dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-06-29 17:56:59: Comcast today gave their rebranded version of Clearwire Mobile WiMax service a new name: "Comcast High-Speed 2Go." According to a Comcast press release, the new service launches tomorrow in Portland. ..

prev · 1 · 2

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to FFH5

News Guy

to FFH5

Re: Price advantage

Pricing is nice. The added $30 for existing double/triple play is nice as well.

Only problem is of course network footprint, and whether Clearwire goes belly up due to LTE pressures from AT&T and Verizon, which I get the feeling is probably inevitable.
Karl Bode

Karl Bode to MinnComcastCust

News Guy

to MinnComcastCust

Re: To Bad you can't order the "Nationwide" service Nationwide

Yes, Ironic that "nationwide" means one city, nine cities tops by year's end.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Nice deal

$92.95/month is $60 + $33. So the cable portion of the bill is just $33 if you price it out as 3G + internet. That's actually quite competitive. Considering internet in my area is $55 or $65 I'd actually think about getting this deal.

Put another way, it effectively (for Comcast cable customers) makes EvDO + WiMAX $40...on Sprint's network!

Then again the price might be a you-must-get-this-with-cable option. Which would be highly lame but expected. Anyone know?
Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium Member
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

Corydon to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse

Re: I'll bring it up...

It would appear that there are two, possibly three separate caps.

There's the 250 GB on your home service, the 5 GB when using Sprint's 3G service (if you sign up for that), and whatever cap Clearwire has on their 4G service (I don't see any mention of one on their site, but it may be buried in the fine print of the contract somewhere).

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Ben

Premium Member

to Ben

Re: caps

So are guns, and sex is of the devil.

You can't call anything inheritely evil.

phoneboy3
@shawcable.net

phoneboy3 to me1212

Anon

to me1212

Re: I think this is great news

LTE and WiMAX are very similar standards capable of very similar speeds. You should educate yourself more.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Price advantage

said by Karl Bode:

Pricing is nice. The added $30 for existing double/triple play is nice as well.

Only problem is of course network footprint, and whether Clearwire goes belly up due to LTE pressures from AT&T and Verizon, which I get the feeling is probably inevitable.
They really need to add phone service, and then they really have a great product. Althought most smart phones can do voip,but none are wimax.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to iansltx

News Guy

to iansltx

Re: Nice deal

The price already includes 12Mbps cable, but still, the first 12 months is a pretty good deal. The price after 12 months ($72.95 and $92.95) isn't quite as hot.

Again, biggest issue will be footprint.

A massive cable company's wireless broadband ambitions constrained by the growth of Clearwire? A company that has to do battle with both AT&T and Verizon? Were I a betting man, I wouldn't bet on Clearwire to come out on top.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to pokesph

Premium Member

to pokesph

Re: Comcast WiMax

It does. You may need reading comprehension in order to order though.
Samsonian
join:2007-06-15

Samsonian to me1212

to me1212

said by me1212:

It can do 100/50 with 10ms ping, an ISP in Sweden is doing so with LTE, wimax can only do like 70/I forget. Wimax may cost less than LTE, but LTE is IMO better. I would subscribe to ether right now if it has no cap as right now there all I can get is a 512/128 from the local WISP.
That's not quite right.

Mobile WiMAX and LTE are probably 80-90% the same from a technical standpoint, their main differences are in business models.

Regarding the definition of "4G", you're correct in that it doesn't meet the true definition of 4G. But no standard currently does, both Mobile WiMAX version 1 (based on IEEE 802.16e) and LTE version 1 (3GPP release 8) are considered 3.9G or more ideally "Proto 4G", as they are both on the 4G track.

Mobile WiMAX version 2 (based on IEEE 802.16m) and LTE version 2, called LTE Advanced (3GPP Release 10), are under development right now and will be backwards compatible with their respective standards. Both expected to be submitted to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) for inclusion in IMT Advanced, which is considered true 4G (100 Mb/s mobile, 1000 Mb/s stationary).

Also theoretical speeds or lab speeds don't really mean much in practice, especially if they're using a massive amount of spectrum and backhaul to get their big numbers. It doesn't happen in practice like that. We've seen this before from telcos, with their previous and current marketing for 3G.

All else being equal, both standards will offer similar performance. In practice though, WiMAX providers generally have more spectrum, which make a big difference (case in point: AT&T's network problems). Clearwire has a lot of spectrum, over 100 MHz in major markets, and a lot of experience with wireless Ethernet backhaul. Clearwire should be able to offer more speed and actually deliver on it.

Clearwire has commercially deployed Mobile WiMAX. It's here now, you can buy a device for around $50 and hop on their network, and it's rapidly expanding over the next few years. Intel is working hard to get WiMAX in every laptop, just like they did with WiFi and other standards like USB. I don't see that happening with LTE as it exists now, as it's a telco controlled standard.

