dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-07-21 10:56:20: New FCC boss Julius Genachowski has so far been allowed to skirt confrontation by riding the middle ground, his public discussions on broadband (including at his confirmation) not really choosing sides on a slew of controversial topics ranging from g.. ..

Jigsaw
Stardust We Are
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Cleveland, OH

Jigsaw

Premium Member

BOHICA

Nuff said...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Jigsaw:

Nuff said...
Yes, what we've got is another lawyer trained since birth to actually never say anything at all. If you say nothing, you can't be accused of lying and you can't be held accountable for promises you have never made.

PS:>> Read the full WSJ Q&A at this link:
»www.google.com/url?q=htt ··· 157.html

mrkevin
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Premium Member
join:2007-08-07
Aurora, ME

1 edit

2 recommendations

mrkevin

Premium Member

Typical

He probably doesn't either hear or understand the questions.
This the typical way these people answer questions, by saying what they think the people want to hear.

some of his phases and words:

respect for the power of private industry
create jobs
generate economic growth
respect for markets
market-driven innovation
job creation
opportunity
job creation
economic growth
innovation
job growth
economic activity
innovation and competition

As you see from these two statements it is just a bunch of meaningless babble. I bet he got a list of "key words" to hammer on.

For example:
Job growth
economic growth
innovation

He put's it all together in this answer from the Q&A
the Internet has been the most successful driver of economic growth, job creation and innovation, perhaps, that we've had in the country

We are so in for it. This "stimulus" is going to ruin America. Some day it's going to all catch up with us and we won't have anything left to fall back on.

As Bruce Williams say's
"You cannot borrow yourself into prosperity"
rdmiller
join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

rdmiller

Talk Talk Talk

He gave his first interview since taking office and Karl thinks he's talking too much. (I know I've promised several times not to criticize Karl. Can't help it.)

mrkevin
Premium Member
Aurora, ME

mrkevin

Premium Member

No, the problem is:
He's not saying anything...All the answers sound the same.
I think we need someone in there who knows broadband is not the name for the latest all girl band.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to rdmiller

News Guy

to rdmiller
Talking is fine. Actually saying something while you're talking is important, however.
Expand your moderator at work

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 edit

PapaMidnight to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Talk Talk Talk

said by Karl Bode:

Talking is fine. Actually saying something while you're talking is important, however.
...and everything he responded with was stated like a true politician or lobbyist: skirt the question without answering it directly.
rdmiller
join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

rdmiller to mrkevin

to mrkevin
He's not an idiot like Powell or a pawn like Martin, so the worst label you can apply is that he's too uncontroversial. And he's been on the job almost a month. This is going to be a long four years!
jaminus
join:2004-10-14
Arlington, VA

jaminus to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: BOHICA

Yep, this is a recurring problem with FCC appointments. The two most important elements of communications policy are 1)engineering and 2)economics. Understanding not only how networks work and how they are deployed but also the economics of supply and demand and measuring competition are crucial.

Does Genachowski have an engineering degree or any real technical experience with networks, wired or wireless? Nope. Does he have any training in microeconomics or public choice theory? Nope.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

waiting

He is waiting for someone to walk in with a suitcase filled with money before he makes up his mind what special interest he will support (remember Google/Net Neutrality is a special interest).
patcat88

patcat88 to mrkevin

to mrkevin

Re: Typical

said by mrkevin:

For example:
Job growth
economic growth
innovation
Sounds like he is a die hard pro-business, who wants to use grants and pork to enrich the regulated.

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer to jaminus

Premium Member

to jaminus

Re: BOHICA

Theres a mini-bio at Ars.
»arstechnica.com/old/cont ··· wski.ars

that doesn't make me feel any better.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: waiting

Net neutrality is a "special interest" for the consumer.
jay_rm
join:2002-04-12
Netville

1 recommendation

jay_rm to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

said by PapaMidnight:
said by Karl Bode:

...and everything he responded with was stated like a true politician or lobbyist: skirt the question without answering it directly.
Actually, his entire administration acts like they're still running for election. Note to Dear Leaders: Election over - time to do real work - SOME of your 'subjects' can tell the difference between BS and positive results
lesopp
join:2001-06-27
Land O Lakes, FL

1 edit

lesopp to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight
That's because he's waiting on his puppet master to either pull the strings or put his hand ...

Like all the other half baked promises I've heard in the past six months. This guy won't do anything to help us, only the pres's elitist buddies.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 edit

wifi4milez

said by lesopp:

That's because he's waiting on his puppet master to either pull the strings or put his hand ...

Like all the other half baked promises I've heard in the past six months, this policy will not be designed help us only the pres's elitist buddies.
I actually dont think the policies are meant to do anything other than convey the appearance that someone is doing something. The more they (the whole administration) talk about doing things, the less actual work they need to do. Its a great system, keep trying to sell the "dream" (even though the election is a distant memory already), while scrambling behind the scenes to figure out what to do. Want to waste another week, setup a bunch of "meetings" with the press!

EDIT: I should add that the one thing the administration is FANTASTIC at is spending our great grandchildren's money. That and "not raising taxes" (yeah right!) of course.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin

Re: waiting

said by sonicmerlin:

Net neutrality is a "special interest" for the consumer.
I know. Thats why all hope is not lost. There are entities with money and influence behind the consumer on that topic (net neutrality), but only because it meets their capitalistic agenda (3rd party streaming on demand PPV, VOD, and telecomferencing/social networking).

mrkevin
Premium Member
Aurora, ME

mrkevin to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88

Re: Typical

He sounds like a puppet, I wonder if you can see his strings as he walks
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Actually in order to help fund the national healthcare plan the government plans to raise $500 billion over 10 years by taxing the rich.

I think the stimulus money has been spent well enough to help stabilize the economy. There's the usual waste and special interest back-scratching that goes along with this much money, but overall the government seems to have done a decent job.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by sonicmerlin:

Actually in order to help fund the national healthcare plan the government plans to raise $500 billion over 10 years by taxing the rich.
Sure thats what they say, but who do you think employs the "poor"? Every business will pass the 'new' cost of doing business on to their customers. This new policy will literally have the opposite effect of the famed "trickle down economics", by actually increasing the costs of goods and services (and raising taxes at the same time).

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Agreed. I need that conviction from him, or else that bleak outlook on BB policy continues with the lip service(s). Even if it is flying in the face of years of FCC "performance", so be it. Please, do something. We (as in RURAL AMERICA) have been waiting. NBC even did a piece on Monday about "LACK" of rural bb.