dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-05-08 10:33:53: AT&T's decision to run FTTN instead of FTTH has remained a sticking point, with AT&T's top U-Verse speed (after video) sitting at 18Mbps downstream for customers within range. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

so how far..

can this technology go? (miles)

moddestmike
join:2009-01-26
Houston, TX

moddestmike to pizmo pete

to pizmo pete

Re: Why wait for fiber?

said by pizmo pete:

The Company paid $6 Billion on the 700 mghz spectrum last year. 700 mghz can go 25 miles between towers,key is, due to it's low freq., it can penetrate concrete walls without interference. Now, add wireless cell repeaters to Vrads and give the customers a new wireless router. At&t's costs of deployment now,solved. No digging in gated communities to cut bridgetap in the buried, No more 6 hr installation nightmares. Condos and apartments now don't need rewiring. Why waste money on pair anything, or even fiber, when they plan to get it to you over the AIR. They cannot afford to wait and play later game, because it will be too late then.
You are correct but I see this being a future alternative, maybe after deploying LTE, they still have not even began to maximize the capabilities of HSPA/+. Although I must say their 3G service is spotty at best, while coverage appears to be good I get frequent drops/timeouts even when standing still. Not to mention speeds are not even within 50% of expected from 3G radio enabled devices.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4