dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-05-08 10:33:53: AT&T's decision to run FTTN instead of FTTH has remained a sticking point, with AT&T's top U-Verse speed (after video) sitting at 18Mbps downstream for customers within range. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

bigd9834
@pacbell.net

bigd9834

Anon

regular dsl speeds

any idea when they are going to increase regular dsl speeds from 6mb?
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

kd6cae

offering more speed for those that want it

Not everyone will want the bundle. Some will want just internet, and for those customers, they should give more bandwidth to the internet, allowing customers to perhaps get 20Mbps down maybe 2mbps up. If a customer only wants internet, then give the customer more bandwidth for internet only. This is where Verizon shines, as even with HD, the bandwidth is there to provide everything one would want.
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

radougherty to djrobx

to djrobx

Re: It can go faster then 18 Mbps

said by djrobx See Profile
I don't think the FTTN strategy was necessarily a bad idea, but they needed to put nodes closer to homes. With closer nodes at 50-100mbps, the product would have so much more longevity. It just wasn't smart to bet on "uncooked" technology. By the time something comes along to improve on VDSL, it's going to be needed to match the competition. [/BQUOTE :

Why did AT&T go with FTTN vs. FTTH, IMHO it was strictly cost. Now the question is in the long run will it really be a cost savings to AT&T? How much more will it cost to go back and retrofit the VRad's for pair bonding? How much more will it cost for extra hardware at the home? What about where there isn't an extra pair of copper availble in tne existing infratstucture, how much more to install some? How much more to install more VRad's to reduce the distance to get the faster speeds? How much more for the maintance and electrical costs for those VRad's? Even then, after spending all these dollars to get to what, 4 concurrent HD streams of TV will that be enough to support what consumers want? HDTV penatration rates are going up and between moew HD sets in the homes and HD DVR's IMHO 4 streams won't be able to handle demand in a few years.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Brandon1979

to Brandon1979

Re: AT&T is smart, IMO...

said by Brandon1979 :

Also, even if they get a late start to upgrading to FTTH, and their Internet speed competitiveness is substantially lacking, they can simply drastically under-price their Internet speeds to see them through until the FTTH is built out,
what in at&t's past has indicated they would ever do that?
stonecrd
join:2001-08-04
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits

stonecrd to Technogeez

to Technogeez
I'm kind of confused by this article it was my understanding that VDSL2 and pair binding are completely different solutions, although I assume you could pair bond VDSL2 if you can do so for VDSL. Also it states there are problems with maintaining 25mb lines using VDSL2 and as we all know AT&T is using VDSL and is maintaining 25Mb sych out to 3000' in most cases and that VDSL2 like pair bonding is expected to double distance and bandwidth. So some inconsistencies for me.

Now as for their strategy only time will tell whether FIOS, VDSL or something else wins. I am a UV user, I don't need more than a 6Mb Internet connection but I would like 3-4 HD streams. I like UV because while the AT&T infrastructure might be a limitation I think IPTV is the correct delivery mechanism.

In the end the market will decide, UV has to be competative or they will loose to satellite, cable, FIOS or something new. In the end more choice helps everyone.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to TheGuvnor

Premium Member

to TheGuvnor

Re: AT&T is doing it right.

Except for the whole part of At&t paying to have 1000's of contractors put in pair bonding in all homes, then pay for fiber and have 1000'd of contractors put it in all homes?

Lets not dorget the multi million dslams.

At&t is doing it right, if doing it right means burning more money then Verizon ever will.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to cornelius785

to cornelius785

Re: Should have done FTTH from the start.

said by cornelius785:

I don't understand this fanboy-ism of ftth vs fttn. ...snip...
that the lose sight of what really matters, performance, power, and price
how about using your list of what really matters and compare U-Verse to a FTTH option. i'd love to see the results and how you don't see why people here are upset about AT&T's technology choices.
morbo

morbo to TheGuvnor

to TheGuvnor

said by TheGuvnor :

Many said this would have been impossible.
no, many said it was a short-sighted plan by AT&T. i'm not sure any large number of people said it couldn't be done.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit

en102 to TheGuvnor

to TheGuvnor
There are a few factors to consider:

1. Aerial vs. Buried (as you noted) this varies in each location, as it will affect cost
2. Cost now vs cost later (this is the gamble) - hoping to offset future upgrades with current subs
3. Do they really need +18Mbps residential ? If AT&T's costs are less, they 'can' (even though they don't) sell for less.
4. Attempted not to scare wall-street.

If AT&T 'had' the ability to wire at the curb every few residents from fiber, it would be close to 100Mbps/house. I'd say within 5 years it'll be overhauled, or AT&T will be offering cheaper Internet service to keep subscribers.
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7 to Brandon1979

to Brandon1979

Apparently, Brandon1979 is sucking up ATT Prozac by the hand full. His world view is just a wee bit too rosy... not to mention illogical, illusionary and delusional.

