spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-06-29 17:56:59: Comcast today gave their rebranded version of Clearwire Mobile WiMax service a new name: "Comcast High-Speed 2Go." According to a Comcast press release, the new service launches tomorrow in Portland. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

4G?

Can we please force the carriers to stop throwing around the 4G term when the service provides nothing close to actual 4G speeds?

jeff17

join:2000-12-11
US
4G is more than just speed.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

Price advantage

According to this there is no price advantage. Its easier to tether, and pay the same amount, and have existing nationwide coverage. Plus Wimax isnt considered 4g in some groups.

dmelling

join:2009-02-26
New Paris, OH

What Markets?

What are they going to do......just rebrand in every city that Clearwire launches.....Atanta...Las Vegas? This is not helping those of us that are looking for a provider to have more coverage.........

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

1 recommendation

I think this is great news

It sounds like you get mobile broadband and home Internet for a cost of $70. Since Verizon currently charges $60 just for mobile broadband, this could be a serious challenge. I hope Verizon competes with this.

It will be interesting to see how you can use the WiMax service. Are you locked into only using a Comcast device? Can you buy a device and use a VOIP application to make the device your cell phone. I think that would be a real game changer. For $70 a month, you would be getting home internet, mobile broadband, and cell phone.

I am interested to see how this plays out.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Plans data only; wonder if smartphones planned in future

After reading the news and the Comcast press release, it looks to me like these are data only plans for laptops, netbooks, etc and bundled with home internet access as well. The prices look very good for that. Pay $42.95/month for home HSI only and for $49.99 you get mobile data access at home and on the go in your metropolitan area.

I wonder if they plan on having some smartphone option as well as just the data card option for laptops in the future? Of course, that would get Comcast in to the mobile cellphone business in league with Sprint. Is that a step they want to take?
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

anjorusso

@speakeasy.net

wimax is pretty cheap..doesn't matter if it's not too fast

you can get 2 mobile unlimited accounts for $50...so it's $25 per unlimited account....which you could also by the way use as home internet....who cares if it's cold 3g, 4g, 5G or 60000G? it's unlimited internet on the go for a price comparable to the cheapest dsl connection out there....stop being greedy people....wimax is not that cheap but it's cheap enough...but wimax, lte, 3G will go belly up once white space devices come to the market in a couple of years from now...

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to DaveDude

Re: Price advantage

said by DaveDude:

According to this there is no price advantage. Its easier to tether, and pay the same amount, and have existing nationwide coverage. Plus Wimax isnt considered 4g in some groups.
The plans they announced INCLUDE home wired HSI internet access as well as the mobile portion. The metro plan would only add about $7/mo to your bill. That sounds like a price advantage to me.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to sonicmerlin

Re: 4G?

sorry they can and will trough 4G around until they start it all over again with 5G

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to OwlSaver

Re: I think this is great news

said by OwlSaver:

It will be interesting to see how you can use the WiMax service. Are you locked into only using a Comcast device? Can you buy a device and use a VOIP application to make the device your cell phone. I think that would be a real game changer. For $70 a month, you would be getting home internet, mobile broadband, and cell phone.

I am interested to see how this plays out.

Me too. There are a lot of possibilities here. Comcast becoming a mobile cell phone provider by them selves or with Sprint? Selling smartphones with VOIP NOT disabled? Becoming a true Quadruple Play seller of internet, TV, landline voice, mobile voice & data?
--

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to dmelling

Re: What Markets?

It sounds like areas that have gotten the D3 Launch

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

caps

And what are the caps and P2P throttling and DPI?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I would bet the same 250GB soft cap
and no DPI (they wouldn't dare)

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

What's DPI?
--
»Check this out!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to sonicmerlin

I think they are using 4g as meaning 'more than what 3g can do'. That said wimax is NOT 4g, 4g is(in sweden anyway) 100/50 some wimax cannot do(I thinik wimax is about 70/I forget the UL) LTE can do 100/50(its what sweden is using).

Epikos
Surpass the Usual or Ordinary
Premium
join:2003-07-27
Hillsboro, OR

HSI, wimax, and the data card for $50?

So they're bundling 12mbps home HSI and 4mbps WiMax for $49.99/mo for 12 months? And this includes the WiMax data card for a laptop? That sounds like a hell of a deal...
--
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to fonzbear2000

Re: caps

said by fonzbear2000:

said by patcat88:

What's DPI?
Deep Packet Inspection = Evil

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Epikos

Re: HSI, wimax, and the data card for $50?

so then what do you get if you pay for a busi account at your home?

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to FFH5

I want to see what happens too, I will admit I am rooting for verizon because I prefer LTE to wimax.

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Deep Packet Inspection = Evil
I don't think that DPI is inherently evil.

But I will agree that some of the possibilities that become available with DPI are evil.

anderboy

join:2007-07-23
Leander, TX
reply to me1212

Why do you prefer LTE?

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to anjorusso

Re: wimax is pretty cheap..doesn't matter if it's not too fast

Clear wire has no cap? I wonder if that will change when comcast starts selling it. and I mean I wonder if CW will get a cap, I expect CC to keep their cap.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

I'll bring it up...

is this rolled into one big cap or are there two seperate caps?and if there is a 5GB cap just as an example on the wimax part, does that 5GB cap also count against your 250GB wired connection and vise versa?... also whats the non-promotional cost? and how can you have national access when there isnt even a national wimax network yet?

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to sonicmerlin

said by sonicmerlin:

Can we please force the carriers to stop throwing around the 4G term when the service provides nothing close to actual 4G speeds?
This is spewed over and over and over here... why is there a need to clog up BBR when it's not going to change anything? So are we destined to hear the "4G term" anytime a BBR article is posted on it?

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to anderboy

It can do 100/50 with 10ms ping, an ISP in Sweden is doing so with LTE, wimax can only do like 70/I forget. Wimax may cost less than LTE, but LTE is IMO better. I would subscribe to ether right now if it has no cap as right now there all I can get is a 512/128 from the local WISP.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29

Priceless

Bummer. Our network doesn't cover your area yet but we'll let you know when it's available. Please enter your contact information below to become a CLEAR Insider and sign up for Email updates on the latest CLEAR developments:

flyingjoey

join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ
reply to me1212

If you really think you're going to see a 100/50 in this country I want some of whatever you're smoking.

People talk about LTE like you can go to the store and pick it up. LTE AIN'T here yet. WiMax although limited... But it is already here, you can buy the freaken modems. But anyway...

MinnComcastCust

@brimark.com

To Bad you can't order the "Nationwide" service Nationwide

The service that they are promoting for $69.99 - Home 12 Mbps Internet + 4G/3G Internet is a great price if you are currently paying Comcast $42.95 + Sprint $59.99 - saves $32.95/mo - but they won't take my order.

Even though I travel to their existing WiMax and future WiMax areas the main benefit for me would be the lower cost access to the Spring 3G EVDO national network for half the price.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

Took you long enough.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

Comcast WiMax

We think this should come with the already over-priced HSI service.. with a one-time free hardware gimme.

Thanks, but no thanks. Not at these prices.