. This is what happens when I try writing something before my morning dose of caffeine

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to insomniac84

Premium Member

to insomniac84
I was very confused by that, I thought Wolverine was some sort of Conflickr variant or something. Forgot about the movie...

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Ok, now THAT gave me a laugh

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Transmaster

Premium Member

to Transmaster

Re: I am sure Matthew.....

said by Transmaster:

would have been more then helpful if the FBI had not invaded the place like a bull in a china store. Core IP Networks could have had things setup so the FBI got what they wanted without disrupting the business's this data center serves.
That is most likely true, however, because an informant mentioned the meeting with Faulkner, it was probably more of a "trust but verify" type of action. In other words, Matt is not a suspect in any criminal activity, but it is a remote possibility, and why give him the opportunity to cover his tracks?

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Transmaster

to Transmaster

said by Transmaster:

That assumes that the FBI felt that Simpson was not involved and was an innocent bystander. If he was involved, then asking him to help would be the wrong approach since he could hide or destroy the evidence. While I agree that the FBI screwed up by harming the other companies that were colo'ed there, I can see how they might want to assume the worst possible situation and not involve Simpson in their investigation.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by RARPSL:

That assumes that the FBI felt that Simpson was not involved and was an innocent bystander. If he was involved, then asking him to help would be the wrong approach since he could hide or destroy the evidence. While I agree that the FBI screwed up by harming the other companies that were colo'ed there, I can see how they might want to assume the worst possible situation and not involve Simpson in their investigation.
Lets have a "trusted witness" say you operate a kidney laundering and stealing business. Hooker in Vegas hotel style. FBI will be breaking down your door.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

So who would compensate

genuine companies operating from that datacenter?
They suffered losses, maybe together exceeding that ones from Verizon and ATT.
Should they sue the government?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: So who would compensate

Normally you can't get anything from the government in the event of a raid or warrant was brought in. Its like if they raid your house and kick your door in, they will not pay for the door. If they take your computers, they do not have to give them back.

The FBI can claim that what they did was required to fully obtain the information they needed for their investigation.
wierdo
join:2001-02-16
Miami, FL

wierdo

said by hottboiinnc4:

Normally you can't get anything from the government in the event of a raid or warrant was brought in. Its like if they raid your house and kick your door in, they will not pay for the door. If they take your computers, they do not have to give them back.
This is only true if you are actually part of the criminal enterprise.

They couldn't, for example, steal my neighbor's computer because they thought I had done something wrong.

Nor can they keep the equipment unless it was actually used in furtherance of a crime.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
I supect that no judge would have authorized any such "raid", in such a manne,r had he, or she, known that the likely damages or revenue losses to innocent companies would probably exceed the size of the potential original crime being investigated. Those suffering should hire a lawyer to approach said judge and discuss the situation. Perhasps these 2 parties could agree a course of action.
It cannot be that law enforcement can unilaterally create a larger commercial problem than that of the original complaint.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

This was a criminal investigation so I'm not sure civil damages are even on the radar.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by RadioDoc:

This was a criminal investigation so I'm not sure civil damages are even on the radar.
Valid point... and if they were, they'd say "Take it up with the crooks.... IE the losses from your downtime are their fault."

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
Actually, considering that the judges usually were DAs first, they probably have a pretty good idea of what an FBI raid looks like.

At the end of the day, though, the most admission you will get is that the loss in revenue for other businesses is "regrettable".

It would be like the FBI closing your office's street down because some store across from you is laundering crack. You lost business to their "operational security" (OPSEC). You can't sue against that, assuming due diligence on their part.
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
You don't sue the government. You sue the agent who is named in the warrant for failing to take appropriate precautions to avoid harming innocent people. This is the equivalent of having a bad guy shooting at you and shooting and killing every innocent bystander in between you and the bad guy.

SAL678944
@scar.utoronto.ca

SAL678944

Anon

So..

So, whats up with going to Simpson's house and tracking him down like a dog about?

stroonzaa
@bellsouth.com

stroonzaa

Anon

complexity

This pretty much should demonstrate the complexity of co-locations.

JohnNWPVNJMH
Premium Member
join:2007-03-26
Berkeley Heights, NJ

2 edits

JohnNWPVNJMH

Premium Member

Internal / External Storage Device

See List of Items to be Searched or Seized part 4 in the warrant PDF.

How is a "Video Display Monitor" a "storage" device?

They FBI may as well just say the truth in such search warrants and say "everything and anything we want to take we will take" otherwise they risk sounding foolish to any technical minded people.
JohnNWPVNJMH

JohnNWPVNJMH

Premium Member

Re: Internal / External Storage Device

Wow, after fully reading that warrant over some fresh coffee I can say those guys deserve the chair! I can't believe what a web of deception they ran.

Out of curiosity a whois on one of their fake companies claims that over 300 domains are associated with the email address noc@crydon.net. I suspect there is allot more fraud that will be uncovered.

»whois.domaintools.com/cr ··· tech.net

»whois.domaintools.com/crydon.net