I live in an ATT monopoly area, five miles or less from Verizon land. It is like living in East Berlin looking over the wall to the free world. It is the juxtaposition of the efficacy of well-funded modern western medical pharmacology (Verizon) vs a slimy snake oil salesman's (ATT) preposterous, ineffective and likely poisonous concoctions. As the industry is presently constructed, as in the world of Highlander, in the end, there can be only one. Unless, territorial distinction and monopoly area based competition is eliminated in favor of true competition.
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy to Brandon1979

to Brandon1979
How do you figure AT&T has the most competitive TV offering? We have 3 HDTVs in our house each with a Directv DVR that is able to pull 2 HD channels at the same time. Cable can do this, satellite can do this, Uverse cannot and probably won't be able to until they go fiber.

DalyCityUser
@comcast.net

DalyCityUser

Anon

Wow

They are pretty much hitting the wall already?

It's going to be fun to see them trying to offer 20Mb internet (or 40Mb bonded) while dealing with various distance limitation for each customer.

In the mean time, cable and FTTH can expand their speed up to 100Mb and beyond.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

1 recommendation

alchav to burgerwars

to burgerwars

Re: Should have done FTTH from the start.

said by burgerwars:

FTTN instead of FTTH is the one reason I didn't sign-up with Uverse. It's never too late for AT&T to start laying fiber on the last mile. AT&T are you listening?
I don't think they can easily change to FTTH with the existing design. All the Electronics have to be changed, and it takes AT&T 5 to 10 years to research and change Technologies. 5 years ago, Uverse with VDSL sounded good, but now it's obsolete and like I said years ago, AT&T dug themselves into a hole. Now the Bean Counters and BellHeads at AT&T are doomed to fail!
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to jandar1

to jandar1
Some areas under Project Lightspeed were rebuilt from Copper to FTTH. They're very very limited though. One is in the Monroe Michigan area. But they're still limited on bandwidth. They're capped at what ever DSL is. So really ATT is just playing games with the money. They'll milk it out until Comcast really runs them out and ATT sells off the network.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to TheGuvnor

to TheGuvnor

Too bad it crashes all the time for me...

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to djrobx

MVM

to djrobx

said by djrobx:

I don't think the FTTN strategy was necessarily a bad idea, but they needed to put nodes closer to homes.
Just how are they supposed to do that? The VRAD nodes are placed adjacent to the existing SAI fan out points of the F2 lines.

Placing more nodes would require chopping up and re-engineering the copper network to include "mini-SAI"s with each of these new nodes (mini-VRADs) that you want to deploy. Can you imagine the POTS outages this re-engineering program would cause while the new SAIs were installed?

If, say, they halved the copper loop distance with these closer nodes than what they have now, that would mean they would be installing at least four times more SAI/node boxes than they are now. Certainly these hypothetical boxes would be smaller than the current VRADs because they would be designed for fewer connections, but four times more installations would cause more grief from four times more property owners that would find these new boxes installed on their property ROW.

The current overbuild VRADs are installed next to existing SAI cabinets which are often the same height or taller than the VRAD additions (a fact that Karl always fails to report in his "VRAD exposes" ). The property owners already know that they have a cabinet on their property so the addition of a VRAD shouldn't be such a shock to them.

tad2020
join:2007-07-17
Orange, CA

tad2020

Here in Tustin, CA, AT&T has started going back and installing more VRADs where they just finished installing them. These are the full VRADs they've used before and at some places they're placing new full SAIs too. Some of these new ones are just a block from another. I'm guessing they're having some serious issues getting things working properly here when even 2000' loops aren't working.

The VRADs the use here are just as tall at the SAIs but twice as wide, so they block the sidewalks more which as been causing them to move things around a lot. Some of "mega" VRADs they install near housing developments are nearly 6' tall and 4' square. I've seen a few "tall and skinny ones around in nearby cities, their like 5'x2'x3', but they have only been installed next to the old PacBell DSLAMs that are the size of a small SUV.
poolek
join:2003-11-04
Austin, TX

poolek

more to it than just current line speed

I'm a recent uverse customer. I'd prefer to see FTTH, but I don't think going FTTN is a deal killer. There are many alternative ways to maximize the connection:

- Networked DVR, recording 100% of the content and allowing users to go backwards in the program guide. Microsoft already has this technology enabled in Mediaroom. If ATT deploys that, you'll only consume bandwidth on channels you're currently watching since you won't need to record anything local.

- Wireless integration - their new 3g stuff is what - 20mb down? Integrate some of that technology in the RG to support additional bandwidth when needed - or set up local Wifi mesh-like networks in dense areas.

- ATSC Tuners - add a couple of the DVR ala Dish/Direct. Further reduction of bandwidth needs when watching local content

- Improvement in technology - 10 years ago, 'fast' over copper was 128k ISDN. Today, I'm 2700 feet from the VRAD and sync at over 40mb/sec. Who knows what we'll see 10 years from now. Similar things with compression technology - the quality/size ratio seen today with MPEG4 was unthinkable a few years ago.

