dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-07-08 16:10:28: Ok, sure, Charter Communications hasn't been profitable since the company went public in 1999, posted a $2. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

$hit floats!

That's about it....
ender7074
join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074

No suprise

Charter has a well earned reputation for paying large sums of money to complete morons that only excel at making things worse instead of better. On top of that, after they jack things up beyond belief, they get fired and paid millions. I'm glad I jumped off of that sinking ship years ago. Idiots at the wheel -- the Charter moto.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

So, how do you really feel about those running Charter?
DoubleK
Doublek
join:2003-03-04
Beloit, WI

DoubleK

Not suprising when you sign your own paycheck.

I am glad that my Charter HSI has been flawless the last 18 months.

I am equally as glad AT&T is out in force today preparing UVerse which may not compete with DishNet ooooooooon the TV side but will give me options if Charter HSI starts that sucking sound again.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 recommendations

DataRiker

Premium Member

Unchecked greed

wow, just wow. This is everything that is wrong with America.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Pay for performance is just for the little fish, eh?

Where is the logic in doubling this guy's salary? I know it's the titanic he's driving, but still. That is pretty dumb even for Charter.

anon51
@rr.com

anon51

Anon

Paid for failure

This is also true for Time Warner Cable. Their CEO's compensation was almost double that amount. During that time, the service and offerings went downhill fast.
It seems the more of a MORON you are, the higher the salary you get.
Welcome to America !!!!

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

CEO's

Another one of America's dumba** CEO's. Brainless idiots.
matrix3D
join:2006-09-27
Middletown, CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

matrix3D to ender7074

to ender7074

Re: No suprise

I don't know much about Charter, but from a general point of view I have to question what the f*ck this country has come to when we reward complete idiots for failure. What's next? People getting into the National Honor Society for a full semester of D's and F's?

It's not wonder things are so bad today when we have morons running the big corporations, morons running the small businesses, morons in the House and Senate, and morons in the White House.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

cabana to rudnicke

Mod

to rudnicke

Re: CEO's

They do it ... because they can...

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

2 edits

1 recommendation

ToxicDrew to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
said by rudnicke:

Another one of America's dumba** CEO's. Brainless idiots.
Actually I would reconsider you're statement. If he's so dumb why is he making $7.4 million dollars?! I'd say he's fu***ing brilliant
BTW: Does the CEO get a discount on Charter services?

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

My stock went from $3.75 to $0.15

But as long as he makes his money.
wvcaver
Premium Member
join:2005-04-17
Millersburg, OH

wvcaver

Premium Member

I will be CEO

I would like to be CEO and I will only charge them 1 MIL. a year
and they will still loose $$$$$$$ but they will save 6 MIL. +

Sounds like a win win for me and Charter !

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to qworster

to qworster

Re: $hit floats!

Lets see... they paid him $7.4 mil in CASH, and the companies market cap is $9.08 mil. All I can say is WTF! Are they stupid!
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

2 edits

1 recommendation

radougherty

Too much inbreeding

And who determines these salaries, other members of the board of directors that are on the compensation commitee. These other members usually are other senior exec's of other companies, so when they can pay someone this amount of money for failing they can go to their boards and say I'm worth a lot more then that, I didn't loose any money and they get it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to en102

Premium Member

to en102

Yes. They are.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Look at the pic

Is that a shit-eating grin or what?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

sonicmerlin

Problem

Of course this is the reason corporate apologists who argue for corporations' "rights" drive me nuts. An entity not recognized in the constitution, derived entirely through legislation at the federal level, which allows the individuals involved to be completely responsible-free if the company fails, does *not* have the "right" to make as much profit as possible at the expense of the consumer.

The whole purpose of creating corporations was to encourage investment, bold leadership, and intelligent risk taking that along with strong competition would jump-start innovation in nearly every industry. So much for the American dream.

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB

Premium Member

I wonder where is..

The resident Cable Company defense team? Usually when Karl posts an article like this, they come out in full-defense mode. very very interesting.
ender7074
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074 to ToxicDrew

to ToxicDrew

Re: CEO's

You bet. All employees get at least cable and internet for free. We didnt get phone when I worked there.

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

POB to sonicmerlin

Premium Member

to sonicmerlin

Re: Problem

said by sonicmerlin:

[...] So much for the American dream.
It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.
ender7074
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074 to StevenB

to StevenB

Re: I wonder where is..

Hey, I liked Charter's service. It was as good as my satellite and didn't go out when it rained and the HSI kicks the shit out of AT&T's joke of an internet connection. I got no problem with the service. It's just the morons that run the place that I have a problem with.
ender7074

ender7074 to DaSneaky1D

to DaSneaky1D

Re: No suprise

After spending 4 years in that circus... I'm really toning the language down about how bad that place is.

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

Failure

Reward for failure?
Sounds like a good business plan

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 edits

FFH5 to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo

Re: Pay for performance is just for the little fish, eh?

said by morbo:

Where is the logic in doubling this guy's salary? I know it's the titanic he's driving, but still. That is pretty dumb even for Charter.
As a stockholder in many companies I don't want to see overpaid execs even more so than many people here that hate corporations.

BUT, please remember that Charter probably didn't have any choice in what they paid the CEO in 2008. When he was hired the company signed a CONTRACT with his compensation no doubt laid out in pages of excruciating detail and checked over by a group of lawyers hired by Smit. They had a choice when negotiating the contract, but after that their hands are tied.

So, don't look for logic when trying to understand why an under-performing company doubled a CEO's salary after a bad year. That ship no doubt sailed before 2008 results were known.

What is needed are Boards of Directors that negotiate CONTRACTS that are tied much more tightly to meeting profit goals and not just the desire to get a so-called superstar CEO. And there should be terms that allow firing without any golden parachutes if the goals aren't met.

Will that mean, the Board won't always get the person they want? YES!! But if more Boards followed this practice, then prices will come down on CEO salaries and more accountability will be in the contracts.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to radougherty

Premium Member

to radougherty

Re: Too much infreeding

man why can't I get sweet jobs like this?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

That's it... I QUIT!!!

I will quit answering posts....

Man I thought being a good tech was worth something. Apparently I am in the wrong profession.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to StevenB

Premium Member

to StevenB

Re: I wonder where is..

said by StevenB:

The resident Cable Company defense team? Usually when Karl posts an article like this, they come out in full-defense mode. very very interesting.
Well... it is Charter we're talking about after all.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to qworster

to qworster

why dont i get payed out millions ?????

big businesss is a real sick thing.one more example of stupidity and greed.

this system is broke and it needs fixing !!!!

telcotech
IBEW 2222 Boston, MA
Premium Member
join:2004-09-02
united state

telcotech

Premium Member

How much...

...would they pay this guy if Charter actually turned a profit?? Did they double the wages of all of Charter's employees, too?
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next