The whole standard war might be end up being moot in the long run. The standards are so similar, there will likely be devices that support both. There were also attempts to unify WiMAX and LTE a year or 2 ago, but obviously they didn't bear fruit. I suspect it has to do with the telcos not wanting to give up control. That doesn't mean they still can't be combined in the future. Hopefully by the third or fourth version of WiMAX and LTE, we can have a single wireless WAN standard.

rr55
@comcast.net

rr55 to pokesph

Anon

to pokesph

i pay 61.95 for 12mb down 2mb up. i think it is not bad. att for stand alone dsl was 40.00 for 3mb up to 6mb/ when i run test on comcast connection i alway get above 12mb down 2up

ert
@comcast.net

ert to Corydon

Anon

to Corydon

Re: I'll bring it up...

it might be label under the acceptable usage policy
Samsonian

Samsonian to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Considering the separate standalone monthly prices of Comcast HSI ($45-$55), and Clearwire's Clear service ($30-$50), or Sprint's 3G/4G EvDO/WiMAX service ($80). Buying the bundled home and wireless internet service from Comcast ($73 and $93 respectively) is a relatively good deal.

I think Comcast might ultimately buyout both Sprint and Clearwire (and TWC for that matter, once the FCC cap is completely overturned in the courts) so that it can fight AT&T and Verizon more effectively and on a more level playing field. Comcast won't sit idly by while AT&T and Verizon make billions of dollars a year off wireless, and come after their core pay TV market.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

It does. You may need reading comprehension in order to order though.
well I see it say:
quote:
• Comcast High-Speed 2go Metro service costs $49.99 for twelve months ($72.95 thereafter) and comes with 12Mbps Comcast home broadband service and a Wi-Fi router. The service uses a Mobile WiMax data card that will obviously only work in areas where there's Comcast/Clearwire Mobile WiMax.

• Comcast High-Speed 2go Nationwide service costs $69.99 ($92.95 thereafter) and also comes with Comcast 12Mbps home broadband service and a home Wi-Fi router. The service uses a dual-mode data card that allows users to float between Clearwire's Mobile WiMax network and Sprint's 3G EVDO network.

last time I checked HSI was about 43.00 for the 12mbps base plan.. not 74.00 (after contract time)
Perhaps you 're the one who needs some reading comprehension lessons.

tmh
@verizon.net

tmh

Anon

No caps is good

I'd try this if there were truly no caps

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to pokesph

Premium Member

to pokesph

After contract time still includes wimax and 12 mbit :\

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702

Premium Member

Mobile Internet no worky with Mac

To bad their Mobile Internet doesn't work with Macs :'(
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 edit

me1212 to Samsonian

to Samsonian

"Hopefully by the third or fourth version of WiMAX and LTE, we can have a single wireless WAN standard."

That would be cool.

"which is considered true 4G (100 Mb/s mobile, 1000 Mb/s stationary)."

1000m(1g) fixed? Wow, that would be so cool to actually use.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Easy answer: pump more cash into CLWR.

My question though is whether the bundle can be had without CATV.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Will it come with a monthly 250 gigabyte bandwidth cap?

Will this Comcast service come with a monthly 250 gigabyte bandwidth cap?

phoneboy3
@shawcable.net

phoneboy3 to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode

Re: To Bad you can't order the "Nationwide" service Nationwide

A bunch of other cities like LV and Atlanta and Chicago are online but the services has not 'officially' launched there yet. They are probably still adding points of presence to fill in some holes.

If you sign up for the service and hook up the device it will work in several cities now. Just no guarantees until it 'officially' launches in the city.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

comcast + sprint ?

Sprint is hooking up with Clearwire, Comcast is hooking up with Clearwire, with roaming agreements on the sprint evdo network.

Is comcast eyeing sprint as a prize?
Samsonian

Samsonian to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Easy answer: pump more cash into CLWR.

My question though is whether the bundle can be had without CATV.
You're right. Clearwire has about $3 billion to build out its network through 2012, but they'll need to raise more capital after that. They've said they need about $5-$6 billion to fully build a national network. Comcast can certainly afford that, they make several billion a year and recently made $1.5 billion offer to buy back bonds. AT&T and Verizon have made tens of billions of wireless, Comcast can't just let them have it without a fight, even though they're entrenched.

I don't see why they wouldn't sell the bundle without CATV, although they might charge another $10 a month more.
Samsonian

Samsonian to slckusr

to slckusr

Re: comcast + sprint ?

said by slckusr:

Sprint is hooking up with Clearwire, Comcast is hooking up with Clearwire, with roaming agreements on the sprint evdo network.

Is comcast eyeing sprint as a prize?
That's my take as well, although it may take years for it to happen, and it's been a regular rumor for years now. Sprint clearly has problems, there are some clear advantages to a tie up that allows both to better compete against AT&T and Verizon.

For Sprint/Clearwire:
A return to fixed lines
Residential / Small-Medium Business
Financial resources

For Comcast:
National Wireless Network (~50 million customers)
Big Enterprise / Government customers (a who's who list of high value customers)
SprintLink Tier 1 backbone (at cost bandwidth, although bandwidth is cheap)
Global Presence
prev · 1 · 2