With FTTH, they wouldn't have to worry about any of this - but technology has a way of fixing things if you wait long enough, and it appears ATT's strategy is to wait.

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it
join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI

TMMerlin

FTTN makes great business sense

FTTH is gross overkill in rebuilding a network when there is so much copper already in the ground. FTTH does make sense in new or replacement construction.
Speeds over 10meg for Internet is a "fools wish" .. as long as TV gets delivered competitively.
I have seen 3meg & 8meg access .. hardly a "hairs difference" for the average internet user and I am not a fan of ITV, so U-versus TV is just fine.
And I didn't let AT&T screw me on the landline phone number either. I backed that down to "basic residential line" of under $20 and use my cell phone for LD.
Comcast can take their 50Mbps and DOCSIS 3.0 and "sell it to somebody that gives a crap". The cable industry screwed me for years and I will NEVER go back to cable...!!
cwh
join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX

cwh to djeremy

to djeremy

And how often do you actually have all 6HD streams going? How often do you think the average joe has all 6 going? While such a limitation may be problem for yourself, for the vast majority it is not even an issue.

U-verse is currently limited to 4 incoming streams and they still have no problem getting customers. ATT has spent 1/3 to 1/2 of what verizon did and they are both attracting customers at about the same rate.

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to jefflisa2

Premium Member

to jefflisa2

Re: Your World. Delivered.

Close, SBC bought them and kept the at&t name which I though was stupid. They should have let the name die!
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

Waste

The Vrad deployment cost + distance serviceable for Uverse is rather horrid.. It would work for the projects and dense subdivisions and the like, but for normal deployments it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.. why deploy such a range limited technology when other things are available? Do they want to fail? Or are they just that happy to be unsatisfactory in quality of service?

I still wish ATT would sell my territory to a local provider that'll actually take care of us.. I've seen a many local's upgrade their equipment, granted the cost is slightly higher than ATT's, but damn, i'd pay it in a heart beat... I just want to be a customer with an option
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy to cwh

to cwh

Actually, being that 3 of us live here and all watch different prime time shows, quite often. And remember, anyone buying a new TV or even a second or third TV for their house will be buying an HDTV.

I thought that AT&T was only able to push 2 HD streams and 2 SD, or 4 SD at the same time.
cwh
join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX

cwh

said by djeremy:

Actually, being that 3 of us live here and all watch different prime time shows, quite often. And remember, anyone buying a new TV or even a second or third TV for their house will be buying an HDTV.
You are quite correct on that. And it is still going to take a decade or so to replace every SD tv out there.
I thought that AT&T was only able to push 2 HD streams and 2 SD, or 4 SD at the same time.
That would still be 4 total.

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to bigd9834

Premium Member

to bigd9834

Re: regular dsl speeds

Probobly about the same time as when I will be able to get DSL and up upgrade from 19.2K dialup.

tad2020
join:2007-07-17
Orange, CA

tad2020

I drove by one of the tall, skinny ones at lunch, they're taller than the DSLAMs (which are already 6'), I'd say they're 7'x4'x2.5'. They're huge actually, they just don't look like it next to those monstrous DSLAMs.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

FTTH is the future.

Data is the future. to be so short sided that they wouldnt rebuild their network doesnt make much sense.

All of the new "smart" devices will use some sort of bandwidth, consumers will continue to pull more and more information/entertainment from the internet. In 10 years will 20/40 mbps be enough?? ATT is doing its customers and our country a disservice by not building their network out to support increased speeds and capacity.
w4ncr8
join:2000-10-27

w4ncr8

Cannot get AT&T to install a DSLAM BOX by the time they do they will have to install two or three boxes at each location, here comes the BIG REFRIGERATOR BOXES.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to CaptainRR

Premium Member

to CaptainRR

Re: Your World. Delivered.

said by CaptainRR:

Close, SBC bought them and kept the at&t name which I though was stupid. They should have let the name die!
The name doesn't matter to me, all that matters is if the service is reliable, has good customer's support, and have good internet speed and good prices.

pizmo pete
join:2007-10-24
Portland, CT

pizmo pete

Why wait for fiber?

The Company paid $6 Billion on the 700 mghz spectrum last year. 700 mghz can go 25 miles between towers,key is, due to it's low freq., it can penetrate concrete walls without interference. Now, add wireless cell repeaters to Vrads and give the customers a new wireless router. At&t's costs of deployment now,solved. No digging in gated communities to cut bridgetap in the buried, No more 6 hr installation nightmares. Condos and apartments now don't need rewiring. Why waste money on pair anything, or even fiber, when they plan to get it to you over the AIR. They cannot afford to wait and play later game, because it will be too late then.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next